Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

I am the flea you cannot flick! [Aeyt!]

Started by Rhindeer, January 30, 2014, 12:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

Einin always looked forward to her fencing lessons, and that day was no different. They were a much needed break from the toils and stresses of playing at being, well...proper. It was an escape, a moment when she felt like she could truly be herself--which felt so wrong and backwards to her, that she should so often feel like she couldn't be herself in her own home. But that was just her reality, so she clung to these moments when she had them.

And now, it would also be a nice, welcome break from the awkwardness Jarrett had brought into her life. She needed to deal with that, and deal with that fast, but for now...well, now she just needed to relieve some stress while she thought of what the hell she was going to do about that.

With her hair pulled back into a tail and her dress replaced with breeches, tunic, and boots, Owl donned her sword and headed outside into the courtyard. Her father had mentioned that she was getting a new instructor, and she was curious as to who it would be--and hopeful that they wouldn't be as stuffy as her current one. He was a good teacher, true, but sometimes she felt like he was holding back for her sake--which was the exact opposite of what she wanted or needed.

She needed to get better. She needed to learn how to fight like they did on the streets, because that sort of fighting wasn't proper--it was real and dirty, and if she didn't learn...well, she had gotten a taste of what could happen if she didn't, hadn't she?

Walking out to the center of the courtyard, she began her stretches as she waited.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant was wearing his usual boots and gloves, Aestival and Hiemal at his hip. The rest of his usual attire was replaced with brown jerkin over shirt sleeves, and brown breeches to match. He wore a black mask that covered his entire face, with a fine mesh across the eyes. He carried two sabers that he and Einin would be using today, and a mask for the young lady as well.

He couldn't help but admire her body as he approached her doing her stretches. Not just in a sexual way either. She was lithe and limber. Her flexibility and agility were that of a young, active, woman. With practice and skill she could rival him in swordplay, even if she could never match his strength.

When he reached her, he tossed her the mask, and then handed her the new blade she would be using starting today. Ryk had the two sabers commissioned as soon as the decision that he'd tutor Einin was made. He had only received them today. They were perfectly balanced, the pummel weighted exactly for the length and weight of the blades. As he held the wrapped tang in his hand he could barely tell that this was not one of his two magic weapons.

Without a word he waited for Einin to don the mask and as soon as she had assumed the proper stance for the local noble sparring style he began his fierce attack.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin finished up her stretches as her instructor approached and peered at him curiously, disappointed that he was already wearing his mask. She was getting a very no-nonsense vibe from this one, which was good--she was serious about her training!--but...really? No introduction or anything? No hello? Just straight to business?

She caught the mask and tilted her head as though that would help her see through the mesh, then took the sword he offered her and tested the weight and grip. Maybe he was disgruntled about having to teach her or something, assuming she was some high strung noble. Maybe he'd rather be teaching someone else. Or something! Because boy, this was a chilly greeting. But she pushed those thoughts from her mind as she slipped the mask over her head, raised her sword in salute (and marveled at how natural the new sword felt, like an extension of herself), and slid into the proper stance.

No sooner had she done that than she was on the defensive.

Gasping, she parried and retreated, for his attack was already fiercer than that of her old instructor. Damn man had been holding back on her! Barely, she managed to deflect his blade, but she also found it hard to make any forward progress as he kept her on the defensive--and at that rate, she would tire before she ever got on the offensive. Realizing that, she grit her teeth and slapped his sword to the side hard and went for it, lunging forward with a thrust.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Aeytrious

It was obvious to Ryk that her previous teachers, however many there had been, had left Einin with much to learn. Her stance was proper, but her movements were blocky. Where she needed to be like reeds in the wind or a flowing stream, she was more like a fresh foal trying to get its legs under it. He could feel the mental flexibility there under the rigid movements she was making. Even with that natural talent he could feel from her, she would need work to undo the damage the fools before him had caused. At half speed he was easily pushing the young Lady back, and she would tire quickly, trying to keep pace with him. She needed to learn to read the body's movements. That was the purpose of the mask. It would teach her not to rely on reading emotions and expressions. A face could lie to you about a mans next move, the body could not.

Reading the body's movements was something Theodore Wrenthis had always been good at, even as a street rat. So when Einin shifted her weight to start her attack, he knew it was coming long before she even slapped his sword aside. As the thrust came forward, Hiemal was already clear of its scabbard smacking against the blade and turning it aside. Ryk dropped his own saber as he made the block, pivoting as he did so, reaching in to grab Einin's wrist, and pinning her forward foot with his. Pressure in just the right place had her blade dropping to the ground at which point he released her and pulled off his mask.

"Well, I see we have a GREAT deal to work on. It seems your previous tutors were cabbages," Ryk made a bit of a face like something smelled awful. "Half of our time will be dedicated to the formal sword play that is popular at court. The other half will be split between hand to hand combat and what I like to call improvised sword play or dirty fighting. And I will be harder on you than any other student I've ever had."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Whaaat?! He'd drawn a second sword?! By the time Einin saw it, it was too late; her instructor pinned her foot and grabbed her wrist and, with a muffled yelp when he squeezed, the sword dropped from her hand.

Panting from exertion, glaring at him through her mask, Einin rubbed at her wrist and knew, right then and there, that this was the instructor she wanted, needed. Despite the knee-jerk anger that flooded her because he'd cheated, she knew he was it. An instructor that would cheat, that would use trickery and cheap tactics, an instructor that would be hard and brutal. An instructor that would make her angry and frustrated because she had a lot to learn and he wasn't going to baby her. An instructor that--

...An instructor that was Ryk Handelaar?!

AKA Rufus?!

AKA the guy she wanted to beat?!

Einin's mouth dropped open and she froze, bent over in the process of retrieving her saber. She hardly heard what he was saying, or rather, she heard his words, but she wasn't sure they were registering because...because Ryk? Rufus?! This was her instructor?!

She was glad for the mask, because she must have looked like some sort of fish beneath it.

Finally, when she managed to close her mouth, she grabbed the sword and pulled the mask off. And then she just stared at him.

"Are you crazy?" she finally managed to say.

Aeytrious

Sometimes Ryk thought he was crazy. Juggling two identities and keeping a third one, his real one, secret, could take a toll on a man's mind. But he certainly wasn't feeling crazy now. This was easy, simple. It was all memory that had been locked inside his body, his muscles. They responded without thought. Due to the frequency of combat, it had become reflex, completely instinctual. As hectic and crazy as sword play could be, it was pure. Teaching another these skills was less like work and more like art. You became the motions, you felt them through your soul. Ryk was not much for spirituality, but his feelings toward the art of war were comparable.

Einin's reaction was not unexpected, and as amusing as this situation was for him, Ryk always took this sort of thing very seriously. The look he gave her was stern. He glanced around to see if there was anyone in earshot before he spoke.

"I doubt there is a better swordsman in Arca. Perhaps even Serendipity," he bent to retrieve the Saber as he sheathed his long knife. "I am concerned with your safety. Your night activities are dangerous. When a little bird appeared on the scene of robbery, two people died that didn't need to. I'd like to prevent that from happening in the future."

It wasn't meant to be a jab at her, but he expected she would take it that way. That mattered little to him. She needed to learn to protect herself, and he was the best. If someday she surpassed him, then perhaps it would be time to retire. "You want to beat me. I can beat everyone else. Who better to learn from?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin began to pace, hardly able to believe this twist of events. First Jarrett, now Ryk? This was crazy. This was utterly insane. This was madness. Or maybe she was the one going mad?

Ryk's words, however, brought her to an abrupt stop and she looked at him, a flash of wincing pain crossing her expression. It was like a punch to the stomach, that reminder that, yes...she had caused those deaths that night. Those people had died because of her involvement...

She sucked in a breath and crossed her arms over her chest, eyes downcast. "That's not fair," she muttered, rubbing her arm. "I was trying to help them. I thought they were going to be murdered." Then, steeling her resolve, she glared up at him and jabbed a finger at his chest. "If you really want to play that game, no one would have died that night if you hadn't been robbing them! And you ordered that brute on me! That guy was trying to kill me! What was I supposed to do?!"

Realizing her voice had risen in her sudden anger, she winced again and looked around, but they were alone. She lowered her voice again. "I do want to beat you.  So...why are you doing this? Why on earth would you train the person that you know wants to best you?" She raised an eyebrow. "That's not very adversary-like."

Aeytrious

Ryk knew Einin expected snark, sass, and moxie. He was Ryk Handelaar, wealthy merchant after all, and she knew he was also Canis Rufus, the Red Wolf. His trademark, would have been to give a scathing remark. Or perhaps something disarming that he'd follow up with something salacious. Instead, he thought he'd give her stark honesty. It was time to monologue, as all the great villains in tales did.

"I run this city. The rich, the nobles, the guard. They all believe that they control this place, Arca, but I do. Kia's Court is my domain and no other man's. I have plans, I have aspirations. Like every mastermind, I seek greater power, greater control. I will make a great mark and be remembered in legend. But lets be realistic. I am a man. I am not an elf, not a dwarf, not a god. I won't live long by any of their standards. My empire will someday be in someone else's control. And it will likely happen in your lifetime. Maybe your existence will help me keep control that much longer. Perhaps I hope to mold you into the leader that will take my place. Or you could be the balance to the new Red Wolf that will come to take my place. Already I have plans to move on Cerenis. With Kia's Court and Whitesands in my grasp the rest of Serendipity will surely fall to me. I will control all the crime, and all the trade. I will be the most powerful man in the world. It's better that I know the greatest threat to me is you. I don't like surprises."

He pulled his mask back on and assumed the proper sparring stance. "In the mean time, I will teach you to stay alive long enough, that we can see that future together. Now show me all that those fools think they taught you."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, went the old adage. Much of what he said made sense. But that her taking his place was even in that list--even hypothetically!--was crazy. As was him thinking he could control all of Serendipity--or the world! Of course, she really had no idea how far his hand reached or what went on in the criminal underground; she had grown up thinking it was all petty thieves and small gangs of brutes, not vast networks, and certainly not sophisticated networks that had any sort of political sway.

And yet, here he was. The leader of the Soot Wolves and one of the wealthiest merchants about.

She didn't know what to say to that. Any of it.

And didn't know if it was appropriate to feel a flush of pride when he stated, more or less, that she could be his biggest threat. Pride! At being praised by the antagonist!

Oi.

Without a word, she slipped her own mask back on, more determined than ever--and determined to his her blush, because she'd always handled criticism better than praise. The bar had been set and maybe it was strange, but she didn't want to be a disappointment--not just to herself, but to him.

"You don't like surprises? Hmph. That's a shame. I love them," she said, and she had barely assumed her stance before she launched herself at him, flying onto the offensive before he could startle her like last time.

Aeytrious

Ryk stayed on the defensive, he wanted to see what Einin could muster. He did not draw Aestival or Hiemal either, and kept the match to the standard rules of engagement. He did not give ground easily, and counted the times he saw openings to go on the attack. Once again he could see the great potential she held within her. She was fast, and her reflexes were great. She adapted fairly quickly to his defensive moves, as she searched for an opening and tried to create others. Teaching her about telegraphing would have to be the first lesson though, as he could easily read her movements. Once she mastered all the traditional sword stances and techniques, she would easily outmatch any of the other nobles of Kia's Court. None of the tutors her father could have hired would ever have taken a woman seriously though, and her natural talent would never have the chance to blossom. It was a good thing Ryk took it upon himself to offer his expertise to her father. The ease at which he could keep up with her made it simple for him to speak to her as he blocked her advances.

"Your natural talent is abundant," Ryk said to Einin, knocking aside another thrust, "but the first thing you must learn is efficiency of movement. Swings and thrusts that start at the shoulder are stronger, but they are slower and easily read by your opponent. Begin your movements from the elbow or even the wrist. Speed is especially important for a smaller fighter like yourself."

Ryk demonstrated with three quick snaps of his wrist, knocking Einin's saber about easily. Then he returned to his defensive posture to see how quickly she would adapt to this lesson.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

From the elbow or wrist? That went against every instinct Einin had, but as Ryk snapped his blade against her saber without swinging, she saw his point; she couldn't easily predict the direction of his blows, and it struck just as effectively. Hm...

Instead of acknowledging his words with speech, she snapped her blade back against his, moving from the wrist. "Like that?" she asked, and did it twice more on each side of his blade, testing it out. It didn't feel as unnatural as she had expected, and didn't weaken her strikes as much as she'd feared.

"Hm. Interesting! Very well, then, prepare yourself!" And then she went for him, snapping his blade aside to create an opening that she went for.

Aeytrious

Einin could not see the grin spread across Ryk's face as she came at him. She was a quick study, this moment had proved it. Her use of the technique was a bit sloppy, but he was sure she would master it quickly. As she danced toward him, her blade trying to snake its way through his defenses, he found that already he had to step up his game. She was not only quick of mind and body, it seemed she had great endurance as well. Perfect attributes for a swordplay, and for a skilled lover. Ryk could not help but notice that even in her sparring garb, her feminine figure showed through. Einin truly was a young beauty. The mental cataloguing of her attributes as a potential lover brought to mind Dylanna. Why did this young woman make him think of the Lady Swinden. She was the only woman he'd ever loved, but he refused to admit that even to himself. The momentary distraction was enough though, and Einin's blade found its way through to strike a blow to his left shoulder.

The new blade Ryk had given her easily cut through the thin padding at the joint piercing into his flesh. The Ryk mask slipped and he quickly reacted as Rufus would. He dropped his own saber and pivoted, putting his back into Einin's chest. Still in his shoulder, he pulled her sword tip with him as he did. When it snapped lose, it tore the wound worse than he'd have liked, but he was in the heat of the moment, barely feeling it. His heels pressed down on her toes, and he threw his tricep into her masked face knocking her to the ground. As she fell, Ryk pried the blade from her hand and then turned putting the tip to her throat. It all had happened so fast, and as soon as he realized what he had done, his Rufus persona fell away, leaving in its place the man that he hid.

Ryk felt ashamed and appalled at his actions. He dropped Einin's blade by her side and stepped back, only now feeling the pain of the wound. His hand went up to it, clutching it tightly to stanch the bleeding. He reached up and pulled off his mask, he was feeling a bit claustrophobic, and tossed that to the ground as well. Then Ryk did something very unlike himself, he apologized with complete sincerity.

"I'm sorry for that. I don't know what came over me," his words colored with shame, Ryk turned away from the downed Einin. He pulled a kerchief from his pocket and pressed it into the wound. "Excuse me," was all he said as he walked into the garden to find himself.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

It happened so fast that she didn't even realize she'd stabbed him.

Einin only had time to yelp in surprise before, for the second time since she'd met him that fateful night, she found herself knocked onto her back. For several stunned seconds she didn't even register the pain of getting smacked in the face, stomped on the toes, and landing hard on her tail bone--though at least this time the mask, designed for sword practice, absorbed some of the force so her face came out better than that first night.

The same kind of panic that had taken her that first night came flooding back at this familiar turn of events, and she stared down at the blade of her own sword, holding her breath and holding very still. What the...? She looked up at him, stuck somewhere between fear and anger, fear that he'd done this and anger that he'd...done this.

"Gods! What is wrong with--?!"

That was when he dropped her blade, and when he touched his shoulder and she saw the blood that she realized--oh.

Oh.

Still frozen, and surprised at his apology--something she had certainly never gotten from him yet!--she watched as he walked off into the garden. Once he was out of sight, she let out a breath and leaned her head back with a groan, partly out of pain (her tail bone was starting to smart now) and partly out of frustration. She'd stabbed him. She'd actually stabbed him. And she hadn't actually wanted to stab him!

To her surprise, she felt a pang a guilt. Why did everything have to be so confusing! She shouldn't feel guilty about wounding her arch nemesis! Who was trying to train her. To help her.

Gods!

After a few moments of collecting herself and winding down, she climbed to her feet with a grimace and threw her mask down by his. Then, rubbing her tail bone and walking a little stiffly, she set off into the garden after him.

"Uh...Ryk? You still here?"

Aeytrious

Ryk was reeling. What was happening to him? Was it age? Was it this life he pretended to live seeping through to the man beneath? How could he let himself be distracted like that, and to lose control so completely? Dylanna had been on his mind more often after meeting the young Lady Einin. She had the same vibrance, the same stubborn independence. They were both strong and beautiful, two things he valued. It was rare that anyone challenged him, and rarer still that for it to be a woman. She awakened something in him that he could not ignore, and it came attached to memories of the Lady Swinden.

Perhaps teaching this girl the sword was too risky. The popular style in court was vary rigid and structured. It left little room for improvisation, but it would make a good base to build upon. She definitely needed the lessons. He didn't want her to die when he could have done something to improve her ability. For now he'd stick to it.

He sat on a patch of grass by a rose bush and fetched the potion from his belt. He only had the one so just a sip would have to do. The hole in his shoulder stitched itself shut nicely, but much of the tenderness remained. He massaged it, and rotated his arm, exercising the joint. It was best to keep it limber. If he went to easy on it, it would grow stiff, too rough and he could injure himself further. He soon saw Einin headed his way. It was good he had put a lid on his emotions, the mask of his identity back in place. He'd be as smooth as ever, no more mistakes.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

Einin found him sitting on a patch of grass, the scent of roses strong in the air. She paused for a moment, wondering if she should bother him, but the thought didn't last long. Rolling her shoulders back, she strode over to join him.

"Hey," she said as she approached, waving awkwardly. She came to a stop in front of him and folded her arms over her chest to resist the urge to keep rubbing her sore tailbone. "Uh...so..."

She looked off to the side briefly, then back at him and grinned sheepishly. "I finally got you! Haha?" Too soon? She raked a hand through her bangs.

"Look, no hard feelings, alright? We're square here. I got you, you got me back, and I got you worse, so...ugh, what I'm trying to say is I wasn't actually trying to stab my sword-fighting instructor, alright? I still think this is crazy, but if you're gonna insist on doing this, I'm gonna save defeating you for after I've squeezed everything out of you. Also!"

She fixed him with a look then. "When are you gonna teach me how not get tossed down like that?"

Aeytrious

It was much easier for Ryk to maintain his mask of composure when Einin was behaving so awkwardly. As adorable as some men might find it, it simply reminded him of her youth, and that made it easier to take her less seriously. Her scewering him had been mostly due to his own idiocy, and it was a good lesson for her, even if he had been the one on the recieving end of the blade.

"The fault for the blow is not yours," he explained, "I was distracted by my own thoughts. It shows that you can defeat an opponent that can outfight you, if you can outwit or distract him." He rubbed at the shoulder a bit more before rising. "As for teaching you to avoid being thrown about, well that will come naturally, as you learn to read your opponents movements. What I will teach you at that time will be how to reverse the advantage of that maneuver."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

"You really know how to take the wind outta someone's sails, don't you?" Einin said, and flopped down onto the grass near him, cross-legged. She rested her elbow on her knee and propped her chin up on her hand.

"But heeey. Outwitting people by distracting them, huh?" She kicked the bottom of his boot. "So I was distracting you? How?"

It seemed like a good thing to know, so she could duplicate it in the future.

Aeytrious

Ryk's eyebrow climbed at Einin's casual demeanor. How quickly her attitude had changed, treating him now like an old friend, rather than her greatest opposition. She was so damn cute too, budding into a really beautiful woman. He supposed her familiar treatment deserved some honesty, and so he shared his thoughts with her.

"It's not so much what you did as who you are and the person you remind me of," he looked her over, lying comfortably in her masculine cut clothing that did little to hide her form. "You are a beautiful and strong woman, determined and stubborn to make it in a male dominated world. You're quite like someone I once knew. She too is strong and beautiful, and quite stubborn."
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Rhindeer

That was last thing Einin expected. She blinked several times at that, both eyebrows raised.

"Oh..." How was she even supposed to take that? Once again, she floundered mentally at the compliment--no small compliment, either!--as she tried to figure out what to do with it, how to respond. It was so much easier when he was criticizing her! She could handle criticism, even if she might not like it. Strong and beautiful and determined and stubborn? Well, okay, stubborn wasn't so much a complimentary trait, but it didn't cancel out the others.

She rubbed the back of her neck, looking everywhere but at him. "That's, uh...that's...thanks." She cleared her throat and tugged at the front of her sweaty shirt to fan herself. "Should you really be saying things like that to your adversary? Unless you're looking to butter me up and disarm me! Which, by the way, isn't working. I'm wise to you, mister!" Yeah, it was time for a subject change!

"So...? Who was she?"

Aeytrious

"You ask that like she's dead," Ryk said without any humor in his voice, though he did find the question amusing, "the only past tense was in the life of our relationship. She is the only merchant with as many holdings and power as I have. Hers is completely legitimate though. She is honest to a fault, as her father was before her. Your parents probably have dealings with her as well." He laid back on the grass, with his hands under his head like a pillow. It was rare that he let his guard down, but it was safe here. He had a constant patrol on her manse since he followed her home as Owl all those nights ago.

"She's a noble too, like you. Lady Dylanna Swinden. Her father Nammick was an amazing man. He's the only person that's ever figured out who I am, all on his own, and he didn't judge me poorly. Just tried to bring me over to his side, to legitimize me. He tried pretty hard to get Dylanna and I to marry. He said I'd be a great son-in-law," Ryk laughed at the thought, "could you imagine me playing husband and father? Wealthy merchant and filthy rogue are a hard enough combination to maintain. What about you," he rolled to his side to face her, "you're getting to that age when noble women are sold into marriages that benefit their fathers. I think I saved you from one the other night, by distracting that young suitor. Any other prospective husbands your mother is pushing on you?"
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Tags: