Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Wolves and Men [OPEN]

Started by Dreamwolf, April 01, 2013, 01:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nascent

Ilaelis, still fighting through Kassom, struggled to hold on as the beast whipped and lashed about. When he saw it strike a terrible blow against the wolf with its tail then snatch it up in it's fangs he though for sure the talking creature was dead... and then, with gaping puncture wounds in his side Fang struggled to his feet and struck back. That should have been impossible!

The Basilisk was wounded by the wolf's bite -- and just as surprised as everyone else, apparently -- but it would take more than that to bring it down. It reeled back in pain such that Ilaelis was almost hanging suspended upside-down while it hissed and screeched; as it lunged forward to take another shot at Fang the thief dislodged his blades, morphing the metal once more... now into a long, imposing spear.

"Just DIE!"

Despite his insistence, the creature was in no mood to cooperate, whipping its head about at just the right moment to send him flying off. The spear landed in the dirt and Kassom found himself in the branches of a nearby tree, covered in pine needles and more than a bit bruised but otherwise alive and well.

He snarled in displeasure... then his eyes went wide as the sound of splintering wood filled his ears. The Basilisk's tail was whipping around, snapping tree branches like twigs as it raced towards him. The Feral cursed at the top of his lungs and began scrambling away, leaping from branch to branch as the monster flailed against the trees repeatedly in an attempt to break him.

The fight was not going well.

Sumae

Sumae stared in horror at the fight, clutching the children around her and holding the defense shield firmly, energizing it with her strong emotions.  They needed help to bring this basilisk down but she had to maintain the defense shield. 

The creature turned towards her and the children and Sumae knew the others wouldn't have time to distract it.  She brought one arm up to protect the children from the creatures gaze and then used her other hand to draw a dagger from her pants pocket.  It was encrusted with gems and she shouted an incantation at the basilisk aiming directly for it's eyes, for that was the creatures weak spot. 

An electrical bolt shot out straight for the basilisks gaze, though Sumae dare not look to make sure, keeping her own face shielded lest she be turned to stone.

Dreamwolf

Fang snarled when the serpent turned toward the children, fastening his teeth into the monster's neck once again. Throwing his considerable bulk around with the venom coursing through his veins was no easy feat but he managed it, he could already feel the poison losing its potency. He shook his body while latched onto the beast, tearing an ever bigger hole in its neck.

Nascent

G R A N D   F I N A L E
Rocket Dragon
by Machinae Supremacy

Sumae's bright bolt of electricity seared and crackled the air as it flew, the Basilisk only spared the destruction of its eyes by a chance flail of pain from Fang's persistent gouging bite. Instead the lightning spell struck just barely lower, smashing with the sound of thunder into the creature's jowls. This time the mighty serpent's screeching howl of anguish was mixed and muted by the gurgling sound of it chocking on its own blood and venom. The other wounds it might have recovered from in time -- now, with Sumae's magic tipping the balance the monster was dead in all but fact, guaranteed to starve if it didn't bleed out.

And with it's attention very effectively diverted, Kassom was on the offensive again. With a tug of demonic energies the spear was pulled through the air towards its master as a torrent of liquid-metal drops, almost like some bizarre otherworldly rain, rejoining his metal over-skin as the Feral dashed along the length of a tree branch and launched himself into the air.

It was time to end this.

Landing once more on the Basilisk's backside, Kassom held onto its spikes while Ilaelis executed his finishing stroke. From his palm metal droplets flowed, racing forward along the beast's hide towards its head, gathering around the sides of its face. His plan was betting on one critical fact: with its jaw destroyed the Basilisk wouldn't be able to use its spit-venom or its fangs... meaning it would have to rely on its other weapon.

And sure enough, as the liquid metal formed into a shell over the nightmare snake's eyes, Kassom could see just the faintest hint of silver radiance -- and immediately looked away.

For a few moments it seemed as though nothing was happening; Kassom had to keep holding on desperately, getting whipped back and forth as the now-blinded serpent flailed and panicked. He grit his teeth -- there was no guarantee it would work, but there was also no guarantee this impromptu "team" would outlast the monstrous beast, so he had to try something. The Basilisk hissed and sputtered, blood pouring from its wounds in crimson rivers as it struggled to survive.

And then... suddenly everything became very quiet and still, as though their wild enemy had been frozen in place. Kassom grinned and let himself slide off, feeling a similar sense of satisfaction from Ilaelis echo through his mind. As he landed, the first cracks began to form; blood ceased to flow and flesh gradually turned pale and hard. Even the mighty serpent's breathing seemed to halt.

"May wanna let go there wolfie, unless you have a taste for granite." The thief joked, stretching and popping his back as the metal skin withdrew and reformed as the daggers he carried. "Whew, now that was a workout!"

His gaze traveled between his two comrades-of-chance, taking in everything they'd just done. A seemingly immortal wolf and a potent spellcaster...

... couldn't hurt to make a few friends, perhaps.

"It's safe now -- this thing's dead." He rapt one loose fist against the Basilisk's now stone-hard hide. "Was a bit of a gamble, but it looks like Basilisks aren't immune to their own petrifying gaze. Guess that explains why they're solitary hunters. Anyways..."

He outstretched one hand towards the creature statue's head and, for just a moment, there was a gleam of blue light in his gaze. From above there was a wet popping sound and two large metal orbs, each easily twice the size of his fist, fell down and hit the ground. Retrieving the cloak he'd discarded earlier in the fight he tore a length of it off to fashion an impromptu sling and secured the twin prizes in it, looping it crosswise over his chest and back. Intact Basilisk eyes would fetch a nice price from an alchemist, after all.

"Not quite sure how we all survived that -- doubly so for you, Fang -- but we did. All in favor of getting the heck out of these woods? Dinner and an inn is on me when we reach town."

Sumae

Sumae watched the end of the battle, hiding the children in her arms keeping them safe until the creature suddenly turned to stone trapped by it's own deadly gaze. 

She straightened up letting the defensive shield drop with a very tired sigh.  She wasn't omnipotent.  This amount of magic working was very tiring.  But as she looked down at the terrified orphaned children she knew she would do it again.

"A bed and food is exactly what I need right now, as well as the children.  We should be on our way."  She said with neutrality.

Dreamwolf

Fang staggered as he released the dieing snake-beast. His head felt like the soft down of a rabbit had been shoved through his ears, packing the space inside tight with fluff. He watched until the basilisk finally stopped moving. The wolf continued to stagger as he made his way to the group, his body still numb from the venom.

"It will take more than a big snake to kill me." The wolf shook his head, trying to make the fluffy feeling go away. He nodded a silent agreement at the mention of food and a safe place to sleep. "That sounds like plan, just give me a moment, I may be impossible to kill, but I'm not a god."

Nascent

Impossible to kill... Kassom quietly filed that away in the back of his mind and drew his cloak up over his now even more torn up rags and body suit. His eyes surveyed the road ahead, trying to calculate the distance in his head. Still, it didn't take a genius to figure it out -- even if Fang would be back up to speed and good as new shortly, the group was at something of a disadvantage. The fight had taken a lot out of all of them, himself included. Toss in the little ones and this whole group didn't stand a great chance of making it to town before the sun set without seriously hauling along at a pace which, quite honestly, he doubted anyone was up for.

And given what they'd just (barely) fought and killed, he didn't much fancy the idea of being out here after dark.

"... Amending what I just said," He announced with slight discomfort. "Having given it some thought, our chances of reaching our destination -- and that food and those beds -- while the sun's still up aren't great. The bandits weren't entirely stupid; they set up their ambushed far enough out that the town wasn't likely to send out patrols, yet close enough that travelers would juuuuust start to feel like they weren't likely to run across trouble."

"Simply put: unless you all feel like running, I doubt we'll reach the next town before dark. Not unless we get insanely lucky and happen upon a passing... hm?"

His ears perked up at a distant sound, his voice trailing off. One eyebrow quirked upwards and he turned to look down the other direction of the road. Gesturing with one hand for everyone to be quiet, he got down on all fours and carefully laid an ear to the ground.

Then split a grin.

"Well, toss me sideways and call me a golem." He stood back up, giving a confident grin to the others. "Large wagon coming down the road; should be in sight any minute. Fang, either act domesticated or hide out in the trees for a bit. Sorcerer-lady," He pointed to Sumae. "For the moment, you're a traveling nun and those kids are from an orphanage and under your care. I'm a guard hired to protect you on the road,"

He looked at the looming stone Basilisk. "Scratch that last bit. I'm a hunter. This Basilisk attacked your wagon. Everyone panicked and ran." As he spoke liquid metal slithered snake-like out of his robes, taking the shape of a long bow and quiver of arrows slung across his back. "We ran across each other and had to fight it. Those dead bandits and slaves over there? Hired guards and pathfinders who fought bravely but didn't make it. If we're lucky they won't look too closely and just take the story at face value."

Now the sound of a wagon in the distance could be heard clearly, coming in their direction. Kassom tore another piece off his cloak and wrapped it around his mouth an nose, concealing what of his Feral features the hood didn't. "We'll play this for pity and just get a ride into town, clean and simple. If you don't feel like lying then just pretend you've taken a vow of silence or something -- I'll do the talking."

He cast a glance at the children, likely still terrified from their ongoing ordeal. "You kids are good at make-believe, right? I'm counting on ya."

Sumae

Sumae sighed but nodded.  Herself she wouldn't worry for, but with the children a ride into town might be better.  She smiled down at the children, "It's going to be all right" she told them hugging them close to her.  The youngest one especially seemed to clutch at her like a life preserve.  Her heart broke for them and her spine stiffened as well.  As tired as she was, she'd see them safe.

"If they ask you questions try to keep your answers short and simple, and if you don't want to answer you don't have to.  We can tell them that your all too frightened to endure questioning."  She assured them.

Dreamwolf

Fang nodded, sliding up close to the children. He lowered his tail into a submissive position, like a proper dog, and sat down, the silver and black collar on his neck catching the light of the setting sun. he waited for the wagon to pull up and raised his hackles like a dog who was protecting his charges. He was already bigger than most wolfhounds, but he somehow managed to look like a normal dog.

Nascent

S C E N E    M U S I C

The sound of the wagon coming down the road simply kept getting louder and louder. Any moment it would come around the bend and into sight... their ticket into town. Any moment...

When it finally did, it was utterly and completely unlike anything Kassom had been expecting.

For one thing, the wagon had no horses pulling it -- had nothing pulling it, in fact. It's design was unlike anything the Feral thief had ever seen: like a sailing ship a wide heavy-cloth mast and sail jutted up out of the back of the uncanny vehicle, behind which was mounted some kind of tuba-like brass pipe opening that curved back around underneath the wheels and connected to some kind of strange metal box covered in arcane glyphs, runes, and spell circles, all of which glowed with a bright neon blue radiance. Whatever the magic mechanism behind it, the results were plain to see: the open tube was forcefully pushing wind into the sail, driving the whole odd contraption forward. It was impossible to see who was at the reigns, being that instead of reigns and a driving perch it had a metal sheet with a large circular glass viewport set into the left-hand side. The whole thing looked like a deathtrap... and it was barreling straight down the road at them.

"What the ****?!" Kassom exclaimed as it approached. As the "wind wagon" gradually slowed and came to a stop right in front of them all the Feral thief could do was stand there, gawking at the awkward, absurd... thing.

And then... the whole situation got even weirder.

"Kassom? Kassom Sercha -- of all the places on Le'raana to finally catch up with you m'boy!"

A door on the window-side of the wagon swung open and the single most eccentric looking old man Kassom had ever seen stepped out. Even with the strange green goggles pulled down over his eyes there was no mistaking another Feral when he saw one... but Kassom had never once seen a Feral dressed like this guy. Heavy boots, a weird multi-stained coat... something was off, WAY off. And he knew Kassom's name -- recognized him straight through the disguise. What the...

"Who the heck --" He barely got to speak at all before the old man was overwhelming them all with a torrent of chatter.

"Not so small as when I last saw you, no, definitely not! You've grown, but that's to be expected of a young man after all. Seems you've changed in other ways too -- yes, quite remarkable, very very interesting indeed." He turned his head towards the others. "And keeping exciting company too, I see. My my, but isn't that a curious aura for a wolf to have. Never seen the like of it before, certainly not. Fascinating! And a fellow practitioner -- what a pleasure! Do you do any enchanting, I wonder? Or is it the more common forms that you focus on." His begoggled gaze swung to the petrified beast. "A Basilisk as well! Female, judging from the smaller spines and the enlarged hood. Likely a nest in the vicinity, though not especially close. Must have just laid her brood, out to hunt for her first meal after the six week delivery period. Yes, seems likely, yes, yes. And I see you've removed the eyes. I wonder if I might--"

"STOP!" Kassom shouted at the top of his lungs, running to get directly in front of the odd old man. He threateningly grabbed the other Feral's collar and glared at him. "Just. Stop. Talking. You crazy old man!"

"Crazy? Hah, not hardly. I just--"

"I don't care. Who are you? How do you know me? And what the heck is your deal, grandpa?!"

"Grandpa? Heavens, no m'boy. I may be old but I'm not that old." The older Feral chuckled and grinned. "I'm no one's grandpa, at least that I know of. Uncle, however, is a different story."

"What??"

"Vates Panoply Ersatz, m'boy. Artificer of the Jade Spire -- and, I might add, your uncle."

There was a long, long period of silence during which neither of them spoke. Kassom glared at Vates and Vates, goggles still over his eyes, held his gaze. Slowly, the older man reached up and lifted the arcane visor, letting it perch on his forehead. His expression was amused but otherwise nondescript.

At length, Kassom let him go with a shove. "Bull****."

"It's quite true m'boy, believe it or not. You and I are kin. Yes indeed."

"... Much as I'd love to argue how impossible and unlikely that is, I'm afraid I'm a bit short on energy and patience right now." He pulled off his face wrap and hood, then hooked a thumb over his shoulder to point at Sumae, Fang, and the kids. "I'll keep this simple. Assuming that absurd... thing... isn't liable to dismember us or anything, we need a ride to the nearest town, Vates -- or whatever the heck your name is."

"Not the best way to ask for a favor, lad." Vates nonetheless kept smiling calmly and gestured to the machine. "There's room for one and all, yes. Welcome aboard my latest and greatest creation, the Zephyr!"