Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thinking interactive maps? ~_^

Started by Anonymous, August 31, 2010, 12:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

It's going to be a while before I'd be able to work on it, but I'm throwing the idea out there to see what you all think, and if there's interest.

I was scrolling down the forums, and was thinking two things:

1) Ack, I need to redraw and update that site map!
2) Wait, wouldn't it be cool to be able to click on the map to go to that area for RP? Ooooo... Maybe the areas can even have popup descriptions on mouse-over!

And then I thought about it some more... it has it's pros and cons. A pro would be easy visual navigation! A con would be not being able to see new postings listed in that area from the map view. Maybe I'm over-reaching a bit, and should just consider having clickable map links to go from the map (where it is now) to the area summaries in the World description section. *shrugs*

I don't know, maybe with some snooping about into coding, a mouse-over could bring up a lot of info, like when last posted to, as well. Or perhaps it can be setup to take you to the main country's catagory (Ex: Clicking on Serendipity on the map will take you to the "Eastern Le'raana - Serendipity" catagory), and all of the sub-catagories will show up as they do now when you click there. That would make expanding in the catagories easier than if all the sub-catagories had a specific map too. If that does work, it might make the main forum scroll shorter, and a bit easier on the eyes.

Not sure if this is making any sense, but will toss it around some more in my head at least. Takes a lot of good thinking before making a big change!

What thoughts do you have on it?

Anonymous

Well, that's an incredibly interesting idea for sure! But I think that Gold has redrawn the map, and is planning on implementing it. I understand what you're thinking of course, an interactive map can be something difficult to make, but it is such a good idea! As far as I know though, Gold redrew the map and that's the one that will be used, but if they like this idea, then shoof! We might go with that!

Anonymous

OMG! I just found Gold's map, it's awesome! *drools* And could still code that cool map to be interactive, if the idea is liked. ~_^