Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of Humans and Dragons {DragonSong}

Started by Celegwen, December 20, 2017, 02:53:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celegwen

"I would kill to have what you have," she said in a shockingly soft voice. Coming from a clearly human girl with almost supernaturally gorgeous looks, that would sound ludicrous, but it was true. "At least people would take you seriously! I'm not saying that your life hasn't been hard because I don't know you, but people see me and think I'm talking out of my ass."

His laugh was even more insulting. She folded her arms across her chest and shook her head, glancing at the ground momentarily. "I say dragons are my specialty in the same a psychologist would say that humans are his specialty! I pissed your dad off because he would want me to bow down to a superior species! 'Mind how you speak to our kind,' I believe were his exact words. Oh! And I can't omit him calling humans a 'pathetic race,' now can I?"

She clenched her jaw and shook her head. "Maybe he has his own issues and is taking it out on the pathetic human who came to help him. I know dragons aren't animals. My best friends are dragons. The only human I associate with is a damn madman who only socialized with dragons. If I didn't think they were people, why would I have dedicated every waking second to making sure they have the best life possible?"

Damn straight it was a rant, but it was one she needed to say. Probably needed to say it for years...

DragonSong

He raised his hands, snorting under his breath. "Look- whatever. I'm sure you're on this grand quest to prove just how special you are, and far be it from me to tell you otherwise."

All of the anger seemed to leave him at once and his shoulders slumped tiredly. "I'll try to convince my father to give you and your- your family some space, alright? Sorry if he was rude." Tail hanging rather dejectedly, he sort of shuffled back a step and glanced back toward the glade.

Celegwen

Her pride was injured, but she felt a pang of guilt. Whatever, she thought. Let him do whatever he wants. Not my problem.

That large piece of her that was a child passionate healer seemed to weigh her feet down like a bog. Freisae squeezed her eyes shut. "Karyn, wait," she said, pursing her lips. She forced her lips to form the sounds. "I'm sorry. Look, I get touchy with this stuff, but it's not an excuse to take it out on you...or your father. I do want to help, if you'll accept it. If not, I understand, but my doors are always open if you change your mind. Or if you...just want to come by for a visit."

DragonSong

Karyn looked her up and down warily. "How exactly would you...help?"

He honestly didn't know what to do about his father, at this point he was willing to try anything.

Celegwen

Freisae thought for a moment, then gave him a shrug and a half-hearted smile. "Well, it's kind of hard to come up with a way to help when I don't know what the problem is..."

She knew that he probably wouldn't tell her, but what other option was there. He clearly was at least slightly open to the offer, but she prepared herself to be shot down again.

DragonSong

"He's..." Karyn growled, frustrated, and dragged a hand down his face. "His...he has this...gods."

With a huff, he let his shoulders slump and muttered, "He more or less got kicked out of his lover's bed, and he's been moping about it for the better part of two decades."

Celegwen

The woman stifled a laugh by quickly throwing her hand up to cover her mouth. The idea that the dragon could be so...humanly sensitive was unbelievable and pretty hilarious.

"Okay..." She started cautiously. Freisae knew that Karyn had taken a pretty long leap to open that for her, so she didn't want to insult him by mocking it. At the same time, there were so many things to joke about. "So, what happened? And please, leave out the details."

DragonSong

Karyn sighed again, his cheeks flushing as she obviously fought back laughter. He rubbed at the back of his neck and resisted the urge to pout, glaring at the ground.

"It's...to be fair, I don't know all the details," he sighed. "I know- I know he really loved her. But she didn't..." He huffed. "She didn't know what he was, I think. She was Connlaothian. When she found out- she told him she never wanted to see him again."

Celegwen

Of course she was Connlaothian, Freisae said, her grin replaced with a slight frown. She didn't understand what Connlaoth had against magic, especially dragons. They were incredible creatures, and she saw Connlaoth as a stubborn child digging in its heels when it came to magic.

"So, what happened? I understand what it's like to have a rejected love, but it normally doesn't sit with someone like this for two decades... Surely, there's something more you're not telling me?"

DragonSong

"Well, dragons can hold grudges for a long time- a broke heart even longer," Karyn pointed out quietly. Then he sighed again and chewed at his lower lip. "But I think it's the girl, really," he admitted at last. "He- he swore that, after me, he wouldn't have anymore half-blood children. He didn't even want me. But then Brigid had a girl, and..."

Celegwen

Freisae's eyes widened, and she nearly choked on the air she was breathing. "He conceived a child with a Connlaothian woman?" She said, as though trying to understand what she had just heard. "Are you..."

Her voice trailed off, and Freisae momentarily turned her back to Karyn with her hand over her mouth in thought. "This is why I'm glad not to have a human form," the black dragon grumbled slightly impatiently.

The girl dropped her hand to her side. "If you don't have anything helpful to say, don't chime in." The way that she and the dragon spoke to each other would probably be shocking to most, but their relationship was stronger than any Adelan Dragonrider team, so she knew there was no risk on either end. Turning back to Karyn, she took a deep breath. "Does he know his daughter at all?"

DragonSong

The half dragon shuffled his feet awkwardly, feeling like he was betraying his father's trust. But he didn't know what else to do! It had been nearly twenty years of this.

"No," he murmured, shaking his head. "She...she was born like me. Scales, tail, wings...her mother panicked, I think. Da- Renkaryn won't talk about it much, but it seems like she just...threw him out. He never went back."

Celegwen

Freisae furrowed her brows. "Wait, so she looks like you do, but she's still living in Connlaoth?" This just kept getting more and more insane. "Twenty years... She's an adult by now! Why doesn't he go and find her?"

DragonSong

Karyn spread his hands wide and shrugged. "I don't know. I don't know if she's even still alive, her or the mother!"

He sighed, shoulder slumping forward. "I think that's why he doesn't go. Every time I try to mention it, he just says that Brigid doesn't want to see him, and he'll respect that... But I think he's afraid he's lost them."

Celegwen

"Well, what do you know about her? Other than what you've told me." Freisae didn't know what she would do with the information, but maybe more information will make it easier to help them find something out. "I know I'm prying, but maybe knowing will help him move on, either way."

DragonSong

Karyn shook his head helplessly. "I don't know anything. He told me her name, and that was it. I don't even know my sis- the girl's name," he sighed.

Celegwen

Freisae smiled softly. "You can call her your sister, Karyn," she said. "She's your blood, whether you know her or not."

DragonSong

He shook his head. "Family isn't just blood. It's...who's there for you." He shrugged. "I've never been there for her." Regardless of whether he'd wanted to be or not.

Celegwen

"True, but there are exceptions to every rule," Freisae said, taking a step towards him. "You've never even had the chance to be there for her. I'm sure there's not any one solid rule for those circumstances."

DragonSong

They were treading dangerously close to "feelings" territory- his own rather than his father's- and Karyn backpedaled quickly. "Yeah, well...it is what it is I guess." He cleared his throat. "So look, I'm not sure exactly how you think you can help, but if you've got any ideas I'm all ears."

Tags: