Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Display Names /Name Changing

Started by Paradox, January 18, 2014, 08:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

I honestly feel like there needs to be a limit placed on how many times you can do this in a week or month because recently a number of members (you know who you are) have changed their names and it was somewhat of a headache for myself and the other mods (Spice, Looshi)  figuring out who was who. I figured things out (through reading profiles and remember which player belongs to what character) , but it was still a pain . I know the mods cannot be the only ones who were feeling slightly irritated and confused either.

I'm not suggesting that the feature be abolished, but it'd be nice if there was a limit to this to reduce confusion!

One more thing, I would hope that this is obvious but I am not trying to get anyone in trouble and I am sure it was no one's intention to cause so much confusion but please try to understand things from more than one perspective!

Thanks for reading!

Brisinger987

In my defence, this is my first ever name change, and it's gonna stick around for a while.

Paradox

Oh I know, Bris, and that's perfectly cool. All I am suggesting is for a limit to be placed to protect against the potential occurrence of someone else abusing this feature. As far as I've seen, no one is really guilty of this yet (no, not even Clever-Fox) . It's easy to identify you or Clever through looking at your characters but it's much harder for me to identify someone like Felodas (now SanguineBlade) because he hasn't been here as long or posted quite so much. :) Hope that makes sense. 

Won't even be mad if it doesn't happen ,but I thought it couldn't hurt to just put my thoughts out there. That's all! :)

kleineklementine

Good thing I ran out of alliterative small citrus combinations!

Brisinger987

I blame Kleine for this "epidemic" because you had the mot extreme case of displaynamechangeritis. Now everyone has a mild infection. Shame on you kleine xD

Winters-Feather

Quoteit was somewhat of a headache for myself and the other mods (Spice, Looshi)

I'm a mod too you know...

though yeah it is a bit confusing. But still, sometimes people want a name change. Also in cases like this it's not really fair to be okay with older people to have name changes, but be annoyed at newer people. It was still confusing either way XD Idk if there is a counter for such things? IF it's anyone's control probably could be admins, but I really don't know. If so, then I'd suggest you'd have to go get admin's approval or the like. OR if that's too heavy, then allowing once per month? I really doubt that will be the case, but at least people have a chance to revert their names if they don't like their old ones.

Paradox

Quote from: Winters-Feather on January 18, 2014, 11:39:52 AM
Quoteit was somewhat of a headache for myself and the other mods (Spice, Looshi)

I'm a mod too you know...

though yeah it is a bit confusing. But still, sometimes people want a name change. Also in cases like this it's not really fair to be okay with older people to have name changes, but be annoyed at newer people. It was still confusing either way XD Idk if there is a counter for such things? IF it's anyone's control probably could be admins, but I really don't know. If so, then I'd suggest you'd have to go get admin's approval or the like. OR if that's too heavy, then allowing once per month? I really doubt that will be the case, but at least people have a chance to revert their names if they don't like their old ones.

Apologies! Of course! I don't see you enough, Winters! *cling!*

And I agree which was why I wasn't suggesting that anyone should be entitled to name changes over the other. >> That's why I suggested a limit like 1 change per month or something . Doesn't matter who you are, how much you've posted , how long you have been here etc. 

Admin approval is a good idea too.

But honestly...I really don't see a need for someone to change their username that often. I get that sometimes you pick a username that you're not happy with but if you're needing to change your name once a week then maybe you need to sit back and really think about something you'd be happy with.  Even in jest, these name changes can get pretty obnoxious. But that's my opinion *shrugs*

Winters-Feather

lol i know! i keep on at odd hours X_X

No, i totally get it. It's okay to have fun with a name, but  they're tools, in the end. For identification. So when you mess with them irresponsibly it can be frustrating. That's why I suggested the more lax once a month limit. That way you're still forced to stick with something for a while and hopefully that'll make people think about if they want to change their names or not.

Tally

Let me go fiddle with the admin controls and see if there is an easy way to put an x times per month limit on it! (:

visualspice

I'd have to agree. It can get very confusing very fast since so many people are hopping ont he band wagon all of a sudden to change their id. It's hard to identify who you are if you keep changing ids. No solid id, no solid identity. It's also confusing to new members as well and most presume others know who they are but people who are less active would not have a clue.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Catchmyfallingtears

*Raises Hand* Would now be a bad time to ask if I can change mine? xD

visualspice

*flips pancakes instead of tables*

You people do want to drive me crazy, lol.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Paradox

Thanks, Tally. That would be capital!

LOL! Catching, if you can still do it, then I don't see the harm. One time is not gonna kill us. But like I said, not pushing for the feature to be gone. I just...would appreciate it if people are limited to changing 1 time a month or something so we have time to adjust to people's names instead of "lol I am Epicbeard Man one minute and rolf waffle the next!" and I don't end up clutching my head and screaming, "Oh GOD I don't know anyone anymore!"   xD

Catchmyfallingtears

Lol I just want to shorten my name haha not completely change it so that's good atleast!
And atleast I asked Spice xD

Codestar7

Quote from: Paradox on January 18, 2014, 10:04:06 AM
Oh I know, Bris, and that's perfectly cool. All I am suggesting is for a limit to be placed to protect against the potential occurrence of someone else abusing this feature. As far as I've seen, no one is really guilty of this yet (no, not even Clever-Fox) . It's easy to identify you or Clever through looking at your characters but it's much harder for me to identify someone like Felodas (now SanguineBlade) because he hasn't been here as long or posted quite so much. :) Hope that makes sense. 

Won't even be mad if it doesn't happen ,but I thought it couldn't hurt to just put my thoughts out there. That's all! :)

Don't worry sharkie, I'll be keeping this name. And posting more. xD

Tally

I went through our options and couldn't really find what we're looking for. >_o  Best I could do was let Global Mods view everybody's previous names. D:

Fortunately, I think making a PSA about this every now and then will do the trick! And once we move to Xenforo software, which we're saving up for atm, everyone will be able to see previous names in profiles. (: