Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Where Mountains Rise [Nephero]

Started by Nightcrawler, August 10, 2023, 10:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightcrawler

Jewel-of-Northwood responded to Ven's concern as though he'd been informed of the presence of one well-known and ornery mountain goat, and not some massive and otherworldly monster. Even as he drew a bow and sought the source of that noise, the man was strangely calm. So. This truly was a regular occurrence to these folk. Jewel had said as much in his study, but Ven had not fully grasped what it meant until now: that this forest and its creatures were strange and dangerous in a way that made the bears and moose and wildcats of Ven's homeland seem like docile beasts in a fairytale for children. He swallowed audibly, still frozen in place at the very back of the shelter, as Mr. Jewel informed him of the plan. He nodded.

"Yes. Alright," he managed, and began to pick himself up off of the pile of rock that he had pressed himself into like a limpet. He retrieved the not-his-matchbox and stowed it in a pocket, then ducked out the mouth of that shallow cave and into the clearing. As he passed close to the man, he could feel it: his hunting had done its work. It was a small comfort, but he was glad of it.

Ven had just enough time to begin to lament the loss of his walking stick, and the labor involved in carving yet another, when Jewel spoke up.

"She says thank you for not squishing the bugs."

Ven startled. "Hh — what?" He glanced between the man and his hand, then back at the man again. He thought back to the wall in the garden. The pieces began to coalesce. Very briefly, he wondered if it was rude to ask, but his nerves and curiosity got the better of him. "You...you speak to the stone, don't you?" he blurted out. "And the spirits in the stone speak back." His jaw worked up and down as he processed the implications of this revelation: that the stone itself was alive. And that the beliefs of his own people — beliefs that he had long held a lofty skepticism towards — were true. If not in his homeland, then here, at least, in this place that dwelled somewhere on the edge between dream and nightmare.

Something about this new information had overridden his fear of the monster. He looked the outcropping over as he mulled how best to ask the many questions that now bubbled within him. "How?" he added.

nephero

Jewel's skin prickled, a static shock of feeling running over his arms and condensing in his chest as the sheer embarrassment of drawing that much attention settled in. Because of course Ven wouldn't know anything about it, foreigners rarely did, and Jewel knew that. If he'd thought for more than a second, he might not have said anything at all.

But then, that would have been terribly rude, because the message had been said for Ven, and there was very little chance of the man understanding all on his own. Jewel chewed at his cheek, and turned to make sure he had everything still packed away in his satchel just to give him something else to focus on. A quick glance showed that Ven's feet were still pointed towards him, and he took a breath in preparation.

"It's not the stone. Not just stone, anyway." Jewel gestured for Ven to follow as he strode away opposite the path Sealgaire ocrach had created, footsteps light and quiet as he stepped over large, bulbous roots.

"I can talk to the Neighbors. Well... I can understand them, they tolerate my accent, mostly, it's awful. The one in the garden I've known for years, Caomhnóir, same with her, Mháthair bheag-- careful of the mud, there." Jewel ducked around a low-hanging branch, and soon settled on a narrow trail that was barely visible amongst the lush undergrowth, "The ones outside the wall, they don't know much Trader, usually. I've tried teaching a few wisps but they just want to play games and carry on, you know. Too young."

VIGILANCE WALKING THE TOAST
Characters here!

__guilds, yo__
The Territok Orcs // The Oratok Orcs // Fausteth // The Ashmen

Nightcrawler

Ven fell in behind the healer.

"Neighbors," he echoed. Was it their word for spirits? If so, it was a curious one, for it spoke more of symbiotic coexistence than of offerings and worship. "...But they are not of one object?" he continued as he wove through the underbrush. He held an arm up to keep the low branches from whipping him in the face. One did anyways, and he sputtered and spat out needles. It did not deter his singular train of thought. "I mean to say — the spirit in the stone is not just a stone spirit? ...And was that monster a Neighbor, too?"

The thought unnerved him. He recalled again that white-hot not-a-soul that had seared him and sent the demon reeling. Were all of these Neighbors so powerful? The more he considered it, the more he felt very small. He was but a mouse in this forest, and so, it seemed, was Mr. Jewel. He picked up his pace and followed the man as closely as he safely and comfortably could.

"Careful of the mud, there."

Ven did mind the mud, though the futility of it wasn't lost on him. Any effort that he had put into picking twigs from his hair and brushing dirt from his clothes was now erased by more of the same. "I don't think I can be any muddier than I am already," he replied wryly. "Ah...though...I am sorry again about your floors. And...that you had to leave such a nice place to trudge through these woods." He trailed off at the end. Until now, he had been so preoccupied with his own predicament that he had hardly realized what a burden he was. The man hadn't even slept before setting off into the night. Ven had not seen him eat, either. And though he hadn't caught sight of a wife or children in that wondrous house, he doubted that this Jewel-of-Northwood's absence would go entirely unnoticed.

And here he was, asking about the nature of the world like some babbling child. Ven cleared his throat awkwardly. He resolved, from here on, to keep his questions to a minimum. He would keep his senses perked for signs of danger, and he would help the man get where he was going as quickly as possible this night. He squared his shoulders. Yes. That was better.

nephero

"You don't need to be sorry. I like trudging through the Wood." Jewel looked over at him to spare a quick but genuine smile, before returning to concentrating on the trail. His head moved on a constant swivel, this way and that, and he pointed now and again to alert Ven of particularly tall roots or a deep pit of mud and leaves. In the rain's absence, the overwhelming scent of green and earth rose up, and Jewel breathed deep the petrichor.

He really liked trudging through the Wood. Lack of sleep or proper rest had hardly stopped him before, and while he had made sure to make his home exactly how he wanted it, there really was no replacing the feel of bark beneath his hand or the sensation of soft earth beneath his boots. If he was being honest with himself, Ven just provided an extremely convenient excuse.

Still, the poor man did look rather miserable. A couple more glances solidified that particular theory-- he'd gone very silent and stoic, and while Ven was not complaining of the mud or the cold, it could hardly have been so pleasant for him. After all, his only time in proper shelter had been a prison and a brief look at some maps.

The branches of the trees creaked overhead, moving with the passing of wind above the canopy. Now and again, moonlight peeked through the cover of clouds, catching only where it could be best reflected in puddles and waxy leaves. It was not yet dawn by the time the trees began to thin, bush and vine choking for the extra space granted by just that much more sky. Eventually even that faded, and Jewel stepped from the last of the treeline to look over the rolling rocky hills of the highlands.

Jewel stopped, and pointed to one such hill, where a thick stone fort struck a silhouette against the slowly lightening sky.

"There it is. Not much further, now."

His earlier enthusiasm was by this point losing the battle to his need for rest, and so he hurried them along until they were climbing the staired path up to the fort's doors. The wood had long rotted away, leaving only the frame in which the door had previously stood, and moss threatened to overtake much of what remained. Still, the roof held strong even after being abandoned so long ago, and Jewel led his patient inside to where the walls could provide a much better shelter against the wind and the damp.

He looked around, made a soft 'aha' sound, and pulled a stone from where it rested amongst a particularly stubborn bit of bramble that had wormed its way through the cracks. He pulled two bags from the cache, and brought them over to the clear spot on the fort floor, where he rolled out a leather mat and woolen blanket for each of them.

"Would you see if there's still some good firewood somewhere? Might still be a chair or two left."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Nightcrawler

Jewel-of-Northwood had to be the first...civilized...man he'd met who claimed to enjoy leaving the comforts of a warm, dry home in favor of a cold, dark, soggy forest. No — by that smile, he genuinely did enjoy it. Indeed, Mr. Jewel continued to challenge many of Ven's assumptions. The man had quickly become another line in a long mental list of enigmas, noted just below the arcane, spirits, and being chased and yelled at for being a "vem-pyre". All of this was not to say that Ven disliked the wilderness. On the contrary, he much preferred it to the stench and the cacophony and the nonsense rules of city life. He simply needed to dry off and be more man than mud and detritus again. And to have a hot bath. And to sit by a fire with some tea and a pile of too many biscuits and a book that he could actually read.

For now, though, Mr. Jewel had promised a shelter and rest, and that would have to be enough. And, when they finally broke free from the underbrush and gazed out over an eternity of windswept hills under a vast predawn sky, the man pointed to such a shelter. He sounded weary. Ven could not blame him. Yet that old fort called to him: a distant echo of a feeling that he could not define. It was like...an old friend, somehow. Like home. And so, as the healer burnt through the last of his energy, Ven redoubled his own pace, intent on answers to a question that had not yet coalesced.

The door was gone. The view from the top was all wrong. So was the shape of the fort, and the stone that had been used to raise it. The air smelled different, too: less tree and snow, more rock and soil. Still, as Ven's fingers slid across the rough wall, he felt a tingle at the back of his neck. "I could swear..." he murmured. His voice echoed against the ceiling. Behind him, on the other side of that cavernous room, Jewel-of-Northwood dug around for a cache.

"Would you see if there's still some good firewood somewhere? Might still be a chair or two left."

"Hmm?" Ven snapped to again. Of course. He could mull this uncanny feeling over once the man had settled in to rest. For now, a fire was the most pressing matter. "Ah. Yes. My apologies, I...let me look." He stooped and felt his way along the wall until he found a recess in which layers of heavy, tarred canvas had been packed tight. The former occupants had clearly wanted to keep something bone-dry. It seemed as likely a spot as any. "Here, I think," he called over his shoulder. Then, wary of the spiders that had no doubt made their home beneath the tarpaulin, he pulled the bundle out and dragged it across the floor towards the long-dead hearth.

"There is fatwood here, by the smell. And other kindling. And the larger pieces are quite dry," Ven reported with a note of admiration. He straightened up and glanced over at Mr. Jewel, who had laid two bedrolls out. It was a kind gesture, but... "Mm," Ven added. The man did not know. Well. At least he would be all the more comfortable for it. In the meantime, Ven stacked wood for the fire, building it in such a way that they would not burn through their supplies in half a day. When it was time, he produced that same, strange box, struck a match on the side of the hearth, and carefully lit the pile of dry grasses and kindling.

"I thank you, but I cannot sleep," he said at last. "Exposure will not do me any harm. You should take both." He watched the flames lick the kindling. The fatwood burst to life. Finally, it seemed that the risk had passed of their fire fizzling out. He stood again and, out of sheer habit, began to seek a kettle. Surely these people had their priorities straight when it came to tea and stew and bathing. He made for the recess in the wall again and began to dig around. "Mr. Jewel," he grunted, his cloak rolled up over his shoulder and his hand driven halfway into the cache. His fingers closed around a spiral of something cold. A handle. He tugged. It was a small iron kettle, and it was oiled well against the elements. "Good. Yes. Ah...is there a spring nearby? Some source of water? I find myself in need of tea again."

nephero

"Ah, excellent," Jewel said in regards to the firewood. That would burn much better than half-rotted and forgotten furniture, and he continued to set up their rest area while Ven tended to the hearth to get them some much needed dryness and warmth. Jewel only paused as Ven mentioned his inability to sleep.

Brows knit, Jewel looked up from his task to consider him.

"You... cannot sleep?" He had not heard of anything or anyone that did not require at least some form of it.

Another element to his mystery ailment? Or had that been something in existence before? A question amongst many to answer, it would seem. Jewel hummed in thought, and then dug through his own satchel to pull out a stack of paper sewn between two wooden boards, and a piece of charcoal formed into a pencil.

He was sharpening the latter into a more usable point when Ven asked for a source of water. Jewel paused, thinking of the last he'd come to this little fort, and then nodded in memory.

"There is a well. It is out in the remnants of the courtyard," he gestured to the open door, "around to the left. Just be careful, I'm not sure how steady the stone is anymore."

The last thing Jewel wanted was the poor man falling to his death at the bottom of the well. That would be a very unfortunate loss of life in a very silly way, and for some reason Jewel could not shake the idea that such a passing was entirely too undignified for the other man. Perhaps it was the way Ven spoke, or perhaps it was simple wishful thinking. After all, no one liked considering humiliating deaths, at least not for anyone they personally held in any kind of esteem.

"...And that stone is not a Neighbor, so it cannot be asked for a kindness." Jewel added as an afterthought, giving an apologetic sort of smile.

He returned to sharpening the charcoal, and once he was finally satisfied with the point, he moved to sit a bit closer to the hearthfire, both for warmth and for better light. Opening the papers, Jewel selected a fresh page and began his notations.

Patient arrived in care as a consequence of a minor criminal offense. 

Initial refusal of care: citation of an underlying Malady presenting a danger to other life forms. 
  • Patient states physical distance is optimal for prevention of harm to other life forms.
  • Patient states the need to siphon life from other entities. Includes plantlife, insectlife, animallife, and humanlife in scope of consumption. Other forms of life yet undetermined.

Physical symptoms:
Patient has refused closer examination, due to the nature of the Malady.
Patient possesses some peculiar physical characteristics:
  • Ocular region affected
  • Generally pale and ashen complexion
  • Patient states immunity to illness and injury relating to extended exposure to the elements. Patient was visibly exposed to weather (rain, mud, cold) without apparent detriment to overall health.
  • Unknown if this is a normal presentation, or a result of the Malady
  • Observation of physical activity suggests a general good health.

Cognitive symptoms:
  • Patient is able to speak clearly, with affectation suggesting no detriment to his reasoning capabilities.
  • Patient is unable to read Serenian script, while understanding Serenian spoken language. Patient seemed to be surprised by this, suggesting that he is normally able to read.
  • Patient is mobile, with no evidence of difficulties with fine motor skills.
  • Patient expresses a lack of need to sleep?

Primary symptom is a form of amnesia:
  • Patient is able to freely recall his own name
  • Patient is incapable of recalling his homeland, but is able to recognize that he is not presently in his homeland.
  • In addition to the above: Patient possesses some general cultural knowledge. Patient sang a song, but stated that he could not recall if it was a song from his homeland. Song was not identified. Patient has expressed surprise at Neighbor presence - it is unlikely that patient's point of origin is within the Queendom or surrounding lands. Patient was not able to recognize points on several maps provided.

Key point: Patient was not taken by the Northwood during trespassing period.
Further information is needed.

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Nightcrawler

Good. There was water. Perhaps now he could feel a little more like himself. With a considerable degree of effort, Ven lifted the heavy kettle and made for the open door. He paused in the archway, hand pressed again to the cold stone as the healer reassured him that the well was not inhabited by a spirit. "Thank you," he replied. "I shall return shortly."

He had expected the bucket to be rotted, the chain rusted, the well dry. It was miraculously, however, in serviceable condition, and the water that he drew forth from it was clear. Dragging the full kettle back took some doing. He stopped frequently and cursed its weight, and each time, that drudgery brushed against some vestige of the before. Every second spent on this windswept hill, within this ancient fort, stoked that uncanny feeling that he had been here before. That this was the echo of a place that he had known intimately and found safety in.

Finally, Ven managed to return to the hearth and, wincing and skirting Mr. Jewel as best as he could, he hoisted the kettle to hang above the fire. He stepped back and wiped his hands on his cloak. "There," he panted. "Good. Ah...tea. Hmm." He rifled through his satchel, shoving the clutter this way and that as he searched for a particular jar. He shot the man an embarrassed look as he withdrew it. "You are welcome to some, if you would like. Though...this is not nearly of the kind or quality that you shared with me earlier. And...we haven't any cups." He seemed hesitant even to offer, as though he was certain that Mr. Jewel would take offense to peasant tea drunk from a kettle. Grumbling a little beneath his breath, he set the jar on the stone mantle, left the water to boil, and found a less-damp patch of floor on which to sit and pass the time.

Minutes passed in silence. Ven spent them craning his neck and peering up at the ceiling, wondering why it did not look right, and why he should know what it was supposed to look like before. All the while, that scratching of charcoal against paper played a comforting and familiar tune. This much was right. The sound, and how it echoed in this cavernous space, was what it should have been. Ven glanced over at Mr. Jewel, his curiosity getting the better of him. "May I ask what you are writing?"

nephero

Jewel was locked in thought. Honestly, he should have been taking the time to rest, get some actual sleep, you know, the basics of being a functional human being right up there with drinking water and eating food.

But the puzzle of it all was too compelling. If he'd just gone straight to sleep he'd have been tossing and turning for hours, he just knew it. If he could at least get the start of it down, perhaps that would be enough to where he wasn't left thinking endlessly on the Malady. A Malady that robbed a man of his memories, of his capacity to be near others -- without thinking, Jewel scooted his seat to the right to move from the hearth as Ven returned -- and the capacity for things like sleep.

A basic of being a functional human being. A normal infection of this sort would have killed him in days. Besides, normal infections didn't typically grant one life-stealing abilities.

So, magical.

Magical curses were all well and good, and they could involve any number of impossible things. But was that what was happening here? Why would a curse be bestowed when it had such capacity for additional damage? Why bother removing memories?

Ven's path had taken him from the north, into the Wood. A magical curse stemming from the Connlaothians was a laughable one. Sure, some of them could be outright maniacs at the best of times, but the utilization of magic to inflic a curse of this sort was out of the question.

Well, that was of course assuming--

"We haven't any cups." Ven had said, and Jewel was pulled from the thread of theory he'd been clawing at like a ball of yarn. Humiliatingly, he realized that Ven had said much more than just the observation of their lack of teacups, and Jewel cleared his throat a bit to help shake off his sense of embarrassment of being so rude.

"Cups... ah. A moment," he closed the book and set the pencil atop it on the bedroll Ven would not be using, and pulled over his own satchel. He dug around a bit (while imagining Lochlann scoffing at the lack of organization to a man's travel pack), before pulling out a folded metal tin. A quick pull of the latch and it opened, with Jewel holding out the cup that had been nestled inside along with some basic cutlery.

"I've only the one, I'm afraid, but please, you first." He set it on the end of the bedroll nearest where Ven was, before retreating back with his notations. Still the break in thought had done its job, and he realized just how exhausted he truly was. Further pondering, it seemed, would have to wait.

Jewel was midstretch, grunting softly at the pop in his shoulders and upper back as he moved, when Ven asked about his book.

"Ah, it's my notes. I often think better on a case when I've been able to write it out a bit. You've got quite the conundrum to figure out."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Nightcrawler

"Notes," Ven repeated. "On wh...Oh." He stared unblinkingly at the healer as it caught up to him: they were a medicine man's notes, and he the subject of them. He shrunk a little in place and turned away to find anything else to bestow with rapt attention. The kettle would do. "Ah. Well. Yes," he replied helpfully as he got to his feet and leaned to check the water, even though he knew full well that it was a long way from boiling. "Thank you for the cup," he added.

Ven stood there for as long as he could manage to look busy doing nothing, then fidgeted and faced Mr. Jewel again. He thought he should be useful, after all, instead of shying away from being a patient. He drew breath, intending to finally put words to what this fortress evoked in him so that it might be added to the notes, only to lay eyes on the man and see the exhaustion plain in his posture. Then and there, his intent to be a good patient died on the spot.

"Hmm. That is enough of that, I think," he said instead, inclining his head towards the book. A note of gruff authority had snuck its way into his tone. "I have not seen you eat since we met. Tobacco and tea are not sustenance, Mr. Jewel. And you should sleep, too."

nephero

The night really had been a long one. For a moment, Jewel was under the very real impression that he had not left the city walls at all, and was instead back in the castle getting tutted at for a bit of mud on his shirt. Ven's posture and tone were almost a carbon copy, really.

He took a breath, and let it out in a soft laugh. Jewel shut the book and tucked it away along with the pencil, before raising his hands up to show he had, in fact, stopped writing. Ven was right, of course. He hadn't had anything but the tea, and by this hour he'd be frying something up for breakfast.

"I promise I will not wither away just from one eventful night, Mr Ven." He gave the other man as reassuring a smile as he could muster in his fatigue, "But... it is a long road ahead of us."

Jewel turned to his pack once more, and withdrew two parcels wrapped tight in linen and tied shut. The first he set on the empty bedroll, and gave Ven a gesture to take it. The second he worked to unwrap, mindful of the contents now that they were less secure, and spread out the cloth in his lap. A few berries nearly escaped, and he had to make a quick grab to make sure they didn't just roll off into the dirt. That handful he quickly popped in his mouth, shortly followed by a bite of cheese and a bit of cured meat.

"I apologize there isn't more," he said, gesturing with his chin at Ven's parcel, "short notice departure, and all. I can hunt for us, the further we go. My intent is to keep us as far from people as possible, given your condition, so I'm afraid I won't be able to replace the cheese as often as we may like."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Nightcrawler

Ven was, quite frankly, surprised that Mr. Jewel listened. But he was grateful, nonetheless. He knew firsthand that a medicine man made for the very worst of patients, and he had expected that stubbornness of the man. "No," he conceded. "I'm sure you are made of stronger stuff, if you're content to sleep in such a place. But if I must doctor the doctor due to his own negligence..." He trailed off and breathed a little laugh through his nose. "I have a terrible bedside manner. Let it be known."

The water began to boil. Ven turned to lift it from the hook, carried it to his dry patch of floor, and set it down before moving to retrieve his jar of tea. Then he sat down and went quiet for a time while he carefully measured out just enough from his dwindling supply to call it tea at all, grunting in dismay at what was left in the bottom. He muttered something bitter-sounding in a rhythmic language that Mr. Jewel could not have known, then corked the jar and nestled it back in his pack. When he looked up again, there was a packet of food on the spare bedroll, and Jewel had gotten to work on his own.

Ven eyed the packet, then glanced at his companion. He grimaced. "I thank you. You've been quite thoughtful. But...would you believe me if I said I did not need it, either? Though...I suppose it means more cheese for you. And that is never a bad thing to hear." He slouched over the steaming kettle again and watched the leaves unfurl, and he fell back into thought. The man had brought up their travels several times now...yet he had never quite answered Ven's question.

"I know you intend to spare your people my presence. On that, we are agreed. But have you a destination? Where exactly are you taking me, Mr. Jewel?"

nephero

Jewel waited and watched, as Ven measured out his tea and brewed the meager amount he had. He should have thought to pack some, he truly should have... but the swiftness that they had left Caer Northwood has rendered him incapable of thinking of little luxuries like tea. It wasn't as if Jewel was leading them along a populated road, either, where they might want to stop and restock. Alas, like so many things, Mr Ven would have to go without.

Jewel could have kicked himself, for that.

He'd just have to keep an eye out. There was plenty that grew in the wild hills, after all, and would only become more bountiful the further south they went, away from the difficult earth at the root of the mountains.

Jewel was pulled from his thoughts, however, as Ven refused the rations. His brows rose at yet another impossible revelation, and he eyed the other man for a long moment.

"I believe there is a jest to be made here, regarding subsisting only on tea." He said, after a moment, his mouth quirking into a smile. He ate another handful of his rations, before folding them up and tucking both packets away into his satchel. At the very least, that meant a bit less effort hunting for food, in their travels. He could look after himself, and they could mind the Malady in the meanwhile.

"I know you intend to spare your people my presence. On that, we are agreed. But have you a destination? Where exactly are you taking me, Mr. Jewel?"

Ah, now there was a question. Jewel hummed a bit, before removing a map from his satchel and rolling it out.

"This is the three kingdoms," he began, tapping the northern segment of the map where mountain ranges flanked a long corridor. "Connlaoth, over the mountains, there. Serendipity, where we are now. Adela, to the south across the Ora."

Jewel traced each area as he spoke, before returning to the middle segment and tapping just south of the mountain passes that separated Connlaoth from Serendipity.

"We're here, still in Northwatch and will be for days, still. Given your condition, we will want to keep to the west. I may have some small influence, but there is very little I can do if we were to be caught near Moonspear. The Order would have very little mercy for a man who may or may not be a vampire."

He gave Ven a sympathetic look.

"I intend to bring you further west, before we reach the Ora," he tapped along the massive river that separated Serendipity from Adela, "into the Draconi forest here. It will be slow going, but the mountains are fewer. There, we can follow the pass through the Terrins, and get to La'marri. You may be beyond my skill to heal, but a city of mages surely has some answers for us."

Characters here!

__guilds, yo__

Nightcrawler

Ven cracked a wry smile in return. "And all healers are hypocrites when faced with downing our own medicine and heeding our own words, as you well know, I'm sure," he countered while he poured himself a cup of leafy tea. The sediment swirled and danced before settling slowly to the bottom. He found himself drawn in by watching it, as always, like part of his own little ritual. While he waited for it to cool, he returned his attention to his companion. "I think I am used to it. I think. Instructing the living to conserve their food while we travel...it is familiar. Another mystery to add to the long list, I imagine. Though if you take out your notebook again, I shall be displeased," he added with a hint of that same smile.

He watched Mr. Jewel unfurl the map, following the man's finger with hawk-like focus. From where he sat, he could barely see the thing, but he recalled the one he'd pored over in the study and he followed along well enough. Ven's lips pursed at the mention of Connlaoth. "Yes," he muttered with an air of clear distaste. "I have been to Kon-le-ot, I think, if it is north of your town. They are the most singularly terrible people I believe I have ever encountered, memory or no." He muttered a few additional choice words beneath his breath before squinting and focusing on where Mr. Jewel's finger slid next. He stood to get a better look, his black eyes darting from the place they were, to the city on the coast, back and forth, frown deepening all the while.

"If I am to understand just how vast this place is," he said, "Such a journey would take you a month away from your own homeland — at the least." Ven cocked his head, birdlike and strange, and stared at the man down as though he were trying to determine something. "You aren't taking me to a place to sell me for parts to some witch...are you?" he joked dryly. "Because I still cannot understand why anyone should leave his people for a complete stranger. Forgive me my hesitancy to believe. I'm sure it will all become clear in time."