Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Tales from the Faelands

Started by Hyacinthus, June 05, 2022, 04:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyacinthus

Before Miersck could even consider getting any distance anywhere, Sophie sprung into action. She, much like the moth fae, felt quite powerless in their situation. She could hardly see the monstrous creature that nearly ended them moments prior, let alone protect him from it. Yet in spite of that-- or perhaps even because of it-- she felt empowered to do the only thing knew that she could do in that moment-- whether Meirsck wanted it or not.

Her arms pulled in the fae's shivering body before he could protest further, and she embraced him in a gentle, warm hug. She laid his head to rest on her chest and bid him relax, if only for a moment. Her own heartbeat, in spite of the situation, was leagues slower than his own-- her nerves calmed, her mind at relative ease because it had to be-- she needed to be, for him. She could only hope that the slower rhythm of her own heartbeat would calm his. "You saved us, Miersck," She reminded him, letting one of her hands soothingly caress the fae's head, "You were... incredibly brave, just now. You did good."

She couldn't begin to imagine what horrors he had experienced before meeting her that caused his resolve to shake at the mere thought of such a beast. But she knew pain-- psychological pain-- just as much as anyone could, and she couldn't help but empathize with the moth fae's inner torment, and seek to quell it as best she could.

visualspice

Miersck made a noise as she held onto him suddenly and bristled, then realizing this was what he truly needed... he held her back, fiercely and just let the pair be for that moment.

After a moment, he shivered again, and breathed a hot sigh before blinking back the tears that threatened to fall.

"We.. shouldn't linger..."

Except he made no move to stop their embrace.  Once they had begun to move, he kept close to her side as they carefully walked navigated through the forests, Miersck keeping up a scent shield as they went. It was better to be careful than dead.

"What was your life like," he found himself asking her. "Before you met me, I mean."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Miersck was slow to pull away from her, and Sophie was equally reluctant to let go-- even as they began to move, she kept equally in pace with him. She could sense in the time they stood together, embracing one another, that what he needed from her most was someone--something, even-- to tether to. A constant. She was determined to be that.

"Empty," Sophie honestly responded to his question, after having taken enough time to consider it in silence. It wasn't an over-exaggeration, nor was it outright flattery. She lowered her gaze a little as she recalled it all, somewhat bitterly. "I'm not sure if the fae have a similar concept... but for most of my life, I wasn't free to be myself. I was born and raised to be used by others, and discarded when I wasn't useful. It was scary... and painful. And sometimes I wanted to give up."

She lightly squeezed his hand before turning her gaze toward him, with a slight smile. "I'm glad I didn't. If I did... I would never have met you."

visualspice

Miersck actually turned to her at that statement, blinking.

"You would say that even now?" He asked, bewildered as he brushed away the threat of tears onto his forearm. He shook his head.

"I've brought a curse upon you.... i..."

He choked up at his words and grit his teeth, looking away. He turned his red eyes towards the ground, ashamed.

Were things truly so bad she thought this was better?
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Sophie's smile didn't falter, even in the face of the truth. Yes, she did now suffer the same curse that Miersck did. Perhaps for anyone else, such a thing would've been disheartening to say the least-- but for Sophie? Well...

"I'd say that, even now. Maybe... moreso, now. Because to me, there's something worse than the worst curse you could've possibly brought unto me... and that's being alone." She reminisced, briefly, on the many nights she'd spent in the corners of taverns, scrawling over notes and documentation from her myriad guild quests and tasks. The mornings she'd spent in the back of carriages on the road to new destinations, hoping to find something-- anything-- that gave her a purpose. The many times she'd been called upon, only to be used and left behind by 'fellow' adventurers.

She'd been a slave once. She was freed, but in freedom she found... nothing. Emptiness. A life devoid of meaning, with no past to look back on and no future to strive for. "It... I suppose it might be selfish of me to ask this," She began, diverting her own eyes now.

"If you truly feel that way... when this is over, and we find a means to cure this curse... Would you stay by my side?"

visualspice

Miersck blinked, baffled by her question.
"If we survive... if we someway...somehow beat this thing I... wouldn't that be cause to celebrate? Why in the realms of rotting leaves would I leave you then? We'd be free."

And the very idea of it sent a burning thrill through his body. He took Sophie by the hand and looked into her eyes, his own red one's alight. 

"Fow now, let's survive this thing? Okay?"

One day at a time..

But by the old oak groves...

Was there even a way to beat the darkness?

Hyacinthus

"...Right. Let's... Survive."

Sophie lowered her gaze a bit as they walked, her silver bangs casting a gloom-like shadow over her eyes as she kept pace with Miersck. Her fingers tightened around his, and her smile didn't fade, but it was clear that there was something... off, perhaps, about her in that moment. Something even she didn't realize at the surface level of her thoughts.

What could it have been?

Deep down, She knew what.

What Miersck had just said... wasn't wrong. He had the right of it. Once they were free of this curse, they would be free to celebrate as they wished. And yet... it wasn't what Sophie wanted-- or perhaps, needed, to hear.

Regardless, she put it out of her mind as best she could-- not noticing that the shadowy mark on her hand, even if only slightly, grew just a little bit more.