Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thieves Among Us {JackieChat}

Started by Lowen Thorn, March 21, 2018, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowen Thorn

@JackieCat

How did I end up here? I don't remember.

Lowen was crouched over in an old cut-off alleyway, his mind racing over the events that led him to this point. I can't remembmer, he thought once more. I blacked out again. He grimaced as he rose to his feet. His body was sore - what the hell happened? What woke him up in the first place? Oh, it was raining. Perfect.

"I hate this place," he muttered to himself.

He had occupied the troubling village of Zantaric for over a week now looking for work only to find no such luck.

As he got himself together, he touched at his neck only to induce further panic. Eyes widening in disbelief, he began checking his pockets and his bag. His necklace, the one his ring was attached to, was missing.

JackieCat

Rain.

Rain, rain, rain, rain, rain!

It was a wonderful thing.  The sound of it was akin to thousands if tiny footsteps pattering across the ground, through the trees, over the rooftops.

It was dark, raining, cold, and windy.  It was indeed a beautiful day.

Of course, most people wouldn't think of it that way, but if Meerior was one thing, it was not
'most people'.

The young woman walked through the streets, a bounce in her step.  Though she moved quickly, there was no urgency in her steps, no purpose.  She was just walking.  She arrived here in Zantaric just hours ago, and her clothes and hair were soaked.  She carried nothing with her but the pouches on her belt.  No cloak to shield her from the elements, no pack to carry supplies.  Her clothes weren't even appropriate for traveling, though she seemed completely comfortable in her soaked garments.

She grinned and gave a cheery hello to a goblin she passed on the street, waving to him.  He scowled at her and drew a knife, but she waved him away.

"Oh, I didn't mean to startle you, friend!" she said, her voice far to loud for the dark streets, echoing over the cobblestones and peircing through the heavy blanket of rain. "I'm just taking a little walk, no need to get all frazzled over me!"

The goblin had started away by now, and was very clearly ignoring her as he walked away.

"Ooh, some people just don't understand a friendly 'hello'," the young woman said to herself, her voice still quite loud. "I mean, there really isn't a time where a good 'hello' isn't in order, now is there?" she paused for a second. "No, you're quite right, a 'hello' wouldn't really be in order if you'd already been with someone for a while.  But why not say hello again?  It really wouldn't do any harm, would it?  And what if you forgot to say hello earlier?  Or just wanted to say it again?"

She continued to talk as she walked down the street, her buckled shoes clicking against the cobblestones.  She was still talking and had wandered down an alleyway when she saw someone ahead of her.

"Hello!" she said, and continued in a voice of the same volume. "Oh, that was the perfect time to say hello, wasn't it?  Just perfect!  I think I'll say it again.  Hello!"
My Open Threads!
None currently, but if you want to thread, don't hesitate to PM me!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia
---Larcan---Kannae---Anton

For summaries of my characters, JackieCat's Characters!

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

Lowen, lost in his own thoughts and current state of dismay, was blind-sighted by the abrupt greeting. He shot his gaze up to meet the woman standing before him, clothes and hair drenched by the constant downpour of rain much like his own. She was oddly dressed.

Thrown off his wit, he almost didn't register that she greeted him twice - but his mind got him there after a few moments. "Oh," he murmured, looking the strange woman up and down. "Hello ma'am. Are you okay?"

Not 'Are You Okay?' Lowen. Try that again.

"Are you too seeking shelter from this storm?"

JackieCat

"Shelter?" she said. "Shelter!" she repeated the word, because it was an interesting word, with the funny 'shh' at the beginning, then that 't' sound. . .  Then she remembered his question.

"Oh, no, I'm not," she said, grinning at him through the strands of dripping-wet hair that hung in her face. "I'm just taking a walk.  Are you looking for shelter?  You're not doing a very good job at it.  There are so many buildings around, if you wanted shelter, wouldn't you just walk inside?  or are you lust taking a walk, like me?"  She spun in a circle, turning her face up to the rain and holding out her arms. "It is such a wonderful day for a walk, isn't it?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Kirl Moonharber---Lorin--- The Feari --- Akhe---Kilarhas---Naarilash---Kinn---Jiminie---Faelis---Karishk---Cirick---Sieera---Kornos--- Ariznim--- Dergan---Meerior---Zier'ik'shalsalimigarizdeniime---Keyne---Seridin---Elliot---Healin---Warn Danish---Revvil---Kashka---Ishka---Nox---Skiffiles---Jlyyth---
Flordia

Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty.  It's not the time that matters, it's the person.
~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

He couldn't help but muster a small grin. "No I am not. I'm doing a poor job at that as of right now," he said in agreement. "It's kind of hard to explain."

He watched the woman's movements, a slight study of her actions and the way she spoke. Is she harmless? I'm not so sure just yet, he thought. Better keep my guard up around this one just in case,.. But, maybe she can help me.

He spoke to the woman once more. "Excuse me, ma'am. Are you from around here? I'm looking for something. You see, I've lost my ring."

JackieCat

"I'm from somewhere," she said. "I appeared in a big city one day, there was sand all around at it was really hot.  I don't know really what happened before that." She shrugged, this matter wasn't upsettig to her at all, and it wasn't very interesting. "Maybe I was spawned from an egg right there?"  She shrugged again.

"But I do like rings!" she held up her hand and wiggled her fingers.  She wasn't wearing any rings. "I don't have any that you can see, but they're there."  She looked back at the man. "Why'd you lose yours?"
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

I don't really know what happened before that, he repeated to himself. Wow. We have more in common than one would think. Do I appear this way to other people?

Wait.

Spawned from an egg. We're nothing alike.

"I didn't lose it on purpose," he informed her. "I woke up in this alleyway, and I'm not sure how I got here. My ring is gone. It's attached to a leather necklace of sorts. It's very precious to me."

Lowen really didn't know why the ring was precious to him. It was the one item he still had in his possession when he lost his memory. Is that why it's important? No, it's something else. He felt it an important part of his past, a memoir of a time forgotten. He needed to get it back.

This was the first person in this village he has had a somewhat pleasant encounter with, be it rather odd. Determining she might be the only person of help at the moment, he decided to open up to the strange girl a bit more.

"Apologies for my rudeness, ma'am. My name is Lowen", he introduced. "Lowen Thorn. What is your name?"

JackieCat

"Very precious?  Hm," she said. "And don't worry, I forget things all the time."

When he asked her name she grinned. "Hello, Lowan!  I don't quite recall my name right now, but I'm sure it'll come to me.  I don't bother myself with worry about such small things."

She looked back up at the rain, opening her mouth to drink some of it.  Then after a moment she looked back to Lowan. "Oh, I remember.  Meerior.  I'm Meerior Shlakae.  It's nice to meet you, Lowan.  Are you going to look for your ring?  I can help you look.  I'm very good at forgetting things, but also good at finding them again.  Most of the time."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

The constant cycle of changes this girl displays was baffling Lowen to no end. He stood there, mouth agape as he watched her drink the water. So much that he involuntarily drank some himself. He shook off the wonder, spit out the water, and regained his balance of thought when she offered to help him.

What just happened? Her introduction and offer to help seemed so much sharper and together than the previous things she has spoken. No matter. Lowen would accept any help he could get.

He smiled warmly, albeit a bit uncomfortably. "That would be lovely," he said. "Thank you so much Ms. Meerior."

JackieCat

Her manner, now, had completely changed.  Her silly and childlike demeanor had disappeared, replaced with a quiet calm and sharpness.  She stood straighter, and her countenance was more of a shrewd soldier or stern teacher than that of the child she had been not moments before.

"When and where did you last have it?" she asked, and her voice, too, was alert and sharp. "If you can remember, we should go there and look when we're done searching the alley."
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

"The last thing I can remember..." he drifted off, thinking. He didn't register her transition at first - but when he did, he become more aware of the situation at hand. Her demeanor change was the last of his worries, and he welcomed this more poised version of Meerior than the previous image of child-like curiosity. Still, he needed to keep his guard up.

"I was assisting a merchant a few streets away from here," he said. "I remember now. He offered to pay me, not much, but more than I have. We were stocking his booth--"

His eyes widened at the sudden realization. "He was selling jewelry, clothing, and other accessories!"

JackieCat

"Jewelry?" she raised an eyebrow at this.  "You lost it near a jewelry stand?"  She shook her head, exasperated. "It'll be hard to find a lone ring among hundreds."

She waved a hand, dismissing the thought.  "We'll worry about that later.  You said you were helping the merchant.  Was he selling from a stall that would be packed away by now?  Or a storefront we can go to?  Or was he traveling and would be long gone by now?"

She spoke swiftly, and as she did her eyes darted over Lowen's form, taking in whatever information she could about him.  Her previous personality was not really the type to take in information and carefully catalog it.  This persona, however, was intent on getting every bit of knowledge she could about the situation and the man standing before her. 
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

The man's mind raced with the possibilities of his ring's whereabouts. Out of habit, he grabbed at the area where his ring would normally hang around his neck, to no avail. He scratched at his chin furiously - he was inside his head.

'Was he travelling?' he thought to himself. His heart was pounding out of his chest at the thought of never getting it back. 'Why am I in such a panic? It's not that important', he attempted to calm himself. 'No! I must find it.'

Looking at Meerior, he frowned. "I really don't know," he said solemnly. "But I remember the man's location. We can start there - hopefully he's still around!"

Hopefully. Lowen did not even know what day it was, more or less if it was the same day since his black out.

JackieCat

OOC: (Out Of Character, if you didn't know) O.o    It's been four days. . .  And I didn't notify you. . .  Sorry!

IC(In Character)

He didn't seem to remember anything.  Maybe he was kind of similar to her.  Of course, she's never met anyone with her exact powers and 'skills', you might call them, and she didn't think she ever would.  But that didn't mean that she hadn't already met some very interesting characters on her travels.  And she supposed that this man was one of those characters.  The more she traveled, the more she realized that there was no one who was boring.  Everyone had something interesting about them.  A secret, maybe.  Or a great personality.  Not necessarily a nice personality, but an interesting one, and eccentric one, a strange one.

He didn't remember much, but he said he remembered the location of the stand.  Meerior nodded.

"What are you waiting for, then?" she said, her hands on her hips. She waved a hand at him.  "Lead the way.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

OOC: Haha, no problem at all  8)

IC:

---

"Right," he nodded. "Come with me."

Lowen moved out of the alleyway the two had occupied, peering around the area through the down pour of rain. He squinted. Maybe he didn't remember where the merchant was after all. Had he forgotten already?

'I think it's this way,' the young man thought silently to himself.

'No, fool. It's the other way,' the second voice piped.

'Wait, it is the other way,' Lowen corrected himself.

He motioned Meerior to follow him, picking up his pace a bit. His heart continued to beat out of his chest at the thought of never getting his ring back. He had a hard time focusing on anything else as he shifted through the crowds - his guard was down.

After several minutes they came across the merchant stand. He was still there! Thank Gods.

Lowen looked over to his new companion with hope in his eyes. "This is the one."

JackieCat

During the time they had been talking, the sun had started to rise, and the streets were starting to fill with people ready to go shopping for the day.

As they started to leave the alley, Lowen seemed as if he was unsure of where to go, and was fighting some kind of battle inside of his own head.  After a moment, he seemed to decide, and motioned for Meerior to follow him.

He seemed preoccupied as they traveled down the streets, but soon they reached a stand.  It seemed to be the right one, indeed, the man was selling jewelry.

Meerior looked around, quickly scanning the ground in case the ring happened to be there.  It was unlikely that if it had fallen on the ground, someone wouldn't have picked it up  This was Zantaric, after all.  Thieves and criminals lived here, people who had trained themselves to find anything of value and snatch it up immediately.

"Is this teh correct stand?" She turned to Lowen.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

"This is the one," he said once more, almost to reassure himself. "Let's go."

As he approached the stand, the merchant looked over to him and his face lit up with a welcoming smile. "Ah, my friend! You have returned!" the merchant called out.

Returning a weary smile at the merchant, Lowen took a few steps closer and scanned the stand for his missing ring. 'I don't see it.' He looked at the merchant again. "I have," he said slowly. "I seemed to have lost my ring. It was on a loose string of leather that I wore as a necklace, and this is the last place I remember having it. Have you seen it?"

The merchant shot him a quick, puzzled look. "Your ring?" he asked. "Why, you gave it to me! Don't you remember?"

JackieCat

Well, this was just great.  Meerior turned to Lowen, her hands on her hips.

"Did you really give it to him?"

If he had, in some lapse of memory, or dazed confusion, it was going to be hard to get it back, short of buying it back.  She didn't know about Lowen, but she knew she didn't have the money to do that.
Or, this merchant could be attempting to scam them, perhaps he had noticed that Lowen seemed a little confused, and ws hoping he could get him to believe he had just handed over the ring, when in fact the merchant had found it on the ground, or, worse, swiped it off of him.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Lowen Thorn

Lowen looked stunned after hearing the merchant's words.

"N-No," he said quietly, partly in response to Meerior's question and the other half toward the seller's answer. "There's no way I would have done that. Anyway, I need it back. Do you still have it on your possession?"

'I don't have any money...' the man thought desparingly.

'Oh just cut his throat open and take it off'em! the second voice huffed.

"Aye," the merchant replied, his stance getting a bit more defensive. He pulled the necklace/ring from under his shirt out into the open. He was wearing it. "I still have it, boy, but there is no why I will be giving this back to ya. You gave it to me, and it's been my good luck charm today. Now, I'll sell it back to ya if it's that important to you."

JackieCat

Meerior huffed. "Just give the man his ring back.  He's obviously not right in the head.  That ring probably isn't that valuable, if you were planning on keeping it instead of selling it, so what harm would it be to give it back to him?  You'd really take something that is so important to someone who can't even remember something that happened a few hours ago?"

It maybe was lucky that Meerior was in this 'normal' mindset, as she was able to think logically about the situation.  She really knew nothing of Lowen, but if she could guilt-trip the vender into thinking that the man was in need of pity, maybe the seller would give him back his ring and no money would have to be parted with.

"Do you know how I found him?" Meerior asked, looking at the seller with the disdain that one would look at someone who had just stolen candy from a baby. "He was in an alleyway, soaking wet and trying to get out of the rain.  He didn't remember how he'd gotten there, and if I hadn't shown up, he probably would've frozen to death there.  He doesn't remember anything, except that ring.  He told me it was the only thing that connected him to his mother, who he lost when he was only a child to a terrible sickness.  It is his only tie to his family, and the only way he can hold on to even a shred of humanity."

This was a complete fabrication and lie, of course, as far as Meerior knew, and she hoped that Lowen would play along with it.
My Open Threads!

My Characters!
Flordia

~The Doctor

Tags: