Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Awakening [Private]

Started by Boosh_Ant, April 16, 2017, 12:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boosh_Ant

The village was quiet. Only the shuffling of the occasional peasant could be heard. There were scorch marks on every building in the village. Barrels, crates, and doors were smashed in. Rats could be constantly seen strewn around. Many of the villagers were simply sitting on the side, their eyes, empty and hopeless. The wind blew, harsh and dry to those who have suffered.

Amongst the wind was several sheets of paper. One of the sheets, was a rally, for volunteers to head into the dark forest besides the town and eradicate the brigand encampment there. In exchange, the townsfolk will give you much of their last precious resources. Beware however, for the road is ripe for ambushes and traps that will surely impede or stop any expedition.

detectiveryan

The wind felt as hopeless as the town-- as so often was the case when Ademar the Gold found himself in town.

He thought himself a wanderer, really, going from nameless village to nameless village. He wasn't wandering to seek his fortune-- he had enough of that. He wasn't wandering for love, either-- he had a wife and a child at home whom he loved very much. He wasn't wandering for fame, or for purpose, or to escape. No, Ademar simply loved to travel and help people, and was at his happiest with an adventure during his days and a home to return to when time allowed. He'd spend a month or two at home, until the wind changed and he was called away again.

Ademar was a stout fellow; an honorable dwarf, although somewhat the prodigal son of his family, but he still wore his golden ancestral armor and kept the family crest shining bright as the day it was made. The high quality of his armor was earned, however-- bestowed upon him when he returned to his family home having made his fortune and showing honor enough to pay back tenfold the debts he'd borrowed from his father. He was a paladin of high skill and sportsmanship, and had enough honor about him that he'd kept it throughout his twenty-year journey.

So he arrived at the village with his armor shining and his (quite magnificent) beard gleaming in the sun, looking for all the world like the savior of the broken, beaten, and damned. Ademar picked up the rally sheet and read it, then glanced around the village. What would his good name be if he didn't help? That was his job.

"Worry not, good people," he called to the village. "I will stop these foul brigands. But before I do, where is your leader? I would like to speak with them before I go, so I might know how to best help."

Boosh_Ant

Many of the citizens of this moot village looked amongst themselves, wondering if this dwarf could actually help. Slowly but surely, they parted.

Behind them, stood a rather average man. He wasn't old, young, or particularly wise-looking. However, his image of self-keep was terrible. The man had tattered or rugged clothes. Under his eyes were impossible amounts of bags. His posture was slouched, as if he had the entire weight of the world on his shoulders.

"You have come..to stop them? Those monsters that lurk within the forest..?" spoke the man. His voice was tired, a testament to his slowly dying will to help. He stared at the dwarf, as if he was the gods themselves.

His eyes welled up in tears, threatening to spill down his soot-riddled face. Yet amongst those hollow pupils, rested a sparkle of hope long forgotten.

"You...are a blessing to our village sir." The man whispered, his voice shaking.

The man pointed towards the dark, murky forest that laid behind the village. "Down there, is where they reside, in that wretched forest, in the heart. They are fat from their wretched hobby of pillaging, I suppose it is quite the moment to quickly annihilate their camp."

The man turned towards his villagers, telling some to prepare supplies.

"The forest is long and dark, such expedition cannot be completed in a day. Supplies are very much needed to reach the heart." The man spoke once more.

In the background, some villagers could be crying about the prospect of finally being freed from the tyranny of the brigands. It was clear they often did not receive help.

"Please sir, this infestation has been rotting away at us for far too long. They steal our food and coins, our children, our future starve. We will give you anything just so our village can become peaceful once more. Please, help us..." The man solemnly spoke, his head bowed down with much of the village following.

detectiveryan

Ademar would've helped the village even if they were all callous and cruel people-- that was his motto. Help the hurt, save the small, no matter who they were. If a farmer's family and livelihood is threatened because hobgoblins stole his cows, Ademar would be there to bring them home. If a city reeked with corruption and its poor needed help, Ademar would go straight to the top and fight the governor himself if need be. If a child cries because her cat is stuck in a tree, Ademar would climb (even if he's not the biggest fan of heights) and bring the cat safely down. Years of adventuring, seeing the foulest and rottenest of what people can be, has only strengthened his resolve to do good.

"My good man," Ademar said, smiling through his impressively-braided beard, "I care not for rewards; I only wish to never again see good people suffer. I vow to you now, upon the blade of my father's father and upon every bit of dwarven honor that lies within me, I will stop the brigands-- you have my word."

"I will go now, then, and be back as soon as the job is done," Ademar decided. "Do not despair, good people! There is good still in the world. For I am Ademar the Gold, and I have made it my life's mission to bring such things into where they belong." He nodded and saluted firmly to the mayor, then made his way, broad sword in hand and his family's shield on his back, towards the woods.

Boosh_Ant

The man smiled as many of the villagers listened to the stranger's kind words. And many more wept when they watched his voyage into the thicken weald.

The bramble of hardening bushes was a common sight in this wretched pit. The weeds stank of a horrid odor, one similarly familiar to the smell of rotting flesh. A single path laid through the forest, a path ripe with ambush, but surely the right way.