Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Will o' the Witch - [Read to Join]

Started by Windel, March 24, 2016, 01:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windel

The Will o' the Witch

Wave, I am not sure if you had any ideas you wanted to explore or include here, but I have some basic plot points in mind I thought would make a good story for Chrollyx, and I kept in mind a few things about your character too. You are welcome to weave your own plot elements into it, or we can work a different plot out if you don't like it.  PM me or let's chat in the Chrollyx Plotting Thread! :D

Here's a basic outline of where we're going and basic plot elements. I have NPCs in mind for the main antagonists but otherwise, I figure NPCs would be entirely free game to puppet as needed.

Meeting in the Southern Terrin Mountains
The Spider Witch hires a bodyguard and explains
what he has in mind.

Navigating the Serha Plains
After a couple weeks of traveling, Chrollyx is not in the
best mood and then there's some trouble with bandits.
(NPCs controlled by all players.)

Encounter in the Moraki
First a sandstorm, then an oasis with no water,
then some cultists, and then a desert monster.
Chrollyx is way too old for this...

Will o' the Wisp (Kishahn Jungle)
Upon entering the Kishahn our adventurers start seeing odd lights
that lead them astray. Even Chrollyx gets lost, and he knows where he's going.
Also there's a curse they might have activated that requires the group
to find each other before a certain time or they die. So that's a thing.

The Old Friend (Kishahn Jungle)
They finally make it to the Willow House. Chrollyx's friend isn't happy
to see him. Boss Fight!

Players: @Windel (Chrollyx), @Wave (Wave)

If you would like to join in on the adventure, please PM or pop into the plotting thread linked above so Wave can see too!  ;)

Windel

The Meeting (Southern Terrin Mountains)

The Spider Witch, it was rumored, just appeared and disappeared at will. One month, two months, sometimes a year would pass without a word of his presence nor a sighting of a strange shadow haunting the nearby woods. And then suddenly he was back. To the average civilian  who heard these rumors it was probably quite confusing keeping track. Most of the townsfolk  near the Witch's busiest shops, and whom were aware that he did exist, just assumed he was always there. Unless he wasn't. Like anyone else. And that's just how it was.

No one really knew, without extensive investigation, where rumors of his comings and goings came from. But it was assumed they were passed along from those who sought his services.

Like many rumors, these were passed around in tavern corners and between nosy neighbors but sort of slipped away into the subconscious as something more interesting came along. These rumors didn't spread very far from the existing circles who knew of them. When they did spread, it was likely to a casually inquiring someone seeking to satisfy their curiosity upon encountering a merchant with far too many shiny rare potions on his shelves in a town like this. If the secret could be weaseled out of that merchant, a vague tale with a when, where, and who that might be told, but these were often disbelieved by the more frugal and cynical of shoppers.

Even rarer was the Contact who started the rumors who actually knew the infamous Witch. And rarer still was the offer from one of these Contacts to deliver a letter requesting an appointment to the Witch on behalf of a willing customer.

As rare as it was to find the people who made up the Spider Witch's network, they could be found by the discerning individual who thought to ask the right questions. The hard part was finding the Witch himself, because though he sent letters in response to his customers and gave a date and a time and a place, his customers were often secretive in their dealings with him. And so, most willing customers who sought him out could never find the right person to talk to, and most outsiders who tracked him just to expose him eventually found themselves bound in the depths of some dungeon and sent into a permanent sleep with a well-placed bite.

It was far, far easier to find him when it was he who sought services outside his web of control.

~**~~~*~~~**~

Four weeks ago Chrollyx heard of a being whom he thought would be up to a task he'd been planning for months. Three weeks of distant observation later he'd sent the hybrid a letter requesting his services as a bodyguard into dangerous territory.  A week passed and he mostly packed up for the trip. He now awaited the arrival of one 'Wave' before he struck out into the wilderness.

It was dawn, silvery gray washing out the rocky landscape. Very little stirred in the surrounding sparse woods as birds were not common in this area of the Southern Terrin Mountains, and the cool air was still heavy with mountain mist. Several mountaintops east of his current position Zantaric could be found (his main source of business here) and somewhere far below was the now empty cavern that had functioned as his Adelan Shop.

Or boutique. He liked that word, boutique.

He stood before a wood horse cart just outside one of many rocky tunnels that into the lair he'd called home for the last six months. He hovered over an open chest set into the cart among other closed and locked boxes and crates. He was busily taking inventory of the items inside it one more time. There was a discrepancy in his stores of slimtwigs, bugglebumps, merrywort, and goofa beans that just didn't make sense.

A few chests lay about behind him, still unsealed, and a tall open barrel filled to the brim with dusty but organized scrolls sat at a precarious angle among some gravel. He had no idea how he was going to seal that one – the papers seemed determined to escape – but he'd figure something out, even if it meant wrinkling a few of them...

Wave

Wave had been in the surrounding area for a while now. Not taking gold as payment meant that he wasn't hired for every piece of work someone with some coin didn't want to do. The jobs he had done so far weren't particularity interesting, but enough to at least keep him occupied.
Apparently he had already managed to make a name for himself in the area, and he couldn't stand the thought of that.

The letter was a surprise for him. He couldn't recall ever receiving a letter requesting his service, but this one definitely caught his interest and it even looked like he could use this job to get away from here.

Wave searched for the place specified in the letter. It didn't prove hard to find up in the air.
He still didn't have any idea what he was getting himself into and enjoyed the mystery while it lasted.
For all he knew, this could also easily be a trap of some kind, especially after getting his name known in the are. He was usually careful, landing uphill from the cart and watching carefully.

Windel

Chrollyx heard, then felt, his hired muscle arrive, but took his time to finish what he was doing. If he had to count these pouches of beans one more time...

Chrollyx was currently in his tall humanoid form, and clothed in a lengthy monk's robe the color of flint to cover his unusual form. It looked almost black in the dim morning light, but a  silver rope was tied around his waste. His extra pair of spidery legs were folded behind him and over his shoulders, so he looked a little broader in the chest than was normal. His feet were completely concealed and only one pair of hands flashed blue from within his billowing sleeves. His face was bare, his hood thrown back. There was no hiding he was nonhuman in race, but he didn't have to wave the spider bit around. If people who met him knew he was the Spider Witch, most assumed he was creepy enough in appearance in this form to justify the title.

"Hello," he called up through the morning gentle breezes that flurried around them. "I'm so glad you've come. I've been waiting." A pause. "I imagine you have questions....?"

Wave

The half dragon observed him, unable to figure out what he actually was.

Wave didn't have a lot of questions, just looking to get the job done as quickly as he could.
"Where do you need to go and how fast do you travel?"

Windel

"Well, you see, that's just the thing," Chrollyx replied, settling an elbow on the cart. "I need to get to the Kishahn Jungle, post haste. But it means travelling under open sky."

He shook his head.

"Not my preferred manner of travel. I need someone with a bit of experience, a little talent, and -" He pointed Wave's wings. "Those. Those will be very important, hehe."

A brown pouch sailed through the air towards Wave.

"That is half your payment. Twenty gold to the day." He waved a couple fingers in the air near his head, as if gesturing to the math in his head. "I estimate it will take me two weeks to cross the plains, at most. Another two in the desert. You will be compensated for extra travel time at the end of our journey."

Wave

Wave was unsure what the comment about his wings was supposed to mean, but he would not carry anyone, no matter the payment.

Up until then he just assumed the witch already knew enough about him, but it looked like he was wrong.
Wave caught the pouch and threw it back: "I don't take gold as payment."
He would have just left at this point, but this job had already caught his interest.

Windel

The coin purse hit the cart and fell to the ground. Chrollyx just blinked.

Well. This didn't happen often. They usually take the gold and then ask for something else.

"Really," He said. There was a clicking sound from his throat as he considered. "Alright then..."

He spread his arms and gestured to his assembled wares.

"As you can see, I have much to trade and, if you've heard of me, my skills are difficult to substitute. Everyone wants something. I am usually able to fulfill that desire."

Wave

Wave already thought that there would be nothing that would interest him, but he went to have a look anyway. He couldn't even say what he wanted and just looked for something that caught his eye.
And a symbol on one of the scrolls in the unsealed chest did, but he had no idea why. He hated that feeling, as rare as it was.
He just stood there, trying to figure out why the symbol looked familiar. While the scroll alone didn't look like a fair payment, the chance to get away from here and having something to do while doing so looked good.

Windel

(OOC: Til we sort out the whole narrated thread thing I'll just post like normal. Not a huge change anyway, though, I guess, since we have mostly dialogue happening right now!)

Chrollyx followed the half-drake's line of sight to the modestly adorned scroll case sticking out from the bin. He drummed pointed fingers on the cart as he thought for a moment.

"Where did I find that?" he muttered. Then spoke louder as it clicked. "Oh, I picked that up in an old war bunker further north. Looked like someone stored a variety of documents in a small library, or used it as a study. Most items were rotted away with age and mold, and the place was too moist for parchment anyway... But that there was protected, I presume, by that sigil."

He had puzzled over it after he took it, but found little over the years to explain it. The document inside could be anything from a godly secret to a biscuit recipe but he'd never tried to open it. He knew better than to touch things left lying about by wizards.

"I know it comes from some old magic system, but I'm far from an expert in their written notation."

Wave

"The glyph stands for intelligence", the dragon said, followed by an infuriated growl. He had no idea why he knew that.
He stopped staring at the scroll. "I'll figure it out later. What do you need to get done?"

Windel

Chrollyx's four eyes flashed between his tense visitor and the scroll case for a moment before shutting the open chest of beans and sealing it with an enchanted lock.

"If you prefer that thing as compensation for your services you can have it when we return," he said, now packing the last chests into the cart. He stooped to pick up the coins the dragon had tossed back to him and tucked it away somewhere too.

"What do I need to get done...," He repeated thoughtfully. "I have an old friend who needs my help, down in the Kishahn. I haven't seen her in years." He sliced a hand through the air.  "Years. Drifted apart, you see. Well, I remember I owe her a favor and it's time for her to collect."

He glanced off towards the south. The day grew brighter every minute, more gray than anything. The clouds had not yet lifted, so any view of the mountainous path south was still blocked.

"Once we hit the plains, we'll be under open sky. Open sky makes someone like me a bit vulnerable to attack," He shook his head and shugged in a way in a way that somehow conveyed that he regretted having to hire someone, while at the same time feeling he was perfectly capable of making his own way. He didn't enjoy having to rely on someone else.  "So our mission is simple: I walk my way across the continent and you watch my back. If you find yourself in a pinch, I'll return the favor. When we get to the jungle, I take care of my business with my friend and we return to this exact spot. Any questions?"

Wave

"Sounds reasonable."
A lot more reasonable than some other things he got himself into.

Regarding questions, then dragon only had one:
"How fast do you travel?"
The spider didn't answer that one before.

Windel

Chrollyx sent his new bodyguard a look of deadpan exasperation.

"Look at me, what do you think?" He waved at himself. He thought of his two twisted bipedal legs and the unfortunate state of the rest of them hidden under his robes. He suppressed a shudder. Honestly this form was genius for his work, but was unfortunately, absolutely hideous. And slow. He was nowhere near as quick as a flier on the ground in his natural form but it was significantly faster than this one. But where he was going he would be exposed, no caves in sight, so this form was the most logical for the journey. It also helped keep the nonspidery races from killing him on sight. "I will be walking. On two legs. Like most of the rest of the world."

He paused.

"I'm faster than a human at least. Can probably fit sixty miles in a full fifteen hours - Oh! I prefer to travel at night by the way. Although... our journey might change that soon enough." He threw a glare at the clouds.

Chrollyx picked up the barrel of scrolls and set it in the cart. Before he threw a wool sheet over the thing he plucked the 'intelligent' scroll case out of the pile and set it aside. Then he wrestled the barrel into the depths of the cart and packed some bags of mortroot around it. Hopefully that kept the thing from falling apart. It certainly wasn't waterproof.

He held up the scroll case for Wave to see it, then tucked it into some secret pocket of his robes. He also picked up a leather pack and slung it across a bumpy shoulder.

"Will you meet me at the bottom of the mountain? I've no need for your services up here. I'm thinking Perkolet Village. You know, south side of Jerry's Peak, where the mountains meet the plains."

He lifted one of the cart's shaft bars and pulled the whole cart forward a bit, wondering how he was going to move it. He couldn't pull it using his usual method with this dragon hovering about.

Wave

Wave snickered to himself as the spider complained.
With a beat of his wings he was up in the air. He'd keep an eye on the spider. Not because he thought Chrollyx couldn't defend himself if something happened, but because he had no idea where he was supposed to be going. He didn't bother to ask. Just staying up in the air and following him would be simple enough.

Windel

Chrollyx looked on as Wave took off. He wasn't sure of the dragon meant to watch after him on the way to the village or what, but just in case he lifted the cart's bars and wheelbarrowed it down a rocky path. Unwieldy though it was, this was much better than carrying all this stuff by hand.

Somewhere midway down the mountain path to Perkolet he disappeared, and upon sight of the village reappeared without the cart...

Navigating the Serha Plains

(OOC: Woohoo, moving into the first leg of the journey! Also, I'm reading a great book that has lots of * notes so, feeling inspired, I wrote my own.)

Perkolet Village was basically a large camping ground for local  tradesmen from the smaller towns in the region that exported and imported goods to and from Essyrn. The well traveled path between Essyrn and this village was plagued by plains-roaming bandits and tribesmen so this campground was equal parts mercenary and well armed merchant. There were relatively few families here, and no farmland in sight.

Nestled against a flat cliff at the bottom of Jerry's Peak* it looked like a small fortress. Four stone walls surrounded the town, a new one built for each time the town expanded, and a deep moat was dug into the bottom of the cliffs to drain rain away. Rain wasn't common, but when it hit, it hit hard from the west and stopped at the mountains. Flooding was devastating to the merchant-folk and their wares.

Chrollyx, however, avoided all of it. His journey south started here but would deviate from the well traveled paths of humankind. Stepping up to the edge of an outcropping on the now forested path he had a look over the scenery.

Hills. Green hills for days that eventually turned into one flat expanse. He couldn't help his hesitation. Instinctually, he hated being out in the open. Like it was necessary to breathe, it was necessary to hide. Wave's cooperation was more important than Chrollyx would want anyone to think. Out there, even eight eyes couldn't see an attack coming from above. His blindspots would not be covered by sticky webs. If it could fly, it was a threat.

...But she was out there. He had to get to her. He was running out of time. This couldn't wait.

*The mountain is not officially named Jerry's Peak. It's actually called Perk Peak after the lovely, demure doe-eyed Ferna Perkolet who, with her magic, cut the cliffs from the mountain in a show of strength just to show her husband that she could.
               No, Chrollyx calls it Jerry's Peak after the lovestruck fool from this very town who commissioned a love potion (or the closest thing to a love potion; those have always been tricky to perfect) to give to his crush. But Jerry drank the thing himself. Jerry then promptly fell in love with a vaguely turtle-shaped cloud and climbed to the top of the mountain, but fell and died on a bush. Chrollyx wouldn't have ever found out about this outcome of his potion except that he'd accidentally witnessed the idiot drink it not two steps out his shop door. So the Witch followed the young man on his brief, tragic journey in mild fascination and took notes.
               These days Chrollyx found himself pondering the mystery as other people ponder the meaning of life and, unable to come up with a suitable explanation, has taken to just thinking, "Oh, Jerry..." with the fondness of someone who can't understand a silly but dear best friend. 
               It's not uncommon for people to endear themselves to Chrollyx postmortem.

Wave

Wave stayed far up in the air, enjoying the cold temperature while he still could. Warmer temperatures weren't anything worse, but soaring through the cold air just felt so much better.

He was surprised as he lost sight of the spider. He was sure he paid full attention, but this at least told him that he had to watch a little closer if he still wanted to get paid.
Finding Chrollyx again wasn't as easy as he hoped either, since he looked for the cart at first. But since he knew where the village was, or at least hoped that he meant that village, he had an idea where to look and eventually found Chrollyx.
Without a word, the dragon landed behind him.

Windel

Chrollyx felt and heard Wave land again. Behind him. Before it didn't bother him because he was in his element but, well, he was already feeling a little on edge. He stifled a shudder and turned around.

"Good, you're still here," he said. He'd gone out of his way to lose the dragon, but in the process had lost sight of him in turn.

Chrollyx looked towards the cliffs, then the town.

"I invited someone else, but I don't see her yet," he explained. "An archer. We'll need one of those, I'm sure."

(OOC: CherryFlare has decided to join us! Once we enter the Plains, we'll go Narrative. I'll explain include the following in the post: Basically, I've come up with a mental map of the plains, divided in squares. Wave, Chrollyx, and Cherry's character will decide to go North, South, East, or West and each square represents about one Day's travel. It will take 14 days to get to the Desert if we go straight south, but there might be obstacles or encounters that alter our course and delay the journey. Chrollyx will be a knowledgeable guide but isn't much of a fighter and certainly doesn't know everything, or he may withhold information to keep an upper hand around people he doesn't trust. Wave and Shihon may heed the Witch's advice, or ignore it. All kinds of things can happen, but they'll happen in increments of days. I might do a simple map for us so you can see, OOC, where our characters are, just in case we want to go backwards for some reason.)