Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

When light meets dark (Rhi-Rhi!)

Started by Anonymous, May 09, 2010, 10:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Having two extra mouths to feed was really messing with Doyle's schedule. He was still getting adjusted to how much extra food he needed to barter for and purchase in town. And the fact that Ruben wasn't eating meat made it extra hard to juggle. Most of what Doyle ate was meat and so much of his extra stores were meat. That he couldn't use.

And he really needed to see about getting new clothes. That battle with...whatever that had been had destroyed half his wardrobe in one go. Saving people was starting to get a little expensive. Luckily he had saved up quite a bit from his mercenary days and his dabbling in butchering combined with his generally frugal lifestyle meant he didn't really have much in the way of expenses. So he could easily afford to take care of Ruben and Starfire.

He just wasn't used to spending so much money at once. Frowning, Doyle held the fabric up. He was gonna have to pay to have a shirt made as well, as he could patch simple holes, but a whole shirt was out of his league. "Ya want how much for this again?"

The woman glanced over and sighed, "Same as last time you asked. 3 silver a yard."

It was decent fabric, but nothing real fancy. Doyle just needed a new shirt and pants for every day wear. His current one was all he had left. Besides his one nice outfit, but that was hardly appropriate for wearing about.

Rhindeer

It was a little awkward walking through town in a syrma after going so long without wearing one--especially after spending time among heathens who interpreted exposed flesh far differently from how the Solisi did. Niamh had grown used to traveling clothes and rough living, and it was an effort not to keep checking to make sure she wasn't exposing herself. But the syrma was long enough to touch her knees and her breasts were fully covered, the fabric secure. After all those years, she hadn't forgotten how to tie them.

She had a free moment that day to properly explore La'marri and she was taking full advantage of it. After nearly half a year, how much more had changed?

Not too much.

The market was still busy, and she counted her coin as she walked and planned out how much she was willing to spend. She needed new clothes, having arrived only in her traveling clothes and having nothing else to her name, and while Speaker had provided her this set, she didn't want to inconvenient him too badly or take advantage of his hospitality. He'd already done more that she could have ever asked for.

There was someone selling fabric up ahead and Niamh headed that way. "Three silver a yard," she heard the merchant saying as she approached, and she frowned and looked down at the coing in her hand. Three silver? Really? She puffed out her cheeks and let her breath out slowly. She didn't have three silver. Maybe all these other pieces would add up to three silver, though...no, no, she shouldn't waste her coin. There had to be someone else who had fabric for cheaper. Grumbling to herself, she dropped the coin back into the little coin purse tied at her hip and turned to look elsewhere.

And ended up bumping into a small child with unnaturally colored hair.

"Hey, watch it, lady!" he spat, then shoved past her and took off.

Hmph. Rude little brat. Rolling her eyes, Niamh continued on and dropped her hand instinctively to her purse.

Only to find it gone, the strings cut.

That little shit!

"HEY! Hey, you come back here!" she yelled, spinning on her heel and taking off after him, but he was a fast little sucker and small enough to duck under arms and weave through peoples' legs. He was already back to where that fabric seller was, seeking to lose himself in the crowd beyond. Cursing, Niamh shouldered people out of her way and put on an extra burst of speed, but it wasn't enough. She was losing him.

"Dammit! Someone grab him, you idiots!"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

The commotion attracted Doyle's attention, just in time to see the boy run off and a pale girl take off after him, yelling after him. Sounded like a pickpocket. If there was one thing Doyle couldn't ignore, it was a girl in trouble.

Dropping the fabric, he gave a quick apology to the woman at the stall, then tore off after the boy. The kids strange hair made it easy to spot him in the crowd and Doyle's long legs and supernatural speed helped him close the distance. Dodging through the crowd, Doyle's large form was able to clear himself a path and his hand grabbed the back of the kids shirt, lifting him up enough that the kids feet dangled off the ground, "Now, ya wanna tell me what's going on here?"

Rhindeer

[ooc: okay, just gotta say, your icon is mesmerizing and keeps distracting me, lmao. xD]

"Lemme go! Lemme go! Put me down!" the boy pleaded, flailing and kicking, but his legs only struck air and with his back turned to the man that had him, he couldn't exactly land any punches. "I didn't do nothin'!"

Chest heaving with her breaths, Niamh caught sight of the pair and jogged the rest of the way over, skidding to a halt before the two. The large man gave her pause, but only for a second. She'd spent nearly half a year in Serendipity, and that place was full of strange people. Not to mention the company she had kept...

"Brat stole my money," she snapped, though she didn't really mean to, not at him. She was just angry and out of breath and mildly panicked that she'd almost lost all the money she owned with no reliable way of gaining it back. Walking around to where the kid was dangling, she stood to the side so he couldn't swing out and kick her, hands planted on her hips.

"Thanks for snagging him," she told the man, then turned to fix the boy with a stern glare and held out her hand expectantly. "I'll be taking my purse back, now."

"I didn't take nothin'!" the boy repeated, and tried to twist around so he could peer at Doyle with eyes full of fake tears. "She's th' thief, mister! She's tryin' to bully me! Don't let her take--"

"Oh holy Mother, give it up!" Niamh groaned, palm smacking her face. "Ugh, sir, just...get it back from him already, alright?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Anonymous

[ooc: Isn't it just! I love this thing xD You know me and the mesmerizing icons! I have to lure people into playing with me somehow!]

Doyle was far more inclined to believe the girl had been robbed. She just didn't seem the type and her frantic anger had seemed very real. Keeping his grip on the boy, Doyle was about to demand the kid return the money.

Then it happened.

The kid started tearing up, lip quivering, the whole works.

Doyle's belly clenched and he had to stop himself from just hugging the kid. Doyle really couldn't stand seeing people cry, children and woman especially. He knew the kid was a pickpocket, but guilt still ate at him.

With a sigh, Doyle reached into his own purse, letting the kid down, but still keeping a hold on him, "I'll make ya a deal kid. Give her her purse back, I'll give you enough for a meal and ya wont get turned in for stealin' okay?"

So much for getting a new shirt today. He wasn't going to be able to afford one after getting the kid some money.

Rhindeer

The boy stopped his crying once he was let down and, sniffling and wiping his tears off on the back of his hand, he seemed to consider the man's offer for a moment. He looked back and forth between the two, from Doyle who was proving an easier target to Niamh who was watching him sternly, and with a sigh he reluctantly pulled out Niamh's stolen coin purse and tossed it back to her.

Then he looked up at Doyle with wide, hopeful eyes that were still shining with unshed tears.

Niamh bit her cheek to keep from groaning too loudly. She had to hand it to him, the kid was a pretty good actor, but it was still pretty embarrassing--in a secondhand sorta way--to watch that man get totally suckered.

"Uh...thanks, by the way," she said, tucking her purse away safely. Should she say something? She felt kind of bad (not to mention awkward) standing there and just watching someone get very obviously scammed, but...whatcha gonna do? Especially since watching this whole thing go down was starting to make her feel a little guilty for not giving some urchin money!

Ugh...this place was messed up.

Anonymous

Doyle knew the kid was conning him. He really did. He just couldn't say no to some kid like that. And he really doubted that the kid was stealing because he wanted too. He pulled out some coins and passed them over to the boy. It would be enough to keep him fed and a roof over his head for a while, "There. And don't steal. It ain't healthy and next time, they might not be as nice as I am."

He then ruffled the kids hair and watched the boy dart off into the crowd. With a shake of his head, Doyle turned his attention back to the pale girl he had just helped out. She didn't look like she could have been that much older than the boy! Doyle gave her a small, twisted smile, "Well, looks like ya got yer money back just fine. You alright?"

Rhindeer

Yep. Awkward.

Niamh watched the boy scamper back into the crowd, then turned back to the man when he spoke and rubbed the back of her neck sheepishly. Now that she was closer to her 'hero', and without some brat to distract her, she could get a good look at the man and she blinked several times as she took him. What was it with her and running into tall, scarred, funny-looking guys?

Without even thinking, she scanned the marketplace for escape routes, just in case. It was paranoid of her and she knew it, but lately she felt the butt of some cosmic joke so you could never be too sure. Getting kidnapped twice from busy cities also kind of didn't help. Reining in her paranoia, she snapped her attention back to the man.

"Um...yeah, I'm fine. Hey, listen, thanks for helping, but ah..." Alright, she couldn't help it, it was going to drive her crazy. She heaved a sigh. "You just kinda just got scammed, y'know. Badly."

Anonymous

It was odd the way the girl scanned the crowd. Not with the alerted thoughtlessness of a fighter, it was more the unsubtle scan of the paranoid. She seemed young to have that quality, but he had seen worse.

He gave her a sheepish grin, blushing just a little, "Yeah. I know, but, well...he's just a kid. Probably hungry and well...there are a lot worse ways to lose money than helpin' out a kid." Sure, he wasn't getting a shirt now, but that couldn't be helped. He could wait a while. Hopefully.

He held his hand out to the girl, "'M Doyle, by the way. Can I ask ya for yer name? Not ta be rude, but you don't seem like yer from around here."

Rhindeer

Niamh eyed the man's hand for a second before, finally, grasping it in her own. A man that gave money to the very boy that had stolen from him...that didn't exactly reek of 'murdering psycho', but she still couldn't let go of that part of her that screamed to be careful, that it could be a trick, and that they were in the middle of a marketplace made her feel no better. She had been taken from marketplaces twice before.

Still, the man didn't seem unkind, so she lowered her guard just a little. A year ago and she would have likely refused his hand just by virtue of him being an outsider, but living in Serendipity had forced her to adapt, had softened her prejudices a little.

"Name's Niamh," she introduced, but his next question made her freeze, eyes going wide as a cornered doe's. She quickly withdrew her hand and took a small step back.

"Um, no, I've been here a while..." she said, and gave another glance toward the crowd.  It was a lie; she had only been here since the last night, and it had been nearly a year since she had last been in the Lumenari encampment here. "I'm, uh, I'm with a group, too," she added, as a sort of way of saying, They'd notice if I was gone.

They probably wouldn't; she had been forgiven, but was still unsure of her place. But it didn't hurt.

Doyle wasn't sure what he had done that made the girl pull back, but the fear in her eyes hurt. He moved back, giving her space and doing his best to not seem intimidating. Which was hard when you were 6'4", scarred and built of muscle, but he tried. He hated it when people treated him like he was a monster.

"Oh, well, uh, that's good then." He wanted to say something to calm her down, but he wasn't sure what to say. And the promise he wasn't as scary as he looked didn't seem to work very well. It just made them look at him funny.

"Um....I'm sorry...if...I scared ya any..."

When Doyle backed off and apologized, looking far more hurt than predatory, Niamh felt herself relax and immediately realized that she'd been mistaken. Still, she did not regret erring on the side of caution, and she couldn't help it if that was a question that triggered old memories and a panicked sense of fight or flight. Fortunately, it appeared she would need to do neither.

She ran a hand through her hair and took a deep breath, trying to calm her jumpiness, the way her heart had started to race. "No, it's...it's okay. Sorry, it wasn't really...you." She grimaced as soon as she said it, realizing how that must sound, and threw up her hands in dismissal. "Uh, never mind. It's alright. You didn't scare me," she added, as though to reassure the both of them—because even though it was true, that he had startled her, she'd never admit that she was scared and the suggestion prickled her pride.

Niamh took another deep breath and wiped her palms off on her syrma. Well, now that she'd just gone and made things awkward... "So, uh...do you live here?"

Doyle relaxed slightly; she wasn't scared of him, which was nice to know. But she seemed spooked by something and that bothered Doyle. No matter who it was, he always wanted to ride to their rescue. Find the thing that made her so jumpy and destroy it.

But that wasn't really his place or his business. Doyle firmly reminded himself of that and shoved down his white knight tendencies. He wanted to ask her about it, ask her why she was so scared, but that didn't seem right. He hardly knew her and she hadn't asked or implied she wanted his help.

So he just nodded, giving her a twisted, eerie smile, "Yeah, just down that way," He pointed in the direction of his house, "Just on the edge of town. I've lived here on and off for years now. Do some butcherin' for the town, ya know."

He shifted his weight, feeling awkward, "Ya said ya were with a group yeah? What group is that? Is it with the collage?" He didn't really know many groups that would want to visit here, but he knew Ruben was involved with the collage, so that was as good a place to guess as any as far as Doyle was concerned.

"College?" Niamh shook her head. "No, I'm with the Lumenari. Uh, was with the Lumenari..."

Even though announcing that had brought her bad fortune in the past, she still saw no reason to hide it (especially not here where the Lumenari themselves were stationed), because she felt no shame and hiding it would be a sign of that. She had joined the Lumenari to better serve her Mother, after all...though she had failed, betrayed them, and now no longer knew her place here or whether she even had a place at all. It was doubtful; she may have been absolved, but Dimitri was still angry, and rightfully so, because fault and intent didn't matter—what mattered was what she'd done.

Shifting a little, she brushed imaginary dust off her wrap. "Never really was the scholarly type," she muttered.

Lumenari. Doyle felt like he should know that word. It took him a moment to remember they were the religious group that had moved into the village a year ago. He didn't know much about them besides they had some odd coloring and reminded him of the Essyrni people in how they dressed. He really hadn't had much interaction with them.

"Oh, well, uh...that's uh....good." Was he supposed to congratulate her or express sympathy? He really didn't know and so chose to ignore it. He gave another strange smile at her comment, "Ah, well, me neither. Never had the need, ya know? I don't know how all those types can do all that readin' and writin' and stuff. Seems so boring."

"It's not, really," Niamh said, looking up at him. "Reading and writing, I mean. I wouldn't call it fun, but it comes in handy." She gave a little shrug. She wasn't very good at it; writing a letter took forever, and she was a little slow at reading and processing the words, but she could still write a decently sized letter and read her faith's texts.

"But I guess butchers don't need that stuff. I mean, I only learned so I could read my faith's texts." Because before she had joined the Lumenari she had been interested in working within the church—which she no longer was, but the skill stuck, even if it was horribly rusty from lack of practice.

She glanced around the marketplace again, but this time it was less the nervous, bird-like scouting for predators that it had been previously. Now it was more curious, at ease.  This man still made her a little uneasy—his height, his scars, his looks—but his own awkwardness eased a lot of her own. He seemed...kind enough, and she realized now that his question had just been him making small-talk and her being paranoid.

"So, know anyone who sells weapons around here?"

"Ah, well, I can see that bein' important." Doyle's faith had been passed down orally from his father. There were no texts to read, nothing to memorize. Just the simple knowledge that the gods were there, they loved a good fight, loved a good feast and helped those that helped themselves.

"Weapons? Aye, there is an alright weaponsmith in town. Not the best though. What is it yer looking for?" The small girl didn't really seem much of a fighter, but then, Doyle had learned it was a bad idea to judge books by their covers.

Niamh doubted she had money enough to afford a new bladed spear, and it might be that this weaponsmith didn't even craft any to begin with, but it couldn't hurt to look, and it was possible she may find something more in her price range.

"Just a bladed staff," she said, shifting legs. "Double-bladed, preferably. I used to have one, but I, uh...it got stolen."

And Light, did she miss it. It had been the perfect, balanced weight for her build and the blades had been made from incendia, that precious Solisi metal that burned like fire. She had gotten rather good at wielding it; back home she had been handy with a staff, which she used in her fire dancing, so the learning curve hadn't been too steep. She doubted she'd ever get another one like it, much less one made from incendia; that one had belonged to her father, and he had passed it down to her and had it remade to work for her.

"But a good knife or staff would work just as well."

"Ah. I'm sorry." Doyle frowned, knowing how awful it was to lose that weapon. The one that fit you and molded with you and just worked. It had happened to him and it was always disappointing, "Well, like I said, he ain't great. But I can take ya to him if ya like?"

It was a shame she was so small or Doyle could have offered her one of his own knives, but the handles would be a little big for her.

Niamh brightened a little. "Sure! That'd be great, I mean, if ya don't mind. It's not far off, is it?"

She didn't mind that the weaponsmith wasn't great, whatever that meant. It would do for now, assuming he was within her price range. As long as his weapons were functional and capable of lasting her until she could save up for her dream weapon (or find her lost staff, though that was just a fairytale wish), it was good enough for her. She just wanted to feel safe, and to get back into practice as she was certain that she had grown rusty over all those months.

"How are his prices?"

"Naw, I don't mind at all." Doyle smiled again. As his hope of getting new clothes today was gone, he didn't really need to be hanging around the marketplace anymore. He was going to have to try and get some butchering done soon, maybe while Ruben was asleep.

He started walking in the direction of the smith, "His prices ain't too bad, ya get what ya pay for. Though, don't let him sell ya none of his fancy sh-stuff. It ain't worth the extra money and he ain't the best with the fine details and they'll throw the weapon's balance off."

The forge was located near the edge of the town, one of the only weaponsmiths for miles. There were a few wears on display, though they were to show the smiths skill and most pieces were ordered and custom made.

Niamh raised an eyebrow when Doyle corrected himself. While she didn't swear much herself, save when she was upset or angry, she still found it kind of funny. She'd killed stuff and seen blood and gore and heard her share of cursing, so it wasn't like it offended her. Still, she kept that to herself and only nodded as he gave her the run-down.

"Thanks for the warning," she said, following along beside him and realizing, with a strange pang, how nice it was to just...wander around a village with someone that apparently didn't want anything from her except to help her out. It had been almost a year since she'd last felt that. But if there was one thing she'd learned over that time, it was that not all heathens were bad. Misguided, yes. Wrong and foolish, yes. But not quite the savages she'd been told they were.

"Didn't plan on buying anything fancy, anyway. I just want something that works, yknow?" Though honestly, she didn't really know what she was looking for. Her dagger was just a regular old dagger that fit in her hand perfectly, and the bladed staff had been given to her by her father, who took it to the swordsmith to get customized for her build and strength. She'd had help all those times, and while she could wield such a weapon fine, she wasn't sure how to pick one.

They were nearing the weaponsmith now, and as they did she felt herself growing more and more worried. She didn't want to look like some foolish kid that didn't know a thing about weapons and just wanted one for show. "Hey, Doyle?" she said abruptly, craning her neck to look up at him. "Do you know much about weapons?"

Anonymous

"Weapons? Sure." Doyle nodded, still looking ahead as they walked, "I know plenty. Not much about makin' um or anything. I can field repair most, but, nothin' fancy or anything. What ya wanna know?"

Doyle wasn't much for bragging, but at the same time, he was relatively honest about his own skills. The blacksmith's was almost in sight now and he glanced over at the girl, "You want me to help ya pick one out? I can teach ya what ya wanna be lookin' for in a weapon."

The girl was much smaller than he was, so he would have to guess on what would work best for her. Thanks to his....inhuman strength, Doyle was able to wield heavy weapons with ease, so he liked his weapons strong and sturdy. But that wouldn't work for Niamh. But he could figure it out.

Rhindeer

Before Niamh could answer the question, Doyle answered it for her in the form of a question. She nodded, walking a little faster to keep up with his longer stride. "Yeah, if you could? That'd be great. I mean, I know how to use 'em...or some of 'em. But, uh, my Da helped me out with the picking them out part, so..."

She felt her cheeks flush a little, and unfortunately her skin was so pale there was no hiding it. This was knowledge she probably should have acquired a lot sooner than now, and admittedly she did dislike asking for help. It made her feel silly and helpless when the last thing she ever wanted to experience again was vulnerability.

"Yeah, no worries. It can be really hard ta learn to pick a weapon out. Hell, most people don't really know, they just pick it up and see if it's real unbalanced or not." Doyle politely made no comment on her bright red cheeks. That would just be rude.

Once they arrived at the stall, Doyle gave a small nod to the smith, who was busy hammering a sword, "We're just gonna take a look, yeah?"

The man nodded in return, going back to his sword. Doyle gestured to the rows of weapons lined up, "Now, first thing ya wanna do? See how well the metal in forged..." Going slowly and methodically, Doyle began showing Niamh the correct way to find a good weapon.

Then he started in on how to find the right weapon for her. It took some time to explain it all, but Doyle didn't really have anywhere he had to be and he liked getting to show off his knowledge.

Rhindeer

Niamh soaked up his words, committing them to memory--and she had a rather decent memory if she said so herself. Every now and then she cut in with a question, but for the most part she simply watched and listened. It was all good knowledge, all things she could use, and it felt nice to learn it because the more she knew, the more independent she could be.

When he had finished up explaining how to find a fitting weapon, Niamh stepped over to a quarterstaff she had been eying on and off through the lesson and picked it up, testing its weight and balance. "Hmm...what about this?"

It was just a regular old staff with no blades attached, but it felt comfortable in her grip. "Feels kinda like my staff, only mine was bladed. Think they can do that?" She was no weaponsmith; she just knew how to use it.

Anonymous

Doyle hadn't realized how nice it was to talk about things like this, it had been so long. He didn't really like all the killing that went along with weaponry, but he did like weapons. And getting to share his knowledge of them with someone else was just...fun. And the girl seemed an eager learner.

He studied the staff she had picked, it wasn't a bad one, though the blacksmith was more of a metalsmith than a woodsmith and she could probably find a better one. Probably not in the town though, so he nodded, "That's a good pick. I donno about the blades, ya gotta ask the blacksmith that one. I ain't a forger or nothin', but I'm sure they could."

It turned out it was possible, but it would take a few days and some extra money to make it happen.

Rhindeer

"I'm not gonna be able to afford it today," Niamh said with a disappointed sigh, putting the staff away and already missing how it felt in her hands. She wasn't so sure she'd ever be able to afford that, and she found herself missing her father's weapon more and more. That had been priceless...

But it did raise another concern: money. She had very little in her possession and really needed to find work somewhere.

"Thanks for your help, Doyle. Though I guess it was kinda pointless." She cracked a sheepish grin. "I mean, I hope I didn't just waste your time."

Anonymous

Ah. Doyle watched the joy fade from the girl's face, as she replaced the staff back among the others. He felt bad for her, wanting to bring back that eager, fierce joy she had while holding it, "Well, I got one ya can train with if ya like."

He liked the girl, there was some spark in her that he wanted to see in action. She might be small and delicate looking, but it was easy to see she was a warrior. She deserved a weapon in her hands, "And, well, if ya need some extra money, I run a butcherin' buisness and could use some help if ya don't mind workin' hard."

Rhindeer

That got Niamh to perk back up again.

"Really? Are you offering me a job?" she blurted, moving closer to him. A butchering business? While not her ideal job, and certainly not the most glamorous, it was money, of which she was in dire need. She wasn't really squeamish so she felt she could handle it; she'd butchered chickens for dinner before and knew how to hunt in a pinch. She'd done neither in a long time; maybe with this job she wouldn't even have to. It could just be clean up and stuff.

"I'm used to working hard. If you need a hand, well...heh, I have two." She rubbed the back of her neck. "If you hadn't guessed, yeah, I could really use the extra coin."

Anonymous

"Sounds perfect then." Doyle smiled again, his face twisting unpleasantly with the scars. He didn't really need much help, but he never could say no to someone that needed help. And there was just something sweet about Niamh that made him want to protect her.

He gave her directions to his house, "If ya meet a man pretty enough to be a girl and a sharp tongue, pay him no mind. He's just grumpy and recoverin' from an injury."

Rhindeer

Man pretty enough to be a girl? Living with Doyle? Niamh quirked an eyebrow, but decided not to ask.

"Perfect. Thanks!" she said, committing the information to memory before another thought struck. She paused, peering up at Doyle. "Say, when do you you need me, anyway? Like when's a good day?"

Anonymous

"Well, lemme see...ya got some time day after tomorrow? Got some cattle that gotta get butchered." Doyle had a good deal going with the local farmers to buy their extra livestock and sold it in town.

"Be nice ta have an extra hand around." Might mean he could actually get a store, start selling meat regularly instead on on mostly special orders like he did now.