Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thanatos Information

Started by Ethereal-Star, December 10, 2014, 02:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethereal-Star

@Rhi-Rhi
Okay, comparing the actual Thanatos page with what's in the wiki and some things don't add up.

My question is, is the wiki page on Thanatos outdated? I am concerned with something regarding a character I wish to put in Thanatos on one of the smaller islands there. Since there was an near-death incident in her past that almost took her life, this is quite an important plot line/past event for Chandra, a character I have already asked before if she would fit in with that nation. The answers I got were all positive but I find I have yet more questions about this.

Since the wiki states that Thanati are for the most part necromancers and the incident in Chandra's past involved a necromancer opponent, should I change the word necromancer to something else? Or perhaps it was a rogue practitioner of a forbidden type of magic? Considering she is deathly afraid of such types it doesn't make sense to put her in Thanatos. Whereas elsewhere it would prove to be a good flaw for her to have, but in Thanatos it just makes her seem irrationally paranoid. And she wouldn't really fit anywhere else anyways. Also curious where a certain NJC of mine would stand in terms of status. I am guessing he would also be a Khan since he is one of Chandra's teachers of her unique fighting style. But want to make sure. The most important question though is regarding the necromancer first and foremost.

Any help?

Rhindeer

Yikes, the wiki is veeery outdated! xD

I updated things on the site while the wiki was dead and hadn't been able to fix the wiki! D8 I would say necromancy definitely happens on Thanatos, considering their affinity with divination and speaking with the dead (which is, technically, a form of necromancy). I would also say it's a pretty taboo form of magic, and would render a person Untouchable at the very least if they showed an affinity/interest in it, and that defiling bodies ain't a good thing. Butchers are considered Untouchable, so I think playing around with dead bodies would do it, too! Fear of necromancy is also what got them kicked out of Le'raana and onto the isles, when some Thanati started dabbling and spooked other people, so I'd say they definitely don't like that form of magic!

Which, of course, doesn't mean people aren't sneaky enough to get around that and exist in normal society...>_> Or practice their magic on the outskirts of society. Some practitioners probably don't go around murdering people to practice, and are probably just eccentric and curious, but some probably do go down the darker path. There are probably even cults.

So I'd say this works perfectly with your character's history. 8D And I think she'd still fit, since it wouldn't be a common thing at all.

I did a few minor edits to http://www.spiritsoftheearth.net/thanatos.php to clarify that, since you raised good questions I somehow completely missed! xD I've also erased the Thanatos wiki page so I can plop up the new and updated one!

As for your NPC, he could definitely be a Khan if you wanted him to be.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Ethereal-Star

@Rhi-Rhi
That definitely helps, thanks. Giving this some more thought today, here is a breakdown of what could have happened in her past.

-There is a secret cult devoted to summoning and raising the dead as well as experimenting on magical and non-human creatures. This cult would all be NPC's though. These types are called Raisers and Necromantic Warriors, and they are both considered taboo to the rest of Thanatos society. It would be these types that Chandra is afraid of. The warrior necromancers also wield some nasty evil-tainted weaponry, the exact effects have yet to be decided upon. This is how Chandra got the scar on her face.

-So Chandra is seen practicing her martial arts style somewhere secluded, and the cult had heard about her and her father being descended from the gods-and decided she would make an easier target. Their intentions being to kill her with a weapon that would make her severely weak due to her celestial blood and then take her body back to their cult base to experiment on her.

-However their plan is thwarted when Arto (Chandra's father) and some others from the Temple come upon her as she is dying and immediately rush her to the Flesh Sculptors to save her. The necromancer opponent had since disappeared without being able to cart her away as he didn't want to risk being seen and so escaped without her.

-The Flesh Sculptors help in saving Chandra in the very nick of time and without their help she would have died. She still bears emotional scars from this too in SotE's current timeline. Also Chandra was also in part saved by their goddess Inima, as the goddess herself saw use for Chandra alive, and not dead, and so blessed the Flesh Sculptors temporarily in order to achieve this so she wouldn't perish. This would be from the background obviously as I'm sure a goddess would have very long reaching powers. In other words, it wasn't time for Chandra to pass just yet so Inima also intervened too.

-Chandra is saved but as a result still bears some scars (one physical scar and others more mental/psychic) from this encounter therefore giving her cause to fear these necromancers.

-The others have searched for this cult but to no avail as they are well hidden. Some even suspect illusion magic may be at work but nothing has been proven. However they are still out there, and perhaps still interested in using Chandra for their own vile ends?

-To this day, nothing else of that nature has happened but it could make for some interesting RP opportunities.

Does all this sound okay?