Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Flames upon the Water (CounterfeitFish)

Started by quaggan, April 22, 2021, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CounterfeitFish

Ashton remained as he was for a bit longer, returning to the pillow he was on before once Athanasia spoke. He too felt it was getting a bit awkward, coughing slightly.

"Is that so? Very well. I shall tell you of my people, then." He cleared his throat, taking a quick drink from a small flask on his hip. Though his supplies were dwindling before he made it here, he usually never ran out of water. "Hm...what to say....how about I start at the beginning? Yes, I think that'll do. Now, we've been around for a long time. A REALLY. Long time. In fact, according to what the loremasters say-they basically keep our story alive, make sure every Va'Skree child knows our past-we've been around about as long as our kin, the Vampires have existed. A long fuckin' time, right?" As he spoke, there was a shift in the way he spoke and acted, becoming much more relaxed and casual. He still kept a semblance of formality, but he wasn't as...for lack of a better word, stuffy. Even Kaeth seemed a bit happier, occasionally flying over to the attendants or Athanasia herself.

"Anyways...we've been around for a long time. For a while, we were huge. Lots of us around, and quite a few people lived in fear of the Va'Skree. But, fate is a cruel mistress. Some villagers and mercenaries got the bravery to stand up to us. My ancestors hadn't grown fat, but they were arrogant. Then, and still now, they thought we couldn't be beaten. After all, we don't die immediately in the sun, we can tear someone's throat out with our teeth, and we can reproduce naturally, unlike my undead cousins, as I said before. But, that's besides the point. Long story short, we got cocky, and our enemies did not. They struck during the day, when we would be weaker than normal. Even though we don't die instantly, the sun is far from our friend. We were decimated...the loremasters say it was a damn bloodbath. We managed to eradicate those who stood against it, but the damage was done."

Ashton sighed, clenching his fist. He was one man, but like his brothers and sisters, he was arrogant. He believed that if he was there, if his ancestors had just a few more soldiers, they would've crushed the resistance. Even though the thought was folly, he still believed it. Relaxing once more, he went back to his story. "Now, we're just a shadow of our former selves. We hide in abandoned ruins or castles, but make no mistake. We have been weakened, but we are still a formidable threat. Plus, I am sure that at least some of our cousins would come to our aid, if we were attacked." The last line or two may have come off as a threat to some, but Ashton was only stating facts. And, he didn't mind giving up some of their secrets, since they were payment for shelter. "And, that's it. All that I can tell you without isolating myself from my family, that is. I hope that works, at least in terms of my people."

quaggan

Athanasia tucked her tail in closer as she listened. The Va'Skree sounded so interesting, powerful and ancient. So unlike the boring humans and occasional halflings or elves that passed by Toledo.

The attendants divided their attention between Ashton's tale and Kaeth. They followed the bird's flight with their eyes, tensing slightly whenever he passed by - although whether they were hoping he'd land on their shoulder and let them pet him, or that he'd keep circling and leave them be, it was impossible to say.

"This is so unfair!" Athanasia exclaimed, her tail whipping up in emphasis. "Your people were a great ancient race, to have them fall to just some rebellion is horrible!"

She moved in closer, accidentally knocking over her carafe with water. She quickly pulled her tail away, frowning. Her gaze caught Ashton's own water flask. Oh, this was a good opportunity, she should offer him some more water. She snapped her fingers at one of the attendants, flaring the flame nearby just to make sure she had her attention. The girl flinched, her eyes blinking away from Kaeth's flight path. "Go fetch us some more water" she demanded, before turning her attention back to her guest. "Before embarking on your journey again, you can refill your flask at the well in the village" she added. She didn't know if Ashton had the chance to see the well yet.

CounterfeitFish

The large bird circled around once more, his jet-black eyes surveying the room. He cried out once more, causing Ashton to look up at him in minor annoyance. "Eh, shut up, Kaeth. I can't tell that one, this is a goddess, not some lady in a tavern!" Sighing, he looked back at Athanasia. "Apologies, he can be a bit of an irritation at times. He's a great friend, though." He returned to silence, at least until the goddess spoke again. "As I said, fate can be cruel at times. We were powerful, but we had to fall eventually. I'm just lucky that we weren't wiped out, otherwise I wouldn't be here to tell you about it! Heh...."

Ashton jumped in his seat when the carafe was knocked over, startled by it. He quickly collected himself, hoping that Athanasia had not noticed. Even though he no longer considered her a stranger, he did not want to embarrass himself in front of the goddess.

"My thanks. I haven't gotten around to finding it yet, but I'm sure I'll come across it before I leave. So....what else do you want to know about?" He only had a few more stories left, but he was going to do his best to make them interesting.

quaggan

"What interesting places have you visited on your journey?" Athanasia asked. "If you can't tell me more about your people, I'll hear about your adventures."

The attendant who didn't get send off to fetch water looked intrigued, his entire body tensing as if trying to better hear. Having spent his entire life since birth in a small village by the wood did little to dampen the yearning for more.

CounterfeitFish

"Interesting places, hm? I haven't been very far, but there are a couple of areas that I thought were nice." Ashton noticed the other attendant's actions, a smirk appearing on the vampire's face. He spoke a little bit louder, making sure the lad could hear him. "I'll tell you about the more interesting ones. Essyrn and Hyoite."

"Now, Essyrn is, in my opinion, a rather dreadful place to live, all of that desert heat and...sunlight. However, it has many things for the curious wanderer, as I have found out. The desert goes on for miles in every direction, and the towns themselves are quite nice. Plenty of things for a traveller to do, y'know? Y'know, the first time I went there, someone tried to pick my pocket. Probably thought I was some rich fool. Now, imagine the look on his face when he found out that not only were my pockets empty, I had noticed him during the attempt! I broke his fingers and sent him away. But, I didn't want to repeat the process, so I haven't gone back since then."

Whenever he went into towns, bad things seemed to happen to him. Maybe it was bad luck, maybe people just didn't like him. Whatever it was, it usually kept Ashton away from cities unless he had no other choice.

"What's next...oh, Hyoite. Almost the exact opposite of Essyrn, at least in terms of the weather. It is especially cold there, probably because it is in the middle of a frozen tundra. But, I never minded the cold. I could probably live there, if I ever wanted to stop travelling. There are some warmer places though, which I think is nice. Some people may not like it, but I feel like it was a wonderful place to be in. Cold or not, it has a certain beauty to it, one that most people don't see. That's just my opinion, though, so take it as you will."

He didn't have any super personal stories about Hyoite, mostly because he didn't spend much time there. He lingered in the tundra for a week or two, then went on travelling. But, he figured that Athanasia and her attendants would probably enjoy hearing about it. At least he was able to tell her about Essyrn, which hopefully made up for it.

"So...yeah. I haven't been to a lot of places, but I thought those two were nice."

quaggan

Athanasia listened, her attention rapt and her mind awash with colourful images conjured by Ashton's words. There were seasons here at Toledo; some months were warmer or colder than the others, and weather seemed to follow some patterns her worshippers were familiar with. She didn't know or care much for why or when it rained, or even the times fog descended and shrouded the village in blindness. The peasants appeared to have some way of anticipating these, but she's never bothered to ask. But to think there were places where it was hotter than summer, or colder than during rain season... She would not want to live there!

"I think if I had to choose, I would pick Hyoite, too" she decided. "My power over fire would keep me warm."

The bird's flight took him across her field of vision as a question sprang into her mind. "What about Kaeth?" she asked. "Is he also immune to the cold?"

CounterfeitFish

"Yes...I'd imagine it would be better than Essyrn." He too had experienced the seasons, and by far his favorited were fall and winter. The colder parts of the year were always more pleasant, at least to him.

"Hm? Oh, I would imagine so. In fact, Kaeth never seemed to be bothered by the temperature, cold or otherwise. I suppose that as my familiar, he has a few magical qualities." The large bird cawed once more, confirming what he said.

"If I may be so bold, could you tell me a bit about yourself? I would imagine that as a goddess, you must have legends and stories about you." However, if you do not want to answer, I don't mind. I just wanted to ask while I had the chance."

quaggan

A pleased smile graced the goddess's face; there were few subjects she liked to discuss more than her divine self. "There verily are! What legend shall I begin with..."

As she plumbed the depths of her memory for a suitably awe-inspiring tale, the door to her shrine creaked open. She glared, ready to address the peon that dared interrupt the audience, but it was just the attendant she's sent earlier to get water. The girl shrank back, almost spilling the carafe's contents. "Enter" Athanasia allowed. The attendant moved in gratefully, setting the vessel down, then returned to her original place at the doorway.

Where were they? Oh yes, she was about to tell the visitors a story in return. "I shall recite the legend of how I came to be the goddess of Toledo" she decided. "It happened almost a year ago, on a night that begun brighter than a day but was soon blanketed with a long and dark rain. The moon was bright crimson, a portent of what was to come."

"It was then that one of the villagers attempted a foolish quest to seek out a dragon's egg to bond with the hatchling and become its rider. She climbed the Terrin Mountains and sought the dragon's cave, while offering prayers to the spirits to aid her."

She paused for effect, while reaching for the carafe to take a drink of water. "The girl reached the cave and begun her search. To her surprise, she found neither the eggs nor the great wyrm, but a slumbering being. She immediately recognized my nature by the colour of my scales and the warmth I held despite the peaks' cold. It was her decision to invite me to the village, though she not yet knew truly who she was dealing with. I accepted her offer."

"As we descended, the would-be dragonrider found that her prayers could only protect her so far. Cold rain fell, making the stone slippery and precarious. She fell and broke her leg - a fate that would leave her for dead, were she alone in the mountains. She begged my aid, and I chose to save her. I called upon my power over flame to conjure a fire that no rain could extinguished, and that blazed strong enough to be seen from the village she left. And so the rest came, just in time to find her and carry her down the mountain to the village healer."

"As she told everyone what happened, they realized it was through providence of the spirits that I was sent to them. They would have lost one of their own, were I not there to accompany her and to signal them for help. It was the force of destiny at work. And so they've chosen to enshrine me here as their goddess, to protect their village and bestow blessings upon them."

CounterfeitFish

Ashton seemed completely entranced by this tale, finding it to be the most interesting thing in at least a year or two. He had seen and heard some things before, but honestly, he hasn't been around as much as he wished. So, the story that the goddess was telling was pretty damn cool.

The vampire turned to the attendant for but a moment, slightly inclining his head. He acknowledged her presence, but nothing more. Right now, Athanasia was more important.

From time to time, Ashton would nod or similarly show he was paying attention to the story. After it finished, he gave a few small claps, a large smile on his face. "That was a damn good story! Really, the best one I've heard in some time! Thank you, Athanasia."

"I must say, I have hear tales of the dragonriders of Adela, but I thought they were just that: tales. It seems like I was wrong...you must be an extremely powerful being, to be known as a goddess! I can certainly understand why your people revere you so."

Kaeth began to caw incessantly at Ashton, occasionally giving him a small peck. The vampire waved his familiar away, taking a moment to fix his hair, which had been ruined by the bird. "Alright, alright, I hear you! Impatient little blighter..." After getting Kaeth to calm down, Ashton turned back to the goddess. "Athanasia, I must apologize for the rudeness of my companion. He won't leave me alone unless I ask, though. He wishes to know when the meat will be brought here." Ashton glared at his avian companion, looking thoroughly irritated. "There, are you happy now?"

quaggan

Oh, how she loved to bask in the rightful adulation! Athanasia loved telling this story, watching awe light up the faces of the audience. Gods truly did thrive on prayers and worship. It was the best part about being visited by new travelers - some of her villagers were starting to get accustomed to stories of her majesty, but outsiders never did.

"If you wish to see dragonriders, look up" she advised him. "You may get lucky and see some in flight. I had the opportunity several times, myself, but I chose not to call out to them."

The crow cawed, and Athanasia inclined her head, curious. Did he have a question, or something to say? When Ashton translated, the goddess couldn't stop an indulgent smile. Ah, the concerns of flesh.

Then her belly rumbled.

She motioned at one of the attendants, who hurried to answer. "It should be arriving soon." The girl moved closer to the door and sniffed the air. "Oh, I think it's on the way!"

Spoiler
Feel free to have the long-awaited food arrive in your post :D
[close]

CounterfeitFish

"I see. My, I feel a bit foolish...to think that the dragonriders were above me, and I didn't even think of looking up...no matter. I will get my chance another time." Ashton's gaze snapped to the attendant near the door, a large smile appearing on his face. At last, the food had arrived.

He got a strange glint in his eye, though it quickly vanished. He had to keep himself under control, at least until the meat was here. And, after a few moments, it arrived! The vampire licked his lips in anticipation, waiting for the food to be distributed.

After he had been served, Ashton thanked the goddess and the attendant, the smile still remaining. "Thank you for the meal. I look forward to it..." Then, seemingly out of nowhere, he snapped. In stark contrast to his earlier behavior, this was almost animal-like. His sharp teeth easily ripped apart the flesh of whatever poor animal had been cooked. Some of the meat was given to Kaeth, who proceeded to dig into his own meal. Their meat was quickly devoured by the two, ending their vicious display.

After his meat was gone, the man seemed to come to his senses, shaking his head slightly. Ashton realized what had happened, and embarrassment appeared on his face for but a moment. "My apologies, Athanasia. I am sorry you had to see that. It has been far too long since I have had a proper meal, and I tend to get quite....savage when I haven't eaten in a while. It was truly amazing, though."

The meat had sated the pair's hunger, though it was less so for the vampire. It wasn't human flesh, but it would suffice for now. His voice lowered somewhat as he began to think aloud. "Yes...amazing food....not my preferred meat, but I doubt I could dine upon your citizens...it works, though."

quaggan

The attendants were staring. One even murmured something too faint for Athanasia's ears to catch. She glared at the girl, shutting her up. She would not have her servants comment on her guests! Neither Kaeth nor Ashton have done anything objectionable - it was the nature of mortals to require food. And she doubted that beings of great power, such as dragons or mighty beasts, bothered to feed in a manner the lessers would find appealing.

Athanasia glanced back at her guests. Fortunately, it seemed that the attendants' rudeness did not affect them overmuch. She still noticed that Ashton was muttering something too quiet for her to catch and hurried to make up for the breach of etiquette. "I assure you, my servants will be properly punished for their rude staring."

CounterfeitFish

Affect them? No, not really. Ashton didn't even notice the attendants actions, though Kaeth did. Upon hearing Athanasia's words, the vampire chuckled. "Stare if you wish, it doesn't bother me. I do not think they need to be punished, though I will not stop you if you deem it necessary." Ashton really did not mind if they were staring at him. In fact, he seemed to enjoy the attention! He was rather vain, after all.

"I must thank you once more for your hospitality, O Goddess. Few people have been as kind as you." He was silent for a few moments, snatching a small scrap of meat that was left over from his meal. Popping it into his mouth, he savored the rich flavors contained within it. "Truly delectable...but, all good things must end eventually. Athanasia, is there anything else you require? My stories may be waning, but I will do whatever I can to repay you."
------------
OOC STUFF: Sorry for the wait!

quaggan

It was a great day. Not only did Athanasia hear so many wondrous tales about the world outside, but also earned an oath from an exciting new person! She stayed at the shrine, listening raptly to what Ashton had to tell. When she grew hungry, she had the attendants bring her some food, and so the day has passed. No villagers showed up to request her blessing - a good thing for once. Most of the time, she enjoyed times to exercise her power, but that day she wanted no interruptions.

She did not see the sun from beyond the shrine walls, but the attendants at the door noticed the change in the light outside. When refilling the water, one of her people requested permission to speak - and, as it was time for a break in stories, she granted it.

"It is getting late, Mistress of the Crimson Flame" the boy reported. "Night is falling and it shall be time soon for us to leave. Oh- is Master Ashton going to spend the night?"

CounterfeitFish

Yes, the day was truly amazing. As the hours passed by, Ashton was able to eat, drink and enjoy the company of a goddess--something he never thought would happen on a day like this. Whether he was telling the stories or hearing one, the vampire was having a great time. But, all good things must end eventually.

Once the attendant mentioned the time, the vampire looked outside, somewhat disappointed. "Nighttime already? That is too bad...I was having such a good time, too..." Rising from the rather comfortable pillow, he stretched, brushing a speck of dust from his clothes. Kaeth had been flying around for a bit, but perched on Ashton's shoulder after he finished standing. His preparations complete, the man bowed to Athanasia.

"Unfortunately, I must take my leave. I asked for a place to rest, and you have granted that. Now would be the best time for me to leave, before the sun comes out once more. However, I will be sure to visit again in the future. Perhaps when I have more tales to tell, hm?"

quaggan

Athanasia accepted Ashton's response instinctively, without even raising an eyebrow. The attendants appeared worried, fools. They wouldn't understand - humans were a weak people, lacking the fangs, claws and might of greater creatures like herself and the .

"Then go with my blessing. And I would welcome your company in the future, should your path bring you to my domain again."

CounterfeitFish

The vampire nodded one final time, acknowledging Athanasia's words. He would come back to this place in the future, he was sure of it. It may be in several months, or even several decades. However, he would be back. After all, the village was far too nice to only visit once.

Before he left the shrine, Ashton removed a golden ring from his finger, tossing it to one of the attendants. It was highly polished, bearing the visage of a grinning skull with small rubies embedded within the eye sockets. The vampire did not want to part with the trinket, but chose to leave it as a parting gift for the goddess.

"Farewell, O Goddess. May we meet again another time." Finally exiting the shrine, Ashton slipped away into the night.

Spoiler
At last, it is over! For Ashton, at least. I figured now would probably be the best time to end it, at least in my opinion. Thanks for the thread, I had a lot of fun writing with ya!
[close]