Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Haunted by the Past, Threatened by the Future [OPEN BY REQUEST]

Started by IcarusDescension, May 28, 2015, 02:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IcarusDescension

If interested in joining, please PM myself or DarkAndar. Thanks!

Image removed. Please read our art usage policy. Thank you!
In a rural country, surrounded by fields both of green and brown, both wild and cultivated, sat a humble temple. Unlike most of the structures around it, someone had taken the effort and expense to cart in the shaped and blocked stone and marble necessary to give a decently somber and artistic exterior to the mostly circular building. Even a few authentic looking ten foot stone columns had been scrounged from somewhere to hold up the peaked roof of the covered patio. A couple of heavy oaken doors were currently opened to welcome what passers-by might wish to stop in for a moment of contemplation or prayer. They were decorated with carved scenes of a benevolent and nature-themed spirit of light spreading life and healing. A squat rectangular brick structure jutted off from one corner large enough for a few rooms used by the temple's caretakers.

The main temple area inside was not large by the standards of such buildings, but it was tastefully built with a marble floor and more columns around its perimeter. Three stained glass windows, together with the doorway, sat at the major compass points of the room and let in a gentle light to the otherwise cool and shaded space. There were a few wooden benches close to the end opposite the doors, in front of a small dais.

In front of the windows to the sides sat a couple of statues of deities, but the conspicuous shelf in front of the last window behind the dais sat empty. It was before this vacancy, with his back turned to the door, that the temple's primary caretaker stood in silence. Viewed from behind and covered in his favorite gray robe as he was, the man's age was not evident – only his sturdy frame and stiff posture.

Yet he had been feeling it of late, his age that is. It was not so much the occasional aches and pains which were not there twenty or even ten years before. It was more a subtle weight that he felt inside of him, a burden that loomed over even his most casual thoughts which he couldn't quite put his finger on.

Kavik frowned as the sun's rays, washed to beautiful colors by the stained glass before him, shifted and played across his weathered face. Every day it gets harder to ignore, he thought to himself. There are fewer years ahead than there are behind, I know this. When I pass from this life, what will I have given? This temple? Every coin I gained from my misspent youth I put towards this place and the people it helps, and every year since then I have given to those same people, trying to pass on what I have learned; trying my hardest to teach them what I have failed to master: The teachings of Gods whose beauty and light could save this world. Could save us all from ourselves. Why does it not feel like enough?

"Can I take your silence as a prayer, or are you finally getting bored with this peasant life?"

It was not in his nature to be easily startled, though Kavik did feel the hairs on his neck stand on end as he recognized the voice. "Barnet," he said in a neutral voice. "I did not expect to see you again." He turned to see a face that looked even older than his own on a bent figure of a man.

Distinctive violet eyes shone brightly on the otherwise haggard looking face, and a smile lifted the sides of the man's gray beard – but there was no warmth in either of them. "Come now old friend," the man spoke in a low voice which was still strong. "You may have spurned me but I have never forgotten you... Tell me, how is this mundane life treating you? My body seems to have aged far worse than your own yet I sense you have the heavier spirit. Perhaps it is the perfect time for my visit! Let us sit, and remember the old times eh?"

Kavik didn't return the smile though he did, after some hesitation, come and sit beside the man on one of the benches.

"Tell me," Barnet continued, "what's it like? Settling down, tending to the simple folk as the years slowly pass you by... Is it all you hoped it would be?"

Kavik frowned again. Was he ever like this man, were they once really friends? Had the years changed him that much or had his 'friend' changed for the worse? "I've learned much from these 'simple folk' as you call them. Most of them are good men, better men than I ever was. And you'd be surprised how beneficial the simple act of helping others is to one's own soul... Perhaps you should try it sometime." He turned in his bench seat to face the man beside him. "But you didn't come here out of curiosity did you 'old friend'? Not after all these years. Tell me why you're here."

The man chuckled softly. "Why to take your advice my dear Kavik! I'm here to help you." Those piercing violet eyes seemed to gain a notch in intensity as the men stared at each other. "You can't tell me you're happy here, living like this! You, who were always the smartest and most talented of us all. Why you should be looking down upon nobility by now. Does it never get to you in the quiet hours old friend? The longing? The thought that you could be doing something more? That you could... BE something more?"

Kavik found himself uncharacteristically squirming in his robes, almost breaking eye contact. There was something in the man's words which had gotten past his defenses -resonated with something inside of him he didn't want to face.

The bearded man must have sensed the effect of his words for he seemed to gain momentum. "I can help you! I've come to renew old bonds – make things right between us as it were...." Pulling something out from beneath his cloak he handed over some folded pieces of paper. "Look at them for a minute, tell me what you see..."

After unfolding the papers and glancing at them the blue-eyed man shot a look of intense concern back at his older associate. He hadn't needed a minute to recognize some of the excerpts of runes. Even after all these years he still would have known them anywhere.

Another smile. This time Barnet leaned in conspiratorily and spoke in a hushed tone -though there was no one else in the temple. "Yes... There is another scroll my friend... Recently uncovered in a buried ruin somewhere on a jungle island. Some fool discovered it while studying the primates there or some such nonsense, he doesn't even know what he's stumbled upon!

"Of course, this 'library' as he's calling it contains many other pieces of ancient literature as well it seems, and is drawing attention from other circles. Apparently a few writings of some religious significance have been uncovered also – but that matters not. What's important is that you and I are two of a very small number of people alive who know the power these runes contain, and we must act quickly if we are to get to the original document before someone else figures out its importance yes?"

Now Kavik did look away, a heavy and uncomfortable weight hitting his stomach. He didn't like this 'discovery' one bit. Desperately he hoped it was a fraud, but that was unlikely. Very few people even knew of these dark magics, inscribed in ancient runes long buried, and those who did were unlikely to have a motive to create forgeries. He wished that he could forget the entire conversation, forget the past events it brought to life, but he could not afford to do either.

Still, among the numerous disturbing revelations present, one thing seemed most out of place. "Why are you really telling me this? And don't give me more yarn about wanting to 'renew old bonds.'"

Barnet chuckled again. "I see you haven't completely lost your edge... Very well. I came because we both know if this little endeavor of mine is to be successful I'll likely need your help. It was you who translated the first scroll, you who broke its code and figured out its little riddle yes? Perhaps I could do it without you this time, but I've never been a man to fall victim to overconfidence, besides-"

"-besides which," Kavik interrupted, "you're no doubt worried the scroll will require another human sacrifice to relinquish its secrets, and what better way to solve two problems at once than to bring me along. Isn't that about right?"

The older man's smile faltered. "My dear Kavik. You have grown a bit more cynical over the years haven't you? You shouldn't have worried about that, we'll think of something else should such... unfortunate necessities reveal themselves."

Kavik offered a grunt in reply, then fell silent as he stared at the colorful window before them. "No," he said at last. "I want nothing to do with this. You're wrong about me. I'm happy with my life here, and this time I'll have no part of your little quest for power. You're on your own... old friend."

The old man's bent frame seemed to puff up in indignation. Apparently he had thought to have had the younger man solidly hooked. The harrumph that followed was impressive for its sheer derision. "Happy indeed. You used to be a better liar that's for sure. Beyond that change for the worse I can't say that you're any different at all than when we last parted! Still so full of yourself... You actually think you're better than I am, I can see it your eyes! You can stuff your holier-than-thou ways and false human charity! You may have these rural peasants fooled but you'll never pull the wool over my eyes no matter how hard you lie to yourself. We'll always be the same inside you and I..."

He rose to leave as if the bench were suddenly rotted through and distasteful to sit upon. "But if it suites you to rot to old age in obscurity then far be it for me to rescue you from such nonsense! Goodbye once more, and good riddence!" He said no more as he fled the temple with an agility that belied his looks.

Once alone again Kavik rose from the bench and resumed staring at the colorful window and the empty shelf before it. He had never figured out what belonged there, and was waiting for inspiration to strike him. It never had. Perhaps he would ask Alvina. He had found the younger acolyte often had the piece of wisdom he himself was overlooking. He probably should have asked her long before now, he decided.

After all it was she alone to whom he felt he could entirely trust the care of the temple when he left, and he *would* be leaving soon. Not for the reasons that Barnet had assumed of course – not for power. Not to claim the scroll, but rather to destroy it. Once before he had touched such dark magics, had desired their gifts and paid their price. Never again, and if he could help it he would see that no one else had the chance to do so either.

Perhaps then the disquiet in him would at last be quelled. Perhaps then, at long last, his past could stop haunting him and the scales of his life could be balanced...

DarkAndar

Alvina finished applying the herbal concoction to dull the pain and prevent infection she had made with mortar and pestle. Layering it over the sutured wound on the boy's forearm. She then wound a length of bandage around it.  The boy and his father had arrived an hour earlier by wagon. The child's arm tied off with his father's shirt, soaked through with blood. He had explained to Alvina how the boy was attacked by a wild dog and how their very own brave dog had saved Billy's life.

"No more wandering off like that, Billy. If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, stay out of them damned woods! Now your mum's going to be sick with worry," scolded the broad shouldered and bearded man. "Thank you Lady Alvina. Sometimes I think my boy does foolish things on purpose just for the excuse to visit you."

"No need to thank me, Rolf. It is blessed Ki's desire to see her children protected and harms salved," she said with a warm smile and playful mussing of the young boy's mop of brown curly hair. "There. All done kiddo. Heed your father, Billy. While the world is full of wondrous things, it also holds perils many would be wise to avoid."

"I know," said the boy softly. He peered down at his arm and the bandage that encircled it. "You should have seen it though, Alvina! That mean ole' dog sunk its teeth into my arm and out of no where came Oats! He jumped on 'im and they snarled and snapped at one another all wild like before Oats scared 'im off," said the boy excitedly hopping around and waving his arms and making growling noises as if he were a dog.

"I'm sure it was some sight," said Alvina with a rich throaty laugh.

"Do give the Reverend my best wishes. We'll be back to pay our respects come the week after. I do apologize for having to leave in such a rush. But the crop won't get harvested on its own. And Billy's run in has cost me half the day already. Take care Lady Alvina. Come on son," said Rolf, hoisting Billy up into the wagon before hauling himself up into the driver's seat.

"See ya Alvina!" yelled Billy in farewell.

"Goodbye! Ki protect thee!" she said.

Shortly after the wagon was drawn away by a strong red roan, leaving a cloud of dust in its wake as it traveled away down the road. Alvina gathered her things from the patio flagstones and moved toward the oaken doors. A man bent with years emerged from them, a scowl engraved on his aged bearded face. Alvina drew back a step to offer the man a clear path as much as to avoid being rammed into. He did not seem a very friendly sort and snorted in reply to Alvina's blessing of Ki.

"What need have I of prayers? Ha! Kavik will come, gods be damned. He'll come...." blustered the man, disappearing down the steps.

Alvina stood there for a moment, puzzled by the man's words. Was he an old acquaintance of Father Kavik's? It seemed unlikely to her. The man's face held such contempt and ire. Why would a holy man consort with such an individual? She entered the temple, still troubled by the presence of the strange person.

After stowing away her medicinal instruments, Alvina crossed into the main temple hall, the hem of her white robe whispering across the marble tiles. She found Reverend Kavik on the raised dais, peering up at the stained glass window and bare shelf. She moved to his side and inclined her sandy-blonde head deferentially. "Father," she greeted, tilting her head upward to observe the sight that seemed to occupy his thoughts. "Flowers," she said simply after a moment. A smile hinting at the corners of her lips. It was a sort of game she and Kavik often played. Where she would answer an unspoken question. And where he would often laugh and nod his agreement and jokingly tell her "it took you long enough", even if she had guessed the answer just as soon as he had formed the question.

Kavik was a lot like Alvina's grandfather. When he was still alive, he would tell a young Alvina stories of his past adventures. Or relate pearls of wisdom he had gleaned along the path of life.

"Lilacs and lavender to give the place a soothing scent perhaps," she said with a gesture up to the unadorned shelf. Her thoughts of temple decor quickly faded when she saw the look on her mentor's face. Deep furrows etched into a troubled countenance. Sometimes, when he had that faraway look, she would note a shadow come over his features - some nameless demon of his past. Alvina never pressed him for an explanation though. Ki knew she had her own nightmares, best left forgotten. Still, whatever had been bothering the old man had come to a head and Alvina had a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with that strange man.

"Father? Who was that?" she said softly with a backwards glance to the oaken doors. She wished to also speak on the matter of a vision she had in her sleep. A vision in which Kavik and her traveled by ship to a mystical island. Something dark lingered there...She had seen it mirrored in her mentor's horror-bound gaze. His eyes weren't very assuring now. Concern knitted her brow.

"Father?"

IcarusDescension

Kavik turned to Alvina as if just realizing she was there. "Hmm? Oh, that was..." He shot a dark look over his shoulder towards the door, his eyes holding an unusual intensity. "...no one important. An old acquaintance from days long ago when I was a... different man. He brought troubling news I'm afraid."

Seemingly shaking off the last of his reverie, he turned to face the younger acolyte. The intensity in behind his eyes seemed to repudiate his even, almost casual tone of voice. "All the wisdom of a lifetime, and I feel I have offered you so little..." He released a heavy sigh. "There is, it appears, something I must attend to. An unfinished chapter from my past that I have too long ignored. I'm afraid I must leave things here in the care of another, possibly for some time..." He raised an eyebrow pointedly as he looked at her.

DarkAndar

Alvina had never seen Father Kavik so out of sorts before. His mind had gone back to whatever place held those demons. She did not believe the Minister when he brushed off the stranger as no one of consequence. Something had happened between those two, she'd bet her life on it! Something long buried. Despite Alvina's short years in the world, she knew things left buried had a way of turning up sooner or later.

"Troubling news, father?" she echoed. Kavik had said he was a different sort of man in the past. What did that mean? She found it hard to believe he wasn't always a man of faith. But he had told Alvina enough stories about his younger years to know he had an adventurer's heart too. Perhaps he had led a life of pleasure without proper meditation and self evaluation. But she would not cast the first stone - all of Ki's children had faults, including herself. Whatever sort of man Kavik had been, one thing was clear, he was not proud of some of the choices he had made.

Without elaboration, the Minister swiftly changed the subject to her. Offered her so little? What was  he talking about? She was ever grateful to the man for bringing her in and allowing her to serve Ki. Could he not see that? "Oh but Father Kavik, you've offered me much and more," she protested.

He continued on with a sigh, speaking of a matter that needed attention. She was under no illusions as to what that 'business' pertained. Whatever argument he and that odd stranger had rehashed, Father Kavik intended to put things to rights. She recalled the stranger's words: "Ha! Kavik will come, gods be damned. He'll come." Perhaps the stranger knew Kavik a lot better than she did.

She took his meaning as to whom he expected to look after things while he was away. "Oh but I can't! Forgive me Father, but I must respectfully decline," she said, her eyes downcast. Then she fixed him with a determined look. "You know I would do anything for you. Normally it would be an honored privilege to oversee things here at the temple. I cannot though," she said and rested a tender hand on Kavik's arm. "I had a dream that you boarded a ship and went to an island," she confessed, her face taking on a pensive look. "I was there! It is Ki's wish that I am there. Please Father Kavik, allow me to come with you. My healing arts may be needed for the place you intend to go. One of the other Acolytes can keep things orderly while we're away. Mislandra perhaps. Please Father, allow me to come. I do not pretend to know what use Ki has for me on such a journey. I am but her servant. Her will, I obey," she said with a full smile that was sure to convince the old man.

She wasn't above a little honeyed words and charm if it worked in her favor! Alvina had also wisely left out the part of her dream where Kavik had been in utter horror at.....something or someone. She did not know what that something or someone was. But by the gods, she would save Kavik from whatever it was. Besides, she would not keep secrets from the Minister. She would speak of the dream in more detail later. When she was safely aboard the ship - with him. Perhaps by then she would have had more visions as well to better understand the nature of her involvement on this...quest.

IcarusDescension

Kavik raised an eyebrow at her mention of her vision, his face betraying little other emotion. "Indeed?"

Amusement began to shine in his eyes at her charming smile, breaking his stern facade. "I will confess something to you now. The day you came here, claiming to have been guided by Ki, I felt a measure of skepticism. Was one so young truly prepared to offer her life to the service of others and the greater good, I wondered? Could you really understand the weight of the responsibility? But in all the days since then and now I have never once repeated my mistake of doubting. Ki's light shines through you, and the world is the brighter for it.

At least part of the weight seemed to lift from the man's shoulders as he smiled at last. "So I shall make a point of not forgetting my lessons in humility now. Even without this vision I could not have refused your company with much conviction, but what you have seen surely eases any doubt that you are meant to come." His smile flickered. "Not to mention it eases an old man's fears that this errand is some invention of my own hubris."

"Mislandra," he said quietly as he pondered her suggestion. "Yes... Her compassion and empathy do not run as deep as your own I think, but she is dedicated. She will grow from the experience. I must stop trying to control events and trust in Ki's guiding hand...

He broke off, growing more solemn again. "But I must tell you... I feel there is no small amount of danger ahead... Are you certain of this course?"

Kavik felt at war with himself. As surely as the thought of not having to face the weight of the task before him alone was a relief, so too the thought of involving Alvina was a tightness in his chest. Of all of those he had come across in his time at the temple there was no one he could think of about whom he would feel worse should his actions bring them to harm.

DarkAndar

Alvina was truly touched by Kavik's words. "Thank you Father," she said, finding it hard not to beam after such praise from her mentor. She nodded, listening to his concerns and worries. When he asked her again if she was prepared to join him on a journey that could very well be dangerous, she nodded quickly. The only thing that truly worried her at the moment was the minister not taking her along with him. That he may fall into some horrible danger without anyone around to help him. Any fears she herself might come to harm simply did not cross her awareness.

It was something she had realized a long time ago. No matter how prudent and cautious a person was, danger was always lurking around the next corner. It was far better to live one's life optimistically, trusting that Ki would shine a light in which to guide them, then to jump at every shadow. Still, there was wisdom in being wary to a degree. Running headlong into potentially harmful situations was not to be recommended either.

What was readily apparent was just how excited Alvina was to begin their trek. It was not only to see toward Kavik's safety that drew her to the journey, the young woman would gladly use it as an excuse to see the world and spread the word of Ki and offer her healing services to anyone in need.  The acolyte was practically bubbling with excitement, clasping her hands together. "I will pack immediately, Father!" she announced before rushing off to her quarters to do just that.

She absently wondered what it was like to sail. She had never traveled by boat before. The prospect was an interesting one. There was a great many things she was ignorant of in the wide vast world. She was actually going on an adventure with Minister Kavik. The woman let out a throaty laugh and began the fairly swift process of gathering the personal belongings she would take on the trip.

IcarusDescension

Kavik smiled to himself at her enthusiasm, wishing he could borrow some of it for himself. He felt little excitement about the journey to come - only a solemn acceptance. A grudging satisfaction that he would not have to close the books on his life without setting things right. Perhaps Ki herself had intended him to have this chance - was he meant to go on this quest? Or was that just his own weakness for self-importance surfacing again, the human ego at work? It didn't matter, he decided.

Yet in spite of his serious nature, in spite of his fears of what would happen, he did feel something alive inside of him. As if by undertaking this he had shrugged off a few years that were weighing him down and he was, if only a bit, younger again. Or perhaps it's just being around Alvina, he considered, and her youthful enthusiasm - it's infectious....

Pushing aside the irrelevant debate he turned his attention to the more immediate matters of preparing for his departure. He sought out Mislandra and explained to her that he and Alvina would be leaving on an errand and that he wasn't sure when they would be returning. As he expected the Acolyte accepted the burden he was asking of her, although he offered few details as to why they were going and he could tell the woman was a bit off-put by the lack of information. Still, the last thing he wanted was to spread information on the existence of the dark scroll, and he respected his companions at the temple too much to lie to any of them.

Then it was on to gathering his things. His pack was not overly heavy but it contained, among other things, supplies enough to camp if he needed along the journey, as well as what limited supply of dried foods and water he had readily available. Lastly he tucked away a coin pouch which he always kept carefully hidden in his room. Nearly all of his wealth had gone into the building of the temple itself, but he had saved away a few more coins just in case something came up in the later years of his life... And it seemed something had.

After that he headed off to find Alvina and begin their journey before it got any later in the day. He still didn't know precisely where they were headed, but he knew how to find out. Involving Barnet was the last thing he wanted to do -he didn't even want his old ally to know he was going after the scroll- but if this 'library' really had made a stir in the religious circles he knew other he could ask who could point him in its direction.

DarkAndar

Alvina wasn't one to fuss over niceties when it came to personal possessions. The bare essentials would serve her just fine. A brush, a few simple traveling tunics of reliable wool to go with her robes, a wineskin, pouches of herbs she used to heal many kinds of ailments, bandages, a simple knife, her prayer book and dream diary, and what little coin she had saved up just in case.

With everything neatly tucked away in her packs, Alvina returned to Minister Kavik, none of her earlier excitement having lessened in the slightest.

"I am ready, Father," she said with a grin. Looking around the hall with its stained glass windows whose reflected light brought the stone deities to life. "I shall miss it here," she said, speaking the truth of it as she realized it. This had been the closest thing she had to a home for a very long time. It was a holy building and Alvina would not argue against anyone who claimed such a place would naturally be special. But to Alvina, it was the people within a building that gave it life - that gave it meaning.

She recalled all the many talks she had with Father Kavik, in the main temple hall, in the storeroom, in the courtyard. She recalled sharing secrets with a few of the other acolytes that would make even Ki blush to hear them. She remembered the many visitors they had had over the years; locals who always made it a priority to pay homage and who often enough requested her healing skills when a child had an accident or a farmer was attacked by wild animals or a storm's fury put others in a bad way. They were all like family to her. She would indeed miss the temple, but more importantly, all the people.

"Ki's light, I'll miss everyone we leave behind," she said with a sigh. "But that will make our return all the more special," said Alvina brightly, peering up to Kavik. "Ki will see us through it all," she said with a pat to the old man's arm, sensing he needed the reassuring just as much as she did.

IcarusDescension

Kavik nodded at the younger woman's words, frowning as he himself looked at the temple one last time before their departure. "Indeed," was all he said. Words seemed so inadequate. He had put his life into the place, his last bid on a new future - on becoming a new man. Had it worked? He supposed he would find out.

Ki will see us through... Once again he found she had reminded him of the piece of wisdom he had needed. I must trust in Ki.

They departed together, setting course for the coast of Serendipity. The Father explained some of the gaps as their journey began. Delving into some of the parts of his past he had kept hidden would be necessary he knew. The first and best way to keep her safe was to let her know of the dangers they would be facing.

A traveler had fortunately been passing by with a cart of goods bound towards the coast, and Kavik bartered their passage as well. It was a rickety, beat-up old excuse for a cart but it was covered and thus offered shelter from the sun's rays and it seemed sturdy enough. A couple of oxen pulled it faithfully over the bumpy road and Kavik found himself tossed about occasionally by the ruts and potholes in the road. Still it would be faster than walking and cheaper than purchasing their own horses.

Speaking in tones soft enough not to be overheard over the the noise of the cart and animals, the man pulled out the piece of paper Barnet had given him and forgotten to retrieve. It held a crude but adequate copy of some of the runes. He handed it to Alvina.

"Now that we're underway, I can put it off no longer... There are some things about my past you must know." He did not meet her eyes, instead looking off into the distance. "I was... a much more selfish man in my youth. I had grand dreams but they were quite misplaced I'm afraid. Dreams of making the world a better place by force, by my own hand if necessary... Dreams of power."

He gestured towards the paper. "I wouldn't burden you with the knowledge of my mistakes but it is because of them that we become involved in all this I fear. That man who came to the temple, Barnet was his name, we were friends once long ago. We learned of a dark scroll that was written in runes unmistakably like the ones you hold in your hand. It promised power. So we decided to take it upon ourselves to gain that power.

"I'm afraid we succeeded..." His narrative drifted off, he seemed to be lost in a dark memory.

DarkAndar

Alvina got a first hand experience of what it was to barter when Kavik haggled mightily their passage for only a future's sermon. Though Alvina began to wonder just who had gotten the better of that deal when she settled into the old beat up conveyance. Further evidence that Father Kavik had been far too generous by the jouncing slightly faster than walking trundle down the road. One nasty bump spilled Alvina neatly into the old man's lap! After some shared laughter she noticed that hard look in his eyes again that usually preceded a talk about his mysterious past. He then handed her a piece of paper. Gazing down at it, Alvina saw it was covered in strange symbols she could not translate. Not that that should be surprising, she had never been much of a scholar, had always preferred hands on work in favor of peering over dusty tomes.

"As you wish, Father," she said simply. She had always been curious about the Minister's past before, but had never been overbold in broaching the subject which was obviously a sore point for him. She was glad that he would speak of it now, and hoped that his words might help her better understand what she had seen in her dream.

She nodded, watching his facial expression go somewhat dispassionate, as he told of a time where he had craved power. And like before when he had hinted at such things, Alvina had difficulty imagining the Minister in such a role. Still, she listened intently, not wanting to make any assumptions. Kavik made mention of Barnet, apparently the man she had seen earlier that day. Just the mere thought of that meeting made the hairs on the back of her neck stand straight up! There was something unmistakably dark about that man. He seemed so unlike the Minister though, and she could hardly believe it when Father Kavik spoke of working with the man to find some sort of dark scroll - whose writings were copied on the paper she now held. Alvina nearly dropped the parchment just as surely as if it were a poisonous snake. The oddly drawn runes seemed to squiggle off the page much like a serpent of sorts. But she blinked and then saw they had not moved. Must have been the constant shaking of the cart that made it appear so - or so she prayed.

The minster finished the tale with their eventual success, which by the way he told it, made it seem a very awful thing to have happened indeed. Alvina nodded again, not wanting to look at the page anymore, she gazed up at the Minister. It was hard to decipher what was going through his mind at that moment. Something undesirable, that was certain. Alvina did not understand exactly what conclusion to draw from their success in finding the dark scroll and unleashing its powers. So quite naturally, she said, "What happened then, Father? I mean, when you found this power," she clarified, her green eyes sparkling in the sunlight as it slanted through the opening in the back of the cart. "What did you do with it?" she whispered, finding she wanted to know the answer, but also dreaded it just the same.

IcarusDescension

Seemingly pulled back to reality by her words, the man squinted into the distance as if the memories were causing him physical pain as he continued. "We were able to translate the scroll, unlock its secrets, even figured out how to activate it. I'm largely to thank for that unfortunate development I'm afraid, but when we actually did so it turned out that the scroll demanded a... payment to relinquish its promised powers.

"Once we realized what it required I tried to stop it but nothing worked, not even tearing up the scroll itself. One of us had to die. If we did not choose for ourselves it would have taken one of its own choosing." His voice was strained now. "So it was that one of us stepped forward, volunteered himself. It should have been me... but I was not the better man. I lacked the courage it seems, or was just too selfish.

"The rest of us, well, we got the power we sought. I think we all did our best to forget the price we paid for it. A task that was harder for some of us than for others. I wonder sometimes if Barnet would still pay the price of his friend's life if he had it to do all over again, if he would watch a good man squirm and scream as he died a slow and agonizing death. Yet I fear I know the answer. I can wholeheartedly say that I would not; little comfort that is to me. He is just as dead, and I am just as alive.

"So now you know. All of these years I have spent since in the service of others, do not judge me too kindly for them. I fear they are poor compensation for the sins of my youth."

The minister seemed bitter now, staring at the road behind them with mute animosity as if it were his own past stretching out before him. "Barnet is not a good man I fear. I'm not sure if it was the power or the guilt or both, but he is not the man who dreamed with me of a better world all those years ago. All that is left of him now is a man who has tasted power and desires more of it. Be wary of him, for I fear we may yet run into him again. The scroll gifted powers of teleportation and enhanced reflexes. He may look old and frail but even still he should be considered dangerous."

He seemed weighted down more now, the shadows darker around him. His head was bowed. "I can bear no more of my own mistakes, I beg you let us speak of something brighter." He spared the young acolyte a glance, as if needing to reassure himself of her presence. "Would you tell me of your vision? I know I seldom ask of matters between you and Ki, but perhaps this once it would not be wrong of me..?"

DarkAndar

It was easy for her to see the remorse that pained Father Kavik's face upon dredging up his dark past.  Alvina, entranced by his story, could do little more than listen and picture the events unfolding as he had said they had. Alvina clasped Kavik's hand to lend her reassurance and strength when he spoke of  the horrible sacrifice that had been made. A man had lost his life for the sake of greed.

"But don't you see Father? It was Ki's light that turned you from that ill fate. Serving Ki and others has made of you a considerate and pious man. It is all any of us can do when faced with such tragedy; to do better and learn from our mistakes - no matter how horrible they are," she said, a warm smile that crinkled her eyes at the edges flowed over her face.

Then a shadow fell over her face, her brow knitted together with her own troubled past. "I wanted them dead," she said in a small voice barely able to be heard over the noisy cart. "For many weeks I felt better for knowing many died for their sinful acts. I even prayed for those who got away to come to some grisly end or another. I demanded it for what they took from me," she continued, her eyes lifted, tears welling up in them, her voice hard as iron. "They took everything from me and left me barren in my soul. My ma and pa were gone. I knew naught else, but revenge in my heart. I felt somehow as if it were all my fault. Those men atop me, maybe I should have gone willingly. Maybe if I had they'd still be alive," she said, her voice cracking, needing a few moments to collect herself and continue. "For days afterward, I begged any god that would hear my pleas, to allow me to suffer days of rape, even weeks if that would bring my parents back."

She traced her fingers over a sack of grain as she spoke. "Then I found Ki and I sobbed for days. In her glorious wisdom I understood then that I had stopped living because of that horrible memory. That I could let it go and not feel guilt. That my holding onto such grief was not something I owed," she said, her smile returning even as she wiped her cheek clear of moisture. "So you see. We can only be what Ki made of us, now, today. Not yesterday or years ago. The past may haunt our thoughts, but if we let it, it can spoil our futures as well. I decided from that day on, to live the rest of my days as a servant of Ki. To mend wounds and spirits, in whatever fashion I could. For doing that would bring more joy to me than any righteous retribution ever could."

She still saw that edge of bitterness linger about his aged face, but she thought it had lessened a great deal after she had shared a dark patch of her own past. She found herself nodding her agreement as they turned to brighter thoughts. When the Minister brought up her dream, she felt immediately wretched. Remembering how she had only told Kavik the part of her vision that suited her needs. "I owe you an apology Father. I was not completely forthright when I brought the matter of my dream to you in the holy house of Ki," she said, her eyes downcast.

"I thought at the time, I was doing right by you. I was afraid you'd never allow me to come along if you knew the entire extent of it," she said softly. "But I only did what I thought right to protect you. I needed to come along and couldn't bear the thought of something awful happening to you Father," she admitted and lifted her face a fraction so that her green eyes peered up at him, a small smile on her face despite what she had said. "But I'm not sorry I'm here with you, going on this trip. I'm only sorry In my foolishness in concealing anything from you," she said with a sigh.

That determined look returned to her face as she faced up to what she had done and began to relate to Minister Kavik everything that had happened in her dream. Of that horrible darkness that put Kavik in peril and the look of stark fear she had seen in his eyes to behold that darkness. "It was like you seen your own end, or something just as fierce. I awoke after that, sweaty all over and telling myself there was no way in Ki's light that I'd let you leave without me," she said with one of her throaty chuckles that immediately put those dark considerations to rest with her light-hearted spin on things. "Come hell or high water I was coming with ya," she said with a grin. "I can be stubborn as a mule when I want to be."

IcarusDescension

Finally the darkness seemed to lift a bit from the man and Kavik managed a faint smile. "I wouldn't have you be any other way. And... I thank you for sharing your own story with me. I'm sorry for the pain it brought you." His face contorted in pain as he remembered the look of her own sorrows and hurt written on her features, the tears that marked the scars of her past.

He felt like he should have said something more. He was supposed to be the minister after all, and in the face of all of her confessions of what she had been through he had only changed the subject. By contrast her own insightful words had touched him deeply. Perhaps too deeply, he considered, perhaps that was why he had verbally flinched away as he had. Yet he knew he must demand more of himself.

Before them fields of grains passed into the distance, broken by the occasion copse of leafy trees. The grass blew gently, caressed by the passing breezes.

"You did the right thing," he added, "by insisting on coming." He turned to her, slate-colored eyes conveying an unspoken gratitude. "You know... When I was younger I too would have wished those men dead -killed them with my own hands in fact- for what they did to you. It was why I wanted power so much, to make the world better - to make people better, by force if necessary. Back then I hadn't yet learned that only kindness can truly change people for the better you see. The willingness to kill, or to brave the wilds on a crazy quest for a magical scroll, well that seemed nothing to me in those days. Those things I ascribed to bravery, and I patted myself on the back for them.

"Yet you've reminded me of something today. You've reminded me that true bravery isn't any of those things. It's in facing the pain of our past and breaking its hold on our future. It's in facing the darkness, both around us and within us, and not hiding or running away from it but banishing it with a greater light. Just as you have done.

"Ki was wise indeed to send you on this errand. For I suspect that on the road ahead it is that kind of bravery which will see us through. And see us through it will."

He smiled again, attempting to portray a confidence he wasn't sure he felt. His mind still lingered on what she had said. The image of himself, white with fear before a great darkness. He couldn't suppress a shudder. Oh Great Ki, I pray I am up to the task you have placed before me...

DarkAndar

She was glad that her admission did not anger Minister Kavik. It was part of the reason she had always found it difficult to believe him to be this man he claimed to be in his past. Since the first time she had met him, he'd always been considerate of others feelings and she could not remember a time he had acted in any manner that wasn't thoughtful and generous. She only wished that one day she could embody that. Not that she wasn't kind and respectful, she was, but there were times where her strong will to do good made her act rashly in situations that might require a bit more receptivity.

Alvina understood all too well when Father Kavik spoke of killing such men as ravaged her with his own hands when he was a younger man. She had thought much the same in the days after the terrible tragedy. As he did so often, Father Kavik turned the conversation to insightful reflection. It made her warm in her stomach and joyous in her heart to hear the Minister speak so kind of her words and hopeful to boot, that they would indeed succeed in their quest.

She glanced down at the dark spidery runes and got a strong urge to drop the paper. Alvina offered it back to the Minister, forcing her hand not to tremble. "Where do we go now, Father? Must we get involved with that man....this Barnet? He had an unwholesome aura about him," she said, recalling what the man had said. "And he said....you'd come," she relayed, thinking back to the withered man's words outside the temple. "It's like he knew what you'd do, Father," she said, her brow furrowed quizzically, looking to the Minister. "What do you imagine such a man wishes to accomplish by enlisting your help? Does he believe he can tempt you with such madness once again?" She asked, not believing for a second Kavik would even entertain such ideas. But could he perhaps be goaded into helping that wicked man with his need to do the 'right' thing? She didn't believe so. The Minister was a cunning old man himself, he would never fall into such a trap.

IcarusDescension

Kavik nodded, taking the paper without comment and folding it before putting it back in his pocket, then looking distant again as if studying the motion of the fields in the wind. "There's a Priest in the Temple of Kia in Cerenis by the name of Davis. He's something of a scholar in his off time and when last I knew him there wasn't a piece of news on religious and spiritual matters he hadn't made a point of hearing. He even studies religions he reviles, it's sort of a passion for him...

"Well, anyway, I have a strong suspicion that if this 'library' has really been discovered he'll have heard about it. -And I trust him to point us in the right direction without ulterior motives, which is more than I can say for Barnet.

"Which brings me to your second question, and quite a good one it was. I don't know exactly what his game is, and that is worrisome. I don't doubt your perceptions of him a bit, and I agree he should be avoided if we can manage it. Alas he does know me well, you're right about that too. -Or at least, he knew the man I used to be very well indeed. I think he really couldn't imagine me learning about the scroll and *not* coming after it, although he doesn't seem to think I've really changed over the years. He was partly right I suppose, in that he had the perfect hook -there was no way I would be able to just let it pass.

"So either he just couldn't imagine that I had changed enough that I wouldn't get caught up in his play for the power of the scroll, or he has another reason altogether more subtle for wanting me involved. With any luck, we won't have to find out."

DarkAndar

Alvina nodded her agreement. The last thing they needed was Barnet's help. But she wasn't so sure about being left in the dark about Barnet's scheme. Though she did not voice her concern, she would much rather not be in the dark when it came to that man's plans.

"This Davis sounds like the very person to turn to," she said, her face becoming pensive. "Wouldn't Barnet of thought of that too? Maybe he's got all the news there is to be gotten from Davis," she said, not liking the prospect of following in Barnet's footsteps as that would likely lead them down a path he had already decided for them.

She leaned back against her makeshift pillow which was just a bundle of clothes in her pack. Watching as the light spilled in through the back, making a necklace of dust motes sparkle. Thoughts of their adventure sailed lazily through her mind. Of ships sailing to mystical islands. Barnet sneaking in shadows. Of ancient libraries and dark deities. Of Ki guiding them along in that ray of sunlight. Alvina smiled, eyelids hanging low. She tilted her head to look up at the Minister.

"You said the scroll gifted you powers of teleportation and quick reflexes, Father. How do you mean? Can you do these things?" she asked. She wondered at that. If he had powers that could move them to some other place, wouldn't he of used them to swiftly bring them to their destination instead of traveling by cart? Perhaps he did not care to use the darkly begotten gifts. She found herself drifting lazily off to sleep. The Minister's words trailed off as the cart vanished into darkness.

IcarusDescension

Kavik frowned as his younger companion voiced her concerns about Barnet being one step ahead of them in regards to Davis. His mind raced as he thought back through his history. They *had* consulted Davis in their search for the first scroll, now that he thought back on it. However at the time their interest was purely professional and it was a brief interview. It was only in later years that Kavik had remembered the man and decided to seek out a relationship with him, spurred by his own burgeoning interest in matters of faith.

Would Barnet have remembered Davis as well? Would he have sought him out again this time? It seemed quite possible...

His frown deepened.

Before he could formulate a reply she had moved on, asking about his powers of teleportation. "Hmm? Oh, yes, the power. The scroll was supposed to grant incredible gifts you know: The ability to be everywhere at once, it claimed, to be a god! Of course the reality is always a bit more disappointing than the stories and this case was no exception. The power couldn't really make you be everywhere at once, it just granted you the ability to teleport yourself great distances in the blink of an eye and with only a thought. Still a remarkable enough gift I should say, however there were a couple of things we didn't realize about the scroll.

"You see the power was intended to be claimed by only two. One would be the sacrifice, and the other would gain all the power. Not exactly the most equitable bargain but it seems whoever created the thing wasn't all that convinced of equality's merit...

"Now since there was in fact five of us the sacrifice was still paid the same but the power, well the power was split between four of us now and was weakened in the process. Or, at least, that's what we all believe. For none of us were ever able to jump more than a relatively short distance in this way, and even when we did the power took some time to return to us before we could jump again - something we all agree wasn't supposed to happen. We did learn how to make other objects and people jump by touching them, and small objects seem easier than large objects - but I'm sorry I digress too far I think..."

He sighed. "As for the part about the reflexes, I may be giving more credit to the scroll than is due. We all trained in whatever form of combat most interested us before going after it, and in so doing gained some requisite reflexes. Several of the legends and tales regarding it mentioned undead guardians and other such challenges you see, so it seemed prudent. Personally I don't feel any godly gifts of reflexes related to the power. Perhaps Barnet was just more of a born warrior than the rest of us and so I assumed he gained some supernatural gift, when really all he gained was confidence? Either way I-"

He stopped suddenly, realizing that Alvina had closed her eyes and looked as if she was probably asleep.

In spite of his somber mood he chuckled, speaking to himself. "Normally even my sermons don't knock them out that quickly... perhaps I should take a hint." Then, arranging his own possessions for the best possible sleeping arrangement he decided to catch some shuteye himself. At their current pace he estimated that they would make Cerenis sometime before the next sunrise, and he wanted to be as rested as possible when they arrived.

His mind took some time to quiet itself however, and he found he was envious of the younger woman's quick transition. "What are you up to Barnet?" he found himself muttering quietly. "...'Old friend'..."

The endless plains gradually passed them by, and at some point sleep did finally take him. It would mark the end of the beginning, the cart trundling onwards towards the coast, and the next leg of their journey...

DarkAndar

At long last, the bumpy passage by cart came to an end when the road twisted between copses of trees, spilling into a valley sprawling with houses of clay and wood, roofed with thatch, and seaside bazaars packed with individuals from near and far and crammed with just as much variety of wares upon wood stands. The sharp tang of brine touched the air the closer one got to the harbor. There many piers stretched out into the placid waters, buildings with barnacled poles huddled in the baking sun just beside the planks. Ships flying familiar colors as well as those Alvina had no notion from whence they hailed.

A ways north of the docks, the City of Cerenis rose, its cobbled lanes becoming more pristine with each upward step. Not only were the roads cleaner, but they bore a lot less people. Those she and Father Kavik did come across were dressed in richer fabrics and even had plumage sprouting from hats whose styles Alvina thought looked rather outrageous. The buildings along the northern wall-- a natural wall of mountain stone and dizzying cliffs that overlooked the crashing waves below-- were stoutly built and looked to belong to those of noble birth or rich trader stock. Though she could not see into the gated confines, she imagined lush gardens and courtyards dotted with statuary and decorated with gables and gazebos within.

Among the fancy architecture, one majestic building caught her eye. A temple, loomed high above she and the old man. An impressive figure of stone depicting Kia gazed down on the pair of them whilst they strode between its legs, beneath arched stone to find Davis.

After Minister Kavik expressed his desire to speak with the priest, they followed a young man in white robes to a holy chamber that branched out from the main. The marble floors were immaculate-- not a speck of dust or dirt on them. She reminded herself to step up her efforts in their own temple. In a medium-sized room they found Priest Davis. He was seated in a simple (if well made) chair before an altar devoted to Kia. There were shelves lined with all manner of books. There was infact, a book on the man's lap presently. The man looked to be of an age with Kavik- perhaps a handful of years younger at the most. He was not fat, nor thin. His hair was cut short, noticeably sparse at the top of his head. Keen eyes, sharp as a hawk and blue as the sea turned to them.

"Your Holiness, Minister--" began the young man.

"Kavik! Bless thy heart! Oh it's quite alright, Brother Gabriel. The Minister and I are old friends. Come in come in. How many years has it been, old friend?"He said jovially, coming to embrace Father Kavik. "And who is this sprig of beauty that comes hither with?" He inquired, with a smile and gentlemanly bow to her.  Alvina found herself laughing and embracing the man as well. She liked him. He had an easy way about him. An infectious laugh that sprung from his face, as if he meant it.

Davis looked once more to Minister Kavik. "To what do I owe this unexpected pleasure?" he asked, and Alvina thought she saw the first shadow of doubt to slip across his brow. She would swear by Ki that Barnet had been there, then, just by that one flicker of uncertainty.

IcarusDescension

Kavik returned the man's smile. It had indeed been too long since he had visited. Even correspondence between the two of them had been sparse in many years. But in the presence of his friend's easy banter and notable charisma those years seemed to vanish instantly.

Alvina seemed to take to take well to him, and for some reason that pleased Kavik, though the woman had always been good with people just as Davis himself was. Yet just for the briefest of moments he thought he saw something change in her expression as she looked at the man. Anyone else might have missed it, but he had spent many years at their temple working alongside the acolyte. Had she seen something he had missed, or had he simply imagined it?

The younger woman was always so perceptive, and he was beginning to realize how valuable a skill that was. For all his tact and ability with words he found himself in envy of her natural talent to read people. Making a mental note to ask her about it later, he moved on before his pause could become obvious.

"Would you believe me if I said I came all this way just to see you?"

Davis smiled and clapped his friend on the shoulder. "My dear friend, you must know that I make it a point to examine all beliefs without bias and with the eyes of faith - to walk the path of light we *must* embrace optimism and hold tight to those thoughts which most warm our hearts..."

Kavik nodded, a twinkle of amusement in his eyes. "So that's a no?"

Their host's smile deepened, and the corners of his eyes crinkled with shared amusement. "It is, but I'm glad to see you all the same. Please," he gestured to a couple of unused chairs which had been pushed to various corners of the room before fetching the one in which he had been sitting. "pull up a chair and sit with me. I'm afraid standing agrees with this body of mine less and less as the years go by."

Kavik moved to grab one such chair from a corner of the room. It had a short stack of books on it, and he casually reached out to move the stack aside. At first nothing caught his eye about them, after all there were a *lot* of books in the room and the priest looked to have been in the middle of some research when they had arrived, yet as his fingers touched the books he felt a strange sensation.

It was vague, subtle. Like a tingling in his fingers but somehow more ominous in nature. The shadows in the room seemed to grow - or at least become more noticeable. It as as if suddenly each and every one of them were in some way sentient and all at once they turned eyeless gazes upon him. He flinched back, letting go of the books, and the sensation was gone in an instant.

His smile having fled, he looked down at the books with a frown and a furrowed brow. The top one looked innocent enough, it seemed to be some sort of history piece. However the one beneath it seemed much, much older. It's nondescript dark cover and spine were quite worn.

Impelled by a curiosity he could not keep at bay he moved aside the top book to reveal the older manuscript. However a closer inspection was not particularly enlightening. It's cover had something written on it, but it was in another language. Kavik was not the scholar that Davis was but years ago in their quest for the dark scroll he had studied numerous ancient texts and some histories, in an attempt to locate it, and he was pretty sure he recognized the language. His mind struggled to recall knowledge he had not used in many years...

Then Davis was there, moving over to the chair with a sudden urgency. He had been saying something, perhaps talking with Alvina, and with a start Kavik realized he hadn't been paying any attention. "Oh, forgive me, I didn't realize I'd left those there." He quickly grabbed the stack of books out from in front of Kavik, moving to place them in a more secluded corner of the room. "-No need to trouble yourself with moving my clutter," he said apologetically. "Just some research... So, tell me Kavik, how have you been these past few years -since you've been neglecting keeping in touch with your friends I note..."

Kavik studied the man, his sense of discomfort growing. Something seemed amiss about Davis' reactions. The man's smile suddenly seemed too gregarious. Rather than being irritated that Kavik had been poking around in his books he had seemed almost embarrassed -or guilty? The banter which had at first struck him as friendly now somehow seemed forced. Then again, it occurred to him his unsettling sensation upon touching the book might very well be skewing his perceptions. Maybe the other man was oblivious? After all if Davis himself had felt anything upon touching the ancient looking volume the priest had certainly hidden it well.

Clearing his throat, the minister tried to be casual in his reply. "I've been... well. Thank you. Rural life agrees with me I think. "I see *you're* still up to your neck in books." He tried to keep all suspicion out of his voice as he continued. "I noticed one them on the chair just now... something about a 'Nazim' figure? Some dusty old religion you've dug up to study I assume?" Somehow it seemed wiser for the moment not to give away that anything had seemed out of the ordinary to him about the book, although he couldn't have said why. He hoped he'd gotten the translation and pronunciation right.

Davis smiled in return, sighing as if the hobby were a boring affliction he just couldn't get himself to give up. "Well you know me! The more dust collected the more fascinated I am by it. I haven't gotten very far into that one but it doesn't seem terribly unique. Some sort of dark cult of old that worshiped an almost mirror image of your own Ki. Almost no one has heard of the religion anymore. Although the figures of Ki and Nazim seemed to have appeared at the same time and geographical region and were even -up until a certain point in history that is- often mentioned together. However that's about as interesting as it gets I'm afraid. Actually these sorts of concepts are often repeated throughout history - where there's sun worshipers there will be moon worshipers as well. Gods and devils, angels and demons, so on and so forth. Nothing remarkable."

He waved a hand as if even boring himself. "But you didn't come here to be put to sleep by one of my pet research projects. Please, tell me my friend, what can I help you with?"

Kavik wanted to frown again, but forced himself to continue smiling. Davis' response had seemed sincere enough, but at the same time there had been that sensation of almost forced casualness again and he had seemed to change the subject quickly. Was the priest really hiding something, or had this whole business with the scroll started to make Kavik paranoid? He simply couldn't be sure. Once again he found himself wishing that he could read people as well as Alvina. Silently he hoped that she was picking up more from the man's reactions than he was. However he couldn't think of a way to get an opinion out of her now without being obvious about it so he moved on again.

"Well, as it happens we're here on a little research project of our own... Tell me, have you heard anything about a buried library discovered on an island somewhere off the coast? My young acolyte here has never been off the continent and I thought if such a discovery was real it would make an excellent opportunity for her to see some of the world and try her hand at some hands on research. She has the mind for it, and it would be a shame not to pass on our passions to the next generation would it not?"

Kavik cringed inwardly. He hadn't planned to come here and lie to his friend, it had just been a spontaneous decision. As he waited for Davis' response he found himself hoping that his own reticence was born of some inner wisdom rather than a growing paranoia.

DarkAndar

She shared brief eye contact with Father Kavik. There was no doubt about it, he knew something was amiss with the priest as well. Alvina could read between the lines, in how the Minister framed his statements; purposely circumspect. He did not wish to present their hand just yet. He wanted to see if the priest would spill the beans of his own good will. Perhaps he would, at that. Alvina thought Davis to be a good man. But something had him nervous.

"Nazim," said Alvina, trying the word on her tongue. It felt evil. She did not find it hard to believe at all that if a polar opposite of Ki did exist, that it would be called such a name. Nazim. There was a taint to it. Like that foul odor that spills from a body as it decays and rigor mortis sets in. Nazim. Like a child's wailing as its mother is killed without mercy or dignity. Nazim. Like serpents that coil around a victim just before they squeeze the life out. All of those things would be of Nazim's will.

Alvina remained respectfully quiet, allowing the two older men to speak and share ideas as she listened intently. Davis was nodding his agreement. His eyes looking distant as he rested his hand on his shelf of books. "The young must carry the torch of wisdom in the end. Upon their capable shoulders will our future rest," he said in a somber tone so very different from the cheery voice he had greeted them with.

The man suddenly looked very old to Alvina as he slid a hand over his face, eyes looking weary and haunted. "Yes, I know of the island you speak of, old friend. I've known about it for quite some time," he said in a voice that deemed it more a lament than anything. He had a resigned lilt to his voice as well. "If you've any sense, you'll never bring this girl there, Kavik. It would be far better if that confounding library had never been discovered," he said with a shake of head. "When first I had news of the dark scrolls of Nazim had been uncovered, I felt a hunger to learn of the like I've never known before. And you know me, I've always been a sucker for knowledge, no matter the subject. This was different though," he said softly.

"They sent for me. To decipher the markings. To puzzle out the ancient language and make sense of it. Dark men, with faces I've never seen before. Gold was no object for them. They paid me handsomely to visit the island. The only thing they asked in return was my silence. I spent a few months there, researching. I found that it was indeed the God of Strife that was behind the texts. But I missed my children, my family. They grudgingly allowed me to return home - here. They still send me documents to study. Oh Kavik, dear friend. You mustn't go to that island, I beg of you. There are plans in motion here that none of us can stop. I've said altogether too much already. Please friend, go from here and forget all about that island."

Alvina could see there was terror in the man's eyes. Had these dark men threatened his life? Or that of his children perhaps? Was Barnet one of those dark men? Even their leader perhaps? Davis knocked a book off a shelf, which he stooped to pick up. She noticed it was the very book the priest had had in his lap upon their entry into the holy place. A folded up parchment slipped out of the book. Alvina saw it bore lines and borders as such as would be seen on a map. Before she could remark on it, there was a sudden racket just outside the door.

Alvina stood, following Davis's example. The priest's eyes went wide in fear though when he saw what came through the door. Alvina swiveled her gaze, far too slowly it seemed to her, towards the doorway. The young man in the robes that had led them to Davis earlier stumbled in. He was arguing with a tall figure, cloaked from head to toe in black material. A pale face shrouded partially in hood shoved the man aside.  "Wait just one minute! This is a holy place of Kia, you cannot just come and go unannounced," he was saying before being shoved to the marble tile.

"I said nothing! Please, do not harm my family," said Davis, mouth agape, he took a step forward.

The cloaked man did not say a word. He just pulled a crossbow from the concealing folds of his cloak and only after a second's pause to direct its point toward Davis, could a soft clicking noise be heard. Davis fell back, an arrow shaft standing out rigid in his chest, blood blossoming out from the puncture wound. He collided with a book shelf, toppling dozens of tomes as he attempted to gain purchase before sliding roughly to the floor.

Alvina screamed and knelt at Davis's side. The assassin did not smile in satisfaction. Nothing registered on his face to mark it of what he had just done. He simply ducked beneath the door frame, and was gone in a swirl of cloak. A look of terror was on the young priest as he got up from the floor. Alvina dropped her hands to her waist where her tools and herbs were. She worked as quickly as she could to tear away the robe from Davis, using it to staunch the blood as best she could before inspecting the wound, her hand slipping to the man's burning forehead. Davis's breath came in gasps of pain, choked with blood.

"I'm....sorry. Kavik......old friend. Trust me....," he said, his jaw clenched. His face had gone deathly pale. He struggled to shift his head, but turned his eyes toward the Minister. "It's....not worth it. Some knowledge.....is better left....................to...shadow," he said, his eyes fluttered as he gave a horrible groan.

Alvina could see now that the man had been mortally wounded. Perhaps even poisoned as well just in case the bolt had missed its mark. He was beyond her healing powers. Despite that knowledge, she worked furiously to pull the bolt from the man's chest. But it was lodged so very deep. Her hands slick with Davis's blood. She could see already, it was too late. Her tracing hand found no heartbeat. His chest lie still now and no breath issued from his mouth.

Davis had gone to Kia's realm.