Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Eyes of Blue

Started by visualspice, June 15, 2013, 10:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

It was a beautiful summer day in Arca. Since it was morning, the sweltering heat from mid-day had not been realized, so it was cooler and refreshing, and the market place was bustling with activity. The harvests and trades this year had been plentiful, and some of the more prominent merchants and nobles banded together for a small festival in honor of this years luck and prosperity. So as Dylanna was walking through the streets, she made sure to keep a firm hold upon Samuel's hand, as the small, blue eyed boy was looking around in wonder.

"Mama, mama, look! Look at all the colors!" and he pointed a finger up towards the sky, where kites and streamers were sailing against the clouds in all ranges of colors. She smiled, and knelt down beside her son, kissing the top of his head before lifting him up into his arm.

"Yes, Samuel. Look at them all. Can you name all of those colors for me?"

And the boy went on excited, "B'ue, yeyo, owange, white, puwple."
Dylanna chuckled and kissed him upon his cheek.

"Would you like one of those streamers? I can get one for you. Which color would you like?"

And the boy's eyes lit up like twin jewels. His innocence was so refreshing, it warmed her heart.

"Puwple! I like puwple!"
And so with a smile, she kept her son held to her hips as she made her way through the crowded streets and into the town square. Here, men of all kinds sold quite a numbe rof goods, and fresh baked breads and treats wafted through the air, along with the fun, frolicking sounds of a foreign reed pipe from Essyrni, a song of the desert being played as a woman danced about, twirling around colorful streamers against her body. Samuel was enthralled, captivated by all of the sights and smells.

"Here, Samuel. One purple streamer." she said, and set him down upon the cobblestone street and handed the sticked end to him.  The child froze, his eyes going wide, as he held it between his fat fingers, not sure what to do with the thing before beginning to wave it about with a giggle of glee. Dylanna's smile widened as she ruffled his hair. But then the child began to whip the streamer about so quickly,  and dash around in a mad circle, Dylanna hadn't gotten a chance to calm him down.

"S-Samuel!" she shouted, making pursuit. "Stay close! The market is crowded!" and before she knew what she was doing, she ran full force into a man nearby with an 'oof.'
Stumbling back, she righted herself and looked up at the man.
"So sorry about that. I was just chasing my son and I-"
and then she gasped, a breath catching in her throat as her eyes widened.
"You!"

OOC: Hope this intro works for ya XD
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant. It was a mental mantra he didn't even realize was running through his head. The constant subconscious reminder kept him in his role, secure that he wasn't a street urchin. So much of his life as Theodore Wrenthis had been a struggle to survive. Even when he was the most skilled pickpocket in the alleys of Zantaric, there were still bloodthirsty cutthroats and rogues to contend with. His fingers itched to dive into pouches and take fat purses as he walked through the festival. The festival. Silly thing was completely his idea. They didn't even realize he had nudged and manipulated them all in the direction of this event. Many of the street performers were wolves, skilled at distractions and cons, while many others skirted the edges of crowds, pilfering the wealth of the hapless gawkers. Canis Rufus had given the usual order that Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, was off limits. The wolves themselves didn't know that he was Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, so as he strolled down the street in his usual attire, purple was his color today, it was not surprising when a hand found its way to his coin purse. With lightning reflexes he caught the hand by the wrist and had his jeweled long knife pressed to the young girls throat. He didn't recognize her.

"Name?"

The girl had terror in her eyes and she was trembling hard. With a baby face like that she couldn't be more than fifteen years old. Children. This gave him a bitter taste in his mouth. He hated seeing them working the streets. He hated his childhood, or lack of. He hated a lot of things.

"If this were Zantaric, your throat would be slit already, and I'd have your take," he put his face close to hers as he spoke with venom in his voice, "Your name little wolf, or should I cut it from you."

"M-m-mel sir," she stuttered out, "Melyndaria. I'm no wolf sir."

He quickly sheathed his knife, and stood straight. He did not release the trembling girl, and now that he looked at her better, he realized she was much taller than he had thought. Maybe even a bit taller than himself even. His eyes narrowed as he looked her over more closely. She was wearing armored boots, strange bucklers, a long hooded cloak, and had a short spear on her back.

"How old are you girl?"

"Sixteen sir."

"Well you'll find the wolves don't take kindly to free agents stealing in Arca. You'll be a wolf by the end of the day or be gone from the city. I recommend you speak to the shop owner down the road there, he'll let you into the Den. Otherwise you'll quickly find yourself dead." Ryk reached into his coin purse and pulled out two gold coins and an orange token. "You'll have to pay him to get by with your things, and this token will get you past the guards in the tunnels." He handed her all three and then reached into the purse and pulled out a green token. "This one will get you a good meal. When you are finished, you'll find that The Red Wolf himself will want to speak to you. He doesn't take kindly to people trying to steal from his friends. The wolves are everywhere child, so heed my words." He handed her the token and released her. Melyndaria wasted no time in running off, straight toward the shop. Smart girl.

It seemed nobody had noticed the encounter, other than a few other thieves and pickpockets. That should keep him from having any other run ins. Distracted as he was in that moment he didn't notice a woman moving quickly in his direction. As he turned she ran right into him. Good thing he was always steady on his feet. She stumbled back from him and began to apologize.

"So sorry about that. I was just chasing my son and I-"
and then she gasped, a breath catching in her throat as her eyes widened.
"You!"

He couldn't believe his eyes. "You," he whispered gently.

Lanna

It had been years. This woman. This woman that he had considered giving up womanizing for. This woman that would have complicated his life as the Black Wolf as he was at that time. This woman. Marriage to her would have made him far wealthier than he was now. The deals and contracts he would have come into would have given him the power to buy and sell anything and everything in Arca. With power like that he could have created an empire. Now she was half the power in Arca, and he the other half. Politicians did nothing without seeing one of them first. Under all that though, she was still a woman. She didn't make him feel weak like women had when he was younger. She didn't fill him with that crazy urge of lust and desire that a face and figure that beautiful should have. She was strong, and powerful. She needed no man. And there was just something in her eyes. She mistakenly thought herself another conquest, and it would have been weak of him to tell her otherwise, and he detested weakness. She made him feel. That could be dangerous for him, but he was a master of his emotions, and had never shown her an ounce of this.

His breath caught in his chest and his heart skipped a beat. This woman. And in that flash of a moment he had it under control. He was once again cool and collected. A son? Why had this fact escaped him? It was true he had ordered all wolves away from her and her dealings, but surely this would have found its way to him. Then she must have been married. A pity. His quick eyes shot to her hand then her ear. No jewelry denoting a union. Interesting. Perhaps the father was not in the picture. Interesting indeed.

"Hello Lanna," he said in his usual cool tone. He was sure she hated that he called her that, but it sounded sweet, and he felt it complimented her strength better than Dylan did. "Please don't let me obstruct your chase. Perhaps I could be of service? We don't want the boy to get too far off. The little one with the purple streamer? Good choice of color," he said plucking at his purple trimmed coat.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

"Hello Lanna," he said in his usual cool tone.
It was that tone that kicked her back into her old habits, into her old mentality to steel herself off towards men, especially men like Ryk Handelaar. Her eyes narrowed as she set her jaw.

"Hello, Mr. Handelaar," she replied stiffly. But as his inquiry to help, her lips parted open, eyes widening a bit as she stammered. "That isn't necessary. I can find him on my-" ANd as she turned to walk away from him to scout out the crowd for her child, Samuel came running back and clung to her leg.

"Oh!" her eyes widened. "Oh, Samuel! Thank goodness." she siad with a sigh, and quickly bent down to be at his level as she looked her son squarely in the eyes. "Now now, what did I tell you about running off on these streets alone? There's too many people here, Sam. What would your mommy do if something would have happened to you?"

The child seemed to ignore his mother's scolded as he thrust out his hand.
"Look, Mama! I got a stone!"

Blinking, Dylanna looked down at the polished pebble.
"That's er.. nice dear."

"The lady over there gave it to me. She said it would bring me good luck in my future!"

Dylanna turned to observed a woman swathed in a dark cloak, who promptly disappeared into the crowd. She had been gritting her teeth, but pressed her lips together as she sighed through her nose.

"Look, Samuel. If you want to keep that streamer I bought for you, you'll have to listen to me. I have no qualms of taking it away if you-"

"But Mooooom," the little child pouted. "I got the stone for you!"

Blinking, Dylanna sighed and put out her hand. "Alright, hand it over to me. But you're still not off the hook. You're too young to be wandering off on your own." And she took the stone, the her son's hand and rose off the ground and turned, only to then realize Ryk Handelaar was still there.

"Oh.. err.." she blushed and looked away, squeezing Samuel's hands as the child looked up at Ryk with his bright blue eyes.

"Mama, who's the man in puwple?" Sam worked at brushing his dark brown hair out of his eyes.
"Well you see- he's er," she began to explain but then Sam interrupted.

"I like his clothes."

Dylanna's face fell as she let out a breathy laugh, lookig back over at Mr. Handelaar while adjusting the leather pouch purse she carried over her shoulder.

"Yes, he has very nice clothes." She looked Ryk over before sighing. "Samuel, this is one of mommy's.. er.. friends." Telling him he was a merchant to a three year old would go over his head. And 'it's complicated and i hate his stinking guts' would also be a tough one to explain. And she wasn't about to admit to ANYONE he was Sam's father.

"Sam, this is Mr. Handelaar.. Mr. Handelaar, this is Samuel."
And she tucked her lower lip into her mouth as she looked down at her son, then over at Ryk. "He's my son," though the way she said it, somethign in her voice sounded almost sad at the announcement, though it that awkward moment she then realized..

"Say, Sam... why don't you and I go see what sort of other activities they've got going on in the square. I'm sure Mr. Handelaar is very busy right now. He's a merchant like mommy is, after all."

And at that, Sam's eyes went wide.
"You sail on ships too?"

"Er, not quite like that, Sam.."

"Have you ever been on mama's ship? IT's real big and rocks over the waves, like this!" and he put his arms out like a airplane, and proceeded to teeter them back and forth and was making ocean waves through pursed lips.

Dylanna couldn't help herself but snort out a laugh, a hand cupping over her lips as she shook her head.
"Really, Sam, we should get going. It's a busy day for all of us." And she gave Ryk a stern glare, warning him not to goad on her son, or rather, try any funny business. Though part of her lost that rigid authority she once had, it was difficult to remain as piercing when she had a child clinging to her wrist an twirling around his pretty purple streamer.
"Well.. it's been nice."
But not really, and she attempted to turn in a hasty retreat.

The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

He heard every word she said, and he filed them all away into a permanent place in his mind that was special for her. Every cutting remark, every sharp glare. He kept them all. Like armor on his heart they protected him from this woman and the weakness she could possibly be for him. The boy ran up to his mother and clung to her leg. Good timing kid, keep her here so I can continue gazing into her eyes. Eyes. The boys were shaped just like his mothers, though they lacked her lovely green coloring. They were the ever common blue. Only brown eyes could have been worse. Poor kid must have gotten those from his father, or maybe a kick back from a distant relative. He saw much of her in his face though, even with that pudginess that children have. Children. This one would be loved, have a wonderful life. Hopefully. Perhaps he would have to insert himself back into Lanna's life. If he could prevent tragedy from befalling her, and by extension, this boy, perhaps then his life of constant battle would have some sort of legacy. He doubted he would ever have children of his own. He wouldn't know how to show them the values a moral person should have. He did not want to pass on his cutthroat lifestyle. Neither the one he walked in the sun, nor the one that crept along in his shadow. She was reprimanding the child now. So calm and patient, but stern. Seemed she was a good mother.

"The lady over there gave it to me. She said it would bring me good luck in my future!"

Ryk looked over at the woman, swathed in a dark cloak, who promptly disappeared into the crowd. A peculiar sight. He'd try to remember to have someone look into her.

"I like his clothes."

Dylanna's face fell as she let out a breathy laugh, looking back over at Ryk while adjusting the leather pouch purse she carried over her shoulder. A little wolf pup was about to make a grab for but Ryk warned him of with a glance and an inconspicuous wolf hand signal, as he made as if to brush a hair out of his face.

"Yes, he has very nice clothes." She looked Ryk over before sighing. "Samuel, this is one of mommy's.. er.. friends." Right, a friend. Seemed the boy was probably sparing him from a good tongue lashing. He had to say though, the boy had good taste in clothes. He couldn't help smirk at that. An introduction quickly followed and then the boy, Sam, was pantomiming the motions of a boat on water. Seemed he liked boats, he'd make use of that later. Before he could even utter a word, Lanna was beating a quick retreat, Sam on her hip.

As hasty as that retreat was, Ryk was ever light on his feet, and with a few quick steps he was strolling at her side. He had purchased a few sweets earlier and reached into his pocket to fetch one out.

"Well Sam, Samuel, I have been on your mothers boat. It was a very memorable trip," he watched Lanna from the corner of his eye at that remark, "I enjoyed myself so much I had three ships commissioned in the exact model of your mothers. It really is a great ship." He unwrapped the candy and placed it in his mouth, and began folding the wrapper. Coffee was one of his favorites, a flavor he'd been turned onto by none other than Dylanna's father. He wondered if she knew how close he had actually been to the man. He had intrigued Ryk. He was strong willed, and excellent at business. He used none of the tricks and manipulation that Ryk did, and was often times more successful. He claimed it was knowing how to see into a persons heart and making them want what you wanted. He was kind to Ryk. The first person to every be kind without motive. Ryk first saw it as weakness, but soon learned otherwise. He was the only true friend he ever had. If he were still alive, he had no doubt that somehow he would have convinced Ryk to reform his rogue lifestyle. After folding the wrapper into a tiny waxed paper boat, he reached into his pocket and pulled out another candy. Strawberry. He opened his hands offering them to Sam.

"May the child have a sweet Lanna?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

"Well Sam, Samuel, I have been on your mothers boat. It was a very memorable trip," he watched Lanna from the corner of his eye at that remark, "I enjoyed myself so much I had three ships commissioned in the exact model of your mothers. It really is a great ship."

Oh, the dirty look she was giving him when he brought up the trip. Her cheeks heated to her ears, and she kept her lips flat, eyes menacing, but when he moved on to offer her child candy, she had had enough of him already to last the rest of her life time and snatched the candy from his hand.
"Absolutely not."
What if the candy was poisoned?

"But mama-"

"No, Samuel, perhaps we can eat the candy later-"

"But I want it now!" the child cried.

"Samuel, please, let's not make a fuss in the square-"

"And he had a paper boat! I wanted to see the paper boat!" And the kids mouthed popped open so wide, and a wail came out like a siren. Dylanna cringed.

"Please, Samuel, not here." And not in front of him. "Look, you can have the candy later."
And when she tried to move to comfort him, the child pushed her away. "Samuel!"

"No! I want it now! Want it now!"

Dylanna rolled her eyes. "Here, you can have the boat." but when she hande dit over to him, the thing was smashed, causing her child to fall into real tears this time.

Aeytrious

Oh goodness. This kid had some pipes. He could howl like a little wolf. True to his quick nature, he shot a hand into his pocket, pulled out a candy, unwrapped it, and popped the thing into his mouth. The grape candy did not mix well with the coffee flavored one he was eating, but he could solve that after he tamed the child.

"Hey Samuel, Sam buddy. Let me show you how I make the boat kiddo. Watch this little man. I'm gonna fold this paper into a boat." He held the paper where Sam could see it and began folding the waxed paper into a little purple boat. A boat was easy, not many folds, and it seemed to be calming him. He handed the little boat to the teary eyed tike, and reached for two more candies. He unwrapped them and popped them into his mouth. Orange and vanilla. Well it was really getting full in his mouth, but he needed two papers for this next one.

"Wath thith kitho," he slurred around the four hard candies. With deft hands he folded another little vessel, complete with mast and sail. He smiled awkwardly with the lumps in his cheeks, and handed the no longer crying child the boat. He fetched a handkerchief from his pocket and deposited three of the candies within, folded it up, and placed it in another pocket. A look of smug satisfaction crawled onto his face as he looked back to Dylanna. The 'horrible womanizer', as she had called him once, had tamed her son.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Dylanna found herself staring, and only staring, with a held breath, as Ryk had somehow managed to calm her son. Samuel was even laughing again.

"Thanks for the boat!" and the kid took it and began to run circles around the two adults. Dylanna only awkwardly stared over at Ryk, not even sure what to say.

"Er... thanks." And she glanced down at Sam. "Look, Sam, we ought to go-" though by the time she had said it, Sam had already clung onto Ryk's arm and was laughing, and making the sail boat zoom ontop of Rky's head. And then wiht a clumsy gesture, the kid accidentally socked Ryk right int he face when he was trying to make the boat come down. And it was that motion that made Dylanna sputte rout a laugh before clasping a hand over her lips.

Aeytrious

Ryk was pleased with his success. He wasn't fond of children, but he didn't dislike them either. They were just not a part of his world. The kid was having a great time, and the two boats he made for him had worked out better than he had hoped. The little guy was even sailing all over Ryk's head now. Dylanna thanked him for the effort, and Ryk swore he felt hell freeze over right then. It seemed children could work miracles. And then the kid did something unexpected. He popped Ryk right in the face. Man the little guy was pretty strong. Dylanna instantly began to laugh, and little Sam stared into Ryk's eyes. He seemed unsure of what result the accidental punch was going to get. Ryk couldn't help him self. He smiled wide, and let out a small chuckle.

"Wow Sam, you're srong little man. I'd hate for you to really hit me on purpose," Ryk narrowed his eyes at Sam, "or was that on purpose?" He reached out and started tickling the boy. "Was that on purpose? Was it? You trying to keep me away from your mommy? I thought we were friends. I even made you boats." He continued tickling Sam until the boy laughed out an apology.

"I know you didn't mean to. It's okay. We still buddies?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Oh.. how... what... it...

Dylanna's mind seemed to cease functioning as she watched Ryk interact with her child. The two seemed to play naturally together, even after she too, was holding a breath to see if he'd dare scold her child. Well.. his child too, but he didn't need to know that.

"Yeah! We can be best fwiends and you can come over and play with mama!"

Dylanna smiled and dropped down beside her son.
"Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves my little prince." and she kissed him upon his cheek. "Don't forget we have the rest of the festival to see." and as she took her son by the hand, he turned around and smiled back at Ryk.

"Bye bye Mister hambar."

ANd Dylanna was snorting again.

"Handelaar, sweety. It's Mr. Handelaar." but she gave a shake of her head and playful roll of her eyes and attempted, yet again to turn away from him, but Sam spat out another attempt and a wave of his hand.

"Bye, bye, Mister Hawendaaaar!"

"Yes, come along. Maybe we can get you one of those wooden flutes and some cake."
And at the mention of cake, Samuel's eyes got wide.
"Cake!"

Aeytrious

"Cake? Cake sounds amazing. I'd love some cake," Ryk smiled widely at Sam and ruffled the boys hair, "so Sam, can I call you Sam? You can call me Ryk. That's a lot easier to say than my surname. Right little pup?" He did a little sleight of hand trick and pulled a silver coin from the boys ear. "This will buy a great flute, and I can show you how to play it. I'm pretty good if I say so myself," and he pressed the coin into Sam's hand.

"Samuel Swinden. That's a good name. I think your grandfather would have liked it. Initials S.S.," he turned to Dylanna, "I hear there's testing of a new type of vessel. A ship that runs on steam, a steamship. The correspondent I hear from calls it an S.S.," he turned back to Sam, "Someday lots of ships are gonna have your initials Sam," he gently pinched the tip of the boys nose.

He stood and looked down to Sam, "well your mom wants to see the festival, and so do I, but I don't think I can pry myself away from you yet Sam. How about we find your mom some cake. That might make her happy to have me along. The whole day will be my treat." He couldn't help throwing a wink at Dylanna. "What do you say Lanna? Can you survive spending a day at a festival with me? I'll spoil him at your discretion, and it'll be easier for you to relax if there is someone else to help out. I won't bring up business at all, and I promise to behave perfectly. Cross my heart," as he concluded he marked his chest in a cross with his finger.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Where as her son was really taken by him and his purple shirt, Dylanna wasn't sure how to take this. He was being... awfully nice towards her son, perhaps a bit too amicable and she wondered what he wanted, or what was his game. She cast a glare his way, but when her son was shouting, "Yaaaaaaaay!" and prancing around all happy like that Ryk got to share the day with him, she couldn't say no. Scowling, she looked away.

"Oh, alright. But only because Sam seems to like you," she said, keeping her gaze averted from his before snagging her child by the arm. "Come along, Sam."
Gods, why did she feel she was going to regret this?

With her son skipping along against her side, and Ryk Handelaar too close for comfort, she found herself in a rotten mood, despite all of the light hearted music strumming through the square, and heavenly scents and colors wafting about. So as she was walking along, she failed to notice a merchant with a menagerie of tiny dragons all hung about in little bird cages. ANd the tiny, dward dragons came in all shapes and sizes, ranging from the size of a small dog, to ones so tiny they could fit int he palm of your hand. ANd naturally, Samuel had wanted one.

"Mommy, mommy! I want a gween one! I want a gween one!" and as he tugged on his mother's sleeve, he glanced over at the cages with a grin. She was never fond of lizards... or dragons. Or whatever they were.
"Er.. I don't think so Samuel. I'm sure they're too expensive and you are too small."

"Awww.. pwease mama?" and he looked at her with those bright, sky blue eyes of his as she sighed, finding herself looking over at Ryk and noticing his eyes. God.. if only she could shove her finer sinto his eyes, somehow erase the smirk off of his lips and find a way to go back in time and change the fact she just so easily let herself just...

But no...
without her one night mistake.. she never would have had Sam. And Samuel was a blessing in disguise.

Aeytrious

The Dragons were something he especially had been hoping to see. He'd heard many tales of the little pseudodragons. They stayed small forever, they were as intelligent as children, and had the temperament of cats, with the loyalty of dogs. He had many exotic animals on his estate, and this was something he'd been looking forward to.

He caught Sam gently by the hand to draw his attention, "Little pup, I'm gonna have to agree with your mom on this one. A pet like that is a lot of work. I don't think you'd like having to clean up dragon poop. Am I right? That would be gross. But I tell you what, you can visit my house some time and play with them there," he turned to the man running the stall and called for him to come closer.

"I want four. A green one because that's what Sam wants," he gave the boy a smile, "A blue one, since Sam and I both know his mother is fond of the color, she wears a lot of blue," he winked at her with that, "A Black one, and that one gold one you have there."

"They are twenty gold a piece sir, and the cages are large, I don't think you can carry them all," said the stall vendor. Ryk reached into his coat and pulled out a small tin and a pocket book with a leaf of papers. From the tin he pulled a stick of coal and wrote on a small slip of paper. He used a small signet ring and a bit of soft malleable wax to mark the slip with his sigil. He then handed the slip to the man.

"That writ is worth 100 gold coins upon the delivery of 4 dragons. 1 green, 1 blue, 1 black, and 1 gold. My house man will pay you upon receiving that note and the items listed on it." He pressed another 5 gold into the mans hand with the note. "I hope that will take care of everything."

"Yes, of course sir," the man said, and hurried off to see to the arrangements immediately.

"So you'll have to come see them at my house little pup," Ryk said to Sam, "and maybe bring your mom along? She needs to have fun too."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Samuel pouted.
"But I wouldn't mind dragon poop," Samuel said in earnest. ANd he turned to his mother and gave a tug on her sleeve, which jolted her out of the gaping mouthed stare she had been giving to Mr. Handelaar this entire time. He had to be up to something, and it grated on her nerves to know he was using her own child against her (ignoring the fact  well.. so it was his child too!) but not really... No, no, no. this wasn't good at all, so when Samuel kept pressing the issue, she snapped.

"No, Sam, I'm afraid we can not!" And she narrowed her game upon Ryk. "What game are you up to on this, Mr. Handelaar?" she inquired, raising a sharp brow at him. "I run into you and now after all these years and well... you're trying to find any means to weasel your way into my day. Yo know how I feel.." she said between her teeth, keeping a firm grip on Sam's hand. "Now...I had come here to be with my son, and I was gracious enough to allow you to remain as an escort, and I was trying to be amicable, but I can not further condone this relationship. He is too young to be paraded about to see.. see.. some silly little dragons in your home"

And she sure as hell did NOT want to be anywhere near his estate, let alone with her child.
ANd what if he were to ever find out Sam was his? Was he cruel enough to take him? NO!
He would never, cause if he dared.. she'd cut out his throat!
She'd never killed a man before, she never had to, but if it was for her son.. she would fight against hte devil himself.

"Look, I do appreciate your help, but," here, she grit her teeth, realizing Samuel was already in tears, and her sternness began to melt away again. "Please, Samuel, Im trying to talk to-"

"But you're not.. not talking!" he hicoughed through tears. "You're y-yelling at him mamaaa." the boy wailed. "It's scaring me!" and at this, Dylanna found herself at a loss of words.

Aeytrious

Well that did not go at all how Ryk had planned. He only intended on buying two, but with the boy here he couldn't help himself. The look on the child's face did something to him. Kids didn't normally have any effect on him. He left them alone, and they did the same to him. Perhaps it was because he was Dylanna's child, or perhaps because he felt so close to the boys Grandfather. Whatever the reason, his well intentioned actions only upset Dylanna. He was finally getting the tongue lashing he expected, but Samuel was interrupting. She had scared the child. For the first time ever since they had met, Ryk showed her genuine emotion. He gave her a rather unpleasant and stern look. Then he bent down to the boy and tried to soothe him again.

"Hey Sam, little pup, we're buddies right? I'm sorry her yelling scared you, but your mama has a right to be upset with me. I did something a long time ago that made her really really mad at me. She's still mad about it and its been over four years since it happened. That's longer than your whole life, so it must have hurt her pretty bad," he looked at Dylanna as he spoke to Sam, "Maybe your mama will forgive me someday and we can all relax,"he said with emphasis, "and play together. But I don't wanna see you cry little pup. Festivals are for smiles. No more pouting or begging. Okay buddy? You listen to your mom. She knows best. I think she wants me to go though. Okay bud?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

At his glance, Dylanna actually felt... uncomfortable, and ashamed. It was hard to explain, but this side of Ryk Handelaar she had never seen. And it unnerved her (and dare she admit, when he was being good to their her child, she got a little soft hearted, too?) What a painfilled dream that would be, more of a night mare..
to think.. if Ryk Handelaar ever wanted to...
No, no. She was not even going to go there. Steeling herself, she sighed.

"I'm sorry I snapped,"S he said between her teeth, then turned away from him. "We have to go." And moved hastily back into the streets, a pouty Samuel at her side. He had agreed to listen to Ryk's words, but as he was walking away, brushing at his tears, he looked up at his mother and said, "But I liked him, mama. He bought me a dwagon. A gween one."

Dylanna sighed, and bent down to kiss his head. "I know honey, but come on. We still have cake to get." But then Samuel stopped suddenly, and Dylanna almost stumbled over her boots. Turning around, she gave him a look, and then her son blurted out, "I have to go potty!"

Dylanna's face fell, but then she smiled at him and shook her head. "Come on, let's find you one of those moon houses." Cause that's what he called them anyways when he had learned to relieve himself, and she began to look to see if any were outside, if not.. well, she supposed they'd have to stop inside a shop. Oh, the things she'd do for her child, and as she was looking around, she caught sight of Ryk again and found herself staring, before quickly lookign away when Samuel shouted. "A moon house! A moon house!"

And so it was. A moon house.. indeed. and it turned out little Samuel had to make his own type of dragon poop. And of course, he was taking his time, playing with his paper folded boat instead of focusing on the task at hand as Dylanna sighed. "Samuel, please hurry up in there. It'll be nightfall before you're through!"

Aeytrious

Years ago Theodore Wrenthis, filthy rogue, had mastered the art of shadowing a mark. Since living in Arca, Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, had translated that talent into the balls and parties he attended regularly. This was like a combination of the two. He would appear to an observer to be wandering through the festival without aim or purpose. In reality he was following Dylanna and Sam. He may be off limits to the wolves, but they were not. A woman distracted by a child was an easy mark, and that strap over Dylanna's shoulder would not be difficult to grab hold of as a snatcher ran past.

As he kept a watchful eye on her and Sam, who apparently was in need of a mobile out building, he actually managed a bit of shopping. As he browsed a stall he pulled out one of the three candies wrapped in the kerchief, and rinsed it with a small decanter of water he had in his coat. With the coffee flavored one gone, vanilla was the best flavor to follow it. As he tucked the handkerchief away again he spotted a finely crafted, short, ebony, flute. It was perfect for Sam, and with such fine craftsmanship, Ryk bought one for himself as well. He paid the vendor and tucked the two flutes into his vest. Next he bought an exotic bird, and paid to have it delivered to his estate, all the while keeping Lanna and Sam in sight.

From the corner of his eye he could see her looking at him, "A moon house! A moon house!" Sam was a cute kid, hopefully he would be as strong as his mother. He would have to have flowers sent to her. He couldn't attach his name to them, but at least she'd enjoy them.

The kid sure was taking his time in there. Had he fallen in? That would be a disaster.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

By the time Samuel was through, the mother and son pair were now walking back through the festivities, smiling and laughing at all the exotic animals, impressed greatly by the parrots and tigers  and even a caged bear.

"Woooooooooah, that animal is so big, mama." ANd he clung to his mother as she held him. Dylanna chuckled. "Yes, Samuel. It's a bear."

"A bear?"

"Like in the book I read you at night about the huntress in the woods."

Sam's eyes became as large as dinner plates.
"He's so big!" And Dylanna was laughing again. "Come on, let's go get you that flute you wanted. I believe I saw some vendors selling them over-"

"MAMA, LOOK!" ANd just when Dylanna had thought she spotted Mr. Handelaar again, her son tugged her away. "Look!" and she turned around, gasping as he loooked at a litter of.. "Puppies!"

Except they were not puppies, they were wolves. Dylanna gave them an uneasy look. "No, Samuel, those are not puppies, but baby wolves."

The child didn't seem to understand and said, "I want one! Mama, can I have one? I want a wolf pup! I want one!" and when Dylanna looked up, the toothy wolf vendor gave her a smile. "It's only fifty gold for one."

Her face fell. "Fifty gold?" she shook her head. Ridiculous! Who would pay such a ludicrous price? It's a good thing she wasn't planning on buying one anyway. "No.. no thank you." she said, smiling politely to the gentleman and gave a bow. "But.. say.. can he at least play with them?" They seemed friendly, all of them looking up at her, wagging their little tails. Her smile warmed.

The vendor smiled, puffing at his pipe. "Sure, but it'll be a few coppers."
And Dylanna turned to him with a start. "What!?" Was he seriously going to charge her for her child to play with the wolf pups!?

Aeytrious

Wolf pups. The irony was lost on all of them. There he was, the pup of the Red Wolf, though the red wolf did not know it, looking at wolf pups. If Sam's mother knew he was a wolf pup, she'd surely be even more appalled of his secret heritage. That vendor was one of his. The discreetly chalked symbol behind his stall signified that Scavengers were encouraged to relieve the customers of their purses. That was perfect. He caught the mans attention, and used hand talk to give him instructions and expect payment for helping a friend of the Red Wolf. He could tell the man was hesitant to trust someone in such fancy clothes so Ryk grabbed a passing boy.

"Go give that man there this red token, and I'll have a gold coin for you when you return."

The boy didn't hesitate in following his instructions. A gold coin. The child's parents probably had to save for months to have a gold coin. He paid the boy the promised gold coin and melted into the crowd to watch. After receiving the red token, the vendor didn't hesitate in following his instructions either.

"Well miss, I suppose the son of such a prominent merchant like yourself can play with the pups for free. And perhaps you'd reconsider buying one. Only 5 gold for the Mistress of House Swinden."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Dylanna raised a brow questionably when the man seemed to suddenly change his tune, but Samuel was more than elated and the moment he was in with the wolf pups, they were all over him, adoring him and giving him wolfly, puppy kisses. Dylanna couldn't fight back her smile, and just silently observed her son having fun. Maybe if she...

No, no! As much as the pups were cute, wolves were wild animals. Domesticating them, she had been told, was damn near impossible. But even still... her son seemed to fit right at home with the pups. She had to wonder if there were any dog merchants around here. Maybe she could get him a little dog or some other sort to help work on the ship, but as she leaned over the fenced in area while Samuel played, one of the blue eyed, grey wolf pups approached her. She gave it a smile, and it gave her a little yip in return, nd began to wriggle it's little puppy tail.

"No, no, I will not pet you." But hte little pup was persistent, and eventually Dylanna had joined her son in playing with the puppies inside the pen. They were quite affectionate little things, and the one with the blue eyes that had gotten her attention, eventually found it's way to sit it's chubby little rear onto her lap.

Aeytrious

Ryk couldn't help but smile as he watched his son play with the wolf pups. If he knew Sam was his son, his smile would probably have been even wider. As he watched from a distance, he could see that even Dylanna was eventually won over by the cuteness of the pups. Perhaps with the low price of five gold, she would buy a pup for Sam. He grabbed a few other trinkets he thought the boy might like, and when a woman pulling a flower cart came by, he bought them all and had them sent to the Swinden estate. He was really enjoying the relaxation of not being Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant, or Canis Rufus, The Red Wolf. He was just another face in the crowd. And shopping freely like this, was pleasant. If all his days could be this calm, he'd be content to give up thieving, but that was unlikely.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey