Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

An Unwanted Baptism (Corvus!)

Started by Eckhart_Von_Musel, May 29, 2018, 04:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"And then, Grand Master Mordecai Mercer was all like 'Never suffer an evildoer to live', and she stabbed the bad guy right through the chest!"

Fonzo Von Lohengramm sighed. It was early Ansgar's Day morning, and church still had yet to start. Dressed in his white acolyte robes, the boy handed leaflets to the slow trickle of people entering the building. Most took the flyers without so much as a "good morning", which was always disheartening.

"What about you? Did you hear any good hero stories lately?"

Fonzo looked across the the small entrance hall at the other acolyte- a young White Lily by the name of Adharah- and shook his head. "Sorry, I really haven't!" The boy shifted his weight slightly, crossing his arms. "Besides, even if I did you wouldn't like them. You only wanna hear about girl heroes."

Adhara put her hands on her hips, scowling. "Well duh! That's cause girls are braver than boys!"

"Nuh-uh!" Fonzo said as he handed out another two leaflets. "What about Ansgar? He was a hero and he was so brave he became God!"

The girl stamped her foot on the ground. "No fair! He doesn't count!"

"Yeah-huh he does!" the boy replied immediately, giving away his last paper. "He's gotta count, he was the best!" Walking towards the back of the room to get a second stack of leaflets, he looked back at the younger child. "Like, he was so brave that he- OOF"

Having not looked where he was going, Fonzo walked right into a priest with an urn of water in his hand. The water splashed onto his robes as he stumbled, seeming to harmless roll off instead of soaking through. "Ah! Sorry Father Perry, It won't happen again!"

Corvus

--KATARINE--

It was the Lord's day.

In accordance with that, she'd polished her armor till it reflected the sun in hard glints of light, ironing and starching her tabard to crisp stiffness, scrubbed her face clean, and plaited her hair into a a tight bun. To present anything less than the best for Ansgar was to disrespect the One, particularly in his own House.

Satisfied, the Adhara clinked off from the barracks and towards the great temple of Ansgar, her scarred chin lofted. A few people muttered hullos to her or dipped their heads in respect for the sigil emblazoned on her tabard.

Filthy commoners, she thought, pursing her lips at the crowd of people slowly shuffling into the church.

"Part," she barked, pale hand twitching on the pommel of her sword. "I have business in the Temple. Aside." Eyes widened, the rabble parted for her as if she were the prow of a ship cutting through water; she could see atop most of the parishioners and to the great, open oak doors welcoming them like open arms.

Someone flapped a pamphlet in her direction but she barely registered their existence. She'd just opened her mouth to greet Father Perry, but instead he attention was drawn to the small boy that near-barreled into the priest.

OOF! To her horror, water sprayed from the urn—and then, to her further horror, seemed to glide off the boy without effect. The front of his robes did not sop wet, nor did it dent the grubbiness on his face.

Was she imagining things...? Katarine's cold eyes narrowed, fixing the boy with sudden suspicion. No, surely not...

"Be careful where you're going, boy," she warned in a low voice, squatting to better study him. Her gaze scanned his face, from the shock of red hair to his gormless brown eyes and dirty cheeks. God, he was filthy! In church, of all places! "Holy water is a precious thing. To spill it is heresy."

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Fonzo froze, then slowly turned his head to look at the woman,his eyes s wide as dinner plates. "I-I'm s-sorry!" he squeaked timidly. "It w-was an accident, honest!"

Father Perry gave the boy a kind look, ruffling his hair. "It's okay Fonzo, I can bless more later." The priest would walk away, waving goodbye. "Well, I have a sermon to prepare. Talk to you later!"

The pang of relief in the boy's chest was muffled, his fear of the armored woman overpowering all other emotions. He stood up quickly, eyes never leaving the soldier. In a haze he attempted to hand the woman a leaflet, only to remember he'd run out. "Umm..."

"Woah... you're so cool..." Adharah had walked up to the soldier, stars in her eyes. "Are you a Mordecai?" she asked excitedly, bouncing on her heels. "Do you fight mages? I bet you have stories, can you tell them?"

Corvus

Hm. An urchin, perhaps?

The woman still tried to puzzle the boy; her stern look did not waver, even at his bumbling apology.

"Good day, Father Perry." A grunt. The priest was the least of her worries right now: she'd come for the sermon and guard duties, but there was a new curiosity in front of her now.

A small voice piped at her left. Her stare broke from Fonzo and alighted on a little girl instead:  her eyes were round and eager, face split into a beaming smile.

"Close. I am an Adhara, girl," she craned her head down. Ah, she forgot how.... exuberant youth could be. She attempted a motherly smile -- instead her lips twitched, ironing to a taut line. "I do fight mages. And investigate them. All to keep you two and Reajh safe, of course."

The smile did not reach her eyes. They slid back over to Fonzo.

"What is your name, girl? Is this your friend?"

I wonder, she thought. If he is cursed with  magic... does he have parents? Mages breed other mages like roaches...

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Fonzo let out a small sigh of relief as Adharah arrived, a bead of sweat rolling down his forehead. The soldier-in-training could be obnoxious, but she made for an amazing distraction.

"But I'm an Adhara too!" the young girl said, clenching her fists excitedly. "And my name is Adharah too, like the first one! The stupid church ladies won't let me fight in the war, though..." Adharah's eyes suddenly lit up. "Hey, can you train me? I bet you know all sorts of hero moves!"

As Adhara talked, Fonzo would attempt to slip away, walking in the direction of the table with the leaflets stacked on top. Maybe, just maybe, the soldier would let him go...

Corvus

"It will be some years till you're ready to fight any wars, girl." An understatement. She knelt, face growing wan. She does not know what she speaks of. Youth...

The people of Connloath were thankless. Just thinking on the riots in Farien made her blood boil; she'd enjoyed cutting down every single defiant savage...

"The Sisters of Ansgar are right." One pale brow arched. "To be an Adhara is a blessing of the Lord, but it is no small burden, child. Enjoy this time -- do not live so far into the future." She stared at the girl. What now? Do I pat her head? What does one do with children?

Instead, she reverted to her tight smile, turning her belt so the girl could see the hilt of her sword. The rubies glinted in the torchlight, the lurid red of the blood the blade spilled so often. With a scrape of steel, she pulled it from its hilt just enough so the girl could see a sliver of sword.

"Perhaps we may cross paths when you are older. Have you trained at all yet?" All the while she spoke, her eyes kept drifting to Fonzo. The boy hid his fear very poorly, fidgeting like a little rat --and was that guilt on his features?

"Ho, boy, come here -- hand me one of those leaflets." Thought you could escape, could you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Fonzo froze, swallowing nervously. A bead of sweat ran down his neck as he turned his head, giving the soldier a painfully fake grin. "Y-yes ma'am, right away!"

"Awww, what? That sword is so cool!" Adharah said cheerily, seemingly oblivious to her friend's distress. "I have a sword too! I named it The Blade Of Justice, and someday I'm gonna stab evildoers with it!"

Shaking with fear, Fonzo hastily grabbed a pile of leaflets. He approached the soldier nervously, trying his best to look confident. "H-here you go!" he squeaked, thrusting a pamphlet at her. "T-the bulletin for this weeks service! T-the lyrics to the hymns are o-on the back pages!"

"Please Ansgar, make her go away! I promise I won't sin anymore, honest!"

Corvus

A wry smile hooked her face.

"This one's name is Sanctus Metit," the woman intoned, gesturing at her sword. Still squatting, she twisted it so the girl could see the hilt: two charging gryphs, their wings aloft, a cry of triumph on their wrought steel mouths.

"Do you know what it means?" One brow rose. "Holy Harvester. This was my Father's blade, and his father before him, and so on..." The boy—looking like a trembling leaf—finally shambled back over and thrust a pamphlet at her. She took it without looking at its contents, weighing him; a fresh sheen of sweat shone on the boy's dirty brow, and his small hands trembled faintly.

"Boy," she smiled, but it did not reach her eyes. "And what of you? Do you, too, plan on being a soldier of Ansgar? Or do you serve the temple alone?"

Eckhart_Von_Musel

"Whoah..." Adharah whispered, ogling the hilt of the blade. "It's so pretty..." The girl pulled away, running towards a side door. "I'll be right back!" She called as she disppeared. "I wanna show you mine!"

Fonzo gulped as the girl left, shaking with fear. "I-I-I w-wanna be a p-p-priest!" he squeaked, looking up at the soldier in horror. "I w-wanna tell people about..." The boy began to sway back and forth slightly, attempting to put on a brave face. "Tell people about A-Ansgar..."

"Please! Just go away!"

Corvus

"I should love to see," the soldier lied, keeping up her smile till the girl disappeared. That done, she dropped it, turning to Fonzo.

She scrutinized him.

"A worthy profession indeed," Katarine said in a quiet voice. "Ansgar is a loving god, willing even to forgive mages." She watched the boy for a reaction, fingers tapping her blade. Cute enough now, but when they grow up... "It is good of you to spread His word. But beware, boy. Many people close their hearts and ears to him."

Like the filth in the northern camps...

"Your parents must be very proud of you." Her lips thinned in an attempt at a smile. "I can think of no higher calling." Except the extermination of every filthy soul...

Eckhart_Von_Musel

Fonzo trembled as the Adhara spoke, a bead of sweat running down his forehead. He attempted to smile, but could only manage a lopsided grimace. "Y-yeah!" he managed to say. "Ma and Pa are proud! They don't come to church with me though..."

He froze. "Oh Ansgar, no! Why did I say that?" The boy's teeth clenched, eyes widening. "Ah, um, uh..." he said, trying to find a way to change the subject. "You- you uh, you should find a seat soon!" he stammered. "You can't hear the choir well f-from the back..."

"Please! Just go away, I'll do anything!"