Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play
Main Menu

Book of Stars

Started by visualspice, August 19, 2023, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

Kahzeem seemed to deflate some. After all of his excitement, the bluster was gone.

"Mirage? " He almost seemed to sneer. "The title itself implies the woman could be fictitious in nature.  In fact.. are you sure you're translating these right? We're paying you a handsome some for you to lie to us."

Muhtah gave his partner a look. Why was he goading this man? They needed answers, not to chase him off!

"In your life of scholar," Muhtah cut in. "Have you run across anything similar as she? Something we could compare this creature of legend to?"

Kahzeem gave him a look, but stilled his tongue. He wanted to say more over the fact but... Muhtah, he dare admitt, actually asked a valid point.

But then a sudden loud crash in the back had both men jumping to their feet in alarm. And the sound..the men paled..

A hippo was inside the tent!
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

Nonplussed by the allegations, Derry couldn't help but raise a brow in confusion, and lean backward in the seat he'd taken, his gaze shifting from the table to his benefactor-- a distinctly sharp, yet not inherently threatening edge to the glimmer of his eyes as he did so. It was almost as if, without words, he meant to say "A-ha".

"Lying? It almost sounds like you know something about her that I don't." He coyly noted, smiling a little. He wasn't stupid. Of course they knew something he didn't. Hell, with the stories his mother and father had told him in years past, he wouldn't be surprised if they literally had this 'star-bodied woman' captive somewhere. But the truth of the matter was that despite that, Derry didn't particularly care enough to pry-- She could be a god bound in chains for all he cared if it meant he got paid, which, yeah-- he was being paid.

Looking back at Muhta, Derry continued. "Of what I've read here so far? Sure, there's plenty of stories with similar themes-- specific to Essyrn, you've heard of the spirits called 'Djiini', I'm guessing? Either way-- Djinni tend to behave the same way from what I've been taught, but the key difference is in the art. See, a Djinni can take any number of forms-- often relatively human, but not limited to them. This Mirage-woman, or Star-bodied woman, whatever you prefer-- She's depicted the exact same in all of the drawings and stories that I've seen so far here. Glass-like skin with golden lips and eyes, thick, dark, float-y hair. People saw this thing-- often, I'd imagine. In fact--"

He would've loved to wax practical a little while longer, but the sounds of rough tumbles in the near darkness caused every hair on Derry's body to stand-- and so too did he, his danger senses tingling. His eyes narrowed, his legs tensed, and he contemplated the fastest way out of and away from the tent as the sounds continued.

"...Either of you wanna explain that?"

visualspice

Muhtah and Kah'zeem exchanged looks. 

"Likely an animal in the tent!" Kah'zeem hissed. "And likely a hippo." He swore through his teeth."Come, come. It is not safe here we should-"  but as the men began to hastily exit the tent- they halted abruptly. 

For right before them was a crocodile.

Muhtah swore and scrambled back inside.

"What are you doing!?" Kah'zeem snapped, stumbling after his partner. "You will lead Teo beasts in here! The creature.."

"Do you want her eaten by either beast?" Muhtah snapped in reply. Before he could dash off, Kah'zeem snatched him by the arm.

"And do you want to be eaten by the beasts!? " what madness was this!?

But of course, they were trapped between one potential hippo, who knocked over more shelving and parts of the tent in back...

And a crocodile who was blocking their way out.
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Hyacinthus

A bead of sweat dropped from Derry's brow in exasperation moreso than fear. Whatever hesitations or dread he felt stifled by were instantly drowned out by the bumblings of his two benefactors as they stumbled over each other in an attempt to escape. He might've even found the situation-- trapped on one side by a hippo, the other by a croc-- a little amusing if the situation wasn't so potentially grave. Hakeshna's tits, where were the guards? How did they even end up in this situation? And where was his hazard pay-- he didn't sign up for danger in the first place, damn it!

"Calm down, both of you-- Or at least one of you." Derry asked more than he demanded, moving from sitting in his chair to sitting atop the table he'd been studying at, the gold stowed away properly by now. He needed at least one of them on his side if they were going to survive a potential hippo attack, and was willing to play the mediator if needed. Granted, there was a fun little slip-up out of the ever-so-fallible Muhtah as they fretted over one another, but Derry decided not to capitalize on it-- primarily because at the moment, more than anything, he was concerned about his own wellbeing, not 'her's'. Maybe 'her' should've found better company than the tweedle scum and tweedle scummier.

Muhtah was his favorite, naturally.

"If that's a hippo back there, best grab those lights. Unless it's on a rampage for some reason, you should be able to scare it off with a flash to the eyes. They hate that when they're rummaging about for food." He explained, though he himself didn't move from the table-seat he'd taken.

...Rightly so, in his mind. Like hell was he going to do it, when he was the guest here.

visualspice

Muhtah obliged, fumbling to grab an oil lamp. Once he had it he twisted the ornamented nob that fed more length if the wick into the glass shade.  With more wick to ignite, the lamp flared more brightly and the stout man shoved it in the direction of the hippopotamus. 

The back of the tent was soon bathed in lamp light, which flooded out the darkness, except where it clung to in heavy recesses of the room. And as Muhtah and Kah'zeem's eyes adjusted, they watched in horror as the beady eyes of the hippopotamus guided its plump body right into an oversized cage that had once been draped in a heavy cloth.  But now the cloth got entangled on the beast and while the hippopotamus was attempted to back away from the source of light- he pulled tye heavy sheet clean off to reveal the dark shape of a woman whose twilight body glittered against the lamp light.  In the moment, it was hard to tell if she were real or not- until the edge of the clothe got caught and with the weight of the hippo who was attempting to escape- her cage came crashing into a nearby shelving unit...

And soon there was a domino affect of one shelf falling into another, which threatened to collapse the whole building!

Hyacinthus

Oh, Shah.

Derry frowned as he watched the results of Muhtah's approach, having managed to somehow, some way, make things even worse than they already were. There was a crocodile behind them. There was a disoriented hippo before them. And now, with the havoc that said disoriented hippo was causing, the entire makeshift structure they were trapped in threatened to come apart... Just great.

What made things worse (or at least more complicated) was the fact that in its rampage, the hippo had unveiled what Derry had long-since assumed to have already been the case-- the fact that he was being played by his two 'employers'. "Either of you want to explain that?" He once more asked from atop the table, gesturing to the fallen cage-- and more specifically, the glass-like woman trapped within it.

What do you know. A 'mirage-like woman', with a 'body of stars'. Who could've seen that coming...

At present, however, Derry didn't have time to care. As the building came down around them, he questioned how sturdy the table would continue to be-- he figured it wouldn't survive a tipped over shelf, but he was confident that if the roofing planks began to tumble, he could hide under it for long enough to not be crushed... and the chaos should theoretically ward off the crocodile. Muhtah would have to figure something out for himself-- Kah'zeem and the caged woman as well, he supposed. He had to prioritize his survival at the moment.

visualspice

The whole place settled into a chaotic pile swelling in dust. Indeed, the whole collapse frightened off both hippo and crocodile, but at what cost? The entire ramshackle of a place was now a lumpy mess, and there- within the gilded cage, the woman moved around like a panicked bird.

Muhtah was no where to be seen, but Kah'zeem groaned as it appeared he was caught in the mess around the cage. His leg was pinned beneath something and he was yowling and frantically trying to get the heavy shelf off. 

Hyacinthus

Dust and sand began to settle into their proper place as Derry, with a bead of sweat and a thoroughly accelerated heartrate, finally deemed it safe to descend from his table. What a mess; The once-somewhat organized den of documents and oddities now looked as though a herd had rampaged through it-- though at the very least, he was thankful that the crocodile and hippo were both gone.

That just left him... and Kah'zeem... and the star-bodied lady. From what he could tell, neither was going anywhere anytime soon; Whatever her situation was, the transparent woman in the cage didn't even seem capable of escaping her own constraints, much less harming him. Meanwhile, Kah'zeem... well, he wasn't doing so hot. He'd probably need a bit of medical help after this, if he didn't get that shelf off of him soon.

...Which, to Derry, sounded like an opportunity.

"Hi! Hi there." Gingerly, he walked over to the fallen man, making sure to stay far enough away that Kah'zeem couldn't get his hands on him. Why? Because he was probably about to piss him off. Just a little. "You, uh... don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, so I figured this was as good a time as any for us to have a chat about the rest of my pay. Seeing as I seem to have found your star-bodied woman you were searching for." He smiled brightly, knowing how much of a little shit he was being in the moment, while rubbing his thumb, middle and index fingers together-- the almost universal sign for money.

Beneath the smile, Derry was fuming. He was going to extort every copper out of this lying asshole, and then, MAYBE he'd consider helping him.

visualspice

Kah'zeem merely stared up at Derry, gaping. Then he growled. 

"For starters, my good man," he said through clenched teeth, trying to remain as professional as he could- all things considered..
 And flashed him a surly smile. "We could not release our secrets at the beginning of this contract. Surely you, a scholar of all things, ought to understand why we would keep such a being with held."

As he spoke, the woman clung to the bars of the cage, eyes affixed upon Derry. He was new. Maybe new man could help! He was smiling. Humans smiled when friendly, did they not?

Her eyes implored him, as did the attempt at garbled words that came out of her mouth. The only thing she could somehow cohesively form together of the common tongue.. was the word..

"Help."

And as she trembled, she managed to add another word.. in attempts to try their tongue. "P.. please... halp?"

Hyacinthus

Oh, Derry played his part up as best he could. As Kah'zeem attempted, desperately mind you, to explain the very rational and completely understandable reasons behind why he lied and gaslit Derry for the past few hours, Derry nodded with compassion and understanding, giving the vague "Ah" or "Mhm" every so often through his words. When he finished, the young man gave one final nod, opened his mouth to speak, but found himself interrupted-- this time not by a crocodile, or a hippo, but surprisingly by the translucent woman locked away in the cage-- a cry for help.

Or an attempt at one, at least.

"No, yeah, I can completely relate. I completely understand how absolutely disastrous it would be," He began, slowly walking closer now toward the cage, stopping just short of it in similar fashion to how he'd done Kah'zeem a few moments ago, "If such a being were to, I dunno, somehow escape after everything you've done to keep her, um-- safe and secure, surely!" He kindly narrated, feeling quite good about the conversation, all things considered.

"Man. Imagine how much you'd lose if something like that were to happen... probably just a small fortune... or at least a couple hundred gold..." He patronizingly pondered, putting his hand to his chin to emphasize just how deeply he was pondering the worth of keeping this caged-up creature... well, caged-up.

visualspice

Kah'zeem visibly paled. Surely this man wouldn't...
But then again...

"S..surely you're still on the market for a good bargain, my friend!" The man went on, hoping his nervousness wasn't apparent. "Clearly your partnership and value has doubled on pay! Doubled to guarantee my own safety and that of our stat bodied woman friend."

Muhtah was on his own in this. Atleast for now. Where did the damn fold go anyways?! He could really use the back up...
But Muhtah was always useless or slow on these kinds of things.. how thoughtless! Leaving Kah'zeem to sweat!

Hyacinthus

Poor Kah'zeem. Not.

Derry smelled blood in the water-- figuring that he was onto something with the caged woman, he crossed his arms, and began to ponder deeply upon the meaning of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in response to Kah'zeem's words... Only to shrug afterwards.

"Double? That does sound enticing... but come now, I wouldn't want to, I dunno... rob you blind or anything."

Yes he would.

"I mean, I can't imagine you can afford to double our agreement, right?"

Of course he could.

"You already parted with a decent fee of gold earlier... but I suppose if you reeeeeeeally don't mind doubling it, and you can actually prove you're good for it... Oh, hey! Completely unrelated note, is that a lock on the cage, there? I've seen those before, for hosting animals-- I'm actually pretty good at picking those locks, did you know? Wanna see how fast I can?" He asked with child-like innocence, taking a threateningly closer look at the lock on the strange woman's cage.

visualspice

Kah'zeem's jaw dropped and the man paled further.

"Do not let her escape!" He shrieked, panicking but he was still pinned as he was. "That woman is the discovery of a lifetime!"

And while the man floundered, the starry woman continued to keep her eyes locked upon Derry, hands clutching the bars of her cage as it seemed she were pouting.

Would this man 'halp' her?

Hyacinthus

"Whoa! That outburst! Good grief, you scared me a little there. You almost sounded worried for a minute, honestly!" Derry exaggeratedly responded, doing a little yelp and a slight jump, like something out of a children's picture book. Looking back at Kah'zeem now, he straightened the collar of his long coat a bit-- it had gotten a little disheveled in the chaos earlier-- before shrugging. "I just wanted to see how fast I could unlock it... But oh well."

Looking around, he maintained his position near the cage, disregarding the looks from both captive parties as he considered where, oh where the bumbling brothers kept the rest of their funds. "Alright, I'm all-in, partner! Since I'm on the clock, as it were-- it only makes sense that I take my cut of this deal up front, yes?" He happily explained, eyeing the the bookshelves around the collapsed tent space. "These sorts of agreements are built on trust, after all-- You trust me to get that bookshelf off of you... I trust you to... have not been lying about being able to double my pay..." He explained, gesturing with his hands as if weighing the options between the two.

As if it was such a hard thing to consider.

visualspice

Kah'zeem paled.

"Surely you wouldn't think I'd cheat a hero who is offering to help me out. And as far the money... yes, yes you'll have it. Just... a little.. uh.. assistance to help me out?"

And somewhere else... Muht'ah could be heard giving a grown.

Damn him! Useless as always!

Hyacinthus

Sigh. This guy...

"You, cheat me? Of course not..."

The sarcasm in Derry's voice was so thick that it was a wonder he was able to speech without choking on it. Turning back toward the locked cage-- and more specifically the lock-- he knelt down once again, taking the lock in his hands. "You'd never, I dunno... Stall for time, for example-- to try to get out of paying me proper for my help..." He noted, as he reached into his coat's pocket, and pulled out a small leather satchel of thin, precise-looking pieces of metal.

"That would just be... man, can you imagine if you did that? I sure can't." He seriously and empathetically explained while slotting two of the pieces of metal into the lock's keyhole.

Mind, Derry had not vested interest in the star-bodied woman. He had no real reason to save her-- no real reward to expect from it either. But Kah'zeem had all but pissed him off at this point, so really, it was less her he was saving and more his own sanity. "Because you're such an upstanding guy, I tell you-- OH NO, OH GOSH, MY GOODNESS! HOW ON EARTH-- MY LOCKPICK AND RAKE JUST HAPPENED TO SLIP OUT OF MY POCKET AND THEIR SATCHEL, AND RIGHT INTO THIS LOCK HERE-- OH THE HUMANITY."

Truly, one of the most... predicaments of all time. Truly.

*Click*

The iron lock fell to the ground below, as the frame of the door shifted a little-- no longer held in place entirely by the restraint. Before long, the cage door slowly slid open of it's own accord. "No worries, perfectly fixable. I can put the lock back on, partner. Anyway-- what were we talking about? Doubling my pay, or something?"

visualspice

Due to the nature of gravity- and it was not exactly something she was accustomed to- the moment the cage door appeared open to the woman her eyes widened and she pressed her weight against it- and since the cage was already on its side and the door facing more down than across- a soft yelp escaped the starry woman's mouth as she fell bodily from the opening door- which likely struck Derry as it opened- before she herself- fell completely into him.

Her starry body sway around him in a mess like the night sky, long hair swirling about as if beneath waters- and she? She continued to flounder , thin limbs getting tangled into Derry as she attempted to move.

Hyacinthus

Well, this was getting nowhere fast. Derry couldn't tell if his 'dearest buddy' Kah'zeem was the master of stalling, or simply in too much pain under that bookshelf to think straight. Whichever was the case, he wasn't giving Derry anything to work with— or to work FOR. Shame, that, honestly, because if nothing else, Derry was was an absolute and utter believer in helping those who needed help. If they could afford it.

"Alright, well while you figure that out, I'm going to go have a look around for Muht— ow!"

The young man's head was in the right place about checking in on the missing man, but his eyes, unfortunately, weren't— preoccupied as he was chatting with Kah'zeem, he didn't notice the precarious weight that the captive audience behind him had placed on the now unlocked cage door until it had slammed into him, knocking him down— and the lass tumbling down onto him in turn.

This was a problem for two reasons— one, ow. Two, Derry, as cool-headed as he typically was, wasn't a chick magnet— on the contrary, he wasn't used to being around women—at least, at this proximity— at all. Unfortunately, his panic response to embarrassment wasn't to hilariously make things worse, but to attempt exerting control over a situation. And so, heart slightly racing, he quickly shifted his body enough to get a physical hold of the strange woman, before holding her at arm's length by the shoulders and forcing the two of them to untangle. "Stop. Sit. Stay. Good grief..." He practically ordered, before letting go of the mystery woman and standing again. "Where was I... Right. I'm going to have a look around for Muht'ah, while you try your best to remember where the rest of my pay is, m'kay?"

Never one to stray far from his goal, this guy...

visualspice

This happened so quickly- though as she floundered- the one she floundered upon- took the situation under control and soon the woman was free. And just the sensation itself made her react, the golden stars inside her body glowing much brighter at her own elation as she put out her arms and-

Suddenly took off, in a hop- kind of a run- the movement was odd to say the least- she was acting as if swimming almost but she just moved like any other ordinary person upon land-

Until of course- the woman's foot found purchase of something and she fell clean out of the tent and into the desert sands.

And it was here she froze, eyes widening at ehe mesmerizing glow of the great city of Essryn that lined the horizon.

By the skies and stars....

What a beautiful sight!

By now, Kah'zeem was frantically attempting to rise.

"M.. m.. Muh-tah!" He exclaimed. Where was that idiot!? "The woman.. she escapes!"

Hyacinthus

The woman escapes, indeed. Derry had only taken his eyes off of her for a few seconds, but in those few seconds alone she was off and about, running through and out of the tent like a child let off it's leash-- which is completely normal behavior. Derry might not have even noticed the fact had Kah'zeem not so desperately cried out for her. He was, after all, too busy trying to peer through the proverbial darkness for Muht'ah, who'd gone suspiciously silent since the collapse of the tent's interior. "Did he get eaten by the hippo?" He questioned aloud, oblivious to how terrible of a fate he'd just suggested about the poor man; Or rather, nonplussed at leased.

He responded to neither Derry's inquiry nor Kah'zeem's screams. Odd. "Maybe he got eaten by the hippo." Somehow, the second time Derry suggested such a grim fate for the man, it was even more carefree than the first. With a shrug, he turned his gaze toward the tent's entrance, where the strange woman stood star-struck just barely beyond the threshold of the entrance. Any further, he figured, and she was likely going to draw a few eyes-- especially given how bright she shown now.

"...Anyway, so-- babysitting wasn't in the terms of the contract, right? And while I figure you probably didn't THINK you'd need a babysitter, I have to tell you-- When it comes to babysitting, you cannot hope to beat me in a babysitting-off. I am simply the best there is. THAT SAID," He continued, eyes innocently poking around the room as if he weren't extorting Kah'zeem further, "If you happened to be in need of a babysitter-- and had the coin available somewhere to hire one within the next few seconds..."