Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

The lioness and the leopard. [Open!]

Started by Rhindeer, March 07, 2014, 10:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhindeer

To Yasmin's ears, the world went deathly silent when the leopard tackled her to the moist sands.

It was like this whenever things got bad. The world swam out of focus, the background noise melted away, and suddenly it was just her and her opponent, the here and the now. Everything else ceased to exist as her own world narrowed and focused to a single point, and she moved without thinking, through sheer instinct.

She was aware of the leopard's hot breath against her face, of its gripping claws digging into her shoulders like sharp, searing sparks of flame, of its wet, gleaming fangs flashing as it prepared to tear out her throat.

And then she was aware of her own arms moving, of her slippery hands twisting her sword in her grip, angling the blade upward. The leopard went for her, and she thrust up.

The world swam back into noisy focus and sped up to proper speed again as her sword slid up through the leopard's jaw and up into its skull. With a grunt, she gave the blade a sharp twist to be sure, and the leopard shuddered once before going very still.

Which, of course, meant its full weight collapsed onto her.

Leopards weren't very big as far as large cats went, but exhausted as she was right then, it felt like a lot. Heaving a breath, Yasmin shoved the dead animal off of her to the roaring applause of the crowd. She climbed to her feet shakily and planted her sandal-clad foot on the leopard so she could wrench her sword out of it. Then, with a wide grin up at the crowd, she saluted with her sword and took a bow, turning to face all sides of the Colosseum and even blowing kisses to some of the spectators.

"Thank you, all!" she called, still beaming. "It was a pleasure having you all here! Watching me, yet again, slay some cornered cat! Yay! I know how exciting that is! Apparently! Because blood and death! How exhilarating! Whoo!"

Not that they could hear her. Certainly not over all the noise.

She gave a final bow and then turned to limp out of the arena where several men, including her master, were waiting to tend to her. It was only when she was out of sight of the crowd that she stumbled and collapsed against one of the attendants, who caught her and set her upright again.

"Ugh, sorry," she said, wiping a hand across her face and smearing red there. "Damned cat got me good."

And he had, for the front of her right thigh had a good, deep scratch in it from when she'd jumped back too late and gotten raked by the leopard's claws. Blood streamed from the wound, which another attendant had begun to bandage.

Yasmin shrugged, grinned. "Not as good as I got it, though." She glanced back at the arena where a small crew was cleaning up after the leopards. Plural. There had been two, at first. One would have been too easy or something.

"Still not good enough," her master, a tall, strong man, interjected. "This is the second time you've faced injury in as many weeks. You're getting careless."

"Careless?!" Yasmin said, eyes going wide. "Are you kidding me? We're talking my life here! That's pretty much the last thing I'm careless about!"

"Perhaps careless was the wrong word," her master said with a roll of his eyes. "You could do better. I've seen it."

Frowning, Yasmin wiped her nose. "Ohhhhh. You lost some money gambling today, didn't you? You know, you need to stop taking bad bets. I'm not gonna be able to buy myself out of this if you keep losing our--"

Her master shot her a look that silenced her.

Once she was properly bandaged up and the bleeding stopped, her master took her by the arm. "Let's go. We'll find you a healer. Again," he said, and pulled her along, grumbling something about her upkeep costing more than what he earned in the shows.

Wincing, Yasmin stumbled after him, out of the Colosseum and out into the sunlight of the Essyrni marketplace.

Another day, another healer, and all she really wanted to do right then was sleep.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp was next to enter the arena. He didn't come often, but the crowd was always garanteed a good show when he did. Though he wasn't allowed to wear his armor in the arena, he didn't. It gave him the opportunity to show off his greenness. His opponent was a bear that he would fight bare handed. It was only fitting. The crowd was in an uproar as the bear entered the arena and Gutztomp tossed his axes aside. This was going to be good.

Rhindeer

A sudden roar of excitement and shocked gasps filled the Colosseum then, and Yasmin stopped when her master grabbed her shoulder. "Something's up," he said, and turned her back toward where they'd come. "Let's take a look, shall we?"

Yasmin puffed out her cheeks in annoyance. "Can't it wait until after my leg's fixed, sir?"

He gave her a withering look that answered that question, and with a huff she limped along with him as they headed up and into the stands to get a better look.

And there, in the arena, was a giant of a creature, a green-skinned humanoid who was currently facing off against a bear. She heard whispers around them, talk about how the man was a volunteer, and her lips curled into a scowl.

Crossing her arms over her chest, Yasmin watched the fight with disapproval, silently hating the creature that wanted to do this willingly. And yet, was he not an orc? And was that not what orcs did?

It would be interesting to see how this played out--though, personally, she was more interested in getting her stinging thigh mended.
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp cracked his knuckles, neck, and shoulders in preparation for his tussle with the bear. It shouldn't last long. The bear advanced on Gutztomp and stood on its hind legs, roaring as it did so. Gutztomp chuckled at the beast until it swatted him with a massive paw. While one strike from a bear could easily break a man's back, it simply made Gutztomp stumble backward a step or two. He was very unhappy now. The bear moved to strike again, but Gutztomp struck first. A large green fist crashed into the bear's face, knocking it to the sand. The bear immediately retreated from its obviously superior opponent. Gutztomp laughed at the bear as it ran from him.

"Is dat it," Gutztomp shouted. "Give me somefing better ta fight! Dat was pathetic!"

Rhindeer

Yasmin didn't like the way her master's face broke out into a wide grin at the orc's final statement--his final statement after scaring off an enraged bear!

The bear had been the final opponent of the day, but if the orc wanted to face something else...

With a slap on Yasmin's back, her master gave her a shove. "You heard the beast!" he said. "Go on. Get out there!"

"What?"

"I don't believe I stuttered, Yasmin. Get. Out. There. Give him his fight! I need to make up for the money you lost me."

Yasmin gaped at him, then motioned at her bandaged thigh, which had become a little stained with blood. "With this?!"

"Yes! Go!"

"You'll lose even more money when he kills me, you know!"

"Then I'll bet on your failure," her master said with a sly smile as he handed her back her scimitar. "Now go! Give him his fight!"

"Let me at least grab my shield--"

"No time! Get your ass out there!"

Yasmin wanted to punch him. She wanted to punch him right in the side of his head, punch that smug smile right out of his skull with a knock-out blow. Instead, she turned and stormed away from him, limping as she walked, and headed back down. The portcullis opened for her as she made her intent known to those operating it, and she strode on through. She tried to change her body language from one of stiff anger to its usual relaxed one, and the crowd roared when they saw her return. Disguising her limp with a little cheery bounce in her step, Yasmin waved again and saluted with her sword before turning to face the orc.

"Hey! You!" she called to him with a grin, though it was more of an angry grin--of course, the audience wouldn't be able to tell that she was only flashing her teeth in something closer to a snarl than a smile. "You, with the face! You got something on your--oh. That is your face." She frowned. "That's unfortunate."

Pointing her sword at him, she slid into position and held her free hand out to him, beckoning him to come at her. "Well, come on already! I don't have all day. You wanted your fight, so come get it."

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp burst out laughing at the small human that came to face him.

"Is dis a joke," Gutztomp asked. "You're downright puny. I said I wanted a fight."

Gutztomp laughed again. This would be even quicker then fighting the bear. This had to be a joke. Surely there would be other accompanying her. He was hoping for at least two others to join her. Maybe three if he was lucky.

Rhindeer

Of course he would laugh. Yasmin felt like laughing, too, getting pitted against a guy that had punched a bear in the face and won. But she only gave a shrug in response and stalked cautiously closer, beginning to move in a slow circle around him. She had watched him fight; he could sustain heavy blows, having taken a swipe from the bear like it tickled him, and though he was obviously strong, he had moved rather slow. His tactics had appeared rather simple and straight-forward.

She just couldn't let him hit her.

"You wanted a fight, so fight!" Yasmin said, heart pounding. "Maybe this can be a little warm-up for the next one! Come onnn! Don't leave me hanging here now! Are we gonna fight or are you just gonna stand there looking stupid? I mean, if I'm so puny, why are you hanging back? You couldn't be scared of a puny thing like me, could you?"

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp merely shrugged and began stalking toward her, not bothering to retrieve his axes.

"If you insist, runt," he said simply.

When he was only a few steps away, he suddenly picked up the pace and charged Yasmin, swinging his. If could floor a bear, he could easily knock her head clean off with one punch. Unfortunately he would only be fighting this one person. He had been hoping for, at least, a four-on-one. All well, he could easily get that after this was over. It shouldn't take long.

DaGlobster

Herrick whistled plainly, stepping out of whatever the hell the Essyrni called a "crapping room" and stuffed his hands into his pocket. For once, he wasn't prowling around in the shadows, hoping to snatch a nice piece of loot off of a wealthy patron's belt. He was on break today, and decided to visit the festivities in the colosseum. Given, he still had his weapons on his person, and he was still in his armor, but what kind of man with a few enemies didn't these days? The crowd had become especially thunderous, and he hoped he didn't miss anything good while he was relieving himself.

He stepped back out onto the seating area, and observed the current fight for a few moments. There was a woman fighting an angry wall of green muscle, and he took this in as he found his seat again, which was at the front.

"What's all this, then?" He asked the man next to him, and the well-dressed merchant replied with a shrug. "Big bastard over there punched a bear in the face, asked for more, and that woman volunteered."

"She VOLUNTEERED?!"

"Yep."

"I've got a hundred pieces that say the orc's going to be on the floor by the end of this." Herrick said with a sly smile. The man next to him smiled even wider, and shook his hand. "You got yourself an arrangement, stranger." The man said, and Herrick nodded and stood up. "Wait, where are you going?" The man asked as  Herrick adjusted the straps on his light leather armor, checked his pistol, and made sure his rapier and off-hand dagger were secured onto his belt. "Going to go put that orc on the floor. I also hate to see an unfair fight." He chuckled. He patted the man on the shoulder, and stepped off the ledge that kept the gladiators out of the stands.

He landed lightly on the sand, and drew his rapier and dagger, both ringing with magical energy. He focused on the charging orc, and changed his dagger to a throwing position. "C'mon, dagger, daddy needs a new pair of boots." He whispered, before throwing the dagger. It straightened itself out mid-air, flying point first towards one of his legs.

Rhindeer

Alright. Time to try to survive this thing.

The orc suddenly charge and raised his fist, and Yasmin readied herself for his swing. It came, his fist big as her head (or bigger!), and Yasmin ducked and fell into a controlled roll, dodging out of the way and jabbing at his foot with her sword before bouncing back to her feet with a pained hiss as her leg twinged. She stumbled as she landed on her bad leg, caught herself, and retreated quickly, putting some distance between them.

She was unaware of the dagger flashing through the air, headed for the orc's leg.

Wicked Basket

Gutztomp moved to take another swing at Yasmin, but then he paused. He looked down and saw a dagger in his leg. Pulling the dagger out as if it were only a splinter, Guztomp eyed the newcomer. This was a little better. Now there were two. Guztomp casually retrieved his axes from the sand where he had dropped them. Which one should he kill first? Definitely the new guy. The girl could be safely ignored. There was no way she could harm him. Guztomp advanced on the newcomer.

"Dat cheap shot just earned ya a world o' hurt, ya git," Guztomp said. "Come and get it."

DaGlobster

Hey, Herrick! Did you see that big bastard pull your dagger put his leg like it was nothing? We're screwed, man! echoed through Herrick's head. He had hoped the orc would at least acknowledge the pain, but it seemed to have same effect on him as the effect a thrown rock would have on a brick wall. He glanced down to the pistol on his belt. It was a dragon-hunting pistol, the last of its kind, complete with a rifled barrel long and wide enough to accommodate its ammunition, which were musket balls about half as big as an orange. He decided he'd reserve it for emergencies. At the moment, he needed his dagger back, which was lying tantalizingly on the ground beneath the giant's legs.

A really stupid idea floated to the top of his head, and his tongue acted upon it before his brain could clear it for use. "Why don't you come get me, huh? You chicken or something? Or is your skull so thick and brain so small you've temporarily forgotten how to walk?" He retorted, cracking his biggest shit-eating grin. He hoped he could provoke the orc into a charge as the brute trudged his way over.

Rhindeer

[OOC: OMG. EPIC DERP. DON'T POST WHILE MEDICATED KIDS. xDDD]

Yasmin's eyes went wide when she saw the orc pull a dagger from his leg like it was merely an annoying thorn. A dagger? Where had that come from--

That was when she looked where the orc was looking and saw him. There was a man there.

In the arena.

With her.

A guy she didn't recognize, that was certainly not dressed as a gladiator, but who was armed nonetheless. And in the arena with her.

Mother of Hakeshna.

"Whoa, hey! What are you DOING? Are you crazy?" she yelled, and bolted after the orc as he grabbed his axes and advanced on the man instead of her. "Get out of here, you idiot!"

Not that she didn't delight in the idea of some stupid audience member getting his comeuppance, but she wasn't being completely selfless here, either. If she could be perceived as a hero, she might earn her master some coin. Which was a small step closer to freedom.

Stooping, she grabbed a rock--a piece the Colosseum wall that had crumbled off--and chucked it at the orc's head. "HEY! Over here, moron!" she called, and jabbed at the back of his thigh with her blade--to get his attention, to make him turn. "We're not finished here! And you!" she said, looking back to the man. "Butt out! This guy's mine!"

Wicked Basket

(OOC Um...Herrick jumped into the arena. He's not in the stands :P )

Gutztomp scowled at the man. That was a big mistake on his part.

"You won't be able to walk once I'm through with ya," Gutztomp roared.

Gutztomp charged the man with his axes ready to cleave him clean in two. This guy won't be so smug once his top half is no longer attached to the bottom. Orks in and of themselves were dangerous. An angry ork, especially an ork angry at you, was an nigh unstoppable force of destruction.

DaGlobster

Herrick looked at the charging pillar of green with a look that was one part determination and fifteen parts bravado. Almost to answer the orc's charge, Herrick released his own mighty battle yell. It was obvious the orc was going for a horizontal swing, so it would make his own maneuver a bit easier. Right when it seemed they would clash and Herrick would be short two legs and his ass, he dropped to the ground, Gutztomp's axe passing right over his head as he slid under the massive orc. He made sure to thrust his rapier upwards into his inner thigh before passing completely under him, coming to a well executed stop right by his dagger. He was back on his feet quicker than a whip, with his off-hand now occupied by his dagger. He seemed slightly flustered, and all too fortunate to be alive. Note to self: never throw a dagger at an orc he mentally noted as he collected his thoughts. "Well, at least we've narrowed it down!" He called out. "You're just stupid!"

Rhindeer

The new guy wasn't bad, Yasmin had to admit.

Well, there went the hero plan!

The audience was going wild over this new twist, but Yasmin blocked the noise out and focused. Competent fighter or not, he was messing up her fight! And just when she'd begun to get a read on the orc, and an idea of what she needed to do! Hacking and slashing at a creature that could punch a bear and take a dagger hit like it was a twig was...not the correct strategy. Obviously, his skin was thick and tough; her scimitar blows only seemed to annoy him, and he'd shrugged off the bear's attack.

"So what does that make you?" Yasmin barked at the newcomer, flanking the ork's other side. "Stop showing off! You're not gonna win that way. His skin's too tough! Hey, you!"

That she directed at the ork, smacking him with her sword to get his attention. "Hey, ugly! What're you doing? You haven't even touched us! What's with that?"

Smacking him again and retreating fast, she stuck her tongue out at him and made a rude gesture with her free hand. "Come on! I thought we were fighting!"

Wicked Basket

The rapier didn't even cut deep enough to draw blood from Gutztomp's tough, leathery hide. Gutztomp turned and faced the man again. Before he could answer his insult, the girl spoke up.

"If you bastards would hold still dis would be a fight," Gutztomp roared.

Gutztomp charged again, but this time he displayed a bit of cleverness. As he closed the distance to Herrick, he swept his axe through the sand like a shovel, throwing a tidalwave of the sand straight towards him. Let's see how crafty he is when he can't see.

DaGlobster

Herrick shot Yasmin a glance. "Call me old-fashioned, but I don't like an unfair fight, seeing as your leg's hurt and all." He said with a smile as he pointed his rapier at the bandage wrapped around her leg, which was quickly wiped off as Gutztomp advanced on him again. He sidestepped the sand with a deft spin, having been in one too many brawls and fights to be caught by the old "dirt in the eye" technique. he rolled to the side, out of the way of Gutztomp's mad charge again. "I don't suppose you had a master plan?" he snarked at Yasmin, and he reoriented his dagger in his hand. "Believe me, you'll be thanking me later." He added, and his arm flashed forwards, sending the dagger in Gutztomp's direction, the dagger magically orienting itself so it pointed straight forward in its lightning quick path towards Gutztomp's left eye.

Wicked Basket

The dagger flew straight and true, but Gutztomp didn't turn around fast enough to present his eye as a target. Instead, the dagger bounced off of his thick skull causing Gutztomp to swipe at the back of his head as if shooing away a bug. This was getting irritating. Gutztomp advanced again, slowly this time. Now there would be no jumping. This guy would have to fight him head on.

Rhindeer

Yasmin barked a laugh. "You could call it a plan," she said, though the truth was she never really had one; she made things up as she went, because the arena was unpredictable and she needed to keep on her toes. "You're getting the idea of it, anyway! Keep doing that! you're not going to cut him, so just keep moving!"

Hopefully he'd get what she meant. She didn't want to tip her hand if the ork was smart enough to catch on, but if they kept moving, kept getting him to charge like that...maybe he'd tired himself out? Even an ork couldn't keep going indefinitely! Right?

As the man dodged the ork's sand and tossed a dagger at his face, Yasmin dodged around to the ork's rear, nearly stumbling as pain shot through her leg, and smacked the ork hard on the ass with the flat of her blade as the ork advanced on the man.

"If you had a speed faster than slug, we might have a battle!" Yasmin shot back at him, and gave him a hard jab in the rear to drive home her point before retreating fast, gritting her teeth as her leg twinged.

As much as she was loath to admit it, one on one she may...not have done so well. She was in pain, and already tired from her previous match. If it took a while for this ork to tire, she might have been in trouble on her own.