Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

can't get any worse [Rhiiii]

Started by Tally, July 02, 2007, 01:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tally

Kassian was beginning to doubt that Vahni was taking this at all seriously.

Tell the boy that his home, his livelihood, even his very life was in danger and how did he react? As though Kassian were a talespinner, regaling him with exploits fictitious or too far removed to worry over.

That childlike excitement proved disarming in spite of Kassian's exasperation though.  Indeed, sitting on the floor of a thief's hovel with sunlight spilling over him through the cracks and a pack of kittens stumbling over his legs, he couldn't help but let go of his rigidity.

"Well," he said, casting exaggerated glances to either side before leaning in to match Vahni's conspiratorial manner. "Yes. Yes I am."  Which somehow seemed a novelty to Vahni, despite being himself a criminal.

"And...I did.  And now worse criminals are after me.  Dangerous ones, more dangerous then me even.  They surely won't find me here, but they're out there in the city somewhere, watching for me.  In fact, in stealing my sword you may have foiled their nefarious designs and saved my life."

Truth down to the word. He'd never expected to give away so much of it or in such a flippant fashion as to make it sound less dire than it was, but the last day or so had taught him just how much his expectations were worth.  He was not so foolish as to strive against fate when the gods so clearly redirected his life in the direction of their choosing.

Rhindeer

Vahni's eyes widened, eyebrows climbing, and he scooted a little closer to better hear Kassi. Worse criminals were after him, more dangerous than Kassi? That was scary. Vahni had had some run-ins with some pretty shady folks and gotten beat up pretty good, but Kassian definitely took the cake in terms of terrifying; he'd never truly feared for his life before! Well, maybe a little here and there. And these criminals were here? He said 'city', and Vahni could only assume he meant this one.

And he'd saved Kassi's life!

"Heeey, so I'm a hero, huh?" Vahni grinned and sat up straighter, puffing out his chest proudly--and then curled back up again when his stomach protested. He drew his knees up against his chest and folded his arms atop them, chin resting on his arms. "Well tha's jus' bollocks. I save yer life an' ya punch me? Most people say 'thanks', y'know, or give 'em a big wet kiss or a favor or somethin' but no, leave it t' me to get punched."

Just to show he was only kidding--after all, they were good and square now!--he stuck out his tongue and laughed. "Jus' teasin'. So, hey, who're these guys, eh? What'dja do t' tick 'em off?" Because surely, in Vahni's mind, if people were after you then you must have done something to bring their wrath upon your head. Vahni knew; he had plenty of experience in the pissing-people-off area, being a thief and all, and he'd never claim it wasn't his fault.

At least...in his head he was honest. Out loud, naw, he'd make up every excuse under the sun. He wasn't stupid, he didn't wanna get beat.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

"A hero in my eyes forever more," Kassian agreed.  Vahni seemed to be eating up the story and the praise.  It wasn't so bad, this place, and maybe Kassian wasn't as worse off as he'd told himself last night.  Resourcefulness had ever been his most reliable means of survival.  He would leave here penniless and alone, but that had hardly stopped him in the past now had it?

"So you want a favor."  He stared at the ceiling and pretended to mull the idea over in his mind with grave solemnity.  "You think I owe you a debt for these turn of events hm?  Ha, maybe I do.  Ask me your favor when my leg is healed and we'll see where we stand."  Vahni may have been joking, but there was no denying the possible good that had come out of this or the danger that Vahni put himself in by stealing food enough to feed the two of them.

Some things, though, didn't bear discussing.  "It doesn't matter what I did.  They've plenty of reason to be after me and I don't expect them to leave off any time soon."  Part of that was his fault.  He could have been discrete with the men they had sent after him but no, pride and spite had driven him to make a message of the bodies.  He'd flaunted their failure and it had put the fury of blood vengeance in them.

None of this was anything Vahni needed to know.  Being upfront with the boy was only right, but Kassian would keep the details of the whole messy business to himself.

"So do any of them have names?"  The kittens had settled down and the grey one who had slept on him the night before was once again curled up in Kassian's lap.

Rhindeer

A wide grin broke out across Vahni's face and he brought a hand to his chin, stroking it with his thumb. "When yer leg's healed, eh? Few weeks or so? Swell! Gives me lotsa time to think up somethin' real good!"

Because honestly, right now he had no idea what he'd ask for. That had only been said to give the man a hard time, but if he was going to take him seriously then Vahni sure wasn't going to complain! The only question was what did Kassi have to offer? Pfft, not much. If Kassi had money, he'd ask for that (that counted as a favor, right?) but since Kassi was as pip-less as he was, that threw that right out. Taking out some of his enemies? Kassi was all mercenary-like and all, but Vahni didn't have any real enemies apart from law and the thugs that just bothered everyone, and the thought of 'taking them out' made him feel sick. He didn't wanna kill no one. Build him a better home? Kassi looked strong, but that seemed pointless since he had to move locations so often anyway.

Pah! He'd figure it out! He had a few weeks to think, depending on how long it took for legs to heal and how long Kassi decided to stay. For now, he pushed that thought away to deal with later and focused back on the here and now.

Which had taken a turn for the disappointing. "Aww. Well now I'm curious..." he huffed, resting his chin back on his arms and frowning. He knew that he should probably leave it alone, but it felt like every time Kassi answered one question, ten more popped up, and instead of learning more about him the guy was only making himself seem that much more mysterious. "Ya steal someone's girl? Can't think of many more things tha'd get a buncha murderous folks after ya. 'Cept sword-stealin'. Anyway..."

And for the moment he'd leave it at that--and poke more later. But for now, kittens!

"They all have names," Vahni said, and smiled as he looked at the gray one curled up with Kassi. She'd really taken a shine to him, that one, and it didn't look like he minded too much either. That was good, it meant that maybe he still had a shot at pawning her off on the guy. Vahni started with her.

"Tha' one there, her name's Glint. Then this little guy over here's Boots," he said, pointing to a black and white kitten with three black paws. "This one's Pip, then there's Rascal and Fae, 'cause she looks fae-touched, don'tcha think?" he finished, pointing to a brown kitten, black kitten with a crooked tail, and another brown kitten that was rather plain save for his vivid turquoise eyes, though they were closed now. The three were all curled up together in a pile of fluff.

Vahni turned his back to the wall, folded his arms under his head, and reclined against it. "Dunno what I'm gonna do with 'em once they're older..." He shot a meaningful look at Kassi as he said that, then at the kitten, then back at Kassi.

Hint, hint.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Tally

A bit of honest worry nagged him at Vahni's apparent glee.  Maybe he shouldn't have been so quick to agree to do Vahni a favor.  In the moment, he had thought it couldn't possibly be anything terribly inconvenient.  Now he wondered if he hadn't vastly underestimated Vahni's ability to inconvenience him.

Whatever it would be, he'd locked himself into doing it fairly securely.

"You'll have to just be curious then."  And that would be the end of that.  On this he was as stone, and Vahni would get no more out of him. He could pout about it all he liked.  Kassian knew when to shut his mouth.  He'd told him what he felt Vahni was entitled to given the risk the thief was taking for him.  All else he would keep close.

"Glint, hm?"  He scratched her back and felt a purr rumbling through her.

He traveled far too much to worry about taking a cat along with him.  That and he didn't care to be responsible for anything except himself and his horse.

"I don't expect they'll be a trouble for you much longer. Cats are resourceful creatures, you know?  They are survivors.  Once they're grown, they'll probably take to roaming and will mostly care for themselves."  He glanced sideways at Vahni.  "Though I'm sure they'll always come back to you."

Rhindeer

Vahni's shoulders sagged, a crestfallen expression replacing the cheery one as Kassi's words rolled around in his head. His kittens? Roaming the countryside all by themselves? Soon the look of sadness turned to one of horror as he thought less on what it would be like to give them up and more on what awaited them out there in the world.

"Tha's a horrible thought!" he gasped, going rigid, brown eyes widening in shock. "Th' kittens out there all by their lonesome? Ya crazy? It's dangerous out there, fer cats!"

He plucked up Rascal off the floor and cuddled him against his chest, burying his nose in the black fur. The kitten squirmed and mewled in protest, but Vahni just continued seriously, "Heard a dog get one jus' a coupla nights ago...it was awful, most awful sound I ever heard. It ain't safe out there, Kassi. I wanna make sure they all get good homes."

Rascal struggled and finally managed to wriggle free, and Vahni dusted cat hair off his chest. "'Sides, what if they can't get enough ta eat? Or they get lonely or...or can't find their way back? I wanna make sure they're all well fed an' fat 'n' happy!" he said, nodding firmly. "An' get all th' milk I can't get 'em. Say!" He perked up suddenly, going from upset to bright and cheery like some mental switch had been flipped, grinning broadly and snapping his fingers.

"I think I got it! Yer favor!" Why hadn't he thought of it before? It was such a brilliant idea! "You'll help me find all th' kittens homes!"

Tally

He hadn't meant to bring Vahni down with his words.  It was only the truth, one that Vahni would have to face soon enough.  Kassian couldn't exactly understand Vahni's strong attachment to the animals.  They were...endearing, it was true, and even he was fond of cats, but it was silly to be so enamored with such fragile—and independent—creatures.

"It's an unkind world," he conceded.  "But it's their nature to roam."

Suddenly Vahni was cheery again.  He was certainly...mercurial.  "Ah..."

Right, well...that hadn't been what Kassian was expecting.  It seemed an easy enough task, finding homes for a few cats.  He did have acquaintances right here in Ketra, and if he needed to he could just ask them to take one of the cats temporarily then get rid of it once Vahni was satisfied—

No.  No, that was deceitful even if Vahni never found out.  If he gave his word, he should honor it.

"I suppose I could do that..."

Rhindeer

If smiles could split faces in two, Vahni's would have been cracked by now. He had half expected Kassian to say no or something. Still didn't look all that thrilled, but who cared? He'd agreed! "REALLY? Oh, thank you! I know th' kittens will be grateful, too!" he said with a grin, and was half-tempted to hug him before he remembered, y'know...that was the guy with the sword and all.

Still beaming, he sat back and looked Kassi over as though seeing him in a new light. This was the scary, criminal Duhjari guy who'd been about ready to gut him and kept going on all mysterious-like about some people who were after him--really, Kassi was painting himself as a shady guy--and yet here he was, agreeing to help him relocate some kittens while they had a friendly sort of chat like old buddies who hadn't started out psycho-killer-and-thief. Not to mention how he'd caught him fawning over the kitten...

"Yer alright, Kassi, y'know tha'?" he finally said. "Ya ain't a bad guy, fer a guy almost killed me."

Stretching, he rose to his knees and started edging toward the entrance. "An' y'know what? Since yer gonna help me, guess I should help ya. Still want tha' healer?"

Tally

"Yes. I'm sure they will be."  Kassian was just humoring Vahni at this point, and not making much of an effort at it.  He didn't bother to disguise his tone, or what it said about just how ridiculous he found the notion that the kittens would be feel gratitude for anything.  They were cats.  They'd deign to stay where they might find food and comfort and perhaps companionship, but finding them homes was less about their gratitude—a laughable thought—and more about Vahni's peace of mind.

"Ah, all right."  Here he would prefer Vahni to use caution, though.  Especially if he went to Sanctuary, and that would be the most likely place to find a healer available for unpaid work.  Those people, they would not hesitate to kill him even while he was lamed.  He knew, for he would not have hesitated either.

"Just don't give my name, Vahni.  Nor any details about me that you can leave out.  The less you say about me the better. Above all else, do not ask the priest Siilan for help."

Rhindeer

Vahni nodded. "Right, right, gotcha. No Siilan guy, no tellin' 'em nothin' 'bout ya. Aye, aye, sir!" He snapped a mock salute and ducked outside, but was gone all of two seconds before he popped his head back in.

"Oi, make sure t' clean up any of th' kitten's shi--er, mess," he corrected with a grimace. His old woman hadn't liked him swearing none and she'd whacked him good every time he did. Now it was just a habit, both out of respect for her memory and stuff and because he expected if he ever did slip, her spirit would come around just to wallop him. "'Kay? An' feed 'em! Got some leftovers in there so make sure they get 'em."

And with that said, he was gone.

---

It was late evening by the time he came back.

Kneeling outside his hovel, Vahni knocked on the wall once before peeking inside. "Good news, Ka--uh, 'Kat'. I gotcha a healer lady!" he said, grinning and waggling his eyebrows, then shuffled to the side so he wasn't blocking the entryway. "Ya might wanna come over here, 'cause it's so small inside. Oh, an' didja make sure t' feed 'n' clean th' kittens? Ah, tha' can wait I guess. Anyway, come see!"

He looked away from Kassi then so he could look at the healer, who was standing a small distance away. She had been disinclined to go inside, which he guessed was smart. It was a bad part of town and there were strange folks about--plus not even he could fool himself into thinking he or his home smelled like peaches. She was all clean and nice and stuff and had come all this way unpaid. That was pretty darned nice!

Tally

Kassian spent the majority of Vahni's absence trying not to go out of his mind with boredom.  Sitting still was difficult for him.  He wanted to be up and doing things.  His hands needed to busy themselves with work, so he did as Vahni asked and cleaned up after the cats.  Once he started cleaning he couldn't stop and straightened up the hovel as best he could, putting into order anything he could reach.  The place was too strange and he was too uncomfortable to doze.

Late in the evening, two pairs of footsteps approached from the alley.  Kassian tensed but it was only Vahni returning at last.  "Aye, I'm coming."

Getting up took more than a bit of work and contortion, and he nearly fell over more than once.  The kittens scattered to the corners of the shack.  When he was up and steady, he hobbled to the makeshift door and out into the alley.  He didn't recognize the healer, thank the gods.

It had been risky to send Vahni to Sanctuary, but it was worth the danger.  He wouldn't be truly safe until he was out of the city.

Rhindeer

As Kassian made his way out into the alley, Vahni bounced anxiously on his toes. Hopefully this lady could help the guy! He'd never dealt with healers much, and had only been to Sanctuary a couple times, when he felt like being all spiritual or something like his old woman taught him. But the spirits were kind of a pain in his ass on a regular basis, so after a few visits he'd decided he didn't need to encourage that by intentionally drawing their attention. He wasn't no rich guy that could provide cream and honey willy-nilly so screw them if they couldn't get that through their heads.

Or...not heads. Whatever.

"So, can ya heal 'im all th' way?" Vahni asked the healer as soon as Kassian was out. He'd filled her in on Kassi's injury when he'd gone to get her, but darned if he knew how healing worked.

"That depends on how bad it is," came the answer. "If it's a fracture or a very clean break, then yes. Now, sit down," she added, directing the last part at Kassi, "and we can get started."

[ooc: She's just an NPC, so feel free to use her! xD I forgot how healed ya wanted Kassi so I'mma let you decide. ^^]

Tally

The alleyway was piled with scraps of rotting wood and discarded pottery.  Kassian chose a crate that looked like it would hold him and hobbled over, waving away the healer's efforts to support him.  He eased his way down, broken leg stretched out before him.

"It looks as though you set this well," she said, kneeling down next to him and hovering her hands over the length of his leg.  "A clean break.  I can hasten the healing and perhaps have you walking again in a couple of days.  Hold still for me."

The air around the healer's hands shimmered and wavered.  It made Kassian's eyes water to look at it.  The kittens began venturing out the door to find Vahni.  "They missed you while you were gone.  We kept each other company, though."

Rhindeer

"Didja, now? Get in some good bondin' time?" Vahni asked, giving Kassi a knowing grin. He could see it now, the big, scary killer guy with a sword being all cutesy with a flock of kittens. C'mon, wasn't like he could deny it! Vahni had seen first hand what the guy had been up to when he hadn't thought Vahni could see.

He settled down cross-legged on the ground beside the crate, curiously watching the healer at work. This magic stuff was always so fascinating, especially to someone like him, who didn't have a lick of it in him.

From the corner of his eye, he saw the kittens start toddling out the door and stretched his legs out in front of him to block them from wandering too far into the alley. A couple climbed into his lap, mewling demands for food and attention, and he scooped them up close. "Stiiiill don't want one?"

Tally

The healer muttered as she work, talking about the clean break in the leg and the state of the splint.  She talked through the whole time she went about the healing.  Nothing Kassian was meant to respond to.  She was just the type who talked to think.

"I'd have nothing to do with a cat," he said.  "And I won't even be in Ketra much longer.  I'm not going to care for a kitten while on the road."

With the healer's help, he'd be out sooner than he'd originally thought.  Perhaps even within a day if the break wasn't too bad.  One thing he wanted to avoid was traveling lame. He wasn't venturing out of the city until he was sure he could defend himself.

Rhindeer

Vahni let out a loud huff that blew his bangs out of his face. Well, he wasn't about to give up yet! Kassi obviously liked the kittens, so dammit, he should have a kitten! If he did, it was one cat that Vahni didn't have to worry about. He'd seen how he interacted with them! There was a soft spot deep down in that murderous, scar sword-wielding soul, same soft spot that had stopped him from from stabbing him when he'd put on his pity-me act.

"Fine, fine. So where ya headed after here, anyhow?"

It didn't occur to him that that might not be an appropriate question to ask with an audience.

Tally

Kassian glanced quietly at Vahni, falling silent.  He didn't speak again until the healer had left them.

"I should get out of Ketra for awhile.  This city has not been kind to me."  Much as he felt at home here in Adela, he may find his fortunes improved in Serendipity.

His leg would be healed enough for travel in some three days, just when he started to wear at Vahni's hospitality.  He tested it, and limped back over to the shack.

Rhindeer

"Oh." Vahni's expression turned guilty and he shifted uncomfortably, fiddling with a strand of hair. He had a feeling that a big part of this unkindness had come from him. After all, he'd swiped his sword and he'd broken his leg in the chase, and while Vahni wouldn't have felt bad about that in any other situation--Kassian was no longer just a faceless target. "Oh. Yeah. Guess not."

Subject change!

"Sooo...outta Ketra, huh?" Vahni asked, gathering up the kittens that had wandered outside and following after Kassian. "Ya been all over, ain'tcha? I've never been nowhere other'n here. Where all ya been?"

Tally

Kassian slid down.  He leaned his head back against the wall of the shack.  He couldn't keep his eyes open.  They drifted shut.  The healing had stolen away any energy he had left.

Yet he didn't feel the need to sleep, only rest himself.  He spoke, eyes still closed.  "The plains, of course, and as far south as Essyrn.  Serendipity, Connlaoth...north to Hyoite.  You should take yourself out of Adela someday.  There's much more of the world to see than this."

Rhindeer

Vahni stared blankly at Kassian. "I dunno what half th' things ya said are," he said, then shrugged and settled back down on the floor of his shack. "Ohhh, so ya adventure an' stuff, huh? That must be fun. I always wanted to get outta here, but dunno what I'd do or where I'd go. Been here all my life, right? So like..."

Perking up, he beamed at Kassian, even though the guy's eyes were shut. "Whatcha do on the plains? Duhjari stuff? Huntin' an' ridin' an' rituals?"