Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

How unBEARable! [open]

Started by Rhindeer, January 22, 2015, 08:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

With a large, thick stick in one hand, and her heavy tome of notes in the other, Mei backed slowly away from the large black bear advancing on her, the ruined remnants of her camp all around her. She had come back from, ah, relieving herself in the bushes to find some cubs tearing into her food, and when she'd gotten too close so she could draw them, well...

That's when mama bear showed up.

The cubs were nowhere in sight now, but the eight-foot tall beast before her was definitely more bear than she'd ever wanted! It growled at her as she waved her stick at it, watching her with keen eyes as though gauging how much of a threat said stick was, and then snorted and took a large step toward her.

"No, no! Stay back! Back! Just hold on a moment, now, I haven't found the page yet!" And, propping her book up with her arm and her chin, Mei flipped frantically through the pages. Inima, help her! Where were her notes about bears?! She knew she'd written something down! Something about how to escape them or scare them off! Was it trees? Were you supposed to climb them? Or not climb them?

The bear took another menacing step toward her, and Mei threw the stick at its head. "I said stay back!" she said, and the bear snarled as it glanced off its nose. "I know for a fact human isn't your usual prey! You mostly eat fish and berries! Now calm down! I didn't even touch your cub! Oh, Inima, where is that section! Ah! Brown bears, no...polar bear, definitely not...black...hrm...no, that one has a stripe across the chest...do you have blue eyes? Apparently, the Eastern Black has blue--"

That was when the bear let out a bellowing roar--

And charged.

And with a yelp of fright, Mei tossed her book (cringecringe!) and ran, straight for the nearest tree, which she scrambled up as quickly as she could. She lost a sandal in the process, and mama bear caught it in her mouth, shook it, and tossed the ruined thing away. But Mei was already up several branches, her heart in her throat as she balanced on a branch and clung to the trunk.

"You win! Fine! You win! I'm sorry I  tried to draw your cubs! I know some cultures have a fear of pictures, that capturing their image captures their soul, but I assure you, furry lady, that's not what I--oh. Oh. You can climb?!"

Because that's exactly what mama bear was doing. She dug her long, long claws into the bark and started to climb, and Mei yelped, grabbed a branch above her, and started to climb higher. "Oh GODDESS. That's what it was! Don't climb, Mei! Don't climb trees when chased by a bear! Of course!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Yup. He was most definitely lost. Gutztomp took a look around. All the trees looked exactly the same. How was he supposed to know where he was going? It also didn't help that he couldn't make heads or tails of this stupid map that he had been given. Gutztomp tossed the map aside and sighed. This was just fantastic. It was then that he heard something roar, and it sounded big. Gutztomp grinned. Another trophy perhaps?

Gutztomp rushed to the seen to find a bear climbing a tree after some human. The bear was his only concern though. Gutztomp grabbed the bear's leg and started pulling it down the tree.

"Come 'ere," Gutztomp said as he pulled.

The bear had no choice but to come down and deal with the new threat. It charged at Gutztomp, but Gutztomp merely drew back and punched the bear in the face. The bear tumbled to the ground as its momentum continued. Determined to defend her cubs, the bear rose again. Gutztomp charged this time and tackled the beast to the ground. He then lifted it over his head and tossed it to the ground. The bear struggled to its feet and ran off as best it could, the cubs in tow.

"Oi, I ain't done with you," Gutztomp called after it with a grin.

However, the bear didn't want to stick around, so it disappeared into the forest.

Rhindeer

And just when Mei knew she was in deep, just when she thought she was about to become lunch because she was starting to run out of tree to climb--something grabbed the bear.

Right before her eyes, a fight broke out, a giant green man versus a giant bear! And the man...won. By punching the bear and tossing her around.

Mei watched in abject fascination, arms stretched over her head to grip the branch above her while she leaned forward to watch, feet precariously balanced on the branch beneath her. What on earth was he? And that green skin, what kind of a purpose did that serve? Was it for camouflage? Was he plant-related? Did his skin perhaps grow mold like the fur of a sloth? No, he was far too fast! She'd never seen anything like him before, and her fingers itched for her book and charcoal!

"Oh! You! Down there! Green man!" she called as the bear bounded away. "Please stay right there! Don't move! I need to ask you so many things! And draw you, if you don't mind, and I'm sure you don't! Who doesn't like being drawn? Ah, but the way you handled that beast was amazing, and so effortlessly, too! Hold on, I'll be just a moment, just until I get back--whoa!"

It was while Mei was leaning forward that, unfortunately, she lost her balance, slipped off the branch with a yelp, and wound up dangling by her arms. And unfortunately for her, she wasn't built for strength at all, so she dangled just a second or two before her aching fingers slipped and, with a cry, she went falling down.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp looked up at the human girl and scratched his head as a very rapid stream of words came flying out of her mouth. Then, the human fell out of the tree. Gutztomp simply stood and watched. What was she doing up there anyway? Gutztomp scratched his head once more as the girl lay in a crumpled heap on the ground. This human was particularly strange. Scrawny too.

Rhindeer

Fortunately for Mei, she landed in a bush, otherwise she would have broken something!

As it was, she bounced off the bush and landed hard on the ground, where she lay there groaning, leaves and twigs in her hair and clothes and bloody scratches on the bare skin of her arms and legs. Rubbing her head sorely, her body achy and bruised, she sat up weakly. "Owww...you were supposed to catch me!"

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp merely looked at her and asked,

"Why?"

Catch her? Why would he? If she were tougher she wouldn't have needed to be caught in the first place. If anything he had one the puny human a favor by letting her hit the ground and get toughened up a bit.

Rhindeer

"Because I could have died! Or broken a bone, at the very least!" Mei said as she picked leaves and sticks from her hair. "And because that really hurt! And because you did fight off a bear, so it stands to reason if you were strong enough to do that you were strong enough to catch a tiny thing like me."

Craning her neck, she looked up--waaay up!--at his face, squinting against the light. "Inima, you're massive!"

Wicked Basket

"Why should I care about a tiny fing like you," Gutztomp replied slightly irritated by her tone. "It's not my fault you're small and weak 'ooman. All you 'oomans are small and weak. You need to be bigger and tougher like an ork."

Rhindeer

"An 'ork'? Is that what your people are called?" Mei asked, and scrambled around looking for her book and rucksack. They'd both gone flying somewhere when she'd fled from the bear. "Oh, gosh darnit, where are my notes! Hold still, don't go anywhere! I have much I need to ask you!"

Wincing sorely, she rose to her feet and started to limp back the direction she'd gone, one foot bare since her other sandal was chomped up. She found her book not far away, and her rucksack discarded just a bit further down. Carrying both back to the ork, she sat down cross-legged and smiled up at him.

"I'm afraid I can't help being small. This is as big as I'm going to get! Now, as for you, would you mind staying just like that so I can draw you? I promise it won't take long!"

Wicked Basket

"Draw me," Gutztomp asked. "Wot da hell is that?"

Rhindeer

Pulling a stick of charcoal from her bag, Mei held it out so he could see it. "Drawing! It's making pictures on parchment!" she said, and flipped her book open to a blank, fresh page.

"This is charcoal, see? And I'll use it to put a likeness of you down onto this blank page! It's for my own reference later.  So just hold a comfortable pose, and it's okay if you want to talk so long as you don't move around too much! In fact, you should tell me about orks while I do this, okay? Tell me everything."

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp was admittedly intrigued by this idea of drawing. He did like himself, so the idea of a likeness of himself was also intriguing. He decided to let this human do whatever it is she wanted to do. It wasn't like she was of any threat to him.

"We're da biggest, meanest, and strongest fings around," he told her. "No one's a better fighter than da orks."

Rhindeer

Mei's tongue poked out of the corner of her mouth as she started to sketch, glancing up at the ork every few seconds as she worked. "Is that so? Well, after seeing you fight that bear, I would have to agree! You are big and strong, certainly! Mean is up for debate. You're being rather kind right now!" she said with a wide smile his way before she started up her furious sketching again.

"What else? What is your name? Why are you green? Where do your people live? Are you a nomadic people, or stationary? Are you a social culture, or solitary? Please, don't skimp on any details, if you don't mind!"

Wicked Basket

"I am Gutztomp," he told her proudly. "Orks are green because orks are da best and green is da best."

He had no idea what that other stuff meant, so he just skipped it entirely. Fortunately for Mei, she managed to get Gutztomp into a talkative mood with all her compliments.

Rhindeer

"Gut...stomp?" Mei repeated with a slight wrinkle of her nose as she looked up at him. Though she was fluent in Common, sometimes the nuances and colloquialisms escaped her still. And it was also possible his people had a different language and it was Gut-Stomp at all! Maybe it just sounded like those words in Common, but actually meant something different and refined in his language. After all, he did have a funny accent!

She marked his name down in the special characters Thanati used to denote foreign words. "Very nice! It's a joy to meet you, Gutztomp! I'm Mei! Hmm, now, you say you're green because it's the best. Interesting. I'd say that's rather subjective! I'm rather fond of red, myself, but green is a very calming color. Very natural and soothing. Where do you live, Gutztomp? Are you alone out here, or are there more of you?"

Wicked Basket

"Green is da best," Gutztomp reasserted. "And I live alone in a cave in da mountains where I keep all my trophies of my greatest kills."

Rhindeer

"I see!" Mei said and, pursing her lips, wrote down "solitary" in her notes. "So you're a hunter, then? What kinds of things do you hunt? Do you eat a meat based diet, or are you an omnivore?"

Wicked Basket

"I hunt da biggest fings I can find," Gutztomp replied. "And I eat meat. A lot of meat."

Rhindeer

"Interesting! Very interesting!" Mei said as she sketched, and decided she would have to try to pry more answers out of him some other way. He was clearly a simple man.

Soon, she had finished her sketch, and she sat up on her knees and held her book open to him proudly so he could see. And it was actually a rather good drawing! Mei had always been artistic. "There! All finished! It's the spitting image of you, don't you think?"

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp looked closely at the drawing and frowned.

"It's not green," he said flatly.