Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Southern stars

Started by Anadwen, January 03, 2014, 11:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

A couple of blunt swords clashed against each other. Two gladiators, fighting in the Colosseum, were walking around each other in great circles.

Daerian yawned in boredom. She was waiting for blood, but none appeared - their heavy armour and blunted weapons were not made for killing and bloodshed. Her eyes hardly even witnessed violence, and the whole experience didn't seem very amusing for her. Her hand, covered in half by an elegant bracer, reached after the grapes, served on a plate before her, and threw some into her mouth.

Finally, the battle has ended. She clapped lazily and pulled her hands back into the shadow, where bright sun couldn't shine on her snow-white skin. Three more hours to stay in this boiling pit. She stood up from her seat, and sneaked through the crowd under the Colosseum, to the dungeons and dark rooms where gladiators remained before battle. Heading straight to the organizer of battles, she pulled out her coin purse, rattling the gold and silver inside.

"I want to participate in the next battle." she said in a low voice, staring into the man's dark eyes, and slipped a couple of coins into his hand. "Against the strongest of your gladiators. Now."

The man only nodded in fear. He walked off, leaving her waiting by the door. After a while he returned. "The battle starts soon. I will lead you to the entrance..." he attempted to grab her arm, but she slipped from his reaching fingers and rushed forth, towards the gate, leading to the arena.

"You can choose from weapons and armor-"
"I want a spear." Daerian interrupted him. "A long and sleek one, and quickly."
He searched for a fitting weapon, and shortly after handed her a long spear with a slim, pointed tip. She grabbed the handle, examining what was given to her, then shook her head in agreement.
"It'll do. I need no armour, nor do I need a shield. Just the spear."

The gate was lifted, and she saw another gladiator entering the arena opposite to her. She stepped out of the shadow, her white skirt treading behind her, and strode towards him with long, confident steps, lightly holding the spear. The audience was surprised, their faces mirroring wonder and awe, but she cared not. Her eyes were focused at the tall mass of muscles with shoulders as wide as a dining table, standing against her. She checked his armour and posture, searching for a weak point.

The horn, signaling the beginning of the battle, bellowed. Daerian's eyes was glued to the man's neck. She charged towards him, aiming her spear towards his chest, but not to pierce the plate of iron, covering him, or his wooden shield, just push back and break his balance. He covered himself with his shield, but stumbled and made a step back, staring at her from beneath the edge of his helmet.

The woman leaped into the air, with great speed and strength crashed into him and knocked him over before he even got a chance to act. His arm with a shortsword arose towards her, but she gripped her white fingers around his shoulder and twisted his arm. The sword thudded on the ground as he dropped it. She, kneeling on him, held the tip of her spear by his neck, ready to push a little, and cut the veins in his unguarded neck.

The organizer quickly rushed into the arena. "We have a winner, we have a winner!" He grabbed her wrist and pulled her up, holding her hand above their hands. The spectators cheered and clapped, but Daerian was hardly amused. If this was the best gladiator here, she could just as well leave, and keep wandering through the town like before.

She was rewarded by money, but it didn't matter to her much, since she had enough gold to bathe in it any day. Soon, she was walking through the streets again, waiting for the dawn to come and the shadows of night to bring her freedom again.

DaGlobster

Herrick sat in the arena, watching the two gladiators brutishly wack at each other with blunted swords. The people around him seemed to be entertained, but he very visibly wasn't. He pulled a small gem about the size of an eyeball from his pocket, a small fire raging inside it. He had swiped it from a mage, an almost reflexive move. He had genuinely bumped into the mage by accident, and muscle memory guided his hand to the mage's purse. Both parties had gone their seperate ways, except one of them was now several gold pieces and a fireburst diamond richer. He held it in his fingers, and hs eyes wandered to a beauty of a different calibre. He spotted the noblewoman, lying unamused in her stand, and was intrigued. He put the diamond back into his pocket and watched her from his seat.

After the fight was over, he performed his obligatory applause, and watched with great interest as the noblewoman left...only to come back as a contestant. He had to admit, she fought like a lioness, and looked damn good doing it. As soon as she went on her way, he made his exit, descending the steps until he was on the ground floor.

As soon as he entered the exit hallway, however, his path was blocked by a very familiar looking mage, and two unfamiliar looking bruisers, most likely mercenaries. "My purse. I would like it returned." The mage snarled, a small fire starting up in his hand as the other clenched around a long sword. Herrick eyed the bruisers accompanying the mage. One of them was a beast of a man, about seven feet tall, with a two-handed scimitar. The other was not as impressive, and carried a sickle and a wooden shield. Both men had breastplates and turbans with red feathers coming out of them in a crest-like pattern. "I quite like the diamond, lad. I think I'll be keeping it." He said, and cracked a smile. The mage also smile, and suddenly thrust his hand forward.

Herrick dodged perfectly, the jet of flame flying past him as he turned out of the way. Passers by all screamed and cleared the area, and as soon as the jet of flame passed, the bruisers moved in. Herrick saw the man-beast's downward chop a mile away, and effortlessly sidestepped, jumping backwards as the second swung for his gut with the sickle.

He laughed, and drew his rapier, holding it out in front of him and pointing at the mage, who looked slightly dumbfounded along with the bruisers, but immediately resumed his attacks. A few bolts of fire shot towards Herrick, and he dodged them  one by one, raising his rapier to block another downard swing from the taller bruiser. The force of the man's blow forced Herrick to his knees, but even as the man's scimitar pushed against his rapier, Herrick smiled. The man only understood Herrick's sentiment when he heard the clicking of a pistol, and felt something push against his chest. He didn't even have time to widen his eyes before a terrible thundering cracked out, and he flew backwards and collided with the stone wall of the hallway, blood fountaing from a gaping chest-wound. Herrick stood back up onto his feet, twirling the massive dragon-hunting pistol on one of his fingers. The pistol was large, with a barrel twice as long and three times as wide as an ordinary one.

"Would any of you two like to volunteer to go next?" He chuckled, casting an idle glance towards the dead man against the wall and holstering his pistol. The remaining bruiser hesitated for a few moments, before yelling and charging forwards. Herrick parried the man's swipe, and with a flick of his wrist and a forwards thrust, he had thrust his rapier through the man's chest, the magical blade completely ignoring the man's breastplate as if it never existed. Before the man could even think about the rapier hilt deep in his chest, Herrick had extracted it and thrust again, this time puncturing his lung. He repeated this lightning strike twice more, once for the other lung and once for the man's throat.

He let the dead mercenary fall off of his rapier, and looked over to the mage, who immediately started bolting for the exit. Like lightning, Herrick's hand flashed to his belt, grabbed his special dagger, and launched it in the mage's direction. The dagger sunk itself into the back of the mage's neck, and Herrick sighed. He wiped what blood he could off of his rapier onto the clothing of the nearest dead mercenary, although some still remained on the blade when he sheathed it. He looked to his left, and saw a cowering servant.

"You the clean-up guy?" Herrick asked.

The servant nodded slowly.

Herrick tossed the servant a gold coin, and cracked a smile. "Sorry about the mess." He said, and walked out of the arena entrance, pulling his dagger from the mage's neck and sheathing it. It took him a few minutes, but he finally tracked down the noblewoman, and begun discreetly following her down the street, making sure to look as inconspicuous as possible.

Anadwen

Daerian avoided the main streets, instead slipping through the backstreets and alleys amid the backsides of houses. Her enhanced senses soon recognized the presence of another person that followed her. She smirked at the thought, and brisked up, her long cape and dress waving behind her.

Whoever was it, and whatever he wanted, he wouldn't stand a chance against someone like her. Even in light clothes, only with a thin metal plate covering the upper part of her chest, the hardest, most skilled fighters would have a hard time if they picked a fight with her. She didn't care about Essyrn's restrictions about dark magic - she did what she wanted, and no dumb-witted nobles would make her obey, if she chose not to.

Essyrn hardly held anything interesting for her, except for their knowledge of stars and sorcery, which she could often apply to her own magic, in dark, twisted ways bend it to her will. The ways of the world could be changed, made fit for herself. In the end, they always would.

Her feet, this time only in light boots, made of leather, hardly made a sound on the tiles. She ran through a dark, shadowy street. The sun was drawing closer to the western horizon, and shadows were getting longer, as the fingers of the night reached after the world, covering it with the veil of twilight. Daerian swiftly rushed through a labyrinth of streets, until she appeared behind her follower's back.

"Well hello there, sir..." she said, smiling softly. Her purple eyes were narrowed as she placed one hand on her hip, and stared at the man without winking once.

DaGlobster

Herrick grew wary of the alleyways as he followed Daerian. He had been hiding out in Essyrn after an altercation in Serendipity, finding comfort in how easy it was to steal something and disappear. After all, as the old saying went, there were more Essyrni theves than there were people in Uthlyn. He had taken the time during his short exodus to familiarize himself with most of the layout. He stopped when Daerian ducked out of sight, only realizing what she was doing when he heard her behind him. He slowly turned around to face her as she greeted him, looking her up and down in a quick search for any immediately visible threats. Seeing nothing too dangerous looking, his eyes moved up to hers.

Suddenly, he bowed, a quick yet dignified motion that denoted someone who was a member of a noble court. "You must excuse my behaviour, my lady. I had the pleasure of viewing your performance in the arena, and was merely hoping to follow you to your accomodations, maybe have a talk over a glass of wine?" He said. His dagger had slid slightly out of its sheathe when be bowed, and he only noticed this after he finished speaking. He pushed it back in, the blade still tinted slightly red with the relatively fresh blood still on it. "Pardon me, my lady. I had an altercation as I exited the arena. I have not yet had a chance to clean my blades." He explained, giving her a genuine smile. He didn't care if she believed him or not. All that he told her was the truth. He just happened to leave certain parts out.