Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Falling Leaves [M]

Started by visualspice, May 07, 2022, 03:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Wait.." Hyathia squeaked, legs nearly stiff in protest as Erin charged forward. Were they really going into battle!?
She barely had a chance to scream when they were attacked, but Erin worked swift and hard, and she felt hid powerful form swing out and even felt the axe cleave his foe.

She had never seen battle before, nor death, nor felt the fresh rain of bloods death,  so she froze, unable to do anything.. even breath.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Erin groaned, having taken a proper look at the girl again, who'd all but retreated back into her mind-- Near-catatonic at the chaos surrounding her, her breath seeming to seize up in her throat. On some level, he couldn't blame her; She wasn't built for this, like he was... but damn did she make things more difficult than they needed to be. "Hey-- Hey! Look at me. Look at me, okay?" Erin needed to address this-- or at least attempt to. He stopped his advance, holding Hyathia as close as he could to prevent an undue attacks from oncoming arrows or assailants, before taking her slowly by the face and forcing her to look him in the eyes-- whereupon he put on his trademark confident grin.

"We're going to get out of here. If I have to carry you out of here, if I have to cut every last one of these men down, I will-- but I will get us out of here. Okay?" He paused for a moment; To the girl, it might've seemed like a shiver went up his spine-- the sound of a metal arrowpoint hitting tempered metal echoing from behind him as his armor deflected yet another well-placed shot, but the smile never left his face. "You trusted me enough to jump out of that cage-- will you trust me enough to get us through this?"

visualspice

By the time Erin addressed the girl, Hyathia remembered to breath, peering questionably into his eyes before visibly wincing.

Trust him.. did she trust him? Such questions ran through her mind but at first she couldn't comprehend. Then she blinked, her mind slowly coming back to their very real reality as she grimaced but nodded.

"You.. you've risked your life for mine so far " she tried to smile but it was forced. "I.. suppose I.. I could trust again."

In any other, much mess lethal situation, Hyathia would have taken the time to admire the fact her rescuer was good looking and cute. Hormones were an interesting thing. But as it were, they (most thankfully) were taking a back seat in this reality, as at any moment, she was in no mind to ignore the fact she could die.  Perhaps a good looking (albeit slightly crazy..) rescuer was a small bit of luck in her other wise string of very unlucky situations.

She swallowed at the knot in her throat and tried to steel herself as best she could,  but in no means could she stop her trembling .
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

"Atta girl," Erin said with a nod, moving his hand from her head and to her shoulder once more, holding her close to him as he prepared to move again. His eyes scanned the immediate vicinity; The guard was making good work of the assailants, but from horseback it seemed quite difficult to cull them all in a uniform fashion; A few would slip by their mounted assault, he noticed, though in most cases the rear guard were able to take them down with arrows, if they caught them quick enough. Erin began a slow approach towards the hill, his plan to get at least within hearing distance of his horse and escape this battle before harm befell the noblewoman in his care.

"There! The girl!" He heard a shout in the distance, from whom or where he couldn't be sure; But no sooner than it reached his ears did two assailants-- one with a wooden club, the other with a short sword-- approach Erin, a bit more cautious as they eyed the slain body of one of their own by his axe not too far away. "For goodness's sake..." He muttered as the two began to circle him and Hyathia-- like vultures, looking for the right angle to prey from. Erin held his axe at the ready, and keeping Hyathia behind him, yet still within his grasp as the men closed in. It was the attacker with the short sword who struck first, rushing Erin from an awkward angle on his side; He managed only to parry it with the hilt of his axe, sending the man off balance before raising a leg and deilvering a powerful, armor-reinforced kick to his chest, sending the swordsman a solid foot backwards off his own feet, right onto his back. Through the deafening sounds of war, he heard the oncoming footsteps of the second man from behind, aiming for Hyathia; He immediately swung around to confront him, but before he could raise his axe to tear through the attacker like before, one of the many flying arrows finally struck true. "Urk--!" He growled as the piercing bolt found an opening on his back, between two plates of armor. It wasn't enough to stop him, but it was enough to distract him long enough for the approaching man to reach him, and with a mighty downward swing of his studded club, he smashed Erin near-directly over the head with enough force to break the wooden weapon.

And for a moment... nothing happened. It felt as though time might've stopped. But as Erin, who's head had been forcibly lowered by the blow, slowly raised his now-bloodstained, deathly furious gaze towards the would-be murderer, the poor lad practically lost his bowels in fear, stumbling backwards onto the ground, and turning tail while he still could. "...Let's keep going," Erin muttered while continuing to walk in pace with Hyathia up the mountain, his words a bit dulled-- likely a side-effect of still shaking off that blow to the head.

visualspice

Hyathia did a trembling dance as she was in the thick of things, it seeming that she always a step or two from harm's way. She screamed out as Erin was hit with an arrow,  and she appeared to flinch with him each time a blow missed or hit home. But when he was struck over the head, even she too cowered back in fear from his reaction.

Once the immediate danger has passed, she followed after him numbly,  it taking her a few moments to sputter out her concern "But.. you're bleeding!" She protested,  rushing to catch up to his side better. "You.. you've been hit by an arrow!" Shouldn't he like..take care of that or something?

But even still,  the battle was so close and the pair were hardly out of the thick of things when another arrow whirled towards Erin's head.
"Look out!"

Hyacinthus

As they walked, Erin looked to Hyathia and smiled, though it was clear that either due to the pain, or the blood in his eyes, some of his trademark gusto had left him. "Don't worry about me-- they're just flesh wounds. I made you a promise, didn't I?" He boasted confidently, though his words were a bit more labored than before. Mentally, he wanted to curse his need to look cool in front of others-- the truth was that as fun as it was to watch that brigand turn tail and run at the sheer sight of his animosity, the amount of blood he was losing with each passing second and the likely concussion he'd just taken from that club to the skull were doing wonders to slow him down. Oh well; He'd suffered worse.

In another situation, at another time, Erin would've heard the whistling of the incoming arrow on his own; However, with his senses dulled, it was Hyathia's sudden reaction to it that caused his eyes to sharpen and with as much speed as he could muster, Erin swung his body around to face the oncoming arrow. He flinched his head to the side, and with good reason; His reactions were incredibly dulled by his own standards, and his free hand, which would've normally been fast enough to catch the arrow by it's head, was only able to grab it out of the air after it had left it's mark-- a cut to the cheek, right below his left eye. Erin frowned, but otherwise didn't react in any real pain; leaving the cut to bleed as it would while tossing the arrow aside. "We're drawing too much attention now-- The hell are the Duke's men doing?" He complained, before grasping his two-handed battleaxe as tightly as he could and drawing upon his willpower to re-sharpen his senses through the pain and concussion once more. "We need to keep moving. Stay close." He practically growled, before continuing his advance up the hillside.

visualspice

It was hard to tell how many with arrows might be left, scattered among the thickly treed path. But Hyathia remained close as she followed, concern that they would be eating more arrows soon .. and that her hero was bleeding..a lot.

She wished she could be more useful, but he made a vow and though gallant as it was, this man did not know her well at all,  yet here he risked his neck.

Her own eyes roamed the trees, fearful of any oddity or noise. But it was easily muffled over as the rumbling reminder of an on coming storm streaked the skies with bright flashes of lightning and made the grounds tremble under their feet. And the winds were picking up rapidly,  trees swaying heavy under the breeze. Hyathia's own dark hair has caught the wind and took flight, scattering in a mess about her face.

She could smell the air, it was heavy with the promise of rain. And as the next bolt of lightning lit the sky, she saw a figure in the trees raise a crossbow and before she knew what she was doing, she was throwing herself bodily into Erin in hopes to knock them to the ground.

Hyacinthus

Fight through the pain. Focus through the pain. Endure, overcome, and prevail. Mantras filled Erin's mind as he felt his reactions quicken and his head clear of the fog that filled it. Yes, he'd powered through far worse than a few arrows and a blow to the head; He'd fought manticores without vanagandr to even the playing field. He'd faced off against the Naga huntresses of the Draconi Forests and lived to tell the tale. He'd taken a tail strike from an elder dragon, and managed to stand back up. These injuries from a few men with weapons couldn't stop him. Yes... he told himself as much. And the more he told himself that, the more of his willpower he felt returning. The world stopped sounding like a blur-- The battlefield began to ring out in earnest again, with every blade clash and every war cry echoing pristinely through the air. He could do this.

The further they walked, the more acutely Erin became aware of the hair on his arms standing on end, as the winds began to shift with force enough to carry the clouds. A storm? Now? A part of him wasn't sure his little maiden could take much more even with the oncoming storm. Yet with a flash of lightning, the unthinkable happened; She suddenly leapt into... some sort of action, flinging herself at him with what Erin could only imagine was all of her might. On a normal day, she'd have just met unforgiving, unyielding, polished red steel, but so surprised was the man by her actions that he took an awkward step backwards. He stumbled over his own feet, which alongside Hyathia's impractical tackle, knocked both him and herself to the ground, just behind a few tall shrubberies. Erin was surprised, sure, but couldn't help but notice the spiraling bolt that flew past them as they fell, just barely missing Hyathia's head. He laid there for a few moments, somewhere between amused and speechless, staring at the girl before suddenly smiling.

"...Well now. I guess we're even?" He mused, before sitting up, putting him a bit closer to Hyathia-- in case another threat reared itself of course. No other reason.

visualspice

Hyathia flinched as a cold wind tore through the air, even through the brush where they had fallen and as she went to move she let out a yelp of pain. She apparently had jerked her already injured arm awkwardly and the pain that coursed down her arm was enough to put her in tears. But even worse than that,  the damn crossbow wielder now stood over top of the pair, a freshly loaded bolt now armed and aimed at the pair of them.

"Put your arms where I can see them!" He demanded,  stepping closer.

Hyacinthus

The aggressive shouting of an oncoming assailant was nothing new to Erin by this point, but boy was it growing annoying. His eyes turned to slowly meet the man with the crossbow with that same frustration he currently felt, moving Hyathia to the side as he sighed at the proper sight of him. Perhaps it was the blood loss getting to him; Perhaps it was simply becoming truly aggravating to face trial after trial with this girl-- Attached as he hated to admit he probably was becoming. "...Walk me through what your plan is, here..." He began, slowly raising his hands.

"...Because this is mine. If you shoot the girl, I will kill you. I will shatter your spine on my armor, and as you lay paralyzed from the mid-waist down, I will drag you behind that treeline you foolishly came running over here from, and I will cut your arms from your body, joint for joint, one by one. I will plant my foot over your throat and watch as you struggle to scream for air, and grind your neck beneath my heel until I hear the bones in your throat crunch beneath me. I will take my time. I will be deliberate. And I will not stop until the last light in your eyes fades away." Slowly, he stood; actively attempting to make himself a more threatening-- and therefore higher priority-- target than the girl.

"And if you shoot me... It better put me down for good."

visualspice

A dark chuckle came from their assailant.
"Big promises from a man who's about to die. I don't care if you have a death wish. Ill oblige. I just want the girl."

Hyathia panicked. She had no idea why anyone would want to kidnap her for but it wasn't fair that Erin has to forfeit his life to do it. It wasn't like she was some high ranking noble! Maybe they were confused onto who she was?

"No. Wait! Please! Don't shoot!" She cried as she jumped in front of Erin, acting as his shield. "Theres been too much blood shed already. Ill.I'll... I'll go with you. I surrender!"

She wasn't sure why she felt the sudden need to be brave or strong.. but the red armored knight had risked so much for her.

Their assailant grunted.
"Then over here, girl. NOW. " the man barked.

Hyacinthus

Erin frowned further, but took mental note of what he'd learned. It was unfortunate to say the least that he couldn't scare the archer into backing down, but wasn't the end of the world. The next few moments would be crucial to whether or not one, or both of them would walk away from this encounter. He did, however, breathe a mental sigh of relief at finally hearing, verbatim, that this lot too was after the girl at his side. In some ways, that made things easier; He knew at the very least that giving her up wasn't an option now, if only out of spite for the mild inconveniences of his wounds.

A confident grin began to grow on Erin's face in the response to the man's words. "Then let's see who's faster-- me, or--" He began, only to be interrupted... by the girl? The smile on his face evaporated into a frown once more as she stepped between him and the archer... shielding him? Erin could barely believe his eyes-- first she could barely function on her own, and now she was protecting him?

A part of him wanted to lash out; To grab the girl by the hair and pull her out of the way. She'd officially taken every possible course of action to either put herself in harm's way or make her own life harder-- At his expense. The other, more reasonable part of him, however, could understand... to a degree. He was like that, once. Her words of stemming the blood spilled reminded him of an Erin from many years ago, who was naïve enough to believe the world could work like that. Where no one had to die... where you could protect others by placing the burden on yourself. It was, although annoying, admittedly admirable.

"You don't know what you're doing." Erin warned the girl, cautious of making any sudden moves; He didn't know how jumpy the trigger-finger on their new archer friend was, and he didn't trust his chances of getting her out of the way if he did fire on them. "You have no idea what he'll do with you; Don't be a martyr for someone like me."

visualspice

The winds were growing wilder as the storm front swelled. Rain. She could hear the rain,  but not able to see it coming through the trees but more she could hear it like a moving torrent. And it didn't start off gently. It poured,  the heaven' s opening up and unleashing their rage as stalks of lightning hissed over head and a second bolt cracking along with thunder, like a whip.

Her dress was already plastering to her body, as was her once wild flying hair. She was at a stand still between Erin and her would be captor. Erin's words caused her to hesitate.  But she had already taken the first move, and she swore she saw the man's fingers itching over thr trigger.

So she stepped forward, out of Erin's protection and towards the threatening man's side. She wasn't even all the way over there, the man too eager to have her, when he grabbed her and roughly pulled her towards his side. And she floundered forward, whether on purpose or because the grounds were suddenly slick with rain, but soon the man was swearing as he juggled his crossbow with one hand and the girl with the other.

It also seemed like he was fishing for something- a pair of cuffs and he hit the girl awkwardly with them.
"Put them on. Do it."

Hyathia just stared at them, mind going blank. Hewanted her to what!?

"Now!" The man barked,  losing his patience and never once taking his eyes off of erin. Through trembling fingers she stumbled, and clicked one against a wrist a ND spared a single glance at Erin as she hesitated with the second.

"Hurry girl, hurry!"

Hyacinthus

Hyathia made her decision; Wordlessly, she made her move, walking away from Erin, and towards the assailant with the bow. Erin, for the most part, went quiet as she did so. Internally, he was fuming; He didn't like the idea of someone, anyone, putting themselves in danger for his sake. That... kinda defeated the purpose of who he was-- WHAT he was. He wanted to scream at her, to tell her to back down, and not go through with what she was doing. And yet... as the storm winds bellowed in, whistling through the spines and crevices of his armor, and blowing his hair back and cooling the blood on his face, Erin couldn't help but smile. As annoyed as he was right now, he was... proud.

Thunder crashed, and illuminated the serenity of his face through the blood, which the rain slowly began to wash down into his crimson armor. Each cool droplet of life-giving water that crashed on what little of his skin was like a moment's reprieve onto itself. Yes, Erin was proud-- though it probably wasn't the best moment to admit to it. As the girl stumbled into her kidnapper's arms, Erin lowered his own; A rather foolish thing to do perhaps, given his situation. "What am I doing..." He muttered to himself, shaking his head, and kneeling down to grab his axe. Watching Hyathia throw herself into danger for the sake of someone else reminded him of someone he knew very well. It was stupid, it was dangerous, but damn if it wasn't totally an Erin thing to do.

"Do as he says, Hyathia," Erin 'warned', as he too began to approach the cross bowman, axe at the ready. He wasn't exactly sure what his plan was, here-- Maybe he really did have a death wish. But it was a sad day when a frail little thing like Hyathia was the one to remind him of what it meant to do what you believed to be right, regardless of the consequences. "You still trust me, right?"

visualspice

Hyathia stole a glance at Erin, hesitating over closing the last cuff. Her eyes caught his, just for a brief moment as she nodded,  mouthing the words back,  'Do you trust me?'

It was probably foolish, she would likely die for it but she had to arleast try. She and Erin hadnt just survived an insane drop from a cliff side cage for nothing...

So when the man grabbed her hands roughly to close the second cuff himself, that's when Hyathia let out a cry and threw herself bodily at the man. The pair stumbled, Hyathia knocking the man off balance as his finger hit the trigger and the bolt sore upwards towards the storm.

Lightning flashed and the pair tumbled, the earth now becoming bogged with a collection of the torrential rain. And so it wasn't easy for either Hyathia nor her captor to gather themselves against the muddy ground- which is exactly what Hyathia hoped would happen and would give Erin a chance to act.

Hyacinthus

Erin's eyes remained trained on his would-be companion in danger as she stirred about in the rain beneath the assailants men's grasp. She put on a good display of helplessness; It was probably just in her nature, given the circumstances. But beneath that helplessness, he could tell-- a fire burned, even in the torrential downpour that'd engulfed the hillside. He watched her closely, and as she mouthed those fateful words to him, Erin slowly, inconspicuously nodded. He had no idea what she was up to, but he was sure of one thing; she'd made her decision to jump rather than fall, once again.

And then it happened, so quickly that Erin could barely tell exactly when they began moving, or when he did; Hyathia leapt into action in a moment of defining bravery, knocking both herself and her kidnapper to the ground, the collision causing the man's trained crossbow to swing away from  Erin and fire off into the sky. He didn't question the opportunity, or squander it; As the two struggled in the swelling mud below them, Erin darted forth. He swung his axe forward in a single hand with a unnatural precision, given it's weight; As he closed the gap, it flung forward and slammed straight into the crossbow-wielding wrist of their harasser; Yet, it's blade didn't cut him. No, Erin merely buried the blade into the boggy ground, trapping the man's dominant hand beneath the axe, and locking him in place beneath it's hilt. It wasn't much of a hassle to pull Hyathia to her feet by the waist and away from him from there, stuck as he was now. And so Erin stepped away, Hyathia at his side, and watched quietly over the man from a bit of a distance.

"Well... this is more or less your handiwork," He noted to the girl, the rain running down his chin concealing the sweat forming on his brow; The howling winds bolstering his tone, hiding his growing exhaustion. "Do you have any questions for him?" His gaze turned from the noblewoman to the downed assailant, before once more looking around for any further potential threats. Perhaps she wanted the key to those cuffs... or, y'know, more importantly, to know why these men were after her in the first place. She seemed quite confused about it all-- And slowly, Erin was becoming so as well. This much trouble over any noble lass was indicative or more than some traffickers trying to make an easy buck, or hostage pay. This seemed far, far more important.

visualspice

It all happened so fast... she couldn't look away. She wanted to look away, but the events before her unfolded like a dream, where she had no control over fate or reality. And the axe swung down and Hyathia jerked her head away, finally broken from her shock as she kept her eyes closed tightly with all her might, fists clenched at her side.

And then, slowly she was remembering it was raining as she shivered and coaxed her eyes open to see...
She was fully expecting to see the man howling in pain, blood soaking the rain bogged ground. But instead, she saw the assailant lying on his back in a wide eyed panick...
It took her a few quick minutes and blinks of her eyes to realize...

Erin hadn't killed the man. Her heart fluttered at the notion and she almost didn't hear the red armored knight's words.  Right. They should keep him alive. They could talk. She swallowed thickly. Talk...

She wasn't sure she had the courage to talk to the man, her throat feeling tight, as if choked. But she continued to remind herself... 'You came this far..' She swallowed and took a hesitant step forward, then another, eyeing the man who,  she noted, was too afraid to move, that if he did so the axe might take off his hand.

She studied the man, all dirty and rain bogged and he needed to shave his graying beard. He.. was just human, his features reminding her of her 'Uncle's " (although he wasn't an uncle by blood relations by any means..) She continued her approach until fear cemented her feet again and she lowered her eyes, drew in a breath and asked, "Why?"

The man's eyes studied her sharply. Her hands tightened and untightened into fists at her side.

"Why was I targeted?  Why.. are men after me?" She had hoped she sounded brave and unafraid, but her voice quavered as she spoke.

The man growled a little, looking from Erin then back to the girl. He shifted uncomfortably.

"You're a D'al astarot." He looked between the pair again. "The whole attack.. it's meant to upend the duchy. Kill the men, those who don't back down.."

She began to realize what he was saying.

"You'd use their loved one's against them..:" she finished his thought out loud. She was shaking as she continued,  "But why.." she swallowed thickly. "Why me? I'm no one of consequence."

The man looked almost shocked but bared his teeth.

"You don't know?" The man knew her direct connection to the family was more or less fibbed and lied about openly but.. did the girl not truly know herself?

He laughed a little.
"You're the only living true blooded grand child and if you knew who your mother was.."

Hyathia went pale, now unable.to speak. Her blood line.. so.. the rumors she was a bastard child were true. But to speak of her mother..

She had to know more.

But then a sudden explosion from above made her cry out as she covered her ears. Oh no.. were they under attack again? Her eyes went up to the hillside path, where a massive plume of dark smoke was rising despite the torrent of rain.

Hyacinthus

D'al astarot. The noble surname swirled around in Erin's head as he mulled it over once and again, eyes glazed over with a contemplative fog. In hindsight, he knew the name only as the appropriately-flowery moniker of the current reigning Duke of Vythe, a man whom he'd not met personally in any of his lives. There were rumors about him; About his tactical genius, as well as potential dealings with the ulterior-- but rumors were often just that... rumors. Even those rumors, however, didn't suggest any sort of heritage-related concerns... Not like the man before them did now. Having long since relinquished Hyathia from his grasp, Erin crossed his arms and furrowed his brow as the name continued to bother him. Perhaps if he understood the political climate of Connlaoth a little better, this situation would've made more sense... but even then, he was no real thinker; He tended to solve his problems with the battleaxe currently embedded in the ground.

He was rather pleased, admittedly, with Hyathia in the situation all the same; Be it due to the fact that the immediate danger had passed for the moment or a result of her finally having enough of being on the whiplashed back-end of this rollercoaster of a day, the girl did seem to be finding her voice in all of this. He stood back quietly as she questioned the attacker, and suppressed a smile as more of what he could only assume was her natural personality flourished under the slightly less dire circumstances than she'd thus far been in. It really was good to see her able to act and speak on her own; He'd been worried she would simply shut down again at some point, but it was beginning to seem as though she would slowly yet surely grow amid all this chaos. A shame she didn't have a few extra lives to play around with; That really helped Erin break out of his own shell, in hindsight. He'd do what he could to 'cultivate' her as best he could in exchange-- to hopefully ready her for future trials to come. The gods only knew what was in store for her, given how today went.

The explosion in the distance caused Erin's gaze to flicker to the path ahead of them up the hillside, before back down to the man beneath them. Time was running short, it seemed. "We can't stay here much longer, I think." The crimson-clad warrior noted, his voice breaking the uneasy silence that stretched over the three following the echoing boom from further on. "What do you want to do here, Hyathia? If we leave him here, there's no doubt he'll have reinforcements after you by sundown." The implication was about as clear as the dagger at Erin's side-- a small, easy-to-handle blade anyone could've used... But Hyathia had earned the right to decide what happened next, in his opinion; He'd respect it either way.

visualspice

The weight of the decision felt like she held a knife blade, and she hadn't any idea what to do with it. She stood there a moment, dazed abd also very much numb over the idea of murder.

No.. no, she was not a killer..
But Erin was right. They'd have men after her if they just let him go. She brushed away the rain that tickled her face when the cuffs in her wrists hit against her and she froze, staring at the cuffs then to Erin.

She held out her wrist to him.
"We.. we could chain him to a tree.. or.. or something to slow him down from warning anyone," She suggested before holding her breath for his answer.

Hyacinthus

Erin's eyes focused on Hyathia's wrist, and then the fallen foe before them, and for a few moments, he did seem to debate objecting to the idea-- but only a few moments. Before long, he simply nodded, his smile replaced with a determined stare. "Yeah, we could do that." He replied, before looking back down at the man to be detained. Oh, he lucked out today; Had she said the word, Erin would have made a right proper 'Connlaothian Sign of War' out of his corpse. Stepping forward towards the defeated archer once more, Erin settled for a strong, sharp kick to the skull to concuss, at best knock out the man while he did what he needed to do.

Crouching over his body, Erin checked his pockets; It took a few tries, but a familiar jingle helped him to locate the keys to the cuffs he'd nearly imprisoned Hyathia in. Those in hand, he returned to the noblewoman's side, and wordlessly removed the metal clap on her wrist, taking it for himself. "Now then... Let's find you a pleasant napping spot." Returning to the man's body, Erin collected his axe once more before taking him by the collar and dragging him away to the nearby treeline that he'd originally targeted them from; And with the cufs, he chained the man to a tree thin enough for his arms and the shackles to reach around. Standing once more, Erin nodded-- truly a bit more of a hassle, but the girl gets what she wants.

"Right-- let's keep going. No telling when more of them will come looking for you... or him." The armored warrior noted, returning to Hyathia's side along the hillside path.