Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Theoretical Thrones (Open, PM to join) | Wyrdwood Academy

Started by Hope, May 10, 2020, 02:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hope

They stepped into the lecture hall. It was huge, with a podium in the center of the room rather than the conventional placement at the front. Rows upon rows of chairs surrounded the podium, and large screens floated near each wall, meant to reflect and enlarge the image of the lecturing professor.

Jaxius noticed someone near the podium almost immediately. "Professor," he said, a little cautiously.

The man turned, robes swishing. "Ravenor," he said, staring down his nose at the boy's dripping clothes. "Still getting into trouble, I expect."

"Of course, sir," Jax replied, flashing his infamous grin.

The professor's face softened for just a second, showing a brief sign of humor. "And who's this?"

"Ah- of course, my apologies. Laeni, this is Professor Smirnov. He taught my class in my year and is world-renowned at glamour; I expect he'll be teaching in your lectures."

// the professor's an NPC so feel free to interact with him however you'd like

DragonSong

Laeni squeaked and started to duck back behind Jax again before she caught herself--and Rey cut her off, shoving his head into her hip and making her stumble forward again. Her hand flew out automatically to steady herself, catching at her companion's forearm for just a moment before she snatched it back.

"Ah...hello," she mumbled to the professor, eyes downcast. She shuffled her feet awkwardly. "It's, um, it's nice to meet you?"

Hope

He peered down at her, but if he noticed something was amiss, he didn't show it. "I hope you won't be quite as much trouble as Ravenor was back in his day. You're in the new lecture class this year, aren't you? We have quite the lesson planned."

"I was just showing Laeni around her classes," Jax explained to him. "While we're at it, are there any books she should pick up for the lecture class? The library's just the next building over."

The professor rattled off a couple basic textbooks while Laeni looked around, and Jax nodded. "Thank you, sir. Laeni, Rey, you ready to go?"

DragonSong

"Um, y-yes sir." Laeni found herself replying automatically, though she still couldn't quite make herself meet the professor's eyes. "Thank you. I--I'm sure it'll be fascinating."

Her voice had gone soft again, nearly whispering. Behind her legs, Rey rolled his eyes in a surprisingly human gesture.

When Jax spoke up again she started slightly, then gave him a quick nod. "Right. Sure. We, ah, we have to meet up with Brahgo again in a bit, don't we?" She thought they still had quite a bit of time, but she honestly couldn't entirely remember. Everything seemed to be moving simultaneously very fast and at a snail's crawl around her.

Hope

"Yeah, we'll see Brahgo after we pick up your textbooks. I'll see if I can find a few of my extra reading books too. Should be perfect timing." Jax gave the professor a quick salute and they walked out into fresh air.

They headed across a walkway and entered the library. Rows upon rows of bookshelves stretched to the third story ceiling, with platforms at every level. Jax immediately headed towards a shelf, defly running a hand across the neat rows of books and whispering author names under his breath.

glorikat

[ooc: took a few artistic liberties with the library's layout. imagine a three-story building, but the second and third stories aren't fully separate - there's a railing around the middle area that looks on the floors below. if anyone would like me to change this, lmk! also, a hundred apologies for taking forever D: this first post is a bit on the longer side, but the next few will most likely be a bit shorter. Also: eira's bio ]

The air within the library almost seemed rarified, like the still moment between inhaling and exhaling. There was the sort of comfortable quietness to the place, a drowsy quality to the golden sunlight spinning motes of dust within the gilded sunbeams. It gleamed against richly-upholstered but worn chairs, shimmered along the vast expanse of polished wood tables scattered across the library, and spilled in lazy waves over the figure tucked into the battered armchair near a second-story window, glinting on golden strands of hair and ivory-fine fingers as they snapped the book they'd been holding shut.

The young woman stood, long limbs unfolding like the petals of a blooming flower, arms stretching above her head briefly while she surveyed the books strewn across the walnut table she'd claimed for herself. It was the sort of place she liked: set on the opposite wall of the library from the stair that ascended from the lower floor and continued on upwards, but near enough to the balustrade that overlooked the floor below that she could watch as people came and went. It was relatively quiet today, but the young woman had expected nothing less when she'd seen the butter-yellow blaze of sunshine that glowed outside of the window at her back.

Stepping neatly around the edge of the table and depositing the book she'd been holding on the corner, the girl headed back toward the row of shelving she'd been poking through earlier. There was a book there that she thought might be interesting, and she made her way back to it now, one hand trailing along the protective railing that afforded her a view of the inhabitants below. She was quite fond of this school - she'd been warned about the eccentricities to be found here, but so far she'd only discovered a few rather rare manuscripts, several interesting students, and the sense of peace and engagement she'd been seeking all along. She really couldn't see what all the rumors were about concerning Wyrdwood; it had been a pleasurable visit so far, after all, and the library still held many tomes of learning that she had yet to read - including the one that she stretched for now, the tips of her fingers just brushing against the leather binding-

As the girl's hand met the aging leather, a white-hot flare of magic tingled against her fingertips. Acting on instinct more than anything else, she snatched her hand back, flinging herself sideway to press her back against the stacks as the volume she'd touched flew off of the shelf, a gaudy blue cloud of smoke and a bang following behind it as it sailed over the railing to the floor below. Eyes springing wide in shock, she leapt forward, trying to grab the book back before it was out of reach, but just missed, the balustrade catching her neatly in the stomach as she snatched at thin air. Spying the shock of brown hair almost directly underneath the falling book, she ditched all sense of decorum in favor of saving the hapless human. "Hey! Watch out!"

DragonSong

Rey's warning yowl came almost in tandem with the stranger's voice, and Laeni moved on instinct more than anything else, jumping sideways and grabbing for Jax's arm to pull him with her as she did.

"What in all hells--?!" She looked around wildly, caught sight of the book trailing smoke, and her eyes widened. "Um--what?"

Rey growled, hackles raised and the feathery pattern along his spine sticking almost straight up as he prowled a protective circle around his mistress. Golden eyes flickered up to the encircling balcony and he yowled again, sounding almost reproachful.

Hope

Jax stumbled as Laeni dragged him back, craning his head up to see what had caused the book to fall. "What do you think you're doing?!" he called up, annoyed but not particularly panicked as the book hissed and burned.

He turned to address the book. "Leniret temporis ad iram," he crooned gently, and the flames sputtered. "Et cessabit." It smoked as the fires dimmed. "Dormi," he murmured. With a definitive snap, the book's cover closed on the remaining flames, and all that remained of the fire was a puff of smoke. Jax moved away from Laeni and Rey, quietly crooning and humming as he picked up the normal-seeming book. Very, very carefully, he eased a leather strap around the cover. "Dormi," he said one more time, as sternly as he could.

Then he went back to yelling at the girl on the higher platform. "Are you even supposed to be up there!? What were you thinking?! You could've burned down the whole library!"

glorikat

From her vantage point of the second floor of the library, the golden-haired girl watched the two humans and their four-legged companion react to the sudden appearance of the book from on high. As both of the youths craned their heads back to see the tome's erstwhile home, she lifted her hand and gave a brief wave, the gesture an inexplicable cross between impudent and apologetic. "Sorry!" she chirped, already moving away from her former position at the bannister and following the railing along to the curved staircase that would lead her to the floor below.

Descending with the tips of her fingers brushing the top of the bannister, the woman flung herself down the stairs, feet tapping a rapid tattoo against the stone steps. She ducked out of the stairwell a few moments later, bright apples blooming in her cheeks and a chuckle blossoming from her throat. "My apologies! I was thinking that maybe I should have been more careful after the warning that certain items in the school had been enchanted." Her laughter was an arpeggio of self-deprecation, her shoulders hunching up and down with a irreverent flutter. "And not that I think I owe you much of an explanation," Her words were accompanied by a frank up-and-down glance, but swiftly tempered by a smile as her eyes fell on the brilliantly-plumed panther at their side. "I like your friend," Eira told the young woman. "What's her name? Or his!"

DragonSong

Rey growled, hackles starting to rise again, and Laini put her hand between his shoulders to smooth down the ridge of feathers down his spine.  She felt herself bristling at the stranger's casual dismissal of the danger she'd just put them in, but forced herself to take a breath before answering.

"Rey," she murmured. "He's called Rey."

The large cat grumbled and prowled a circle around her legs again, twining around both her and Jax before sitting back on his haunches between them.

Hope

Jax narrowed his eyes as the girl dismissed him with her quick scan. As always whenever he was miffed, a momentary surge of anger boiled through his veins, and he had to resist the temptation to throw a punch. It had gotten him into trouble more than once, especially when the person he'd hit was stronger and more skilled than him.

Rey's warm fur soothed him and he forced himself to relax. "Your thinking was correct. The upper floors of this library are reserved for more... enchanted... books. They're necessary for the higher level classes." He didn't bother to say more, brushing past to put the book back into its proper shelf.

glorikat

If Eira noticed the charged atmosphere around her, she affected not to notice it. Her eyes were bright chips of hazel in her face, warm in a way that freshly-tilled earth is warm under the sun, and brilliantly alive with something like an inner fire. Of course, to most others, she merely seemed like an excitable human, one of those people who live so vibrantly in their skin that it's impossible to hide. Only the sharp angles of her face and the near-predatory gleam of curiosity in her eyes hinted at anything else, as she crouched to be level with the feline and extended her hand slightly from her body, her fingers loosely clenched in an invitation for the animal to catch her scent.

"Well, he's quite a beauty! Where did you get him? I've heard of stories of panthers like him from the Kishahn Jungle, but I haven't been lucky enough to see one - yet." Her adoration of the cat was obvious and almost charming, the way that a young child's is - the delight was so obvious on her face, it was impossible to miss. As one of the supreme predators of the land, of course Eira favored other such animals, but she had a particular fondness for felines that she'd never lost. Perhaps it was because they followed their own hearts and listened to no one as well.

As the young man spoke, Eira let her attention be dragged from Rey, though clearly reluctantly. Straightening up from her position, she watched the dark-haired youth stride off to return the book to its previous home. Forbearing to mention that she had wanted that particular book, she lifted one shoulder in a rueful gesture at his departing back and cast her eyes to the girl beside her. "That may have been my mistake, really," she confided, speaking conversationally to her but with a tone that was just loud enough for the young man to hear if he particularly cared. "I was expecting books with enchantments placed by original owners themselves, but they did warn me that the students at this school were fond of... ah, pranks, to put it politely. I won't make the same mistake again." There was a cheery sort of ruefulness in her voice, enhanced by the insouciant expression on her face. "Speaking of students, you two must be the only two I've seen in here all day. I'm surprised you both aren't outside enjoying the weather." The words weren't particularly inflected either way - it could be either a statement or a question, depending on how one chose to take it, and therefore let them both decide how they would answer, if at all.

[ooc: I'm not really sure where else to go from here with Eira, so I left it open in case you guys want to move on past her and I can bop back out if you want]

DragonSong

Utterly baffled, Laeni glanced after Jax again and started to sort of shuffle along behind him, one hand laying between Rey's shoulder blades while the large cat twined back and forth in front of her.

"I--I didn't get him, he...found me. In the jungle," she answered an impulse, stuttering a little. She looked to Jax again, entirely unsure how she should be handling the situation, before saying, "We, um...we're just...Jax was showing me around?"

Hope

"Getting some books for new classes," Jax offered as he slid the book safely back into its shelf. "If you're looking for more enchanted books, I'd recommend the ones by Alessandria de Vrie. They'll contain any information or lore you may be interested in, and... safer... enchantments are placed on them than on textbooks by Filson."

He returned the book that had burst into flames and bustled about a bit more, picking up some more books for Laeni. "Well, we're on our way to meet up with someone." He did not extend an invitation to Eira, but did not particularly try to stop her if she chose to tag along.

As they exited the library, the sun was high and glinting off of glass windows. Students were strewn around the rolling hills and meadows, trays or bagged lunches in hand as they discussed their classes and interests. Jaxius led the way to the wooden bench where he and Brahgo usually met up between classes. It sat in front of a wide, open meadow on the edge of the school's property.