Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Every rose has its thorns. [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 02, 2015, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

You know a hare won't be enough, the voice whispered in Sadb's ear, lover-close, as she pulled the dead rabbit free of the thorny vines that had entangled it, the vines shifting and uncoiling like a living thing by her command. Sadb grit her teeth. The fae didn't have to remind her. It had been months since a person had visited her house of thorns, and she could feel the fae growing restless, dissatisfied with animal tributes and her own meager blood offerings. The thorns were growing thirsty.

"You said animal was enough."

I did, the fae answered, but I've grown bored.

Sadb felt like throwing the rabbit, if there was anything to throw it at--and if it wouldn't damage the pelt. Instead, she just held it by the ears and headed, stiff-backed, outside, the vines parting as she walked to allow her passage as she traveled through the labyrinth of her creation. "Bored, hm?"

Yes. You're boring. You've been very boring lately. Sometimes, it was easy to forget the fae was ancient and dangerous when she took such a petulant tone. You haven't visited any villages in aaages! And no one's come to visit us! Animal just isn't the same. It's not as rich. If you don't snare a human soon, you may soon be snared instead.

And the vines closed in around Sadb then, swinging down to block her passage and pressing in until she could feel the prick of thorns through her clothes. And though Sadb's breath caught, her heart leaping as a chill went through her, she swallowed down her fear and made a point of rolling her eyes. Fae were like animals; they smelled fear.

"Don't be so dramatic. I get it, trust me," she said, and with a flick of her hand the vines receded and she ducked on through the passage and into the bright light of day. "You need to learn a little patience, you know."

I've been patient, and it's been months, the fae pouted. I want human this month. And this month I will get it. And then, just like that, Sadb felt it as the fae receded from her mind and went off to wherever it was she went, leaving her, for a moment at least, in peace.

With a relieved sigh, to have her mind to herself, Sadb went to her fire pit--which was empty--and sat down beside it where she could work on gutting and skinning and cooking the rabbit. Its fur had gotten a little too damaged from the thorns to be worth salvaging, but its meat would still be good. About the one good thing about the fae was she never hungered; her thorns sprouted blossoms, and the sweet smell attracted animals. There was never a shortage of beasts killed in the vines.

And as she worked, she found the rabbit was, like all other creatures killed there, bloodless.

Even though she had grown accustomed to it, it was still as eerie as the first time she'd realized it.

With the animal skinned and gutted, Sadb rose to her feet and walked the short distance to the stream to clean her knife and hands, her fingers growing numb against the cold water.  It was a beautiful day, the wind constant but not so biting, the sun warm, the land rich and green. And yet, here she was.

Just another day nursing a bloodthirsty fae.

Just another day both hoping for another person to come on by, and wishing they would stay away.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gen always enjoyed going places he has not been to before. This part of Sirantil Valley was foreign to him, which made it immediately garner his interest. He enjoyed exploring new places in his own unique way.

The forest was unusually quiet. It was almost as if all of its inhabitants were hiding from some unknown danger. That wasn't going to stop Gen though. He was confident in his abilities as a swordsman. In fact, the uncharacteristic silence further encouraged his exploration. What could go wrong?

Rhindeer

It was while Sadb was cleaning up that she heard it, the faint sounds of rustling that wasn't caused by the rhythmic ebb and flow of the wind. This sounded more like the rustling of an animal, but larger--

And when she raised her eyes, she saw she wasn't quite wrong.

For moving over the fields was a person. A tall swordsman, at that.

Sadb's heart leaped into her throat even as her body went rigid with fear--fear for herself, and fear for this stranger. Surely he was here to kill her, as all the others were, and that frightened her, but what frightened her more was what would happen if he tried.

He'd wind up just like the others, flesh tangled and rotting all among the thorns.

Rising to her feet and drying her hands off onto her breeches, she cupped her hands around her mouth. "You there! Turn back! I won't warn you twice!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gen came to a halt when he heard a voice. He reached out into the air around him until he discovered the source. It was a young woman.

"What are you doing out here all alone in the woods," he asked. "And why must I turn back? It's a lovely day."

Rhindeer

"That's not any of your concern, nor any of your business," Sadb snapped, hands curling into fists at her sides. "What are you doing here? That's the important question."

Wicked Basket

"I'm out on a walk," Gen replied calmly. "Can't a man simply enjoy nature?"

Gen turned and faced Sadb's direction.

"I know you're there. Why are you hiding? Why not come out here so we can talk?"

Rhindeer

"I'm not hiding," Sadb said, her voice growing tight with impatience--and rising panic. "But I find it awfully strange that you're so adamant about drawing me out! Who sent you? How much did they promise you? I assure you, it's not worth your life."

But even as she spoke, she was backing away, edging slowly toward the safety of the brambles. "Go. Away."

Wicked Basket

Gen tilted his head inquisitively.

"Be calm, child," Gen told her. "No one sent me, and no one promised me anything. No value can be placed on a human life. You don't have to come out of hiding, but you sound like you could use someone to talk to."

Gen sat down cross-legged on the ground.

"What's troubling you?"

Rhindeer

"Wh...what's troubling me?" Sadb didn't even know how to answer that. Any of that. It was so contrary to her experiences with the others who had come through here that she didn't know how to begin formulating a response.

Of course, maybe that's what he wanted: to throw her off balance. Surely there were stories regarding the fates of the others who had come to her, so it stood to reason people might want to try techniques that hadn't been tried before. Not that everyone had come barreling in, sword drawn; many had tried to gain her trust first.

She trusted those ones less than the ones who came with their swords out and intentions clear. And this man, with his blindfold, was definitely untrustworthy. Did he think she'd fall for the blind act, when he'd been walking about perfectly fine? It was no doubt sheer enough for him to still see.

She folded her arms over her chest. "You're troubling me!" she finally shot back, for lack of knowing what else to say!

Wicked Basket

"I was simply minding my own business," Gen replied calmly. "You called out to me. How am I troubling you?"

This young woman was quite strange indeed. She must live a very rough life to treat strangers with such hostility.

Rhindeer

"I--"

Sadb closed her mouth and let out a sigh through her nose. He had her there. She had made the first move.

"Then what are you doing out here?" she snapped when she recovered. "What's with the blind act? Trying to win me over and gain my trust?"

Wicked Basket

Gen cocked an eyebrow at this unusual accusation.

"I can assure you I am most definitely blind," he told her. "But only physically blind. And I already told you, I'm just out for a stroll. I didn't even plan on encountering anyone way out here."

Rhindeer

Without another word, Sadb grabbed up a small stone and chucked it at the man's head, deciding to test just how blind he was!

Wicked Basket

Gen's hand shot up and snatched the rock out of the air before it hit him.

"My eyes don't work," Gen specified. "But I can still see through other means."

Gen tossed the rock aside and removed his blindfold to reveal the two useless, milky-white orbs that were his eyes.

"I can see using the air around me. It has its advantages when compared to normal sight. For example, I know that you are hiding right there."

Gen pointed to the exact spot where Sadb was and then put his blindfold back on.

"Any more questions?"

Rhindeer

"Bullshit," Sadb said, even though his eyes basically confirmed it. He was blind. There was really no way to fake that, was there? And yet, it sounded like a likely story that he could see using different means! He had to be faking it!

Somehow!

"Like hell you're--"

Why not invite him inside? the voice said, whispering against Sadb's ear. Let the thorns have him.

Sadb stiffened. So the fae was still watching, still near. Of course she was. She never went far. Still, Sadb balked; she couldn't do that. Even if he was dangerous to her, she couldn't invite him inside. To do that would spell his death, surely.

I want him, the fae said, voice firm as she sensed Sadb's hesitation. I'll have him, or I'll take from you. Surely you know which decision is the wisest here. If he means to harm you, he certainly deserves it.

Sadb went quiet for a moment, eyes going distant as she listened to a voice only she could hear, and then, finally, she refocused on the man.

"You really know nothing about me?"

Wicked Basket

"I do not," Gen confirmed. "You definitely sound like you could use a friend though. Maybe even just someone to talk to. I have no prior commitments to keep. We could stay at this distance if you like. It's not like I can't already see you."

Rhindeer

Sadb chewed her bottom lip. He had her at a stalemate. He clearly had no plans to leave, and she certainly wouldn't do to him. And as for inviting him to her shelter?

She grimaced. She couldn't do that in good conscience, even if he did intend her harm. And she certainly couldn't consider doing that until she was one-hundred percent certain of his intent, no matter what her fae threatened.

Massaging her temples, she let out a sigh. "You can start by telling me about yourself, I suppose."

Wicked Basket

"Well, let's see," Gen said. "I'm blind, but you already know that. I'm a wandering swordsman. I travel around and take part in tournaments and such. I don't have a home because of all my wandering and I'm a powerful air elementalist. That's just a brief summary."

Rhindeer

That took Sadb off guard. She blinked, eyebrows raised. "Wait...you're a mage?"

Wicked Basket

"Of course," Gen replied matter-of-factly. "I told that I could still see through other means. Those means just so happen to be magical. Would you like to know how?"