Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Of gold and outlaws

Started by Anadwen, February 01, 2014, 08:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anadwen

The golden coins and chains softly clinked under Aldanith's hands. He rolled over on the pile of gold in the middle or his room, topped with cushions and blankets, and sled off it with the elegance so typical for him. The sun behind the two windows in the stone was slowly setting, and many candles, burning in his chamber, were glowing with dim light, reflected by the silver and gold, scattered around.

His left hand sunk into his hair and slicked it back, although it fell back into his face just a moment later. He was certain about his decision... The person who he chose for his second-in-command and successor, was a good choice, and he believed that Deacon will be able and will lead the outlaws with an iron hand just as he did.

He grabbed a shirt, laying nearby, and put it on without any greater concern than rolling the sleeves up. A bright fire burned in his chamber, but it was quite cold in the main hall of the lair. The door, leading into the room, banged behind him, and he quickly walked down the stairs into the underground hall.

There were numerous outlaws in the hall, since it was time for dinner for many of them, and the noise of their conversations and clinking and thudding dishes was echoing between the walls. There was smoke from the candles and fire pits, above which were roasting beasts, and the smell of ale and beer was only a step from being too strong for Aldanith's keen senses.

He walked to the closest outlaw, and leaned over the table. "Get me Deacon. I want to have a word with him." he said calmly. The dark elf immediately stood up and nodded, searching for the outlaw in the hall.

Zero

The hall was about as noisy as you'd expect at dinnertime with a bunch of criminals. Small scuffles broke out here and there over a scrap of food, though there was enough to go around if you wanted to be honest. Still, they were all thieves and greed ran deep. One such argument was stirring at the table farthest from the boss's room.

Two men had grabbed a large hunk of bread at the same time and were debating on who deserved it more. They were about two seconds away from raising their fists over it when a soft 'thunk' sounded. The loaf was pinned to the table by a sleek throwing knife. Both elves stopped to stare at the man seated at the head of that particular table.

A look of boredom was on Deacon's face as he admonished them both. "Uncultured swine, you're like animals."

A delicate hand appeared over one of their shoulders, plucking the knife from the table and taking the bread with it. "Silly children, when you don't behave mommy and daddy have to take your toys away."

"Desire, don't say naughty things." Deacon smirked, hand held out as his twin sister brought both knife and reward to him. A moment later someone came up to him and told him that the boss wanted to see him. Well wasn't that interesting. "Desire, if the children misbehave while I'm away, spank them for me, would you dear?"

"My pleasure, brother."

Rising to his feet with a smirk, his twin sister immediately took his seat; he left the bread behind, but put his knife back in its hiding place. Weaving his way through the hectic hall, Deacon made his way to where Aldanith was standing. Giving a loose salute, he grinned at the leader of their merry band of misfits. "Evening Boss, what can I do for ya?"

Anadwen

Aldanith kept his cold, uninvolved grimace, and without saying a word, he gestured Deacon to follow him up the narrow stairs. His feet were completely noiseless on the steps, and he took them by two, as he used to, not wasting any time. The heat was rising in the corridor as they ascended, and Aldanith eventually took his shirt off.

He never felt comfortable wearing anything but armour... And why even wear anything when you're not outside? It was common for him to walk around bare-chested, with only his gauntlets, bracers and shoulderguards.

They approached the wide wooden door, covered by iron bars. Aldanith stopped, and crossed his arms on his chest. "You know why you're here?" he asked silently, aiming his piercing, hypnotizing gaze at the other elf.

Zero

Well he hadn't exactly expected a cheerful greeting, and Deacon easily took the cold, stony silence in stride as he was gestured to follow. Taking the steps two at a time was no problem, light on his feet and bursting with thinly-veiled curiosity. Their boss could be as much of a grumpy sourpuss as he wanted, no reason for that to rain on Deacon's parade.

Though it did seem a bit odd that he was being led up to Aldanith's room. What tantalizing business was going on? He was eager to find out as they approached the door, and he wondered if he would actually be going inside.

Crimson eyes gleamed as he met the gaze, a smirk twisted on his lips. "I'm guessing that it isn't for a tea party."

Anadwen

Aldanith laughed. "More likely a wine party. I bloody hate tea." he smirked, and opened the door. Leading Deacon into the shadowy chamber, filled with piles of gold, scattered on the stones and hung on the stolen furniture, he threw the dark shirt somewhere afar.

There was one wide bed, hanging on chains from the ceiling, in a smaller semi-circular niche on the other side of the room, weapons and armour on the walls, several smaller tables, chairs, hunting trophies and other expensive (but none actually bought) furniture, but the most dominant feature was the large pile of gold in the middle. Aldanith used to sleep on it like a dragon, covered in dark furs and exquisite fabrics, and it was even larger than his actual bed.

He just passed the gold, and led Deacon to a smaller chamber. There, a large wooden desk stood in the middle, and around it were countless shelves with scrips, scrolls and books. Again, there was gold around, and a great, ornate throne behind the table. The dark elf nonchalantly sat onto it across the armrests, leaning against one, and letting his legs hang over the other.

An opened bottle of mead stood on the table. He grabbed it, and took a drink from it, gesturing Deacon to sit down on the other chair in front of the table.

Zero

Deacon joined in on the laughter for a moment. Breaking Aldanith's stony glare was a personal triumph for him. It was a real downer when everyone was so cranky - killed the buzz of the ale and the high of another successful day of trouble-making.

As they walked through the room, his red eyes lit-up at the tantalizing glitter of gold and silver. What he wouldn't give to just snatch as much as he could carry. That would be incredibly stupid, of course, and so he shoved his itching fingers in his pockets. There would be plenty of opportunity for stealing such treasures from someone else.

They entered the smaller chamber with the desk and he flopped into the chair in front of the desk, though he eyed the throne without even attempting to hide the admiration that gleamed in red eyes. "Nice chair, Boss."

Anadwen

"It takes a lot of talent to steal a chair." Aldanith laughed, and dropped the bottle back onto the table with a loud thud. "If you can find a goblet in this mess, pour yourself. But I drank from the bottle." he offered him with a wink, and stretched his arms nonchalantly.

"So, you know what are you doing here? Not many people are invited up..." he shrugged, and hung one of his arms on an ornament on the throne, sticking out from its side. "I can assure you it's nothing wrong with you..."

He enjoyed playing mind games with his underlings - most of them were dumb as stumps in comparison to him, and quite easily tricked, though Deacon was an exception. A quite pleasant one... And that's what made him choose. He didn't want a complete idiot to take care of about a hundred of outlaws while he's away.

Zero

Deacon smirked, but did not laugh. Depending on the method, stealing a chair really wasn't all that hard. Go in, kill the family, take every chair, china, and tapestry, leave the walls bare. Not so hard. Not that he was going to make such a comment to Aldanith, he rather liked his head right where it was at - firmly attached to his shoulders.

"Ah yes, the ultimate question...why am I here?" He threw one leg over the other, lounging back in his chair and steepling his fingers to peer at the other elf thoughtfully before speaking. "I know that I've broken no rules to need reprimanded, and you confirmed that I am not here because of a transgression, so that leaves only one or two logical options for this visit.

"The first would be that you wish to entrust me with an important task, mission, or duty. As I am probably the most intelligent, handsome, and capable man in our group - aside from you, of course - that seems the most likely. Or for some reason you have deemed me a threat - unlikely - and wish to eliminate me."

Grinning devilishly, he peered at his leader without a hint of trepidation. "A good guess?"

Anadwen

Aldanith gave him a disappointed glance, and took another drink from the bottle. "I may have overestimated you, and you may trust yourself too much, Deacon. Both guesses wrong. If I wanted to give you a mission, I wouldn't have taken you upstairs... And neither would I do so if I wanted you dead. I don't want mess in my room..."

He put the bottle down. "The reason why you are here is, actually, better than you may have expected. You showed me quite exceptional abilities, and you're not a bloody idiot like every other bas- person in here." His arm outstretched to the table and he softly scratched its slightly singed edges.

"I don't feel like dying any soon. But if that was to happen, I need a successor... And someone to command this band of retards while I'm away. Also, my successor will become my apprentice, and will inherit all my wealth if I'd kick off. I feel like everybody in here is stupid as hell, and I don't want someone like that to get all this bloody gold. You have some brain. I want you to be the second-in-command, and my successor and heir."

His ice blue eyes glinted from beneath the scruffy wisps of his stark white hair, sliding down his face, as he bent his head back, and drank a little more from the sweet mead.

Zero

Trust himself too much? The very notion was preposterous. In a lawless world the only person you really could trust was yourself, and he honestly didn't think he was being overconfident or arrogant. Still, he bit his tongue and let Aldanith speak. Arguing with the boss wasn't going to get him anywhere and it could be painful.

Of course the smirk was wiped off his face as he was told what was really going on. Rather he arched a brow coolly at the other elf. It was really hard for him to keep such a composed expression. That wasn't really what he'd expected. Not that he didn't think he was the perfect man for the job - he totally was - but he'd never thought himself particularly close to the leader.

Clearing his throat he tried to keep his tone in his usual light and cheerful barb. "Oh my, what an honor. I do admit that I would love to get my hands on all this gold at some point, and it's true that most of those downstairs are little more than weak-minded apes. Such a wise leader to choose me."

Anadwen

Aldanith chuckled, but it was a hard sound, cruel and bleak like his own cold heart. "A hand on this gold? Eyes, maybe. But I'm not meaning to die any soon. Plus, you must realize, that I am still your superior." he said, stretching his neck, and he reached up, showing the intricate patterns that adorned his gauntlets. A chain with an iron pendant sled to the side of his chest as he bent himself into almost inhuman poses.

"The training is mandatory. If you have ever seen where I exercise - you will soon be, too. I want you to train an hour a day at the very least. I spend there three hours every day, and I expect you to show dedication in improving your abilities." He twisted his head to the side, staring at Deacon. "And I want you to study. You'll get a separate room, but you have to have a time table compatible with mine, and I want to know what you're doing to become a good potential leader. Understood?" He raised a brow, and grabbed the bottle again.

Zero

Few people planned on dying, what a stupid sentiment. Only the weak looked forward to dying. Deacon was slightly irritated, did Aldanith take him for a fool? Of course he knew that the elf before him was still his superior, he'd never implied that he wasn't. Dealing with the boss was so much easier when he wasn't around. At least now he knew what it must be like for people when they were being looked down on by him.

"If you train three hours, I'll train five. Don't underestimate me, Boss, I will push myself to the very limits of elven ability if that's what it takes." Thank god he could read and write, the studying would be tedious, but doable. "You just tell me where and when, I'll go on any schedule you need me to."

Nobody would ever accuse him of not trying hard enough or of failing. Deacon would never let that happen.

Anadwen

Aldanith grinned. Even on his fair face, it was a twisted grimace. He'll make Deacon train until all his strength is drained... And then take him, break him, and mend what will be left into a stronger man. Just like he was broken so long ago...

"I wanted to see your reaction. I train all day. And you will, too. If you plan on pushing yourself to the limits... I will make you go beyond them. Wake up before sunrise, and fall asleep after midnight. If you can't take it, I will find another to take the place... But I put my hopes into you. You're one of the few gifted people in this pit." he said, and elegantly sled off his throne. He unsheathed Bloodstorm, and pointed its tip at Deacon.

"Now stand up and show me what you can do." he growled.

Zero

Deacon smirked as he listened to what Aldanith intended for him. No one would be taking his place. There wasn't another soul in this miserable group of flea-bitten vermin that could match him, either in wits(his sister came close to brains, but not even remotely brawn) or skill with a blade. The only one was standing before him, pointing a sword at him.

Standing smoothly, he laughed softly. "I like your style, Boss. Always have. Men like us have too much to do to waste time. Don't hold back, I sure as hell won't."

He was over the desk in an instant, a dagger in each hand. Deacon didn't go for a direct approach, rather he tried to slide around the sword and catch Aldanith in the side. Not seeing them both bleeding before this was over would be the greatest disappointment he could possibly imagine.

Anadwen

Aldanith laughed, and Frostdeath appeared in his other hand. The blades clinked softly as he clashed their sides together... "Do I ever hold back? No. Hell, only idiots hold back." he winged off.

And after that, he did a very unexpected thing - leaped into the air, and swiftly throwing himself off the armrest of the other chair, he landed on the table. He took a defensive stance, slightly bending his knees and back, and held the scimitars before him.

It was a strategic position, as it was easier for one to defend himself on a high place, than on the ground, and he had much more options up here - kicking, slashing, smacking, everything was simpler. He was prepared for Deacon's attack, standing on his tiptoes, and ready to either jump away, or charge forth any moment.

Zero

Why waste breath on words? His opponent had leaped and jumped to the desk, a good position, to be sure, but not entirely unexpected. After all, he'd have taken the desk if he thought he could have held it for more than two seconds.

Jumping to the top of the throne Deacon used it as a launching board, rising into the air and spinning gracefully to come down at Aldanith from above, daggers ready to clash against blades. The reach of the other's swords put Deacon at a disadvantage, but his boss was shirtless, where he had boiled leather armor protecting his chest.

Anadwen

Aldanith's hands, gripping the crossed scimitars, arose before himself and defended him from Deacon's blow, throwing the younger elf off. He was stronger and swifter, but the lack of clothing proved as a disadvantage. He will have to use his blades as both weapons and a shield.

He didn't doubt himself, though. In a quick spin, he jumped from the desk onto the tall armrests of the throne, and balanced on them like an acrobat on a rope.

Zero

The blades came together with a sharp clang, Deacon had hoped coming down hard from above would be enough to counter the superior strength of the other, but as quickly as the blades came together they were pushed apart again.

Hitting the floor with a grunt, Deacon rolled and lept right back up, spinning in the air again as he pushed the attack, making a quick strike at his opponent's stomach. Let Aldanith take the defensive position, he much preferred offense anyway.

Anadwen

Aldanith leaped into the air, avoiding Deacon's strike, and in a great spin, aimed to land on him with either his feet, or smite him with the scimitars, as sharp as razors. His feet threw him off the chair, flipping it over, and he was suddenly in the air, like an arrow, fired from a tense bowstring.

He stopped with defense, and once already in battle, took an offensive stance, pushing his opponent into the corner. If Deacon wouldn't roll out of his way, he would surely land straight on him...

Zero

It was refreshing to have someone pit against him that was as fast - if not faster - than himself. Humans were slow, cumbersome beasts, and very poor sport. They simply died too quickly. As Aldanith leaped out of his strike, Deacon gave a laugh as he threw himself back, reversing his momentum and retreating a few feet so as to avoid those wicked fangs of steel.

Daggers spun in his hands before coming up, already ready for the next attack to be launched at him. To think he'd only gotten to be on the attack a few seconds before being pushed to defensive action.