Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

can't get any worse [Rhiiii]

Started by Tally, July 02, 2007, 01:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Nothing.  No caravans going out, no upper class in need of protection, not even any of the state sponsored raids on brigands.  Not one damn thing.

Kassian cursed and punched the wall beside the board, and the room quieted for an instant as the tavern patrons turned to stare at him briefly before going back to their drinking.

He stalked out and into the warm summer night, slamming the door behind him.  Not a decent mercenary job left in the city.  He'd checked all his usual sources, and all that was left were the shittier jobs, the ones no one wanted to touch because they were too shady or paid so little as made no difference.  Worse, when he'd checked in with an acquaintance—not a friend, he had few those—he'd found the man in jail for extortion and his house boarded up.  Which left Kassian with nowhere to go for the night.

Muttering to himself, he stopped to think, leaning against the wall of a storefront with his arms crossed.  Sickly yellow light spilled out from windows on either side of the street.  And what a street it was.  Necessity had driven him to the poorer parts of the city.  The homes and shops all leaned in on the street, the people walking beneath them attired in patched clothing the color of dirt.  Thunder rolled overhead.

He must have been glaring because everyone who passed gave him a wide berth.  He sighed and rubbed at his temple.  It wasn't usual for him to get this frustrated, but then it wasn't usual Ketra didn't have anything for him.  This was a good mercenary town, but he supposed most of the caravan work had gone a couple weeks earlier, when the trains were setting off for Serendipity to take advantage of the festivals.  A quick check of his coin purse confirmed he didn't have enough for an inn room.

The sky chose that moment to crack wide open.

<I>Of course.</I>  He turned his face up into the rain and closed his eyes.  It figured.  The day couldn't possibly get any worse.

A tug on his sleeve caught his attention and he looked down to see a little girl child standing there, blinking as raindrops hit her upturned face.  She stared up at him so long he finally snapped, "What?"

"My kitty."  She didn't take her wide eyes off him as she pointed behind her to the tree.

His eyes went from her, to the tree, and back again.  Ugh.  Would it never end?  Of <I>course</I> he would have to go up there and get it.  He'd be just about the biggest ass if he didn't.  Still didn't have to be happy about it, though.

Rolling his eyes, he went to the trunk and looked up.  Yeah, there it was.  A ginger cat huddled on one of the upper branches.  He pushed wet black hair from his eyes and lifted his baldric and sword up over his head and lay them against the trunk to get the longsword out of his way.  Then up he went, finding easy purchase on the wet bark.  Lightning cracked and the shower became a deluge.  By the time he'd made it near reaching distance of the cat, he was covered in wet leaves and twigs and soaking wet from the top of his head to the soles of his feet.

<I>Hn.  </I>Now<I> it can't get any worse.</I>

Rhindeer

Kassian wasn't the only one down on his luck that night.

As soon as the rain came down, Vahni not only learned that he really wasn't as great of a house-builder as he'd reckoned, but that those tiny, miniscule gaps in the roof really did make a difference! He probably should have fixed them when he'd first noticed them, but he'd been so proud of his little shanty (though even calling it a shanty was being extremely generous) that he'd decided it was <I>perfect...for the time being. He'd fix that other stuff later. Which happened to be now, a week after he'd constructed the shelter after continuously putting it off--until, of course, he woke up to rainwater splashing down on his face.

In his groggy, abruptly awakened state he hadn't thought about using something already inside the room to temporarily patch the roof but had instead stumbled outside, grumbling, only to remember three seconds later that, hey, he had some stuff inside that he could probably use! By then it was too late. He was already soaked through to his skin, so with a series of curses he'd decided, screw it, he was already wet so why not just bloody scavenge for something now and get it over with?

After making sure his kittens were safe and snug in their box, covered with a blanket, and out of the rain's way, he'd headed out.

Maybe he could snag some dry clothes from somewhere or someone while he was at it, too. All his other clothes? Wet of course! He'd picked this day, which had started out sunny, to do the wash at a local stream outside the city and said clothes had been hanging out on the roof of his home to dry. Which never happened because it rained. If he wasn't a relatively clean thief, he may have had some clothes. But no. Even years later he still retained many of the habits his grandmama had beaten into him. Not literally. Most of the time.

Grumbling still as he walked through the rain, head bowed against the downpour while trying to stay under the shelter of the leaning buildings, Vahni decided his best bet was to scavenge for some more wood. People discarded all sorts of junk in the alleys, but he would only stick to the areas around his alley...not that it was his alone, he shared it with a few other homeless people and he had only taken up residence there recently after getting kicked out of his old home in a better part of the city. In any case, the thieves and homeless could be very, very territorial and there were some places he just wouldn't go in the day, much less at night. For a thief, he was pretty nonconfrontational--at least where it concerned his ass getting chewed up, spit out, and served to him on a platter.

Ew.

Lightning cracked then and Vahni jumped and hugged himself, shivering in the cold and bracing himself for the thunder that was sure to follow. Oh! The kittens! Thunder and lightning would probably scare them, wouldn't it? Oh no...poor things, all alone...he probably shouldn't have left them! He jumped again when the thunder roared, seriously considered giving up and racing back home, and was about ready to turn and head back and endure the rest of the night with a leaky roof and wet clothes when another flash of lightning illuminated something...shiny.

Vahni paused, brown eyes focusing in on said shiny object which was propped up against the base of a tree. And as his eyes adjusted, he began to make out its shape, the belt, the sheath, the shiny pommel...a sword! Wait. A sword just...sitting there? He quickly scanned the area, first the ground--just a little girl, standing there and looking up toward the tree. Then he scanned upwards, squinted against the rain and into the tree--aha! A guy. Climbing the tree. What the hell was a guy climbing a tree in the rain for? Didn't he know lightning liked to strike trees? Silly.

But it was only a momentary thought before his eyes were glued on that sword again. Sword. How much coin could a sword fetch? Way more than he'd ever seen in his life, he was sure. And there it was, just a little girl on the ground, the owner up a tree, just begging to be taken. No one else around. No one else that would care, that is.

It was a once in a lifetime chance, and the set-up was perfect for a smooth getaway. By the time that guy got down, he'd be off.

Hesitation gone, Vahni sauntered over toward the tree casually, still hugging himself to keep warm but also to come across as just a casual, curious onlooker. He looked over toward the girl, then followed her gaze up to the tree and blinked as though seeing that sight for the first time. It was kind of the truth, too, since he hadn't noticed the cat before. Aw...kitty. He hoped if the tree got struck, the cat made it.

"Oi! You! Tree-guy! Ya might wanna be careful. Yer gonna get fried," he called up to the cat-rescuer. By that time, he was right by the base of the tree--and the sword. "Very nice of ya to rescue th' kid's cat! Thanks fer th' sword, too!"

That was when he swooped down, grabbed the baldric, threw the strap over his shoulder, and took off running for all he was worth. Here's hoping the guy didn't know this neighborhood very well! Because Vahni knew this place like the back of his hand and he was sure that it wouldn't take much to lose him.

Here's hoping he wasn't that fast of a runner, too.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

The cat, it seemed, was an unwilling participant in this quest to remove it from the tree because the bloody thing actually <I>backed up</I> and <I>hissed</I> at him as soon as he got close enough to reach it.  It was a pitiful, ugly thing, with patches of fur missing and mange covering half its scrawny body.  He'd probably get a disease from it.

"Yeah, you'd better back up.  'Cause I'm gonna wring your neck when I get hold of you," he said to it, inching up farther and jerking his head to whip wet hair out of his eyes.  He'd always wondered if morality were cyclical, if the past would creep up on the present and call due.  Now he had his answer.

And, apparently, an audience.

Had some idiot really just <I>yelled</I> at him?  Whoever it was better be gone by the time he got down from there.  His patience had reached its limits already tonight.  Not a good bloody time to test him.  "Lightning?  I should be so lucky," he called back, reaching again for the cat, which lay its ears back flat against its head and hissed again, displaying sharp, wicked little teeth.

<I>Wait…what the hell did that guy just say?!</I>

Red eyes wide, Kas craned his neck around.  Below, the little girl pointed frantically.  "He took yer knife! Mister, he took yer knife!"  Through the rain and the lashing leaves all around him, Kas could just make out the dark smudge of movement as the kid raced down the street.  And there, on the thief's back, Kassian's sword.

His frustration died, and cold intent settled over him.  Coin was one thing.  Coin he might have let the kid get away with.  His sword, though?  He'd tear through heaven and earth to get his sword back.

He lurched for the cat, snagging it by the back of the neck none too gently.  It twisted in his hand and bit him through his glove but he hardly noticed as he half climbed, half fell down the tree.  He hit the ground running, throwing the cat into the girl's arms as he passed and sprinting recklessly through the downpour.  Rain lashed at his face.  He squinted into the darkness as he ran, searching.  Lantern light glinted off something up ahead.  His sword pommel.  Every time the thief ran past a lit window, the hilt winked back at him.  He followed at a dead run.  Eventually, he would run out of lit windows to track the thief with, but by then Kas would be upon him.  His stride was long and his footing sure on the rain-slick street.  There was no anger in him now.  Nothing but a grim focus and the weight of his dagger at his hip.

A dagger that would be getting some use tonight, it seemed.

Rhindeer

Little snitch! Not that Vahni hadn't just announced that he was taking the guy's sword, but still, the girl didn't have to raise such a big fuss over something he'd already proclaimed.

The rain made seeing difficult, but at least his footing held--surprising since his boots, like the rest of his clothes, were old, worn hand-me-downs. It would really be bad if he slipped, especially since he could hear quick footfalls behind him that told him he was being followed though he didn't dare look back to confirm it; it would slow him down, and every second counted in a chase. Vahni found it pretty strange that his persuer wasn't yelling at him or raising hell, though. Usually they yelled for him to stop or some sort of threat or obscenity, but all he heard was rain, thunder, and the thud and splash of boots on the wet ground, his and his persuer's. It was a little unnerving in a really odd way.

What was more unnerving than that, however, was that the sound seemed to be getting closer.

Shaking his jaw-length silver hair out of his eyes, he gave in and threw a quick glance over his shoulder and just about had a heart-attack. Oh hells! He was fast, gaining on him nicely even though he'd had a major head start. Damn! He had to lose him and fast.

Vahni turned to the right so suddenly that he nearly lost his footing on the slick ground, his boots so old and worn they no longer had any traction and the baldric's strap nearly sliding off his thin shoulder, but he stumbled and caught himself before bolting down the nearest alley. If speed wouldn't help him, he'd just lead the guy through one hell of a maze and lose him there! He'd pulled it off before. And if that didn't work...er, well, he'd just think of something else! Hey, he had a sword now, right? If it came down to it he could use it!

Never mind that he'd never touched a sword in his life prior to this, but it couldn't be that hard. Just...swing it around and stuff. Cake.

He dodged around and over the rubbage and unmentionables that were discarded in the alley, visualizing the streets in his head and planning out his route. It was difficult, though, because for all of his familiarity he'd never exactly lead a chase in the middle of a torrential downpour at night and he wasn't quite sure where he was. Rain blurred his vision and he had to focus more on not skidding across the ground on a piece of garbage more than where he was going. He also knew that he couldn't run forever, and if he didn't lose the guy before he wore himself out...he'd be screwed.

Which was exactly why he got this brilliant idea to take to the roofs instead and lose the guy that way.

He saw the perfect opportunity to do so when he turned a corner and saw a discarded crate pushed up against a wall, and his small pause as he looked around for a nearby escape route in case he couldn't get up on the roof probably cost him some precious time. But a second later and he was hopping atop the crate which cracked ominously under his weight, before reaching up, grabbing onto the slick gutter and vaulting himself up, wriggling and kicking until he could flop onto his belly on the roof. Trying to be as quiet as he could and controlling his heavy breaths as much as possible, he kept low to the roof and crept along it, aware of just how slippery it was.

Hopefully lightning didn't strike him up here. And hopefully if the guy figured out that he was up here, the crate would break and he wouldn't be able to make the climb.

In any case, dangerous as this was, it was kind of fun, too. He's always wondered what it would be like to be a ninja. And climbing atop a roof with a sword was pretty ninja like, right?
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

<I>I'm getting closer</I>.

It would be a miracle if he didn't slip and fall on his ass in all that rain.  And if he did?  Wouldn't matter.  There wasn't a force on earth could keep him from catching that thief.  That wasn't just any sword.  It was <I>his</I> sword, forged exactly to his style and his specifications by a master smith.  It cost a bloody fortune for one thing, but more than that it was the one thing he attached value to in all the world.

The chase brought them into darker streets, silhouettes of dilapidated shops and houses black against a sky rent by lightning.  Every illuminating bolt blinded him temporarily, ruined any hope of his eyes adjusting to the dark, but so too did they reveal the thief running ahead of him.  Kassian's eyes locked on the sheathed sword upon the thief's back every time lightning flooded the street with light.

The thief swerved.  So did Kas, grabbing the rain gutter at the corner of the building and using it to swing himself into the sharp turn without losing his feet.  Down the alleys they went.  Lightning would flashâ€"reveal the crates, abandoned wagons, piles of garbageâ€"then leave him in pitch blackness with only a memory of what he had seen to guide his way until the next flash.  He came damn close to falling on his face more times than he cared to count, but caution would get him nowhere here.

Another flash of lightning and…and where had the thief gone?  Damnit, he'd been so close!  Kas slowed and then stopped, panting.  In the next flash he saw that there were no streets up ahead the thief might have turned down, and he tensed.  His hand went to his dagger.  Either the kid was hiding or he planned to kill Kas before Kas could kill <I>him</I>.

The wind whipped his braid about as he searched his surroundings, ready for an attack at his back.  He quieted his breathing and looked up to the rooftops, turning in a slow circle.  Too often people never looked up or down and missed the obvious.

He was beginning to think he'd passed the thief up, when the lightning once again proved itself his friend.  The next blinding flash silhouetted the rooftop…and upon it a most out of place lump.  A nearby crate provided the only way up, and he took the leap without a second thought.  Athletically built from years of sword work and hard training, he vaulted up onto the roof in one smooth movement, but just barely.  The crate gave way beneath him just as he pulled himself up.

Finally he'd caught up.  He didn't say anything, crouching there on the roof with the thief before him.  Why spare words on someone who would be dead in mere moments?  He let the hiss of his dagger coming out of its sheath speak for him and stalked carefully forward like a hunting cat, very aware of the treacherous shingles beneath his feet.

Rhindeer

For a few wonderful moments, Vahni thought he was in the clear. When lightning flashed and illuminated the area, he'd freeze in place and try not to jump too much, hoping that if he kept really, really still and the guy didn't think to look up, everything would be just dandy. He kept glancing back toward the alley, though, squinting and looking more for just movement than any distinct shapes, and he gave up completely on trying to listen for anything. The rain was too loud, drumming on the shingles all around him, and it took too much concentration. He shouldn't be worrying about whether or not he was coming. He should just assume he was coming and keep going.

He wasn't even sure where he was headed, but if the guy followed him he already had a plan in mind. He just...had to make sure it didn't backfire, and sliding some of the shingles off the roof could <I>easily backfire. He'd already slipped a few times just crawling...

That was when he heard it. A tell tale crack behind him that sent a jolt through his body that had nothing to do with the thunder boom. The crate. Peering over his shoulder, his question about whether the crate would hold out or not or the guy could just climb up anyway was answered as the guy smoothly pulled himself up onto the roof before crouching there, his movements so fluid that Vahni felt his heart sink a little. Oh. Damn. Who the heck had he stolen from, exactly? Well. Heh. On the bright side, if he ended up caught at the end of this chase, the guy couldn't be that bad. After all, he'd been up there in a tree rescuing a cat and--

The metallic hiss drew his eyes downward and a flash of lightning made the blade shine ominously.

He had...a dagger.

And he was stalking toward him all scary predator-like.

With a dagger. A sharp one.

This guy meant business.

Vahni nearly lost his footing as he scrabbled forward and away from the guy, a loose shingle slipping out from under his feet as he lunged forward. He heard it shatter on the ground below. "Eh heh heh, aw, c'mon, ya look so <I>serious! I mean, is a dagger really necessary? I mean...I jus' thought...I jus' wanted to get yer attention, see. There's a cat up here somewhere, an' I thought, I like cats, ya obviously like cats, so I'd jus'...y'know...lead ya there an'...an'..." Yeah, that sounded really stupid. He slid forward more, swallowing. Damn! This was more difficult than he thought it would be, and the way that guy moved...he had the advantage.

"Okay, sorry, tha's a lie, but th' truth is I jus'...I jus'...can't we talk this over? I mean, okay, so it all started with m' sister, she jus' always wanted to be a knight but she's sick an' she never even got to see a sword an' I thought since she can't go outside 'cause she's contageous an' the light hurts her I'd just bring one to her an' I was gonna totally bring it back 'cause I'm not like that..." And he really needed to learn how to shut up sometimes.

Tally

What the…?

Just what the <I>hell</I>?  Gods of heaven and earth, was this kid serious?  What a pitiful, sputtering excuse for a human being.  Kas lowered the dagger and stared at the kid the way one stared at a strange insect.  Nothing drained the fight out of him so fast as begging.  Especially begging done by some pathetic, weak, unarmedâ€"

Well, no.  Not unarmed exactly.  The thief had Kas's own bloody <I>sword</I>.  But surely if he intended to use it he would have done so when Kas was vulnerable in the alley.  There would have been no more perfect time.  Kid sure wasn't behaving like some dangerous murderer.  All in all, he seemed like the run-and-hide type rather than the ambush-and-kill type.

Kas was beginning to think he'd severely, <I>greatly</I> overestimated the kid.

It was disappointing, though, him out for blood and this little wretch spoiling it by being a coward.  Would <I>nothing</I> go his way tonight?

What were the chances of this all being some act to get Kas disarmed and in striking distance?  Nil, he decided.  That was genuine mortal fear in the kid's voice.  Kas had heard it often enough to recognize it for what it was.  Not that he believed any of this horseshit the kid was spouting.  A cat on the roof?  He was gonna bring the sword <I>back</I>?  Ha.  Right.

Hey, wait just a bloody minute.  There Kas was just standing on the roof, blinking rain out of his eyes and utterly floored by the nigh incoherent begging where he'd expected a fight, and the kid was <I>still</I> getting away with his sword.  Glaring at the thief, Kas sheathed his dagger and picked his way across the slick roof.

"Shut up already, or I may just gut you after all."  He couldn't bring himself to kill the kid, but he sure as bloody hell was gonna beat his frustration out on him.  No less than what the thief deserved.  And hey, it meant the kid would walk away alive.  Everybody wins.

He lunged, grabbing for the back of the kid's shirt.  A shingle slid off beneath his foot.

<I>Shit!</I>

He went down with it, falling head first into black, empty space.  His hand snagged the edge of the roof, bringing him into a flip.  If it would have worked, it would have been an amazing feat of grace.  If his angle had just been a little different, or the ground just a little closer, he might have been able to land in a roll.

But he couldn't get his feet under him fast enough.  He landed hard on his right leg and heard the bone snap.  One cry he let out, one wordless moan of pain before gritting his teeth together.  The rain drummed on his back and his hands clenched so hard he could feel his nails biting into his palms even through his gloves.  He pressed his forehead to the cold, wet ground, and willed a coherent thought to come to him.  He had to focus now.  He had to get up.

Rhindeer

Somewhere in the back of his head, it occurred to Vahni that just giving the guy his sword back might be a good idea at this point. The man was faster, he obviously had experience, and he had a dagger and looked like he not only wanted to skin him alive with it, but that he would. Sure, it would sting his pride as a thief to be defeated so completely, but at the same time self preservation came first--and that was also the very reason why he didn't attempt to give the sword back. Because that would mean actually getting close to the guy or pausing to remove the baldric, and he wasn't sure that giving a sword to the guy that looked ready to murder him was smart.

So he kept moving forward and away from his persuer, still keeping low to the roof and not daring to attempt standing. He'd fall for sure, and it was hard enough to keep his feet beneath him.

But he could hear the guy getting closer. He may not have any other choice but to test his balance and hope the shingles held. "Yeah, no guttin', front's away from ya anyway but ya still got my back," Vahni muttered--though more quietly this time since he really didn't want to get gutted--as he shuffled forward a few more feet before he took his chances and started to rise. The building just ahead had a flat roof. If he could just make it there...

He didn't expect the guy to lunge for him. Not while atop a slippery roof.

He didn't expect the guy to go toppling off the roof before he could even yelp in surprise, and he could only watch with wide eyes and an open mouth.

The sickening crack, and the cry that followed, did not sound good.

For a few moments after, Vahni was completely still, heart drumming in his chest, eyes staring at the place where the man had been, before he slowly lowered himself back down into a crouch and released the breath he'd been holding. Holy...crap. Well. If that wasn't a turn of luck or what, saved just in the nick by a little ol' shingle. Excellent. He could make his clean getaway now with his prize and his life, thank his lucky stars, and take this as a sign that someone out there was on his side tonight. That's what he should have done, at least. That's what he wanted to do. That's what he almost did, drawing in a deep breath and turning away.

But it was also what he couldn't do.

Instead, he could only turn back and stare down from the roof with wide brown eyes, frozen on the spot as instinct warred with guilt. He hadn't meant for anyone to get hurt...

And Mister Scary wasn't really moving now.

Oh crap, was he dead?! No...he'd yelled...

Biting his lip, Vahni looked from the man's prone form to the alleys beyond and back, torn. If he was hurt bad, even if he'd survive the injury, there were still a lot of cutthroats and thugs that really might hurt or kill the guy if they found him, but what if he was just faking it? There was that possibility, too, that once he got down there he'd get pounced. Naw. Even as Vahni thought it, it sounded ridiculous because the guy would sure have to be a really good actor to pull it off and this seemed a bit too good to be acting. But...the sword! He had it! He should just leave. Rule of the streets, everyone looked out for themselves and that was it!

Except people that only looked out for themselves also didn't rescue abandoned kittens when feeding themselves was hard enough.

"Oh...shit...y-ya alive down there? Ah, don't move, I'll be right down," Vahni called as he picked his way carefully over the roof until he could find a safe way to get down. He spotted a rubbish heap that looked like it would provide a soft landing and carefully let himself slide down to the edge of the roof, feet braced against the gutter. From there he hopped down and landed in a pile of rotting...he didn't really want to know what, but he scrambled out of it, picked some sort of vegetable matter of of his hair, and took off at a jog.

He paused just out of arm's reach from the injured man. He didn't want to get too close just yet just in case the guy wanted to shank him. "Um...ya alright?"

Stupid, stupid question to ask. Vahni grimaced and rubbed the back of his neck, quite aware that he was, of course, still wearing the man's stolen sword. Which was going to be hard to get away with if he planned on helping the guy. The guy that he'd stolen from who probably wanted to gut him now.

Augh. Consciences.

Tally

Focus.  Just focus.  Kas forced his breathing to slow and deepen, forced his muscles to relax as he watched the raindrops hit the ground in front of his face.  Tension only made pain worse.  Something hit the ground down the alleyway and footsteps sounded, coming closer, barely audible in the rain.  He grinned.  Just let the little thief try to finish him off.  He still had his dagger and his arms still worked just fine.

Didn't matter if fighting wasn't the kid's natural inclination.  Kas was injured, and years of mental and physical training kept his guard up even though it seemed unnecessary.  

Only when he had relegated the pain to the farthest corner of his mind did he push himself up on his hands and his one good knee to look at the thief before him.  What was <I>with</I> this kid?  First he steals Kassian's sword, then he leads him on one hell of a desperate chase, and when the thief finally has the chance to get away for good, he passes it up and risks the sword <I>and</I> his life to come down here?  

He was a strange one.  Kas didn't quite know what to make of him.

"Am I all right."  For a few silent moments, Kas just stared at kid.  Then he broke into laughterâ€"short, bitter, and self-deprecatory.  It was his own damn fault, really.  Might as well admit it.  He'd been <I>so</I> supremely confident in his own reflexes and sense of balance.  Served him right.

So…now what?

He blinked up through the rain.  It had lessened from a relentless downpour into a lighter, steady fall, the kind that might continue for hours.  Full night had only just hit as he'd left the tavern before.  Daylight was a long while away, and he was stuck in probably the very worst part of Ketra with a broken leg and no decent weapon.  Even injured, he was worth more than any common street thug.  Any <I>one</I>.  A group, though?  No, better to be honest with himself.  More than one and even he'd be outmatched.  And given the way his luck was running today…

Twisting and clenching his teeth together, he explored his ruined leg with gentle fingertips and found it shattered just below the knee.  It wouldn't hold his weight, no chance.  Hobbling down the street on one leg was out of the question.  An injured man was just asking to be set upon, and anyway, something about the look of him just tended to attract people looking for a good challenge.  What, then?

He planted his palms flat on the ground and hung his head down, trying to think.  He couldn't expect anything of the thief except to run away with his bloody sword.  Kid probably still thought Kas would kill him at the first opportunity.  That ship had sailed, though.  It had sailed, caught fire, and gone down with no survivors.  It didn't mean Kas didn't still fully intend to get his sword back somehow.  But carving up some petty thief who didn't even seem able to defend himself had fallen off his priority list when he'd fallen off that roof.

Rhindeer

Yeah, yeah, it had been a stupid--if genuine--question, but he hadn't known what else to say just then. Vahni shifted from one foot to the other as the guy laughed, for a moment thinking the man had lost it. He was sitting up and all and coherent enough, but still, maybe he'd hit his head on the way down...

"I'll take tha' as a no..." he said sheepishly, taking a couple steps closer. Both of the man's hands were flat on the ground where he could see them, and neither of them held a weapon. Instead, he could see the dagger sheathed at his side, not a danger to him unless the guy was super quick and just whipped it out, but he was pretty sure he could jump back quicker than he could slice him. For a few moments he was quiet, simply watching the guy as he felt his leg and remembering how he'd heard something snap when he'd fallen. Broken bone, obviously. No...this scary tough guy wouldn't be walking out of here.

And since scary-tough-guy didn't seem like he was in the talking mood, Vahni would just do it for him.

"Look, I, ah...'kay, look, if ya stay here yer prob'ly gonna get mugged--" He stopped and blinked. Wait. Actually, the guy had already technically been mugged. By him. Only minus the mugging and violence. Yeah, wrong word choice! Vahni fiddled with the strap of the baldric, feeling more and more guilty. Which he shouldn't have! He was a thief, dammit! Stealing was what he did, no guilt involved, just survival! But no one had ever gotten hurt because of his stealing and that's what made this different. He felt responsible and guilty even if <I>he wasn't the one who had pushed the guy off the roof. But for all that he'd spent his life on the streets, he'd never learned to harden his heart.

"What I mean is, if ya stay here someone's gonna find ya an' really hurt ya prob'ly, an' I didn't mean fer anyone ta get hurt," he corrected, pushing wet silver hair out of his eyes. Of course the rain would lighten up now. "An' it's rainin' an' you'll get sick an'...um...ya got anywhere ta go? 'Cause...if not...er...I got a place an'...ya can come there if ya promise not ta, y'know, murder me or anythin'. There's lotsa room an' stuff, jus' as long as ya don' mind kids."

But even as he was making his offer, he was also thinking about the dilemma this whole situation brought up: the sword.

What was he going to do about that?

He didn't want to give it back...he'd earned it fair and square, he'd technically won this confrontation! But if he was offering to help this guy...well...

The guy may be injured now, but he was going to heal.

If he was going to do this, it wasn't like he could take the sword, not unless he wanted to, indeed, get throttled. The guy still had working arms.

Ugh...he really should just leave with his prize. But no. Instead, Vahni heaved a sigh and slipped the baldric over his head and held it out in front of the man, not quite looking at him. "Here..."

But this little peace offering didn't mean he didn't fully intend on stealing the sword back when it was fair to do so.

Tally

<I>I am so sick of this damned rain.</I>  He'd been soaked clean through for way too long, and it was starting to get uncomfortable now that he had the chance to notice it with the adrenaline leaving off.  Pain was one thing.  Pain he could deal with for a good while.  But some of the more innocuous things like being cold or wet with no relief from it…those things had a way of getting under a person's skin <I>and</I> composure.

The Thief with the Everlasting Mouth was still there and still babbling on.  Kas's eyes narrowed.  In spite of it all, he still wanted to believe this was some trick.  Mistrust was a hard habit to breakâ€"and a good habit to have, in his opinion.  But the gods were giving him a way out of this mess.  No sense passing up an opportunity offered.

Kids, though?  As in <I>children?</I>  Shit, he'd almost rather risk the street thugs.

Through it all he'd been silent, and he was silent now, considering the sword held out before him with no small degree of suspicionâ€"and with his own clumsy attempt at empathy.  Not that he would ever be able to get into the mind of a thief, but it was hard for anyone to give up something they thought of as their own.  That much he understood.

Finally, he took the baldric and sword and settled it across his chest.  The familiar weight drove a lot of the tension out of him.  He stretched up on his good knee, grabbed the kid by the shirt, and pulled him down to his level.  He looked him dead in the eyes.

"I swear on my sword, you're safe from me," he said.  Hopefully that would be enough to ease the kid's doubts.  Considering what they'd just been through, he should know it wasn't something Kas said lightly.  If this boy was really going to open his home to help a stranger, Kas would do what he could to put his mind at ease.  He didn't want the kid to be afraid of him.

He slid his arm around the thief's neck.  "However."  Then he drove his fist into the kid's stomach as hard as he could.

He fell forward, releasing the thief and catching himself with his hands.  "You deserved that," he growled.  And now, if the kid still wanted to help him after that, he would accept it.  <I>Now</I> they were square.  It wasn't about holding a grudge.  Kas just hated leaving business unfinished.  He wouldn't be in debt to anyone, and he wouldn't have anyone in debt to him.

Little brat had gotten him into this in the first place.

Rhindeer

Silence still. Okaaay. Vahni had been certain that the guy would've been all over getting his sword back considering the lengths he'd already gone to for that thing, but instead the guy just stared at the sword. Probably pondering over whether he could whip the thing out of its sheath faster than Vahni could move out of the way. Alright. Well. If he wasn't going to <I>accept the sword and the help, then so be it, Vahni felt bad and all but how did that saying go? The one about leading a horse to water? If the guy wanted to act tough, he'd just take the sword and leave. You couldn't <I>force a guy bigger and stronger than you to do anything.

Creeped out by the silence which, to him, seemed to drag on <I>forever, Vahni was on the verge of backing out of his offer when the guy finally took the baldric and sword. Great. So the offering was accepted, but what about the offer--?

A small, surprised sound left him when he was suddenly pulled down and he stumbled forward before regaining his balance enough to keep from toppling over. Tension locked every muscle as he prepared to struggle, but he never actually got to attempt it when the man met his eyes and spoke.

He relaxed a little, released a slow breath, and slowly eased down until he was crouching as opposed to being all awkwardly bent over. Then he gave a slow nod to show he understood, still maintaining eye contact and not daring to break it even though he wanted to. He'd always found direct, unbroken eye contact horribly awkward in most cases. "'Kay," he managed, swallowing. Great! Swore on his sword. That was good enough for Vahni, because that thing must mean a lot to this guy from the way he'd acted. You know, judging by the way he'd seemed quite ready to kill for it and all.

But then the tension returned and a chill ran down his spine when he felt an arm slide around his neck, though unfortunately he didn't heed the warning that his body had already registered. His mind just rationalized it. He needed help up, of course! So of course he'd throw an arm around him for support so he could help him up! After all, the guy swore on his sword that he was safe from him!

By the time his mind caught up with his body, by the time the guy had said "however" and he had realized the danger in that word, Vahni was doubled over on his knees with his head nearly touching the wet ground, clutching his stomach and wheezing for a breath he couldn't quite seem to take and fighting against nausea. Oh. Wow. He hadn't seen that coming. But at least it was a fist and not a dagger? Not that it made much of a difference right now because that hurt.

Somewhere beyond the pain and coughing, he caught the man's words and forced a strained grin. Couldn't argue against that. He had earned that punch fair and square. He was just glad the guy didn't decide to take the eye for an eye route and break his leg. Any other person probably would have.

"Nngh..." Okay, not what he had meant to say. He'd been trying to form actual words, but for the moment it seemed he could only groan. Waiting a few more seconds, he took another strained breath and lifted his head a little. "Yeah, I know...but ya coulda...waited 'til I got...'til I got ya home, y'know..." he gasped, raising up a little and using one hand to support him, the other still pressed to his stomach. "Now we're both gonna be...hobblin'..."

He rubbed his aching stomach, took a few more deep breaths, then frowned at the other man. "Can we call it even now? I kinda want outta th' rain..." Then he gave the man a shrewd look. "...When ya say I'm safe from ya, are we jus' talkin' sharp pointy things or do punches an' whatnot count, too?"

Tally

Yes, it was most unwise to attack his would-be savior.  Yes, he realized the kid might very well curse him and run off after this, and he wouldn't hold it against him in the least if that happened.  Yes, he may have just ruined the one chance he had to get out of this in one piece and still living.  It was a dice throw, but he was willing to risk it if it meant the two of them could call it even, at least for now.

So he waited.  He watched the kid catch his breath and recover from the blow.  No use trying to guess the reaction he'd get.  He was through trying to predict <I>anything</I> this kid did.  That was a futile effort if ever there was one.  At this point, nothing the kid did would surprise him.

And it was <I>still</I> raining, a steady, infuriating drizzle, just enough to keep them soaked and miserable.  Kas sighed, and for a moment let the pain in his leg creep up on him, just to distract him from the cold and wet.  He was going to get grouchy if he didn't get out of this soon.  Sitting there lame on the ground like that was getting to his pride.

He responded to the kid's grin with a raised eyebrow.  "Yes, but then I would have been your guest, and it wouldn't have been appropriate," he said, perfectly serious.  Here, now, they were just a thief and swordsman.  Once he set foot in the boy's home, he would be a guest and the laws of hospitality would come into play.  Violate those, and the gods would be sure he paid for it.

At least the kid wasn't whining about being hurt.  He took the hit well, better than Kas had thought he would.  His respect for the kid rose a little.

"We're even," he said, looking the kid in the eyes again.  He was direct, even in that.  "I just wanted to get that out of the way."  Swallowing his pride as best he could, he raised a hand for the kid to help him up.  "How far do we have to go?"

Gods of earth, but he couldn't <I>wait</I> to get dry.  Not that he had any other clothes to change into, but it would feel good just to get out of the rain and let his hair out of that braid.  It felt like a heavy rope hanging off his head.

Rhindeer

"Huh...?" Vahni could only stare at the man. Wouldn't have been appropriate? He couldn't really see the difference between punching someone indoors or outdoors--it still hurt the same. But at least he now knew that he was safe as long as he was in his home. That was good to know! So if he ever pissed the guy off again, he could just slip inside his home and he couldn't touch him? Wonderful. Of course, he also knew he shouldn't even be <I>pondering the possibility of pissing the guy off again right now when he was still recovering from a punch in the gut so he quickly pushed that notion out of his head.

"Right...of course," he said instead, blinking. "So ya can't punch me if I'm inside?" he blurted before clamping his teeth together. He so hadn't meant to say that. "Never mind."

He sat up a bit straighter and his bruised muscles ached in protest. Owie. He winced but stubbornly refused to curl up like he wanted to because, unlike the seasoned swordsman with the broken leg that he wasn't even grimacing over, Vahni was certainly not trained to deal with pain. If he had been on his own and his stomach was hurting like this, he would have indeed been curled up somewhere and whimpering, but he certainly couldn't do <I>that in front of anyone. Especially not someone who was all tough and scary and took a broken bone without complaint. He didn't want to look like a wimp, after all.

Once again Vahni forced himself to meet the man's eyes, though he did have to drop his gaze a bit early. "Great. But I still think ya picked a bad time fer th' punchin'. Coulda waited 'til jus' outside my place," he said, unable to stop his big mouth from running. He coughed softly. "Kiddin'. Um, anyhoo, it's not far away. Only like a coupla blocks down th' street, so yer pretty lucky. Well, I mean, y'know, all things considered yer lucky."

He climbed to his feet sorely, idly thinking that this is what old men must feel like getting out of bed in the mornings, but he held his breath so he wouldn't make a sound. Then he reached down to take the man's hand so he could help haul him up. Man, if this wasn't going to be the most awkward trip home, both of them sore, and Vahni still couldn't quite shake the weirdness of everything. Just like that, they were over their little confrontation. Of course, that was just because he felt bad and the swordsman needed help, but it was still really weird. Maybe it was a bad idea trusting him...he might turn him in when he got better. He might not honor what he's sworn.

But he'd just deal with those issues if and when they arose. Right now he had to pay off his end of the debt--which was patching up the harm he'd caused.

Ergh...he was a terrible criminal.

"I guess jus' lean on me. Don' worry, I can take it. Then we'll just--aw shit...clothes..." He heaved a sigh. "I don't got any extra clothes, jus' so ya know," he muttered, remembering one of the reasons he'd come out here to begin with. Patching his roof and clothes. Dry clothes from...somewhere. He had no clue where, even. He'd accomplished neither. "But mosta th' blankets are dry still...I hope. Hn...an' I hope ya know how ta repair yer leg, 'cause I dunno how ta do anything like that an'...aw forget it. I'll shut up 'bout tha', we'll deal, eh? Um...so...what's yer name?"

That was a nice, safe, not-so-depressing change of topic. And while Kas' way of ignoring the wet and cold may have been to focus on the pain, Vahni's way was to talk and, basically, just hear the sound of his own voice.

The sword guy didn't seem like the best conversationalist so far, but that wouldn't bother Vahni.

Tally

What a strange rapport they'd developed.  Necessity made for some unexpected alliances.  Kas had been ready to kill the kid.  He wouldn't have drawn it out, or made it needlessly painful, but he would have done it just the same.  And now he would be the thief's guest.

Why would anyone risk a stranger in a home with children though?  For all the thief knew, he could have been the type to prey on children.  Either this kid really was just that trusting or he was supremely confident in his ability to protect himself and any children in his home.

It was still foolish of him.

Kas eyed him with one brow raised, wondering just how quickly the kid would stop being an interesting oddity and would become just plain annoying.  Really, what was so hard to understand about guest laws?  A guest in someone's home bore certain constraints and responsibilities.  Surely everyone knew this.  "That's right," Kas said.  And with a perfectly serious face added, "So I'd have to drag you outside if I had the need to beat you senseless."

He waited in customary silence for the boy to recover.  It wasn't that his leg wasn't bloody <I>killing</I> him, and it wasn't that he was possessed of great patience either.  Quite the opposite.  But grimacing and moaning wouldn't make it hurt any less or help it to heal.  And no matter how much he wanted to just scream up at the sky to <I>stop raining</I> it wouldn't do any good either.  It tended to give others the impression he was stoicâ€"and maybe he was; self introspection never interested himâ€"but the reality was he just didn't see the sense in wasting energy on useless actions.

Getting to his feet <I>did</I> make him grimace, though.  He had to put most of his weight on the kid just to haul himself up to his one good leg.  And Kas was solidly built whereas the kid was slim.  He felt like a twig that might snap any moment as Kas wrapped an arm around his neck.  The motion of standing jostled his broken leg and he had to clench his teeth together until they ached to bite back a grunt of pain.

It was a good thing no one was there to see them, because Kas might have died a little should anyone witness him hobbling along like a cripple, clinging to this stick of a boy.  His pride hurt so very much more than a broken leg ever could.

Clothes.  His own felt about twenty pounds too heavy with all the water in them.  They'd make do somehow.  He'd strip his clothes off and wear a <I>sheet</I> if he had to.  Anything to get himself dry.

"I can set my leg."  It seemed like more or less a clean break, and the thief could help so long as Kas told him what to do.  Finding something to make a splint out of wouldn't be hard.  Just too bad he had no coin for a healer and no favors to call in that wouldn't alert certain…old acquaintances to his presence here.

"My name is Kassian."

Rhindeer

Why was he looking at him like he was the crazy one? Especially when the guy said that he'd have to drag him outside if he wanted to beat him. Vahni returned the man's look, raising an eyebrow and just staring at him as though he were completely nuts. "Tha' don't make any sense..." And it didn't! He couldn't smack him inside, so if he wanted to smack him he'd just drag him outdoors? What? What difference did it make at all? You were still getting smacked, it really didn't matter if it was inside or outside and it just seemed like an extra hassle to yank the other person out the door just so you could whack them.

Still, even if he didn't understand the guy's weird outlook, it was nice to know. Let him have his strange opinions.

Helping the man up was indeed an effort, and it took all of his strength to keep the two of them upright as he took the brunt of the man's weight. Even then he wasn't fully upright and found himself leaning a little, feet spaced apart to better balance himself and one arm slipping around the guy's waist to help support him.  Yeesh. While it was obvious the swordsman was an athletic sort, he hadn't expected him to be that heavy. It probably wasn't saying much, though, since Vahni was thin and on the underweight side from burning more energy than he could replenish.

Vahni was a little leery of that arm that slid around his neck, considering what happened last time when he'd assumed the guy was just trying to get up, but the ache in his muscles reminded him that they were even now.

Besides, if the guy punched him now he'd drop him, and he didn't think that would feel very good on his leg. Jeez. How did he deal with that? He had to be hurting.

"Whew, good, 'cause like I said I can't an' I dunno anyone tha' can 'cept healers an' they cost money so we'd be in trouble," he said, tightening his hold on the man as he carefully--and precariously--started to lead the way down the street, trying not to stumble too much because he was sure every jolt would hurt the guy. Now with the whole confrontation behind them and his own pain not so fresh, he was finally starting to really feel the rain and the cold and the unpleasant sensation of his soaked woolen clothes rubbing uncomfortably here and there, probably giving him a rash. It didn't matter how many times he'd been cold and wet before, it was still bloody miserable, and he was still sore about all his clothes getting wet and his roof deciding to leak.

He'd take the wet and leaky side, too, and offer the swordsman the dryer side. He was the injured one, after all.

"Kassian, huh? I'm Vahni, nice ta meetcha. Heeey...I could call ya Kassi fer short an' it'd almost rhyme! Kassi...Vahni...well, I mean, they both got 'eee' at th' end at least, close enough," Vahni said with a crooked grin at Kas, then quickly wiped the smile away, set his face in a more stoic expression, and faced forward again. The guy had his arm around his neck, he didn't want to get strangled. Maybe he should wait until they were both inside before talking. A man with a broken leg couldn't really drag anyone outside.

Luckily for Kas, it was a fairly straight walk once they got out of the alley--Vahni wasn't going to lead him down all the alleys like this, not with all the turns and obstacles there--though Vahni was a little off in his estimation and it was three blocks, not two, before they reached the correct alley. Carefully guiding and hobbling into the mouth of it, just ahead at the end of the dead-end alley Vahni's "home" could be made out.

Home was such a generous word.

The thing looked like it could have been thrown together in five minutes, and that was about as long as it had taken once Vahni had gathered all the materials. It was literally built from a bunch of stacked crates and boxes with a few broad wooden planks laid out across them at the top to form a roof. The door was another plank propped up against the structure at an angle with nothing to anchor it, and from the size of the place from the outside...it was really small, even though it was as wide as the narrow alley.

On top of the little "shanty's" roof were a number of thoroughly soaked clothes. Vahni spared them a glare as though it was their fault for getting wet before smiling at Kas.

"There it is," Vahni announced proudly as he lead the way, bracing himself with his free arm against the alley wall in case he slipped. It may not have been much, but it was his and he made it himself. "I know it looks small, but don' worry, we'll fit." All you had to do was kiss your "personal bubble" goodbye. "We might be a lil' squished, but trust me, if it can fit five cozily, it can take six!"

Tally

"I was being facetiousâ€"never mind."  Of <I>course</I> he wouldn't be dragging the kid out of his home to lay into him.  Not unless he did something unforgivable like steal Kas's sword again.  It had been a joke, sort of.  And <I>what</I> was so hard to get about it?  Kas really didn't know how to make himself any clearer, and he was glad the kid shut up about it.  He'd never been called upon to explain something  that should be so self-evident.

Guests did not harm their hosts, and hosts did not harm their guests.  It was the simplest thing in the world.

Navigating the wet alleyways in the dark and the rain and on one good leg was a tedious job, and there was a lot of awkward shifting and hopping until Kas finally worked out a rhythm of movement between himself and the boy.  Careful.  Every movement shot pain through his leg, and if they slipped and fell, he didn't know what he would do.  Abandon all composure and just scream with all the air in his lungs.  Gods, how had he found himself like this?  Nigh helpless and forced to accept aid from this common thief.  Yes, that was a shameful thought and ungrateful on top of it.  He didn't care just then.  He wanted to indulge in his bitterness for awhile.

It was his pride was hurting him now.  <I>And remember it was that pride that got your leg broke in the first place, eh?</I>

Vahni.  Yeah, good.  Introductions out of the way.  Fine.

<I>Kassi?</I>

His eye twitched.  "It's Kassian," he said, meeting Vahni's grin with a look so dry it was a wonder it didn't evaporate the water right off of them.  And if his voice was a little stiff he at least thought he did a good job of keeping the murder out of it.  For the most part.  Kassi, indeed.  Now <I>that</I> would be a drag-him-out-and-beat-him offense.  'Kas' he could tolerate.  Sometimes.

They stopped before some jumble of boxes and wood planksâ€"to take a breather before going on to Vahni's home, Kas thoughtâ€"and then he realized that this was their destination.

"<I>This</I> is where you <I>live</I>?" he said, and snapped his mouth shut immediately.  If he hadn't been holding on to Vahni he would have smacked his own forehead.  He hadn't meant it the way it had sounded.  He hadn't meant to insult the kid.  But with the talk of children, he'd expected something different.

Sheepish because of his outburst, and angry because of his sheepishness, he settled for a subject change in liue of an actual apology, the likes of which were just beyond him for the most part.  "What do you mean, five?"  Five <I>what?</I>  Children?  That couldn't possibly be.  They would be on top of each other.  Even he and Vahni would practically be on top of each other in the small space.

Rhindeer

Ouch. Well that was one way to take the wind out of his sails. Vahni hunched his shoulders and blushed, glad for the darkness and hoping the rain would cool his cheeks, though right now his face was the only part of him that was warm. He didn't look at Kas as he spoke. "Um...not always..." he muttered sheepishly, pride replaced with shame as he felt the sudden need to explain himself--and defend himself.

"I've lived other places...jus' actually moved here an'...an' I know it's no pretty manor, but I built it m'self an' ya wouldn't believe how long it took ta find th' stuff here! Stuff's scarcer here, it took forever. I think it's pretty good," he added, stubborn pride creeping back into his voice.

Oh, slurs and insults he was used to. It came with the territory of being a thief, those were no biggy and he could laugh those off--a lot of them were really creative, and they were also well earned! But he didn't like being looked down on or pitied, and to have one of the few honest things he'd actually created himself received like that...it was really embarrassing because it reminded him of just how low on the societal food chain he really was.

He was glad for the subject change.

Finally stopping just before the jumble he called home, Vahni planted his feet to keep them both upright and drew a deep breath, shifting his grip on Kas. Now standing still he finally noticed that he was shaking, half from the cold and wet and half from just the effort of supporting them both.

"Hm? Oh! I mean th' kids. There's five of 'em, y'know. Don' worry, I'll make sure they don' crawl all over ya or claw or bite ya or nothin'. Yer not allergic, are ya?" he asked seriously while he fumbled with his free hand to slide the plank that served as the door out of the way.

A little black kitten with white front paws was waiting where the door once was, peering up at both Kas and Vahni with large eyes. She gave a little mew. Beyond her, the rest of the "home" was barely visible, but near the back left corner there was a box of some sort, and aside from some blankets, a few old pillows he'd snagged, and a threadbare cloth bag, that was as far as the interior design went.

"Aw, Socks, whatcha doin' outta yer box? Yer all wet now...go on, get outta th' way, we got company. Um...okay, Kassi, how're we gonna do this? I don' wanna hurt yer leg, but ya can see it's kinda a small openin'," Vahni said, looking from the small door to the swordsman and back and adjusting his grip on him again; his hands were cold so he almost had to do that just to make sure his hand was still where he'd put it. Yeah. This was going to be interesting. Getting Kas up had been all right. Lowering him down and getting him inside...he really wasn't sure how to go about that without killing his leg.

They were also going to get the whole place soaked, but...oh well...better to be just soaked than to get more</I> soaked standing out here.

Tally

He was about to ask for more clarification on just what they would be sharing the space with that might bite or scratch, but the question answered itself.  Through dripping bangs Kassian stared down at the black kitten greeting them in the doorway.

Cats, he thought.  More cats. They were haunting him today it seemed.

The next part would take some doing.

Kassian ducked through, bracing himself on Vahni first then on what passed as a doorframe.  It was dim inside, but his eyes were already adjusted to the night and he made out the crate in the corner.  Getting to it was the hard part, with five kittens now wandering around his feet and mewing at him, but he made it with only one or two aborted grunts of pain.

After that, he had to sit for a minute.  He was panting from the effort and needed to gather his thoughts and refocus.  The place was small, but it would do.  He slept on the ground often as not, traveling so much as he did.  And at that point anything that kept the rain off his head was as good as a mansion in his eyes.

Some of the kittens were trying to get his attention, one even leapt up into his lap, but he ignored them.  â€œLight,â€? he muttered.  â€œDo you have candles?  A lantern?  Anything to see by?â€?  If not, he would have to make do somehow.  â€œI'll need wood.  Just three or four straight planks about as long as your forearm, and some strips of cloth to tie them with.  Can you get me these things?â€?

First thing's firstâ€"he lifted the baldric and sword from his shoulder and set them aside, close by, then peeled off his sopping coat and shirt.  Underneath he was all hard muscle and tanned skin, a few scars puckering along his torso and arms.  Two silver nipple rings matched the few silver piercings in his ears, and together they made up the only adornments on his person.  With his wet shirt finally off, he considered his pants.  Impossible to work them off with his leg broken, and difficult to set the leg properly with them on.  He could cut the one pant leg off at the knee, but these were the only clothes he had, so he opted instead to push the leg up, finally exposing the break.

A cursory study in the dim light and a quick, delicate questing of his fingertip suggested he'd been right; the break was clean and not terrible as broken bones went.

Grimly he shooed the kittens away from him and whipped his belt off.  He was going to need something to bite onto.

Rhindeer

Vahni couldn't help but wince sympathetically as Kassi--er, Kassian--made his way into the room, each grunt of pain, few as they were, making him feel a little worse about, you know, breaking the guy's leg. Not that he'd actually done the breaking, and never mind that Kassi had been about ready to slaughter him, but the was beside the point. Still, he made it, and Vahni watched to make sure he didn't step on any kittens or anything. He didn't; even with a broken leg the guy was pretty damned agile because Gods knew there were enough little obstacles in that small space.

The kittens seemed to like him, though. That was good. He couldn't remember where, but he thought he'd heard something about animals being able to read people or something like that, and he wasn't swatting at them or anything. If Vahni had had any remaining concerns about letting Kassi stay here, those were all gone now, because judging by the kitten in the guy's lap, he'd been kitty approved!

Great!

Stooping down, Vahni crawled in after Kassi and took a seat by the entrance, lightly scratching a kitten behind the ear as it toddled over and butted his hand. "Hum? Light? Oh, um...well, I got some candles, but I don't got nothin' ta light 'em with..." he said, shuffling forward on his knees so he could grab the bag in the back and rummage through its contents while Kassi took off what wet cloth he could. There wasn't much in the bag and the cloth was damp in places from the leak he'd dealt with earlier, but after a moment he pulled out a small stub of a candle and held it out, smiling. "Wick got sorta wet, but it might...work..." He trailed off, staring at Kassian.

It wasn't that Kassian was half naked or anything, nor was it all the scars, but what did get Vahni's attention was the silver nipple rings. Not that he stared at people's chests, but his eyes were just naturally trained to move straight to whatever was shiny, and...and...piercings...there? His own chest hurt just seeing those!

"Didn't tha' hurt?" Vahni blurted before his brain could catch up with his mouth, before he could register that, duh, the guy took a broken leg without screaming, he had a bunch of impressive looking scars, and no kidding he could probably take it! Then, realizing he was gaping and realizing just what he'd asked, he shook his head and coughed. "Uh, right! Planks! Yeah, I can get 'em! Jus' hold a sec an'...er...mind th' kittens, will ya? They kinda like dangly shinies so...gah! Ferget it! Be right back! Jus' be careful!"

As Kassian whipped off his belt, Vahni set the candle stub on the ground at his feet, then headed back out into the drizzle to go scope out some planks. They shouldn't be hard to find, people left junk out there all the time and...eugh. Nipple rings. Why? Ew ew. What if they caught on something and...right. Planks. And hopefully the guy would have his leg set by the time he got back, too, because he didn't really want to see that--or help with it. Way too painful, and he couldn't help it if he had a weak stomach.

Vahni wasn't gone too long, and when he returned, he had in his arms three arm-lenth planks. He carefully set them inside before sliding inside himself, seating himself across from Kassian cross-legged, shivering a little. His clothes were soaked and cold and he couldn't wait to get out of them, but if Kassi needed anything else, he wanted to be dressed and ready. It would suck more getting all nice and dry and warm and then having to put soaked clothes right back on.

"Alright! Got th' planks! I couldn't find any dry ones, so...tha' okay? Need anythin' else?" He kept his eyes fixed on Kassian's face. No. No looking. But he swore Kassian better sleep with a blanket up to his chin or he was going to spend the whole night stressing about kittens gnawing on--augh! Bad thoughts!