Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Family Ties (Dauphin DaGlobster)

Started by DragonSong, November 03, 2016, 01:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

@Dauphin DaGlobster

"You sure I shouldn't come with you?"

Bree rolled her eyes at her brother as she pulled her hair back into a messy bun and made sure her bow string was taut. "Yes, Tani, I'm sure." The young man crinkled his nose at the hated nickname and she smirked. "Look, you took watch all last night- you're exhausted. Get some rest, I'll be back in an hour."

She glanced around as she spoke, once again making sure that their chosen place of camp was safe enough that she wouldn't have to worry about Katahn while she was hunting. The tall grasses sheltered a thin band of water that could barely be called a stream, and one of the rare trees that dotted the plain shaded the area. She nodded to herself, satisfied; as long as he didn't make a spectacle of himself, he'd be fine.

Katahn huffed as she ushered him into a bedroll, back hooves shifting when she raised her head to look around again. "Alright. Back soon," she told him with a quick nod, and he waved her off.

Rolling her eyes at him again, Bree set off at a steady trot, getting enough distance from their makeshift camp that the local wildlife hopefully wouldn't be suspicious. She kept her bow at the ready, an arrow nocked to the string.

They'd been traveling through the plains for nearly seven days now, and she'd learned that the leaping, deer-like creatures that commonly seemed to call this place home were quick little devils. If Ka wanted anything to eat, she had to shoot fast and pray her aim was true, or she'd spook off an entire herd.

Her hoofbeats slowed to silence and she awkwardly crouched, dipping her human half into the grass as she spotted something moving. She was just too big to be truly stealthy, but luckily her speed tended to make up for it.

Her eyes lit on a mousy brown hide and she slowly raised her bow, taking aim. Just a few...more...steps...

A sudden shout ripped through the air and her prey balked, shooting off into the grass along with the rest of its herd. Bree reared back, startled, eyes wide.

Ka. That was Ka. Something had startled him, or- oh gods forbid. She whirled and took off back toward their camp, kicking up clods of earth in her haste to get back to her brother.

DaGlobster

Dehak had tracked his prey for nearly a day, and was returning to camp disappointed. Not angry, just disappointed that he'd lost a toy. He glanced down at the semi-fresh wound on his side, the bleeding having stopped around half a day ago.

She'd gotten the drop on him, and with one of his own damn trophies, too. Not only that, but disappearing seemed to be one of her talents as well. Following her trail had led him to nothing but a bloody patch of grass and an abrupt end to the path she'd carved through the brush. 

He was just about ready to start galloping back to camp when he spotted a small fire, barely visible with the waning afternoon light.

He was upon the position without a moment's hesitation, galloping up, thinking he'd found his toy yet again, leveling the point of his hammer at the human sitting at the fire, who shouted in surprise. The fact that it was a man's voice didn't bother him. Instead of his toy, he'd found something else to keep him occupied. Some kind of weedy pretty boy.

"You lost, human?" Dehak growled, although the grin on his face offset the hostility with a sort of sick anticipation. Like he was waiting for him to run.

DragonSong

Damnit.

Bree was right. He shouldn't have lit the fire.

It was surprise more than anything else that caused Katahn to shout, because once he got a good look at the stranger his eyes widened and his voice cut off. He'd never seen another centaur before, particularly not one so...large.

Was this what Bree's people were like? Massive and armed and...oh boy, something about that smile was just unsettling.

Desperately he tried to smile, raising his hands to show he was unarmed. "Um, yeah, I am actually. Look, If I'm...trespassing, I'm really sorry, I just-"

Before he could really attempt to smooth things over, the grass behind him parted and a blur of fiery chestnut soared over his head. He squeaked and dove for the ground, rolling to get out from underneath Brianna as she came crashing to a landing in front of him.

The mare tossed her head and leveled her bow at the stranger, chest heaving with pants. "Back off," she snarled, too spooked and hyper-protective to truly process what was in front of her.

Then her brain caught up with her adrenaline-fueled body and she froze, staring. Slowly, her bow lowered, just a bit. "You- you're a-"

"Ahem." Ka sat up and dusted himself off. "Sis, maybe be nice to the large scary man," he hissed out of the corner of his mouth.

DaGlobster

"Oh, you're trespassing alright," Dehak said, and he looked just about ready to advance when Bree came bounding in. Dehak reared up with the surprise, hammer up and ready, but when he saw it was another centaur confronting him, he hesitated.

Just as Bree started to realize that Dehak was a centaur, Dehak noticed that she had absolutely none of the markings common to a Bray. No Hoof mark, nothing.

Just like that, he was back on the defensive, pointing the tip of his hammer at Ka when he stood up and  took his place next to Bree.

He looked at Bree through the slits of his visor, and he growled out a challenge.

"What Herd are you from, stranger?" he said, keeping the point of his hammer trained on Ka.

DragonSong

Instantly Bree was on the defensive again, arrow pointed at Dehak's chest as his hammer pointed at Ka.

She frowned in confusion, shifting her back hooves nervously. "Herd? I don't know what you're talking about."

"Look, we're just passing through," Ka tried desperately. "We didn't know this was your land, we'll go, alright?"

"Ka, be quiet," Bree hissed from the corner of her mouth. "And get behind me." She shifted to stand more protectively in front of him, still staring down the larger male. She was hardly a small creature, but this centaur made her feel suddenly outclassed.

DaGlobster

Dehak gave her bow a cursory glance, paying no mind to the arrow pointed at his armored chest, and he lowered his hammer slightly. It was still ready, but the point wasn't pointing at anyone anymore.

"If you're going to loose that arrow, you better pray that it kills me," Dehak said, and he took a daring step forwards. She wouldn't be able to see it, save for the slight tilt of his helmet, but he was scanning her over.

"Why are you protecting this human?"

DragonSong

She resisted the urge to back away from him, though she did allow her bow to drop slightly, less threatening.

She kept herself planted firmly in front of Ka, waving him quiet when he tried to speak with a broad gesture of her hand. "He's my brother," she said bluntly. "Why are you threatening us?"

Her back hooves stamped nervously and she winced, wishing she was better at hiding her nerves.

DaGlobster

"Your brother?"

Dehak scoffed.

"Your brother?" he repeated, and he let his hammer down, planting the tip on the ground and resting his hand on the pommel.

"I threatened your "brother" because he's trespassing, and you're trespassing as well, if you're not one of us," he said.

"Where are you from, then, if not one of the Herds?"

DragonSong

Bree glared at him. "Yes. My brother," she repeated firmly. "We didn't know we were trespassing, we're just trying to get north-"

"Essyrn," Ka interrupted her. "We're from Essyrn. Please, we don't want any trouble, we're just passing through. We mean no harm."

Now that the hammer was down Bree had allowed her bow to drop to her side, though she kept the arrow in her hand. She glared over her shoulder at Ka, silently telling him to shut up.

DaGlobster

"Essyrn, hm?" Dehak said, and if Bree could see past his helmet, she'd see him leering at her.

"Last Essyrnis passed through here didn't quite look like you," He noted, and he paced a bit to the left, although he didn't get any closer.

"Slaves, then?"

DragonSong

Bree mirrored him, making sure to keep herself between Katahn and the other centaur. The word "slave" raised her hackles and a snarl curled her lips.

"Not anymore," Ka said softly from behind her.

DaGlobster

Dehak nodded, and went still. He looked off to the distance, and then back at the two of them.

"You hold that bow well. If you're willing to use it, I'm sure my people could use a hunter."

DragonSong

They both blinked at him in silence for a moment, stunned. Then Ka practically jumped forward. "She's a great hunter!" he exclaimed. "I mean- I could pull my weight too. And- and she's a healer, she's really good with herbs-"

"Ka, shut up!" Bree exclaimed, grabbing the collar of his shirt and jerking him back. She eyed Dehak warily. "What's the catch?"

DaGlobster

It seemed good that she pulled him back, because Dehak did not seem to enjoy Ka's presence in the least.

"You become a member of our Herd," he said.

"The mightiest Herd of centaurs on the continent."

DragonSong

Bree stared at him for a long moment. "I won't leave my brother," she said eventually. "And- and we wouldn't be prisoners, right? If we wanted to leave, you'd let us?"

DaGlobster

"I don't care what you do with your human," Dehak said, waving Ka away dismissively.

"As long as he watches his footing and watches his tone."

DragonSong

"Sir,  yes, sir!" Ka snapped a sarcastic little salute- to be honest he was just thrilled at the prospect of not having to wander about in the wilds.

Bree gave him a very dry look, then switched her attention back to Dehak and nodded slowly. "I suppose we're following you then?"

DaGlobster

"I do not appreciate your tone, worm," Dehak growled, Ka's sarcasm being very badly timed.

"Let's go, before I regret my decision," he said, and wheeled about, starting a medium-paced canter.

DragonSong

Bree glared. "Don't talk to him like that-"

"Bree, it's fine." Ka laid a hand on her withers, where they blended into her waist. As Dehak took off, his sister offered an arm to pull him up onto her back and set off after him. Ka's hands fell to her shoulders as he settled into the familiar rhythm of her canter.

DaGlobster

Dehak ignored Bree's objection, and didn't bother looking back at them as his canter sped up into a run.

Tags: