Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Opening Shop - Plotting for Chrollyx the Spider Witch

Started by Windel, March 19, 2016, 03:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chrollyx - The Spider Witch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Summary: A Giant Spider from the Kilanthro Mountains. He is ancient and clever, a patient hunter, and a Master in the art of Brewing (Potions). He is known to set up shop near black market trade hubs or other shady spots in the world, and those who've purchased his services and goods can voucher for his quality. His network is small but widespread, and much of his customer base have only heard of him through rumor and happened to ask the right person. By the time a new customer reaches him, they've probably had an appointment scheduled in advance through an associate for months or journeyed to find him. He's that guy whose goods your local Herbalist hides from the normal crowd inside a secret chest; who got them through a shady deal with a pub salesman who got it from a thief who stole it from an adventurer who bought it from that creepy Spider Witch up in the hills.

*~~*~~*~~*Plot Ideas*~~*~~*~~*

Any of the following would be fun. Just let me know!

Single Encounter(s)

1. A Witch has just finished setting up shop in a secluded location near your character's town. Rumor has it he's taking walk-in appointments for the next few days and has powerful potions for sale as well as enchanted items and rare ingredients. They say Renyr the Watchman knows how to find him and he'll probably be off duty tonight, drinking at the pub...
     In which your character comes in, they chat, your character walks out - possibly with something valuable in their possession.

Adventure(s)

1. Chrollyx is after an extremely rare item or ingredient that your character would be useful in acquiring, or already has. They team up, go to some location, battle, solve a puzzle, and fight over the item before the plot resolves itself in some way and both characters go home.
    In which Chrollyx comes to your character for help and have a multi-thread adventure during which they either become mortal enemies or reluctant friends.

Slice of Life/Character Study Plots
     1. Your character is either enslaved by, hired, or indebted to Chrollyx. Chrollyx considers anyone under him possible food, especially if they aren't worth his time, effort, or money. But your character is unusually good at what he asks of them, and with time he becomes fond of your character, and sets them free.
     In which your character worms their way into Chrollyx's oddly shaped heart. It's harder than it sounds and would probably take a few threads to sort out, mostly focusing on his everyday shopkeeping and the customers he serves, and your character's role in these happenings.

Romance(s)*

*I would be open to a romance plot of some kind, though I don't think it'll happen. There is the whole spider thing and there is the whole he-might-eat-his-lover part but it IS possible for him to totally go ga-ga for someone.

1. I imagine Chrollyx falling for someone who has no interest in him in return. He would court that person, offer discounts on his wares, and may even travel far and wide and into dangerous places for them. He is prone to lusting after someone unattainable, someone successful, smart, cunning, patient, influential (aka leadership qualities), physically or magically powerful, and very talented in a craft of some kind.
     In which Chrollyx actively pursues, to varying degrees of horror and humor, your character. Either a single thread with a montage of scenarios, or multiple threads with an overarching plotline. Or perhaps combine an adventure with romance-that-won't-actually-happen.

Medievarad

Slice of life is always a win for me. Perhaps from that, romance can flow forward.

I'm not sure on what characters I still have that you possibly could be interested. Perhaps Quicksilver can be enslaved by him. She hates monsters like him and possibly could've tried to assassinate him. Failing and forced underneath him for the time being.

This is interesting because Quicksilver his seen her own big sister killed by a lamia, thus, she views all monsters as enemies and will kill any in her way. Chrollyx, for some reason, shows her that not all of them are the mindless abominations she thinks they are.

Windel

@Heretic King - That sounds good to me, actually. Hmmm. I see she's an accomplished hunter, seeing she's killed a dragon and all (and wearing it no less) and who knows what else. Maybe it could start like a normal day for him, but she's been tracking him down since hearing of a giant spider running amok with magic items so she walks in to kill him. As you said, she fails, and he ties her up. Either she serves him until she earns her freedom like any other slave he's owned, or he eats her. Things go from there?

Medievarad

Wave

Currently looking for another thread with my character Wave.
I can't really see how any of the ideas you have could work out, except maybe the adventure part. I'll try to get an idea tomorrow unless maybe you can come up with one.

Windel

@Wave - Hi! Yeah, if we did an adventure... Maybe Wave could be hired to protect Chrollyx while travelling or while journeying to get some rare artifact, ingredient, or item. Is there anything in Wave's mind that would be valuable or something he'd be looking for that would have him invested as a mercenary besides cash? I wouldn't want to do a thread where your character doesn't benefit in some way development-wise. Or maybe that's what he struggles to find.

If you plan on making future threads with him, perhaps Wave would find or earn something from Chrollyx that he would carry on him in future threads, or causes him some kind of trouble that could be used for future plot threads.

@Heretic King - Okay, lol. Yes, I don't think eating is an option but we'll let him think it is. Alright, do you have a preference for where the thread would take place? Maybe Quicksilver operates in a particular area? Chrollyx has a lot of shop locations so it doesn't really matter where to me. Then I can open up a thread.

Wave

The adventure itself would probably already be enough for him. He acts impulsive, so as long as you give him some reason to stay, he will, be it as stupid as you want. He'll essentially do anything to not get bored.
Development wise, for me it would already be enough to get a feel for the character. I already have a backstory planned that would be enough to get more threads.

Medievarad

Quote from: Windel on March 19, 2016, 10:25:48 PM
@Wave - Hi! Yeah, if we did an adventure... Maybe Wave could be hired to protect Chrollyx while travelling or while journeying to get some rare artifact, ingredient, or item. Is there anything in Wave's mind that would be valuable or something he'd be looking for that would have him invested as a mercenary besides cash? I wouldn't want to do a thread where your character doesn't benefit in some way development-wise. Or maybe that's what he struggles to find.

If you plan on making future threads with him, perhaps Wave would find or earn something from Chrollyx that he would carry on him in future threads, or causes him some kind of trouble that could be used for future plot threads.

@Heretic King - Okay, lol. Yes, I don't think eating is an option but we'll let him think it is. Alright, do you have a preference for where the thread would take place? Maybe Quicksilver operates in a particular area? Chrollyx has a lot of shop locations so it doesn't really matter where to me. Then I can open up a thread.
Nah, she wanders around in search of any prey. She'd actively stalk Chrollyx for quite some time. And when she sees her opportunity, she strikes.

Windel

@Wave - I wanted to know the same thing before I start a thread. Is there anywhere on the map in particular Wave would operate in? Or just anywhere?

Wave

Quote from: Windel on March 21, 2016, 08:00:47 PM
@Wave - I wanted to know the same thing before I start a thread. Is there anywhere on the map in particular Wave would operate in? Or just anywhere?

Nope, make the thread where you see fit. He gets around a lot like.

Do you Wave do have some other reason to not immediately leave or will you manage do convince him to stay?

Windel

Chrollyx will offer what he offers anyone - money or a potion, or a cut of the profits of his venture. If thats not enough to get Wave to commit as a mercenary then you could find a way? Maybe Wave wants a favor of some kind?

Im thinking of making it an adventure into a dangerous area for an ingredient of great value or an artifact with magic power, but along the way they find something like a journal or note that alludes to a greater plot. They dont have to go do anything but i want it in writing to have happened in thus thread because i want to plant little seeds of Story to follow up on later.

Wave

A magic artifact could work. Maybe Chrollyx could already posses a piece of the artifact or a similar artifact to get Waves interest?

Windel

That works for me. Hmmm. Hes roamed the mountains amd their caves for a long time. He probably has a collection of trinkets spread across his shops. Is there anything in particular that would catch Waves interest? Or is he a gold coin kind of guy, so value would be more important?

Wave

Backstory I have currently planned out is that he was a student of a now lost type of magic. While he's completely clueless about it, some more complex/exotic spells or other magics still interest him.

Windel

Hmmm...OH. Maybe a scroll case sealed with a rune Wave either recognizes, or is very similar to something he recognizes. Chrollyx has never opened it because he understood it's value as a barter item. So maybe he first offers money, they negotiate a bit, and then this is among some items he's willing to trade to have a fighter at his back? That could get us goin'.