Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The Summoning [Mephistel]

Started by Fukurou, April 30, 2016, 01:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fukurou

The stars twinkled brilliantly against the milky-black backdrop of the night sky, filling the cavern with a soft glow from the hole in the roof. Rylzyr looked around the cave. Everything was in place. Perfect. He stood above the summoning circle, examining its details. At the center was a small, runic inscription painted in purple. Surrounding it was a large 16-point star whose white lines criss-crossed over and on top of eachother. The length of the points alternated with half of them stopping at the first thin line part way through the circle and the other half ending at the second thick line. In between each of the long points were other small circles of varying colors with intricate runic designs. Above the thick line where the long points met was another more small layer. This layer consisted of a scrolling, runic red text that was simply meant to seal the spirit within the circle until broken by the caster. This layer wasn't necessary, but was simply a precaution. Outside of the main circle were the five smaller circles in which contained white, unlit summoning candles. Rylzyr pulled the card from out of his book and placed it at the center of the circle. It was the Hanged Man. He found this card deep within an ancient ruin in the Terrin Mountains and was drawn to its magical properties. For weeks, he searched the libraries of Serendipity's Mage's Colleges but came across little information, but what he could find was that this card was a vessel for an ancient spirit. What manner of spirit, what plane of existence it hailed from, or whether or not it was malevolent was unknown.

Rylzyr backed out of the circle. He held his arms out in front of him at about chin-height with his palms turned upward. He started chanting the ritualistic summoning spell. The palms of his hands filled with glowing white orbs and his feet elevated slightly off the ground. One by one, the candles started to light and the tarot card slowly started to rise into the air. Once it reached eye level, it started spinning, causing the air in the cavern to stir as if a great storm had picked up. Any loose paper lying about the cavern went flying in all directions and the pages of the book floating by Rylzyr's head started flipping through wildly, seeming to have no end. A bright glow grew from the center of the card and engulfed the entirety of the main circle. The Hanged Man had been summoned.

Mephistel

In the spiritual world, everything felt as if you were floating, nothing ever changing, the world surrounding you was pitch black, at least, the one surrounding this particular spirit was. Stars falling all around was the only light he'd ever seen in this place. The planets of the universe could be seen, as their rotation was slow or fast. This world belonged to the celestial spirit, those who had seen the world unfold, destiny shattering mankind hope and setting the wheels in motion.

This place belonged to the unknown, to the past, the present and futur, as all of the aspect of life were set in the 22 cards of the Major Arcana, known as the Tarot. Many had use these cards to predict the futur, to call for wisdom or advice in life. But few truly knew how to handle them, sometime leading to misunderstanding. To interprete their divine guidance resulted in a long study of the art of cartomancy and divination. One could not simply tap into the futur without prior knowledge or belief.

As for him, he simply saw the world as it passed by, hanged by the foot, he could see everything down below. This position, he had chose for himself, but neither did he was hurt or felt pain. He waited, simply, patience being his best friend as he waited for those in need to ask for his advice. The notion of self sacrifice being what he knew best, an act of generosity, an act of offering in order to save others or obtain something. Self sacrifice could never be avoid at some point, be it the woman giving birth to a child or the man working from morning to night to field his crops.

Self sacrifice could be seen in many forms, yet, many people are in such a hurry, for a human life is short and often, self centered. He slowly opened his eyes, as he felt someone calling, a chant, a ritual. But not in the usual spiritual stance...this time, he was physically called into the world of the living. Had one found his card, the one of the 22 Major arcana, engraved with powerful magic, enough to summon one of those celestial spirit into the world? He was curious now.

He could feel the wind of change turning as he was cast upon the Earth. As the magical circle started to shine brightly, the spirit started to appear, first, a rope, straight, moving up as foam and mist started bubbling from the card itself at the center. Then a foot, attached to that same rope, moving upward, soon follow by the rest of the body, one leg hanging by that rope, the other bend on the side. His arms crossed on his chest, eyes closed and a peaceful look on his face.

The thin and slender young man that appear had brown skin and grey blond short hair, rounded by a red thorn piece of tissue. His neck, arms and tight were covered in red bandages, a short black stitched sleeveless top covered his front and a pair of black short of the same kind added to the clothing. A rope, hanged from his neck and many golden piercing could be found upon his ears and face, a necklace of opals and aqua like gem hanged from his hair. XII was carved in his skin, right under his left eye.

Once all of his body was out of the card, he stayed there, suspended in the middle of the circle, his head at the same level that of Rylzyr. The circle stopped shining and returned to his grey black ashes state and the mist also stopped. He slowly opened his eyes, where the eyeball should be white, it was a bright purple and his iris were an electric blue, as for his pupil, it was downright white.

-To thee who have called me...I am Liesel...The Hanged man...state your name...-

His voice was soft, calm and peaceful.

Fukurou

The orbs of light faded from his hands and his feat touched the ground once more. "You can call me Rylzyr." He walked closer to the circle and stopped just before the first layer, careful as to not to break the seal just yet. Rylzyr's ruby colored eyes scanned over the spirit, his demeanor calm and calculated. "You are a spirit of the 22 Major Arcana, am I correct? 'Tarot Cards,' from what I've read. Unfortunately, that's all I know about you."

The way he performed the ritual and the manner in which he spoke to the spirit made it apparent that he was no novice mage. In fact, he was so collected that one would assume he's preformed these types of rituals hundreds of times.

Mephistel

Liesel looked at the man who had summoned him, without even knowing much but his name. He could tell the man was a mage of great knowledge and power. He stayed silent for a moment as he chose his words carefully.

-Thee are correct...mortals seek my advice, for I watch the world unfold....and destiny beckon...in the past...present...and futur...-

He said softly, unmoving in his position. One would be dizzy, but he was not, this was merely how it had always been.

-I am the embodiment of self-sacrifice...and patience...-

He paused again.

-What is it that thee seek from me?-

He asked softly, once more.

Fukurou

"I've summoned you simply because I am curious." His voice had a calm yet confident tone to it and seemed to carry a hint of authority. It was hard to read his expression, but if one could hazard a guess they might say he looked bored.

As he spoke, the leather-bound book floating a foot from his head opened to a blank page in order to allow for the phoenix-feathered quill to scribble within.

"You said that mortals often use you for advice. Is there anything that you ask for in return?"

Mephistel

It had been a long time since he had interacted directly with someone, and this particular person seemed to be of the scholar kind.

-Mortal kin rarely have a chance to speak directly with me...I do not request payment...for my duty is to help others and answer those who seek advices...-

He said softly once again.

Fukurou

"Interesting..." Rylzy eyed the spirit for several seconds as the quill scribbled furiously into his book. It wasn't necessarily rare for spirits to give favors for free and when they did it was usually something small and inconsequential. "So, you've interacted with other mortals before? What sort of advise do they normally seek? Has anyone ever sought more than just advise or is that beyond your purpose?"

Mephistel

So many question at the same time, such impatient character. Liesel smiled a little, despite his rebellious appearence, he was quite calm and compose.

-I did...but never from the same plane...tough...I feel like a prisoner here...I do not mind answering thee questions, but I certainly would prefer a less restraining situation...-

He said, tilting his head on the side. Still upside down.

Fukurou

"Ah, right." Rylzyr snapped his finger. With a short hiss, the runic inscriptions of the seal evaporated, causing the barrier to be broken. He normally wouldn't break the seal so early into his research, but his instincts were telling him that doing so would be fine. "I apologize about that. They were simple a precaution. I hope you understand."

Mephistel

Once the barrier was down, Liesel could feel the cold of the night of this world, the light of the stars dancing upon his skin and the wind blowing trough the cave. It wasn't exactly fun to be suspended between two worlds.

-Ahh...much better...-

He whispered. Taking a deep breath of fresh air, the mortal world was such a beautiful place. He stretched a little, still suspended by the foot from that rope, hanging into the air.

-One must be ready to encounter any situation...even more when playing in the realm of magic...-

He simply nodded.

-What mortal seeks are different from each individuals...love, power, glory, money...the Tarot act as an individual by been together, cartomancer can learn of the past, the present and the futur by using the 22 Major Arcana, but one can easily be mislead if one does not truly know how to communicate with us...-

He answer. His expression shifted a little.

-One man...tough, wanted to use us in more then that...each of us possess great powers...that man was greedy...and created a special deck...in which he scealed us, spirits, to call us forth at any time...he was powerful and had no need of summoning circles...-

He glance at the card on the ground.

-This is one of those...-

Fukurou

"Hm..." Rylzyr listened to the spirit with great intent as his quill continued to scratch away at the book. "So, there must be 21 other cards lying about, then." He walked towards the card, picked it up and examined it. "So what you're saying is that this man created these cards, bound you to them, and would temporary break the seal thus summoning you into the mortal realm?" He flipped the card every which way, feeling residual affects of the magic tingle his fingers.

Mephistel

Liesel nodded slowly.

-He didn't need to break the sceal...he created summoning cards to call us any time he needed...-

He said. The rope started to lower itself and Liesel extended his hands to touch the ground, then slowly got back up the right way, been back on his feet felt somewhat strange, for he had been upside down for a long while.

Fukurou

"Yes, he created them," his eyes narrowed as he examined the finer details of the card. "But I'm curious as to how he did it. Specifically, what means he used to... how do I say it... keep you in there, especially if he didn't use a seal or even a partial one." Rylzyr continued mutter a few things under his breath in a foreign language as he examined the card. "... but I guess there could be and endless amount of possibilities," he said, suddenly switching back into Common. "Using a weaker seal wouldn't be the most effective way, now that I think about it." He looked up and noticed that the spirit now had his feet firmly on the ground. "Ah... I apologize for rambling. Please, do make yourself at home. Or at least the best you can." Rylzyr motioned around the cave. There wasn't really much around. It looked as though Rylzyr had been using this place for experiments but nothing more. Paper was everywhere as a result of the summoning, glyphs and runes covered the wall, and there was even a small fire pit with a teapot hanging over it in the corner. "Let me know if you want anything to eat or drink."

Mephistel

Liesel nodded slowly.

-Well...I wouldn't say no to tea...-

He said. It was a while since he had some and he remember he used to be taking it often with his former master.

-Master Crow is a powerful mage after all...-

He added as he walked closer to the fire and sat next to it. The warm of the real world was comforting, stars were all beautiful but the burning flame of a fire was also pretty hypnotic. He looked around at the parchment, the runes over the walls, the papers on the ground. Such a mess.

Fukurou

Rylzyr pulled a couple of cups from out of his satchel and placed it on a small table. He took the teapot and poured each of them a glass of tea. As he was doing so, he glanced at Liesel with a curious glint in his eyes.

"Is?" He handed the spirit a cup of tea, delicate steam billowing out of the cup. Rylzyr pondered at Liesel's choice of the word 'is.' Is this mage still alive, or is this spirit's last memory of him being alive, leading him to say 'is?' Either way, Rylzyr was quite curious of this man. He sipped his tea. "What kind of man is this mage, if I may ask?"

Mephistel

Liesel sipped at his tea, it had been a long time. It did reminded him of Crow, he would call him to take tea when he was alone or in intense research.

-Well...when I knew him, he was using many kind of magic...but above all, he was a Necromancer...I don't know where he is right now...probably exploring ruins or making research...-

The spirit said, tilting his head on the side.

-He is the kind of man who wanted to know everything about magic...about this world...be it ancien civilisation or old magic style...-

He said softly.

Fukurou

Rylzyr rested his gaze on the spirit several seconds. As per usual, his expression was difficult to read except for the fact that he appeared to be deep in thought.

Rylzyr took another sip of his tea.

"How did he treat you and your fellows?" He broke his silence yet his expression remained the same. "Like equals? Partners? Slaves?"

Mephistel

The spirit seemed to be thinking about that question for a moment. His gaze wandering the cave in silence, until his blue white iris turned back toward the mage. He tilted his head on the side.

-Well...it often depended on his mood, tough he never treated us as slave, but he was a bit pushy, asking a lot of questions and testing things out...he was very enthusiastic about his research...-

He said, taking another sip and sighing. The hot beverage felt good.

Fukurou

"I see.." Rylzyr's eyes went from the spirit back to the card. He spent a little more time examining the card as phoenix feather quill scratched furiously into the book. "I would love to examine this further, but..." He looked back up at Liesel and handed him the tarot card, giving him an amiable smile. "I believe it doesn't belong to me."

Mephistel

Liesel took the card, it's familiar scent reminded him of old days. He started to think for a moment. He wonder how Crow had manage to lose that card, it wasn't his style to lose something important, even less something he created himself.

-I wonder what happened...-

He said softly, looking at the card, which was now empty, since he was in the human world. These cards acted somewhat as portal...doors to enter the different realm, but only accessible for him.

-Well...the card might not...but I don't belong to anyone...tough, if you do wish to learn more...there is always a way...like a contract...-

He said, tilting his head back toward Rylzyr.