Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

Fickle Knowledge [OPEN]

Started by AevumEternity, March 12, 2017, 07:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Lady Hakon Kilandre ran her fingers through her platinum locks once, twice- the ocean breeze was so very unfamiliar upon her skin. Salted, brisk, with an odd power behind it, as if the waves themselves were pushing the air further forward. She parted her lips to drink in the air," Humph-" she exhales and lurches slightly against the railing of the ship as it paused at the dock.

At last- though the voyage had been cramped and spartan, and she had gotten sick more then once- it was all worth it. All worth reaching Serendipity... The enemy of her beloved Connlaoth. But all for the understanding of the enemies she was trained all her life to combat. Perhaps, by studying amongst mages, she could understand them.

It would take several hours for the ship to unload, which meant she had plenty of time to retrieve Purgatorio and her belongings then find a place to stay. But this was a place of scum and villainy, she would have to move inland swiftly... So that is what she would do.

Less then an hour later, she was leading the great, white Theocog stallion off of the ship carefully- his massive hooves chipping the thick wood. Upon landing on the cobblestone, the stallion prances with brief relief, barely staying still long enough to allow her to fixate the large saddle bags on his wide rump before swinging up as well.

" Alright boy, lets go," clicking her tongue to cause the great Theocog to break into a trot. It was midday, busy- the shield slung over her back and curved sheath at her hip bumping jovially against her body. This would be... Difficult to project a peaceful aura, especially when all around her in a 10 foot radius, all magic was suppressed violently and forcefully... Hm- she supposed they would see then.

Draconian

It was rare for him to be on the coast.

Cadreinth sighed, pushing a hand through his horses mane, petting her muzzle. The blue roan gave a happy noise and pressed against his chest. It was time to go though. The cart had started off ahead of them and he was in common enough clothing that he wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. His hair, should anyone recognize him, might have been a tip off. Luckily, for the most part, the High Lords weren't too well known outside of their own provinces.

So, he rode Thunderstrike along, his own simple pack of provisions and camping on her rump while she trotted along. A leisurely ride home. It would take a while but... It was a needed break and with no one knowing he was gone except for his retainers and he knew that they were following him. At least by a while.

He could hold his own though.

It wasn't until he caught side of a large ... Horse? With a strange number of legs that he gave pause, moving along curiously before he felt it. Ah. What was one of those doing here? A puff of breath to get used to parts of his very being feeling muted, he blinked at the person... Woman? On the back of the... horse? Curious creature that.

"Greetings," He said, pleased and friendly. This wasn't his province, so he wasn't too worried about making a bad first impression, but he knew that even if magic wasn't an option here, there were enough spears around to pierce hearts, should there be a need for it. Cadreinth pushed his hair from his face, the most delicate point to his ears.

"Here on business?" He looked at her shield, eyed her sword, a curious combination before he started to walk beside her, alarmed at how large the Not-Horse was, "Or pleasure?" He nodded to her after a moment, "Because I don't think many people will appreciate an..." He paused, trying to find the right word. Not a Mordecai. The other one. "Adhara? Ruining their enchanted house objects." And sure enough,as he spoke, a broom that had been sweeping dust and fallen flour from a door fell to the ground as they moved passed and Cadreinth could only chuckle.

AevumEternity

Hakon turns slightly in her saddle to gaze at the white haired man at her side, tilting her head as she looked down at him from Purgatorio's great height. As she watched a cart ful of vegetables pulled by nothing suddenly collapse ahead of them- only to right itself once she passes- she winced, she didn't mean to disrupt the peoples' daily lives," Business and perhaps pleasure afterwards- I am merely here to study, though I am certainly no scholar."

She looks him up and down, he couldn't possibly be fully human with that white hair- it reminded her of a certain mage she knew. Offering a tiny smile she furrows her brow," It's a pleasure to meet you sirrah- uh- what should i call you?" Pushing a straight silver lock from her face as she gazes at him with sharp hazel-grey eyes. She seemed fatigued, the same fatigued yet predatory stance of her body telling a tale of a hundred battle and many wars that weighed upon a young mind.

Draconian

Study?

Cadreinth's eyebrows shot up his forehead.

Study.

An adhara?

From Connlaoth.

He winced for her after a moment, shoulder's back while they meandered along. "Well, for one, I am neither younger than you, nor am I of a lower social standing so, I am no Sirrah," He stated simply, looking over his shoulder to her. How much about Serendipity did Connlaoth allow it's countrymen to know? Cadreinth didn't imagine a lot.

They hated magic.

Why would any information about Serendipity cross the borders north?

His odd coloured yellow eyes caught her hazel and he looked at her for a moment. Obviously she was tired from her journey, he could only assume she'd just pulled up to port. The more interesting part of any of that was just how exactly had she caught a boat here from Connlaoth. He wasn't aware they had many ports at all. Then again, his knowledge of the country was minimal beyond what news traveled south and ports had never been an important part of that.

"My name is Cadreinth," He said simply, giving her a polite nod, "You may call me as such." Of course he noticed her stature, a curious look in his eyes to her shoulder and neck, wondering just how much war was going on up there that led such a young woman to look so... Used and tired. Curious indeed. Then he paused and smiled at her, "By the way, Sirrah is how you address your inferiors, Madam," He smiled at her, "Though I don't expect a solider to know as much. So you're forgiven. This time." Another smile and he nudged Thunderstrike along.

"So. How do you plan on getting into a college?" He asked curiously, "You're neither a mage and you would interrupt the mages who do attend."

AevumEternity

She felt a slight jolt- oh God he was one of those. She assumed it was only a matter of time until he told her how to sit on Purgatorio, nonetheless, she would tolerate his presence for now, as conversing with an vaguely non-human could allow her to seem less intimidating. Offering a small smile, she blinks slowly, her gaze locking with his as she murmurs," I apologize, it's not often I meet an upstanding citizen such as yourself by pure coincidence especially in a foreign nation," she answers lightly before turning away. Her hair flew before her face with a blast of ocean breeze, creating a blonde veil which she tucks behind her ear carefully.

" I was informed of a former professor who had pushed for peace between Connlaoth and Serendipity, he reached out to the Mordecai months ago offering to teach ways to subdue mages peacefully rather then with pure force... Especially those with biologoical abilities," she pauses for a moment, looking toward him," He offers his estate as a training ground... Why am I even saying all this-" she mutters under her breath, lowering her head. She was never good in social settings- ugh why did she bother to speak.

Draconian

Cadreinth tried not to laugh. Body language spoke more than words and he could tell he prickled her in a wrong way. There was a moment of feeling, perhaps, a little guilty, but he smiled all the same and listened to her speak curiously. Politely. It was interesting to him that she took offense so quickly when he'd only been trying to help. Why address someone inferior at all if you didn't know them?

Ah well. Must have been a Connlaothian thing.

"The two countries are at peace," He said simply, perhaps a little confused. There were no wars going on between the nations. As far as he was aware, except for the occasional rebel or mage sneaking past the mountains into Serendipity they had almost no contact except for the ambassador. The information was new and Cadreinth bristled at it. Why were Serenians getting involved in a civil war? That would only get the whole country pulled in.

"A..." Cadreinth looked at her curiously, his expression stoic and his posture relaxed while they made their way through the port town. He'd never cared for the smell of the ocean or fish, of which there was abundance here. "Which... Province might this be in?" He asked politely, "and I didn't catch your name Lady...?"

AevumEternity

" Major- no," she sighs, war titlles were for war, she was a foreign visitor," Lady Hakon Kilandre, it's a pleasure,Cadreinth," looking up once again and wincing as another assortment of items clatter to the ground from a levetating piece of wood that served as a table- moving the Theocog into a slight swifter gait.

" Peace breaks all the time, sir- but it often only snaps in the political rooms or in tiny clearings in the forests and mountains that seperate us," she looks up with a tiny smile," There's a special few who act as the stitches in that peace treaty of ours." She blinks and rests a hand on Purgatorio's arching neck.

Draconian

"Indeed. A pleasure, Lady Hakon," He echoed, looking as the items clattered to the ground and he gave a laugh, entertained to far to wide a degree. Oh, this was rich. Cadreinth shook his head, entertained. For reasons obvious, he'd never met an Adhara or a Mordecai before. The ability, while it happened on occasion here, was far more common in the country to the North. For good reason, clearly they bred for it.

Cadreinth listened to her, smiling politely all the while.

For a solider she seemed to think she was politically well informed. Adorable.

"Am I to assume you wish to be one of this... Special sticthes?  and does that mean you don't know where it is?" He inquired, politely, an eyebrow lifted. Then he paused, smiling and nodding at her, "I myself am on my way to the riverlands" He sighed, shoulders relaxed, "I'd be happy to help you along your way. Not many people won't take well to ... Someone like you." He said softly, perhaps apologetically.

It wasn't her fault she was an Adhara.

AevumEternity

Hakon pauses, she would not bother answering all of his questions, perhaps he would find the answer in time. As her hand gently plunged through the white-pepper mans of the massive charger, she looks up at his offer," Then- I suppose you are welcome to join me," she murmurs, falling silent once more.

She was unsure what to make of this man- but there were several things she was certain of: first, he was no threat. Second, he was intelligent, quite sharp in terms of perspective and observation, but... All else was rather up in the air. Third, he would become her 'battle buddy' for the next several hours at the very least.

" I am headed in that direction- but I believe it would be best for me to depart this city quickly." She answers, pausing as several soldiers appeared. Her brow furrowed slightly, she had heard stories of how lawless Coastal Serendipity was- so it was expected that perhaps the 'law' was corrupted as well. Even though she had official documents, it was rather up in the air on how willing they would be to take such papers.

Draconian

That direction.

Cadreinth tried not to smile again, looking in 'that direction' which was inland and not much of a direction at all. For the time being though, that was where he was going as well. Probably a good number of people. Did that mean she didn't know? His keen eye noticed the soldiers and he nudged his horse along, ignoring them.

When they moved to converge on Hakon, he grabbed the reins beside her hand and tugged her along.

The soldier's moved again and Cadreinth gave them a simple curious look.

"Is there a problem, gentlemen?" He kept his hand on her horses? reins tight in his hand. His chin straight, shoulders squared. The guards shuffled slightly, holding their spears and looking at one another for a moment.

"We've reports from local businesses of a disturbance," One finally piped up, voice a little weary, looking at Cadreinth.

"Ah yes, my companion is an Adhara, poor creature," He looked at her with sympathy - what a horrible condition - and then back to the guards, "We are on our way out of town though. I'm sure that will be enough?" The men shuffled again, giving more weary glances to Cadreinth, a flicker of recognition. The High Lord simply raised his chin and an eyebrow and a few words died in the mans mouth before he could speak.

"Really now. There's hardly this much enchanted mundane objects in Jadenshine," He complained softly, "Hardly the Adhara's fault for other peoples laziness." A soft shake of his head and a soft 'tsk' from his mouth and he nudged his mare along, guiding Hakon's horse while the guards watched them. Weary. A little confused and a lot concerned.

AevumEternity

As he grasped the reigns of the six-legged destrier's reigns he was immediately met with the creature tossing its head upward, trying to tug away until Hakon rests her hand upon the thickly muscled neck. The beast's ears angled toward Cadreinth, its bright blue eyes trained harshly upon him, clearly it was an intelligent mustang, loyal to its master.

Hakon hunches her back and keeps her gaze downcast as he spoke. Her eyes flicker toward him briefly... If he had pull with the guard like that, could speak to them in such a way- he had to have some standing. She straightens as they move away, watching them slink off into the alleys of the coastal city before breathing a quiet sigh.

" Just Cadreinth, hm?" She murmurs, glancing at him as Purgatorio again tossed his head rebelliously, clearly displeased this white haired stranger's direction was trumping his rider's

Draconian

What a poor tempered... Cadreinth would really have to ask what sort of beast this was. He glanced down at the multitude of legs and tried not to sigh. What a thing for a Connlaothian to try to improve upon. A horse. Still, he frowned at the horse and let go when he chose to, though the beast throwing his head had his arm jerk, his muscles tensed and he held true while the guards were around.

"Yes, just Cadreinth. Silinrul is my surname, if you're curious" He he smiled at her, letting go of the reins and giving the beast a look. Clearly it was a warhorse, too ill tempered to be anything but. Perhaps they didn't breed good tempers into the beasts? Maybe that extra set of legs was more important than good personality. No matter. Wasn't his horse and beyond simple curiosity he didn't really care.

"Why?" He smiled, "Are Connlaothinan guards not so... Easy to talk to?" A pale eyebrow was raised and he pushed his hand through his hair again to get it out of his eyes. The blues,greens and yellows of his opal hair shone in the sunlight and he sighed and rolled his shoulder, nudging Thunderstrike along again. "We had a simple solution for their immediate problem. You're causing a disturbance and we are leaving. Once you're gone, there will be no disturbance." Cadreinth shrugged because it was that simple but... He supposed for a seeming warmonger such a simple solution was probably not highest on their list.

Soon enough the town dissipated to a gravel road and a grassy field, leading away into forests. "So. We're about a week and a half away from Arca on horseback - That's in Kia's Court," He supplied, doubtful that she knew what a map of the country looked like and he couldn't blame her. Knowing where the duchy's were in Connlaoth was hardly important to him as a lad and it was still not important as a High Lord. "That's the Capitol of Serendipity. And as long as you keep that weapon of your's sheathed you should be fine - pitied for being an adhara at worst - I doubt they'd let you stay alive if you drew a blade in a city."

AevumEternity

Hakon keeps her gaze fixed ahead as he leads them from the city, she didn't wish to speak to him- nor look at him. He was the type that would treat her merely as a dull grunt, speak down to her, bash her country verbally until she wished to draw her blade and cut that silvered tongue out... She grits her teeth but keeps quiet until they leave the city gates. She did not bother to reprimand and defend herself and countrymen.

" Adhara Santus, dona mihi patientiam..." (Saint Adhara, give me patience)

She mutters under her breath, closing her eyes as she clasped her hands upon the saddlehorn of Purgatorio's saddle. She glances up at last as he mentions their destination," Kia's Court-" she echoes softly,"- I am headed to Jadenshine., the Professor retired there... He marked the location- a village called Drackma-" she takes a moment to fumble about her robes, producing a map which she unfolds carefully, the damp paper seeming sticky with salt as she carefully pries it open, offering it to him. She may not like him but dammit- she was not fool enough to give away help... Sirinrul- she couldn't help but be briefly caught off guard by the man's beauty. She had only met one other to catch her i such a way- and that woman was far across the sea, seducing legions of lusty fools to serve as her glorified merchant fleet.

She blinked rapidly before looking away, focusing upon Purgatorio, pressing her hand flat against his muscled neck. The stallion was glaring murder at Cadreinth- at least it seemed more intelligent then the average equine.

Draconian

At the mention of the Province of Jadenshine, his province, he shot Hakon a look. Why would that be happening in the middle of the country? Why had he never heard of such traitorous going ons before? Still, Cadreinth kept his calm, looking at the map curiously, committing the location of this village to memory before he rolled the parchment and handed it back. Cadreinth chose to ignore her plea to her Saint, letting only a ghost of a smirk on his lips. Was he that trying?

Probably.

What an introduction for a Connlaothian soldier.

Poor girl.

Cadreinth nodded at her, "Well, I had assumed you were headed to Arca - I am headed to Jadenshine," He didn't supply why, "Though, We can part ways in Arca and you can find your own way to the province." He recalled the map, shaking his head. Drackma. He'd have to remember that name if someone was training Mordecai there.  It made him bristle and his mouth taste bad. Maybe he could shuffle them to Darken Vei and contact Doryx about it, that was much closer to the boarder. Though, he was sure Doryx, who was much more a mage than he, would have the Mordecai slaughtered like cattle. Which was of no consequence to him.

"Jadenshine is a large province," He stated simply, blinking at the woman who looked a little larger than life and if it hadn't been for looking so war worn she'd have fit in fine with most people of Serendipity. "So, what's the name of your ill tempered beast?"  Cadreinth smiled at Purgatorio, tilting his head curiously, "I'm not sure if he hates me because I'm a man or because I'm beside you."

AevumEternity

She observed his facial features changing rapidly, as soon as she spoke of Jadenshine, he looked as if he had just swallowed an insect before changing back into that bored half-smile. Oh? Had she finally tweaked a nerve? At last- she couldn't help but smile and shake her head slightly as she looks away," Purgatorio. My prized charger," she murmurs, saying nothing more- she had argued that bringing a Theocog along this journey was ill advised, but she also knew if Purgatorio was left behind he would like go wild... And she wasn't planning upon returning home to a mess.

Stroking his neck as the stallion clopped along, its multitude of forelegs working in surprisingly smooth cohesion- muscles rippling under the sparse, silvery flank as he moves. He turns his head toward his rider, briefly flaring his lips at her as if in a grin- or perhaps a mocking smirk at Cad. Ooooh he knew this shiny human annoyed his human so he would do all he could to make life hell.

Draconian

Purgatorio.

It suited the beast.

After the last brief glance to the beast, Cadreinth gave a nod to the woman. Not very chatty but he could understand why. No doubt she was tired from the journey here and he couldn't fault her for not wanting to talk. There was no illusion that sometimes he could be a bit much for people. The Not-Horses expression was lost on Cadreinth who wasn't looking at Purgatorio anymore, focused on the road ahead. He'd gotten the answer he wanted to all the questions he had asked in one form or another.

"Did you have your journey planned out?" He asked curiously, looking up at Hakon, perched high on her beast, "I can't imagine your advisers sent you to a foreign country without your route plotted out for you," A part of him was curious as to just who she was. It annoyed him that she ignored him but without giving himself away he couldn't exactly demand answers about the place she was headed to. "Or did you plan on camping the whole journey to Jadenshine?"

Of course, his advisers had plotted out his journey. He knew where he was going to be every night and when he was going to camp. How far behind him his guards were. How far ahead of him his guards were. Lady Hakon didn't need to know that though.

AevumEternity

Hakon hesitates a moment before speaking, as if steeling himself for another verbal roast," We attempted to get in contact with several tens if not hundreds of establishments upon the trail, alas- only one answered rather positively to the offer of a housing Mordecai for a single night. This tavern, alas, is in the midst of Kia's Court- far out of the way of main highways and so on. So to put it simply- we tried, and having a small battalion with me would be most unfavorable to the public eye, no?"

Pushing her hair over her shoulder, she twisted in her saddle to retrieve a thick cloak of black linen and wool from a saddlebag, fastening it over her shoulders," We tried. So I may be sleeping under the stars for several days or longer to be sure. Are you yourself not an outdoorsman?" she inquires, glancing at him with vague curiosity as much as an attempt to try her hand at small talk.

Draconian

Hm.

He'd been unaware so many places would turn down good coin for a night of being unable to use magic. Cadreinth figured it a silly thing but he supposed it was faster than boiling water and he himself employed a few hearth mages for that very reason. It was just easier.

"Yes. Several hundred soldiers would indeed look bad," Kia knew if that showed up in his province he'd demand answers. The bigger question was, why send an Adhara at all if it was so much trouble?  "Well, no worries My Lady, you're in good company and it wouldn't do well to give you a bad impression of Serendipity now, would it?" Cadreinth nudged Thunderstrike along, bred for travel, she bumbled along at a leasurely pace.

"Drackma, you said?" His voice was soft and he closed his eyes for a moment, remembering the map. He'd have to get thay investigated if that was going on right under his nose, "Are you affiliated with the Church's Mordecai?" He tilted his head, looking to Hakon again. She didnt really look like a Sister but... No doubt he didnt look like his roll either.

AevumEternity

Hakon glances at him, offering a vaguely vicious grin," Sort of. I am more of a Military woman though I was trained by the Mordecai." she pauses and looks away, smile fading faintly," Too brusque for the Knights of the White Lily, too powerful for the average armed forces, too non-religious for the Mordecai." Hakon blinks and tilts her head toward him with a tiny smile, her teeth flashing white.

" But too obscure for you to probably know. My official rank is Major, Major Kilandre of the Heavy Cavalry Unit Ansgar's Hand." She quirks an eyebrow at him curiously," And you- you are not an average man, are you? I refuse to believe you are simply an occupational wanderer."

Draconian

"And so modest," Cadreinth teased, smiling widely. What an enigma. A Connlaothian military woman. Also an adhara. He had no need to know of units in the Connlaothian civil war so, she was correct on that front. His wide smile turned into a smaller one and he tried his best to look bashful.

"Me?" Cadreinth shrugged and looked down at himself, dressed not like a pauper but not overly fancy. "I'm about average for a Serenian. Why? Am I too pretty?" He chuckled to himself for a moment, turning to look ahead, "I'm ... In politics, i guess you could say. Though, if need be, I can draw a sword as well as any soldier." A side ways look to Hakon, " Overwhelmed yet? I imagine what little you've seen so far has your back bristling."