Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Looking for work (open)

Started by Garamond, September 11, 2016, 03:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garamond

Kalthas rode his horse along the dusty half-road that wound itself through the Sirantil Valley. He was miles away now from the Whitestead Estate, where he had just given up his only title as a knight of the realm. He felt somewhat naked without the steel kite shield that bore his family crest, as he urged his speckled steed into a trot. Up ahead he began to see the outlines of a small village, where he figured might be a good place to look around. Losing his title meant losing the tax money of the peasants who worked at the land he owned, and with only a few coins to his name, a sword, and his secret anti-magic amulet, he figured there might be some mercenary work in a town along the road to where he wished to escape to: Serendipity. With only a few days' rations, however, he would need to make some money before he could accomplish that goal. Some brush rustled to the right of the road, and Kalthas instinctively reached for his bastard sword-- only to see a rabbit hop onto the road. He heaved an exasperated sigh; he was getting too jumpy.

Finally, he reached the town and stabled his horse, lying about his knightly status to avoid the fee. Before he looked properly, he headed to the town's tavern, The Farmer's Keg, and made his way inside. Parched, he ordered an ale with one of his few remaining coins and took a seat in one of the tavern's empty tables. What could go wrong with a stomach full of ale? He almost hoped that some monster plagued the village, so that he perhaps might collect a bounty on it. Or perhaps the innkeep needed some odd job done? Whatever the case, Kalthas was eager to do something to earn some money--even if it meant cleaning tables or pig pens. But maybe fortune would smile on him today.

Tacocat86

Glakel was just finishing freezing a monster in the nearby forest solid, when he saw someone he perceived as a knight, then searching for excitement he rode out on his steed,Iizstrun Sivaas, through the Sirantil Valley, when he happened to find a seemingly cozy little town. Wondering if anything of interest could be found, he entered the town and rode around a little bit, surveying the layout of the village. He stopped at a small tavern and set his steed lose, the beast stood there, waiting patiently for his return. He adjusted his cloak and pulled the hood over his white hair, he then snapped his fingers and his staff apparated into his hand.

He pushed open the door and stood there for a moment, with his red and white cloak flowing behind him, he then went to sit down at the bar. "I'll have some ale please,"he said to the barmaid. He looked around and spotted someone who appeared to be a knight with a forlorn look on his face. He walked over and sat down at the knight's table. "What seems to be troubling you, boy?"His bright red eyes twinkled in curiosity. He set down his staff next to him and gave the knight a warm smile. He had had his fair share of troubles and wondered if the knight's were anything he could help with.

Garamond

Kalthas watched the hooded figure with a staff enter into the tavern, and was instantly wary of the potential ramifications; perhaps he was an assassin, sent by his father to end his life for abandoning the estate? Perhaps he was a ghost of one of the mages, meant to haunt him? Kalthas resisted the urge to grab his sword, instead uneasily taking a first sip of the ale--which had a flavor which was surprisingly palatable--but nervously put down the tankard as this person approached him.

He was surprised when the man asked what was wrong. As a knight, he had gotten used to being the one asking that question, mostly to the commoners that had lived on his land. And, of course, there were still the lingering questions of what this man's intentions were; Kalthas deliberated over over what his intentions might be for perhaps a moment too long before remembering that he had indeed been asked a question.

"My troubles? Ahh..." Kalthas laughed. "I haven't more than a few coins to rub together. So here I am, a simple vagrant, looking for some money for the road... but what of you? You bear the look of a traveler yourself."

It was only after talking to him that Kalthas noticed his red eyes-- was that normal for people? He grew increasingly suspicious...

Tacocat86

He noticed the knight's growing suspicions and smiled. His naturally red eyes had made people label him as a demon of sorts before, and he always proved them wrong. He noted that the mam sitting across from him had a bastard sword, something that Glakel had rarely seen before. He folded his hands and peered at the knight before him.

"I'm not here to kill you, I'm here to help. For I seek only adventure,  and nothing else." He casually put a gold bar on the table,"Some people pay for adventurers you know, I'm more curious about yourself. Why are you coinless, where is your family's crest? All questions that center around the past. The past is an ugly thing wouldn't you say so?"

While he prattled on, he was examining every detail of the mam infront of him. His armor was still in good shape, meaning that whatever had lost him the money was recent. He looked only slightly disheveled, most likely meaning that it had been awhile since his last proper sleep.

Garamond

Well, at least he didn't appear to be an assassin. Glancing at the man's staff, Kalthas became more interested in the other idea he'd had about this being some sort of haunting.

"I've heard of some who adventure for a living, though there aren't many like that in Connlaoth, as far as I know. All the same..." Kalthas looked at the gold bar on the table. "I am in need of any kind of work I can find."

He scanned the tavern, making sure there was no one listening.

"I suppose you're right about the past. Alas, circumstances conspired to bring me to where I am. I was a knight, the third son of the Whitestead family, and mere days ago I surrendered my titles--and thus my gold-- and am now headed south to leave Connlaoth. Unfortunately, travel takes money."

Tacocat86

He nodded knowingly, "Towards Serendipity I presume?" He pushed the bar of gold towards Kalthas, "Your right about the travel cost though, it's a long way and trying to leave this place is difficult enough with money. The names Glakel by the way. Consider it my treat, I think everyone deserves to enjoy this beautiful world." He dispelled his staff and pulled down his hood. He sat there for a little bit before thinking of something, "Why did you desert your knighthood? Knights in Connlaoth are treated very well, from what i've heard." He enjoyed helping people, yet as a curious person the temptation to meddle in people's lives was sometimes too much for him to bear, and he gave in. This time though, he told himself he had done a good deed. It was often for his "good deeds" to backfire though, as a mage in Connlaoth was highly frowned upon, and in most places, straight up criminal.

Garamond

"Your world view is refreshing," Kalthas said. "I find the world increasingly dreary by the day. And yes, it's true, knights are treated quite well, as someone of minor noble ranking."

Kalthas sighed before continuing.

"I didn't abandon my station. I forfeited my titles willingly. Though you are a complete stranger, Glakel, I trust in your words and your offer of gold, and so will tell you my name and story. I am Kalthas, once of the county of Whitestead, owned by my father. As the third son in line to be heir for the county itself, I was instead raised as a warrior, and became a proper knight once I was of age. I took part in many battles, and have taken lives here and there--as much as perhaps could be expected of someone in my station."

He ran his fingers over his eyes as he tried to clear his mind to say what came next.

"One night, while out on a patrol, our commander spotted a campfire off the trail. When we investigated, a we found several mages, as we saw from their many magics being cast. No one was being harmed, but these are mages, and so without much thought our commander ordered us into action. Several of us were injured, killed by the magics these mages wrought, but in the end, we were victorious. The last of the mages surrendered, but I was ordered to take her life."

Kalthas paused, and swallowed hard.

"I did so. Then, my comrade took this basket from her, and found a babe inside. The captain ordered it tossed into the river. I know not of its fate."

Kalthas stared blankly at the table for a few moments, losing himself in the memories of that fateful night.

Tacocat86

He was quiet for a moment, which was unusual for him. He was lost deep within his thoughts he suddenly spoke with a very calm and surprisingly cold voice, "Mages are treated very badly in these parts, that, I know from experience. I don't blame you, I would do the same thing if I was in your situation." He was recalling memories from his youth that were extremely disturbing to him and he shuddered.

When he spoke again it was once again in his cheerful tone, "I don't believe I ever got your name, and now that I know you're not a knight, I have nothing to call you." He smiled warmly.

His expression had changed much throughout the duration of the conversation, but right now it was unchanging and had a kind look about it. There was something different with this expression, as if it was masking something beneath his outer personality, something that went deep into his mind.

He suddenly opened his hand and spread his slender fingers, and after a second a large snowflake appeared, hovering over his hand. "It's sad just how many people have been killed over something as simple as things like this. Yet you know what they say: One bad apple ruins the bunch, and I guess in this situation it applies to both sides."

Garamond

Kalthas nodded, somewhat embarrassed that he hadn't shared his name yet.

"My name is Kalthas. Just Kalthas, now," he said.

He was, of course, quite shocked when Glakel wantonly created a snowflake. While he wasn't openly hostile to mages, he pondered the sanity of someone who would use magic in public like that. Given his current status, this could potentially be used against Kalthas to implicate him in crimes against his Duke, or the Grand Duke, even. After a brief moment, though, the panic subsided and Kalthas let Glakel's words sink in, as he thought of a response.

"I... suppose it is sad," he said. "I don't know that it's only one bad apple, but rather perhaps the whole tree which continues to bear hateful fruit. We knights are taught gallantry and chivalry, yet we are also expected to carry out the violent wishes of our lords. It's a problem with the entire system, I think, not just certain individuals."

He paused. "I can't speak for mages, though. I don't know enough about them."

Tacocat86

The snowflake above Glakel's hand erupted in a miniature pillar of flame, not very tall, no one minding their business would have seen the flame, but it was spontaneous. "I can't speak for all mages, but I know a few who would give everything they have left just to look you in the eye and murder you, or any knight of Connlaoth for that matter. Me? I don't hold the grudge that most would expect from someone of my position. I find grudges overrated anyways." He stared at Kalthas with a deadpan look on his face, "Luckily there are just as many mages who would simply ignore you, or try to help your situation. Like every group there are the goods and the bads, I guess knights just get a bad reputation because everyone knows what they do, you would be surprised to find out what some mages do, it really is quite shocking." He frowned and looked at the table, "I'm going to have to agree on you about the system though. I believe that while most of the individuals involved are innocent, the higher up individuals are to blame. You can have a working kingdom under the same system, you just need better leaders."