Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

As Above, So Below [Blue!!]

Started by DragonSong, March 18, 2023, 06:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

"I..." Aya gaped at him. "I burned your eyes?" She winced, immediately regretting the minor increase in the volume of her voice. Loretta started to reach for her seemingly on instinct, then forced herself to draw up short.

Aya blinked and shook her head slowly, trying to reorient herself to the new sensitivity of her hearing. "I'm...sorry..."

"Oh, sweetheart." Loretta kept her voice low, barely more than a whisper. Aya looked to her, a hint of clarity returning to her eyes.

"What..." She glanced at where her ring had rolled under the table, then back to her mother. "Why?"

Loretta sighed, pressing one hand to her mouth for a moment before she let it drop. Then she got slowly to her feet and said quietly, "I'll make some tea. This may...take a while."

As she moved to put the kettle over the fire, she looked at Pyr, evaluating. Eventually, she told him evenly, "If you so much as move to harm her, I will cut you into pieces and scatter them across the continent."

Aya blinked at that, still on the floor but ever-so-slowly feeling something like a semblance of normalcy return to her body. Well, not normalcy exactly. More like adjustment. "Mum, he's...a friend."

Which...maybe shouldn't have rung true, but it did. She'd only known the demon for a handful of hours, but...it was hard to feel the kind of security and care that his power cradling hers provided and not feel some sort of connection. So until she had a better word for whatever he had so suddenly become to her, she was going to go with "friend".

Blue

"Apology accepted. There was no lasting damage, in any case."
He watched Aya as was his way, noting the changes externally as he monitored the power settling within her. At this rate, she'd be acclimated sooner rather than later.

The threat leveled at him calmly had him turning toward Loretta, face impassive as ever.
"I'm sure you will try. I will endeavor not to give you reason to."
Her protective instincts were to be expected, and while they would likely be futile, he still appreciated the sentiment. Parental care was unfamiliar to him, but it had quickly become one of his favorite observational topics.
Besides, even though she would likely not believe him, he genuinely did not wish to harm anyone in this realm if he could help it.

Aya's declaration of friendship actually caused Pyr to blink twice at her. Rarely did mortals extend such a title to him! Of course, despite being incredibly pleased, his face and voice remained as flat as ever.
"I am honored. Do you require assistance?"
He extended a hand to his still floor-bound 'friend'. It would likely be preferable for her to sit at the table while her mother served tea and explained herself, after all.

CRACK

One of the ceiling beams gave out abruptly right above Pyr, the broken end crashing directly into the top of his head. For a moment it balanced there as plaster clattered to the floor.
"Ah."
The large beam wobbled, groaned, and slipped free - only to be caught easily with his other hand before it could potentially land on Aya. Blinking with eyelashes full of dust, Pyr glanced up at the ruined section of ceiling. Well, it had been quite awhile since the stable incident...

DragonSong

Aya gave him her best attempt in her current state at a grateful smile, cautiously reaching up when he extended his hand. "Yeah," she murmured. "Thanks."

She saw the beam wobble, heard it creaking, but she was still so unused to her newly super-powered senses that at first she assumed it was something normal, just the house settling the way it did as evening came and the temperature dropped. It wasn't until the gunshot CRACK that she realized something might actually be wrong.

Unfortunately, the crack itself had momentarily incapacitated her. She cried out, clapping her hands over her ears and curling back in on herself. She'd barely recovered enough to even notice that she was in danger before Pyr had caught the beam.

Loretta had lunged forward when the beam fell, but with Pyr holding it out of the way there wasn't actually much for her to do.

"Oh my gods," she muttered, looking up at the new hole in her ceiling. "That...I know it's an old house, but..." She looked from the demon to her daughter and back. "Are you...both...alright?"

She still didn't trust Pyr but...Aya had said he was a friend. And despite her daughter's youth, Loretta had only ever known her to have an impeccable judge of character. Maybe that extended to demons too.

Blue

Not that Pyr would have noticed or mentioned it anyway, but the literal dent in his skull from the beam was already mostly healed by the time Loretta asked after him.
"I am alright. Ah, one moment."
Standing there and holding the ceiling up was not the best use of his time, and so he once again exerted a bit of his power to return the beam to its proper place. Between one moment and the next, the ceiling was again whole, no plaster on the floor or dust in Pyr's hair - it was as if the mishap had never occurred at all.

With both the beam and Aya taken care of, thus freeing up both of his hands, Pyr turned and took the few long-legged steps necessary to reach the seat by the fire he had folded himself into earlier that evening. Picking it up carefully, he carried it to the table and set it down at one of the free sides, leaving the two other chairs open for the ladies of the household.

Once seated, hands again folded, he looked up at Loretta patiently.
"I believe you said it was time for tea?"

DragonSong

Both Loretta and Aya watched him amble over to adjust the position of his chair and take a seat, apparently neither able to come up with something to say to that casual display of power--despite the fact that Aya had seen it herself earlier when he fixed the feed shed.

Then Loretta gave herself a little shake and nodded. "Right. I did say that, didn't I?" she murmured. She cast her daughter a concerned look, but Aya had managed to stagger over to her own chair at the table and gingerly lowered herself into it. Letting out a careful breath between slightly pursed lips, Loretta finally moved to set three cups on the table, sprinkling tea leaves on the bottom while she waited for the water to heat.

"Let me just...let Vitala know what's going on," she murmured, starting to reach out as though to touch Aya's hand before catching herself and drawing her hand back. Glancing sidelong at Pyr, she elaborated, with a hint of reluctance, "My dragon partner. He...knows the story. I'm just asking him to give me some time to...explain things."

She closed her eyes, connecting with her dragon, while Aya stared at her incredulously.

"Vitala knows?" For the first time since she'd taken off the ring, she started to feel something that wasn't pain or panic: anger. "Who--am I the only one who doesn't know what's going on right now?" she demanded. She wanted to yell, but it was too much effort. And it still hurt her ears.

Loretta winced, though she kept her eyes closed until she'd finished her conversation with her dragon. Then she sighed and opened them slowly.

"...Your uncle and Kimiko know, too," she admitted, and Aya wanted to hit something.

"What the fuck is happening to me?"

Loretta glanced at Pyr again rather than answer directly. "You know, don't you?" she asked softly. "How much did you tell her?"

Blue

Pyr looked into his cup at the tea leaves curiously, eager to watch it steep once the water was done. Mortals truly had the most fascinating ways of consuming the nutrients they needed! Who ever conceived of putting dried leaves in hot water for a beverage?

He shifted his attention back to the ladies when he felt the distant hum of magic - ah, communicating with her dragon. He had been quite interested in observing more of this bond common in Adela, though dragons and warriors alike were more wary than the average person. Alas, maybe one day - perhaps even Aya's mother herself, should she ever see him as less than a threat.

If nothing else, the woman had a habit of asking him questions he did not anticipate. He blinked at her once, before choosing his words.
"As I do not know the truth, there was nothing for me to tell. I pointed out the nature of the ring, as I was intrigued by the intricacy of the spell, but I did not understand the nature of the power it held at bay until it was released."
That blue eye shifted to Aya then, as he continued to her directly.
"All that I know is that the power is angelic. I could guess a great many things about it, but I too would like to know the truth of this. Ah-"

He turned to Loretta again, having realized all the distractions of before did not allow them to finish something quite important in the interactions between mortals.
"We did not complete our exchange of greetings. I await your name and salutation."

DragonSong

Aya's eyes had widened at the word "angelic", but he just moved right along, asking for her mother's introduction, before she could even begin to process that.

"Ah. Of course." To her credit, though she did look slightly taken aback by his manner, Loretta rallied quickly and nodded at him curtly. "I am Lieutenant Loretta Almarin of the Fifth Wing Cohort. It is..." She seemed to cast about for a word for a moment, then settled on, "Interesting to meet you."

Looking back to Aya, and the hundreds of questions plainly racing across her face, she sighed and wrapped her hands around her tea cup. "Let me...tell you about how I met your father."

She explained the story quietly, mostly staring into her tea: how she had found a wounded Samuel, helped him to recover, fallen in love. How they had lived together quite happily for a while. How her pregnancy had been unexpected, but a joy to share with her love. How Samuel had finally told her the full truth of what he was, and how that put their unborn baby in danger. How he convinced her to let him leave.

"You see, the ring..." Loretta sighed. "It was meant to protect you. The longer we could keep your powers at bay, the longer you would be safe from..." Her eyes flickered toward Pyr, then away again. "From whoever they would have sent after you."

Aya was mute, staring down at the pattern of wood grain in the table. Over the course of her mother's tale she had become...not exactly comfortable with her new state of being, but certainly it felt much more manageable. The only outwardly visible sign of her power's manifestation was now a new light behind her eyes, turning the soft violet to a flickering ember for moments at a time.

"...Why didn't you tell me?"

Her mother sighed. "Samuel...he told me to keep you ignorant of your power for as long as I could. Simply sealing them was only part of it--if you didn't know about them, they would be less likely to try to manifest themselves." She sighed again. "At least, that was how he explained it to me."

Blue

Pyr listened just as intently as Aya likely did, though purely out of curiosity in his case. There were a number of reasons he could have come up with to explain her powers, as with all things there was rarely only one possibility. In this case, it was perhaps the most obvious answer if one remembered how mortals most often connected using their bodies, due to how they reproduced.
Still, even the most straightforward answer was incredibly interesting! Such a combination did not often produce a viable embryo, and there were a host of possible complications during and after pregnancy that could terminate a human child burdened with angelic blood. Angels were not, after all, meant for reproducing in this way - truly, it was more accurate to say they could not unless they had 'fallen' as this one had.

Cutting through the strained atmosphere with all the grace of one who literally did not realize it was there, Pyr's smooth monotone interrupted any further conversation between mother and daughter.
"A Nephilim then? Fascinating. You specifically seem to regard Samuel as a 'fallen angel' but not a 'demon', so I am curious to know if he lost his 'wings'? Did he still have his µӘ¿æ?"
The sound that came out of the demon's mouth was...impossible, in essence. Loretta might have heard something that sounded a bit like a dial-up tone, not that any in this realm would know what that was. Aya might have heard something more like notes, a wordless tune echoed in birdsong voices and the reverberating crack of glacial ice.

"Ah. I see that is not permitted. Hmm, perhaps...a 'halo'? Ah, very good. Yes, was he missing his 'wings' or 'halo'? It is possible he simply fell from Grace, which is different from being truly Fallen."

DragonSong

Loretta blinked at the sound that came from his mouth, while Aya shook her head, wondering briefly if this was another quirk of her new senses.

"He--ah, no, I don't believe so," Loretta answered after a few moments. "That is...I only saw his wings once, when he...told me what he was. They seemed intact." She paused a moment, then added, "Though I cannot see the metaphysical aspect that angelic wings have, so it is possible they were damaged in a way I couldn't see."

Aya's turn to blink as she looked at her mother. Ah. Now her mother's odd "hobby" of studying the occult made a lot more sense. She vaguely wondered if she'd gathered most of this knowledge before or after Samuel left.

Samuel. A fallen angel. Her father.

Not noticing the way her daughter had retreated into herself a bit, Loretta continued, "He told me he was...spared, I suppose. From total destruction. For many centuries of service to his god--he either couldn't or wouldn't tell me which god--rather than be destroyed or...corrupted, I suppose, he was exiled. Cast into our world with only a fraction of the power he once had."

"Did..." Aya wet her lips. "Did he ever tell you why?"

Loretta looked down sadly and replied, voice soft, "Only that he was given an order he chose not to follow. He never gave me details, but...I rather assumed it was something quite awful. A massacre of some kind."

Aya shuddered, then groaned, dropping her head forward into her hands. Her breathing was starting to come fast again, shoulders jittering. Loretta started to reach across the table for her, worry painting her expression.

"Sweetheart?"

Aya flinched back from her so hard that her chair screeched across the floor. She stood, taking a few stumbling steps back from the table. "This--this can't be real," she muttered, shaking her head like a horse trying to rid itself of a fly. "This can't be real."

Blue

So very fascinating. So he had simply been cast from Grace, which is what Pyr would have assumed given what he'd heard thus far. Whether that was a fate better or worse than being truly Fallen...he could not say. He was too far removed from what he had once been, too long as he was now, to make any sort of accurate comparison.
No matter. More prevalent was the fact the father had chosen to leave, that they had chosen to hide the truth. It seemed quite possible that with Aya's powers now manifest, she was going to attract some manner of danger - angelic in nature, Pyr could only assume.

The chair rattled as Aya shoved from the table, Pyr instinctively soothing the ripple of power as it responded to her spiking emotions. He tilted his head as she spoke, watching as she seemed to try and shake free the very truth she had been told.
"It cannot? What a strange thing to say. Ah, is this perhaps a struggle in accepting a great shift in understanding? I suppose you have been fairly overburdened recently..."
Slowly, Pyr reached up to place a finger against his chin, blue eye still pinned to his distressed friend. How troublesome...he would like to help, but it was not as though it would do Aya any good to remove her memories of this encounter. What was done could not so easily be undone - the power was manifest, the bloom of her very soul, and he would not be the one to attempt to pluck it.

"Loretta, you seem to be under the impression - you and Samuel both - that Aya would be in danger should she come into the truth of herself. I should like to know what the plan is for this inevitability? What are the next steps?"
Despite the bluntness of his words, he was again genuinely asking rather than trying to censure Aya's mother. That there may not be a contingency plan in place had yet to even occur to him.

At the same time, for the sake of efficiency in what was a rather delicate situation, Pyr was again speaking directly to Aya's mind.
"What can I do to assist you in accepting your new reality? Which part stymies you so? If you require further clarifications or information, I would be glad to provide as much as I am able. All of this may be new to you now, but it has always been your truth."

DragonSong

"I--" Aya was so overwhelmed that she answered him aloud, unthinking. "I can't--I need--"

She abruptly turned and fled to the back of the house, through the slim door that she had tossed her clutter into earlier. The click of the door behind her wasn't overly loud, but it was certainly very final.

Loretta watched her go with an expression that said this behavior wasn't unexpected, even if it wrenched her heart. "She'll need some time," she murmured, though whether that was to herself or to Pyr wasn't entirely clear. She exhaled a heavy breath and dragged one hand down her face before taking a small sip of her tea. "She'll never forgive me for this," she all but whispered. "I can't expect her to forgive me for this..."

There was a long moment of quiet, then she gave herself a little shake and looked up at Pyr properly. "To answer your question--and yes, Aya, I know you can still hear us. You don't have to say anything to me, but you should know this, too," she added, tilting her head just slightly toward her daughter's bedroom door.

There was no response, save for a tiny pulse of gold-tinged power against that cradle that Pyr had established around Aya.

Loretta continued, "We knew we couldn't keep her power secret forever, but...Samuel was never meant to have children. Her very existence is a crime to his people, and yet she is--or will be--more powerful than her father." She sighed and looked down at her tea. "He explained it to me that...well, essentially, even though his powers were reduced when he was cast out, the entirety of them would have been passed on to Aya--albeit somewhat tempered by her human parentage. Nephilim are rare, and one like her even more so. We thought...if we could find someone to teach her, train her to control it...she may be able to keep herself safe, when hiding her no longer worked."

Another quiet sigh and she shook her head. "I've spent the better part of two decades looking for someone who could handle that task. There are schools in Serendipity, some of them capable of great feats of magic--but it isn't the same thing." She glanced at Pyr. "As I'm sure you know. They just aren't equipped for such a task."

Blue

Pyr watched Aya flee, bemused at the behavior, but he could only defer to Loretta's greater experience and knowledge in the matter of her daughter's needs. Time it was then - he supposed there was nothing so pressing he couldn't simply tell her later after all.

He turned the full of his outward attention to the mortal still in his presence, curious to know what her answer would be to his question. When he finally received it, his head tilted slowly as he pondered it. More bits of knowledge to be filed away, fitting together to form a larger picture even if incomplete. It took him a moment to fully consider his words before he addressed things one by one in that smooth, unchanging voice of his.

"It is true she may not forgive you - children rarely have the luxury of choice in their own creation. The circumstances she now has are entirely based upon the decisions you and Samuel made, though I would say that of the two of you Samuel earns the larger burden of responsibility. He knew of himself, he knew of his situation, he knew of the danger. You did not, until he saw fit to tell you. It was an unwise decision, but I lack any true understanding of siring offspring, so I cannot say I know what might have tipped the scales against all the dangers and risks. I must say I am most confused by Samuel's choices in all of what you have told me - he is the Angel, the point from whence all this originates, and yet he is not here. Why leave the human parent to watch over the Nephilim offspring? Why expect the human parent to find a suitable mentor? If I understand what's been left unsaid, it does not seem that you expect Samuel to return, correct? I cannot understand this choice. Who else could be expected to teach his offspring? Angels, like demons, largely reside in other realms and do not often cross over without cause to do so. Unlike demons, angels do not have an established means of summoning - they are sent rather than called after all. Finding an angel who has fallen from Grace, like Samuel, would be even less realistic as they are likely to be actively hiding their presence."

He paused there, blinking slowly as he rolled the situation over in his mind. He should really like to know what Samuel the angel was thinking - had he simply panicked? Was that likely for an angel without grace but not yet Fallen? He did not have enough information, so many missing pieces, it was becoming quite the engaging puzzle box.
"For all that, the only other beings who understand angelic power are demons - specifically the Fallen ones. For a mortal such as yourself, the most feasible solution would be to forge a Contract with one such High Demon."

DragonSong

"No." Loretta looked away, lips pursed. Like her daughter, she seemed to be growing used to taking Pyr's bluntness in stride, but she still didn't look exactly comfortable to be discussing this particular topic. Sighing, she took another sip of her tea and seemed to be considering for she continued, "No, he's...not coming back. And--" She paused, frowned, then went on: "Yes, I suppose the burden of blame--if there is any to be had--would lie with him. But... He didn't actually know he was capable of siring a child with a mortal. And yes, I was angry with him for keeping the truth of his nature from me, but...as he explained it, he thought he was protecting me. As I said, knowledge of angelic nature can be just as dangerous as the power that nature entails. I think he would have told me anyway, in his own time, but then I was pregnant and..."

She sighed again and placed her cup on the table. "He feared that his--his people, I suppose, his old cohort, would be keeping tabs on him. We were only together a year before he left--not so long, in the grand scheme of things, and he hadn't felt the power of his god seeking him. But he worried that if he stayed, and they did check in on him..."

Her eyes flicked toward Aya's door. "He should have been destroyed for his disobedience. If they learned that his bloodline had carried on--well."

She finally looked back to Pyr, meeting his eyes--or, eye--properly for perhaps the first time. "But with Aya's powers manifested so suddenly...you may be right. Her father would be the only one who could properly teach her. Or--or a High Demon..."

Blue

"Mm, your reaction was reasonable. His initial assumption was reasonable as well. Angels are not capable of sexual reproduction, as a general rule. Explaining the specifics is likely not permitted, so the simplest reason is that they are not made to do so. Angels are not naturally in a human-like form - this is a shape they often take in order to be more easily perceived by mortals, something their minds will easily understand and interface with. I have done the same with my own frame, for example. Now, while it is true that knowledge is dangerous, I believe ignorance is the other edge of that blade. I imagine his fear superseded his good sense, thus leaving you with a lesser plan of action than would have been ideal. This too is not unreasonable - it is a simple thing for a God to snuff out mortal lives, and Gods are nothing if not fickle, which is a fact he would have well known. Aya's existence is in danger not due to taboo, but because she is an unpredictable variable with unchecked power - it is simply unwise to leave her be."

He watched Loretta, unblinking, for another moment. If one watched him in return, it would become suddenly apparent that he was still - still in a way that living things normally were not.
Well, as it happened Pyr did often forget mundane things like breathing but this body was far removed from his true self so he should be given credit for only having some uncanniness.
"I imagine you are wary of the concept of demonic summoning, but you could call me an expert in this field. Before moving forward, I recommend you plan out what exactly you wish to ask for. Well, what Aya wishes for truly. Is it a mentor you require, to learn how to wield the powers? A more permanent spell to hide them away again? To remove the angelic essence entirely? To track and find Samuel? To hide from the gaze of Samuel's particular God? There are many ways in which you may approach this problem, many solutions you could choose. I recommend you consider your options carefully."

DragonSong

"...What about you?"

Loretta started slightly, jerking her head around to see Aya standing in the doorway to her room. Her eyes were red-rimmed and puffy--she'd clearly been crying--but her voice was steady enough as she looked between her mother and the demon and pointed out, "I mean...you're a High Demon, aren't you? Couldn't she make a Contract with you?"

"I'm..." Loretta glanced at Pyr and said delicately. "I'm...not sure if that's such a good idea..."

"Yeah, well, neither was fucking an angel," Aya snapped, and then both women immediately winced. Aya rubbed at her temples--she felt like she had something of a handle on her new senses, but the overstimulation had given her a terrible headache--and muttered, "I--I'm sorry, Mum."

"...I know, sweetheart." Loretta looked at her sorrowfully. "You have every right to be angry."

"But Pyr has a point," the nephilim continued a little more carefully. "Unless we could get in contact with an angelic power--and aside from that being next to impossible, you're already pointed out why it's not a good idea--a High Demon would be the most knowledgeable party." She look at Pyr as though for confirmation. "Right?"

Blue

Pyr actually shifted in his seat, as though uncomfortable, a rare outward display for him. His face was still a blank mask, but his gaze was fixed on the newly re-emerged Aya.
Despite being prompted for a response, the High-Demon in question remained silent for a very long moment indeed, perfectly still.

Finally, long after the pause had become socially uncomfortable, Pyr stirred and flicked his gaze down to his folded hands.
"Your mother is...correct in saying that it would not be...wise. I understand that being bestowed the title of friendship indicates a certain expectation of support and aid, and I do genuinely wish to help you. However, I am...concerned about the logistics of forging a Contract with one such as myself."
Pyr's gaze flicked away from them both, and one of his fingers tapped the table once - for him, this was practically squirming. Frankly he was feeling a bit embarrassed about all this, despite being generally committed to stating things as they are - which he still was, of course, just...

"I am a Fallen one, this is correct. But I am...in the highest tier of power. For my realm, there are no demons that rank above me. It is lucky that I am already manifested in this realm, as it would be effectively impossible for either of you to manage the power needed for the summoning alone, but the Contract itself poses a problem still. Contracts are built upon equivalent exchange - both parties give and receive something of equal value. That said, every being has a different perception of what has 'value'. I am...concerned that you will not be able to offer me something of equivalent value to Aya's life, or safety. Our negotiations will be quite difficult."

DragonSong

"What if...I made the Contract?"

"No." Loretta was on her feet in an instant, her whole body held carefully still, taut, a drawn bowstring ready to fire. The only change in her expression was a sudden fierceness in her eyes. "No, Aya, you can't."

"Why not?" The younger woman looked between the two of them. "It's my life, isn't it? Shouldn't I be the one to decide what it's worth?"

Loretta's mouth drew into a tight line. "Sweetheart, it's...it's not that simple. It's never that simple, we're--we're talking about powers beyond mortal understanding--"

"But I'm not precisely mortal. Am I?" She looked to Pyr, as though the question was for him as well. "You said equivalent exchange, right? If it's my life, my--my safety, or whatever, that's tipping one side of the scale, shouldn't I be the one to decide what goes on the other end?"

Blue

Pyr expelled a long gust of air from his nose, like he might actually be sighing. Not in frustration, but rather he felt somewhat resigned.
"Yes, what you say is true. Quite frankly though, I do believe you will both need to sign the Contract."

He finally looked at them again, observing them together, mother and daughter side-by-side.
"So long as you both are able to agree to what - specifically - you will be requesting from the Contract, you will be able to shoulder the payment together. This will make it at least somewhat more likely that you will be able to offset the cost of this. Please be in accord with each other on this first, take what time you need to do so. The forging of a Contract begins with the negotiations - neither side will be permitted to back out until a Contract is made, not without incurring penalties. I must stress again that you both need to be certain of what you want and how willing you are to get it before you agree."

DragonSong

"Aya, please." Loretta crossed to take her daughter's hands, though she stepped back quickly when Aya flinched at the contact. "Please, think about this for a moment. You heard what he said--if you do this, there's no undoing it."

Aya released a sharp breath of her own, spreading her hands out helplessly. "What else can we do? Locking my powers away again is a no-go, we just don't have the means. And without--without my father to teach me..."

"But what if we could find him?" Spinning suddenly on Pyr, Loretta demanded, "Blood calls to blood, yes? Or essence to essence, in this case. There has to be a way to track him down, now that Aya's powers have manifested. There are plenty of tracking spells that operate on the basis of like calling to like--even if we used that principle very basically, how many angels could there be on our plane?"

Blue

"Yes, that is a concept on which spells can be built. Depending on the various factors involved, the spell itself will vary in complexity. Blood versus essence, range, sensitivity, accounting for Samuel actively masking himself and in what manner he has done so - there are many elements to account for, but it is not impossible."

He was again back to his seemingly unflappable self, poised and calm at the table.
"As I mentioned before, there are many options you might consider in approaching this problem. There is no one solution."