Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

A Moonlit Respite (open)

Started by Nexialist, October 02, 2016, 11:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nexialist

They say that when the moon chooses to reveal its full form, dropping its façade of shadow, werewolves use that light to tear from their human coils and run rampant in the night. Such superstition never did bother Hadarai, who still chose to bask in the radiant moonlight.

The day had been long, not chronologically, but emotionally to many. It had been a very uneventful day, especially one to precede the night of the full moon, but that night alone would surely make up for any dullness in the day it followed. Hadarai always did enjoy nights like these; when one could see in the darkness without strain, being able to view the monochrome blur of nature in it. It was a night like this when he settled in the Draconi Forest, and it would always be a night like this when he would find himself relaxing in it. He enjoyed a moonlit respite, if you will.

Hadarai still had his typical gear on and around him; his bizarre, plantlike garb with his mask carved of greened wood, while his bow was thrown around his torso and his daggers were jabbed into the log he sat on. However, his work had no longer been on his mind; now, he had taken up his tattered journal, writing entry after entry in his native tongue into its pages. After wrapping up the fifth consecutive page to be written, he closed the book and sat it down beside him, now leaning forward to examine the stream he sat near.

It makes one think, seeing things like this. How a civilization could be so willing to sacrifice something like this. They are no villains by any means, but destroying such art for the sake of shelter is something he found redundant; did it not already offer all that one may need? Had he been born in a village, he never would have known such beauty existed, he thought to himself. Alas, these were dark thoughts. To clear his mind, he lifted his mask and looked up at the moon, letting his worries be at rest as the reflected light pierced the sky to reach him.

"What are they missing...?"

ValamLym

Arisima had spend most of her time bathing in the moonlight, the soft glow of the moon soothing her tense muscles. It had been a rather eventful day for her. She had been out hunting, quite successfully even. The three bulges in her otherwise smooth streamlined lower snake body blissfully apparent. Right now however? she was just relaxing and sleeping off her food. Naturally, that wouldn't happen over night, but nothing was quite as good to her as a good nap after a good hunt.

She was coyly playing with one of the shinies she had stolen from the humans before she ate them, this one in particular catching her fancy. It was somesort of family heirloom, a beautiful golden necklace, two letters inscribed in the small orb that it was attached too ''J and H huh?'' she softly exclaimed. She felt somewhat bad, her hunger had ruined perhaps a lovely relationship, but that was life was it not? life was not fair, it never was. She had been the predator and they ended up like most prey do, in the belly of the beast. She lifted her head to look back at herself before simply slithering along the water side.

In search of a good place to rest, she instead found a man - no an elf - sitting along the riverside. She immediately straightened herself up, attempting not to take on a hostile pose. She loved elves, but understandably they didn't always like her all that much. From his apparel he seemed like the forest type and thus no doubt knew about her existence. ''Umm.. Hey!'' she simply spoke up, hoping that making her presence known would help him with his decision whether she was hostile or not. She figured he had sensed her before anyway, those forest types always had a knack for being un-pounce able.

Nexialist

Saying nothing at first, Hadarai took a few more seconds to look up at the moon before slightly turning his head and eyes, bringing a few of his features into view. Even out of his peripheral vision, he knew what creature had appeared just behind him, not far off; it was a Lamia, judging by the voice and the shape of it in the corner of the elf's view. At this point, he turned his gaze to the river in front of him, making sure to speak loud enough to be heard with his head down like this.

"Yes? Can I help you with something?", he said, sounding calmer than a monk, or close to it. He knew that creatures like this one were both intelligent and not inherently hostile, and the tone indicated that a meal or rest had just been finished. Either way, no danger seemed to present itself. Because of this, he chose to attempt to make himself look less intimidating in a way, particularly by pulling down his hood, putting away the twin daggers near him, and taking off his mask entirely.

Creatures like these are ones he always had that particular elven expertise in identifying, but they still confused him sometimes, regardless. How a creature could make a dietary difference between elves, humans, or even dwarves would be a mystery now and always, but he had a feeling it was just meant to be that way. Fey creatures naturally have a hard time contesting one another in many situations, and he can't blame one for wishing to not contest other fey at all. He did the same, after all.

ValamLym

Arisima seemed somewhat put off by the calmth of the man, even elves often seemed to take her with a hint of care, but he seemed rather comfortable, un-afraid. To most this would be annoying, but it only helped her settle in more confidently, she slithered toward the edge of the water, taking up a large area to coil herself around in, resting her upper half on one of the bulges in her tail. ''Not really, I'm just relaxing. Figured I'd keep you company since I found you here anyway!'' she exclaimed almost giddily, a certain hint of excitement in her voice.

It wasn't strange that she felt so excited. She was a social bugger, loved conversations and loved company. But her nature denied this with most creatures, except for Elves and other forest folk. Elves were hard to come by though so finding one sitting near the river was just a treat to her. Her orange eyes scanned his person, particularly intrigued by the mask he held. ''I hope you don't mind. Your kind are the only ones who don't immediately attempt to kill me.'' she added, a hint of sadness in her voice.

''I take it your enjoying this evening as much as I do?'' she quickly added, hoping to strike up more of an conversation. True, she loved social interactions. They were just so limited that she had little knowledge about what someone would discuss with another, let alone what one would discuss with an elf. They were always eccentric types, almost mysterious. She send a ripple down her body, almost as if she was eagerly awaiting a response.

Nexialist

"I can't give myself any excuse not to try and enjoy it. The night was long when I settled in this forest, but it was a night akin to this one." He tried to further 'normalize' his tone to the best of his ability, sounding fluid and keeping quiet in his words. "...You mentioned the civil folk trying to kill you. Have you just evaded them thus far or is their fear justified?" He felt certain he knew the answer; humans meant lunch to these creatures, before all else.

Truly, the reason he stayed calm was not only because he wished to make himself unintimidating, but also because he was still, in some way, on duty. Granted, he was not guarding anything at this particular time, but he had no desire to let conversation hinder his perception of other sounds around him. Hence, anything he spoke came out as a hardly-voiced whisper. Going too far above that would be a bit endangering for his tastes.

Typically, attracting beasts was no issue; he had a natural affinity for them, but he knew well how much the civil folk enjoyed hunting in this forest. If they heard him making too many sounds, they could very well mistake them for the sounds of the distant game waiting to be killed, cooked, and consumed. He didn't blame them by any means, as he did the same, but he certainly wished not to be at the wrong end of the interaction.

ValamLym

Arisima pondered how she should respond to the man's question. She figured he could be one of those goody two-shoes that would immediately go hostile on her. Then again, he didn't seem like the type that would swallow a lie easily. She took a moment of pause before finally speaking again ''Well.. the ones that tried to kill me earlier are back here.'' she pointed at her lower body. ''The rest was just generalization, they always immediately attack me.'' she shrugged ''Not that I blame them, but it doesn't help when you want to talk.''

She quietly observed the elf for any sudden moves, clearly not quite trusting the situation just yet. This wouldn't be the first time someone would suddenly turn around and attack her after she spoke the truth about her little escapades. Nevertheless she was feeling a lot more comfortable with him already then with anyone else. ''Soooo.. I don't think I've seen you before. New around here or are you just -that- sneaky.'' she chuckled, scratching her forehead before focusing on the man again.

She took another long pause, simply listening to her own breathing. Awkwardly rubbing the side of her neck, trying to come up with a conversational topic, honestly she needed to learn how to be social, she always wanted to be but she was terrible at it. ''You.. uh.. You.. an hunter or something?'' she mentally face palmed, stupid question.. She thought, immediately turning toward occupation as a conversational tool... Well, she'd have to roll with it now that it was already past her lips.

Nexialist

Hadarai let a moment of silence pass, save for his own respiration. He pushed himself off of the log now, slowly rising to his feet, before he gave himself a moment to speak. "I am a hunter, but no conventional one. I only hunt beasts for survival, not for sport. The only game I do not consume, quite contrary to your situation, is the bipedal ones. They come to sacred lands within these forests, and those are the ones I am paid to protect. Have you found their corpses yet...?"

He hesitated for a moment, a few thoughts running through his mind. "...I suppose you wouldn't have. They were riddled with a number of my poisons. You still stand, so unless you have the same thick blood as I, you wouldn't have found my leftovers... heh. To answer your earlier question, I suppose you never were perceptive enough to find the culprit behind them either. Not to insult you by any means, but only a select few have ever found me without my intention. Even you, now, could be added to that list, so I suppose I should commend you."

Another quiet handful of seconds flew by, occupied only by breath, water, and wind. "...If people attack you, I feel assured, for some reason, that it is not out of fear. While I feel fear, I run, not attack, unless it was wildly and unarmed. If they were, say, shooting at you in the wild, I suspect they may have been after something else, no? Of course, they could just be trying to drive you off, but I'll always be one to have my theories... Tell me, have you functioned in a society, or are you one with the wild like myself?"

glorilyss

Gentle waves of silver-white light filtered down through the branches, painting the forest in bold strokes of shadow and sterling. Shaded canopies of trees sat like curds of darkness against the deep velvet of the sky, casting clustered blackness in stripes between pools of moonlight. Such moonlight floated down from the heavens, finding a second home in the luminous eyes and upturned face of the skinny figure in a clearing.

Dirt speckled across her face, smudged in fine lines under wide, blue eyes partially obscured by a sweep of lank, pearly hair. The only clean glitter on her face was the small string of tourmaline that crowned her brow, casting bright reflections back like winking stars as she moved. The folds of her gown had once been a glorious froth of mother-of-pearl silk and ruffled hems, but the forest had taken its toll; ragged seams showed where the hem along her thighs had been torn by snatching brambles, and the entire dress looked like it needed a wash - though the faint watermarks along one sleeve showed that washing had probably not been the best idea. Little scratches peeped out from underneath the dress and swirled up and down her legs, feet bare to the earth and filthy as well. Overall, the dirt combined with the slight concavity of her cheeks spoke of hunger and something akin to feral instincts, a skittish tendency toward flight rather than fighting.

The girl had been wandering for days, lost and without the first clue how to properly survive on her own. Her steps traced paths along waterways, keeping to the shaded glens bisected by streams and the abandoned banks of rivers as a sort of guidance system. She had been kneeling by just such a stream when the first sound of voices tickled her ears, buoyed up by the breath of wind that whispered playfully in her hair. Her head snapped up, caution entering the depths behind her eyes, mouth compressing into a thin line. Still, she stood up, tiny feet picking a nearly-silent path along the bank, one hand turned palm-upward and cupping a slowly revolving sphere of water.

When the voices finally were loud enough to make out the individual words, Ilayda paused, her free hand reaching out to brush aside the trailing fronds of a bush. On the other side of the stream, the first thing she noticed was, surprisingly, not the giant scaled half-woman, but the thin figure that was rising from a section of log. However, it didn't take long to realize what she was seeing; as she took in the lines of coiled body and human torso, the youth could hardly stifle a shocked gasp. She raised the hand with the sphere of water, bringing her other up to manipulate its shape in her hands until a long, thin tendril undulated in the air before her. She was terrible at fighting, but it helped to have something that she could use as defense if it came to it. "Who are you? Both of you?" Her voice was a thin treble, nervous but surprisingly obstinate.

Nexialist

In the brief moment of reflex he was granted before the new stranger began to speak, Hadarai nearly tore his bow right off of his torso; or, he would have, had his hand not been stopped by a voice. Typically, communication really was all it took in order to prevent catastrophes. What a thought. He let his arm drop again, albeit slowly, to try and make himself appear harmless as he did to the Lamia. Now was no time for combat, by his standards.

"Hadarai Meliamne, son of Luthias," said he, now letting a cloud of air quietly run out of his mouth so as to purge his body of any lingering adrenaline from the slight scare he'd done his best to conceal, "but alas, I've not learned the name of the one you see behind me. Know that neither of us mean to harm you until you harbor the thought of violence yourself. If not, you're quite free to sit." He said this sternly until that final offer to join the sitting session, primarily because he spoke the last few words as he saw the tattered clothes of the mysterious girl before him. His natural sense of danger, the very one he had refined so aggressively, had been briefly overtaken by a small wave of inherent pity. Seeing someone in what couldn't have been an intentionally poor state was certainly new, what with living near a rather refined city, in a forest where few dared to wander.

As he wrapped up his statement and warning, he took a seat once more, removing his bow from his body and setting it aside. He then glanced back to the creature he'd previously been conversing with for a moment, now having forgotten about just what. One individual's arrival wasn't enough to catch him off guard, but two in succession was certainly a surefire way to flank his perception. Now able to relax and focus again, however, he began to take a moment to observe the two others now around him, just for the sake of being more confident in what to say and what to do around the strangers. How paranoia constantly follows him, leading everyone he met to resemble a trap waiting to be triggered...

The Lamia was an easy one to speak with, considering their kind, for the most part, had no diet for elves, being of similar blood. The one that had shown up a tad more recently, however, was a bit tougher to guess about regarding intent. Her appearance would suggest a nonhostile person, but looks can certainly deceive, and they have before. But, perhaps some sort of an innocence was present by their clothing; its poor state from the environment around the girl would either imply she was lost, fleeing, or both. That strange sense of pity began to surface again, but Hadarai knew he would have to suppress it until introductions were made. He subtly made mental note of where his weapons were set down, in any case. Being fooled from mercy was a familiar feeling, and certainly one that wouldn't be pleasant to go through a second round with.

ValamLym

Arisima contemplated the elves words for a moment, chuckling at his remark about her feeding habits. True, she explicitly dined on humans. Simply because they were just the right size. She had to ponder his other question though. ''I don't eat left overs, I prefer fresh prey.'' she added while nodding intently ''As for my social skills.. I only know how to seduce and trick for hunting purposes.''

Suddenly she heard a voice from the other side of the river. Instinctively she reeled up, lifting herself high into the air with her lower body. When she realized the girl wasn't moving against her she curled up again, orange eyes fixated on the girl. She wasn't keen on sharing her name just yet, instead opting to remain silent and simply nodded in agreement with the elf's statement.

Her first instinct was to attempt to devour the creature, but she quickly suppressed that. Doubting it would have a favorable outcome. Her tongue flicked in and out from between her lips, tasting the air and the new scent the woman had delivered. It seemed... familiar. ''Are you a Fae?'' she inquired pointedly. She was fairly certain, scent almost always betrayed identity and even emotions at times.

glorilyss

The rapid movement of both the elf and the snake-lady instantly made Ilayda uncomfortable; almost out of habit, she drew her right hand back toward her chest, clenching it into a fist to gather the energy before she flung it out. As the elf spoke, she felt a tremor of relief flicker in the pit of her stomach; she hadn't wanted to attack, and surely there was no way that she could fight against two other beings at once. Healing was her strong suit, not hurting; she had only ever been trained in the most basic of self-defense, and though her ability to manipulate water made such things a little easier, she still hadn't been trained to kill.

The offer of company was tempting, a warm balm to the chilliness of isolation. She'd come to this forest after hearing snatches of rumor about its inhabitants, and how only the braver hunters approached. Fleeing from the Tribe of the Blue Flame as she was, she had guessed that this would be the safest place for now, a way to learn how to survive on her own and rest before she found a new place to live, a new kingdom  for herself. It was difficult being the heir to your Tribe one morning, and absolutely nothing the next. Though she was partially dismayed that there were others here - she had been hoping for solitude, if only to keep herself safe - she couldn't deny that fact that loneliness gnawed at her like a hound with a bone. It would be nice to sit... to stop running for a while. The tremulous smile on her face was as dazzling as sunlight on water, and she nodded once. "I'll come over," she called, stepping to the edge of the stream.

Even without the half-woman's keen sense of smell, it would have been obvious as soon as she slid from the partial covering of the bushes that she wasn't quite mundane. The stories of famed faerie grace was no lie; even in tattered clothes and smeared with dirt, there was a sort of liquid elegance in the way she moved, a perfect one-ness with nature that marked her as different. The girl glanced down to the chattering stream below, lifting on bare foot and placing it on the water; with a flick of her fingers, she rested her weight fully on the surface of the brook, feeling the water push up against the soles of her feet with each step. She regained the bank several feet from the scaled lady, giving her a frankly curious stare as she lowered herself to the ground.

"Yes, I am." There was a sense of complete honesty in her face; Ilayda was a bit different than other faeries, in that she appreciated a good joke as much as the next Fae, but was typically less manipulative. As she settled herself against the grass, she cupped her hands together; the whip that had hovered over one hand coalesced into her palms, and she rubbed gratefully at her face. "My name is Ilayda of the Red Sea, daughter-" Her voice caught for a moment, and her eyes dropped. "Daughter of the former chief of the Tribe of the Red Sea. Thank you for inviting me over." She studied her hands intensely for a few moments, not daring to look up and preoccupying herself with the task of cleaning her arms and legs. "Excuse me if you find me rude, but what are you? I've never seen anything like you before," she finally asked, looking toward the snake lady, then turning a puzzled glance toward the elf.