Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Snaaaaaake! [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, October 16, 2017, 12:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

There was a pool in the temple in which Sahar lived, and it was there that she chose to do her scrying. While it was not the only way in which she could use her gift--fire and glass worked just as well--there was something pure, cleansing, and calming about water, and she felt connected to it in a way she didn't with the others. Water was in her veins, after all; it was part her and everything else.

Some days, people visited the temple for answers and guidance, and she put her skills to work to, hopefully, set them back on their rightful path. Sometimes, her mother visited her and warned her of the dangers that came with counsel.

You've got a gift, but don't be too free with it, she'd say. It might catch someone's interest, and not in the way you'd hope.

Sahar pretended to understand and didn't ask what she meant, because it made no difference. She was a servant of Hakeshna and she was given this gift for a reason.

It was early morning and the city was waking, and no one had come to the temple yet. But after a rough night's sleep, Sahar had woken early and gone out to the pool to meditate and reflect. She trailed a hand through the water in a spinning motion, causing whirling ripples and scattering the fish swimming beneath, and peered at the shapes the ripples made. But it was just water, no visions for now.

She had no questions to ask for herself; she knew she was on the right path. Besides, the gift did not work that way.

She was still watching the fish, their easy movements lulling her into a calm, relaxed state that was bordering on drowsy when something fleshy landed with an audible plop on her shoulder.

Sahar went rigid and, slowly, turned her head to look.

And found herself staring into the beady eyes of a snake.

Whatever calm tranquility she had been going for shattered in that moment.

With a blood-curdling scream to wake the dead, Sahar jerked to the side as though trying to get away from it--even though it was on her--and, still screaming, smacked at it to dislodge it--

Right as that jerking motion sent her toppling over and into the fountain with a splash.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

A dark woman stood in the shadows of the temple. Her dark, blood red hair draped around her heart shaped face, full lips parting into a grin when Sahar splashed into the water. The smile didn’t reach her pale yellow snake-like eyes. The serpent that wound it’s way around her shoulders flicked its tongue at the air as its brethren slithered forth into the temple. The one that had plopped onto Sahar’s shoulder was only the first of dozens. They circled the pool, and swam across the surface of the water, all converging on Sahar. Their sheer mass lifted her to the surface, and they drew her to the dark woman in the shadows.
        The woman stepped forward, the light finding her charred black skin. Cracks, like crevices in the earth, glowed with a light, like magma flowing just below the surface of her skin. Two massive curved horns glistening like obsidian, sprouted from her forehead. Her clothing, once fine garb, was nothing but burnt and tattered remains. She smiled wide, showing Sahar her wicked teeth, a serrated grin.
        Before Sahar’s eyes the woman transformed. Not a metamorphosis, more like fog setting in to obscure your view. Hints of the beast beneath were still visible under the new illusion that hid the monstrous truth. Now the burnt demon was a beautiful Essyrni woman. One that might be described in poetry and song.
        “Hello Seer. I’ve come to ask for your guidance.”
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

At first, Sahar felt only cool water all around her.

Then she felt scales and writhing bodies and she screamed again, but only bubbles came out.

Thrashing and flailing, she struck at the many winding snakes, swallowing water in her panic and terrified they were going to drown her, bite her. She felt them curl around her arms, her legs, her neck, more of them than she ever thought possible, and just when she thought this was it, that she was going to die in a shallow fountain, they drew her up.

Carried her.

She came up sputtering and coughing, but she was no longer struggling. Terror had frozen her, because what if they bit her? Were they venomous? What if they strangled her? Could they do that? She hardly knew the difference between snakes! All she knew was that this was a nightmare--maybe literally! Had she fallen asleep while dowsing? If she had, she wanted to wake up now!

And as her vision cleared, along with her lungs, she soon realized they were carrying her--

Toward a figure in the shadows.

A figure that stepped forward and revealed itself to be a monster.

Sahar gasped, a scream catching in her throat as her body went taut, her heart beating like a fluttering bird. The wicked teeth. The curved horns. The burnt skin with fire within, like a dying ember.

Ifrit! was her first panicked thought, which solidified as the monster slid on its illusion--and made its horrible announcement.

Her mother was right. And this felt too real to be a dream.

Sahar swallowed hard, and tried to sound brave despite the tremble in her voice. "S-seek elsewhere," she said, and winced as her voice came out a squeak. She cleared her throat, tried again. "Th-this one serves only Hakeshna."

Oh God, please don't kill me.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

With only the slightest twitch of a finger, the demonic woman issued her command. The snakes wound and squeezed beginning to crush Sahar. A non venomous python bit into Sahar’s arm, and as she opened her mouth to scream, a serpent wriggled into her mouth, and down her throat, with surprising speed.
        “You will divine for me, or I will fill your belly to bursting with my children. They will corrupt you from within. Your power will be lost to me, but one more mindless slave can find a use, in the burning inferno I call home.”
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Sahar's scream turned into a muffled gagging, and whatever pride she'd been clinging to flew out the window as that thing forced its way down her throat, wriggling and squirming farther and farther despite her best effort to vomit. She thrashed in a blind panic, clawing at her throat, unable to breathe as all those bodies pressed on her even as she felt a wild, sick twisting in her belly. And when she could draw breath, only choked, heaving sobs came out.

She gagged, the pain in her arm nothing compared to that feeling in her gut, the knowledge that something living and vile was inside her.

"Get it out, get it out, get it out!" she cried between ragged breaths, feeling sick but unable to heave.

Aeytrious

The snakes entwined Sahar further bearing her arms down, her hands pulled away from her throat where her wild, panicked clawing left red welts, quickly rising. Enough wrapped around her throat to tip her head all the way back, her jaw held shut, her screams turned to muffled closed-mouth wailing. Again she was bitten, nonvenomous pythons clamping downto inflict sharp, shocking pain. The creature masquerading as a woman stepped closer, looming over her victim. The illusion flickered falling away for the moment, the horns and burned skin revealed to heighten Sahar's terror.
        "You will quit your wailing," her words were hissing steam, the anger in them hot enough to burn, "or I will command my children to violate you." The wicked grin returned, spreading wide enough to split more cracks into the charred face. "Your mouth isn't the only place they can slither into." The illusion settled back into place as the monster stepped back again. The snakes dropped Sahar, unceremoniously onto the floor. Many lingered around her, while some disappeared into the illusion of the beautiful Essyrni woman that stood before Sahar.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Sahar lay curled where she was dropped, trembling uncontrollably, her hands over her mouth in a desperate attempt to contain her wracking sobs. She wanted to vomit, utterly nauseated by the thought of what was inside her, but terror held her frozen, her throat and chest so tight she could barely breathe or move.

Why had no one heard her screams? Was she alone in the temple? Or...or was this monster behind the silence? Had she hurt them? Sahar shuddered at the thought, but didn't dare ask. She only curled in tighter on herself, wincing as her wounds burned, feeling like her heart could explode from how hard it was beating.

"P-please...please stop hurting me, I-I'll...I'll tell you what you want," she finally managed to get out, voice trembling and eyes clenched shut; she was too afraid to even look at the monster. Was it a betrayal of Hakeshna to cave to a demon? Maybe. But Hakeshna had to understand...right?

The alternative was far too much to ask of any of Her servants.

Aeytrious

As the beast of a woman moved to sit, the snakes from around Sahar slithered forth to shape into a creeping, undulating throne. The throne moved forward and the monster grinned the perfect smile of a doting mother, though none of the love was in her eyes. She looked down at Sahar's trembling form and reached out a hand toward her. "Sit up'" she commanded in an almost motherly way. "You have a very special job now set before you. If you prove to be the real thing anyway. So many of you are just struck with madness, or are simply charlatans." She waved the idea away as if it hardly mattered. "You will help me find people with rare abilities, some even rarer than yours. The people we collect, they will expedite my revenge. After that, if possible, I'll find a way to rid myself of this curse."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Sahar didn't think she could move, but when the creature demanded she sit up, she forced herself to obey. She learned quickly, and fear was a good teacher. Trembling, she sat up and wrapped her arms around her knees, hugging them to her chest, making herself small.

A special job. Find people with special abilities. Revenge. Curse.

The words rolled around in her mind and she swallowed hard, finally daring to look at the monster that wore a human face.

"What...what revenge?" she asked quietly, voice cracking. She wet her lips; her mouth and throat felt dry. "What if...what if I can't? My gift, it...it sometimes has a will of its own, and..." She paused, words heavy on her tongue, but forced the next statement out. "I don't want to hurt anyone. I won't hurt anyone."

Aeytrious

A snake shot from the woman's outstretched hand, wrapping around Sahar's throat. It reared it's head and hissed in her face, the promise of a bite from it's long fangs apparent. "I do not intend on having you hurt people," the monster said. "I will do the hurting. You will find the people I need to get my revenge on the ancient wyrm that placed this curse on me." The words had barely left her mouth when the illusion faded away again. The charred and cracked skin, with the molten liquid glow showing beneath the surface of her flesh was a horrible sight. Covered again in an illusion the woman grinned knowing the revulsion Sahar must feel at the sight of her.
        "If I can remove the curse, I will, but not until I have my revenge."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

This has to be a dream, a nightmare. This had to be. But the snake wrapped around her throat, hissing, felt all too real, smooth and cool on her skin, and the fear in her soul felt way too deep. Still she silently prayed to wake up, even as she seized up in terror and bit her tongue to keep from crying out. Her sister had always teased her for her fear of snakes, and maybe she could have overcome that fear in time—but not  after this.

But despite the terror, she knew that if she screamed, the snake might bite her, so instead she held very still, fresh tears welling up in her eyes and every muscle taut and trembling.

Dream or not, she couldn't refuse. This monster made that very, very clear.

"O-okay," she breathed, voice shaking. Please, please, someone had to have heard her screams! Someone would come, right? Someone would save her from this creature! But she had never seen anything like this in any of her visions, much less any evidence that she would be rescued. "I'll help you, just please stop!"

Aeytrious

The snakes eased in their torment of Sahar, but the did not depart. Slithering around her, and over her. The fiendish woman had a worried almost pained expression as she moved closer to the seer.
        "Tell me," she said in a trembling whisper, "where will I go next to find tools of my revenge?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"I..." It was hard to think with those creatures on her, knowing one wrong move, one wrong word, could end in further torment. And that thought alone was paralyzing, and only amplified by the knowledge that if she did nothing, they would attack her for it, too. Her breathing came fast, too fast, and her heart felt ready to burst from her chest. The room began to spin and she closed her eyes against it, but the sensation followed her.

Do something. Say something. Oh goddess. She couldn't do what this demon asked, not on command, not like this. But if she didn't, she'd be hurt.

She swallowed hard, her throat dry. "I...I can't. N-not like this," she managed to choke out. Her eyes snapped open, realizing how that creature might take that, and she looked at the woman desperately. "I will! I'll tell you! But my visions, they...I need time! And water!" She threw a look toward the pool and back to the woman. "Please. I'll do what you ask. But I need to focus. Please."

Aeytrious

The snakes tightened ever so slightly on Sahar. They writhed around her pressing against her uncomfortably. One pressed hard against her vulva threatening to slip inside her as the monster glared at the seer. Then they all released her and slithered away back to the demoness. Even the thrashing in her stomach stopped, the weight of that snake in her belly disappearing all together. Then as the beautiful illusion of a woman stepped forward, all the snakes twisted into a mass, becoming one giant snake. It coiled its body and hissed at Sahar, then struck. But as the snake hit Sahar it vanished into a puff of sulfurous smoke that dispersed around the room.
        "Gaze at your pool seer. Find the future I seek. Tell nobody of this dream. Yes, it is a dream. You've dozed by your pool, and I've stepped into your mind. I am as real as you. I can hurt you, and those you love. Find the future I seek. I'll be back when next you sleep." Then the woman, the creature caught fire and with a terrifying laugh she crumbled to ash and blew away.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Sahar jerked awake with a cry to find that she was sitting on the ground beside her pool, her arms folded onto the raised edge encircling it and her head cradled atop them. Her arms were wet from tears where her face had rested, but as she sat up and looked around in terror, she saw that she was alone. No snakes. No monsters. Nothing to show that any of that nightmare had ever happened, the only evidence of it being the tears in her eyes and her racing heart.

A dream. It was just a dream. But was it? The creature in the dream had said it was a dream, but real, too. That she had invaded her sleep. But was that just her dream psyching her out?

It felt so real. And Sahar felt crazy. If it was real, and she ignored it as just a standard nightmare...

Feeling suddenly ill as she remembered how real the snakes had felt, slithering in her belly, pressing between her legs, she swallowed hard to fight the urge to vomit. Something screamed at her that this was dangerous, and that she shouldn't help a demon no matter the damage because the cost to her soul would be far higher, but she wasn't cut out for this. She was just a priestess. That's all. She wasn't brave like her sister, Nasrin, and god how she wished she was here now. She always knew what to do. But the demon had said to tell no one.

And she wouldn't risk those she loved getting hurt.

She just had to hope Hakeshna was forgiving.

With a deep, trembling breath, she turned her eyes to the pool. If this was only a dream, nothing would happen, and she would have lost nothing.

Please let it be a dream. Only a dream.

She trailed a hand through the water, sending ripples flowing across the pool, and then she stared into the water, at the patterns playing out on the surface. She let them entrance her, let her eyes relax and unfocus, and waited for the images to come alive in the water as she thought about her mission.

Please just be a dream.

The images didn't always come. It wasn't something that could be commanded like other magics; it had to be coaxed, invited. The mind had to be calm and open; stress only made it harder, and to say she was stressed was an understatement. But gradually, to her horror, those ripples began to change shape, and color began to bleed into them like paint dipped in water, and Sahar held her breath as those shapes and watercolors began to take the form of a person.

Aeytrious

An elderly man, so covered in wrinkles it was hard to imagine he'd ever been young. He sat turned partially away from Sahar, his boney knees stretching his skin in his crossed leg position. Some children came into view around him, rapt with awe as the mans hands danced through the air weaving colors into images as he told them a tale. His home looked poor, but he was somewhere in Essyrn, there was no doubt. A story teller with some sort of magic. That was the first stop the demon needed to make. What his powers truly were couldn't be discerned by his silent image in the water, but Sahar knew without a doubt that this man was at least part of the answer the monster was seeking.
        As she watched the image it shifted and a little girl came into view. Blonde hair in ringlets, pale skin, and blue eyes. The girl ran through a grassy field, her cherubim face lit up with joy as a red skinned woman lifted her aloft spinning her around. The woman had plaited black hair with feathers woven in, and she wore the garb of the horse tribes that sometimes traded with Essyrn in the north. She was not the focus of the image though. It was the small girl. Why she was part of this she could not know. No signs were visible in the images, and then they were gone. Two images, to goals for the monster. She had answers. She just had to decide if telling that creature was the right thing to do.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

The vision faded.

The auras replaced it. They always did.

Sahar pressed the heels of her palms to her eyes and inhaled slowly, but the prisms flashed even in the dark. The horrible head pain and vomiting would follow soon, and she much preferred collapsing in an undignified, disgusting heap in her own quarters rather than the somewhat public space here. Forcing herself to her feet with a wobble, she made the short journey to her room half-blind, pulled her small wash basin close to her bed, and collapsed face down amongst its many pillows and blankets. The headache hadn't yet begun, but she felt drained; she always did after a vision, but this one had been particularly strong and complex.

But that wasn't the only reason nausea twisted her belly. She had seen. She had seen what that monster needed, and though she didn't understand it, it still made her sick. An old man and a child; those were the subjects of this Viewing, the intended targets of a demon. Both innocent. Both looked so kind, so normal.

What was she supposed to do? If this all wasn't just some insanely realistic nightmare, that monster would come back for her answers--and the answer was an old storyteller and a child. How could she endanger them?

She pulled a pillow over her head, pressing the side of her hot face against the cool silk covering as the first stabs of pain struck her behind her left eye.

What was she supposed to do?

That was her last thought before it became too painful to think, and after several hours spent curled into a ball, praying for death, and vomiting into her wash basin, she finally fell into a fitful sleep.

Aeytrious

A fitful sleep filled with twisting dark nightmares. The happy scenes she’d seen in her visions, corrupted by darkness and pain. The old man sobbing over the corpses of children, smears of blood and ash, snakes writhing all about. The wailing of mothers for their babes, of a family for their lost patriarch. The tribeswoman holding the broken corpse of the girl, pain and anger painted on her face in a smear of blood and ash, the girl surrounded by dead siblings, as she lay wailing on her caretakers chest, her ringlets heavy with sweat, her face streaked in tears and ash. And so many snakes. All the while crackling fires burning and maniacal laughter echoing.
        The dreams were not prophetic as her visions were, but her fears manifested within them. So many possibilities of anguish that the monster could inflict upon these gentle innocents of her visions. No kind soul would want these torments acted out upon such pleasant looking folk. But nightmares were not enough torture for Sahar. No. The monster had made a promise, and she had never broken a promise. She stepped through a nightmare representation of herself, dissipating the dream. The world coalesced around her into Sahar’s sleeping quarters. Sahar lay where she had when she’d gone to sleep. The monster loomed above her. She had gold eyes now with chestnut hair, her flawless skin as pale as alabaster. Her bust was larger, nearly bursting from her tight dress. The dress was a cobalt blue and glittered like diamonds as she walked. The emerald boas wrapped around her lazily, looking more like accessories than threats this time.
        “You’ve had your vision,” the crackling voice said, “now tell me what you saw.”
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

In her bed, Sahar slept fitfully, turning over in her bed and kicking the pillows onto the floor, the blankets tangled around her legs. A thin sheen of sweat glistened on her brow and she whimpered, feeling trapped--a sensation that carried into her dream.

In her dream, she woke in her bed with snakes binding her legs, preventing her from running as the woman of her nightmares stepped into her room, as terrifyingly beautiful as before but so different. It didn't matter what she looked like, though; Sahar knew it was her the same way she knew the sky was above her. She could take any form and she would know that monster.

She pulled the blankets tight around her like a shield and took a deep breath, trying her best not to tremble. Those people. That child, that old man. If she spoke, it could kill them all. But if she didn't speak...

"It...it wasn't very clear..." she said slowly. "There...there was a girl, and a man, but they could have been anyone. Anywhere." Maybe she could obscure the truth. It was true that she didn't know who they were; she didn't even have a name. That man could be her neighbor, or he could be halfway across the world. Who's to say they even looked the way they did in her vision now? She could have seen what they looked like now, or ten years ago, or ten years in the future.

"The visions can be, ah, vague sometimes. There was nothing to even suggest when these people were. But there was a man, and there was a girl."

Aeytrious

"You think you can appease me with that?" The monsters words came out of her beautiful mouth with a spark of fire and the smell of brimstone. She stepped toward Sahar and snakes began to grow out of many of the surfaces around the room. They coiled and raised themselves up swaying threateningly. "You will give me every detail. You will leave nothing out. I will know if you do, and I will kill a child every time you lie to me."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Tags: