Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Eyes of Blue

Started by visualspice, June 15, 2013, 10:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

She wasn't exactly sure how it happened, but as she and Samuel were heading home for the night, the same, chubby legged wolf puppy was sitting on her lap, wagging his tail. And Samuel was all starry eyed, but also sleepy. So after rambling on incessantly about how happy he was he had gotten his own wolf, he eventually passed out along with the puppy inside the carriage. Smiling, Dylanna stroked a hand through his dark hair and peered out at Arca.

It had been some time since she had been here. She had grown up on these streets, learned how to make a deal or two with some of the other merchant families here, and made friends. Though she was more shy, like her mother, she hadn't kept many tabs on friends over the years unless it was purely business. And with Samuel in tow, it became even harder for her to keep in contact with some of them, but she found out having a son brought all sorts of attention her way; it was one reason she liked living out at sea, and the first several years of Samuel's life he spent primarily on the ocean. No one could question a bastard child out there, and when questioned upon a more permanent return to the city, she would simply say she'd rather not talk about it, and most understood, believing the stories her husband must have been killed soon after they were married. He must have been a trader, or ship hand of the sort, since no extra wealth had come of it.  Normally, she went along with the stories, but never verbally agreed with it. But.. it was what it was.
There was actually only one other man from her original crew during that night of hte storm that knew Samuel's true father,a nd she kept the man quiet by paying him a handsome allowance, and he rarely had to work at all. And she liked to keep it that way. It was best the truth was kept secret, lest she want to find her poor child to become publicly labeled a bastard, not to mention the very idea it could spin into the prison like result of a marriage... or worse; and the last thing she wanted was shame to come to her family name, and the business. It would not only make her father roll over in his grave, but she had to think of Samuel, had to protect him, and to protect herself.

As the carriage pulled up to her estate, she was surprised to see another carriage pulling out. Some delivery wagon of some kind, so when she went to enter the front door and asked the servant, he simply replied, "Oh.. all of these things came for you. And young master Swinden."

Dylanna blinked, and as she stepped into her house, she stood there, wide eyed and in shock to see not only a pile of toys her sleepy son Samuel was now excitedly awake over, but her entire entry way and parlor room full of flowers. Her mouth just fell open, staring at it, all the while her son and wolf pup began to run rampant.

To her servant she asked, "Do.. do you know who sent this? Surely, they must have left a name?"

The old servant raised his shaggy grey eyebrows sat her, brown eyes curious, then he lowered his gaze and shrugged. "I'm not sure, my lady, perhaps there's a note in some of these flowers?"
And then as he watched Dylanna step through, admiring the flowers in wonder, he had to ask, "So.. got a secret admirer do you?"

And somehow her mind went back to Mr. Handelaar. No.. it couldn't have been him, could it? But her cheeks burned at the question, especially when the old man chuckled in noting her blush.

"No, no. You know I'm hardly one for courtship. I haven' even had a proper moment of engagement to give someone else the belief or temptation to even consider such a thing. Besides, I'm well past the good age a man ought to chase after a woman for a wife."

Her servant raised his brow, looking her over. He then coughed to clear his throat, raising his brows even further as he began to say,
"Forgive me, Mistress Swinden, but I'd have to disagree. You look stunning, like your mother had been.... even in your age, and your age isn't anything to squawk about. You're not even thirty." he said with a chuckle. "And I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't happened sooner."

"Jasper!" she scolded, her blush becoming fiercer. Then with a shake of her head, she tried to hide her smile with a tired sigh.  THe servant only smiled more broadly, obviously pleased the mood these flowers were putting his mistress in.

"What am I to do with these all?" she said out loud, and then there was a crash and she whirled around, gasping and shouting, "SAMUEL!" as both boy and pup ran full force into priceless vase. It was now in pieces upon the floor. Placing a hand over her face, she groaned and shook her head.

"Shall I clean up that mess, my lady?" the old servant asked.

"Yes, please, Jasper. That would be good, before my pair of trouble maker's here carry those pieces through the house or one of them gets a cut foot or paw."And she plucked up her son and sighed, all the while he was giggling and reaching up to a pair of morning glories that had been strung around the frame of a door. Dylanna stared at them. Someone had spent an awful lot of attention in setting this up. But the question was, who? And to think, those blue morning glories were one of her favorites, she grew a lot of them in her gardens and a ton that snaked up hte vines on the side of the stone walls of her manor.

"Mommy, are you mad?" Samuel asked, after a time, putting a finger into his mouth with a pout.

"I don't even know if I could yell at you. Not with all of these flowers about it's just.." She found herself laughing and shaking her head. "Come, Samuel, bring your pup and we cna make a game out of it. See if you can find a card that labels who sent these items so perhaps we can thank them tomorrow." And she set her child upon the ground and he and the pup took off running, playing rather than helping her look.

THough part of her was flattered, another part of her feared what it could mean. Was someone actually interested in her? Some secret admirer? She hadn't wanted to consider marriage, not now, not ever, but if someone's tactics were like this, it would become hard to ignore. Though perhaps she was getting ahead of her self, yet, why was she still spending well over half an hour seeing if there was any sort of clue to who left the gifts? It was very odd indeed, flattering, but odd. And she was still pink-faced as she continued to look.

OOC: Not sure if there was anything specific she ought to find so yeah, I can wrap up this scene or you can if you want, unless he's going to make some appearance again that night. lol. Guess I'll wait and see XD
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

Little glass spheres, wooden soldiers, toy boats, toy carriages, exotic wind-up toys, stuffed animals, a kite, tops, dice, a pop-gun, a wooden sword and padded shield, a stick horse, a ring and peg game, a ball and cup game, a toy bow, a puzzle, a miniature trebuchet, a rocking horse, a sling and bean bags, a wheeled wooden dragon, and so many more toys. The only toy that Ryk didn't have delivered for Sam was the ebony flute he had in his vest. For Dylanna he had purchased the contents of three flower carts. Her entryway was surely full of them now.

As he walked up the path leading to the door from the gates he was not welcomed by Jasper, the secret delivery he sent must still have the household busy. He even found the front door ajar. Plain white tulips in hand, not anything Dylanna would see as special, he stepped into the entryway to find her and Samuel, with the pup in tow, looking through all the flowers.

He suspected they were looking for a card that would tell them that he had had them all delivered, but there was no such card. If she knew they were from him she would likely have them all tossed out. That would be a waste, she deserved to enjoy beautiful and fragrant flowers as any woman did.

Jasper was distracted with the cleaning of a shattered vase, that Ryk was sure had been a favorite of Lord Swinden, a pity, perhaps he could locate a duplicate. The other servants were nowhere to be seen, so there must be other tasks to tend to. He stood watching for a moment, then cleared his throat to draw their attention.

"Well it seems I've been greatly outdone. All I brought was this simple bouquet for the lady of the house, and this wooden flute for the young master." He reached into his vest and brandished the ebony flute he had stored there, smiling all the while.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

visualspice

The wolf pup had been doing his rounds, following and playing with Samuel and chewing on a wind up toy until it was in pieces on the ground. The boy seemed not to notice, he as preoccupied with his toy sword and shield and was tapping at a pair of roses until all of the petals had fallen off. Dylanna had her back to him, so she hadn't notice, and was on her hand sand knees looking through a pair of yellow flowers on the floor. But still.. it was to no avail. There was no card to be had. ANd it was the animal that noticed the other wolf at the door.

The wolf pup's ears shot up and it bounded over Samuel and scrambled across the floor, tail wagging, mouth open as it gave a happy bark and began to run in wild circles around Mr. Handelaar before leaping at him and licking furiously at his hands, even attempting to sniff and bite the plain flowers he held.

It was at all of the commotion, and the voice Dylanna sat up, and banged her head off of hte underside of the table she had just been crouching beneath. With a swear, she scrambled to her feet, rubbing at her now throbbing head and turned about towards the hallway to catch Mr. Handelaar at the door.

"Mr. Handelaar!" she exclaimed, her mouth open in surprise, and then to the small bouquet of flowers in his hand, which made her cheeks turn pink, especially when he made a comment about her new flower menagerie. She would have been angry to see him were she not so caught off guard. If anything, she felt down right awkward, ad before she could explain herself, Samuel was charging Ryk's way, swinging his play sword at his legs, whcih got the wolf pup yelling, and that made Dylanna's head ring even more.

"Samuel, please!" she said, and turned with a sigh, wilting a bit defeatedly amongst the chaos of her estate as she turned to Ryk with a frown.
"Can I ask," she began, blinking her eyes with distaste," What brings you to my estate?" But then, catching the flowers and flute, she was reminded of what he said when steppng in. SHe rubbed at her head again and simply stared awkwardly down at the things he held in his hand. Sighing, she gestured around her with a rigid motion, "These.. well er.. please excuse the mess. It seems we came home to... well.... this."

And she sighed again, looking over at Mr. Handelaar, then down to the flowers as she sunk her teeth down into her lower lip.
"Here.. I..er.. guess I could take those." She reached hesitantly towards the items. And then more awkwardly, she said, "Though I don't know where I'd put them I.. perhaps a vase in my room..." Gods.. she just hoped there wasn't any more flowers inside her house before Samuel suddenly began hitting lightly at Mr. Handelaar's legs.

"I cut you! My sword is sharp!" And Samuel continued to playfully attempt to slice up Ryk's legs. "You are an enemy! A wolf thief in the streets! A deadly pirate on the waters!"

"S-Samuel! Please, Mr. Handelaar just brought you a flute. You should't be trying to cut up his legs, now.."s he cleared her throat and took her son by the shoulders as he looked up at Ryk through a mess of brown hair. "You should tell him thank you."

And the boy rubbed at his eyes.
"Thank you." Then turned to look up at his mother. "Can I go back to playing with my sword now, mama? I wasn't done pwayin' with Mister.. Mister.. Hawandaar." AN dhe moved his hands to brush his hair clean out of his face before looking back over at Ryk.

Dylanna sighed, then smiled a bit wickedly.
"Alright, but only if you cut up all of his legs," she said, then eyed Ryk suspiciously. "After all, we need a man around the house to protect us from villains such as those who might step into a house uninvited." And she raised her brows at him as if challenging him to that. He did, after all, come in without even knocking. Door ajar or not.... it was very improper indeed.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

Ryk raised his hands in mock surrender to Sam's wooden sword and called out, "Lo lo! You have caught me! Behold! You have cut me down! Descry my weakness you have assailed me! I submit! O valiant protector Samuel, I could play a tune for you as penance, perchance?"

Ryk reached into his vest and drew out the second flute. He played a quick paced melody that he first heard when he was a boy in Zantaric. He was sure it made mention of drinking and wenching, but as long as it was just a tune he played it could do no harm. He did a little dance he had learned in his life since leaving the hell he was born in, to help amuse Samuel as he played. As he finished, he did a little flourish and a bow.

"I hope that will appease you, o valiant protector Samuel. And maybe with some practice you could play as well as I do someday," Ryk disappeared the flute back into his vest.

"So who sent all this?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Samuel was all starry eyed at the song, and rosy cheeked by Rky's play-acting with him, so for a brief time as Ryk began to converse more seriously with his mother, Samuel was content. But after a time, he broke through their boring conversation and wacked Ryk (a bit harder than intended) on the leg. Dylanna gasped.
"Samuel!" she scolded, and reached down and yanked away his toy. "Please.. why don't you and your wolf pup go to your room, hrm? And take some of your toys with you. You still have to name the pup after all."

And with a pout, the boy asked, "Awww, mama, do I have to?"

She narrowed her gaze on him. "Yes.. and do it now." Her tone was final, and the boy conceded, moving over to the puppy, but soon the wolf was prancing about through hte house while Samuel giggled and played with his toys, rather than gathering them. Dylanna sighed, and turned to Ryk, eyeing him a moment, then looked over at the flowers.

"I don't know.. we came home and they were sort of all here."

Jasper had just finished cleaning the mess as he smiled, "Yes, no name was left, but I let them in. They said they had specific orders to decorate this room with all of the fresh flowers on the carts."

"Yes. well... " Dylanna cleared her throat. "What's done is done, so I guess I'm stuck wiht them." Though she tried to hide her smile, this was.. very awkward as she turned back to Ryk, then narrowed her gaze. "But might I ask what brings you all the way here? Surely you could have given us the flowers and flute at the festival."

Yes,.. being in her home was definitely different grounds for a meeting than right out in public, she wasn't sure how to feel with him just.. in her home..
and there being random flowers, and well, her son and the new wolf pup that was...

"OH MY GOD! SAMUEL! GET THAT DOG OUTSIDE!" for it just had pissed on the floor.

"But mama, it's a wolf-"

"I don't care,just let him out in th eback gardens!" and the boy and pup dashed out the back door.

"Shall I clean that up, Miss Swinden?" Jasper asked.

She groaned through a sigh. "Yes.. please." THen she turned to Ryk and rubbed at her temple. "I guess if you want to come in more, I could offer you a drink." But then paused at the statement and her cheeks turned red. Well.. drinking wouldn't be so bad this time around. It could be tamed in her own estate and she could offer him-
"Tea, that is." Yes.. tea at this hour... would't sound too ridiculous, would it?Even if she wanted some rum - and she rarely ever drank since that day...

Aeytrious

The night was getting on, and Ryk had business to attend to with the Wolves. Of course he couldn't tell Dylanna that, but he hadn't come to stay long, and so he would have to bow out graciously. Hopefully his departure would not offend her, if anything she would probably be relieved, but she could be unpredictable.

"I'm sorry Lanna. Tea would be lovely but it'd disturb my sleep pattern, and I have important business early tomorrow. I really only came to bring little Sam the flute," he gave a small bow and smiled at her, "and I thought it would be inappropriate to not bring a gift for you as well. The tulips do not compare to all of this, but I hope you will enjoy their simple beauty."

"Perhaps another day soon? I bid you good evening lovely Lanna. I look forward to the next time your beauty graces me. Tell Sam I said goodnight would you please."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

visualspice

Relieved, but feeling awkward, Dylanna tried to fight back a smile, but gave a clumsy bow in return.
"No, that is quite alright. The hour is late, indeed." And she showed him to the door. "And the flowers are nice," she found herself saying, her cheeks still pink. "Have a good evening, Mr. Handelaar." And as soon as he was outside, she breathed another sigh of relief against the door.

But now with Handelaar gone... what was she to do with all of these flowers? Either way, there was much work to be done, tomorrow was a busy day, as usual, so she found herself skipping the drink all together and after putting Samuel to bed, she too, put herself to bed for the night, finding her eyes staring at the tulips for the longest time until sleep finally claimed her eyes.

OOC: This thread continues here.