Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Thanks for the crown. Enjoy your Pig.

Started by visualspice, November 29, 2012, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

visualspice

"Yep," Gherrick confirmed with a simple nod of his head. "But every time there seemed to be some sure way of escape. Not sure how to describe it, but one time I was coming into port, threatened by a hanging, but a storm capsized the boat. Not sure how to explain how I escaped the rest, but I'm lucky I'm a sea fairing man. And most escapes on land are easy. Most guards tend to let their jobs get the better of them without much heart, so it's much easier to deliver the quick blows needed to escape." He shrugged again. "It's probably been like.. ten or twelve times easily I've been caught. Maybe more. I don't know." he shrugged again, trying to think back to the numerous times people tried to arrest him, hang him and the likes. "Hrm,..yeah come to think of it.... it's definitely been even  more than that."
CHECK OUT MY LATEST SITE EVENT!
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

My currently active characters:
Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Beatrid stared at him, eyebrows rising and blue eyes widening. For a moment, she thought her mind was failing and she'd heard incorrectly--she had been hit awfully hard and was pushing herself well past her limits, so it was possible! But then he kept going on, and his words sounded as real as anything. But it couldn't be. Was that even possible?

Blinking several times, Beatrid stuck her pinky in her ear in case she'd gotten water in there, and then removed it. "Come again?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Gherrick turned to Beatrid and noted her expression, which caused him to blush.
"Er.. well I hadn't become a famous pirate and bandit for nothing. Not all of the stories and rumors are true but well... some of them.. sort of... are."
The Never King- a king erased from history because of his dabblings in dark magic (among other things...) suddenly because a present day problem when an unlikely group of adventurers 'awakens' him from the grave. You can read more about the event on the plotting page here and information page here!

I ran the Connlaothian civil war. For more info, check out it's page here. The war has now turned into a 'Cold War' with it's plotting page found here. It's no longer a huge site wide event but the scars are there.

Grand Duke Calent Allarrick // Aella Coleridge // Blaith Harmond // Kella Harmond  // Hope Allarrick // Krah Mordeth // Mehtwald Allaen // Zannrick Austengarde // Katahnia Harmond // Jinai Rinstgate  // Leif Arrant // Dekka Blade  // Kentamin Dhelsbar  // Dahnny Quills  // Victoria Armani  // Ohna Waitsmith  // Jarrett L'isson  // Trest Arristaire  // Clayton "Jack-in-the-Box" Wilson // Cullen  //  Vels // Shay // Killian  // Fluke  // Mellesta // Danning // Petrin // Gavriella // Dornsley // Miersck // Aelith // Iyla // Angel // Ellarrah // Persea Ah'nikh // Phone // Jace // Ne'friss // Opus Dey // Lord Amalin // Ehvren // Narophne // Edward // Dehzrehn // Chase Vander // Valeska // Jayo //Layana // Rezvek // Red Sun // Harmanaija // Mirajah // Liana // Oska //Hay-gee // Beatrice // Ninn // Dao'bachpa //Pao'orha // Mae'leena // Davishire // Davina// Gemla // Hyathia //Thethysis // Urd // Missendria // Ina-herit // Feni'tat // Phen // Evelyn // Kell // Striker // Ithica // Connor // Vlint // The Gambler // Lord Aegis // Thomas // Quince // Althea // Vaeyna // Ihlsepar Asawa'eht // Krazxick // Djchastese // Katoma // Na'o // Moonlight // Bluesong //Caollette // Artemis // Arrick // Evetta //Jackal // Winston //Lenny // Anphis // Hebara //Ibra // Dre'hn // Veride // Arthund // Kao

Rhindeer

Beatrid scrubbed a hand through her wet hair. "But twelve of them are? Or more?" She laughed. "I can't tell if you're bluffing or serious."

Though it certainly explained his calm composure in the face of a grim fate.

Still eying him sidelong, she added, "Ever escape from a locked cell?"
Adamaris // Aderyn // Aki // Alexander // Angel // Axieva // Beatrid // Briar // Cadmus // Corryn // Einin/Owl // Emery // Fang // Faolán // Faris // Frost // Hayate // Ife // Jayari // Jirou // Juniper // Katxiel // Khaiya // Kota // Kyran // Liam // Makani // Max // Maya // Mei // Nakato // Naovi // Nasrin // Niaaki // Niamh // Noor // Pepper // Qiana // Qismat // Quinn // Raxta // Riyarin // Rook // Sachi // Sahar // Siobhan // Simonea // Sita // Song // Summer // Valor // Yasmin // Yiroa

visualspice

Gherrick laughed, a good hearted laugh at her question.
"Depends on how you interpret a locked cell," he said, but then gave a shrug. "But I guess the question now is 'Can I escape from the noose'?" Though as serious as the question was, Gherrick was still smiling none the less, even as his own nerves were tingling, because well..
for all he knew, he might not escape this time from a locked cell, from the guards, and.. well...
from the noose. And his mind began to churn, eyes flittering around for a sigh of something, anything when a flock of nearby birds gave him an idea-
which was sadly squashed as he was suddenly shoved into the back of a carriage, barred doors slamming in his face. Oh well, there went one idea. He supposed he'd have to think of another. Blinking, he peered out from the small barred window and only smiled at Beatrid as the men took their positions around the carriage.

She was an interesting one. Most of the guards he ever dealt with would have slammed their fists into his face a few times by now to get him to shut up. But this one...
she actually gave him the time of day. Then again, as he reminded himself, they really weren't enemies, and she.. just simply doing her job.

Rhindeer

It wasn't until the next day that Beatrid saw Gherrick again. The rest of her day had been spent recounting the wild events of the mage's capture--and getting her head treated. It wasn't a bad injury, but she was advised to rest the rest of the day, and she was too exhausted to protest.

She wasn't 100% the next day, but she felt well enough, and she hated sitting idle. Besides, it wouldn't be long before the mage would be taken in for questioning--sooner rather than later, in fact. And as a witness and  the one who'd brought him in, she would be there through it all.

Cleaned up and dressed in her uniform--armor, tabard, and all, her hair neatly braided--Beatrid let the guards lead her down into the prison and pointed his cell out to her. Another Mordecai had been positioned near the cell in the meantime, and when he saw Beatrid, he let out a sigh of relief and pushed passed her.

"He's all yours now," he grumbled as he left. "Have fun."

Clearly, he hadn't found the man nearly so entertaining as she had.

With a snort, Beatrid walked forward to stand before his cell and peered in through the bars. "Still here, hmm?"

visualspice

Gherrick, having not much really to do with his time, had fashioned an intricately woven crown out of the hay that was piled inside his cell. So when Beatrid approached, he blinked and looked up from where he had been sitting.

"Yep, and I made this crown," he said, smirking as he approached the cell door and handed it out to her. "Here, you can have it if you want." ANd he gave her a boyish grin, and asked, more seriously. "So how are you feeling? It seems the cut on your head is mending well."

Rhindeer

Beatrid blinked down at the crown, one eyebrow lifting, then scoffed and gently pushed it back toward him. "Ah, no, I couldn't. You're the one wanted a crown so damned badly, you should wear it."

At his question, she rubbed at her head. "Been better. But not terrible," she said, and leaned her shoulder against the wall near the bars, still facing him. She crossed her arms over her chest.

"You know, all things considered, ya might be alright," she said. "Perhaps flogged and locked away, but you might escape execution." She shrugged. As far as she had heard, there were no records of him having used magic except the one time against her--and mages were allowed that "one time" grace period. So it would be his other crimes he'd answer for, of of those there was rather damning evidence. Whether it was enough for a death sentence was up in the air.

"You'll have to wear the mark."

visualspice

Gherrick stared at her, blinking when she refused the crown. He kept himself draped against the cell bars, staring back at her, though when she mentioned the mark, he wrinkled his nose.
"I don't think it would be very flattering with my attire."

Rhindeer

Beatrid gave Gherrick a quick up and down look, head to toe and back, and smirked. "To be fair, not much would."

His outfit was very, ah, bold, after all.

visualspice

Gherrick smirked at her reply.
"It is a bit flashy, aint' it?" he said, looking down. He was happy he at least got to keep it. Considering if he did escape this alive, well.. at least he wouldn't have to buy or make another.
"So I guess you're on duty then? Coming here to see how I'm fairing?" his eyes lit up slightly at the question, peering over at her curiously as he was working at making something else with the lose straw in his cell, the crown having since been discarded at the floor, just beside the cell bars of his door.
"Though I suppose guards do more than just patrol the streets, apprehending rascals, such as myself." Though he could see the job of watching over the prisoners as a lot more boring. If he had a choice, he'd take the street patrol.

Rhindeer

"Well, you're my prisoner," Beatrid said, looking him over. "So you're my responsibility. But to answer your speculation, pfft, yeah. A soldier's life is rather more involved than you'd think. Especially a Mordecai's."

With a sigh, she pulled a stool up to the cell and took a seat, one leg crossed over the other, ankle resting on her knee. "This is one of the more boring aspects, but to be fair, it could be worse. As far as prisoners go, you're one of the livelier ones. For example..." She nodded to him. "The hell ya making now?"

visualspice

Gherrick had finished making three small flowers out of hay, turning them into the smallest semblance of a bouquet before over hearing her question. He blinked and looked up at her, then handed the three flowers over to her through the cell bars.
"A bouquet of flowers," he said, smiling broadly as he closed his eyes in a jovial manner, the 'flowers' appearing perky and cheerful, and full of character.. much like their creator.

Rhindeer

Oh hell.

Beatrid stared at the flowers for a long moment, then at him, all smiling cheerfully and looking just so damned pleased with himself. She rolled her eyes so hard it hurt, but this time, she also didn't deny the "gift". With a sigh, she accepted the "bouquet" and turned them this way and that, looking at the craftsmanship. Why not? Besides, seemed rude to keep rejecting the gifts of a condemned man.

"Huh. Not bad," she remarked. "Hell, with skill like that, ya could've made an honest living as a weaver or some shit." She glanced back at him. "So why didn't you? Make an honest living, I mean."

visualspice

Gherrick kept his smile, though the warmth behind it seemed to fade as he looked at her. That being realized, he drew in a breath and looked down at his boots.
"Ah, well, what sort of life would it be if things were easy enough to simply oblige the law?" he gave a shrug. "I tried though, to be honest. But it seemed the only means for me were the hard way, or be killed." he glanced over briefly to Beatrid, staring at the flowers. "Or to sit by and watch others suffer. I don't fair well watching other people get hurt. It... well, it's not right. Be they suffering from poverty or other dirty means, it's all the same. People don't deserve to suffer if we can help it. So if my little bit of thieving off of men who deserve to have some of their golden crowns stolen, well then, I'll hang for it. But I will stand by my own codes of ethics. I do not blam eyou for doing your job, Beatrid. I have gone against the laws and I am aware of the consequences."
And here he smiled at her.
"What little cost would come from being a weaver, but what greater reward a noble thief."

Rhindeer

Beatrid stared at him a long while.

"So...you steal for others, is that it? Not for yourself?" That seemed to be what he was saying, and in some twisted way, she could see the logic in it. "Huh. That's a pretty damned noble idea, taking from others with too much and giving to those with too little. Kinda romantic. Could swear I read some stories about it. But it's still wrong. No one deserves to be robbed, wealthy or not."

And, under her breath, added, "No matter how fucking much everyone else hates them."

She laced her hands around her boot. "Interesting idea, though. You do know there's legal ways to help people, right?"

visualspice

Gherrick laughed and simply replied, "Yeah, but where's the fun in that? Besides, I'm trying to make a point, and to get a point across, one has to yell."

Rhindeer

"That's yelling to you?" Beatrid asked, and shook her head. "I'd sure as fuck hate to see your idea of a ruckus."

That when the sound of a door opening, followed by a rush of fresh air, caught her attention. A guard had entered the room, and the increasing volume of his steps said he was approaching. Looking over at him, she arched an eyebrow. "What?"

"Time to go," the guard said gruffly, and Beatrid stretched and stood, stepping aside so the guard could unlock Gherrick's cell.

"Looks like it's time for questioning," Beatrid told him, and nodded to his makeshift crown. "Sure ya don't want to look your best?"

visualspice

Gherrick smiled, picked up the crown and dusted it off  before handing it back to her.
"I really think you should keep it," he pressed. "It would look better on you than me." He added with a laugh.
The guard growled.

"That's enough," He said, smacking GHerrick across the back of his head as soon as he opened the cell door. "Stop harassing the woman." and he took Gherrick roughly by the arm, an action that caused him to drop the hay-created crown and inadverentely smashed it beneath his boots. Gherrick was quickly cuffed in iron shackles behind his backa nd pushed forward. "Move it along, criminal. We ain't got all day." And Gherrick turned and gave Beatrid one last glance over his shoulder before he was chauffeured out the door.

Rhindeer

Questioning could take a while and with no prisoner to guard, Beatrid was put on patrol on the interim. It was an uneventful time, and most of it was spent wondering over the fate of her criminal as she marched through the streets, keeping an eye out for suspicious activity. Normally, she wouldn't care; she was used to dealing with unsympathetic people, and she'd convicted many mages over the course of her career. Some had even been condemned, she she'd stood by that decision, even testified against them, and she slept just as well after the execution, secure in the knowledge that she'd done the right thing.

But this man was not a monster, and she didn't believe he was faking it. A man who was faking it didn't surrender at the risk of their own life, or protect the person trying to arrest them even when they had the opportunity to slip away. And at this point, he had nothing to gain through insincerity, but everything to lose through honesty.

Reporting back in to her captain as daylight faded to night, another Mordecai replaced her and she was dismissed. Time to check back in at the prison and see how things had gone--or wait around some more if they hadn't finished. Her feet were sore and she felt a little more tired than usual--a reminder of her injury--but sleep could wait a bit longer. It wasn't long before she reached the prison and, with a word to the guard, was handed a torch and ushered inside.

Rats scurried away from the light as she walked down the cell block and, when she reached his cell, she placed the torch into a sconce on the wall and peered inside.

He was back, all right. And he had a bloody, puffy face to show for it.

"Looks like things went well for ya," she remarked, arms crossed over her chest.