Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What's yours is mine! [Treefolk!]

Started by Rhindeer, April 22, 2015, 10:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Naovi could smell magic like she could smell meat cooking on a spit.

All magic had a particular scent, some good, some bad, some neither. It wasn't really a scent you could smell, but it was the best way Naovi could translate the sensation. In a big city like Ketra, especially in the busy marketplace, the smell was everywhere--and not much of it interested her, really. She was a difficult creature to impress in that way, for she viewed her own magic as so much better than these humans' silly parlor tricks.

That was why the tall man was so intriguing.

She had felt his magic long before she saw him, something mighty and deep and far-reaching, grounded like the roots of an ancient tree. It was old, old magic she smelled, something she couldn't place or name as "good" or "bad"--it simply was, and it was intriguing. And it was drawing closer. Her tails bristled beneath her dress as she shivered, and she had to remind herself to be careful not to move them; she drew enough attention with her speckled appearance, and three fox tails would be pretty telling!

Deciding to wait and let it--whatever it was--come to her, she paused by a man selling fresh apple pastries. "How much for one of those?" she asked, and when he gave her the price, she drew several coins from a purse tied onto her sash and handed them over.

Of course, the poor man wouldn't realize until a few minutes later that the coins were only pebbles she'd picked up off the road.

She didn't plan to be near when the illusion faded.

Vanishing back into the thick of the crowd and pretending to be interested in some glass wares, she ate her pastry as she waited and watched, taking large bites that were more befitting of a ravenously hungry animal than a lady. She had just finished it off and was licking the crumbs from her fingers when the sensation grew strongest--right as a tall man stepped into view.

And the moment she laid eyes on him, she knew it was him.

Or maybe him was the incorrect word, because her eyes dropped from his face to the shiny amulet he wore, an amulet that shone like the stars at night and screamed of magic. Naovi knew a little something about enchanted necklaces, and she touched her pearl without thinking, a habitual gesture. Even if the amulet wasn't the source of that power, she wanted it, though. It was beautiful; she had never seen anything like it, and she knew it would look far better around her neck than an unpleasant, broody looking human like that! And if it was magical (for it was hard to tell if the source was the man or the necklace while they were both connected), then all the better!

Either way, that amulet was hers.

So she bade her time and waited for him to pass her by.

And the instant his back was to her, she pounced like a fox on a vole, hopping up and snatching the necklace by the back of it and yanking so the chain snapped clean off his neck.

"I'll be taking that, now!"

She wasted no time after that, pivoting on her heel and diving back into the crowd--

And running for all she was worth.

Maybe she hadn't wanted to draw attention before, but that ship had definitely sailed! Now it was time to have a little good ol' fashioned fun.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

TreeFolk

The marketplace was bustling, though Kade moved through the crowds with ease as they parted around his tall frame. It was unclear whether they moved for him due to his intimidating stature, or because of the naturally dark, brooding stare his face naturally fell into. Golden eyes scanned the crowds, if only to gauge the reactions around him. He slipped in and out of the mind of a man, already drunk for the day and vulnerable to Kade's prying mind, retrieving a snippet of useful information. Veins of luminescent blue flashed in his eyes as he pulled the tendril out and touched the amulet at his throat, allowing it to absorb the small secret.

Kade was always fascinated by the threads connecting people to one another, and just how interconnected all minds tended to be. The thread of secret from the drunkard had eagerly yielded information connecting through to the goings-on of a visiting nobleman. Information which could easily come of use to him down the road, although he wasn't currently working a job.

The glow from his amulet flickered only briefly, absorbing the secret and storing it and its power. Kade had created the amulet to better access and harvest his djinn bloodline, allowing him to grow in power. His powers without the amulet were stronger than they should be for a man of only quarter-djinn blood. His powers with the amulet neared the powers of a minor full-blooded djinn. It gave him control and power over the world, and allowed him to walk where others could not. It allowed him to escape his darker past, while still embracing his darkness. The amulet was a source of the chaotic, a delicate balance between both light and darkness. Running a finger absentmindedly down the amulet, he withdrew it and continued into the crowd towards the herb cart.

He was currently working on a potion that would allow him to go undetected among his enemies. Although he was adept at slipping silently into places, it would make it much easier if his enemies could not see him at all. Reaching the cart, he began to inspect the wares, focusing completely on the task at hand, not paying attention to the chatter around him...

It was enough to give the tiny woman the opportunity to leap at his back, yanking the leather throng his amulet hung on hard enough to make him have to swing around to avoid being briefly choked. Reaching a hand up to his neck and bent over, he felt a rage swell up in his chest at the receding back of the small woman.

Eyes narrowing and burning blue, Kade took off after the woman. But to his frustration, his effect on the crowd was the exact opposite of hers. As people scattered to get out of his way they swallowed her into the crowd, letting her pass between them like a little shadow of a thing. It didn't take her long to lose him, but with a sinking feeling he knew it wouldn't take long for him to find her again. Separated from him, the barriers of the amulet would weaken. Slowly, quickly, or all at once, he didn't know, because nobody had ever dared to steal it from him before. Most were fearful of djinn magic, and the madness that came with it.

It wasn't long before there was a soundless explosion, a wave of power only clearly seen by him, though felt by others. His eyes looked skywards above the buildings of the city, watching as a stream of dark forms interspersed with small tendrils of light burst exploded up into the sky like a dark cloud. As he ran towards its source he began to spot the dark forms taking shapes, knew that the dark secrets he had kept were manifesting themselves into demons and dark spirits.

Reaching the source, he found the woman knocked unconscious, the amulet clutched tightly in her fist. Striding quickly towards her, he knelt and pried her fingers open, grabbing the amulet. The repurcussions of the amulet's release brought him to his knees, a terrible unearthly scream issuing from his throat, all of the veins in his body burning a bright, vicious icy blue, bright enough to block out anything but the light around him. The demonic yell extended as he pulled back what he could of the escaped demons, his free arm holding down the forearm of the arm which held the amulet. Sweat beaded on his face, the pupils of his eyes receding until all that was left of his eyes was the same bright blue.

He took all that he could handle before cutting the flow off, shaking fingers tying the amulet back around his neck. Leaning forward on the palms of his hands, chest heaving, he retched up what was left of his breakfast, and then dry heaved. The light of his veins dimmed, pulsing blue as he struggled to win control over his djinn blood... In that moment he fully understood what it would mean if he lost control and became full-djinn. He would be consumed by it, his partially human body would cave beneath the stronger blood of the djinn and he would become unstoppable. His power would be a terrible thing, and in that moment he knew he had the potential to wipe out an entire population of people.

His throat elicited short, panicked, pained groans which were half demonic, half human sounding. It felt like eons before the blue light flickered out and his vision began to return to him, and when it finally did, he was faced with the terrifying consequences of the actions of one foolish girl. Those demons had to be recaptured, or they could wreak havoc on a level even he could not fathom. And as djinn magic often worked, the one to release it had to be the one to recapture it, once the flow was cut off. When the demons had still been connected to the amulet and his power he had been able to retrieve them, but the countless demons and spirits which he had not been strong enough to pull back in would need to be retrieved by the one who had released them.

He looked down at the unconscious girl. He could not risk her abandoning the task that needed to be done. Closing his eyes, he dove into her unconscious mind, walking through the mess of emotions, thoughts, intentions, and memories until he found the secret he needed. The source of her power. Opening his eyes, he reached forward and tore the pearl from her neck in a similar fashion to how she had torn his own amulet from his neck. He wanted to kill her in that moment for what she had done, but knew he could not.

And so he waited for her to return to consciousness, the flickering of his veins continuing like waves receding from a beach for low tide, hand gripping tightly to the pearl.

Rhindeer

The crowd that swallowed Naovi was partially real, and a great deal illusion. Some of the people Kade passed by weren't people at all, but air, and the illusion collapsed as soon as he brushed by them. But real or fake, the crowd served its purpose as Naovi ducked under peoples' arms and between their bodies, grinning triumphantly as she went.

For the amulet had, indeed, been the source of that magic she felt, and now it was hers. What would she do with it? Oh, she had no idea. That wasn't really the point. Naovi simply liked collecting pretty things, and she liked to study magic for fun. That broody human didn't need that amulet as much as she did!

And when one lived as long as her kind did, one needed a hobby!

It wasn't long before she broke from the crowd and took off into the alleys, weaving through them with no particular destination in mind--except to be a safe enough distance away to inspect her prize in peace. She avoided a few alleys that contained sleeping beggars, and stopped only when she found an empty one. It smelled and there was a lot of rubbish about and too many flies, but it would do for the moment. She wanted to get a good look and see if this trinket were worth more than pretty looks!

Which, of course, turned out to be a nearly fatal mistake.

After a moment's examination, she discovered that it looked like it could open, so she pried it apart and--

And then she was waking up slowly, her head pounding and spinning. What? Why was she sprawled out on the ground? What had...?

That was when, as her vision focused, she caught sight of the tall man standing over her. She blinked slowly, still obviously disoriented, and narrowed her eyes.

"...What the...?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

TreeFolk

The veins of the hand still clutching the amulet still glowed an icy blue, though the rest of his veins and his eyes had returned to normal. His voice was low and rumbling, still resonating deeper with the aftershocks of reining the power back in. "You have done a very foolish thing. A very dangerous thing."

His body felt drained and electric, with the waves of his magic thrumming within his body. If he had been full djinn, such a feat would not have been surprising nor difficult, but as he was not, the consequences of his actions could be felt. His other hand opened and he looked at the pearl, showing it to her... But he wasn't able to continue talking just yet, as one of the spirits released barreled towards them.

Eyes flashing blue, he extended his hand with the amulet and sucked the spirit in just as it lunged towards the girl. The amulet let out a low-pitched whine, and Kade knelt beside the girl, gripping the pearl tightly in his other hand so she could not grab it. In an urgent, low voice, he spoke to her, "You have released chaos onto this world through your actions, a chaos that even I cannot know of. Only the djinn have released their powers before, and so they were able to rein it back in. Yet you have released my magic," Not his powers, though, "and now you are the only one who can seal it back into the amulet, where it belongs."

He had only ever released a handful of the spirit shades at a time before... He could not imagine what unleashing scores of them as she had done would do to the world. Not to mention that since she had been the one to release them, she had not been able to set them to a purpose. When he released them, he gave them a purpose, and said purpose was able to control them to an extent. Shades without a purpose... He didn't want to think of what they could do... Or undo.

He continued, "You saw that I have the source of your power. I will continue to hold it until you have helped me to return the world to right." He stared straight into her eyes, his own serious and veined with the glowing blue, "Now, you will seal this one I have recaptured into the amulet. All you need do is touch the amulet."

Rhindeer

The instant Naovi saw that pearl, her eyes went wide with horror and anger. "My pearl!" she gasped, jumping to her feet. "You give that back right now! You have no business with that! It's mine! Give it back right this inst--!"

She was cut off short, because that was when the spirit attacked--and the tall man snatched it up in his amulet even as she ducked back down to the ground out of reflex. Oh gods! Naovi could have cried if she wasn't so enraged! And panicked! She'd lost the amulet and her pearl! She didn't give a care about the ghosts or the chaos blah blah blah that she'd released (even if she didn't fancy being attacked by spirits!). That wasn't her problem! Him having her pearl was definitely her problem, though! A big one!

As soon as he was done talking, she glared up at him. "I won't do it," she said stubbornly, sticking out her chin. "I won't touch nothing until you give me back my pearl! Give it back now! I don't care about your dumb spirits or chaos or whatever! If you didn't want it released, you shouldn't have been wearing it!"

But beneath all her anger was sheer terror, evident in her eyes. Because while he held her pearl, she was quite literally at his mercy.

She was just really hoping she could bluff her way into getting it back before he realized that!

TreeFolk

Kade's expression darkened, "As you had no business with the amulet. Actions have consequences."

He grabbed a pouch at his belt, reaching into it, first his hand, and then his entire arm disappearing into the small pouch. He pulled out a small box, opened it, placed the pearl in, before locking it with a dab of magic. Dropping the box back into the bag, he secured it back at his waist.

Reaching out, he grabbed her small wrist forcefully, seething, "You and I both know that you will die without that pearl. Your death, at this point, is not something I care about. The deaths of countless others due to your actions, THAT I care about." At this point he wished he didn't need her alive to complete the task. Wished he could cut her hand from her body and be on his way. "Now. Touch. The. Amulet."

Rhindeer

Nooooooooo!

Naovi watched in abject horror as the human stuck the box containing her pearl into his pouch (his pouch which must be magical, considering he could fit his whole arm into a thing that would have been impossible to otherwise!). Before she could make a futile grab for it, he grabbed her wrist, and she winced at his roughness and bared her flat human teeth at him out of reflex.

"Ow! Don't be so rough, you brute!" she whined, squirming, but without her pearl she was well and truly helpless, with all the strength of a mortal woman. Well, a mortal woman who hadn't done a lick of strength training in her life, that is. Naovi was a mage, not a brawler! But even while she tried to wriggle free, she heard what he was saying, and she wanted to not touch that damned thing out of sheer stubborn rebellion now. There was little she hated more than being told what to do, even if the thing that needed doing was something she was going to do anyway--or that needed to be done.

But he knew her secret. Somehow, he knew it, and that chilled her enough that she finally stopped struggling, and instead scowled at him.

"FINE," she spat. "Just...just give me back my pearl first! I'll touch the damned thing if you give it back, but not a moment before!"

She paused, then added through grit teeth, "Please."

TreeFolk

Kade released her arm, stood up straight, staring down at her. "I don't think you understand the basics of trust. I have no reason to trust you. My only bargaining chip is your pearl. Giving it back to you would remove any promise of your cooperation."

He began to walk away, stopping at the mouth of the alley. He looked over his shoulder. "Unless you want to make a promise." He pulled up the second bargaining chip he'd received from her mind. "And from what I know, you can't back out of promises." Looking away again, he scanned the skies, his djinn blood humming still. He shoved the magic pouch into a pocket on the inside of his pants, just for extra caution.

The muscles of his forearm contracted and relaxed, fist clenched tightly over the amulet. He was struggling to contain the magic, but was in a moment of making a deal, knowing that if he showed this weakness it might make it harder to hold her accountable. He stepped out of the alley and began slowly walking away, hoping that he was reading the situation right. Hoping that she really did need the pearl, that she would indeed make that binding promise, and that he could right this wrong he had done unto the world.

Rhindeer

Naovi bristled, her tails twitching beneath her skirt and fluffing up like an upset cat. A promise?! How did he know that?! How did he know any of this?!

With an irritated growl, she turned her face away and stuck her nose in the air. However he was doing that, it wasn't fair! And she was not about to help him until he gave her back her pearl! She meant it!

...And then he was leaving.

As much as she was trying to stay calm and cool about this, as much as she was trying to call his bluff, well, it seemed it was only her bluff that was being called and Naovi had never been a patient soul. She stood her ground until he exited the alley, trying to appear nonchalant about the loss of her pearl. Surely he couldn't actually leave. He'd said himself that he needed her! He wouldn't go far. He'd cave and come back and give her back her pearl, right? Since this whole business with the amulet seemed pretty important to him and only she could help. He wouldn't actually just...leave.

Right?

The moment he was out of her sight with no signs of returning, the panic struck.

What if he left? For real?

"Wait!" Naovi yelped, and tore off after him. He hadn't gone far, thank the gods, and she burst out of the alley and grabbed him by the arm in a tight, clinging grip as though anticipating that he'd try to shake her off. "Don't leave! I, uh, alright! Alright! Let's not be hasty about this, now. Why don't we make a deal. I promise that if you give my pearl back, I'll touch your dumb amulet. And that's a promise! Swear on my mother's soul! Now give it back already! Where did you even put it? If you harmed it, I swear you'll regret it!"

Hopefully he'd be too dumb to catch how she'd phrased her promise.

TreeFolk

Kade was not a stupid man.

He's caught her, now it was just a matter of tying her down to a promise that would last. Both of them knew that she'd exposed how really at his mercy she was, and so now the terms of their deal were in his favor. He addressed her, his gaze not amused, "Listen, and listen closely. Your promise to me is that you will accompany me on the collection of all that was released from the amulet, and that you will agree to bind all that was released back into the amulet. Once the amulet has returned to the state it was in before you stole it, you may go on your way. No sooner." His voice dropped, seriously. "Now repeat the promise."

Rhindeer

Gods be damned!

Naovi let go of his arm because she needed her own arms back--so she could fold them over her chest and do her best pouty/broody face. He wasn't an idiot. He knew exactly how to play this game, right down to the nitty gritty specifics. Ugh! She dug the toe of her shoe into the ground, huffing.

She so didn't want to do this. But he really did have her by the balls, here, and she could see no real way of getting out of this. She had a feeling he'd make her repeat that promise as many times as it took her to get it verbatim. And she needed that pearl. Needed it like life itself, quite literally.

Naovi tilted her head back dramatically and sighed loudly to the sky. "Fiiiiiiine!" she said, and scowled at him. "I'll accompany you on the bloody collection of all that was released from the amulet. I'll bind everything that was released from the amulet back into it. Once it's in the state it was in before I stole it, I can go, but no sooner. Now give me back my pearl!"

She thrust her hand out at him, fingers wiggling impatiently as she pointedly avoided looking at him.

TreeFolk

The promise was passable. Sufficient. With her hand extended, he first dropped the amulet into her palm and closed her hand around it. Holding her hand closed, he began reaching into the pouch for the pearl, so she could see he was making good on his end of the deal.

There was a small, brief flash from between her closed fingers, and he was pulling the amulet back. He quickly replaced it with the pearl, before tying the amulet around his neck. "There. Now that we've got that settled, we should start on clearing out this town first."

He closed his eyes, turning eastward, and then setting off walking in that direction. He didn't worry about her not following. She was essentially bound to right the wrong she'd done, through her promise.

Eventually he led them to the steps of a small shrine... There was screaming inside, barely noticeable from the road full of people. Nobody turned to look. His face grim, he took to the stairs, taking two at a time and tearing the door open inside. The door open, he had to dodge out of the way of a blast of... Of hair. Inside a huddle of priests stood together, staring into the corner of the shrine where another priest stood, barely recognizable. The monstrous looking priest was completely covered in hair, beginning to swallow him whole, and that hair was shooting in all directions.

Another strand lashed out at him, cutting sharply across his cheek as he just managed to dodge it. This spirit shade was already so strong! Clearing his scimitar, he hacked into the hair, but some made it past him to wrap around Naovi's wrist. Where had the damned thing attached to the priest? He'd have to dig it out to get it back into the amulet.

Rhindeer

...What in all the hells?!

HAIR?

You have got to be kidding me.

As if it wasn't already bad enough, promising to help this guy and being forced to tag along, because Naovi's promises were binding, shit just had to go and get weird. Weirder. For when she finally entered the temple, several paces behind him (for unlike him, who took several steps at a time in his rush, she took them a slow step at a time), she actually gagged at the sight of that writhing hair monster, tentacles of it flailing about.

Was this what she'd just bound herself to dealing with?!

And while she stared in abject disgust, one hand covering her mouth in horror as she spun on her heel and prepared to just wait outside (she'd agreed to accompany him, not fight, and she didn't give a shit about these people!), she jerked to a stop when grabbed her wrist tightly.

Something coarse and hairy.

Naovi shrieked and it tightened, cutting into her wrist, and more hair shot out to wrap around her leg and waist--and drag her toward the hulking mass. "AH! Grossgrossgross!" she yelped, in near hysterics because it was so nasty (like she was sure this hair had never been washed!), but the more she flailed, the tighter it grew, until with a cry that was equal parts disgust and fear, she quickly rubbed her tails together as they flicked free of her dress.

They sparked, smoke rising, and the pearl at her throat took on a white glow. "Stupid hair! LET. GO!"

She thrust her free hand into the mess attached to her wrist and it burst into flame, smoking and charring and crumbling into a black ash at her feet.

...And that smelled terrible and soon had her gagging anew as the acrid scent filled the air.

TreeFolk

Kade's jaw tightened in determination as he cut his way through the attacking hair towards Naovi. He was able to reach her before another strand was able to snatch at her, and he grabbed her arm to haul her back to her feet and out of the way. The smell her fire magic had made was unpleasant, but he was far too determined to be bothered by it.

Moving in measured steps, he ducked and dodged the hair as he approached the hair beast, cutting through the hair as it darted out towards him. As he neared he could hear the strangled cries emitting from the center of the mass of hair. The priest who had been possessed was still conscious! Well, that complicated matters. He couldn't simply kill the man outright in his attempts to retrieve the shade. He used his own magic to work with his scimitar, freezing portions of the hair temporarily.

When he was within two yards of the creature, he could no longer avoid the hair. He felt it wrap around his waist and legs, pulling him towards the beast. A strangled yell escaped his throat at his effort to slow his progress towards the beast, and he was forced to drop his scimitar. That was better, he thought quickly. He didn't want to kill the priest beneath.

Kade's body was pulled flush up against the body of the possessed priest, and as he was beginning to be swallowed he was able to wrap his hands around the source of the shade. It was a small tangle of hair at the center of the beast.

As soon as his hands gripped around it the hair released the priest, who fell to the ground unconscious. While the hair was at first only the small ball of tangle, it was beginning to creep up his hand and arm, enclosing them. If he wasn't quick, the thing would possess him, too, and the feeling was not pleasant. The hair was piercing through his skin like needles, weaving up into the skin of his arm. Face tight in pain, Kade strode towards Naovi, and held the amulet out to her in his free hand. "Touch. it."

Rhindeer

Pulled to freedom by Kade, Naovi stayed well the hell away from the flailing reaches of the hair, and watched with rapt attention--because this battle was important. It was important because she needed to watch so she didn't get snatched again, and important because if Kade failed here, if he died, she would be freed from her contractual obligation!

They were such selfish thoughts, but she didn't care--and she didn't make the connection that if he failed, the other humans in this room would die pointlessly. Her thoughts could be notoriously short-sighted, and though she wished no ill on those people as they had done nothing to her, Kade had definitely incurred her ire! And he'd dragged her into this dangerous situation, the cad! He deserved whatever ill came his way!

And so once she was free, she didn't bother to help him. She folded her arms and scowled as she watched, the flames dying down though the horrible smoke and smell of burnt hair still wafted through the room.

What an idiot, she thought as the hair engulfed him. Going up against a powerful entity like that. What did he think was going to happen? He was going to get himself killed--predictably!--and the priest with him, and all for a stupid dangerous necklace he shouldn't have had in the first place--whoa, what?

The hair suddenly released the other captive, but it still had Kade snared, and Naovi watched with wide eyes as he strode toward her despite the hair still clinging to him and digging under his skin. She blinked at him, taken aback and thinking perhaps she had underestimated his strength, and then took a step back out of reflex when he thrust out his hand. She did not want to get within snagging distance of that icky demon hair shit! But, argh!

She had promised, and she was bound, and thus she couldn't just leave or say no.

With a twisted pout at Kade because he had survived this, she let out a huffed sigh, rolled her eyes away from his, and tapped a finger to the amulet. "Hmph!"