Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Measures of Mercy [Brisinger]

Started by Roxy, June 19, 2013, 05:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxy

It ended with him squirming, bucking around as she kept him lifted and cocked in a chokehold.  Fear clung to him in sweat, even a little in tears, "P-please!  Let me go!"

It started with this man, a wiry little thing, who so casually spoke to his buddies about "seeking a new head for his wall", and very pointedly sneered at her that her own might "make a good eyesore".  It wasn't something that Lash was unused to, considering every time she stepped into a city she'd be welcomed with at least stares and the occasional shout.  Most were too intimidated or stunned to confront her directly, but they observed her quietly and cautiously from afar before crying for a soldier if she gave away even the slightest hint of aggression.

Others, though, like this bright fellow wanted to play 'hero' themselves.  In spite of the fact that he seemed to be little more than a hunter and lacked the training or discipline to tackle a woodland creature who could bite back.  To his credit, though, he did manage to track her from Ketra to this more isolated village.

Why he charged her in broad daylight was lost on her.  Not only were his skills under par, he was a smaller, skinnier human, who didn't bother to take on much armor (if any padding) or any other weaponry asides from a dagger.

Someone else in her position would've rewarded him with complete asphyxiation or a twist in the neck, public spectacle or not.  He did, after all, threaten to kill her and even tried to make good on his word.

But he, shaking like a leaf, didn't encourage wrath in her.  The spurt of adrenaline came and went with a breath and she slumped, her hold relaxing.  She dropped him completely, watching him fall to his hands and knees.

When he gave a glance back, wide-eyed and very clearly disbelieving, she gathered force deep within her gut and bellowed, "GO!"  Quite obediently, without a parting shot or thanks, he scrambled to his feet, darting off no doubt to where he came. 

She waited a couple minutes, before turning her head, noticing a group of villagers similarly gawking at her. 

Past experience informed her that...it'd be best if she made a move on.

Turning on her heel, she began to make for the forest, hoping that the little man didn't inspire a trend in the people she was leaving behind.

Brisinger987

Torak had spent the afternoon doing three separate jobs for clients, all conflicting. And trying not get seen. He had figured out an order of operation, pertaining of client 1, 2 and 3.

The first job was to steal a document for client 3, and client 1 had desired the document be destroyed. So when client 3 walked away after paying him a bit of money, Torak had pickpocketed the document off of him, then when he was free, burnt it. Client 3 had then asked Torak to terrorise client 2, by killing his bodyguard. Client 2 had hired Torak as his bodyguard while he recruited new ones. That was the easiest job. Then client 1 asked him to assassinate client 2, who had asked him to assassinate client 1. It was a challenge to fake one employer's death just to get the money. Then when he had claimed the reward for client 1's death, he killed client 2, and claimed the reward for client 2's death. Then he killed client 2. Out of the three, client 3 didn't need to die. She had proved she was strong, with a good night in bed.

Then, for the rest of the day, he wandered, and eventually happened across a crowd of people outside an alley way. When no-one was looking, he teleported onto the roof nearby. Gods this woman was strong. And she was an orc. If he ever decided to settle down and have kids, he could tell them he has seen a real live orc.

Seeing her begin to walk off, he teleported into the alley, in clear sight of the crowd. He walked behind the orc woman and called to her.

"Hello! Nice job there! Don't worry, I mean no harm! I have no interest in fighting someone as strong as you."  Torak said, trying to keep his cool. If she attacked him, he had to flee. He would not kill an orc, he had no idea how.

Roxy

She stiffened mid-stride, not expecting kudos of all things.  Or was it even that?  It was shouted; in front of the folks she probably made a less-than-favorable impression to, mildly referencing to the fact that she held a man suspended for a good few.

Lash didn't need to look to guess that the villagers were growing more anxious the longer she stayed, in turn perplexing and stressing her.  She didn't exactly feel safe enough to address this man in full in front of them.

Like a wild animal she turned halfway to face him, growling out, "Not the time, Sir," clearly referencing to the posse that began to encircle them.

Brisinger987

"If any of them have a problem with you, they can chat to me." He walked forward, drawing a bomb, throwing it just in front of him, and waiting for the timing.

They bomb would go off three seconds after it hit the ground. He took a step over the bomb on second number 2, and then, on second three, teleported, white flame, and black smoke mixing, making it appear as if he was dead. The bomb finished blowing up, and Torak had teleported a meter ahead, appearing to have survived the blast, and turned to the crowd, activating the voice enchantment.

"I don't think humans should be messing in my affairs, mortal scum. You think you can mess with a demon prince and survive? Then test me. If not, run along, and live your pathetically short mortal lives." His voice was consumed in the triple voice, and he put on his own growl, trying to make sure they got the message.

Roxy

5-to-8 men and women jumped back in sync, a collective gasp first rising, and then shouts as they turned tail.  Most of them retreated; presumably back to their homes, but one or two seemed to double back only to stop to watch them from a corner afar.

But they weren't alone in their fright.  Lash unsheathed her sword with a sharp shnnnk and she stood crouched, on the defensive.

She wasn't sure what to make of the act.  He had inferred he was going to protect her, but she didn't know he was a demon prince!  If she were to take his word for it, at least.  Lash had limited exposure to magic – she knew humans and elves were capable, but she'd never seen a trick quite that elaborate.  She was simultaneously torn and on edge.

"You.." What could she say?  He did make good on his word.  It was proper to at least give him thanks, even if he was or claimed to be high up the "fiend" hierarchy.  Expressing curt gratitude wouldn't be compromising her, right? 

She stayed tongue-tied for a good beat until it finally came out, although blurted and a little uncertain. "Thank you." She lowered the sword marginally and relaxed, just a smidgen, but she added as a threat:  "Don't go after them."

'Them' referring to the villagers who were still eyeing them a many ways off, oddly daring despite the warning given.  But perhaps she shouldn't call his attention – much less his wrath –towards them.  It'd be a great twist of irony if she had to defend people who may (or may not have been) seeking to harm or perjure her from a guy who seemed to want to help her.

Brisinger987

"Now that this situation has defused. Are you ok?" Torak put his swords away, and let his cloak fall over one shoulder. She seemed to be unharmed, but not harmless. And his demon prince ruse had worked a charm.

"I am Torak, deceptive master, assassin, and demon prince on my off days. I am no demon. Tis but smoke and mirrors. I am however, still bloody dangerous. So my advice is, while I am a friendly soul, do not test me, or believe me stupid. Are we clear on that? In no way do I believe you are unintelligent, your species are the pinnacle of tribal and guerrilla warfare. That takes skill." Torak stood, his eyes trained on her weapons. If she went to attack, he would fight back mercilessly.

Roxy

Lash didn't know of too many assassins who would out themselves so freely, but she supposed since they were alone he didn't see the harm.  Or he was just way too uncaring as far as visibility went.

Still, while this meeting was a little less bizarre than before, (considering that he was, apparently, a demon prince no longer) she remained mystified and agitated.  More so agitated knowing that she might be dealing with the equivalent of a paid serial killer – unless he was lying, again, but considering he was armed?  Not likely. 

Even though her sword was lowered, disgust was written all over her face.  She didn't hold assassins in high regard, and she had her reasons.   When she fought it was fair and not always instigated on her behalf.  Lash made it a point not to kill unless in war or if her back was against the wall, whereas her impression of him wasn't near forgivable.  People like him trivialized death without discrimination or even hesitation, man, woman, child, innocent or guilty.  It didn't matter!

There was also the matter of how he talked to her.  Asking if she was ok (to which she retorted with a clipped "Fine"), then briefly boasting of his "rep.", then threatening her, THEN complimenting her kind.  It only fueled her dual befuddlement and annoyance, regardless of what he intended by his words.

She decided to try to get to the bottom of the matter.  She already threatened him, now he her, it was time to drum up some answers.  First off:  "What do you want from me, murderer?"  She posited with a gruff tone, her eyes narrowed.  Lash wondered if he had an ulterior motive from sparing her a potential mob, or if it really was out of the 'goodness' of his heart.

Brisinger987

"Ooooh, murderer is such a harsh term for my job, I do not murder, I assassinate. Any fool can murder, simply kill a man who is innocent in cold blood. But he will no doubt get caught. An assassin can murder a man, unsuspecting, silently, with dread efficiency, for a price. I prefer to think I do the latter, although I have murdered a few people in my line of work." Torak shrugged in a conceding fashion.

"Do not label me a murderer though... I simply got curious, we don't see many orc's around here, and yet here you are. I wished to watch you, I am curious. But the crowd was becoming dangerous, and I thought I would spare you the waste of breath to fend off the mob of enraged citizens. What did that scrawny weakling do to earn your hand round his throat?" Torak leaned on the wall next to him, his armour clinking.

Roxy

Her upper lip curled as he first tried to defend himself by drawing a line of distinction, and then admitting with seeming indifference that he did, indeed, kill others even by his own definition.  Nausea roiled in her gut; Lash knew she didn't have to talk to this man.  She could walk right on by if she so pleased, he wouldn't stop her. 

Yet apart from wanting to know why Torak 'saved' her, she also wanted to know if he killed any of these villagers – she had no idea if he'd cop to it, though, especially since she was considering trying to find the family/ies of the/those deceased and ask if they'd be interested in her avenging them.  He couldn't know of her intent, though, and even if he did know or come to know he already expressed a desire to defend himself if she came at him or after him for whatever reason.

On the other hand, while she could ask around, she wasn't sure if these villagers even wanted to talk to her.  If she tried to after this conversation, she may very well end up in potential hot water again.  There was a good chance she'd be stonewalled if not actually stoned for trying to do a good thing for these people. 

"You murder for money.  Have you no shame?"  Lash  didn't know why she was trying to admonish somebody who had no quips about admitting he killed people even outside his assigned tasks.  It just appalled her, considering her very strict line of morality. 

She then took in a deep breath, trying to calm down.  She decided to answer his question, though, as it wouldn't benefit him nor harm her to relay a story – albeit begrudgingly and haltingly.  "He threatened me in Ketra.  Followed me all the way here, viewed me as a trophy of some kind.  Charged me, I stopped him."  And Lash doubted that the said 'weakling' would try again.  The fear in his body and voice seemed to say that he underestimated the reality of him attacking a much stronger opponent, and hopefully that was more than enough to make him learn his lesson. 

"What're you doing here?  ...More of the same?" 

Brisinger987

"I was here on business yesterday, but today I am relaxing. I was wandering about and I saw you, and was curious. Is there something wrong with being curious? It's not every day that orc's have people by the throat round here. I wanted to see how the situation panned out. But as you can see, it was necessary to be resolved, as the crowd, clearly was becoming aggravated. I intervened because I did not want to be chasing an orc down, and would rather stand out from the crowd." Torak felt he was justifying himself, but this orc did not seem to understand the point of Torak's workline, or how the ethics of Torak's work proceeded.

Roxy

"You killed someone here?"  Lash asked both out of a need for confirmation, and, well...she was just stunned!  In such a remote village she couldn't imagine any one of these persons having a price on their head, nor could she fathom any of them having the money to...ugh.  She didn't want to embark on that train of thought again.  "Who?"  Odds were, Torak wouldn't say, but it didn't hurt to ask.

And once she did get that confirmation, she decided to risk it.  Hopefully she wouldn't incite the reaction that she feared; her investigation going nowhere.

She half-listened to his meandering diatribe, her silence to the rest of it signifying her interest in only one thing.