Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where the Shadow People Go [M]

Started by kleineklementine, June 16, 2015, 04:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kleineklementine

"You've always been an asshole," she responded, mustering a teasing smile for him. "At least some things don't change."

But the smile didn't last. Olive's eyes fell to her hand in his, but didn't withdraw it. "I didn't know that no one had told you," she said, "hell, I didn't know you were here. I asked Grace half a dozen times about you. I wanted to go ask your father, but-" But she wasn't allowed to leave the manor. She wondered if he knew that yet. That she wasn't entirely free here.

She sighed, taking her hand back to pull her knees up in front of her and wrapping her arms around them. 'I wanted you to be comfortable with me again.' She wanted to say that of course she was comfortable with him, but that was obviously at this moment a lie. "You acted fine," she finally said, sounding tired, but not because of the hour. "It was just... So much has happened in the last five years."

And seeing Vale was making her really realize how much it had changed her.

Draconian

Ouch.

Valerian wrinkled his nose at her when she agreed with his asshole-ery. That wasn't an intended shove in for her to call him an asshole! Also, that wasn't true! "Yeah, but I haven't really been an asshole to you. You have special 'played with me in mud' privileges" His voice turned soft and he let her pull her hand away, simply watching her while she curled up into a ball and made herself appear so small.

His good leg was up and he propped his elbow up on it, looking down at the ground for a few moments. "Yeah... Five years is..."  Valerian took a deep breath and looked down, at his leg. Or his not log, to get technical. "It's a long time." He offered her a smile, it wasn't the boyish grin, but just.. A small smile. "I'm happy to see you though, far more happy than is probably appropriate." He chuckled and looked around the attic, "I really should have done some upkeep. This place is damn dusty."

kleineklementine

She wasn't certain if she was relieved or secretly disappointed that he hadn't asked again about what had happened to her while she was gone (because she would never admit, even to herself, that she wanted to tell him). But Olive could already feel herself relaxing regardless, or at least letting her guards down. Because however much more comfortable she was starting to feel, there was still a sort of wired tension built up in her, and her pulse hadn't seemed to calm to a normal level.

"Hm." She rested her head on her knees, turning it to look up at him. And she actually smiled, a small and genuine smile. Though it might have been a little sly. "Tell me. What amount of happiness is 'appropriate?'"

Draconian

Valerian's mouth opened up and the only sound that came out of him was a dull "uuuh..." Did he say that? He snapped his mouth shut, cleared his throat and quickly looked away. "You know how in books or plays, when the one fellow is super happy to see the one lady he picks her up and spins her around?" He nodded once, making a swirling motion with his fingers, and while he was capable of picking her up, his balance had never really been the same since losing his leg.

"I figure that's about as almost not-appropriate as it gets." He looked away, feeling a bit like he was twelve instead of a damn adult man. "I..." He cleared her throat and looked away, he couldn't tell her that. That wasn't... They weren't the same. Oh, the hell with it, what did he have to lose? It would either work out or be kinda awkward and Valerian's whole life was more or less one awkward episode after the other. "So, I guess appropriate is everything before kissing."

kleineklementine

Olive's smile broadened a little as she watched the flustered Valerian struggle with her words. In that moment, she did feel like the old Olive. And he certainly still looked like the old Valerian. Blushing and awkward and tongue-tied. She remembered his stunned expression after she'd kissed him the one time. She'd felt very pleased with herself, shocking him like that. She didn't think about the fact that she hadn't seen him again after that; she didn't need to be reminded of that. Right now, she felt closer to that moment than she had in years. Not as though the intervening years and all their pain hadn't happened, or that those years didn't matter; but just then it felt like didn't didn't matter... so much.

And she was going to allow herself that.

For the first time in a long time, at least for the moment, she didn't feel so serious.

So casual as she liked (and much more casual than she felt!), and trying to repress a mischievous smile, she remarked, "But you haven't kissed me. So I guess you're safe."

Draconian

Was that an invitation?

Valerian really had never gotten her back for that one kiss. It would be dangerous though. Not physically - who was gonna know? - but emotionally. Olive was... Olive. He knew this was a dangerous game to play and he shuffled a little closer, his face more serious. "But I really want to." His eyes flicked down to her lips and then he looked back at her eyes before he smiled and looked away, not about to spring that on her.

It would put her on the spot, maybe make her nervous and shuffle away.

"So yeah. You're lucky I have will of steel -" A complete lie "-or you'd just have... One big old gross wet smooch."

kleineklementine

Olive stayed put exactly where she was, even as Vale moved closer. No,she was going to make him close the distance between them, if anyone was. But she shifted how she was sitting, so that her legs were akimbo and not pulled in front of her.

"Hm," she said again, playing it cool despite how her heart was racing. The way he said 'really'...

"A will of steel," she said with a little smile, surprised that she could muster the same streak of boldness she had all those years ago, "or a cowardly set of nerves."

Gauntlet thrown down.

Draconian

Valerian's mouth dropped open but he quickly closed it into a devilish grin. Most of him was shocked but the small parts that weren't were pleased. Selfishly pleased, even. Far beyond selfishly pleased. There was an unfamiliar thump in his chest - nervous maybe? But she practically just asked him to without using the actual words, right?

It was a rush of movement, maybe a little sloppily because he had thought he was closer but still. Valerian leaned real close, inside her personal bubble. "Cowardly?" A smirk, an eyebrow rose. "Oh no. Maybe cowardly if Grace ever found out but you wouldn't tell her, would you?" Then, gently he took Olive's chin, turned her head and gave her a gentle kiss. The hold on her chin was simply to direct her head and there was little pressure on her lips.

Enough space for her to jerk away if the touch was unwanted. Or if Valerian had read the signals really wrong. There was space to back up. 

kleineklementine

Olive didn’t back up.

She didn’t back up half an inch from the gentle kiss. If anything, she leaned into it; though not much. As soon as his lips met hers, Olive knew this was what she wanted, right now. Outside of this attic, part of her knew, this was a terrible thing to do. Selfish, unfair, inappropriate, burying her head in the sand. But right now, inside the attic, she decided not to think about that.

If she’d been thinking harder about it - and maybe it’d occur to her later - she’d wonder if she, if they, weren’t taking a short cut. Olive also wanted them to ‘just be comfortable’ with each other again. Getting there by talking, telling each other all the ways they felt and all the things that had changed them, would be hard. And long. This was easy, and immediate. And treacherous.

When the kiss ended, Olive didn’t move away from Vale. She tried to frown, but it was clear she was suppressing a smile. “Oh,” she said, “that kiss wasn’t very inappropriate. So I guess you’re only a little happier than appropriate. So you’re probably still safe.”

Draconian

Part of him knew it was a bad idea. The rational adult part that knew there might be consequences to actions. The part that knew this wouldn't carry on past the attic. That maybe he'd look back on this and regret it completely. Still, he wanted and after he'd pulled away, he caught the look on her face. Valerian had grown selfish. When he could take something offered, instead of contemplating it... He simply grabbed it and thought on it later.

The beat between her talking and him moving in again was silent. Slowly he moved his hand to her cheek, his calloused thumb drawing over the smooth skin before he brushed his hand over the side of her head, gently tugging on her ear lobe before he caught her chin again. Then he went in for it, pressing his lips to her's roughly, his one hand going to her waist to pull her closer so that he could hold her tightly while smashing their lips together in a messy deep kiss.

kleineklementine

Olive's arms reached us, her hands in Vale's hair, pressing herself forward as he pulled her closer. Her lips parted, allowing the kiss to deepen, and she kissed him back with just as much fervor as him.  How could this really be wrong? This felt... almost like home. Feeling him, smelling him, Vale, real Vale, not just a shadow from her past. Once it would have been, even in that moment she knew that. But she wasn't the duke's daughter anymore. She wasn't going to make an important marriage. So... who cared?

Right then, Olive certainly didn't.

What she should have cared about was how this would feel tomorrow, or the day after. This was easy, and nice, and set her pulse thundering. But would it really repair the gap in their relationship? Maybe. Maybe not. But she wasn't asking herself any of those questions for long, her fingers lacing into Vale's hair.

She still had some presence of mind to stop, or maybe... slow down. After what felt like a long time, she pulled away from the kiss, resting her forehead on Vale's for a moment before pulling back a little to look at him. "Alright," she said with a smile that crinkled her nose, "I guess I believe you then."

Draconian

There was no surprised when she pulled away from the kiss.

Valerian did however, look very pleased with himself. It was silly how pleased with himself he was, it was just a kiss. Still, it was a kiss that had been waiting for years and he was giddy to finally get some payback. "Good. You shouldn't doubt me when it comes to kissing pretty girls," Slowly he turned to look around the attic, reaching over to grab her book.  "This one of those girly romance novels?"

His eyebrows were wiggling while he asked that and turned to flip through it. Though he didn't look at the cover or the back, which would ruin the surprise.

kleineklementine

Olive crinkled her nose at his self-satisfied boasting. "Did anyone ever tell you that gloating isn't very attractive?" It wasn't really a fair question, considering that she'd been far, far worse when she'd been younger. She stuck her tongue out at him all the same, though, in a real show of maturity and adultness. Olive shifted her weight so that she was leaning against Vale's chest. The air in the attic was less tense now, and Olive was more comfortable, but some of her earlier weariness or sadness settled on her again.

"What?" she asked; she hadn't been paying attention when Vale reached over to the book. "Oh, no," she said with a little laugh. Far from a romance novel, the heavy old tome was a treatise on hops cultivation and trade; hops being one of Wulfbauer's keep crops. Furthermore, it was written rather in Common, in Old Antiquarian, a scholarly language used by universities from Essryn to Connlaoth. It caused a little pang when he opened it; the book seemed like too tangible a reminder of the different positions. Not that government was really her 'position' anymore (or ever, as a woman), but Olive had become something of an unofficial advisor to the duke. And she wanted, more than most things, to be useful. "Well, I didn't think you'd come. So I needed something exciting to read."

Draconian

No?

Valerian looked at the cover and just stared at it, stared at her and just... Mostly stared. "This is exciting to you." His voice was dead pan and Olive got an odd look. He looked down at her briefly before opening the book and just... Staring some more. "I was going to make a joke about how if I read this exciting book to you it'd make you all blushy and warm but..." He flipped through the pages pretending to look a little disappointed, "I do not know this language." Valerian closed the book and put it down in front of them all the while making 'tsk'ing noises with his mouth.

Mostly disappointed with the lack of an opportunity to tease Conny. Olive.

"Why didn't you think I'd come? Have I ever not came to the attic?" He rose his eyebrows, giving her a challenging look, "Without good reason."  He looked away after a moment, "Honestly I was always sort of looking for the candle. Sorta... Like you'd just appear one day and the candle would be lit. The day dreams of a young boy polluting the mind of a man, I guess."

kleineklementine

"You didn't come once when we were ten after I'd punched you in the mouth earlier in the day," Olive told him matter-of-factly. She shifted then so she could watch his expression. His words about waiting for the candle were just so... sad. It made her wonder suddenly if he'd done it, too, when she'd gone to Uthlyn. Or if he would have kept looking for the candle if the war had never happened, if she'd been married and... Olive hadn't thought of it before, but it occurred to her then that, even without the war, their lives would have been Valerian staying here, working in the stables, while she went to university, went to the capital or other duchies, married and moved on.

No, she told herself then. Without the war, he wouldn't have lost his leg. He'd have joined the army and had lots of his own adventures. Definitely.

Instead of thinking longer about that, or answering his question about 'why she didn't think he'd come,' Olive decided to keep ignoring all the serious parts of the conversation.

"When have you ever known me to read that sort, though?" she asked him accusingly. "And what do you know about 'girly romance novels?' But," she grinned at him, "I think we both know that, in the very inappropriate scene you just described, you would be the one blushing!"

Draconian

"True," Valerian remembered that day. His face had hurt as much as his pride and it was loneliness and the urge to go play with his friend that had him get over his momentary grudge over her punching him in the mouth. He liked to think he matured a little on that day. Just a little. A smidge. He'd also learned that day to not pick battles he wasn't ready to fight because they got him a split lip.

"uuuh..." Quickly his eyes darted to the side and he gave her a smile, looking away and did blush. Damn. "I read a lot of books while I was..." He looked down at his leg for a moment. It had taken forever to heal, or at least for someone who was used to being so active it took forever. "One of the ladies brought it to me as a joke," He cleared his throat, "So I read it. I read everything they put in front of me. I know so many recipes. Can't make them worth a damn because I can't cook, but I can tell you how to make them." Here's to hoping she'd catch onto that last part instead of the 'I totally read all the romance novels' that lingered in the air.

kleineklementine

It felt wrong to tease him about anything he did while recovering. But... she couldn't help smirking at him. "Forget the recipes; it's not like I know how to cook any better than you do." Well, maybe Olive could 'cook' more than she could before. But she knew how to do things like roast wild game birds on an open fire. Nothing the cook in Wulfbauer Keep would consider 'cooking.'  "Tell me more about these 'exciting' ladies' novels. I never read any."

This, at least, was true. Growing up, Olive read little more than what her tutors had forced her to read. The rest of the time she was running around the grounds, frequently with Vale. Or riding with her father, or shooting, or hunting. All the tom-boy things her mother hated. At university she had, of course, read more. But nothing like that. She'd just... fooled around, instead of reading the silly books her few female friends read.

"I'm curious to hear what you think would make me blushed and not you."

In the back of her mind, a voice was reminding her that she'd really lit that candle because she wanted to talk to Vale. Not about... romance novels. But about what happened to her since leaving. To try to make him understand better who she was now. She hadn't lit the candle to pretend she was still the girl she had been. But it was so much nicer; did it matter if it was so much less sincere?

Draconian

Slowly, Valerian just stared at her, reaching over to press his palms over her ears and shook his head. Then he let go and just stared at her, frowning and then snapping his fingers, wiggling his index finger at her. "You're stalling." He folded his arms over his chest and just gave her a look, "Trying to get me all blushy and nervous 'cause I've read bad stories about people falling in love and having sex, oh no you don't, Miss Constance Olivia."

He gave the candle a look. Gave his lantern a look before he pushed a hand through his hair. "Why didn't you think I'd come to the attic? Really." Valerian licked his lips and sighed, "I already admitted to being a total asshole to you. Unless you explicitly told me to never look at you or talk to you again, you're out of luck on getting rid of me."

kleineklementine

She was stalling. And you're acting, she thought as he wagged his finger at her. They both were. Pretending to be people they weren't anymore. Her eyes followed him to the candle, thinking this. Then she let out a long exhale through her nose and gave a small shrug.

"Well, it's the middle of the night, for one thing," she started. "I thought you'd be asleep as likely as not. And even if you weren't, I didn't think you'd be on the lookout." She didn't say anything about how the maids had flooded her with stories of Valerian and 'his bottle' or that she thought if he were awake, he might not be sober enough to make it up to the attic. Maybe their stories were overblown, she'd told herself. "But also... I didn't know if you'd want to come. After the other day.

She frowned, reality creeping into the attic. "I probably shouldn't have put it there at all. You know I'm, I mean, I'm not really a 'guest' here. It's too dangerous for you, if you were accused of trying to help me escape or something - Not that I'm trying to escape," she added quickly. Not right now, anyway. But Olive would be lying if she said she didn't long for the freedom of living in the wilds and across the countryside. She didn't miss lots of things, though: not having a safe place to turn, not having enough to eat. And in those years, she'd seen several men like Valerian: men the war had left too maimed to be 'useful.' But Valerian was lucky; those men didn't have wooden legs or regular employment or a home. They'd been left as wandering beggars, limping along with rough-fashioned sticks. The thought of the same thing happening to Vale turned her stomach cold and she suddenly wondered what she'd been thinking. It had been very selfish, to ask him to come up here. She looked back up at him then, her expression earnest instead of teasing; she wasn't play-acting her eighteen-year-old self anymore. "You can't risk losing your place here, Vale."

Draconian

You can't risk losing his place here.

Instantly Valerian sobered, frowning at her and sitting up straighter. That's what she called him here for? The real reason. To tell him to just... Not risk it. Absent minded Valerian rubbed at his knee, hands going over the prosthetic leg for a second before he pulled his hand away and just... Frowned at the floor.  "Sure I can, I can risk my life for a war I think is utter bullshit but oh no, when it comes to you - oh no, that's too serious." He waved his hands in front of him sort of like lack luster jazzhands.

Slowly he put his hands back into his lap and then slowly pushed them through his hair, tugging at the ends. "Conny. Olive. Whatever you want me to call you. You have to tell me you don't want my help. None of this trying to make me back down on my own." He frowned at her, looking away after a moment, "Tell me you don't want me to help you. Tell me that after everything you've been through and everything you're going to go through that I'm the only person here whose help you don't want."  Then he gave her a haughty look, "Then maybe I'll think about being selfish. Maybe."