Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

What would you like to see in SotE?

Started by Rhindeer, May 03, 2007, 12:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

I'd like to know! ^__^

Yush! So like I said...what would you like to see in SotE? What would make the game more fun for you? Any plots you want to see? Any new features you'd like? Any new locations you think would be awesome? Anything at all?

I'm just curious, because of course I'm always trying to make the game better and more fun for everyone all around, and I listen to and am open to suggestions. So yeah! Go ahead and share your opinions and ideas!

We already got a lot of great ideas generated. Yay!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Lotsa things. BUT! The one thing I'd like to see is...bear with me on this...gangs.
You're probably staring at your screen going, "Ohemgee, what is she talking about?" XD

But I'm making one for my characters, but it'd be good if we had a list of "common/notorious gangs" or something like that. If played correctly, it could add a little more excitement or a sort of challenge. "Defeat this gang and recieve status..." or something like that. ^-^; Of course there'd be a system as to how many gangs were around so that things don't get too out of hand. (Maybe one for every location. So Adela gets one, Connaloth gets one, and so on.)

I'm done now. ^^;;

Anonymous

oh, i like that idea!

Rhindeer

Eee! The gang idea sounds awesome! That could be really fun and cause a lot of fun plots and trouble, bwahah! And...I'd so throw some characters into the gangs. o.o Either as gang members or victims. XP

But no, I really like that idea. It'd definitely add spice to the areas and be a good way to stir things up. Also, with the gangs and trouble-makers, it also gives people the opportunity to play teh AUTHORITAH! And then there would be conflict between the governments and stuff. And...haha. What if like some gangs ruled certain parts of the towns? Hell...different gangs could stand for different things, too...like one could even be a mafia type one. I dunno! xD If that makes any sense.

Oh, also...I was talking to Draco, and she had a good idea.

Connlaoth's gang would probably be more secretive-like, since their military is pretty crazy and organized and...well...militant and highly structured. They also really patrol their streets hardcore-like.

Adela, however...man. The gang would probably have a good ol' time there, because Adela is sort of...well...messed up and chaotic right now. See, their king went MIA, so now they have my character, Yuri, as their leader, helped out by Tarlaka, the military commander and Draco's character. The kingdom is very disorganized right now and the army is a mess. In a nutshell? It would probably be pretty easy to infiltrate the castle...>8D

So if you wanted to do a plot where a gang does something like that...I humbly offer up Adela for plotting and infiltration goodness and stuff! Bwahah! It could be a big, fun plot. o.o

So, that's a waaay wordy way of saying: *THUMBS UP!* I love the idea!
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

Yes, believe it or not ladies and gents... I do have good ideas...

That is all.

Anonymous

OH MY GOD I LIKE THAT IDEA!!! AND I HAVE ONE TO!!!

Yeah, spaztastic!

Okay. Well, the Theif Guild in peoples post that I have read: Has a bar, has a sitting room, has a dining room, has a dungeon/basement, has one story, has two stories, lotsa different rooms, not to many rooms, and the list go's on and on... If you could set how many floors it has, lotsa rooms, little rooms, if it has a bar/restuarnt-ish-thing, etc... But of course leaving it not restricted so we could throw random things in if we'd like. ^^

And every "guild" I've ever read about had a Major Boss dude or dudette, and like a set of spies and assians and were all decked out and fancy and stuff!!! And it could cause rebeillion and problems that people have to pay, good leaders, bad leaders, all those fun things!

Yeah, I'm done...

Anonymous

Well, since school is winding down and I don't have to take most of my finals (score!) Eclipse will be back to running again...or as much as it did before. <.<
But anywho, back on subject.
I agree with the gang's idea, but I think people should do more with the 'Organizations' part of the board, since there's only about five organizations, and all have fallen into disuse.
It would be a good source of conflict (rival guilds, guilds vs. governments, etc.).

Another thing that might be fun (although a potential pain) would be a site-wide event type thing. I think somebody said somewhere that a large-scale war is too big of a headache, so how about a plague or something? >.>

Rhindeer

Yeah, I definitely think the gangs could go under organizations. And I'd love to see more organizations actually, well...do stuff. xDD

Also, I agree with Mona--we should all really get a consensus of what the main buildings and stuff look like (the castles, barracks, guild, etc.) and then I'll write up the information so that there's a general idea about it. So that, you know...a building doesn't go from being one story to two and back. xDD Also, the idea of leaders for the thief's guild would be great! I know back in the day that's how it used to be (in fact, my character Sachi who I rejoined [and who I am gonna post, Mona!] used to be the original leader. xD Then I quit her and...revamped her). If anyone feels up to the challenge of taking up that position, go for it! Of course, the leadership can also be fluid. You know, people could probably challenge for that position and the like. Of course, the players who played these leaders would have to agree to be active and dedicated. ^_~

I know one thing I personally would love to see is...religious conflict. It sounds so silly, I know, and maybe it's just me, but I've always just found something inherently fascinating about that topic, and what makes it even more fascinating to me is that it's a very complex subject: people honestly believing that they are right and that their actions are for the good of everyone else, even though they might be causing harm in the way they go about it. To me, it's just...well, the psychology of it is amazing. >_> I mean, just how people are so willing to die for their cause and dedicate their lives to such things, even to the point of self sacrifice. I mean...it's just...seems like such a small thing, but even in our own world today, well, look at it. It's such a powerful motivator; people fight and start wars over it, justify slavery with it...all sorts of stuff.

Something like that started a few years ago when Talyafera (who vanished T_T) introduced her Lumenari and Solisi, and I've been playing a Lumenari/Solisi character for a while. But Tal's idea never really got off the ground because life kicked in and she had to go. The main idea, though, was that they were a religious, fanatical group who believed they were doing good in trying to convert others--however, their methods of doing it sometimes came down to harassment and torture and the like, though they as people weren't bad...they believed they were in the right and justified.

So I've really just always thought it would be fun to have something like that. ^_^ Because it seems like it could be really interesting on a large scale. But that could just be me because I dig that kinda stuff. xD

Also...I think a war could be done well if it was built up the right way. It would just take a lot of participation on the parts of a lot of people, and a lot of planning, IC and OOC, to build it up and then actually carry it out. And of course it would have to include other elements so it wasn't just about the hack and slash. A plague could also be really fun.

Hell, even both. I've been kinda itching for a big, site-wide plot (though of course people can opt out of it).

I see ways to implement one, too...like, for example, through the gangs. What if a gang or some sort of organization creates and releases a disease of some sort?

Heck, me and Shizzy were even talking about, well...we have a plot going (which I also need to post to, ahem!) involving, well...drug trafficking in Connlaoth. xDD Sounds weird, I know, but hear me out. They're magic-created, which is...automatically bad because, well, Connlaoth. However, Connlaoth does have an underground group of insurgents--mages who are known to cause terrorism there. There have been wars in our world in the past that have involved drugs. For instance, opium in Japan and China in the past. When people are addicted to something, they become vulnerable and dependent upon that substance and if it's widespread enough, it can become devastating to a country. And if there was a widespread dependency upon magic-based drugs in, say, Connlaoth...that would become noticed by the government, and it would be a big problem if higher ups got inadvertantly addicted. They would probably suspect another kingdom or some group of doing it. And then at the same time, if the trafficking reached another kingdom and caused a problem there, say one of the magic-based kingdoms...they might suspect Connlaoth, who is in opposition of them, for sabotaging them. Bam, tension.

It'd basically be like a virus or a disease. I mean, well, they say addiction is a disease. And of course withdrawels would not be fun. It'd be a bit messy and complicated, bwaha. Ahaha...and I even remember ages ago Nightcandle had mentioned a plot idea like this in an IM. Connlaoth's gunpowder, if I recall correctly...>_> could be sniffed, so to speak. She was gonna write up the information for that, too, but...life, alas! x3

Anyway...gangs could be used to distribute the stuff.

And...uh...my thought process is dying and I don't even know if what I said made sense. Just throwing out a lot of random ideas and possibilities. xD

Anonymous

Shizzy was mentioned! This pleases him! Ahem.

I like the idea of things like the religious wars, and we DO need people to help with the distribution of drugs and what not in our Connlaoth rp. Also we need Rhi to post. Lazy bum. Ahem. But I'm gonna try to help with the religious war thing that Rhi wants to do, and as well I want her to get all posty posty with our Drug ring thing in Connlaoth! Mwahahahahar~

Anonymous

I'd like to see a nice sote wide plot. The virus things was good....or something else...whatever.

And more rhi asnwering me on msn!

Anonymous

QuoteI know one thing I personally would love to see is...religious conflict.
Dude. I was going to suggest that! XD Though I was thinking more along the lines of one of the countries, like Adela, (which may be ripe for this) as a whole become religious... somewhat like how the Roman empire became Catholic (and ruled by the religion), and then tried to make others convert. It would give a second 'conflict point' to the SoE world.

Gang thing sounds good - could get a black market going for more than just magic in Connlaoth... perhaps gunpowder and muskets in other countries?

Oooh, and the slave trade thing. I noticed that it seems 'legal' for the most part in this relm, so perhaps play it up a bit more. Just think of all the places that could go. Slave rebellions and escapees, people who attack slaver caravans to 'free' the slaves, slaves getting their important political leaders in Connlaoth addicted to the magic-made drug.... *grins*

Another possibility besides physical war (or along with) - political war and maneuvering. While not particularly fond of it, I can probably twist up a good, convulted political scheme for anyone who wants to try and pull the clues together to get 'the truth.' Wether to free a political friend or captive, or destroy a political 'enemy,' or try to end sensless bloodshed by 'cutting off the head.'

Just remembered another of the ideas - library/scholary learning. Yes, it is set in a type of period where most books were in private libraries, or private schools for those with money. Perhaps, the Necromantia Isles (being long-lived necromancers) would have the best literature collections, and a good place to have the 'center of learning' for the relm? ~_^ It would be something unique that would draw people to venture there for learning, and perhaps another point of interest.

*last brain fart* Hmm... what if there's a plague, that causes disruption in trading, so that the drug Connlaoth politicians got addicted to is scarcer, driving them to rash action to feed their habits, and causing political strife between those addicted and those not? And, a second result of the plague would be less 'wealth' generated by the nation, and maby a famine when many slaves are brought and bought to replace lost citizens in the crop fields... after planting season. Slaves get restless, minor rebellions which become more organized by (insert rebelion leader). Some Connlaoth and fleeing slaves flee into southern and western country neighbors, perhaps causing conflict with them. And something small, like an accidental Connlaoth soldier's death (of a high-born of course) at one of the border crossings sparks off a war. Boom, big SoE wide plot. Add details as needed. (:

But for now, I'm going to see if I can get a few of my old RP buddies to show up.... right after some sleep and a day of running around places. lol

Anonymous

*cat jumps up and down* Cat already gave you her good idea... on the whole death/graveyard place. Where you can creat death certificates for you dead characters and such and spirits can reside there too!

Anonymous

-coughsandprodsLokifoward-

Mona's being active and she came back from at least 3 months suspension... Does that count as being dedicated? I have this super-d-duper theif-y lady! I actually wrote her character for a Theif Lordess in a story that died that I was writing...

But yeah, if no one else steps foward for the Theif Guild..

Next!

Aruku had a good point with the Ardea thing, and that's a cool idea! And the gang thinks can defenetly help with just about all things in this, plauges, wars, illeagal smuggling....

The Slave trade and the Library. If I notice correctly, Necromancia needs more action! And the politcal war can be not only in one area, but in a lot of kingdoms.

But here's this: Do we wanna start to many plots at once? Si, they can all join in with each other, but if we have to many things going on at once, it'll be confusing sometimes...

And Mona likes Cat's idea!!!!

Rhindeer

Took me a while to respond here! Been uber busy, finals, blargh >_<

Well then Mona! If you want to take up the challenge of running the thief's guild...I say go for it! xD

Also, Necromantia does need more action and I love the idea of a library there. 8D That'd be awesome! Similarly, I'm going to revamp Necromantia's political system because, well...originally the person who submitted the idea was going to be in charge of all that, but since he vanished...>_> I'm gonna just redo all that and the players can thus be in charge of the leaders and all that. Is there anyone who would be interested in running Necromantia, playing any leaders and all that? ^_^ Of course, you'd have to be willing to be active!

Speaking of, I am going to be picking up Adela's activity as soon as my finals are over on Tuesday. Since I play the leader, I need to, well...build that kingdom up. x3

As for doing too many ideas at once...well, they wouldn't all happen at the same time! x3 The way I see it, it would be a gradual build up, starting out slow with, say, first introducing the gangs and getting them involved in small stuff. You know, slave trade, drug smuggling, causing a little havoc here and there...and then gradually building it up to more intense things as the drug trade starts to take hold, as slaves finally start to try and rebel...a slow progression of events that eventually grow and lead to, well, political turmoil! xD So we could start with the gangs, and yeah, just have it grow. That would spawn more plots naturally!

I see a lot of room for political maneuvering, too...we need more people to join nobility!

And yay for religious conflict! *does a dance!* that would be another little addition to the overall conflict of everything. A new religion coming in like Shizzy mentioned, and I also like Aruka's idea of perhaps turning one of the kingdoms into a religious state. I...had actually pondered that a long time ago, and, well, I'd be willing to sacrifice Adela. xDD Ahem. I mean, Adela is pretty much a mess right now, so it'd be easy. o.o

Oh yeah! Some other ponderings I had:

Cultural stuff in the kingdoms, aside from obvious differences like Connlaoth is against magic and Necromantia is all about death and whatnot. I was thinking more along the lines of questions like:

1.) Views on gender in the kingdoms. In Connlaoth and Adela, at least, women serving in the military and whatnot is not unusual at all. Adela's military commander is a woman, and Connlaoth has a lot of female soldiers. But what about Serendipity? And Necromantia? And aside from it being alright for women to serve in the military, what is their status outside of that? What about men? And what are the expected social norms for gender roles and the like in the various kingdoms?

2.) Views on homosexuality in the different kingdoms.

3.) Views on religion in the different kingdoms. Is there a dominant religion? Are there any holidays? I was thinking it'd be fun to give different kingdoms different holidays which could actually be played out in-game at specific times of the year. I know waaay back in the day, SotE had an equinox ball once in Adela and that was really a hit. 8D

4.) Views on different races in the other kingdoms.

It'd be interesting to flesh this stuff out, because it could give each kingdom its own interesting cultural flavor and make playing in each kingdom more of a unique experience. ^_^ It could also create interesting conflicts and tensions.

So what are your guys' opinions on these things?

And my last idea...with the in-character news section, I think it could be fun to write articles and stuff regarding various plotty happenings in SotE, especially if we all decide to work on these big plots and whatnot. It could be fun! Like...an SotE newspaper of sorts. And people could write and submit articles and whatnot. Dunno how to work it, because my brain is mush right now, biut it's an idea. ^_^

Thoughts?

Anonymous

i love the religion thing. I'm happy to play a preacher of some sort who goes in to take advantage of Adela's condition, or somesuch.

Anonymous

I'd like more opportunities for nobles and higher ranks to interact with commoners and other characters, which make up the vast majority of the characters on this board, obviously. I'm not sure how this could be accomplished but I've been itching to submit a demonic noble and company of mine, but I'm scared that I won't be able to do anything with them since interaction between nobles and other characters always has to be so terribly planned out. ;_; Any site-wide plot movements that would bring classes together would be fantastic, I think.

Anonymous

You can do that whenever you like with your characters. You can even make them play hookie. The only thing that really needs site plotting is some sort of desctruction, other than that, its up to the players. I honestly can't think of anything that would make any kind of sense that would bring the classes together xD

But, as long as you don't plan on blowing anything up/stealing a throne (only things i can think of that need big plotting), you're free to do whatever you like with your noble peoples. :3

Anonymous

ZOMG! We should have a ball! Everyone's charries can get all purdied up and they can dance and it can be all sparkly and pretty and romantic and...and....*drops over*

Umm...Sorry bout that...I'm in a weird uber girly, romantic mood and the idea popped into my head...but I think it would be cute..Have one for like each of the kingdoms or something...

Anonymous

What about natural disasters? Volcanic eruptions in the mountains. Hurricanes hitting the Isles. Earthquakes. Floods. Tornadoes. Forest Fires. :3 I'm just the one for destruction, aren't I? <.<

Also, has a solar eclipse ever happened? >.>

Anonymous

I like the two ideas above! Natural disasters might need to be only once in a while though, so that we don't have mass deaths in all kingdoms. That'd cause cultural collapse. O_o It'd have to be a big, site-wide event that affected everyone - directly for those who are located in the kingdom or region where it happens, and indirectly for those in all other kingdoms and areas.

A series of balls would be awesome. Maybe, to give cause, a continental holiday could be declared. This would allow for all classes to party like it's 1999, not just balls for the nobility (though that is equally as win :3). Not sure what the national holiday would be declared for, though. It would have to be some really positive event. Maybe...something that starts out non-political.

Or I'd suggest start dating holidays for different. In example, Necromantia's Libris Sanctus holidays could take place in some pre-determined week in the fall around the autumnal equinox officially, as well as the winter for those thin-veil, Entropis-worshipping days. Officially declared holidays like this would spawn balls and festivals in that corresponding roleplaying area. That way, anyone who wanted to get in on it could just have their characters travel to the region/kingdom where it was taking place and make like-minded posts. All you'd have to do is identify in your post if you're at a ball or a festival or not. Easy as pie. :3

It'd just be a matter of informing everyone. This might be via a big, fat temporary sticky announcing that a holiday was coming soon in a certain area or something and would be continuing through a specific week or something. Of course, posts that were continuing beyond that time would be assumed to be inside the holiday still so that we wouldn't have people having to drop already existing posts just because the holiday ended in real-time. Letting everyone know might be the tricky part, but as long as you throw the information out there where everyone can see or at least be aware of it, the rest is up to the players if they want their characters to participate or not.