Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Every rose has its thorns. [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 02, 2015, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

By the time they got up that cliff, Sadb's throat was raw from screaming and no doubt Gen's ears were ringing, as she'd been howling right into one of them. She'd clutched him in a death grip the entire way up, on the verge of strangling him, and when he set her down she stumbled and fell to her knees, for her legs were shaking too badly to support her.

If Gen could see like other people could, he'd see a pretty rare sight. Sadb, usually so tightly controlled and bitter, always projecting her "bitter ice queen of a witch" act, looked completely and utterly frazzled at that moment, wide-eyed with shock and curling her fingers into the grass as she tried to get over that...experience.

She coughed and rubbed at her throat. She was so used to speaking low and quiet, if she talked at all (and alone as she was, she rarely needed to), and she didn't think she'd screamed since she was young, so that did a number on her voice!

"Oh...my...God..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gen couldn't help but laugh at the poor frazzled girl.

"I suppose I should have warned you first," Gen said.

He walked to the edge of the cliff.

"So what do you think? Is it really as good as they say it is?"

The view Gen had been talking about was the sun setting behind the trees in the far distance.

"What does it look like?"

Rhindeer

"Uh..." Sadb took a few more deep, steadying breaths before she rose, shakily, to her feet and brushed her hands off onto her knees. "Yeah. Warning would be nice."

When she felt she could stand without swaying, she lifted her eyes and looked out over the cliff--and saw the view properly for the first time. With a small gasp, she stepped closer to the edge, ever cautious, and stared out over the distance as the sun began to sink beyond the horizon, painting the sky like watercolors.

It had been a long, long time since she'd seen a sight like this. It had been a long time since she'd torn herself away from her own misery long enough to appreciate a sight like this.

"...It's beautiful," she said quietly. "It's...the sky is full of colors, reds and oranges and violets, intense and bright. The sun's setting behind the trees, and it's so...just..." She had never been much of a poet, so she found herself struggling for the words to encapsulate what she saw. "Pretty..."
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

"If I were able to choose just one more thing to be able to see, it would be color," Gen told her. "Because of all the things I've heard about, colors sound the most beautiful to be able to see. I'd rather see a rainbow than be able to write my own name."

Rhindeer

Sadb turned then, giving him a curious look. "You were born blind?"

Wicked Basket

"I was," he replied. "That's why my father left my mother and I. In his eyes I was a disgrace, because he believed that I would never become a great swordsman like him and carry on his legacy due to my blindness."

Rhindeer

"Hmph. What an idiot," Sadb said, and looked back out over the horizon as the sky grew steadily darker.

Wicked Basket

Gen failed to suppress the chuckle that escaped his lips.

"Yes, I suppose he was rather silly for leaving seeing what I am now."

Gen stayed silent for a moment before continuing once more.

"So, if a blind man can become a swordsman, what's stopping a witch from becoming something more?"

Rhindeer

"Circumstances beyond her control," Sadb answered simply, hesitant to divulge. She never knew when the fae might be listening, after all, though she could generally feel her presence--and right now, she felt a relieving absence.

As soon as she said the words, she winced, because she realized, er...blindness was also sort of a circumstance beyond one's control, and he'd made do. Looking his way, she gave a resigned shrug. "I'm...not my own master. Not exactly. It's...it's complicated."

Wicked Basket

"You are always your own master," Gen replied. "Your life is yours. What you do with it is up to you. But, sometimes, you have to fight for it. You have to fight for the right to make your life your own. Nobody can ever own you unless you let them."

Rhindeer

Sadb looked at Gen then, scowling. "Would you tell that to a slave?"

Wicked Basket

"I don't normally promote violence," Gen replied. "But it does indeed ring true for every slave."

Rhindeer

"Hmph," Sadb said, crossing her arms. "And what good is fighting for your life if fighting is what gets you killed?"