Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

In God We Trust [M]

Started by visualspice, August 27, 2023, 07:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Tags @Goldie

________

His carriage rolled across the cobblestones, the countryside of Connlaoth peeled away and the cityscape began to loom on the horizon.. soon towering overhead.

He hated traveling to the city, or rather any city in these lands. Connlaothians disgusted him. But the land was ripe of resources- from new technologies and rich resources of the lands, to the abundance of corruption in city politics.

You could find corruption just about anywhere.. but to weave yourselves amongst them throughout the world.. that.. THAT had taken two lifetimes....it was an empire- and had tajen his own lifetime... and his father before him.

Even still, to keep your empire healthy, he had to maintain the lines. As a figurehead, he was expected to show face on occassion. But with the war raging between its people, even Opus Dey felt the effects pull at his supply lines and gains.

He had stayed out of the civil war for as long as was possible, playing from the shadows and the safety of far away lands. But he couldn't ignore the north any longer, lest he lose his strong hold on those commodities.  Besides, there were many hungry competitors eager to see him out and establish their own throne among the damned.

So when his carriage curled around a side street to park, the tall man stepped outside and looked onward towards the bustling city square. A crowd had gathered, one that gained only mild interest from Opus Dey as he adjusted the dark leather gloves over his fingers. He could hear a man's voice carrying over the crowd.

Interesting... did he hear this man talk of... peace? Interest piqued, Opus Dey made his way towards the outskirts of the crowd, eyes falling upon the single blond priest passionately speaking from a pulpit.

He noted the armed guards were getting testy as the crowds began to grow. Interesting... Opus hung back, adjusting the hood of his cloak but felt compelled to listen. Were these protests truly suing for peace? And how long have they been going on? Strange words coming from what looked like a priest.. and these were people that worshipped a war God.
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

Cities.

Human cities.

They were nothing like she expected. Dirtier, louder, lewder than any place she had lived for the first few decades of her life.

She'd read about them, of course, from the elven libraries deep in the woods of her father's people, but nothing really prepared her for it. For the underhanded dealings that happened in dark alleys. The less than reputable people who tossed their hair and flashed bits of flesh to entice those who happened to be walking by. The merchants and vendors who shouted over one another in an attempt to outbid their neighbor and bring in more customers.

The elves had trade, they had their own dark alleys, but all of that was accompanied by...well...less.

Humans were delightful.

Humans hung on every second like it might be their last.

Humans felt so strongly.

Humanity was a part of her that had been missing for so long.

Saoirse hoisted her lute over her shoulder and adjusted her pack as she walked through the city streets. She had been warned this place wasn't as accepting of her elven heritage so she let her wild red hair cover her elegantly pointed ears and hoped her mother's lineage would mask the elven sharpness of her features. She couldn't hide the gold that glittered in her hair or flecked her eyes, but a sweaping plait helped make her seem slightly more plain.

As she walked, she looked for an inn or even a street corner where she would be able to compose an ode to the city. She was already humming quietly to herself as she mentally wove a ballad of the normal people she saw. A ballad of the mother whose children hung at her skirts and begged for sweets. A litany of the man shouting about the freshness of his breads and pies. A lament for the man pilfering a fish from a local cart and disapearing without being spotted. A call for....peace?

Her elven ears picked up the priest's words nearly a block away. They were dynamic, inviting, and they called to her.

So she followed, eager to put a face to the words.

So entranced was she by his passion, she bumped slightly into a cloaked man.

"Pardon!" Her crystal voice chimmed quietly, hoping he wouldn't be too perturbed.

Instinctively, she brushed her hair from her face and tucked it behind her left ear without thinking.
A duck walked up to a lemonade stand.....

visualspice

The much taller man almost didn't give her a second glance.  He was aware of his surroundings, and perhaps was amused when she simply walked into him. Despite being cloaked, a man of his height stood out like a sore thumb.

Perhaps now she would stand out more than he. That hair- red as ruby fire and ears unnaturally elven. He didn't hide his stare as he watched her, taking her in with a critical eye.

But then he said... nothing. And turned his focus back towards the crowd. 
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Goldie

Saoirse kept walking and scanned the area, looking for an inconspicuous place to sit back and listen.

The blonde priest's words were captivating, but so was the crowd's reaction to his words. There were some who seemed intrigued, but the overall hostility was growing and she could sense it.

"Art imitating life." She murmured to herself, unaware of the stares that she had begun to attract. Even the ripple of whispers that sprung forth as she passed didn't reach her; she was so focused on the priest.

Completely oblivious, she had just made a hostile situation worse.

visualspice

Danning Bengin Gates wasn't a tall nor imposing figure, like the cloaked man hanging to the back of the crowd. But he was sturdy of disposition and constitution.. and faith. In fact, he was simply radiating his passion with every word. It was for this that gave great appeal, the way he spoke.. the passion that commanded attention, empathy, and thought.

His words were also simple, preaching and reminding his fellow men of the word and blessings of Ansgar.

"It was our God, " he went on, passion and compassion fueling his words, his very being. "Ansgar himself, my friends, my fellow men, who taught us to 'love the mage' and know it's the magic that taints. "

The crowd was murmuring, people all beginning to exchange looks as the man's words changed to what the priest proposed. 

"In the name of Ansgar and the words of founding, put down your hate and embrace those less fortunate.  Embrace and help those lost on their path, poor of pocket or tainted of magic.  For not all men are lost and salvation is as easy as showing compassion to your neighbor. Love.. that's what we all need. Not this war. Not this defilement of the very words of our religion! Take heart, my fellow men! Take heart and abandoned this war before we kill our very selves, our very nation from the inside out. Take heart to care and nurture and forgive.. for these, my people.. these are the words of Ansgar."

He stared out across the crowd, blue eyes a blaze of imploring compassion.

"Let us end this war upon ourselves and learn to conquer the hate with love."

Goldie

"Hmm" Saoirse mused before rifling through her pack to produce a notebook. This priest was sparking inspiration and she wanted to write down his words before they were lost. This was the kind if speech that inspired people, that drove them and encouraged them.Take heart to care and nurture and forgive.. for these, my people.. these are the words of Ansgar. she wrote, completely oblivious to the rising tide of anger that swelled through the crowd. Her mind was already composing sweeping melodies to capture his words.

Without realizing it, she was humming a few notes, then a few more, then her notebook was tucked under her arm and she swung her lute around to pluck a few quiet arpeggios and broken chords.

The crowd began to take notice. It wasn't like she was hard to miss, but the music tore attentions away and onto her. Eyes squinted, whispers rose to chatter. If Saorise had been paying attention to anything other than her music, she would have seen the crowd calling the attention of the guards and pointing to her exposed ear.

Rough hands grabbed her, snapping her attention back to the present. Her instrument slipped from her shoulder and fell heavily into the crook of her elbow before scraping on the ground.

Then she was moving towards the priest.

"YOU! Priest!" The man heckled as he dragged her forward, "we found one of your beloved people chanting spells."

"Wait!" Saoirse interjected, "No, no, I'm a bard. I was just composing a song!"

The man's hand ripped across her face, leaving her stunned; her head spinning.

"What do you think, friends? Should we let this rat go like this fool suggests? Should we forgive the magic spewing from her lips??"

visualspice

The priest pounded his hands upon the pulpit, calling for order, for the crowds to stave their aggression. But it didn't seem anyone wanted to listen. 

The man in the cloak stayed back, but didn't immediately leave the vicinity. His eyes watched the elven woman like a hawk.. and how the crowd continued to get angry. A hand trailed over the hilt of a hidden blade- and then he tensed suddenly at what happened next. 

The priest leaped down from the pulpit, pushing his way into the crowd frantically. He was jostled about, shouting uselessly for the men to halt! That it wasn't right.

The priest's words were lost in the crescendoing chaos, and he- continued to struggle towards the woman...

The cloaked man was intrigued. So he decided to stick around to watch. The priest was being shoved around like drift wood in the ocean. But for now, none dare moved to strike him or fully hold him back.  

And the priest finally made his way to the men and red haired girl, breathing heavily.

"Let her go."

Goldie

She could feel the bruises billowing under his grip and, for the first time in a long time, the cold rush of fear traveled down her spine.

Stupid.

Gods she was so stupid.

People had warned her that Connlaoth was not friendly towards mages but she had let her pride and curiosity override common sense. If she had turned instead towards Adela, this could have all been avoided.

Her ears still rang from the blow and she could taste copper. The shouts and screams from the crowd jumbled together in her head as she struggled to come to her senses.

Other hands lept from the crowd towards her as the anger grew. Her notebook, dropped when she was pulled away, had been scooped up by someone in the crowd who let out a blood curdling shriek just as the priest reached her location and demanded her release.

"SHE IS WORKING WITH THE PRIEST! LOOK!" the woman pointed at the words Saoirse had copied while listening to his words, "THE MAGE GAVE HIM WORDS TO SAY. THIS IS NOT THE WILL OF ANSGAR"

visualspice

"She is not! Do not fall to the madness of your fears! Please! Listen to me! This is how we've been divided! Fear is divisive! Please, harming her will accomplish nothing!" 

But the priest's words were lost. Chaos continued to rage all around them. He struggled against the crowd, trying to force himself between the woman and the mob.

And the cloak man just watched.

Goldie

Things weren't going to come back from this. In the matter of minutes a disgruntled few had turned into a mob of fear filled frenzy. Saoirse felt hits, scratches, saliva as people screamed at her and spit in her face. Her instrument strap snapped and the delicate wood crunched under their feet. For once she was thankful she had decided to leave her elven instruments behind when she began her journey.

But what to do? It was so loud she could barely think. Her head had stopped spinning from the initial blow, but now more and more kept coming. She could see them turning against both herself and the priest and she was powerless to stop it.

Well....

Nearly.

In a moment of panic, the half-elf began to sing. First softly and then louder. She sang a lullaby and wove her will into her words.

peace she begged.

peace

Her crystal clear voice began to break through the crowd as those nearest to her began to settle. She urged them to think of their loved ones, the small children who waited at home.

Her magic was not mind-control by any stretch, but she was able to coax the listeners to remember good times and visualize things that they loved.

Hers was a subtle skill. One of suggestion only. She could not control what was seen, only that those listening might remember their own lives, their own wants, their own dreams.

The lullaby continued and she tried desperately to keep the real-life visuals to a minimum. In any other situation, she would let her illusions flourish so all could see and contribute, but that would not do here.

Even still, the odd butterfly twinkled around the crowd. A hint of a rainbow twisted through the sky before she forced it to disperse. A small child's laugh lifted to the sky.

It was working. The grasp on her arm loosened and she was able to shake free, still singing of course.

Escape was her main objective. She grabbed her broken lute from the ground and began her retreat, weaving an illusion to mask her firey hair in the process.

peace

She turned to leave when she realized, once the song was done, the priest who tried so hard to save her would be at the crowd's mercy.

Without thinking, she reached for his  hand to lead him away.

visualspice

He wasn't sure what had happened. One moment the crowd was threatening to suffocate him and the next... he felt.. calmed, his mind showcasing to him what he had just preached and he felt his breath catch. Was he being listened to? Part of him had reservations, trying to decipher the sudden turn coat of the crowd.

But then he felt someone take him by the hand and he was walking through the chaos, too confused to protest as he blindly followed. 

Dark eyes from the back continued to spectate, his own mind trying to fight through the illusionary aura. He hadn't considered he would have to deal with mages on this level. And he knew exactly the source. Quietly, he moved towards the shadows, keeping an eye on the elf with the red hair.

Goldie

Saoirse lead the priest through the crowd, sensing murmurs on the outskirts where her voice was becoming difficult to hear.

The moment she stopped, the calm would end almost as quickly as it had started. They might have....a few seconds to find a safe place.

She kept her voice loud, feeling fatigue creap in, but she had to keep going. The snapped neck of her lute bounced against her hip; a reminder. Her abilities stemmed from the music itself, not her voice perse, and if her instrument were playable she would have a much easier time keeping it up. Usually she would perform for small intimate gatherings in rooms suited for 30 people at the most. The accoustics here in the open swallowed her voice if she let her dynamics fall.

They rounded a corner, the sounds of disgruntled people growing louder behind them.

She stopped singing.

She turned quickly and pressed her hands against the priest's cheeks, "Sir. Please. Do you know where we can go?"

Through years of practice she found that touch helped break the spell faster, "Sir, these streets are a death trap."

I hope you can forgive me. I couldn't leave you to face their ire."

we need a place out of sight"

"WHERE ARE THEY!?" A voice cut through the calm.

"FIND THEM!"

visualspice

The priest blinked, stumbling as they ran before securing his footing.  Then he turned to the elf girl. The elf girl from the crowd! 

This time his stumbling was an attempt to halt the pair in their run. 

"Miss.. are.. are you okay.. the crowd.   They.."

Then he jumped, hearing the shouts coming from behind them. He turned to her and saw the fear. He felt that fear himself.. however..

"No.. I must go back and plead with them. Those people.. their anger has been stirred for so long. They're just like a lost flock of sheep."

Goldie

"Go back?" She repeated, unable to hide her shock. If she couldn't still feel the tenderness on her own chin where she had been hit, she would have assumed he  had been the one attacked.

She stepped in front of him and held out her hands.

"Please." She pleaded, "Just listen to them. These people have let their fear turn them. You won't reach them until they've returned to themselves. You call them lost sheep, and perhaps they are deep down, but now the wolves are in charge and they will tear you apart."

She took a step forward, arms widening in a display of vulnerability, "I do not want to cause you trouble. I am sorry that my very presence is the reason for this, but these people will not listen to reason in this state. Let them find peace. Let them return to their families. Once they feel safe, then you can reach them."

visualspice

The priest was.. torn.  On one hand, even he couldn't deny how the crowds had reached an unmanageable level. On the other... it was his duty to guide the masses.. the lost and confused.

Down the way, home and businesses were quickly locking up their doors. They knew better than to allow easy access to the mobs.. whose presence grew more frequently .

Finally, the priest stepped back, shaking his head as he still held the woman's hand.

"I can't leave them.  I can't not run away from the very anger I seek to quell. " he shook his head then glanced down the street. "There is a small antiquities shop two blocks from here. The old woman can keep you safe until the crowds calm. But hurry before she too, locks up her doors."

Ironically, the cloaked man was close enough to pick up this tid bit and and slipped down the other alleyway that ran parallel, seeking out the antiquities shop before slipping inside.

It seemed he had timed it appropriately as the old lady who owned it had been hobbling towards the door, a large blank of wood in her hand.

"Oh. I'm sorry, sir. Due to the riots, we'll be closed for the day."

Goldie

Saoirse gaped at the priest, taking a moment to process his words. Was he seriously considering it? Did he think he'd stand a chance?

"Are you and idiot?" She accidentally said outloud, completely dumbfounded. Welp, it seemed she was going to take the path of rude. In any other situation she'd cover her mouth an apologize but she didn't have time for that now.

"No, honestly, I have to know. Is this kind of delusion common amongst your race, or are you just the exception?"

Too rude. Probably.

Impulsively she grabbed the neck of her broken lute, the strings half attached and dangling against the body, and raised it with her free hand. She waved it at him.

"Listen. I'm always impressed by the passion you all have, but passion in lieu of common sense is what gets you killed before you can enact any real change. I didn't come here to help people die, I came here to see life. So stop trying to be a martyr and come with me before I wrap this string around your wrist and drag you there myself. Do you think she'll let me in without you?"

visualspice

Danning hesitated again. The woman had good points, even points he wanted to fight against. These people.. they needed so much help. He closed his eyes, drawing in a breath to calm himself. 

It was dangerous and had grown out of control.  It was best to let the fire's die and try another day.

"Very well. Let's make haste."

Before he changed his mind.

Quickly he guided her down the way and when the got to the antiquities shop, the priest saw the door beginning to close. He rushed forward, calling her name but she must not have heard because the door closed and by the time they approached- it was locked, barred from the inside.

Danning grimaced.

Then he began to knock on the door, frantic.

"Ezzel! Miss Ezzel! Please open up! It's Priest Danning!"

Goldie

"Thank Gods." She sighed under her breath as he finally started leading her down the streets. The sound of the mob was getting louder by the second and she was certain she had heard string them up echoe through the streets.

She had been traveling through human cities for almost a year now and had encountered all sorts of dangers, but never something like this. This type of anger was infections. If it were visible she imagined it would be tiny black threads weaving through the streets and sneaking up legs and disappearing into their ears and in their eyes.

Would they wake from this dream happy with themselves, or would they be ashamed? How deep did the infection go?

They stopped in front of a door. The inn, she assumed, but it was already barred.

Silence met the priest's desperate calls. This Ezzel was clearly not planning to open her doors, not even for someone with whom she had garnered trust.

"Might want to hurry it up there," What had he said his name was? Danny?, "Danny."

The roar of the crowd was getting closer and....was that smoke she smelled?

visualspice

No.. Ezzel wasn't the type of person to leave the priest to such a fate.  He shook his head and banged on the door again. 

"Ezzel.. please! It's priest Danning and I've come to beg of shelter! Please! Let me and my companion take shelter from the mob!"

But there was no answer, no stirring as Danning deflated. Ezzel...would she really keep them shut out?

A noise came from behind the door, and it creaked open. 

"Hurry inside!" The woman hissed.  "Quickly now before they see!"

Danning turned, smiling towards the red haired woman as they were quick to enter- Ezzel huffing as she replaced the heavy bar on the door. 

"You stirred up quite a ruckus; father.  But come in, come in. Like a storm, this will pass."

Goldie

Just when she had lost any hope on the door opening,the rough scraping of wood against wood reached her ears. She was surprised, but in a good way. So far humans had always surprised her and it sent chills of glee down her spine that she was truly unable to predict their decisions. Elves were much more....stable. Perhaps it came with age, some might call is wisdom, but they were always so thoughtfulabout their decisions. Always taking the time to make sure every choice was absolutely perfectly thought out.

It made Saoirse impatient.

Probably her human half.

She fiddled with a small gold pendant around her neck as the old shop owner ushered them inside (ooc: sorry! I originally thought it was an inn - I have fixed my brain). Once through the threshold, Saoirse let her broken instrument clatter to the floor before turning to help the woman secur the door one more time.

"Will this be enough?" She asked, subtly making sure her ears were hidden. Wouldn't help anyone out of this situation if she slipped again, "the mob is so angry I'm certain they wouldn't be above looting the clothes off the backs of babes."

The lady thought for a moment and then gestured to a large armoire, "Danning, you and that man over there - move this in front of the door. Quick now, lads."

She turned to the elf and crinkled her nose, "I know an antique when I see one. I'd bet my livelihood you helped stir the pot."

Saoirse sighed and rubbed her temple, "Unintentionally. I was just copying down his speech so I could compose a song. Unfortunately they took one look and assumed I had givenhim the words to say. Thank you for letting us in. I know it was in no way kindness to me that swayed you, but rather your connection with Danny."