Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Trouble with Treyburns [Zee]

Started by Ivory, September 18, 2013, 11:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ivory

Her flight triggered a response from the rest of the men.  Two of them dashed out the door after her, calling, no doubt, to the rest of whatever patrol her father had stationed out there to stop her.  Redly listened, head down, as their calls began to fade.

They hadn't caught her.  Thank Angsar.

"Get him into the wagon," a hard voice at the door ordered.  Obediently, a pair of men stepped into the room to pick up the bleeding, groaning man as carefully as they could.  "Which one of you was it?"

Redly peered up at his father through his rapidly-swelling eye, saying nothing.

The man scowled, using an expression that could send grown men scampering out of his path.  "You never were very smart, boy."

Redly's eye moved to the slight frame of his mother behind Darryn, then heard her horrified gasp.

"Ma, you shouldn't be in here," he said thickly, pretty sure there was some blood in his mouth...but, somehow, not daring to spit it out with his mother present.

"Whose blood is that?" she demanded, showing, for the first time, something akin to panic.  "Whose blood is that, Redly?"

(Tagging Braxton in on this!)

Paradox

"You're gonna see uncle Red today, little bear." Braxton cooed to the baby that he cradled in his arms as he walked the path that lead winding its way to the edge of the family's property. "Now, remember what we discussed. You're tough. You're a bear like papa so no tears and no cutesy girly gurgling. Practice your growl, Ethen. C'mon. Grrrrrrawrrr! " Ethen gasped and giggled in his arms at his father's ridiculous noises and expressions and reached out to grab for his nose when the man leaned in and rubbed noses with him.

He'd been so preoccupied with entertaining the baby that he almost didn't see the group of soldiers standing about just outside Redley's cabin. It was his mother's shrill voice that caught his attention and he looked up in time to see a body of a soldier being carried over to a cart. Judging by how soaked that uniform was with blood, Braxton was willing to bet the man must have been pretty dead or dying. This nearly stopped him in dead in his tracks. Leanna would murder him if he took their baby into such a potentially dangerous situation.

With that in mind, he slowed his steps and approached with caution. He noted that the soldiers bore his father's crest on their shoulders and that made him even more concerned though not enough to draw his weapon. He had no reason to fear them because he was his father's son and looked almost identical to the man. There was no question. However, as he drew nearer a couple of the men took notice and stepped forward to prevent him from approaching although they looked a bit uncertain.

Beyond the soldiers , Braxton could just make out his mother's slight frame in the doorway. "Ma?" He called out to her.

Whatever the hell this was, he had a bad feeling about it.

"Stand back, "One of the soldiers commanded him.

Braxton stood his ground and growled softly. He didn't sound identical to his old man but his voice was eerily alike and a wise man would later learn to never point this out to him, "Take it easy, soldier. I'm Braxton Treyburn."

((Here I go! In a lot of pain. Let me know if something's amiss. Was a bit difficult to think. ))

Ivory

Before Redly could give the woman a proper answer, she turned away with a visible shudder.  "Braxton!  Thank Angsar you're here!  And you've come just in time.  Your brother is about to be arrested!  You didn't know about any of this, did you, darling?"

Darryn gave her a sideways look through narrowed eyes.  "Be quiet, woman!"

And still, Redly said not a word!  He simply stood there, a steadying hand on the chair, wearing an expression that looked both resigned and stubborn.

For a moment, the patriarch of the Treyburn clan simply stared at his eldest son, and then, coolly, he turned his back on him to fix Braxton with a piercing stare.  "Did you know that Jana has been impersonating a soldier?"

Brax...  He was a smart kid.  He wouldn't leap blindly into this...  And what would be the point if he did?  It wouldn't help anyone...

Paradox

Braxton's bewildered expression conveyed his answer to his mother clearly without his words. He hugged his son tighter to his chest and tried to think of what to say. His mind was racing. Redley had always been a wild one, but he wasn't a fool. Or maybe Braxton's opinion of the man was higher than what reality dictated?

"I must have misheard," Braxton laughed nervously, "because I thought you just said my brother is being arrested. You must mean you were arresting a man for attacking my brother, right?"

But when they didn't answer him , his face fell and he sobered. Shit, Red. What have you gone and done now?

Now Braxton's father turned to cast a scrutinizing glare his way which would have made most men piss themselves. On the inside, Brax could not deny that he was intimidated , but he knew better than to show any fear or hesitation before Darryn Treyburn. "No, sir. This is the first I've heard of it. I just stopped by to pay a visit since I'm not presently on-duty. I wanted to introduce Ethen to his uncle. Sir ,if I may inquire, why is Redley being detained? " The baby in his arms gurgled and squirmed , trying to his best to get his father's attention.

Ivory

"Oh, Braxton," Rose answered with a shake of her head.  Her eyes fell to the baby, then, and she smiled, voice becoming a coo.  "Well, hello, Ethen!  Come to Grandma!"  As if she couldn't leave the house fast enough, she stepped across the lawn to meet her son and grandson.

Lowering her voice, she confessed, "Your sister impersonating a soldier...  And then Redly killing a man!  I just don't know what we're going to do, Braxton.  The shame of this..."  A single tear left her eye, and she wiped it away with a fingertip.  "Now, let me see that darling boy!"

Darryn made no answer; instead, he simply nodded, and he turned back to confront his eldest.  His voice, although not loud, rumbled out of the open doorway.  "You can barely stand.  You didn't kill this man.  She did."

Redly recognized that tone.  It was the same tone he used whenever Reagan was brought up.  "Her name is Jana.  She did it to save my life!"

Paradox

There came no answer to his inquiry. Braxton wasn't surprised. Oh well, he'd learn the truth sooner or later. His eyes left his father and turned to Ma who stepped outside to join them.

He was listened to his mother go on about the situation with her usual melodramatic flare. Now, he certainly agreed that Jana shouldn't be dressing up like a boy and soldiering but he knew the reasons behind the action. Redley had told him once when Braxton had asked what had become of their sister. Why she was missing. And he'd made good on the promise to keep this information to himself. Only because Redley asked him to. He'd take all of Red's secrets to his grave. 

He didn't think of his mother as a completely false bitch, but he wasn't entirely convinced that his mother truly cared about her eldest children or if it was preserving what little good reputation the Treyburn family still clung to, which Braxton imagined wasn't a whole hell of a lot!

In truth, he was a little surprised that his mother was so cheerful to see Ethen. The boy looked so much more like a Colborne than a Treyburn and he knew how little Ma and Pa thought of his wife. They tolerated Leanna only because she was a proper lady in spite of her family's lesser wealth. It wasn't to say that the Colbornes were actually less respectable. In fact, compared to the Treyburns ,they were by far a lot better morally grounded and proper. They just had quite a bit less money. 

"Do you want to hold him?" He offered the child to Ma.

Of course, Braxton wisely kept all of his comments about the situation to himself. He loved his siblings, but there was nothing he could do for either of them and he had a wife and child to think of.

Ivory

(OOC: I have no idea why I feel the need to shield the tiny NPC baby from the bloodshed, but I do!)

"Of course I do!" Ma cooed, as though absolutely delighted to be involved in baby-holding.

No sooner had Ma accepted the small bundle of joy into her arms than Darryn's voice lifted again.  "Braxton, leave that thing outside and come in here."

Rose made a small sound of protest as she adjusted the blankets around her grandson.  "Now, now, he didn't mean to call you a thing," she informed the child as though he would understand.  "Papa didn't mean it."

Darryn obviously didn't care about the baby, its feelings, or anyone's feelings.  His energy was focused entirely on Redly...like a kid with a magnifying glass and an ant.  "What the hell were you thinking?  Hiding her here?  Enlisting her in the military as if she were a man?"  He wasn't yelling, but there was a particularly condemning snap in his tone.  Any interruptions were so smoothly ignored that Redly had little choice but to shut up and listen.  "And attacking the arresting soldiers like some criminal in a back alley...  You're an accessory to murder.  And I will not have criminals tainting my name."

For half a second, Redly didn't know quite what that was supposed to mean.  Fortunately, Darryn clarified without needing prompting.

"Redly Treyburn, you will be arrested and a formal inquiry held.  I will be recommending you serve the maximum sentence."

Of course he would.

"And to ensure there will be no favoritism from the tribunal due to your peerage or military connections, you are hereby disowned.  Braxton Treyburn is now the designated heir of the Treyburn title, estates, and privileges, to be passed along to his heirs through his blood.  You are to be barred from those same estates and privileges henceforth."

The whole speech was delivered with all the warmth of a January snowstorm.  Redly looked as though he had just been punched.  Again.  It wasn't that he had ever cared about his title or put on airs, but...

"Braxton, I trust you understand how serious this is and will conduct yourself appropriately," Darryn added with a serious, sidelong glance to his son.  "I will send the servants to eject the tenant from the cottage and to clean it thoroughly.  Your family can move in the day after tomorrow."  The cottage, of course, was the very building in which they stood...and, doubtless, Redly the unfortunate "tenant."

Paradox

((A little language warning.  I used the F word...once. xD ))

His name is Ethen, fuck you very much. Braxton thought indignantly, but his expression was impassive. He nodded at his mother, but said nothing. What was there to say? They both knew Pa meant exactly what he said. "Behave, Ethen, "he told the baby and pinched the boy's nose lightly. Ethen giggled and grabbed for his father's hand. To ma, Braxton said, "Careful. He's at a grabby stage. "Satisfied that the child was safe with Ma, he walked over to where Pa stood delivering judgment over his elder brother.

He was silent for the duration of Pa's speech,knowing better than to interrupt the man, but the outcome surprised him . Braxton's head was spinning and he found himself opening his mouth to protest. He was quite happy with his life the way it was now. Sure, he had ambitions in the military, but as a noble? He didn't like the expectations and scrutiny that came with it! And he didn't like the idea of no Red.

"But sir, " Braxton looked conflicted. There was a part of him that wanted to tell his father to lie. Claim Jana and Redley were both dead and just let them go. Jana was probably gone, never to return and Redley would be smart enough to do the same. However, he also knew that Darryn was military and would exact a proper military punishment. He lowered his head as if defeated and sighed, nodding, "I understand perfectly, sir."

Ivory

"Good.  And I expect we'll have no trouble from you," he added, addressing Redly.

Redly nodded slightly.  "Yes, sir."

"Jones!  Tyler!  Front and center!  I want you to go through every drawer, every closet, every shelf and confiscate all military arms."  The pair of soldiers saluted smartly and began to do just that.

"Darryn, if I may speak to you outside..."  Rose murmured, quite suddenly at their elbows.

The patriarch of the Treyburn clan shot her a glare.  "Not now."

She batted her eyes -- which, thanks to the tiny baby in her arms -- almost looked adorable.  "Please.  It will only take a second.  I think Braxton understands what will happen if he lets Redly do something stupid.  Isn't that right, Braxton?"

Darryn looked to Braxton for confirmation, as though weighing his options.  With a curl of disdain, then, he stomped outside, and the couple retreated several feet away to speak quietly.

And Redly wasn't at all sorry to see them go.  The former Treyburn heir looked to the newly-declared heir with a sad smile.  "Congratulations.  There's no one else I'd trust to look after the kids."  The kids, of course, being their other siblings...which seemed to be somewhat unending...

Paradox

I can't make Red do anything , but I think Redley knows what will happen to both of us if he tries anything stupid. Braxton nodded at his mother's words ,but was looking at pa when he said them, "Yes, ma'am. "

When Pa had left , Braxton crossed his arms and frowned, "Shit, Red. I'm not cut out for this , but I guess I don't have much choice now do I?" Braxton wore his frustration clearly on his sleeve.

He sighed and threw his hands up in the air with an intone and expression of exasperation, "Ansgar's balls! Why couldn't you have gone and got yourself in trouble before I got hitched? I would have- " He shook his head . Didn't matter. Redley knew. "I'm not free to make trouble anymore, you know. I got Leanna and Ethen to think about. Shit...and now the rest of those brats. Just what I always wanted, to become the ringmaster of my very own fucking Treyburn Circus. " Because they both knew Pa and Ma sure as hell wouldn't lift a finger.

He lowered his voice, "You better break free and help me. I mean it, man. Those little twerps drive me nuts. " He really did! Looking after brats was not his favorite pastime!  And then a little more quietly, he murmured, "Good for her, huh? Suppose she's better off without us."

Ivory

Redly's chuckle was soft but immediate; he was never down for very long, even in these circumstances.  "That's what I want to hear.  They need someone to look out for them.  And, anyway, even if he convinces them to throw the book at me, I'll probably be demoted and have to spend a few nights in jail.  Hell, I wasn't even armed."

Jana, though...

Redly frowned again at the thought.  "Jana just killed a man, Brax.  She's out there alone.  Probably scared out of her mind.  And, by this time tomorrow, Pa'll have the whole army out looking for her, too.  If she finds somewhere -- anywhere -- to hide, it will be a miracle."

He peered around his younger brother, then, adding, "That's Ethen, I take it?"  His smile returned, looking somewhat sad but definitely present.  "I'll look forward to meeting him."

Paradox

(( Some language. An F bomb or two.))

"You knew that you couldn't protect her forever, and surely she knew it too.  I don't blame Jana for what she did, but she knew the consequences of her decisions and now she's going to have to live with them and fight for survival. That's the cost of freedom. Part of me wishes I had the balls to stick it to the parents... " He shook his head,"  Jana's a Treyburn. She'll survive. " Or she'd die. In all honesty, if Pa really wanted to find the girl, he would. Jana's chances were slim, but surely she had realized that too. 

"Yeah, that's my boy. Looks like his mother more than me, but that's good for him. Gonna break a lotta hearts. Heh. I came to show him off to ya. Ansgar's balls, my timing is always shit, eh?" Braxton , grinned looking quite proud. But then his expression soured, " That bastard talks about my family as if they're not even human. I fucking hate him." He'd only admit as much to Redley because he knew the man wouldn't go around repeating that knowledge to anyone.

Ivory

Redly breathed out a chuckle, in spite of the serious topic of conversation.  "Yeah, I think you're going to be just fine, Brax.  You'll have this place to escape to.  That'll help."

It was a little space, anyway, and Angsar knew neither of them came over unless they wanted something, and that was rare enough.

Their father's deep voice drifted through the doorway at that moment.  "I do not compromise!"  Their mother's voice rose above his, hushing him again.

Redly wasn't stupid enough to believe his mother might be fighting on his behalf...

"What do you think that's all about?"

Paradox

Braxton shrugged his shoulders, "Honestly? I dunno. Maybe she's trying to lighten the blow on ya? Might be concerned that I won't be able to handle the brats on my own and she'll actually have to take some responsibility for them. I know she doesn't trust Leanna to be competent enough to do much of anything. Hell, if she had her way she'd take Ethen and raise him herself. " He shuddered. That was an unsettling thought and something he wouldn't stand for.

He looked around the cabin, " Well, Leanna would appreciate an escape anyway." He chuckled, knowing this to be the truth, "  I can't escape though. After what's happened, Pa will probably have me under a magnifying glass because Ansgar forbid another kid go and disgrace House Treyburn." He shook his head, " It's alright. I can handle him." He hardly felt as confident as he sounded.

Ivory

Yeah, that was an unsettling thought...  Especially because Ma's idea of raising her children was to make the other children do it for her.  At least there was Dahlia...  She was old enough and responsible enough to keep an eye on the kids.

"Just don't do anything dumb, Brax, and he won't have a reason to come out here looking for you.  I know it'll be hard for you, but..."  Redly grinned broadly at his little joke.

The grin faded as Pa Treyburn came back.  Redly unconsciously straightened up; he always felt like his father was inspecting him and had for as long as he could remember.  At least it had prepared him for the military...

"Your mother has brought up some good points," he began grudgingly, shooting the woman beside him a scalding look.  "About what you may say under oath.  About them.  So, I am prepared to offer you a compromise."  He sneered at the term.  "Braxton, you will agree to this as well."

Redly shot a questioning look towards his brother; well, this was uncharacteristic of their father...  Nevertheless, he nodded slightly to indicate he would obey.

"You will remain disowned, your belongings will still be removed, and you will still be addressed and go to trial."

Well, so far, it sounded exactly the same.

"However."  Pa shot another disgusted look at Rose, who was standing by him with a serene look upon her face.  "Although you will not be recognized as our son or heir, you are not banished.  You may still visit your siblings, on occasion."

Catching the eye of his subordinates, he gestured for them to get out before he could continue.

Paradox

Brax gave his brother a lopsided grin, but any reply he had to give would remain unspoken as Pa can storming back into the cabin. He didn't look all that happy either. Redley was not the only one who stood a little bit taller.

Blinking confusion, the second eldest Treyburn son risked a glance Redley's way and saw that Redley looked equally perplexed. Since when the hell did Pa negotiate? He nodded, "Yes , sir." He had no choice but to comply.

Surprise registered clearly on Brax's face when their father spoke the terms. He looked over their father's shoulder out towards where their mother still stood outside. 

Ivory

Once the men had gone, Darryn closed the door, blocking Rose, and his men, from Brax's view.  With the three of them closed up in the cabin, and two of the three waiting for Darryn to continue, it became very quiet all of a sudden.

Darryn expected the boys to wait in silence; this was one of his favorite tactics to put people off-guard...

"You will swear to the tribunal that Jana joined the military in Reagan's place, not because he is dead but because he is a coward who refused the honor of serving."

Redly's face looked almost comical; of all the things he might have said, that certainly was not something he had considered.  He floundered a minute, then began, "But..."

And was immediately silenced by a harsh glare.

"And you will testify that Reagan is Angsar knows where.  You haven't heard from him in some time.  Is that understood?"  He included Braxton in his hawk-like gaze.

Redly's eye went to the wall, staring at it thoughtfully and hesitant to give an answer.  It seemed a betrayal to both Reagan and Jana...

Paradox

"What?! " Braxton blurted out without even thinking, which wasn't normal for him. Not around Pa.  He snapped his mouth shut however, and shook his head. Well, shit. The whole thing left a bitter taste in his mouth but Regan was dead. What use was a reputation to him? And Jana? Well, either way she was pretty screwed. Why do you have to drag their names further into the mud?  

"Understood, sir. " Again, it wasn't as though he had much of a choice. Fucking hate him.

Ivory

Redly still hadn't given an answer, which wasn't unusual.  He was sometimes slower to think things through than some of his other siblings were -- when he chose to think at all.

Darryn wasn't going to wait for him to think it through, however.  He wanted an answer, and he wanted it immediately.  Although he wasn't in the habit of explaining himself, typically, it seemed he had little choice.  The negotiation, really, should have been left to Rose, likely.  Instead, Darryn simply gravely stated, "It would...unfortunate...were the tribunal to learn about Reagan's death."

Yeah, Redly thought, unfortunate for him, maybe...  "So you want me to lie to cover for you?  Just because--"  Speaking of that not thinking thing!

Their father cut him off, his much deeper voice easily rising above Redly's, in spite of the fact neither had even begun to raise his voice above acceptable inside levels.  "You will lie, because if you do not, you will never step foot on this property, and you will never see any of your siblings or mother again.  I will have you transferred as far from here as is possible.  Your siblings will not seek you out.  They will not write you.  And should you try to come back to talk to them, I will have you arrested." 

Any defiance Redly possessed was quickly slipping away.  Darryn's words lacked the grace and subtlety with which Rose would have delivered them, but they were equally effective in quelling Redly's anger at his father.  Being disowned was one thing, but what his father was threatening -- and what Redly knew he could do -- was something quite different.  Never to see any of his siblings or to hear from them...to be cut-off entirely from the only people in the world he cared about...

He stared at his younger brother a moment, as if he were trying to memorize his face, as though this were, truly, the last time he would see him.  And then, he dropped his gaze and nodded slightly.  "I'll tell them Reagan's alive, sir."

Darryn nodded and stormed back outside, throwing open the door so hard it bounced against the wall and partially closed again.

Paradox

((A bit of stong, mature language. It's Braxton so you should not be surprised. ))

Braxton watched the man leave, appearing outwardly calm but every bit seething on the inside. He shook his head and watched Pa storm out. He unfolded his arms from his chest and let them drop to his sides, "I was surprised at first, but when you think about it..."

"Bah, fuck him. " Braxton made a crude gesture at Pa's back and fortunately Ma was too preoccupied with Ethen to see it. He turned back to his brother and shook his head, " You want some help ? Not that I'm in a rush to be rid of ya. Y'know, just thought it'd be the least I could do. "

Since I haven't done a fucking thing. He told himself inwardly that it wasn't his fault. Not any of it, but he felt like shit anyway.

Tags: