Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Blood and Scales [DragonSong]

Started by Fukurou, June 09, 2016, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fukurou

"Ah, so this is Arca, huh?" Zaryn said as he looked over the city, a gentle breeze tugging at his cream colored tunic. "It's colder than I'm used to, but it sure is a hell of a lot more colorful!" He stretched his arms and turned to Ally. "So... have any ideas on where to start?"

DragonSong

The small dragon tossed her head back to look out over the city.

Home. It felt like it'd been a lifetime.

"I'm afraid not," she said after a few moments. "I guess there's all the places I tried before I went to the jungles- but if they couldn't help before I'm not sure they could now."

She was quiet for a few moments, then added a little more softly, "I should probably call on my father and brother too. They may be worried about me."

Fukurou

"Oh, you have family here?" A smile cracked across Zaryn's face but quickly faded as his eyes narrowed in contemplation. "Actually," he started with a hint of hesitation. "I know someone who lives in Arca who might be able to help... He's not an alchemist, but he's a damn good mage."

DragonSong

"Really?" Allaeya swung her head around to star at him, eyes sparkling. "Oh, that might be helpful anyway. Anything to get me out of this situation."

Fukurou

Zaryn let out a long sigh as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Okay then.." He pursed his lips as an unpleasant look colored his face. "There's no guarantee he'll be home, but it's worth a try."

The two of them made their way through the city, stopping every so often to ask for directions. Eventually, they came across a decent-sized stone house nestled within the nicer part of Arca. Zaryn stopped at the entrance and took in a deep breath before knocking on the wooden door. A moment later a young, freckled face poked her head out from behind the door, her mess of auburn hair framing her clear, emerald eyes.

"Yeah?" the wood elf said as she looked up at Zaryn. The girl's eyes darted from Zaryn to the dragon, then back at Zaryn, but otherwise seemed unfazed by the two imposing figures on her doorstep.

"Uh, yeah, is Rylzyr in?"

"Mr. Snooty-pants isn't expecting visitors, so...."

Zaryn crossed his arms as irritation washed over his face. "Tell him his cousin's here and that he needs a favor."

"'Kay," the girl said before shutting the door. A moment later the door swung open and a man similar in appearance to Zaryn stood on the other side of the entrance. A look of surprise painted his face as his ruby eyes met Zaryn's electric blue.

"Zaryn," he said, his voice practically a whisper.

"Ryzlyr," Zaryn replied bitterly.

"W-what are you doing here?"

"I need a favor." Zaryn tilted his head in the direction of Ally.

Rylzyr's eyes darted in the direction of the dragon, narrowing skeptically as he returned his gaze to his cousin. "A dragon...?"

"Yeah, well, it's a long story." Zaryn turned to Ally. "Will you do the honors, sweetheart?"

DragonSong

"Cousin?" Ally blinked in surprise and looked to her companion. "You never said anything about-"

But then the door was opening again and this Ryzlyr person was standing in front of them. She shuffled her wings and ducked her head awkwardly under his gaze.

"Um, my name's Allaeya, sir," she murmured. "Well, see...it's like this..."

Slowly, she explained her predicament, trying to be as succinct as she could but winding up doubling back and retelling parts of her story inevitably.

Fukurou

Rylzyr's eyes flicked from Ally from Zaryn, raising an eyebrow and giving his cousin a skeptical look. "You do know I'm not an alchemist, right?"

"Yes, yes!" Zaryn waved a hand dismissively. "But you're a mage, right? Couldn't you, oh I don't know, do that blood thing or summon a demon or... or something?"

Mortified by what Zaryn had just blatantly revealed, Rylzyr shot a nervous glance at the dragon before grabbing a hold of his cousin's shoulder. "Zah'rraahn xirach, Zaryn," he hissed as a nervous glint filled his wide eyes.

DragonSong

Ally snorted and drew her head back sharply. "Demon summoning?" she said nervously. "No one said anything about summoning demons."

Her eyes flicked back and forth between the two men as Rylzyr spoke in that foreign language. "Um, excuse me? What's going on here?"

Fukurou

"No one's summoning demons," Rylzyr said to Ally, holding his hands up in a placating manner.

Zaryn turned to his companion and gave her a sly smile. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I've known him for 183 years. He may have an entire tree stuffed up his ass but he's mostly harmless." Turning back to his cousin, Zaryn crossed his arms and arched an eyebrow. "So...?"

"Tch!" Rylzyr placed his hands on his hips scowled at Zaryn. "If you think you can come to my own home, accuse me of being a demonlord and practicing blood magic in front of a complete stranger, insult me, and ask for a favor, then you're crazy!"

"Oooh what a surprise!" Sarcasm dripped from Zaryn's voice as he waved his hands in the air. "Rylzyr doesn't want to help others! Shocking!" Zaryn returned to standing with his arms crossed and glowered at Rylzyr. "Ya know, it sure would be nice of you to help your dear ol' cousin out for once."

A pained expression shot across Rylzyr's face as he quickly averted his eyes to the ground. After a short moment, his gaze swept up and met Ally's. "Fair enough," he said as he gave her a short nod. "I'll do what I can."

DragonSong

"Err..." The dragon glanced back and forth between the two of them as they argued, feeling rather awkward. "I, um, I appreciate the help, really, but I don't want to cause some sort of family drama," she said weakly, though she did take a hesitant step closer at Rylzyr's nod.

Fukurou

"Hey, don't worry 'bout it, sweetheart," Zaryn said with a wide, pleased smile cracking across his face. "We'll be on out best behavior from here on out, isn't that right, Ry?" He slapped a hand on Rylzyr's shoulder, causing the lankier man to stumble forward a bit from the force.

"Erm..." Rylzyr cast an awkward glance to the side before collecting himself and giving Ally a small smile. "Sure."

DragonSong

"Erm...well, alright then," Ally said, relief in her voice though she tried to hide it. She dipped her head to Rylzyr. "Thank you, sir. Truly. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated."

Fukurou

Rylzyr rubbed the back of his neck as he eyed the dragon before him. "I'm not exactly an alchemist, but I'm happy to help in any way I can. Do you have any idea on where to start?"

DragonSong

"Oh, I have notes. A lot of notes." She twisted her head around to try and grab her pack with her teeth, then gave a soft snort of frustration when her strange body wouldn't bend the way she wanted it to. "Um, Zaryn? Would you help me?"

Fukurou

"Ah, sure." Zaryn slipped the pack off of Ally and handed it to her. "I dunno what to give him. Plus, it's rude to be looking through a lady's bag."

DragonSong

The dragoness shuffled her wings demurely. "Well that's awfully polite of you," she chuckled, setting the pack down and rooting delicately through it with her claws. "Ah- here."

She pulled out both her and her mother's journals. "This is the potion I created that changed me, and these-" she pointed to each page in turn- "Are the runes Zaryn helped me retrieve that- well, sort of worked."

Fukurou

Rylzyr grabbed the notebook and squinted as he peered at the page with the runes. "Wow. These look..." He glanced at Zaryn, who had a smug smile decorating his face. "Er... I guess I can make out the details."

"Hey!" Zaryn stamped a foot indignantly. "I did my best, okay?"

Ignoring his cousin, Rylzyr proceeded to flip through the pages. "I assume you followed the steps, right? What do you think went wrong?"

DragonSong

"I really don't know." Ally seemed to be on the verge of tears again. "My mother's spell was experimental, so maybe that threw off my calculations- I just can't figure out why it would only work partway, and what triggered the change back."

Fukurou

"Oh, um.." Rylzyr cast an awkward glance at Ally, then looked back down at the notebook. "I'm sure it's not something that can't be fixed."

"Yeah, don't fret, sweetheart! Ry's got this!" He turned to his cousin and tapped the top of the notebook. "Can't you just put some blood magic into it? Won't that work?"

"Zaryn, really?" The lanky mage cast another nervous glance at the dragon before turning to glare at his cousin.

DragonSong

Ally swallowed and shuffled her wings a little nervously. "Um, I'm not- judging or anything," she said quickly, voice squeaking slightly. "But, um- well, if you think something will help..."

Another nervous little noise. She knew blood magic was widely discredited as "black" magic, but her time in the jungles had taught her that there were some more morally acceptable spells and uses for it. It was just difficult to navigate around a lifetime of dogma.