Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

On Gun's in SotE

Started by Aeytrious, June 06, 2014, 06:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aeytrious

So here's the thing, I just wanted to point out that there is some shenanigans goin' on with guns. I've been seeing it a lot lately, and wanted to make people aware before it got crazy.

Guns are totally allowed, it's in the site lore. However, it is also in the site lore that we are based in a technological era that is similar to our late 1400's to early 1500's. They had guns, yes, but the most common gun at the time (and the most common gun here on SotE) was the matchlock ignition model. This was a single shot gun that had to be reloaded after each shot. Yes there were models that had a set up with a rotating central mechanism that had multiple touch holes and primer pans, and could be individually packed with a charge and projectile loaded. They were however, invented close to 100 years after the initial invention of the matchlock.

The most advanced gun in SotE, and of the tech era we're based in, is the wheellock. This was the first self-ignition system used in guns, replacing the 'match' that had to remain lit at all times to be ready to fire. It was highly complicated and expensive to make, and never fully replaced the matchlock. Connlaoth is the place you're likely to find these guns, and they are only used by the military (or people with lots of money to burn) due to the price and complexity. The flintlock won't be invented for 100 years from now, and there will be the snaplock, snaphance, and doglock ignition systems before then.

This may be a bummer, yes I agree, I am a fan of the flintlock, and even more so of the percussion ignition system firearms. The solution I figured everyone could get on board with is...

MAGIC!

Any problem you're having can be solved with magic. How's that work? Magic! How'd you survive? Magic! Where'd you get that food and water here in the middle of this barren wasteland? MAGIC!

Magic is my cure all, especially for guns. I just made a cool new magic pistol for my new character. Looks like a wheellock pistol but it's MAGIC! The thing to remember about magic though, is that it always has a price or limit for mortals.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
ArjanDirkElijahGeldGulliusHiram
HerewardKheelanKurohanaLex
MalilaMelyndariaMowellesaQuinnlyn
SehrayanahTiberiusValencia
Ritousaey

Cronowind

I appreciate this post. In my thread I have shops that sell flintlocks matchlocks now. But that is because they share a border with cannoloth and the city that the story is taking place on is above a gold mine. So there is a lot of money flowing around, so I figured basic firearms would be able to be bought.

To be honest, I do not know much of a difference between matchlock and flintlock. Both use gunpowder you have to put in first as far as I know. If you overload the powder the gun has a chance of exploding. It takes 2-3 mintues in combat to reload. Both are horribly inaccurate but do a lot more damage than a regular short bow. (Ignoring regular armor). Granted crossbows are the best of both worlds.

Also pistols that shoot fireballs. It will be a thing.

visualspice

CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Aeytrious

@Cronowind yeah broham. I totally get it. I wasn't sure about what guns SotE had for a long time so I just avoided them. I hadn't really done anything in Connlaoth so I wasn't too familiar with the weapons of the country. But once I started seeing guns I just looked around SotE to learn it, and then used the entranets, wiki's mostly, to learn about gun evolution. What I've heard so far from other people though is that your threads are cool, so I'mma have to check them out. And yeah @visualspice magic guns WOO! :))

Oh and sorry about the subject name change. just thought that the original might not draw in as much attention with its play at humor.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Anadwen

That's a really cool idea, Aeyt! I personally don't like guns, only those huge firearms and stuff like that, and so most likely won't utilize it myself (aw!), as I like sword combat better, but it's definitely a cool idea, and I'd go forth with it!

Magic guns! It sounds awesome. Magic swords are one thing, but magic guns sound like a far more original idea.

And, and, AND you can take it to RotE, too! Let's bring RotE alive!

Aeytrious

I think it's a pretty great idea, though really it's not that original. I just suggested it for all those people that can't live without their guns. I prefer some good martial combat myself.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Anadwen

I'm the swords person here. Swords and martial arts, too. After all, a kick and a slice is so much more good-looking than a few bullets! >:D

Aeytrious

I've noticed some resurgence of guns on SotE and wanted to bump this up so people could be reminded of where we are with non-magic guns.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

Anadwen

really, who needs guns when you can just get a katana? or a longsword? or a crossbow? an ordinary shortbow? a kanabo? a dagger? nunchucks? knives? throwing knives? polearms? spears? staves? halberds? axes? hammers? clubs?

should I go on?

though magic guns... Yeah there's not much to oppose, truly. maybe one day I will have a character that uses a gun... Maybe...
Really just maybe, don't hope for much.

Aeytrious

It's been more than a year on this post, and there are plenty of new people around so I thought I'd give it a bump.
Guild
The Soot Wolves

Characters
Ryk/Theodore/Rufus
Ritousaey

AveryBerry

Hey VOID, if you do make a character that uses a gun, check out the film Equilibrium. It's one of those Syfy channel b-movie types, but they have gun-fu in that. Which is awesome. And also Christian Bale. Also awesome.