Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Every rose has its thorns. [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 02, 2015, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

"Yes," Sadb said, even as her mind reeled. That...changed matters a bit.

No one who had hunted her had been a mage. And no Connlaothian in their right mind would admit to using magic.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

"It's quite simple really," Gen told her. "I can see objects by the void they create in the air around them. There are certain things I still can't see, such as reflections and color, but it's better than not seeing at all."

A friendly smile appeared over Gen's face.

"Now it's your turn. Tell me about yourself."

Rhindeer

Though Sadb accepted the explanation, she recoiled at the idea of giving out information about herself. Information given was information that could be used, and the less people knew about her, the better. Besides, it was the mystery that made people cautious. When they viewed her as an evil witch of mysterious power, and not as a scared young woman that was mortal like the rest of them, it made them tread more carefully. It probably stopped some adventurers from even making the full journey.

She lifted her chin. "I'm a witch," she said at last. "Few make it far enough to see my face, and you're lucky you can't see it. I've seen grown men piss themselves at the sight." Thank God he was blind. "I feed on the blood of men."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gen released a good-natured chuckle at her response.

"I don't believe that," he said. "And I actually can see your face. You're a lovely young woman. I don't believe that you're a monster."

Rhindeer

Once again, Sadb recoiled, this time in surprise. Color flooded her face--she'd never exactly been complimented by the people that came to hunt her--and with it also came anger. Not really at him, just a defensive sort of anger, since she didn't know how else to handle such a comment!

"Looks can be deceiving!" she said. "This could just be a guise. Even if it's not, pretty people can still do terrible things."

Wicked Basket

Gen merely chuckled again.

"I don't get any impression of a terrible person off of you," Gen replied. "But if you're really having such trouble, I suppose I could let you in on a secret that very, very few know. I don't think you would tell anyone about it all the way out here."

Rhindeer

Sadb huffed a little at that, but said nothing to the contrary. Instead, she said, "What secret?"

Because damn her if she wasn't curious.

Wicked Basket

"This one," Gen said drawing his sword. "My blade is very unique. It acts just like a mirror, but instead of seeing your physical appearance it shows you for who you really are on the inside. It has no biased or outside influence. If you ever wanted to know the truth about who you really are as a person, then this is your answer. Would you like to look?"

Rhindeer

When he offered her the chance to look, Sadb instantly recoiled. "That sounds like a very clever way to get me to stretch my neck out before your blade."

Wicked Basket

"I knew you would say that," Gen replied.

He then threw is sword so it stuck into the ground at the edge of the treeline.

"If you want to look, the sword is there. You don't have to get anywhere near me."

Of course if she tried to steal the sword then he would have no choice but to go after her, but he was hoping that she wouldn't. She didn't seem interested in owning a sword anyway, so he figured it was safe.

Rhindeer

Sadb winced without meaning to when he threw the sword, but instead it landed a safe distance away from him, and a nearer distance to her. Blinking in surprise, she looked at him, her eyes narrowing.

Maybe...maybe he wasn't what she thought he was?

He was working awfully hard to gain her trust for someone who wanted to just kill her.

With a sigh, she rubbed at her face. "Why are you doing this? Why...why do you care?"

Wicked Basket

"Because it doesn't seem like anyone else ever has," Gen told her. "Because everyone deserves to be cared for. It was a principle instilled in me by my dear mother. My father left my mother and I after I had been born. I was a disgrace to him because of my blindness. I could never be the next legendary swordsman of the Kaziru line due to my blindness. My mother, however, took care of me. She helped me master my magical abilities and taught me how to handle a blade. She even went so far as to sell her body in order to provide for me."

Gen paused for a moment to let his story sink in.

"My mother cared for me when no one else would despite being dubbed as a useless disgrace. I am now one of the finest swordsman to tread this earth, because she never gave up on me and saw my potential. In memory of my loving mother, I wish to show you that there is at least one person out there who cares and has faith in you...... Me."

Rhindeer

Sink in, it did. And when it did, it left Sadb speechless.

She opened her mouth, then closed it several times, because the words wouldn't come even though she tried. Looking away from him, she played with the end of one braid, worrying at the damaged edges and running it through her fingers to keep her hands busy as her mind raced--along with her heart. Deep inside, she wanted it to be true, and she hadn't realized how painfully lonely and frightfully afraid to actually was until he struck right to the heart of the matter. She'd been alone for several years, struggling to survive and doing terrible things to survive, unspeakable things.

She was sure even if this man was genuine, he'd balk when he learned what a monster she truly was.

He'd struck at a weakness of hers, her desperate hope for help, for salvation, for just someone to talk to--and, she realized, that was dangerous. Dangerous for everyone. There would be no happy ending to his good intentions.

"I..."

Oh! So you finally found someone for me! I won't have to eat your heart after all, a voice whispered in her ear then, and Sadb shuddered.

"Go away," she said out loud, speaking aloud to the fae--but hoping desperately that he would hear and listen, that he would think the words were for him. Because they were.

How rude! You had better hope he doesn't leave, the fae said, and Sadb felt her lean against her shoulder, glamoured to invisibility but very much a physical presence. I want him. I want his blood. You'll give him to me, won't you?

Sadb went silent, and the fae brushed her cheek.

I'll give you three days, the fae said. The traditional number, and the days until the full moon. And if I can't have him, dear heart, I'll just have to take you. And then she was gone, leaving Sadb chilled as though from a ghost.

Sadb rubbed her forehead. "You really don't know what you're doing," she mumbled. "But...okay."

Wicked Basket

"I probably don't," Gen replied. "But that's never stopped me before."

Gen got to his feet and held out his hand.

"If you want my help, you'll have to trust me. I will have to trust you as well. I would greatly appreciate if you would take up my sword and return it to me."

This was definitely a test, indeed. It was a test for her, because she had to approach him. It was a test for him, because she would be approaching him with his sword. This ensured that they were both a threat to each other, and thus on even grounds.

Rhindeer

Sadb's heart felt like a galloping horse, her palms clammy as she clenched her hands into fists.

Idiot, she thought, trying to be angry at him so she didn't feel so damned guilty. You're going to have to die, now. I tried to save you. It's not my fault you didn't listen.

It didn't help. And it didn't make her feel any less nervous, less afraid, when he asked her to bring him her sword. He could have gotten it himself, easily, so the test was obvious. A test of trust, but still not a very fair one, Sadb didn't think. He'd called himself one of the greatest swordsmen in the world, so what chance would she have if he decided to wrench the sword from her grasp? And even if she did try to use it on him, she doubted she'd be able to land a blow. She had never handled a sword before, and she didn't know how to fight.

She had her thorns, though. She knew how to use those.

With a deep breath, she went to his sword, tugged it free of the earth, and walked stiffly toward him, her heart beating even faster.

When she stood before him and offered it out to him, the blade resting harmlessly on her palms, it was the closest she'd been to another person in a long time.

I should tell him to leave. I should warn him. No, if I don't do this, she'll kill me. He brought this on himself. It's his fault for meddling.

But she said none of that. Instead she cleared her throat and said, "Here."

And then winced at how small her voice sounded.

Wicked Basket

"Thank you."

Instead of taking the sword by the hilt, he put his hands under it and lifted it by the blade before returning it to it's sheath.

"Now then," he began. "I know a nice place that we could talk. It has a great view. At least, I was told it did by people who actually have working eyes. Come, I'll show you."

Gen started walking with the intention Sadb to follow her.

"Perhaps you can confirm for me how beautiful the view really is."

Rhindeer

Nervously, Sadb shot a look back to the mess of thorns that was her sanctuary, her place of safety and security, and then back to where the man was walking. Oh, she ventured out further when she was alone, but to go with someone elsewhere, away from all that? That had her heart beating even faster. But if he wanted to kill her, surely he'd had his chance when she'd given him his sword? One quick swing, one fast thrust, was all it would have taken.

Swallowing past the lump in her throat, she commanded her limbs to move, and walked after him, trailing him by several paces. Her entire body felt tight and shaky with nerves, but still she followed, arms folded defensively over her chest.

"Is...is it far?"

Wicked Basket

"That's a matter of perspective," Gen told her. "What's far for you might not be far for me. The whole world is within my walking distance, but I suppose it is a considerable distance from here regardless."

Gen was silent for a little bit before speaking again.

"So what exactly are you doing out in the woods anyway? Are you hiding from someone? Are you lost? Do you live out here?"

Rhindeer

A considerable distance? Sadb's paranoia screamed at her, warning her that maybe he wasn''t sent to kill her, but to deliver her to the Mordecai--a fate that could be even worse than death. But still she followed even as she jolted at every sound and kept her ears and eyes alert.

She jumped again whenhe spoke after a moment's silence and looked at him with wide eyes.

"Yes," she said automatically, before realizing he'd asked four questions. "Ah, yes. To all of that. Except the one about being lost. I know where I am."

Wicked Basket

"Would you care to explain why all of that is," he asked kindly.