Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Fallen...

Started by Rhindeer, December 28, 2004, 11:40:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

[MOVED THREAD! Authors, in order of posting: Nightcandle, Ketria, Small Wonder, Lynxmaid]

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/10/03 5:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All   Fallen
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 The last thing Paris remembered happening before he woke was that of his grip slipping from the faerie's waist and falling. Falling for so long that it seemed that he was floating. The boy couldn't remember if hitting the ground hurt, but right now he was in pain.

Pain like a white hot knife stabbed into his left leg when he tried to move them, and it didn't help that he was lying on that side as well. Both elbows were raw and red with friction burns the fabric of his shirt at the elbows reduced to bare threads. Each halting breath he took seemed to split his torso outward like an opening umbrella. The first thing he noticed after reawakening was that his mouth was slightly open, sticky with cold dry spit and flooded with the taste of dirt and iron.

The little boy groaned softly and lifted his head a little. Twin threads of vertigo and nausea braided a wreath around his head, and he set it back down. The landscape was beginning to warp before his eyes, becoming blurry and slowly swirling like his mind felt like it was doing. He coughed raggedly, and closed his eyes so he wouldn't have to look at the strange landscape.

One thing was obvious, he wasn't in Connlaoth anymore.

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/11/03 12:43 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Searching-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Two emerald green eyes peered through the trees he had been resting against as a strange scent hit the boy's nose. It was a peculiarity of his. Since he was one of those who could eventually befriend the special canines who lived at his home, he had been born with the extra keen sense of smell.

Blood. He smelled human blood. Not a scent he was that familiar with. The Tshaalka boy hadn't had much contact with them, but he had gotten to wrestling with one once. That hadn't ended well. Latre went forward a few steps, slowly moving aside a few branches as he peered into the clearing. Silky black feathered wings fluttered in alarm as the scene before him became clear.

There was an injured human boy in front of him! The young teenager bit his lip lightly, then looked around. No one else was around. Latre snuck into the clearing, slowly kneeling on one knee besides him.

"Hello?" He asked tentatively. "Are you awake?"

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/12/03 1:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Kinda
 The boy coughed again, a dark fluid trickling from his mouth and getting in the very light blonde hair that framed his face. He opened one green eye and tried to make some sense of his blurred and swirling surroundings and find the one that addressed him. No luck, he couldn't see much. He could answer the question though.

He exhaled loudly, "Y-yeah," his jaw and torso burned even with that one word. The corners of his eyes glittered with the beginnings of tears.

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/12/03 4:15 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Trying-
 Great! he was getting somewhere! Latre excitement dimmed when he looked over the boy once again and saw the moisture at the edge of his eyes. He lifted one hand to tuck away an unruly dark strand that was blocking his vision. The fourteen year old paused, he hadn't had much experience in haling powers, or well, anything.

Stupid over protective older siblings. He sat back. "I hope you don't mind if I try to heal you. I'd certainly want to be healed if I was in your place."

With a slow calming breath, Latre reached out one hand, placing one hand on the boys forehead and the other on his chest. "Usually this should work. And it shouldn't be painful. But...I'm a bit inexperienced."

His hands glowed blackish green and he muttered some words in his own language. They weren't needful, but they helped keep the power under control. "Here goes nothing."

He felt the warm energy flowing from him and prayed to his main God that this worked. He hated it when things didn't go his way.

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/13/03 3:21 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   !!!!!!
 The energy worked. Flowing into Paris' torso and up into his head, knitting as it went. It would have worked just fine...

If Paris hadn't moved. He jumped at the sudden strange sensation that was coursing through his form, rolling away from the other boy. His leg wasn't too fond of that action and screamed with pain, but he tried to ignore it.

He could see now, better than he had before at least, and could make out the older boy's dark wings, green eyes and...glowing hands? He curled into a little ball and peered out. He'd been touched by magic, now what would happen to him?

Those touched by magic are soon devoured by it, Were the frightening words of his instructor. Devoured? Eep!

"Wh-what did you do to me?"

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/14/03 1:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Confused-
 Latre had the common sense to stop his energy from flowing as the boy rolled away. The young teenager frowned, sitting back and folding his legs beneath him. Green eyes studied the younger boy. That was odd, no one usually moved. How odd. Latre took a closer look, taking in the boys features and the stutter in his voice. Was he afraid? Of what?

Latre was suddenly remind of the way the elders had looked at his sister and flinched remembering the fear they held because she was a silver. He shook it off and took a breath.

"I healed you. Or tried to. I fed some energy into your body, encouraging it to heal faster. Much faster." He folded his wings tightly to his back in annoyance, couldn't he have waited until he was done to roll away?

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/16/03 4:29 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Heal?
 Paris kept quiet for what felt like a small eternity. He reached a hand up and delicately rubbed his jaw, no pain. There was still the lovely taste of blood and dirt caking around his teeth but all the pain that was there before was gone. The small breaths he'd been taking no longer hurt his chest, in fact he found that he could breathe at his normal rate without any stinging.

Still, there was a flower of doubt growing in his gut. Fed energy? How could that happen? The winged boy was obviously telling the truth, the touched places didn't hurt anymore. And...and his elbows were starting to feel better, like they'd been soaked in aloe vera. He looked back up at the winged boy, establishing eye contact.

"But, magic, magic is bad. It can't do good things. Your spell is going to do something bad to me once I'm healed."

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/17/03 4:51 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Power-
 Latre kept eye contact with the other boy as he felt the slight stirrings of anger. This boy reminded him of the Council, except it was everything he thought was bad. What had he said? Magic? Oh, yes, what they called it here.

"Bad? Simple using my power? I healed you! Would you rather I left you there for some predator, sentient or otherwise, to come and eat you? I could have."

An echo of what had been said about his sister went through his mind and his eyes narrowed at he resisted glaring at the boy. So many bad things they had said, when the only thing they could consider bad was when she went after their parents murderers.

"It will do nothing bad," Latre said simply as he stood. He had come out of Xellria to find out about the world, and find his sister. But, if this was what people here were like, maybe he would be better off at home.

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/19/03 4:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Eh?
 Paris' face went blank, his elbows didn't hurt much anymore, his jaw and torso felt perfectly normal. The rejuvenating knitting feeling was now starting to creep down into his hip.

Mages are noble, too..."

That was what the faerie said, the faerie that wasn't like everyone told him magic users were supposed to be like, the faerie that didn't scare the animals, who was frightened of the guards and Virgil and only attacked them when he was attacked.

A light mist of water came over his eyes, he didn't know what happened to the faerie after they were both lifted in the air and he fell. Deep down, he found himself hoping he was alright.

His eyes widened a little, hoping for a magic users safety? Only when he remembered his teachings did the feeling seem bad, and even that bad feeling passed quickly. Maybe this person was like the faerie..

A brief look of shame flickered across his face and he looked down at the ground. "Sorry," he said softly.

His gaze stayed with the ground for a few moments before slowly flickering back upward. "Are-are you a faerie?"

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/19/03 5:07 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Accepted-
 The young teenager watched the boy and easily accepted his apology. He was a kid, and it wasn't like he hadn't ever said anything foolish. He still did. "Apology accepted."

He considered the question the boy had asked carefully. He slowly shook his head. "No, sorry. I don't even know that much about faeries. I'm a Sentria. Tshaalka to be exact."

Latre shifted awkwardly before remembering the common greeting that some people did out here. Humans anyway. He carefully stuck his hand out in greeting. "My name's Latre. What's yours?"

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/20/03 4:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Je Mappelle.... (heh heh)
 Paris bobbed his head, his leg hurt too much for him to stand, but he didn't want to be rude. Well ruder than he already must have sounded to the other boy.

"My name's Maverikko, Paris Maverikko."

The boy looked at Latre's outstretched hand for a moment, before remembering that grown men sometimes shook hands when they met instead of bowing. He reached an unsteady hand up and gently shook the offered hand. "By the way, what's a Tsh-aal-ka?"

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/20/03 6:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -That's a long explanation-
 Latre put his hand back to his side after they shook hands and frowned thoughtfully. He'd never really though about what exactly the Tshaalka were. They just were there. Perhaps he could start at how the three different races of the Sentria species were founded.

"Um...Well..that's hard to explain. Thousands of years ago, the remnants of three ancient races fled to here. Well, not here, but this planet, or a dimension both on earth and not. It was very strange. Anyway, the four leaders went off, and three created the three races that make up the Sentria species. The fourth...that's a different story."

Latre took a breath, trying to organize his thoughts before moving on. "Anyway, one of the founders was an Ella, she had feathery wings. She, and her followers, mixed in with certain powerful humans and humanoid beings, creating a new race. That was us, the Tshaalka. We all have feathery wings, and different degrees of power. Most have claws, a few have fangs or other animalistic traits. The weakest of us are probably Reds. Umm...we have some cities, and towns, but their very far away. Our hair and eyes can change to our power color when we're upset or using a great deal of power. Uhh...basically...we're us."

Latre shrugged in embarrassment. He wasn't sure exactly how to explain his whole race to him.

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/24/03 1:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Indeed
 Paris listened quietly while Latre spoke. Much of the explanation soaring right up and over his head. In the end, he was satisfied that they were themselves, and they were different from faeries. Geez there were a lot of strange creatures in the world. It seemed to be full of 'em! And they all seemed good, or claimed to be, where were all the boogeymen in the tales that used to scare him when he was a bit younger.

He nodded at the end of Latre's explanation, "O-k."

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/28/03 3:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Questions-
 Latre studied the boy in front of him and his wings fluttered with the questions in his mind. Finally he settled on the most glaring one, the one he was most interested in.

"So...Where do you come from? And how'd you get injured?

Ok, maybe two, but it wasn't everyday you saw someone with all those injuries and no one else around.

Paris
Unregistered User
(12/29/03 9:04 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Answers
 His leg was taking longer to heal than the rest of him. It still hurt too, he shifted to the right, and felt some of the pain lift away. He kept sitting that way, even though it looked like he was about to fall. The knitting feeling descending down onto the top of his thigh.

Paris looked up at Latre when the other boy stated his questions. "My - my home is called Connlaoth, and I---I fell. I don't know why I fell, I just did." He nibbled a little on his bottom lip and steadied himself with his right hand.

Latre
Unregistered User
(12/31/03 9:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Far?-
 The teenage Tshaalka tilted his head slightly, then frowned. He shaped the boy's homeland's name, muttering it a few times to get it right.

"Connlaoth? I don't know where that is. Course, I barely know where I am, so that may be why. But, you fell you say? is your land in the sky?"

Despite how strange that seemed, Latre could picture a whole other land in the sky. However, he would have though he'd would have seen it when he flew in. He leaned back to look into the sky suspiciously. He hoped there wasn't a land up there, it made him nervous.

Paris
Unregistered User
(1/1/04 2:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Castle in the sky?
 Paris frowned a little and stole a glance up at the sky. He'd never been anywhere in his life besides Connlaoth, and thus didn't really know where it was either.

"I dunno where Connlaoth is either, just that it's where I live. I don't think its in the sky though, I fell because I was hanging onto a faerie being carried off by..something."

Gee, that sounded weird even though it happened to him. He could only imagine what the other boy would think of it.

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/3/04 5:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -That's a relief-
 The 14 year old frowned. That was a relief. He enjoyed flying and wouldn't want to think there was a castle up there. On the other hand, now he was wondering where Connlaoth was.

"Uh...do you know what direction the thing carrying the faerie was headed in? North, East, South, or West? because it could have gone in a straight line and Connlaoth could be in the opposite direction."

Latre's mind was off on different ways to finds out which direction Connlaoth could be in. His black wings fluttered in excitement. He had wanted to see the world, and here he was learning about another new land!

Nightcandle
SotE RPGer ^_^
(1/5/04 11:44 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   <-- Paris
 Each one of Latre's directional terms sailed right over Paris' head. He didn't quite get what they meant, sure he could understand up, down, right, left, this way, and the other way, but as of now the cardinal directions were out of his league. And he was too shocked by the sudden sensation of flying through the air to notice where they were going. From what he remembered they were dragged from the window and soared somewhere, and then he fell.

"I don't know, I couldn't really see that well."

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/8/04 1:52 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Disappointment-
 Latre's wings drooped sullenly. That was no fun. Finally Latre stood up and stretched, looking down at the younger boy with a contemplative look.He eyed the boy up and down, noting that he had done a good job with the healing before Paris had pulled away.

"So, what do you want to do then?"

Nightcandle
SotE RPGer ^_^
(1/11/04 7:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Hmmm
 The healing was indeed working well, though it couldn't be seen the bones in his left leg were mended and the muscles were reconnecting. The whole thing felt like holding a zipper against the skin while zipping it up. He smiled a little at the odd sensation.

The boy spent a little time pondering on what he wanted. He could always take the time to explore, or he could go home. He could get in trouble if his father or Aunt Jinny found out that he wasn't trying to make his way back home. But, wouldn't finding home be an adventure too? "I want to find my home," he stated.

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/12/04 1:02 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Which way?-
 Latre's eyes brightened in excitement. That might be fun. For an instant the thought wormed through his head that maybe the boy wanted to do it by himself. The teen brushed it away with a grin.

"So, which way are we going? Does it matter? Hey, maybe on the way we'll find my sister. Though, I suppose she'd just send me home, so that wouldn't be fun. I'd be stuck with my older brother and twin sister. Sisters. Who needs 'em?"

Latre seemed vaguely off topic but he didn't seem to care, saying whatever thought came to mind.

Nightcandle
SotE RPGer ^_^
(1/13/04 3:35 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Lucky... or maybe not
 A slight smile flickered onto Paris' face and he shifted a little to sit on his backside, delighted that no reprimanding pain came from his fast healing left leg.

"I don't have any sisters," the boy announced, his eyes widening a little and then glancing to the side. "I've got an aunt though, and its like she's everywhere at once."

Then it dawned on him that he ignored the question to take part in the discussion of female relatives. Oops, he flushed a little and attempted to add the latest bit of conversation onto his previous bit. "I don't know which way, anyway might be good."

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/14/04 3:55 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Directions-
 Latre nodded his head, taking in everything the boy said and commenting on the family parts first, stretching his wings as he did. "An aunt, huh? I got some, but they and our uncles sort of shunned our family for a bit, more out of being forced than because they actually wanted to. They snuck in to visit us sometimes after we lost our parents."

Latre's eyes flickered with black as the last words left his mouth, years old grief briefly dousing his happiness. Then he shook it off, his eyes loosing the black and returning to his bright emerald.

"So, any direction. Well, let's see what I can find." Latre suddenly turned away from the boy, taking two steps and launching himself into the air with great beats of his ebony wings. He landed in an upper branch of a tall tree, eyes wide as he looked out at the land.

"Wow. There's a lot of land out there."

Nightcandle
SotE addict
(1/16/04 4:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   I believe I can fly...
 Paris looked up in astonishment when the boy took to the air. He could fly, that was almost unfair. The little boy spent a good deal of his time watching the birds that congregated in the gardens of his home, envying how they could move in any direction they wanted without being tied to the ground at all times. Of course, his aunt and instructors deeply ingrained in him that flying wasn't for humans and those that could were bad.

He didn't think Latre was bad, the faerie wasn't bad either. They were actually interesting, how their wings looked more natural than the drawings he'd seen of other humanoids in flight, with strange glowing jewels on their forheads and burning wheels around their ankles that were a little silly.

The younger boy kept his eyes on Latre all the while he was in the tree. He even thought he heard something, but couldn't make it out. Standing up, he tilted his head back so he was looking straight up. "Huh?" he asked loudly, trying to get his voice to travel up the tree to the other boy.

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/16/04 4:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Maybe you can see it too-
 The teenage boy looked down, annoyed that he hadn't been heard. Well, he was up in a tree. He frowned down at the boy, then eyed the branch he was on cautiously. Perhaps...

The boy launched himself off of his branch, opening his wings halfway to the ground and catching the air. He slowed his descent until it was an even glide and he landed softly behind the younger boy. "I said there's lots of land out there."

Latre paused and his eyes twinkled mischievously. "Want to see?"

Nightcandle
SotE addict
(1/18/04 10:25 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Ok!
 Paris watched Latre descend from the tree and grinned. "Alright," he said nodding.

Then came the invitation to see the lots and lots of land. How? Wait, that would mean that the boy would carry him up. Just because his first experience with being carried by a flying being ended a bit badly, it wasn't going to keep him from doing something fun! His eyes all but exploded with light and his grin got bigger. "Yeah!"

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/18/04 5:22 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Time to fly-
 Latre nodded, then eyed the boy a moment before nodding and crouching down. "Alright then, get on my back and be careful of my wings. You can be touching them, just don't hold onto them as we go up, otherwise we won't be going anywhere."

Nightcandle
Satanized for your protection
(1/20/04 5:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Hope I can get some frequent flier miles...
 Paris' eyes widened a little more, if such a thing was even possible, and he scrambled to his feet. His leg wasn't hurting much at all anymore, it was just a little numb, and that he ignored. Slowly, he walked around behind the other boy, reaching a tentative hand to stroke one of the feathered pinions. After a moment of wondering over the wings he wrapped his arms around Latre's neck. "Is this ok?" he asked.

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/21/04 4:18 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Darn gravity-
 Ebony wings flapped and stretched, testing their strength against the added weight of the boy. It was only a short flight, so hopefully he'd make it up quick. Latre nodded, smiling slightly when he felt on of his feathers ruffled. Too bad the boy didn't have wings, he seemed eager to fly.

"Yeah, that should be fine," Latre said, even as he sprung up from his crouch, feather's catching the air in great sweeps as Latre adjusted to the added weight off the ground. Finally he won over the gravity trying to pull them down and the flight became smoother. he landed on a slightly lower branch than before, but it was still easily higher then most of the tree tops.

"Alright, now slide off carefully. This is a time where you can grab my wings if you don't feel the branch beneath you. I'd rather my wings be pulled a bit than you fall off the tree."

Nightcandle
(1/24/04 10:18 am)
Reply | Edit | Del    Eh heh heh
 A wide grin cracked across Paris' face when Latre took off. Fly was fun! Especially when you weren't worrying about falling, or just what was making you fly.

When Latre alighted on the branch he looked down, and felt his heart constrict. They were high up, his leg throbbed a little with psychosomatic pain. He tightened his grip slightly around the other boy's neck. The branch looked little, a slight shudder passed through him. He didn't want to fall, not again, not so soon.

But, he couldn't see, not with his head all but buried in the back of Latre's neck. He'd have to get on the branch somehow. Hesitantly he loosened his grip around the other boy and reached a foot down to feel for the branch.

Once he was satisfied that there was a firm foothold for the foot he offered he slowly extended the other one, tapping at the branch like he did before. Now with both feet on the branch more or less he took hold of Latre's shoulders and centered his weight on his feet. The boy took a moment to breath and gather his courage before letting go of his companion's shoulders, though he kept hold of a section of his shirt.

He looked out and around. The land seemed to stretch on forever, it was so pretty. "Pretty," he thought aloud in a dreamy tone.

Latre
Unregistered User
(1/28/04 2:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Pretty Colors-
 Latre grinned slightly, at the boy's tone, wistfully looking at the land beneath him. "It is that," he said quietly, his gaze traveling over the land and remembering flying over some of it. "It's beautiful from up above...rolling plains and green forests, seas of brightly colored flowers underneath you, the water that sparkles with the reflected sunlight, all in one flight sometimes. It's a great feeling."

Latre blinked, shaking his head slightly, grinning sheepishly. "Sorry for rambling. So, and of this look familiar, even if it might be from another angle?"

Nightcandle
(1/30/04 9:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Indeed
 Paris looked back at Latre when he began talking of the wonderful sights one could see in the air. His eyes widened a bit in wonder, wow, that must have been great, being able to see such pretty sights any time you wanted. The boy looked back to the landscape, trying to take in as much as he could. It was all so magnificent.

"No, I can't remember any of this," Paris stopped gazing at the land beneath them and thought a bit. "I know what my house looks like though!"

Latre
Unregistered User
(2/3/04 2:21 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -That's not much help-
 Latre frowned slightly. Though knowing what his house looked like was useful, it didn't help choosing where to go. Emerald green eyes peered at the land and shrugged. "Ok then, pick a direction. Unless you just want to wait here for them to find you."

The teenager doubted the boy would choose that option. if he couldn't even see his home, or even anything familiar from here, what chance was there that his family could find him? Well, maybe he had a stubborn family, but still, there was a lot of land out there, especially if you went by foot.

Nightcandle
(2/10/04 10:05 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Eenie Meenie-
 Bump waiting, this was the first time he'd ever truely been on his own. There wasn't anything in the world that would keep him from enjoying the freedom he'd been given. He could almost feel the anger that would resonate from his aunt when he returned. It'd be wishfull thinking to hope that he'd be allowed to walk from his room to the next without having a guard in his shadow. That wouldn't be fun at all...

Paris looked around, still clinging lightly to Latre. Everything looked interesting, so fresh, new and begging to be explored. Best thing to do would be just to pick a random direction and go from there. If he was lucky they would have a lot of time before his family caught up with them. "There," he said, pointing to the east and beaming up at Latre.

Latre
Unregistered User
(2/14/04 5:17 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Time to go-
 Latre grinned and flapped his wings experimentally, briefly taking to the air and going higher, looking toward the east. He squinted and finally nodded. There didn't seem to be anything special in that direction, but that didn't mean anything. Latre glided back down, landing back on the branch.

"So, want us to glide back down and then walk or should we just climb down now and start walking? I can't fly for long with you, but gliding for a few minutes shouldn't be much of a problems and we'll be able to see the land better."

Nightcandle
(2/19/04 12:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Skyward bound?
 The choice between flying and walking wasn't a terribly hard one for the boy to decide upon. In fact, he didn't even think about it, answering mere moments after Latre finished voicing his question.

"Can we glide?," he looked up at Latre hopefully, occasionally stealing a glance out at the landscape.

Latre
Unregistered User
(2/21/04 2:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Time to go-
 The teenager didn't bother rolling his eyes and instead grinned at the younger boy. He crouched down again, carefully spreading his wings so he didn't knock the boy off balance.

"Sure. Get on. Like you did last time."

Nightcandle
(2/23/04 3:01 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Woo-hoo ^^
 This would be fun! Paris looped his arms around the older boy's neck again and grinned, clasping his hands together so he wouldn't slip.

Latre
Unregistered User
(2/29/04 3:44 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -On our way-
 The teenager crouched briefly then flung himself off the branch, wings spread wide and flapping hard to get them some height. When he was satisfied he began drifting downward in a nice glide forward. He eyed the land in front of them. "We'll probably land just past that forest over there."

He pointed quickly to a forest on the horizon as the land sped below them.

Nightcandle
(2/29/04 5:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Wo-oah
 Paris' eyes widened. Wow, flying was really something! The boy looked in every direction, drinking up the sights in utter awe. When Latre spoke and pointed he glanced in the direction indicated.

Good, the forest was on the horizon, it would take a little while for them to reach it. If only time would slow down just a little bit so he could see all the pretty land that sprawled beneath them like a toy. He began looking around more, eagerly whipping his head in every direction it could be manipulated into. "'Kay," he replied to Latre, shifting slightly to see behind himself.

Latre
Unregistered User
(3/4/04 1:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Gliding-
 The teenager looked below him, wings adjusting automatically to keep them on a straight course as he looked around himself. He sighed, pouting at the ground beneath him. It had some similarities to home, but it was missing so much of the good stuff. Especially the wolves. He'd be bonded to a wolf later if he went back. he was pretty sure he knew which wolf he'd get too.

The teenage Sentrian scowled at his won thoughts and noticed that they were almost on the ground again. He flapped to gain altitude, they were only over the middle of the woods, he wanted t go beyond them. "Almost time to land, I'll be slowing down a bit so i can find the right place."

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(3/5/04 6:16 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   time for a little...fun.
 Zeirne, settled lazily in the high branches of a tree, saw the two pass by, and quirked an eyebrow. Hrm. Wasn't everyday he came across another winged humanoid, so that was an unusual sight. Not that he cared, because he didn't. It was just...unusual.

But then, that slight interest turned to disgust when he sighted the...thing...on the kid's back. He almost had to do a double take. A human? The kid was behaving like some lowly beast of burden for a human!? How utterly disgusting.

He'd just have to set that kid straight.

And dispose of that human, in the meantime...and maybe the other kid, too, for the hell of it. Humans were about as worthless and vile as the fleas on a rat's back, a living, breeding plagueâ€"even the young ones, which would only turn into the adult ones he despised. Best to take care of them early on. Snuffing out their lives, and the lives of those who chose to align themselves with them, however, was a most rewarding experience.

Besides, Zeirne was just flat-out bored. Only weeks ago he had been Reborn, and was still recovering from the experience. Oh, he felt absolutely fine, if not better, but such an experience, of being consumed in flames and rising, renewed, from the ashes of death, was most taxing, and after that, there had only been rest and recovery for him. No havoc wreaking for him. How boring.

But he was feeling much more lively, and now, there it wasâ€"an excuse to give into the bloodlust, give into that predatorial instinct, and cause the chaos he lived forâ€"even if it would be a tad toned down...he still wasn't yet as recovered as he would have liked to be, unfortunately. And you could only have so much fun with a young one...adults were much more of a challenge. But it would be fun to scare the piss out of them, anyway. Young ones had the greatest reactions.

Summoning up the power of Fire, he sent a small orb of it hurtling toward the wings of the one carrying the human, and stood and snapped open his own flame colored wingsâ€"the colors of which faded from red to orange to yellow at the tipsâ€"preparing to take flight to pursue his "prey", whether the flame struck true or not.

Nightcandle
(3/7/04 6:34 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Wazzat?
 "Kay," Paris responded, still looking around. Flying was so wonderful, you could see all sorts of stuff you just couldn't see from the ground. The tops of the trees, fields that seemed to stretch on forever, big lakes that looked like blue puddles.

And little flying suns that seemed to chase after them.

Wait a moment, Paris looked away and blinked, then looked back. Yes, that was indeed a little flying sun, and it was moving at quite the fast pace. But, was it normal? He thought there was only one sun, and it was up in the sky where no one could reach it.

Now terribly confused, he poked the back of Latre's head tentatively. "Latre? Is it normal to a little sun flying after us?"

Latre
Unregistered User
(3/7/04 8:50 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   -What? Aw, Crap!-
 Latre almost nodded absently to the question until it registered in his brain. He didn't even bother looking, his senses telling him something was wrong. His wings suddenly folded into a diving position. He bit his lip when he felt the fiery orb scorch some of his wings.

Latre managed to land them, opening his wings in the trees while falling had been a bit difficult. Still, he'd done worse while racing with his siblings. "Da-" Latre stopped in the middle of his curse and remembered the younger boy on his back. He easily unhooked the kid from his shoulders and put him down, turning to him. "Crap, that was not good. Stay here a minute. That little sun was not normal. It was...Um...I'll be back in a minute."

Not knowing exactly how to tell the boy that there was probably someone who had just tried to kill them, the Tshaalka boy opened his black wings again and lifted himself up over the the trees, scanning the skies. His eyes turned black as his natural power flowed through him and he used that, searching for where the fireball had come from. "What the hell was that? Who tries to kill someone while they're flying?"

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(3/9/04 4:16 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Boo.
 As the two dove and, unfortunately, landed safely on the ground with the winged boy only suffering a minor scorching to his wings, Zeirne acted. Well, this would be more fun, having to hunt them down and all that. Would have been funner if they were adults, but, oh well, beggers can't be choosers.

Lunging down from where he was positioned, he folded his wings against his body and dove down to "greet" the pair...

And nearly collided with the winged boy as he flew upwards, apparently going to investigate. What a stupid thing to do. If someone was trying to kill you, you didn't go looking for your attacker. Not unless you wanted to die. Or were just incredibly stupid.

With a start, he swerved to the side to avoid the boy, going too fast to stop so suddenly without warning, and instead continued his downward trek. He could see the human down there on the ground...and he would take care of that one first. After all, it was humankind he had a vendetta against. He'd deal with the other one later.

Nightcandle
(3/10/04 3:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Hmmm
 Ok, so little flying suns weren't normal. He wasn't sure if they were, but recently he'd found out that a lot of things that weren't normal were at least real. Like fairies, bird winged people and now little flying suns.

He watched Latre fly up into the sky, and another winged person start flying down. This was getting weirder and weirder. He looked up at the sky with wide green eyes, not wanting to sit. If he sat he wouldn't have that good a view of the sky. And he wanted to see what was happening.

Latre
Unregistered User
(3/14/04 9:14 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   -Fire, fire, who has the fire?-
 Latre looked around thoughtfully, apparently not even noticing that he'd almost bumped into the one who had tried to kill them. Newly black eyes flickered downward to check on Paris and his eyes widened, catching another movement moving towards the boy. Well, wasn't he stupid? If his sister was here -- Well, actually, she'd probably have killed him for being stupid enough to be flying around with no cover at all.

No matter, she wasn't here, and he would have to handle this himself. Which was why he came here, right? To 'find' her, but really to go out on his own. And he was presently even doing that wrong. With a sound that reminded listeners oddly of a wolf, Latre dove back down towards the boy, trying to outrace the other to get back to Paris.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(3/25/04 5:15 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   I do, muahahahah!
 Lucky for Latre and Paris, the weird howling sound startled Zeirne, so much so that for a brief second, he hesitated, opened his wings enough to slow his sharp descent, and looked over his shoulder toward the sound's source. But that hesitation, brief as it was, allowed Latre to make it past him without his notice.

But then the moment passed, and when Zeirne looked back...gyah! Where'd he come from!? He had thought he was down there somewhere with that human rat. Erg. This wasn't a time to let his past fears get in the way; he had a fun and satisfying task ahead of him.

Folding his wings once again, he continued his sharp dive, and refrained from conjuring more Fire magic just yet. His skills were weak right now...if he did too much so soon, he would exhaust himself.

"So eager to help your nasty little human friend, are we?" he called after the winged boy, his voice oddly amused.

Nightcandle
(3/29/04 7:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   I think I'll shift over a bit..
 Were they falling? No, they were flying downwards at a rapid pace. Heading for the ground, at about where he was. Eh, if they planned on landing so close to his present spot it might be a good idea to move just a little bit, so he wouldn't get in their way.

He backed up, turning around to run for a nearby bush. Paris ducked behind the shrub and looked upward again. Hopefully it would be enough cover.

Latre
Unregistered User
(4/2/04 5:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Bad fire!
 Latre's eyes narrowed at the amused taunt, but he caught Paris heading behind a bush. Immediately the teenager twisted around in midair, put himself in between the shrub at the fire-wielding creature, and turned angry black eyes to his opponent. "What do you want?"

Latre attempted to make his voice sound devoid of fear, brave, but the words sounded like whimpers in his ears. He'd never fought outside of his siblings, and as his sister had warned, all the training in the world wouldn't prepare you when you were fighting an experienced opponent.

Too shaky to even attempt to raise a shield, Latre let wisps of black energy form at his fingertips. This was his pure energy, the only thing it could be used for was for harm. He could turn it into other things, which he always did. He'd never used it in its pure form on another living creature. "Why did you attack us?" Latre asked soon after his first question, his voice sounding a bit more firm, even if he didn't feel any less afraid.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(4/18/04 8:30 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   OOC: Many apologies!
Zeirne gave another start as the kid suddenly whipped around and stopped in mid-air, and he had to snap open his wings and backwing quickly to avoid a nasty collision. Oh, he wouldn't have minded knocking the kid to the ground, but a collision at that speed would have been nasty for the both of them. He didn't plan on dying in so idiotic a way, and so soon after just being reborn.

"What do I want?" Zeirne repeated, eyeing the whispy black energy the winged boy was conjuring cooly. "Nothing that you can't afford. Just him." He gestured down at the ground absently. He couldn't see the human anymore, but he knew the brat was down there somewhere. He couldn't have gotten too far.

"That's all. See? No big deal. really. I didn't intentionally send that flame at you, kiddo. Sorry about that. I was aiming for the human, you see, and you moved..." Of course, that was a lie. He had been aiming for the winged kid's wings. But he didn't need to know that.

Nightcandle
(4/19/04 6:12 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   *hugs* How could we think that Rhi ^__^
 Paris peeked at the two winged beings from under a branch. He couldn't see the other one so well with Latre standing in front of his hiding place, but didn't move to a better position. There had to be some reason why Latre was acting like that. If he stayed very still he could spy on them and see what was going on. Now if they would only get a little closer to the ground so he could put some of his snooping skills to work.

Then his foot began to itch, right inside the arch and to the side. The boy made a face and tried to ignore the annoying sensation. When that didn't work he wriggled his foot around as much as he could within his boot, which didn't help too much. He scowled and crossed his eyes, keeping his eyes on the duo, and giving plan one another run.

Latre
Unregistered User
(4/30/04 3:41 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   EEk! Bad me! Sorry you two, I should have replied earlier.
 Latre tilted his head slightly, the black in his eyes dimming slightly as his confusion grew. Paris hadn't been doing anything. Why would this thing want to hurt him? The teenager wasn't afraid to ask that. "That doesn't make sense. He didn't do anything to you. And if the fire had hit either of us, whether he'd been on fire or been knocked off, we both would have gone to the ground anyway."

Latre scowled and added, "You don't make any sense." The teenager would have ran fingers through his air in confusion if he wasn't still tense about this situation. His hands weren't moving from their ready position until he was sure about his footing. Or, perhaps floating was a better word.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/21/04 7:59 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Ooo!
 Zeirne smirked. "You're a smart one, aren't you? Kid, I don't have to explain my reasoning to you. The fact is: the human, and any others I come across, is dead, and if you try and stop me, you're dead, too. You wouldn't be the first, either, far from it. And I don't like killing humanoids. You're one of me. But don't think I'll hesitate a second if you stand between me and my quarry." There was a dangerous note to his voice, and as he spoke, a spark of flame formed between his hands.

"You got one more chance. Stand down."

Truth be told, he would have made a move already, but he was wary of the black energy the boy had created. Zeirne wasn't in the best of health right now, and thus could afford fewer risks than usual. He wanted to know what that black stuff was and what it did. He highly doubted the boy had a great deal of physical strength from his looks, but knew from experience that appearances were usually inaccurate in terms of sizing up magical strengths.

Still...he was also a man of his word. If the kid didn't budge, he would attack, regardless. It was simple as that.

Nightcandle
(6/21/04 10:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
Paris made a face. The itch in his foot just wouldn't go away, and most importantly, he couldn't hear what Latre and the other winged person were saying! Why did older people always have to find ways to exclude him from their conversations. At home they'd either retreat to rooms with lockable doors, or worse switch to a strange language of throat clearing, pointed questions of 'you know', looks and gestures.

Why was his foot itching so much!! Paris scowled at the deviant foot and, after a few moments, sat and pulled off his boot. The itching went away, somewhat, figures he'd have to actually move before something happened. The boy pulled his boot back on and again peered from his lookout brush.

lynxmaid
Unregistered User
(6/22/04 5:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Avian Stone's return
 Collanta wiped a bead of sweat from her forehead. She had been watching for some time now, knowing that soon enough she would have to say something. Her hawk, Kielle, sat on a tree branch beside her. She had nipped Collanta's elbow several times, trying to urge her forward. But the blonde girl had noticed the hatred of humans that emanated from the person she needed to speak with. She crouched behind the leaves, shaking with fear. Kielle had grown irritated. She kept threatening to nip at Collanta's neck. Finally, the girl made up her mind.

"Stop this nonsense!" She screamed, leaping out of the bushes. "Or you will all be destroyed. Especially you, up in the air." She cleared her throat. "The Avian Stone, the one jewel known to have the power to control all flying creatures, has been found. Those of you who like to control your minds and bodies would be happy to know that it can be destroyed. I have taken up the challenge to do this. However..." Her voice faltered. She looked back at Kielle for support before continuing. "I will need some help."

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/23/04 11:21 am)
Reply | Edit | Del    ANOTHER human!?
 Zeirne gave a start when from below a female voice screamed up at him, and despite knowing better, his eyes averted from the boy to look to the sound's source. His eyes widened momentarily in surprise as he briefly wondered where she'd come from, but a second later his green eyes had narrowed as surprise quickly faded, once again, into pure hatred that was only marred by the addition of a strange, familiar bitterness.

All this only happened in the span of a few seconds, and in an instant he had returned his attention back to the boy. He grinned, flashing oddly fanged canines that gave the half-phoenix an almost demonic appearance.

"Hear that? She wants to talk with me. It'd be impolite to deny the lady her wish, no?" And, mindful of the energy the boy held, he lunged forward and down suddenly and shoved his shoulder and elbow roughly into the boy's side as he pushed past, folding his wings to his sides as he fell in a controlled dive.

He did not, however, land next to Collanta. He had spotted Paris as he dove, and so he made a point to land close to him. After all, the whelp had been his initial target. The bitch could wait her turn.

Walking toward Paris casually and folding his wings as he went, he tossed a glance over his shoulder at Collanta. "Hmm? Oh, really? Interesting. Well, if you don't mind, I've got a rat problem to attend to, first, and then we can talk." Of course, the latter was a lie. She was a human. There would be none of this talking. Sure, what she said sounded interesting...but like he'd believe some crack-pot story like that. Humans would say anything when it suited them.

Lynxmaid
Unregistered User
(6/23/04 12:34 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del    Your Own Grave
 "Fine," Collanta said, her jaw set in determination. "I don't need the likes of you."

She whistled sharply as she turned to continue on her journey to find someone to help her. Kielle reluctantly glided over and landed gently on Collanta's outstretched arm. The hawk glared backward at the boy, her gray-speckled feathers ruffled.

"You're digging your own grave," Collanta mumbled as she parted the leaves and crept into the forest.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/24/04 3:26 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
    Say what?
 Sensitive ears picking up Collanta's mumbled comment, Zeirne turned to glance again at Collanta, who was retreating into the forest. "What?"

And where did she think she was going, anyway!?

With a frustrated sort of growl, he snapped his wings open and, with a few powerful thrusts, left Paris for now and instead swooped in front of Collanta, barring her path. His green eyes regarded her fiercely, fiery orange hair hanging wildly about his face. "Did I say you could leave, dear? I don't recall doing so. Now, what is it you wanted to tell me? The rat can wait...for now. But hurry, before it gets away."

He folded his arms across his chest and tilted his head to one side, birdlike, as he waited for her to speak.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

[more moved posts! This series includes two more authors: Kanina and Nefer!]

Lynxmaid
Unregistered User
(6/24/04 5:27 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del    Powers
 Collanta grinned at the chance to tell the story.

"The Avian Stone, a jewel with extraordinary powers, was lost centuries ago. It has the ability, if used correctly, to control anything that flies, whether it is alive or not. Rumor has it that the jewel has been found again," Collanta blushed. "Actually, a fortune teller told me. She also told me to go to the Light Mage Village. Whether or not it is hidden there, I do not know."

Kielle ruffled her wings and shifted her weight to comfortably rest on Collanta's arm. The hawk watched the girl with protective black eyes.

"She...she said that the journey to acquire the stone will not be easy," the girl continued. "But that I need not journey alone. I do not ask you to accompany me for me. I ask you to accompany me for you. If the wrong people find the Avian Stone, you will be under their control."

Collanta stopped and thought for a moment. She nervously itched the back of her neck.

"Besides," she started. "You have the power to destroy it. So...what do you say?"

Shikora  
SotE addict
(6/26/04 9:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del    bah, bored. and with a new character. so. I'm gonna join in!
 After she was finished her story of the Avian Stone, there was a movement in the woods, coming from somewhere behind Zeirne. The equine form had been standing stone-still, from the time the two were in the air, till just now. But now, she moved into view, showing herself. Right now, then dim light that flowed onto her coat made her look quite green. A faded kind of green. A long, ragged horn spiraled from her forehead, and her coat was a dull green-whitish colour, with several stripes interrupting it in places. But they couldn't be seen too well at the moment. The mane that fell down over her neck was slightly darker than the rest of her base coat colour, and that was all that could be told in this light.

Anyway, the being strode forth a bit towards the... fiery-winged humanoid, and the human with a hawk, then stopped, hesitating to approach. She didn't really care for humans, but, then again, she didn't really care for humanoids, either. The fact is, that neither had really done anything to push her either way. So she just stood there, and watched to see the reaction to her presence.

Nefer
Unregistered User
(6/26/04 9:30 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   .:: Speak? ::.
 Tall audits flicked forwards at the sounds. Beyond the bushes were a gathering of humans and animals... Or so her nasals told her.

Her wolfen head shook, her shaggy golden fur adorning her shoulders and neck resettling. The short, sleek fur on her long body was glinting softly yellow in the light, the whole nine or so feet of her body, including the long tail, hunched down to peek through a hole in the thorny bushes.

A tentative paw-like hand touched the earth, the taut leathery pads that were on just her fingertips touching the earth.

She placed her arm into the hole in the bush and ripped it aside, tearing thorn, leaf and almost uprooting the entire bush with her swipe.

Er... Eheheh... Her mind nervously chittered.

She placed her long, thin and furred canid-like leg through the hole, then bent down and thrust the rest of her body through.

Her graciously furred face dipped hellwards, she aimed it up, eyes glinting by the light of the fire.
Nefer was a creature of grace, and politeness by nature.

Her beastlike hand reached up and touched her chest, as she bent her upper half, still crouched, in a bow.

Her ears flicked up, perceiving everything around her.

A ... Unicorn?
Nefer's eyes widened. Why... ... A being seemingly made from fire?

These were all mysticals. 'Freaks' like her. At last, she had found some at least like-minds.
No home, no place to go, wanderers. Strange ones.

Her wolfen head scanned the crowd as she stood up to her full height, towering above most, if not all, of the bipedals there.

Her frame looked so thin, so vulnerable. Her teeth clicked together shyly. Best to speak?

"I am Nefer." She managed. "Sorry to intrude."

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/27/04 3:01 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
    Whoaaaa...
 Zeirne listened to the story, a bit distractedly. Part of him was absorbing everything the girl said, but the other part was growing extremely annoyed with the fact that she hadn't once shown a visible sign of fear. His wings twitched slightly, and the fingers of one hand drummed lightly on his arm. Very annoying, indeed. Didn't she know he could fry her right here, right now if he wanted to? It wouldn't take much at all, just a simple command, and he could make a bonfire out of her. Damned little defiant wretch!

Hr scowled slightly when she finished her tale, and cleared his throat. "So, what's in it for you, human?" he asked finally, scornfully, though for the moment he ignored the intense irritation building within him. And not all the irritation came from her--some of it was due to that fact that he was actually hearing her out. "Why do you care? What do you get out of this, eh? That is, if what you're saying is true. What proof have you, anyway, aside from your word?" His green eyes narrowed slightly. "The word of a human is useless. I need something more...substantial, you understand?"

Yet, before he could get an answer out of her, a sound behind him made him whirl around in surprise...and his face darkened slightly when he saw it was a Unicorn. Wonderful. The epitome of pure would have to walk in on him when he wanted to play with humans.

Gragh. Damn it all. While in the presence of a Unicorn, he couldn't kill. Or maim. Or do any other such entertaining, related act...

There wasn't a law, or even anything written in stone, that said that. Hell, and even if there was, he certainly wouldn't pay attention to it. Rather, in this case, Zeirne acted entirely out of superstition.

But, oh no...it didn't stop there.

Moments later, a wolf-like creature came out into the clearing...and Zeirne could have groaned out loud. Argh! Why was everyone suddenly so attracted to this particular area? Why now? Couldn't they wait?

As the wolf-creature spoke and introduced herself, Zeirne shot her a withering glare, "Yeah? You should be..." he growled, crossing his arms huffily.

Why couldn't people just leave him alone when it was plainly obvious that he wanted to make a kill?

Nefer
Alright! First post! Whoo-hoo! ^_^
(6/27/04 4:31 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del    .:: Sympathy for the Devil ::.
 A sullen look came over the wolfen one's face.
"We are proud creatures." She said quietly, barely above a whisper.
"It is in my nature to be polite. It is not in my nature to be forgiving."

She sensed this being's wont to cause death. She could feel it crawling, pulsing through...

"I apologise for wandering in like this." The previous astonishment was indeed gone from her attitude.
"I had been looking for people ... and animals ... such as yourselves for a while now."

Her teeth glinted in the low light. Ah, how it paid to have been eavesdropping.
"Now what is this about a crystal?"

Lynxmaid
Unregistered User
(6/28/04 12:14 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del    Unbreakable Bond
 Collanta narrowed her eyes as Kielle did the same. "The crystal of which you speak is the Avian Stone. With the right magic, it can control the minds of anything that flies."

The blonde girl turned sharply to face Zeirne again. "And, by the way, there is this thing called love. If the Avian Stone isn't destroyed, I could lose Kielle. There is a bond between us that none can break...except strong, dark magic."

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/28/04 1:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Love...feh.
 Zeirne rolled his eyes dismissively at Nefer's words, and probably would have made some other heated remark, but then she spoke up to Collanta.

He ignored most of what Collanta said, having already heard it before--and not feeling the least bit convinced. However, as to her final comment...

His gaze immediately snapped back to the girl...and his eyes narrowed to bright green slits as she spoke, his lip raising slightly in disgust to bare beast-like canines. Despite himself, his body had stiffened defensively at her words, and it showed in his suddenly taut muscles. Truth be told, if it wasn't for the Unicorn's presense, he would have attacked her right then. In fact, it was a struggle not to.

"Love, huh?" He repeated the word scornfully, voice obviously very tightly controlled as he walked slowly over to her, stopping directly in front of her to peer down into her face. "Heh...like most humans, you know nothing. You'd be surprised by just how easily the bonds of love can be broken. No magic involved, only pure emotion. I can give you the recipe, if you like. You'd be surprised at how closely related love is to hate. The two share many common ingredients."

A grin slowly replaced his scowl, though his eyes never changed. "Death can also break such bonds."

Shikora  
Kanina-the water horse
(6/28/04 3:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   pretty UNICORN!
 Tachnically, Aislynn was not a unicorn. Well, only part. The other half happened to be Kelpie. Though she looked enough like a Unicorn, what with looking like a horse, and a horn growing from her head...

She stepped forward, pausing only when the winged thing tensed on the subject of 'love'. This was getting to be rather amusing to her. So, she continued to walk towards them, then went to the side, to go around the humanoid.

"Death, eh? Never gone beyond the grave, have we?"

She spoke quietly, a small smile pulling at her lips as she looked at them with her eyes, that actually, seemed to be the same greeny colour as her coat.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/28/04 3:20 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Well, as a matter of fact...
 Zeirne's dark grin pulled into an amused smirk when the Unicorn came around to speak to him, and he could have laughed aloud at the comment if he still wasn't so pissed. Oh my...that was a good one...

The look he gave the Unicorn was patronizing, to say the very least. Just because he wouldn't kill or maim around a Unicorn didn't mean he couldn't--and wouldn't--be disrespectful, and even downright cruel, to it and others. "Obviously, you know very little about Phoenixes," he replied wryly. "Our very existance is based around the continuous cycle of life and death. And, as a matter of fact...I have been 'beyond the grave'--I'm a Phoenix. We die every five hundred years. And this 'beyond the grave' thing is nothing to get excited about, I can tell you that."

Truthfully, he actually couldn't remember anything after the flames consumed him and death came...but, then again, his statement really wasn't a lie. For him, it was nothing special...and if it was, he certainly couldn't remember it.

"And how about you, since you seem to know so much?"

Shikora  
Kanina-the water horse
(6/28/04 4:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   oh yeah?
 Be disrespectful? What on earth was respect there for other than hierarchy? For Aislynn, there was no hierarchy, and therefore, no respect was needed. His statement on death only seemed to make that grin of hers widen ever so slightly, if indeed a grin it was, as she was a horse, and she technically couldn't grin too effectively. Oh, but there really was no other word for it. This was the grin that the Cheshire Cat may have displayed, where he in this situation, full of mischeif, though hers would seem to be a little more maniacal than that of the pink-striped feline.

"No kelpie in their right mind hasn't visited the other world often."

But, then again, a question could be posed, was she in her right mind? Perhaps her left. Either way, she had been there, usually after every kill, she was granted entrance to the other realm, but she always came back, for the thrill of being alive and taking life.

Nefer
Someone new!
(6/28/04 5:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Milk and Honey
 Impertinent little..! Nefer's hackles rose with her mind's voice, unconsciously letting out a quiet growl.
How dare he treat her like some pup fresh out the den! Did he not know that...
Quiet yourself, Nefer. Her mind chimed once more.

Ah, living alone had its benefits. After a while your mind decided you shouldn't be so alone, and it developed and split into another half that stayed relatively quiet except to speak to you once in a while.

She started, just a quick jolt, towards the being, her long, clawed foot tensing in preparation to accept her weight -- but stopped herself. More... The voice, stopped her.

Just be quiet. Just go, your presence is not wanted here. Don't ever fool yourself into thinking that they care, Nefer. None of them do. None but me. I care for you. They are not happy to see you.

Nefer hated that voice, it stopped her! Oh, it taunted, it teased, it tortured! A soft whine escaped her as she touched her skull, her jaws clicking.

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! Can't you see I'm trying to listen!? She screamed back at it.

Ah but in the end there was only the voice and her, and there was only listening to it. What else was there to do? A stone with great power, discussion of love, and nobody who took her seriously.

It was true, she had used to be a proud creature, but she'd long since forgotten how... Her words were in truth, somewhat hollow, like her. A shell. She'd been cast off in the woods and growing up for so long, she just couldn't remember... How long was it... 100 years now? Give or take a decade... When her near-infantile body was cast out with the rest of the garbage.

Ah, no, no sympathy needed here. The Voice gave that to her. The voice Nefer called Apep.

Edited by: Nefer at: 6/28/04 5:21 pm

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(6/30/04 2:06 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Tch.
 ...Kelpie?

She was a Kelpie? Not a Unicorn? ARGH! Did he feel like an idiot for mistaking her! Then again, if she was a Kelpie, then she was a sea creature, and Zeirne didn't particularly care for water. Not the it physically hurt him--only water magic did that--but...eh...he shared a dislike for water in the same way the typical cat did.

Oh well. His shock at his blunder didn't last long, for in the next instant, he was positively thrilled! Hah! There was no Unicorn here, so those few rules no longer applied!

What a relief.

He didn't seem to have been paying attention to whatever else the Kelpie had said--at least not after she mentioned that she was a Kelpie...everything else, as far as he was concerned, was unimportant--and so his attention quickly wavered over to Nefer, who seemed to be having some, ah, issues. He raised an eyebrow slightly at her, then shrugged. Oh well. No concern to him. His business was with the humans.

Ah yes...where was he?

Shikora  
Kanina-the water horse
(7/1/04 7:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Nefer is away, her computer won't start.
 She watched the one who had introduced himself as a phoenix start to lose interest in her. Typical, she wasn't that interesting, was she? Just a green horse with a horn, nothing to look at... She thought about mentioning that she was only half kelpie, but, thought better of it. What they don't know can't hurt them, right? Ehe, perhaps not, but, in this case, maybe.

She stayed quiet, watching what happened between the phoenix, wolf, and human. This was getting rather boring...

Latre
Unregistered User
(7/6/04 8:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Back
The boy had certainly not liked the sound of the Avian Stone and was all set to join in to destroy it. He hated being controlled. And it wouldn't be good for any of his species. Akila included, and Sako and his own twin! There wasn't really much of a choice in his mind. He just had to help. But there was also the trifling matter of fire wings over there. He couldn't really leave Paris to the likes of him, or leave any innocent to him.

And then the horse creature had come in and Latre could feel some of the anger and fear being drawn away and his power flickering and the black power fading away as his curiosity took over. Here was something interesting! Not that he'd never seen such creatures, but there were more beings coming around, and that was always interesting.

So his eyes faded back to their normal bright emerald green and the young teen opened his mouth to say something. Then a strange female that looked a bit like a wolf entered and he was gaping. This he hadn't seen before. He'd seen wolves twice as tall as himself, but never a humanoid with wolf features. In fact, the most anyone got were claws and once in awhile fangs. He, in fact, got neither, but instead was one of the special few who had a unique bond with the canine species near them that was a lot like wolves except a lot bigger. He had a keener sense of smell, and as the fire winged creature had heard earlier before he'd dived after him, he made a few similar sounds.

It was understandable in that case, that the teen would be awed by the wolf humanoid, and said nothing for the longest time. It didn't mean he didn't hear anything, and he almost choked on the fact that fire wings was a phoenix. That was a phoenix? Somehow he'd have thought they'd be... nicer. Death and rebirth must have made this one murderous. The teen shook his head again, confused by everything. The Avian Stone didn't sound nice, however, and the green-eyed boy fluttered his wings nervously and turned his attention to the new human, landing in front of the bush he had been protecting.

"Excuse me miss, I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly would like to keep my freedom. Besides, an adventure seems just the thing right now. I'd be glad to leave with you and find this stone, if not for the fact that mister I-like-to-throw-fire over there will probably kill the boy the second I step away." After saying his small piece, he turned to the apparent kelpie who looked like a unicorn and the wolf humanoid.

He'd been rather rude, ignoring them like this. "And hello... everyone. I'm Latre Trisne. Nice to meet you all. " He looked at the wolf creature again, glancing at her admiringly. "We don't have any wolves that have hands. We do have some wolf like creatures that are really big. One day, if I live that long, which is debatable according to my sister when she's in a bad mood, I'll bond to one of them. What are you?"

Jumping quickly from his favored topic of the canines at home, he asked a simple question. After all, it was no use thinking of the small little pups that were being born in his homeland around this time. This Avian Stone was a more immediate puzzle, but as everyone seemed to be fighting, it seemed to him it couldn't get much more chaotic.

Nightcandle
(7/7/04 11:27 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 The boy almost jumped out of his skin when the female voice calling about an 'Avian Stone' echoed from behind him. He fought the urge to look in her direction, keeping his eyes on the two winged people above him, and still trying to listen in on their conversation.

As the red winged one swept down, Paris' eyebrows rose. Now what? He came close to the bush, said something about a rat problem and then went off to speak to the woman that talked about the Avian Stone thing. He peered out of the bush slightly, tilting an ear towards the two so he could hear what they were talking about. The Avian Stone thing, a gem that could control flying things? How many not-real things were really real! Just yesterday he would have thought the idea of a gem that could control birds a somewhat neat, but overall unnatural thing. But, now that he knew that there were such things as faeries, winged people, and little flying suns, the idea of a gem that could control winged creatures didn't seem like that far of a stretch. If these things were real, then why didn't anyone tell him so? It was either magic wasn't real, or magic was bad. So far both seemed to be pretty bogus...

A moment later another creature was added to his list of 'real things'. He'd seen horses before, and got riding lessons, but a green horse? With a stick on its head? That was a new one on him. Some guards had pointed sticks like that on the ends of their muskets, was the green horse's stick like theirs? Did she have a gun hidden under that mass of mane?

The wolfen humanoid was yet another addition. A person that had dog parts. He stared, she was so big too. He'd never seen a dog or a human get that big before, maybe being a dog/human made her really, really big. Since most of the conversation was strange to him he looked from the red winged person, to the green horse, to the doglike woman.

When Latre landed he gave the black winged boy most of his attention. One thing in particular caught his attention, Mister I-like-to-throw-fire-over-there killing 'the boy' once Latre stepped away. 'The boy'? Latre wouldn't be talking about himself, the red winged person was a little too big to be a boy, the Avian Stone woman was just that - a woman, the horse was a horse and the doglike woman was a woman too...

Err... that left him. Paris' eyes widened and he jumped to his feet, walking out of the bush and standing in front of Latre. He planted both little hands on his hips and glowered at everyone in front of him. "They better not," he fumed, using a this-is-not-up-for-debate tone that most adults used when talking to a child. "Or my father will give them the axe."

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(7/7/04 11:43 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   W00t!
Zeirne glared at Latre as he came to join them. Huh. And he had almost forgotten about the pest.

"Damn straight I'll kill the rats...you here or not..." he grumbled to himself, though he made no move to go after neither Paris nor the other human woman. He was mad with hatred, but he was no fool, and he knew when he was outnumbered. There were too many creatures here, and most of them seemed bent on preserving the humans, and even seemed interested in them. Well, interested in the bitch, at least.

Idiots.

But he was patient. There'd come a time when the humans would be left unattended. He could wait. He hadn't yet come across a human in the woods that he'd let live, and he didn't plan on starting such a trend.

Then the little rat came over and said his piece...and Zeirne burst out laughing.

"Oh, really? How utterly frightening. Now, tell me...how will your father know who to axe if he can't even find your body?" he asked casually, glancing down at Paris with a cold grin.

Nightcandle
(7/7/04 12:24 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Paris' eyes narrowed when the red winged person began laughing. His return threat neatly answered the question of who wanted to kill him. Maybe that's what he and Latre were talking about.

Besides narrowing his eyes and the occasional flutter of his nose as he breathed, the boy didn't move. As soon as the red winged guy finished talking he was thinking. Why did he want to kill him? Did he have issues? Sometimes issues made people want to kill others for no real reason. Virgil was always saying that one of the town captains had issues, and that was the one that kept killing people. His father had a name for the guy too...

"Why do you want to kill me?" his eyes narrowed a little more. "Do you have issues?"

Nefer
SotE RPGer ^_^
(7/7/04 12:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   .:: Nrr? ::.
 Odd orbs flicked from each of the new ones to the speakers.

Apep had silenced. One day, she knew, Apep would disappear, but for now... She decided not to think of it, it would only bring Apep out, talking again.

She turned her wolfen head to the one who was gawking at her.
"Err... Hello. I am Nefer... I'm a lycanthropoid... Means I can change shape between two forms at will. I'm basically like a werewolf, except I'm fully conscious in both forms and such. Yeah..."

"I've heard of Kelpies before. Never thought I'd see one." She said. She had been crouching, and she stood on two powerful legs and walked over to the Kelpie, looking at her. She stayed a good distance away, however. It was never a good idea to come too close to a stranger.

She caught a sense of something else canid in the area, and turned her head, muzzle gently testing the air. It was... The one who had been looking at her? Nefer curiously tilted her head and stepped in the boy's direction.

She let herself crouch and shuffle over to him. Perhaps it she appeared shorter than him she would not be so amazing.

"Hello." She said to him, looking up at him, audits pricked curiously, neck craned. Odd eyes glowed, one blue, the other yellow. She sat.

Shikora  
Kanina-the water horse
(7/7/04 1:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: <- Paris
 Wow, this was starting to get a little more exciting, now wasn't it? The kelpie-unicorn thing looked with mild interest at the others who seemed to walk up to this little gathering. Shaking a few obscure green-ish bits of mane from her view, before she realised that one of the humanoids was actually addressing herself and the wolf thing.

"Hello."

Ketria
Alright! First post! Whoo-hoo! ^_^
(7/7/04 1:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   < - Latre. Look, I have a name!
Latre almost snorted at Paris' question. It did seem like the phoenix did have issues sometimes. He narrowed his eyes at the fire-winged man, his wing fluttering. He didn't like the look in the phoenix's eyes and he was suddenly wishing Paris had stayed hidden for a little longer. Fire was dangerous to play with, and even more dangerous when it was sentient and grumpy.

Keeping one eye on Paris and the phoenix man, the young teen pushed down any quivers he might feel at the thought of having to use his powers to fight off fire wings if it came down to it. He turned to Nefer, the awe dimming down slightly as she explained, though the thought of such a creature still seemed amazing to him.

Latre nodded at the Kelpie's greeting, apparently it wasn't very talkative. He didn't mind, someone didn't have to be talkative to be nice. Instead the black haired boy again found himself looking upon the lycanthropoid who was shuffling in his direction again, this time crouched down shorter than him.

He blinked as he saw her eyes and tilted his head slightly. It must be because of both forms. Her human eyes must be blue, and her wolf yellow. He nodded to himself. It made sense to him. He returned her greeting. "Hi Nefer. So how did you come to be here? I flew."

He had indeed flew, following his sister, at first the remnants of her scent, then following the reactions of people who had seen her before she entered this land. It hadn't been hard; apparently some people thought it was odd for a young, apparently human, female to be wandering alone.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(7/7/04 4:48 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   You could say that...
 Zeirne's grin broadened in amusement at Paris' question, once again baring his sharp canines. Heh...the brat was pretty sharp. For a human pest.

"You could say that, whelp. I have issues with humankind, yes." He crossed his arms across his chest and tilted his head to one side, not seeming to mind as his red-orange bangs fell into his eyes. "Nothing personal, nothing against you. You see, I hate all humans equally. Hrm...well...then I guess it is something against you personally, actually..."

His wings twitched slightly, and he pulled them in tighter along his back. Argh...the brat was within lunging range, and he could do nothing until he had an opening big enough to be able to grab him and go. And that didn't seem like it was going to happen any time soon. Stupid traitorous humanoids...

How frustrating.

Nightcandle
(7/7/04 8:49 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Paris' attention was momentarily drawn away from the red-winged guy when he saw the green horse speak from the corner of his eye. The horse...talked....woah.

Though, when Red-Winged began talking his attention was drawn back. Red-Wings...didn't hate him he hated all humans so that meant that he hated him. A suspicious eyebrow perked over one of Paris' narrowed eyes and he began to tap a foot, because it felt like he should be tapping his foot about now. Red-Wings' explanation sucked. How could you hate something, tell someone that they didn't hold anything personal against them and then say that because they hated that something they hated the someone. It didn't make any sense. Magic and winged people and dog people and talking green horses made more sense then that.

And the, what was the word, bastard called him a whelp too. Maybe if he used some of his father's words he might get a little more respect. Paris' narrowed eyes became a full scowl and he pointed an accusing finger at Red-Wings' head. "You don't just have issues, you're f*cked up in the head!"

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(7/10/04 4:46 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   ...to put it bluntly, yes.
 As it was, Zeirne had been looking for a means to attack the brat, for the slightest distraction...anything that would give him room to successfully destroy the little rat. Just looking at the human aggravated him, and even sickened him. But when Paris pointed at him and said that...

Oooh...that did it.

Screw waiting for the right moment! He was taking the bastard down now!

A snarled "F*ck you!" was the only warning he gave before he drew his wings in tight to his body and threw himself at Paris, body a fiery streak. He didn't care how many people were around him. He would disembowel the little sh*t before anyone even realized what had happened!

Shikora  
Kanina-the water horse
(7/10/04 7:19 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   oh, excitement!
 At the sudden action, the kelpie jerked her head back to avoid that fire streak that seemed to leap at the little child, after the exchange of some rather interesting vocabulary. Ears pricked forward and a rather malicious expression was put on her features. Oh, goodie, this was amusing. Wonder how to further aggravate the phoenix...

At this thought, a number of sub-thoughts came to mind...

Well, we shall see what happens.

Nightcandle
(7/14/04 9:43 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
    <- Paris
 For a split second as Red-Wings cursed back at him and drew his wings in, Paris wondered if maybe...it hadn't been a good idea to say just that. Even if it did fit.

When the winged man jumped at him however the thought popped cleanly out of his head and two seperate urges took over the boy's train of conscious: the human instinct to run from danger, and his own stubborn logic that the obviously confused creature wouldn't go through with the assault. Instinct won and sent a dizzying surge of adrenaline through his veins.

Paris turned and ran - into Latre. The excess momentum from the collision sending him back to the ground on his rear end.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(7/15/04 3:58 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del    Eek!
 Latre had ended up gaping at the child and fire-winged man as they exchanged insults, and had found himself frozen when the phoenix launched himself at the child, watching in horrified fascination. Only when the boy had ran smack into him, causing him to sway slightly, did the teen jump into action. Literally jump, as he sprang in front of the boy, in between him and the fire wings, his eyes and hair both glowing black with mixed fear and anger.

The black energy had appeared by his hands again, but the boy didn't know what to do with it. He simply let out a wolf like snarl and crouched in preparation for the fire wings to attack him. Fear was making him tremble and as the streak of red came closer Latre lifted his hands in a protective gesture, warding against the evil phoenix.

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(8/18/04 7:35 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
    AH!!
 Zeirne was closing in, about ready to quite literally tear into the kid, when another shape lunged in front of his target. One that at first he didn't recognize, and was prepared to plow through, as well, until...

"What the--!?"

Snapping his wings open and digging his heels into the ground to slow his speed and gain control, he quickly leaped to the side to avoid Latre and his ball of ominous energy--and nearly toppled over onto his face in the process.

Geez! That had been close...in so many ways, too. He had been so close to killing that stupid human kid! Argh! Stupid winged-boy with his stupid ball of energy. If only he knew what that energy was, if it was dangerous to him or not! But he had not a clue...and in his weakened state, he wasn't quite up to taking too many risks.

Not yet, at least.

Panting slightly from exertion--another sign that he was not yet fully recovered from his recent death and rebirth--he turned and glared daggers at Latre and cursed venomously under his breath, but made no other move to attack.

Nightcandle
(8/20/04 7:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
    Lucky luck Paris
 Shouldn't the red winged guy be on him about now? Paris drummed up whatever remained of his courage and looked behind him. He saw, black wings... Latre?

Seeing Latre in front of him made the boy feel lighter, almost like he could fly himself. It made him feel dizzy, dizzy enough to flop on his back. He blinked and rolled over so he could see Latre and the red winged man. Red wings looked angry... Maybe it'd be a good idea to stick around Latre while Red wings was around.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(8/21/04 11:23 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Red and Black!
 The winged boy blinked a few times, staring at the phoenix. So, he was alive then? Latre would've collapsed in relief if he didn't suspect the fire-winged man would immediately attack either him or the younger boy behind him. The rush of adrenaline and fear gone, the strange glow stopped. His eyes stayed the eerie black they had been as Latre stood tensed, some of the energy still gathered around his hand.

"Paris? Are you all right?" The boy didn't dare look behind him to check out the boy. No, his eyes were staying firmly fixed to the scary and very angry phoenix. Even he knew you didn't take your eyes off something that dangerous. Of course, that was usually for animals, but Latre was sure it was for opponents with red wings and dangerous fire at their command as well.

Akila Trisne...Latre Trisne

Small Wonder  
Bishounen Hunter
(9/9/04 11:19 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
    AHHH! Somebody shoot me for my inactivity!
 Stupid, stupid black-winged kid! From the looks of it, he'd blown his chance and wouldn't get another for a long while--until either the kid dropped his guard, he recovered...or another human came onto the scene, of course. Or, until Zeirne himself left--which was unlikely, given his streak of stubborness.

For now, he simply folded his wings, anger boiling down to feigned disconcern, like a proud cat that had just made a complete fool of itself but didn't want to let on that it bothered it.

"Of course he's alright, you twit," he grumbled as Latre fussed over the brat. Okay...so, he wasn't quite able to pull off that whole nonchalant thing, after all.

Nightcandle
(9/13/04 3:13 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Paris opened his mouth to answer Latre's question when Red Wings answered it for him. How rude! And he called Latre a twit. How was Latre a twit when Red Wings was the one that got knocked back on his butt?

"I'm fine," Paris chirped as though he merely fell while running too fast. "He's not though," he continued, glaring at Red Wings and pointing at the man. Maybe this Red Wings was like Virgil, always angry and annoyed about something. As long as Latre would step to his defense he could antagonize this guy like he did with Virgil at home. And that thought brought on an epiphany, clearing the glare from his face and replacing it with one of surprise.

If he could find people that were just like the ones that were at home, did he even need to go home?

Shikora  
SotE addict
(9/14/04 8:29 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   POOF! *appears in cloud of magical, purple smoke*
 ((poor, neglected kelpie. I don't think Nefer will be around, she's having family.. issues..))

Watching what went on, she was getting rather bored. Ears twitched slightly, out of boredom of course, she figured that she might as well stay out of the way, and watch from a place where she was less inclined to intrude, or be inadvertantly attacked, like, say, on the sidelines. Turning, she was confronted by a tree, so she strained her neck up to avoid knocking her horn against it, and went around, to a more suitable place.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(11/7/04 3:02 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   *smacks self*
 Green eyes flickered back and forth from Paris towards the phoenix. The teen really had no idea what exactly he was going to do now, but he did take offense at being called a twit. "I'm not a twit. Your just angry. What is your problem, anyway?"

Hadn't he asked that before? Probably, but huffing the question at him let off some stress as he glanced at Paris. "Paris? Do you really want to stay here?"

He could, probably, get them out of there. or at least try. There were plenty of other people for fire wings to bother. He briefly noticed the kelpie to one side and was glad, at least, that there was one creature who didn't have to get involved in this pointless fighting. Stalemates, even he knew, sucked. As long as he had powers to fight with he'd protected the boy who had so suddenly become his charge. No, not exactly his charge... He was his friend, even if they had just met and there were years of difference between them. He had promised to help the child and he would, no matter what some arrogant jerk of a phoenix thought about it.

A new rush of confidence and determination ran through him and his eyes were flecked black as he kept guarded eyes on the man, tense and standing protectively near the younger boy.

Akila Trisne...Latre Trisne...Lesar Keshat

Small Wonder  
Gackt is God. XD
(11/7/04 3:36 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
    Rawr!
Zeirne's green eyes jerked back to Paris, meeting him glare for glare. "Oh, shut up," he growled sharply before looking over toward Latre. "None of your business. And yeah. You're a twit."

Yes, he was angry. He was irritated. Not just because of the stupid brats, but because they were stupid brats! The little whelps were actually keeping him at bay, and he knew it. And that was what was really irritating. He was too weak yet to take chances...and that meant he had to avoid tangling with a type of magic he didn't know the properties of. Which in turn meant being intimidated by some child.

No. Not intimidated. He wasn't intimidated. He was just playing safe and smart. You don't mess with something you don't understand unless you're confident you're healthy enough to deal with the consequences.

And what was more...all he could really do was resort to insults. Which was pretty childish in and of itself, but he was too aggravated to really care.

Of course...he could just leave. Or let them leave. This wasn't really going anywhere. At all. One stupid human...meh. It didn't matter.

But, unfortunately, this was no longer about Paris, really. More a matter of stubborness and pride. If he let them go...that'd be admitting defeat. To frickin' children. Yeah, that'd be a hefty blow right there. And yet he didn't dare attack the one kid yet.

This whole thing just sucked. He hated stalemates.

Hmm...maybe a different approach.

"What the hell are you, anyway?" he asked suddenly, glancing at Latre, though he didn't move from his spot. Aggitation was still easily noticeable, but he seemed a little...calmer. "You sound like a bloody dog, but have wings like a carrion-feeder, a crow." He raised an eyebrow slightly. If he could provoke him into telling him about him, maybe he would also be able to get a view into his strengths and weaknesses. He was a kid, after all. Kids liked to talk.

Nightcandle
(11/11/04 12:28 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 "You can't make me," Paris said matter-of-factly after Red Wings demanded silence.

Red Wings' fear, he guessed it was fear, of Latre made the boy bold. If he was going to keep saying mean things than Paris would say mean things right back, it was only fair. And it was kinda fun.

Paris looked up at Latre after he was addressed. Leave? There could be a lot to see, but right now he wanted to see just how angry Red Wings could get. "Why should we go? Red Wings came after us, he should leave."

Paris then looked back at Red Wings and smiled smugly.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(11/11/04 7:50 am)
Reply | Edit | Del   Someone's Mad
 Latre bristled at the phoenix's words, fighting against baring his teeth like a threatening (or threatened) wolf. A dog? He thought he sounded like a dog? That no good, stuck up, demanding ba- jerk! He winced as even when they weren't near he could feel his sisters' and their friends tearing into him for almost swearing. Even days of travel away from them he couldn't swear. Stupid girls.

Back to the phoenix, he'd said his wings were like carrion eaters! A crow? Latre actually did snarl this time and he wished he had claws like his sister. He'd tear that insulting... prick! apart. "It's wolf, you moron, and just because my wings are black doesn't mean they're like those worthless crows. Plenty of raptors have black wings you know!"

His eyes were flashing into black quickly and he knew he was growling so like the wolves he was one day supposed to bond. "And I am a Sentrian. Tshaalkan to be exact. Not that an ignorant bird like you would know what that was!"

Latre was fuming still. Most of the time he was a sort of polite young teen, but that guy had said he sounded like a dog. What the hell was wrong with him? He wasn't like those mutts who trotted along at the heels of whoever fed them. He was going to bond one of the giant wolves of their land, and had some of their attributes. They were wolves! Wild and free and much stronger than a common pet!

He turned glowing black eyes onto Paris, not even realizing how angry he was. He attempted to keep his temper away from the boy, especially when a nearby branch gave a hearty crack and split in two. Well, that wasn't his fault, surely. He couldn't be that angry. That there was black mist around his hands again was barely noticed.

He sighed at the question, the anger radiating from him being shoved down and the wisps of black energy that had been traveling around him slowly disappearing. Which was good. No more destroying things, which seemed to be one of the few things his power was good at. Healing he could do, if not as well as his twin, but he was better at battle things, despite the fact he was nearly always too scared to act immediately.

"Maybe, but didn't we want to go find your family?" Latre queried the boy more to give himself time to calm down than really wanting to leave at the moment. No, he'd been insulted and the most animalistic part of him was trying to tell him that he didn't need claws to tip out the fire user's throat.

Small Wonder  
Gackt is God. XD
(11/20/04 6:10 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Woof!
 "Wanna bet on that, whelp?" Zeirne growled at Paris' matter-of-fact statement. And then he scowled at his smug smile. Argh...the brat knew! After all, you didn't badger someone who couldâ€"and openly wanted toâ€"rip you apart unless you were confident you were secure! Or...unless you were a complete dumbass.

Looking over the kid irritably, he began to reason that the latter was probably truest.

However, his attention was, once again, drawn away from the human-brat as, to his delight, his words struck a chord with the winged boy.

Smirking, Zeirne gave a shrug. "Wolf, dog, same difference. Both suffer from mange and fleas, do they not? Though pets are a bit cleaner...not that a mutt like you would know. Ah, but I see I've struck a chord...interesting...guess there must be some truth to it, then," he mused, his own aggravation dying away with amusement at the boy's own anger. Heh...this was rather fun, actually. Not quite as fulfilling as slaughtering humans and the like, but, oh well. He could make do with other forms of entertainment. "Yes...many birds have black wings. Crows. Ravens. Vultures. Carrion-feeders, all of them. Your point?"

Smiling, he listened as the kid announced his species name, and gave an indifferent shrug. He was quite curious, actually...he wanted to know what that was. But he wouldn't let onto that. "Sentrian...no, I wouldn't know of that. But, the trend seems to be that lesser species don't like to be known...lest they be wiped clean of the Earth."

A branch suddenly gave a loud crack, split in two, and Zeirne glanced over toward it, then smirked and looked back at Latre. Hmm...that same black mist was around his hands again...since there was nothing around to have caused that branch to crack, Zeirne immediately linked the two.

"Mm...angry, are we?" he asked musingly, flashing white fangs in a grin. Was that all his magic did? Snap small objects? Hrm...he supposed he'd find out if the kid got any angrier. But he wasn't worried anymore, really. Weak or not, his usual careless streak was starting to return.

Nightcandle
(11/21/04 5:40 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Paris kept smiling and crossed his arms.

Then Latre and Red Wings started talking about some... confusing stuff. Somehow animals were involved, at least that was what Paris was able to pick out. He was so wrapped up in trying to get what they were saying that the first none confusing thing to pass through his mind - Latre's question to him - was given a blank 'ok' and promptly filed for later consideration.

Paris was knocked out of his thoughts when the tree branch snapped. He started, shook his head a bit and looked at both winged people. Latre seemed highly annoyed, Red Wings seemed amused. Not good, if Red Wings wasn't scared of Latre then he'd be able to say all the mean things he wanted. It wasn't fair, he was bigger and had wings. Red Wings should find someone else to bother.

Wait... Red Wings had dog teeth. Confusing, why would Latre be insulted when a dog called him a dog? Maybe he didn't want to be like Red Wings? Paris didn't want to be like Red Wings. Magic users were so confusing, maybe that was why no one was allowed to do it back home, no one wanted to be confused out of their mind.

Paris shifted his weight toward his right leg and looked away from Latre and Red Wings. Though, every once in a while he'd shift an eye over in Red Wings' direction.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(11/23/04 12:25 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Bad dog!...er, wolf.
 Latre clenched his fists at his side and growled deep in his throat. "I'm not a mutt. Wolves are wolves! They don't have mange or fleas!" Seething, the teen wished he'd learned more about manipulating his given energy before leaving. He knew how to use it as a weapon, that was instinct, and to heal, or at least give energy, and if he really focused, maybe even make a barrier. Right now he was wishing he could manipulate it into the water element and throw it at the smug burnout.

He quickly shut up as the fire wings continued talking and he clenched his teeth together, his acute hearing catching every word. His eyes closed and the mist turned into smooth orbs in the palm of his hand as his fists unclenched. Latre breathed and tried to focus inwardly. He shouldn't be letting this nothing get to him. His sister had always said he should never let his powers out of control. That was the best way to lose a fight.

A fight... Glowing black eyes opened, barely hearing Paris's ok as he raised his hands and tilted his head, snarling awfully like a wolf. Tenaciously he clung to the last bits of non-instincts as he was told he could rip him apart, he could move that fast. Something whispered a single howl would have every canine, wolf, fox, dog, hyena, whatever he wished, at his call. And for the first time, Latre got why his sister's sword was so powerful but so dangerous.

"I'm not a carrion-feeder. I'm Tshaalka. My wings define my power. Why don't you just shut UP!" Latre turned the orbs into one in each hand and his eyes flashed before he charge - rather stupidly - towards the red winged man. The energy was purely physical, like an extension of himself or a weapon except every single bit could attempt to push or tear. For once the boy wished he had claws to coat the energy on, make them sharper, lengthen them, make them hurt more. But all he had was energy he only knew how to use in it's natural form and instincts telling him to kill the one who had insulted him.

Small Wonder  
Gackt is God. XD
(11/26/04 10:51 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Bwahahah...
 Zeirne perked slightly in interest as something Latre said registered in his mind, taking his focus away from the strange energy that seemed to have solidified in the boy's hands. His wings defined his power, eh? That was a useful tidbit of knowledge to have. This whole time, Zeirne had been waiting for the kid to say something like that, anything that would give him any insight on how best to deal with him. It wasn't much...but Zeirne could work with it. He'd worked with as little in the past.

But he had no time to think any further on it. A moment later, and Latre was charging straight at him.

In other circumstances, had anyone charged at him like that, he would have been insanely amused by the blind stupidity of it all. A charge like that left so much open for an attack; Zeirne could fry the idiot before they ever reached him, or move out of the way and watch them stumble. It would be especially amusing if that anyone was around Latre's age, given Zeirne had years of experience behind him.

Currently, though, Zeirne was not amused. His initial instinct and plan was to dodge, get around him, and kill that smug little human brat, as had been his original motive for coming here in the first place; humans had no business here! But that all fell apart in an instant. In his state, he couldn't conjure up fire hot enough to kill on the spot, and even if he could have...

Well, let's just say he'd forgotten how fast, exactly, Latre was.

Latre's attack connected head-on, taking Zeirne off guard and knocking him backwards to land flat on his back, the air pushed painfully from his lungs. For a moment, he thought he saw stars as he lay wheezing, trying to catch his breath. And, very vaguely, embarrassment and hatred flashed through his mind, and a faint hint of insight; the kid's magic was purely physical. But these were all the vaguest of thoughts. He was more amazed and even overwhelmed by how much that had hurt, and how weak he really felt. All really surprising elements.

Damn...he almost felt faint from the pain, even...that was really weird...a blow like that should have hurt, but he should have been able to easily hold his own...he'd felt worse in the past, all unflinching. He'd had his blood spilled, his bones broke...and he'd still been able to carry on. Why should this be any different...? That was nothing compared toâ€"

He groaned slightly as, through the haze of thoughts, another one came, smacking him hard over the head. Oh...sh!t.

His resurrection. His death and rebirth. Crap! It had not done what he was thinking it had...had it!? He knew he was still recovering, he knew he'd be weaker than his usual self, but...but if it had done what he was thinking it had done, like it seemed it hadâ€"weak or not, the blow still shouldn't have effected him this muchâ€"then...crap, crap, CRAP!

The first hints of fear began to form within him as, weakly, he turned over onto his side and shakily attempted to push himself up, wincing at the bruises that were already growing.

Nightcandle
(11/30/04 8:09 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Paris looked back at the two winged people after feeling the wind brush past him when Latre charged Red Wings, and stared wide eyed as he knocked Red Wings down.

This was exciting! Paris grinned and balled his hands into loose fists. He wasn't going to join Latre though, that'd be kinda stupid and Latre was doing a fine job already. He could however revel in Latre's beating of Red Wings, hopefully it wouldn't stop Red Wings from making mean remarks, it was fun to bicker with him.

Paris inched a few steps toward the winged people. He wanted to have a good view of anything else that happened.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(12/6/04 2:00 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Re: Too many dog biscuits
 Latre crouched as his opponent attempted to get up, his eyes glowing back and baring teeth. He smelled like fire. Fire would kill and burn down forests his kind - No! His kin then, ran in. The boy blinked, his face oddly blank. He was a wolf. But no, he was Latre. But which was he? A snarl split the boy's face, making him look... feral. He was both right now. This was a dangerous state to be in, but Latre was in it, and it was so fuzzy... but the other was getting up.

"Stay," It was a low growl, accompanied by a flicker of energy, this time thrown at the fire thing. Calming breaths weren't helping and the boys eyes blinked and stayed eerie black, holding tenaciously to the power. In the part of him that was still him, he understood why he should have been bonding to a wolf at this age. It would have grounded him, kept him from giving in to instincts previously dormant.

Black eyes looked back at the cub - child, human, not wolf, this was a child - and moved a few feet, still crouched and glaring at the fire thing. He was in between the boy again. "You insulted me."

Another growl and a shudder ran through the teen. Something was not right. This wasn't him. He shouldn't want to kill him for words. His eyes stayed black as he spoke, but the glow dimmed and he took a shuddering breath. "You shouldn't have done that, ashes. It's not nice."

Akila Trisne...Latre Trisne...Lesar Keshat...Kitran Kyouryuu

Small Wonder  
Gackt is God. XD
(12/6/04 2:39 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Zeirne = in need of serious anger management
 Latre wasn't the only one experiencing...erm...technical difficulties. Zeirne was slowly pulling himself up, but got no further than a crouch when Latre spoke up, telling him to stay. And, oddly enough, Zeirne listened, remaining crouched and balanced over the balls of his feet, like an animal cautiously preparing to spring up to flee or fight. Anger and stubborn pride had been bleached clean of his emotions, and the only clear thoughts he could really think involved fervent explicatives. He was screwed. He was so very, very, very screwed.

God-dammnit! Why now, of all times, did he choose to realize this!? Then again, this was the first time he'd been reborn. He hadn't exactly been expecting this...he knew he'd be weak, but he didn't know that...that everything...that every ability he'd ever learned and mastered, that all that physical tolerance he'd built up and worked on would be...hells, it was almost like he really had been born for the first time. Everything. Gone. All except for the basic knowledge and skills he'd need for survival.

Wonderful. And here he'd though he'd just been woozy from the resurrection.

Gods, this was embarrassing...what was even worse was that Zeirne tended to wear his emotions on his sleeve, and what was even more frustrating about that was that he knew it. But, at the moment, he was still too floored to do anything about it.

But slowly, shock and horror began to fade away, and annoyance once again flickered back into existence as Latre kept talking. But it was a subdued form of annoyance, held tightly under control. Zeirne was rash, but he wasn't stupid, and he didn't exactly want to get killed so soon after returning to the waking world. Besides...if a phoenix was killed...the cycle no longer applied, as it had been unnaturally severed. With that in mind, Zeirne could rein in his pride.

A little.

"The world's not nice, fluffy," he growled, white fangs bared just a little. "Ashes"? What the hell was that!? His green eyes glanced briefly in Paris' direction, who had gotten gradually closer, but then he looked back to Latre as the teen moved in front of the younger boy, giving an involuntary jolt of alarm. He knew better than to take his eyes off of someone who was a threat, and the enlightened Zeirne now viewed Latre as such. Which was rare. Zeirne was always the threat! He never felt threatened!

But now he was feeling suddenly very closed in and trappedâ€"a foreign feeling for the half-phoenixâ€"and he shifted with obvious discomfort, partly from the unnerving feeling and partly because he was getting somewhat cramped in this pose.

Nightcandle
(12/9/04 1:08 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Red Wings was listening to Latre, he looked like a cat punished for something bad and trying to salvage any pride it had left. That was rather amusing, a person with wings like a bird that had an expression like a cat. It made Paris grin widely.

And then Latre got in front of him again. Why did he have to do that? Red Wings wasn't going to try anything if he was listening to him. He sounded bitter and angry, but if Latre were to give him another command he might do it.

The similarities between this Red Wings and Virgil were quickly piling up in Paris' mind. It made him wonder if his aunt ever had to beat Virgil up, that would be mighty fun to see.

He leaned over a little, enough so he could see Red Wings and snap back to standing straight if Latre was to look back.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(12/16/04 1:57 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   Just a little crazy
 Latre snarled when Zeirne bared his teeth, baring his own non fanged teeth. Parts of him remembered being non-fanged. Another part of him knew he had teeth just made for ripping the thing that smelled like ashes apart. A fire, but not. left behind after a fires. He was ashes, according to his nose. He took a threatening step forward, still in that predatory crouch, his eyes on the fire thing. Burn, it would, it would burn everything.

"You don't have to make the world worse. If you'd left us alone, we wouldn't be doing this, ashes. You started this. Wolves don't leave things unfinished." 'Tshaalka,' he reminded himself. Then it was cast of, put to the back. Right now he was a wolf. His opponent had bared his fangs at him. That meant he wasn't backing down either.

Yet he was shifting around. There were mixed signals there. Defensive? Perhaps. Latre tilted his head, staring at the fire-ashes-thing. Fire and ashes. All that was left after the fire was ashes. All that was left if he was allowed to get out would be him, the ashes. Black eyes blinked twice and Latre shivered. This wasn't him. he couldn't let it be.

But the wolf instincts and the wolf mind argued with him and the energy was flickering around his hands, forming into sharp two inch thin blades of energy. They hovered around and Latre struggled not to throw them. The boy shifted behind him and jolted his mind. Paris was there. Not a cub, or a child, but Paris. The energy hovered there eternally. He wouldn't make the next move.

Akila Trisne...Latre Trisne...Lesar Keshat...Kitran Kyouryuu
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Rhindeer

Zeirne didn't answer Latre at first, though it was tempting to. Wolf. The kid was calling himself a wolf? Just a little odd...though, oddly, unsurprising. He had gotten extremely defensive when Zeirne had insulted wolves. Hell, it almost seemed like something had snapped in him...and now he seemed to be acting like a crazy, mangy canine.

But this time, Zeirne didn't express his thoughts out loud. By now, as the weight of the damage his resurrection had done settled in his mind, his desire to be rash, outspoken, and defiant had faded considerably, replaced by an odd, strong sense of...intimidation. And, despite himself, it showed when Latre took a step toward him, for Zeirne backed an equal distance away from him.

His eyes had fallen on the sharp blades of energy that had formed in Latre's hands, far, far different from the blunt energy that had struck him earlier.

Crap. Yet again.

Especially since Latre had mentioned, ah, not leaving things unfinished.

Zeirne quickly began considering his options. He could A.) attack or B.) flee. But neither of those options sounded good at the moment. If he attacked, usually the preferred option, he didn't have a great chance of suceeding in this state, because of the wonderful weakness that decidied to rear its ugly head. And if he fled...erg...that was just cowardly. And besides, the kid had those nice dagger...things. Any sudden movement he made, even to leave, might trigger an attack from the wolf-boy, and unless he had really planned out an escape routeâ€"which he hadn'tâ€"was really quick and fluid in that movement, and the kid didn't decide to hunt him down...that wouldn't really work.

There was one other option, of course...but Zeirne couldn't decide if that was really any better than the other options. And it was just as susceptable to failure. But...it was also an option that could, perhaps, preserve some of his pride without getting him killed.

"Then...why don't we finish it. Truce?" He grimaced even as he said it, and it was said quite grudgingly, reluctantly. But hell, what else was there to do!? Still, though crouched, he took pains to pull himself together and make sure he held himself in a manner that didn't express outright defeat: head up, gazing directly at Latre.

Nightcandle
(12/20/04 12:08 am)
Reply | Edit | Del
   <- Paris
 Paris glanced at Latre when he snarled, that didn't sound good. Was Latre about to bite Red Wings? That would be weird, to see a winged person bite another winged person. If they had beaks they could peck each other... that wouldn't be too weird.

He heard a shifting sound, but kept his eyes on Latre, not wanting to miss what he was going to do. Red Wings was scared of Latre, so Latre would be doing the most interesting thing. The things that began to circle around his hands certaintly were interesting... They looked sharp, like shards of glass. Was Latre going to prick Red Wings with the sharp things? Or were they there in case Red Wings decided he wasn't scared anymore?

When Red Wings began speaking Paris started, afterwards turning around to look at the other winged person. Truce...? That word seemed familiar. Paris nibbled his bottom lip and tried to think of why that word was familiar, and more importantly what it meant.

Gah, why did Red Wings have to use such a tricky word? Was he trying to confuse him? Paris scowled and began to tap his foot. He knew this word, it was right there and he just couldn't remember what it meant.

Ketria
SotE RPGer ^_^
(12/21/04 4:28 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del   I knew I had this list of gods somewhere...
 Latre stiffened in surprise and shifted from his ready position, straightening slightly and still tense, his muscles still coiled and ready. He eyes the creature with suspicion. Did this one, who had been so interested in a fight before, suddenly ask for a truce? "You've wanted to attack us this whole time."

The black eyed boy stopped, glared, looked at Paris, and then at the fire winged male. "You've tried to kill Paris multiple times, whenever you saw a chance. Why in the name of Shlaen should I listen to you? What's to stop you from simply attacking us when our backs our turned. You aren't the most trustworthy creature. You attacked us when we had done nothing. You... you...!"

Latre trailed off angrily, a part of him pleased the offer of truce had made the wolf part recede for the moment. Beneath the surface it still rippled around and his voice had lowered into a growl, but he didn't find himself imagining him and his pack - which was nonexistent - feeding on the meat of this creature when he was gone. "Why should I agree? Give me one reason, ashes, and I'll swear by Shlaen and the wolf mother Kertini to honor it."

It had been a long time since he'd spoken either name. Invoking Shlaen wasn't so uncommon among his people, especially those who were his followers, but he was almost never used for an oath. It was to binding, and Shlaen had always been an unpredictable god. It was likely Latre would be paying for using him to bind an oath with missions for him later. And Kertini... She would not mind the binding, but she too might see for what purpose it could be used for.

It was sudden of him, but a part of him did want this to be over with. The phoenix hadn't fought back after all, and it was no good to hunt down his opponent if he didn't put up a fight.

Small Wonder  
Gackt is God. XD
(12/21/04 7:07 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Um...uhhhh...errr...good question, that. O_o
 Zeirne grit his teeth to keep from growling himself, and his wings curled in tighter along his back, flame-hued feathers pressing against skin and cloth. The kid was smart. He had hopedâ€"foolishly, perhapsâ€"he would just accept the offer at face value. Hoped he would primarily because it would both preserve his already damaged pride and avoid all the messiness of oaths. Now, frustration bloomed anew within him as Latre asked for specifics, and his fingers curled into the soil beneath him to keep him from balling his fists. How could he answer that in a way that would avoid all those complications he wanted to avoid?

Of course, he knew, with growing irritation, that this whole mess was his fault. Well, not entirely. How was he supposed to know what resurrection would do to him!? He'd always heard of phoenixes rising up from the flames unscathed, even stronger than before. But it had sapped all his strength. Why him? Or were those legends all fake?

Maybe it's because you're also part humaâ€"

Zeirne killed the thought before it could complete itself, even though it was too late. Even though it was obvious to him. He wrestled with that truth enough as it was.

Didn't mean he had to like it, though.

He was amazingly quiet as he switched his thoughts back to the current dilemma, mulling it over, though his brows were knitted in obvious anger. He could always just leave. Try to, at least. Maybe Latre would follow, maybe he wouldn't. The truce thing wasn't going his way, as it was...and if he didn't produce a satisfactory answer, anyway, he'd be in a fix. Neither option looked good. Hmm...but he wasn't really in a position to flee. He was still sore from the blow, and Latre was too close, still holding those sharp shards of energy. No, the only safe option was to keep going with the truce idea.

He could swallow his prideâ€"a littleâ€"if it meant living another day. It was no use being dead.

Problem was, he took it that Latre was swearing on someone of great importance, deities, no doubt. Latre was probably expecting similar from him, in that case. And oaths such as that were binding...very binding. Swearing on a deity for Zeirne was as good as chaining his soul to those very words, ensuring he would carry them out. And though Zeirne believed in his own deities, and knew an oath would likely be what he would need to convince Latre...he wasn't about to make such a commitment.

Binding oaths he avoided like the plague.

Fortunately, he had thought up an excuse. Now, to see if it worked, and if he could swear on something that, for him, would be less binding. Oaths on deities might as well be written in the stars for eternity, and though other oaths were binding to an extent, they could be broken with a little bending here and there.

"I know when I'm beat, fluffy, and I'm not stupid enough to keep at it," he started. Oh yes...humbleness was certainly not his forte. "That should be reason enough. You should take the higher road. But, if you need another reason...I would swear an oath on a God as I assume you were, but I have no Gods to swear on..." He trailed off suddenly, another sudden thought hitting him as soon as the words left his mouth. Something he hadn't thought of until he'd spoken the words, something that made his eyes widen involuntarily.

Shit, he was an idiot! How could he have not thought of that!?

"I...I do..I have a Goddess to swear on, though..." he said suddenly, his voice losing its confident tone, wavering slightly. "The Gods are...less interested in such matters..."

Truth be told, a fact Zeirne would never admit to was that he was superstitious, and his plan blew up completely in his face. Why did he have to speak before thinking it through all the way!? He'd nearly just denied their existence out loud. Even if he didn't really feel that way, it was still blasphemy. Why hadn't that occurred to him sooner? Well, obviously because he'd thought it was a great plan and he was being rash. And then, the only way to counteract it was to speak of their existence, covering up his blunder as best as he could while affirming their existence and counteracting that, as well.

Damn it...now there was no way to avoid the oath...

Well, maybe.

He sighed, wilting slightly. Gods, he was so stupid! "If I left, would you follow?" he finally said, voice downcast. Pride had flown completely out the window, replaced by embarrassment and dread. He didn't want to swear an oath. But, he also wanted to remain in one piece. He couldn't quite figure out which would be worse.

Nightcandle
(12/23/04 3:11 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del
   Enlightenment!!
 Oh... that's what it meant. Paris' face lit up when he dug up the meaning of the word 'truce'.

Fire Wings wanted to stop fighting. He started it, it seemed right that he should be the one to end it. But, would he keep his end of the deal? Latre beat him to asking Red Wings about it and Paris grinned smugly, crossing his arms and nodding when Latre trailed off.

Swear? Paris' cool demeaner was rocked a little when Latre brought up swearing. Practicing religion was an alien concept to the child, sure he'd been exposed to people that did so whether piously or blasphemously but he wasn't raised with any particular doctrine. Thus, when his companion said he was going to swear Paris' first thought was that he was going to curse at Red Wings. That was fitting, Red Wings deserved to be cursed at, he was a bastard.

Latre didn't curse and after Red Wings mentioned that he had a Goddess to swear on Paris remembered that the word swear had another, less fun, meaning. It was like making a contract, two people agreed to follow what was written in the contract no matter what. He didn't see any paper being drawn up though, Latre and Red Wings were saying names. Maybe they were names to documents that said what they were supposed to do? He didn't know what they were though! Maybe it'd be best if he drew up his own contract with Red Wings, since he didn't know what the contracts they were mentioning were about.

Then Red Wings mentioned leaving in a rather pitiable tone. He may have been defeated now but, without a contract between Red Wings and himself he could always come back and try to attack him when he was alone. Paris marched a few paces toward Red Wings, his arms crossed and a serious expression on his face.

"I will," he stated matter-of-factly. "I won't trust you until you sign a contract saying that you'll stop trying to kill me."

Anonymous

Latre stiffened at the nickname. Fluffy he was not. Just incase, he glanced at himself. No, he only had wings, he wasn't suddenly growing hair. It hit a moment later that it was a simple nickname, not unlike his ashes. Of course, his nickname for the phoenix had basis in fact. It was a bit like what he smelled like. Still, he couldn't help bristling at the tone and his eyes glowed again briefly. He struggled against the instincts. Rip-tear-Kill! they said, and he pushed them back. He was Tshaalkan, a Sentrian, not a wolf. Not totally anyway.

A Goddess would have done, if he had no others. But the other was suddenly reluctant. Latre's eyes narrowed. He darted his gaze around. No outside reason he would look suddenly reluctant. Then it was an inside reason. Perhaps his Goddess was as binding as his god and wolf mother. In that case... he was beat, and Paris really did need to be returned home.

He opened his mouth, ready to let him go, to wave him off and let them part ways. And then Paris strode forward and the Tshaalkan groaned. No way. He itched to reach forward and yank the child back behind him, but instead kept his eyes on the phoenix carefully. Any movement toward the boy would be met with further aggression. But, a written contract... not as binding if no Gods were mentioned. A simple swearing by their own names, perhaps?

He grinned suddenly. That could do. No missions for him, something sort of binding for the ashes phoenix, and it would calm Paris as well. "Anyone have paper?"

He didn't. Besides that fact, he doubted he could write a good contract in this common language they were using. His hands would try to write in his native language, and he doubted a contract littered with unknown words would do. He cocked an eyebrow at the phoenix. It was up to him now. He could sign a written contract. Or he could not. He would feel bad about it afterward, but if he didn't agree to a simple written contract, it would smell of treachery, and he would have to kill him. Or at least try. It was a wolf thing. And an honor thing.

Rhindeer

Zeirne's lips twitched as he repressed the smirk that wanted to form at Latre's reaction to his nickname. He looked...confused, to say the least. Oblivious kid. But then, Zeirne's nickname wasn't exactly obvious, as he was referring not to a physical trait, but to the fact that he, for some reason, thought he was a wolf. And he was also a kid. A wolf pup, in that case, a wolf pups tended to be fluffy...

Something like that, anyway.

However, all hints of amusement left him again as his attention returned to the present situation, as the younger boy suddenly marched on over and began to speak. And it was an effort not to strike out at  the human whelp as he spoke, that familiar spark of anger and irritation returning, momentarily overwhelming the sense of dread. Yet, he made no move, simply glared up at the kid. Though anger was the dominant emotionâ€"and usually always the dominant emotion, for that matterâ€"the fear and sense of humiliation was still there, and that kept him motionless. Gods, this was so stupid...

Except...wait a minute...

A contract? Sign a contract?

And the winged kid mentioned paper...

Zeirne glanced over at Latre, and took extra pains to keep his expression neutral, though a spark of relief had swept through him. Was the kid serious? Strong or not, he was still obviously childishly naive, because in Zeirne's case, a written contract was only binding if it was written in a God or Goddess' name.

So, his Gods were still looking out for him, after all.

Only, then there was the issue of paper...of which he didn't carry on him.

Just his luck. But there was no way he was passing this opportunity up! Anything to keep him from swearing a binding oath...which was the only other option he had been presented with.

He thought fast. "Ah...no...no paper, but..." Paper, paper, paper...what could be used as paper? Argh! And a writing utensil...erg. Nothing but trees everyâ€"Ah! Bark! Turning slowly, he reached out toward the nearest tree behind him, and haphazardly ripped off a tattered strip of bark. "This works..." And...a writing utensil. Hmm...well, there was an easy fix for that, though he wasn't so sure the kids would like it too much, if they had weak stomachs.

Raising his hand, he slashed the tip of his left index finger open with sharp fangs, and watched as the blood began to bead out from the small wound. "And this."

Anonymous

Paper... nope, Paris didn't have any equipment to write a proper contract. It never seemed pratical to him to walk around with paper, a quill pen, a whole other person and a notory stamp. He was about to tell Latre so, but at that moment Red Wings began searching fervently for paper and Paris decided to watch him.

Paris raised an eyebrow when Red Wings tore a strip of bark from a nearby tree and then bit the tip of his finger until it bled. He heard a story once that had a few characters signing a blood contract, but he didn't think anyone actually did that.

Of course, a few days ago he didn't think there were such things as faeries, winged people, multicolored horses, or giant dog people. It was almost a shame that he would have to go home eventually. There weren't any unreal creatures in Connlaoth, all of them were brought in and given the axe because they were magic users.

That train of thought sent another coursing through his head. Would these creatures even follow Connlaothian rules? They didn't object to signing a contract, of course they apparently had some contracts already worked out that they could just bring up whenever they needed to swear something. Maybe if this contract was given a name they could remember it like they did all the other ones they mentioned.

The boy frowned a little, shifted his weight to his right foot and shook his head. "No," he said flatly. "That won't do. You can't write a contract on firewood, you need to write it on proper paper with a proper quill pen and have a witness. Then you have to get it notorized, or else it's no good."

Anonymous

Latre, at this point, was willing to do anything to get away from this. It was too tense and instincts he hadn't realized he had were around, buzzing in his brain. No matter if the contract wouldn't bind, when Paris was home, surely the kid would be safer. Besides, if he mixed his blood in, it would be at least a little binding. Not enough that Ashes couldn't break it, but perhaps he would know about it if he did. or perhaps he was thinking wishfully.

He was biting his own finger, ready to help write the contract. He didn't care if it was blood. Bark would do. "That will do," He murmured to the phoenix.

But, apparently it wouldn't. Eyes that had faded to green stared at Paris. he was wondering if he was crazy. He sounded like one of the Council, wanting everything official and perfect. He sounded like royalty.

Latre did a double take. Had he been raised around this? He couldn't be old enough to know about contracts otherwise. His eyes narrowed as he looked over the child he had brought under his dubious protection, and then to the bark. Paris didn't understand. A written contract, no matter how notarized, held almost no bearing on them. Only their honor to uphold it kept it true. "Paris..."

The winged teen stopped, helpless for words, and then closed his eyes. He would try again. "Paper is made from wood, Paris, and blood is actually better to make a contract than a pen. We can all be witnesses. We can. As for it being notarized... this isn't an official contract of some group or of a government. No one would notarize it anyway. It's... It's like a treaty. Between two battling groups."

Latre was hoping the boy understood. He also hoped the phoenix had enough patience to let him explain to the boy. His teeth were blunt, but he still raised his hand to his mouth again and bit down with his canines, feeling a bit more blood well up than probably would have from a sharper, smaller wound, but it was still only a trickle.

Rhindeer

Zeirne closed his eyes, fighting against every urge and instinct that begged him to just murder the little brat to get him to just shut up. Zeirne was actually being nice right now. Never mind that he was only doing so to preserve his own life. That was beside the point! Goddamnit, this was really getting agravating to the point where he no longer cared what happened, so long as he got some ounce of satisfaction in the form of bloodying something. Notorize it? Witnesses? "Proper quill pen"?

What. The. Hell!?

Patience? Hah. The word "patience" might as well be a foreign word to him. He'd never had much of it. But, for this situation, he had enough to hold him back and keep him sensible. No, he actually wanted to live. He wanted this to be over with, he wanted to sign that bloody (literally) contract, he just wanted this stupid situation to end.

He dug the nails of his uncut hand into the bark as he waited while Latre explained to the stupid human brat thing why this type of contract would work, and when he was done, he opened his eyes again, if only a little. They were narrowed slightly in annoyance and irritation, and he was looking directly at Latre, ignoring Paris completely now. The bastard.

"Alright, so we're doing this now, right?" he asked, voice tightly, and very obviously, controlled. Then, without waiting for a response, he bit his finger again to get the blood flowing again, and haphazardly made some messy, bloody mark on the bark "tablet", down at the bottom. Upon close scrutiny, the name "Zeirne" had been spelled out carelessly...

That done, he shoved the tablet in Latre's direction. "Write whatever," he grumbled, wings curling around him defensively, and his green eyes flashed as he shot a death glare Paris' way, just daring him to make some stupid comment. Yes, he was brooding. No, he didn't care. He was just pissed, and embarrassed, and agravated, and any other combination of related, negative, emotions.

Damn it all.

Anonymous

Paris' frown began to fade at the surprise in Latre's eyes. And, not that it was important or anything, but Red Wings seemed a lot more angry at him.

On second thought, it was kind of pointless to try to get two winged people to follow the laws of the kingdom that would give their kind the axe. He didn't like following Virgil's rules, but then again he kind of had to, just because he was young and Virgil was older.

Even if young magic creatures had some freedom here in their lands, there was something that could stop even that. A majority. And, Paris had the slightest inkling that the majority here was in favor of signing the blood contract.

That inkling became a fact when Latre explained that the wood and blood was just as good as paper and a quill. When he mentioned treaties Paris' face lit up a bit. Well, at least until he realized that treaties kind of had to be notorized too. He didn't feel bold enough at the moment to suggest that though.

He glanced away from both the winged people when Latre pulled his finger up to this teeth, feeling quite alienated and for the first time since this ordeal began: kinda homesick.

Then another thought took over. How was he going to get blood to sign the contract? His teeth weren't sharp enough to draw blood, he didn't have sharp fingernails or a knife or anything. He didn't want to say anything about not being able to get any blood though. If he had to bloody himself to sign the contract he wanted to do it himself, if possible.

The contract was starting to look like more and more of a bad idea with each second. At this point Paris would have rather had Red Wings keep trying to kill him. It was a lot better than what was happening right now. There was no way to stop them from writing the contract now, both winged people had already bitten themselves. The best thing he could now was pay attention and try to find some way to cut himself. Paris glanced back in time to see Red Wings toss the wood at Latre and demand that something be written.

He also shot Paris a scary look that sent shivers up his spine. The boy paled a bit, his eyes widened and he began nibbling on his bottom lip.

Maybe it'd be best if he just ran. His feet twitched, eagerly accepting the idea.

But, if he ran Red Wings might chase him. The winged man was looking right at him with that scary face that reminded him of how the guards looked when they were looking at a magic user. No, running was probably the stupidest thing to do.

At least Latre got to sign before he did. That was one benefit of being young, always getting to go last. It would give him some time to think of a way to bloody himself. His best options still pointed to having one of the winged people do it for him. Paris' head began to feel light and his stomach lurched, he sat down and looked at his hand. If he bit on it long enough would it break the skin? Paris swallowed and lifted his left hand, staring at it like it was some dreadful vegetable parents forced down their children's throats, biting on the first joint up from the knuckle on his pointer finger.

Anonymous

Latre ignored the guilt that swelled up as he studied Paris and turned away to the bark that he quickly grabbed from the phoenix. There wasn't much of a choice. he didn't want to accidentally -or even worse, purposefully - kill someone and if this would get him out of it, he didn't really care about the proper way. Sure, it wasn't as binding as a God taken oath, but it was the best they were going to get.

He signed his name at the bottom first before carefully considering his words. Finally, he decided on just one sentence, considering it was blood and he wanted it written before his finger healed up. "The undersigned beings from this moment on agree to cease all hostilities." Latre considered the sentence he had written in the common speech of the land and shrugged. He didn't know how to write a proper contract. This would do.

Then his green eyes swung to Paris and he sighed as he saw the human biting at his finger. Sure, his teeth weren't as sharp as a wolves, but they weren't human blunt either. In fact, he was pretty sure his teeth were sharper today than they had been yesterday. it was a bit odd, but considering he'd just been thinking of himself as a wolf a few minutes ago, he could take a few side affects. He ran his tongue across his teeth and shrugged. They still weren't predator sharp, so as long as he didn't get too far off the beaten track, no one would notice teeth a bit sharper than normal.

"That bush, over there, it has thorns. You can sign with that. Or add anything you want. I'm not very good at making a contract." He tried to smile but the smaller boy didn't seem very happy right now, so he held the bark out toward the boy and waited.

Rhindeer

Zeirne couldn't help but snicker a little as he watched the human's little struggle as he tried to find a way, obviously, to get some blood flowing. it was actually pretty amusing...him staring at his finger like it was some horrible thing before gnawing hopelessly on it with blunt human teeth. Yes...quite amusing. He wouldn't be drawing any blood soon going about it like that. Hopefully it hurt a lot, too.

In any case, amusement soon replaced anger, if not hostility; that flame of hate and loathing always burned strong within Zeirne, even if it was sometimes fanned down. Zeirne had a lot of mood swings, but some things were always constant, if only toned down a little here and there.

"I can make you bleed," Zeirne offered up all too kindly and all too casually, grinning just enough to show a hint of fang. He was fully aware of Latre right there, and no less cautious, but...he just couldn't help the comment. And, after all, he was only trying to be helpful. Really. "Just come over here. I'll...help you."

He didn't think even the human brat was stupid enough to fall for it, but was nonetheless disappointed when Latre pointed out the obvious thorn-decorated bush nearly. Well, not too disappointd, considering the sooner this was done the sooner he could leave, but...it still would have been fun to mess with the boy's head a bit more.

Anonymous

Paris continued to chew his finger, doing nothing but making the joint hurt. It was like being pinched by several different hands on one place. His teeth wouldn't find purchase on his skin, no matter how hard he bit down on his finger.

Then Red Wings offered to help him in a tone that made Paris' eyes cross. If he actually whent over to the winged person he'd probably get his head bitten off or something. Red Wings was the last person he wanted to help him bleed...

Luckily, Latre told him about a thorny bush. He was familiar enough with thorn bushes, there were several types of plants in the gardens at home that were barbed in some way. When he was younger he got a few nasty pricks from either curiously poking or leaning against them. A thorn had a thin tip like a pen too.

He took his finger out of his mouth and it began to sting a little. There was a slight indention from one of his teeth that filled back out once blood began flowing back into the finger. Paris shook his hand a bit and looked at the bush a moment before walking up to it. He could see the thorns, it was hard not to they were all over the branches. Getting one to use as a pen would be hard. But, it was that or let his hand be bitten by one of the winged people... and Red Wings seemed a bit too eager to do that.

Paris took a deep breath and extended a hand toward the bush, snaking his fingers out of the way of some thorns before grabbing onto one of them. He pulled, it stuck fast. He pulled again, it didn't move and his hand grazed the points of a couple other thorns, opening a few scratches. Paris scowled and twisted his hand around, the thorn didn't move and he scratched his hand again, this time causing a few beads of blood to ooze from the scratches. Maybe pulling the branch would work. He looked for a spot that was clear enough for his hand. Nope, the branch was a little thick too, it probably wouldn't give. Paris took his hand out of his bush and looked at it. Well, there was blood on his hand. He just didn't want to use his finger to write...

A leaf. The stem of a leaf could be thin enough to use. He rubbed the back of his hand against the thorns again, tearing open more scratches. That should be enough, now for that leaf. Paris trotted over to another bush, plucked one of the leaves from it and ran back to Latre.

He dipped the stem of the leaf into one blood bubble and read the contract. It was good enough, since it wasn't a Connlaothian contract it probably didn't need any more stipulations. Then he read the names, he saw Latre's and another that looked like... Paris squinted... Z-e-i-r-n-e. So Red Wings' name was Zeirne, he glanced at the winged man, wondering briefly how the name was pronounced before looking back at the contract. He took it and sat down, balancing it on his leg and began to write. His cut hand was also his writing hand, so he had to write a little, shift the leaf to his other hand, dip it in more blood, shift it back, write more and so on.

It took him a while to sign, but when he was finished he stood and handed the contract back to Latre. He signed in one of the corners near the bottom, the signature was in uneven, slightly tilted cursive: 'Prince Paris Maverikko of Connlaoth'.

Anonymous

Latre's green eyes narrowed as Zeirne offered his help, a bit too amicable for his liking. He resisted the urge to bear his teeth at the phoenix. That wasn't something that his kind did, normally, even the ones born with fangs. Fists and grim faces were more common, despite claws and fangs. He would not give in to the wild instincts coursing through him. "Somehow I can't see you helping him much," He muttered dryly.

Fortunately his attention was drawn to Paris as the boy struggled to get enough blood drawn to make enough to write proper. He almost winced as the boy mangled his hand, knowing from the few experiences of humans he'd had that they didn't heal nearly so well or as fast as other more magically inclined species. He was surprised that the boy had chosen a different method of writing than they had. Apparently he simply wanted it to be neater.

Finally the contract was handed back to him and Latre raised an eyebrow briefly at the long name written out. No wonder it had taken so long to write. For such a small being, he had a long enough name for three Latres. Then Latre frowned and said the last part out loud. "Connlaoth? That's where your home is? I've never heard of it."

He hadn't heard of any of the kingdoms except for briefly hearing of Adela when travelers passed by his sleeping spot. He wondered if Connlaoth was much farther. He could barely take care of himself, never mind a... Prince? Latre  gazed at in surprise another moment before covering it up and flipping the contract in his hand to show the phoenix. "Here, we've all signed. I think I'll keep it." 'Considering you'll probably try to burn it,' he added silently.

Rhindeer

Zeirne watched in sadistic amusement as Paris tore up his hand, over and over again, in an attempt to get enough blood flowing to write with. It was very amusing, indeed, and Zeirne made no attempt to hide that amusement, grinning openly with his fangs bared. Of course, he could hardly blame the kid. There was no way he'd trust himself if he was anyone else, though it was a shame the kid wasn't dumber. All he had to do was come a little closer, and Zeirne could have taken care of him; he didn't need fire in order to kill and main.

Of course, Latre would also need to turn his back or something, too, for that to work, but he could dream. He wouldn't mind disposing of the winged brat, either. Two for one...it wouldn't be a bad start at all.

But soon the amusement wore off as Paris figured it out and began to sign the contract, and Zeirne was left to glance around the area boredly. So...what happened after this was done? They all went their separate ways? Hell, Zeirne would leave now if he didn't have to worry about being followed, and in his current state, he was no match for much of anyone. Which pissed him off. But...would they let him go after this? Sure, they had the contract, but certainly not even they were stupid enough to believe he'd actual obey what was written on some strip of bark. Oaths to a deity were different. Oaths sworn between mortals, written on something that could be destroyed...bah.

Finally, the contract was completed, and Latre flipped it up for Zeirne to see, and the half-phoenix scanned his eyes over it. "Prince, huh?" he muttered, raising an eyebrow slightly. Interesting. Not that it meant anything to him.

He didn't argue when Latre said he'd keep it. Rather, now that it was over and done with, he was more interested in splitting. "So, it's done, then? That's it? Great." With that said, he shifted anxiously, and then, slowly, began to rise from his crouched position, wincing as his bruised muscles protested. Damn. The kid did pack quite the punch.

Anonymous

Paris' hand was still hurting. Most of the little wounds stopped bleeding, but they still stung. It was like bits of the thorns broke off in his hand. Looking at it made them hurt even more, enough to make his eyes sting with pre-tears. He didn't want to cry though, especially not with Red Wings - Zierne sitting right there. The winged man would definitely have something nasty to say about it.

That, and Aunt Jinny always said time spent crying was time wasted. It was better to spend that time fixing the thing that caused you to cry in the first place. Paris frowned and turned his rent hand over, looking at the palm. There were a few scratches on it, less than the top, but he couldn't do anything for them. He didn't have anything to use for a bandage and didn't want to wipe his hand on his clothing, even if it was dusty and torn from his fall.

At least watching Latre take one final look at the contract would keep him from looking at his hand. He clasped it behind his back, watching Latre and occasionally glancing at Zierne. Paris nodded after Latre's question. Latre saying he never heard of Connlaoth made a few things click in his head, possible answers to occasional questions. Maybe that was why magic creatures kept getting the axe, they didn't know about Connlaoth. They couldn't avoid it.

Paris' hands began to sweat when Latre held the contract out to Red Wings. It was over now. Now what? Hopefully Red - Zierne would go off on his merry way and everything would just go back to how it was before he found them. He smiled a little when Zierne finished reading and seemed eager to get away from them. "Bye," Paris waved with his uninjured hand, streaked with a few tiny bloodstains, and smiled like he was seeing off an old friend.

"Latre?" He asked suddenly after a few waves, looking up at him. "Where are you from?"

Goldie

ooc: FINALLY got my butt into gear....

ic:

The young phoenix boy twirled through the trees and open meadows, his small wings flapping gaily through the air in an attempt to lift him off the ground, but they were still far too small to carry him anywhere yet.  Although...he had gotten pretty good at hovering.  Even if just for a few seconds.

He could still remember the image vividly in his mind as his mother took to the skies, leaving her son behind in a village hidden from the world in an attempt to keep her boy safe.  Everyone around him knew that she would never come back, but Corwyn wouldn't listen to any of them.  His mother was simply waiting in the sun for her child to become old enough to follow her.  She was always there, smiling down upon him.  and sometimes, when he looked extra hard into the glowing orb that rose every morning and could see the shape of her wings in the golden sky and they would blink in front of his vision for a few minutes afterward, reminding him that he was getting closer every day.

Not paying attention to anything but his own spontaneous dance, the boy tripped over a root and crashed to the ground sending giggles into the air.  He breathed heavily from the exercise but he loved every minute of it.  Every minute he was free to do whatever it was he wanted...free to be himself, and free to have fun.

Standing again the sound of voices caught his keen ear and drew Corwyn over, the boy creeping silently across the ground until he scrambled up a tree right next to the group.  Sliding foreward he made sure the leaves of the tree hid him from their sight as he watched the one person slice at his hand.  It looked painful, but to the half-phoenix it was a wonderful game.

Then his eyes landed on the man just next to the branch he was occupying.  A man who...a man who had wings!  Joyous beautiful HUGE wings!  

Looking back at his own he quickly looked back at the other with wide amber eyes.  Even his hair looked like his own!  Perhaps...perhaps this man was related to him some how?!  What if he was his father?  Or a brother, or a cousin!  How wonderful it would be to have someone!  Someone who knew his mother and would help him find her!

Swinging upsidedown from his knees, Corwyn couldn't help but reach out slowly toward the huge wings...the wings that he dreamt of ever night and brush his fingers against the feathers....

Rhindeer

Well, no one was paying attention to him anymore, and the rat had said "bye", so, looked like he was free to go now that this freakin' contract stuff was done with! Latre wasn't really paying attention, the varmint had already "dismissed" him, so...

Reaching out, he braced himself against the tree to help him stand, still smarting from the punch, and hitched his wings in close to his body. He still didn't trust those two, especially not the one with that strange magic stuff--never did he trust something he wasn't familiar with--and he still didn't know if he was "permitted" to leave yet, so not once did he take his eyes off them as, very slowly, partly because every movement somehow seemed to require his aching abdominal muscles, he began to back away, one small step at a time. No sudden movements...he didn't want to get slugged again, not because it hurt, but more because it was fucking embarrassing.

Then his body went completely rigid, and the hair on the back of his neck seemed to rise. Something was stroking his wings, and it wasn't a branch.

With a sharp, hissed inhalation, he spun around to face whatever it was that had stalked him--and nearly topped right over, clutching his stomach. Ow ow ow...damn fucking rebirth screwing up everything! It was also right at that moment, as he looked up sharply to meet a pair of mischievous amber eyes, that he realized he had made a very sudden movement, and that the others might take it the wrong way. Gyah! He glanced quickly over his shoulder, but saw they were now ignoring him, so then he swiveled his head back over to look at the owner of those amber eyes--

Only to see they belonged to another kid.

With wings.

Flame colored wings. Wings the same color as his own, with hair the same color as his own, and pointed ears like his own...the kid could be like his kid brother, or a clone of his except he didn't have the same color eyes.

Zeirne's own green eyes were like saucers as he stared. He was...was he...a...a...?

"What the hell are you?" he snapped suddenly, giving himself a shake and baring his fangs irritably.

In other words, that was his way of saying, "Holy crap, are you a phoenix?"

Goldie

They were even more beautiful when his small fingers brush up against the soft feathers.  These were really wings!  They were the real thing!  He had never seen something so wonderful in his entire life and it made him want to shout with glee.  How often had he hoped for wings like those?  Wings big enough to take him up to the sun!!!

When the man turned, Corwyn was unbalanced by the sudden movement and promptly toppled from the tree, landing heavily at the base, his hands moving just fast enough to keep him from wacking his head on the large roots.  It took him a few seconds to detangle his limbs before he toppled onto his side and pushed himself into a sitting position, rubbing his head lightly but without any change in his bright, smiling eyes.

As he rapidly rubbed his hands through his hair he froze when he heard the man speak.  Almost as if he was scared, he slowly turned his head upwards, hands still tangled in his red hand.  His eyes grew even wider when he saw him from the front.  He certainly looked like he was related!!!!

"Me?" he squeaked, scrambling to his feet only to trip over another root and rolling backwards with a giggle.  Pulling himself up again, he scrambled up the tree and climbed onto a limb that made it easier to look the larger man in the eyes.  Grabbing the limb with his hands and legs, he swung over, hanging by his hands and feet as he stared at his new found friend upsidedown.

"I'ma Corwyn!" he replied with a giddy smile, completely misinterpreting the question.  Not that he would care.

Pulling his legs off of the limb, he dropped deftly to the ground, racing around to look at his wings again.  Popping up at the man's side he pointed at them, "Howda you get 'em?" he asked, "I've been trying t'get mine bigger...but I can't!"  To prove his point he screwed his face up in concentration as his little wings beat against the air, raising him a few inches off the ground before he dropped back again.  "I bet you can go fly!!!  With wings like that...!"

He wanted to run around...it was hard to stand still when he was this excited!!

Rhindeer

Zeirne just sort of twitched as the little...winged thing seemed to be squirming all over the place, never once holding still. One minute, he was on the ground falling all over the place, the next in a tree hanging upside down and grinning as he made his big announcement.

He was a Corwyn.

Zeirne could feel his eyes crossing, his shoulders slumping at the anticlimactic statement. A Corwyn.

"That’s not what I--" he began irritably, but then the kid dropped down and pointed at his wings, which Zeirne shifted defensively along his back.

And began flapping his trap a million miles an hour.

Oh crap.

"I was born with them. And yes, I can fly," he answered stiffly, partly out of annoyance and partly because it kind of hurt to talk. He raised an eyebrow as the kid flapped his little wings and hovered pathetically for a few moments. That was sad. That was very sad to see. He hoped he never looked that pathetic...well, then again, he kind of felt that way now, after getting owned by a bloody child! Which only added to his sour mood.

Yet, while any other time, had this been any other child, he would have been quick to shoo him away or attack himâ€"that is, if he were a human child, and if he didn’t have that other winged kid so close by. However, right now, though he’d never admit it out loud…he was intrigued. The kid looked like a Phoenix. He looked like he had bloody Phoenix in him. Zeirne had never met another soul like him, never met anyone who looked remotely similar to him, and had certainly never even met a full-blooded Phoenix. Those wings…he had to have Phoenix blood in him…he had to…

He hadn’t even known there were other Phoenixes…

“Are you a Phoenix?� he asked shortly, deciding to phrase the question in simpler, more understandable terms since the kid was obviously too thick to pick up on anything that wasn’t spelled out for him.

[omg that was short. O.O]

Goldie

Corwyn stared in awe as the man before him talked, however shortly, about his wings.  His amber eyes grew as wide as saucers, his hand lowering to his side as he looked up at the other phoenix in awe.  He had never met anyone else who could fly like his mom could, and it reinforced the thought that they had to be related.  They just had to be!  There was no other explaination for it!  None of the other children in the village could fly...in fact, only a few had wings at all.  Most were just red haired....

"You...you...can fly...." it wasn't a question, just a statement of his awe.  It was as if he had stumbled into a dream!  He had found someone just like him...down to the very miniscule detail.  The wings....the hair....it was...amazing....and his little brain seemed to have frozen from the shock.

He didn't know how long he stood there, simply staring up at him, but he eventually realized that he had been asked a question.

Feeenix?  He had only heard the term in passing....and it was only spoken by the elders of the village when they thought that none of the children were around...he had always assumed that it was some sort of preditor that the elders didn't want the children to know about lest they be terrified and not want to leave their beds....

"No one said nothin' 'bout feeenix..." he replied, bringing his thumb up to his mouth an chewing on the knuckle.  What if he answered wrong?  Would the man run away?  Would he lose the only person he had ever met who reminded him of...well...himself?

"Is...is...the feeenix dangerous?" he honestly didn't know....

"My mommy didn't say feeenix.....but she flew away to the sun.....I wanna find her...." a thought suddenly struck him, "Do you know where she is!?!?!  I mean...you can fly an..an..and she could fly!!!!"