Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

God. Make Me Anew.

Started by AevumEternity, April 22, 2017, 09:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AevumEternity

Hakon rests the white lillies upon the freshly laid soil. She presses her bare palm against the cool earth, blinking in confusion as clear droplets landed upon the back of her palm. Curling her fingers in the deep chocolate dirt. She brought her hand up and wiped her eyes.

Oh. She was crying.

She didn't even remember what it was like to cry so freely.

The black ring on her finger caught her eye and the tears flowed more freely. She slowly crumpled to her knees, wrapping the cloak about her head to cover her face, to hide her grief and agony from the world. Hakon felt, in that moment, she would never live as she had. Never feel happiness as she had. Never feel that same warmth she had before him. Before Aven Alveron. Her shoulders heaved beneath the cloak as she sobbed. Her mind was a blurr nothing would be the same... Or would it be the same? That was a terrifying thought. That everything would be as it was before she had him.

Everything changed tonight, everything ended.

" Ansgar, make me new again..."

Hours passed, she grieved there in that garden in the middle of the Reajh until the moon rose high and she fell asleep on the cool dirt and grass. Her platinum hair framed her face akin to beams of white light. She curled her legs beneath the black woolen cloak, curling her knees to her chest as her fingers remained buried in the dirt of the grave and the other cradled her cheek. Her eyes moving beneath her eyelids as she dreamed whatever dreams could haunt and bless a Major, an Adhara and a young woman who lived as many lives as a country at war could offer.

So she slept, a sleep so deep it would take the war itself to pull her into the waking world again. Or perhaps, a simple disturbance could do the trick just as well. She hoped, vaguely, in the back of her mind- that when she awoke... Life would be different yet... Better.

Chenquey

Finally, time off work. It had taken ages to get approved for three weeks leave, but now Yokeda had plenty of time to study new things. But right now, he wanted to just think about everything that has been going on.

He made his way through the city to the garden that was, in his mind, the only spot of beauty in this city. Yokeda went, deciding to simply bring a book that he had acquired from a short stay in serendipity. He arrived at the garden, without any armor on, merely a light grey cloak, thick boots, a padded shirt, and wool pants.

He gazed around, and sighed contently, breathing in the crisp air and savoring every part of the garden, from the flowers to even the dirt. This was his favorite place in Connlaoth to just come and think or read. As he walked into the garden, Yokeda became aware that there was someone asleep in the garden, in front of a grave. He nearly passed it off as a random mourner, until he saw the platinum hair. He recognized it from the time he had served in the military and he had only ever seen one person with that color hair. It was Hakon Kilandre, leader of the Ansgar's Hand unit. Who was she mourning?

Yokeda decided it would be best not to bother her, and laid down on a large rock and opened his book and began reading about the history of sendipity's culture and how the nation got to where it was today. It was fascinating to him, but he couldn't get his mind off of Major Kilandre, what had caused her to fall asleep at a grave?

AevumEternity

It was the crackling sound of a page turning that broke into the unsteady dreams and nightmares. That caused her eyes to groggily flicker open as the moon beams offered little light to aide in focusing her vision. She pushed herself up stiffly, groaning despite herself. She reached up to brush the last scraps of soil from her cheek and brush the earthen crumbs from her hair instinctively, still unable to focus uon anything within sight but for the low headstone. Her breath caught in her throat but no more tears fell. Perhaps Ansgar was allowing her a bit of His strength. She would offer Him more tribute soon enough.

Again, the sound of dry paper swishing against similiarly dry paper caught her attention, the Major shifted from her knees onto her backside, carefully keeping the cloak wrapped about her as she narrows her grey eyes- trying to locate the source in the darkness and through her blurry vision.

" State your name." Her voice sounded raw, not like herself- she cleared her throat shortly afterwards. There was a masquerade she had to keep up with. She could not fail especially in the eyes of someone who was literate, often literacy corresponde with intelligence- and intelligence was far more dangerous then any weapon man could make.

Chenquey

Well, it seemed that Yokeda had accidentally woken the sleeping Major. He quickly shut the book, with the clapping sound of the pages coming together echoing into the night. Shame, he had been in the middle of a section about Serendipity and foreign relations. He sat up, and set the book down on the rock. He slid his way off the rock and stepped into the moonlight where he could be clearly seen, and clasped his hands behind his back.

"My name is Yokeda Eldan Blyte, I am sorry to have woken you Major Kilandre, I only came to think and maybe get some reading done by the light of the moon." His face was passive and inactive, but his eyes were curious and darting around taking in every detail of the situation, hinting that his mind was doing the same thing; assessing the situation with great interest. Behind his back, his hands were fidgeting, betraying something that he hadn't felt for years; He was nervous. He clenched his hands tighter together, until the knuckles turned white.

Despite the fact that it was the middle of the night, the moonlight illuminated the entire area, and Yokeda could see the clear evidence that Hakon had been crying in the redness in her eyes, and the fact that where she had laid her head was slightly damper than the surrounding area. He decided to tastefully not bring that up.

AevumEternity

Hakon looke down, hoping the darkness would hide her face enough to save her some semblence of shame. Carefully she began to brush her fingers through her hair, stroking out the tangles and debris as she slowly began to lace the whispy strands into a braid over her shoulder," Yokeda Eldan Blyte-" she echoes, clearing her throat again," If you know of me you know of my reputation. I apologize to you for seeing me in such a state."

Slowly she pushed herself into a standing position, pausing as a sudden light headedness washed over her, blood struggling to rush about her body as she briefly flushed and swayed unsteadily. Her hands dropped to her knees, keeping her upright," Forgive me, sir- ugh-" she grunts under her breath but forces herself to straighten completely, now gazing upon the man before her- whatever she saw, she admittedly found it lacking in combative prowess. He seemed the delicate type, but from the thoughtfulness of his words, she assumed he was a  bureaucrat, perhaps that was for the best, it would save him from the draft, along with those men whom fell into the Arms of the Church.

She paused, social interaction never having been her forte as she was usually talking savagely between her comrades or barking orders at some hapless ensign," If... I may-" she starts,"- what bringgs yo uhere so late at night, Sir Blyte?"

Chenquey

It appeared that the Major had quite a bit of pride, understandable, that as a Major, she would feel the need to keep a strong and stoic visage. Yokeda grabbed his book, and held it up to the moonlight. "Well Major, I have just procured a small three week leave from service in order to relax and enjoy myself, and I often come here late at night to get some thinking or reading done in this beautiful place. At night it just seems to feel that much better. Also, there is no need for formalities; Yokeda is fine."

Yokeda's eyes stopped wandering, and focused on the Hakon's face. She seemed to be examining him with a critical stare, and he wondered what she was thinking, after all, first impressions are everything. Yokeda's first impression of the Major was odd, he had heard so much about the fearless leader of Ansgar's Hand, but she seemed to be a wreck tonight.

Yokeda thought for a small bit, whether asking about why she was here would be a good idea, his curiosity gained the better of him. "If I may be so bold as to ask, what has caused you to feel the need to sleep here in this garden?" He asked, his voice holding a casual tone.

AevumEternity

His question immediately drew her into laughter, though the sound was forced and hollow it was her natural response to being placed in a rather awkward position. Quickly she covered her mouth with a hand until she calmed down and took a steadying breath, forcing a smile," Well- that is honestly a rather complicated question," she returns cryptically, lowering her hand as she chides lightly," So you're a soldier then? What unit, if I may?"

Hakon's eyes followed the book into the moonlight, briefly wondering what it could possibly hold that would suspend someone for hours. Though she could read and write, it was never one of her interests despite her admiration for those who did hold it in such regard. His rather casual deamnour was off putting. When men knew of her name, they often began to challenge her, as was the case in a patriarchal society, a women who out ranked a man would find herself constantly in battle whether it be social or... Otherwise.

Chenquey

The laughter startled him, it was quite unexpected; he hadn't thought the question was so funny. When she flipped the conversation and asked him a question, he took mental note, she was changing the subject. He must have accidentally trod on a sore subject. "Yes Major, I am currently part of the infantry, though I control my own battalion." His face showed rare emotion and he smiled, thinking of his men before it settled back into an impassive mask.

Yokeda then followed her eyes to the book, and he rotated it so the spine was facing her and the title was legible. "A brief history of Serendipity. I find learning fascinating, knowledge is the most dangerous thing in the world. That's why in some ancient nations, only the most powerful people in the country were allowed to read. Through knowing history, we can avoid the mistakes of our predecessors."

AevumEternity

As he spoke, she reached up, carefully unfastening and refastening the pendant that held her cloak against her throat, watching his with a vaguely sympathetic smile," I see- so are you of nobility? It is rather unexpected for mere foot soldiers to know how to read let alone have particularly idealistic opinions such as you," she comments vaguely. Even if her words were blunt, there was truth to them- as harsh as it may be.

Carefully she considered him, he was... Unusual, perhaps her dearest cousin the Duke of Vythe would enjoy having an inquisitive body guard. Or one that was at the very least literate. Then again, Daemion did not enjoy a thing in the world but for spoiling his dearest sister Elenoir. But- who knew? She watches him, taking in Yokeda's stance, form and visage now- her mind no longer awhirl of emotion.

Chenquey

He shrugged after her comment, "Yes, I do happen to be of nobility, though I prefer not to view myself as a noble, because then you go around thinking that you're better than someone simply due to your position in life. I would also like to point out that I happen to be a lieutenant, not just a common foot soldier." He answered, with only slight inflection to his voice.

Though he wouldn't show it, the comment about mere foot soldiers peeved Yokeda quite a bit. Not because he believed himself to be so much superior to the foot soldiers that made up the army, but because it sounded like Hakon believed that she was, and that really irked him, because he hated people who acted superior.

AevumEternity

Seeming to catch a stray note of annoyance in his voice, her eyebrows rose carefully but she said nothing regarding this rather discreet observation," Forgive me, it is not often I have the chance to converse with infantrymen," she admits quietly. The Major suddenly began to move, placing one foot in front of the other to approach him, at first somewhat unsteadily but with increasing confidence hntil she stood before him.

Her hand appeared from beneath the cloak, extending toward him to shake his hand. Perhaps he would notice the callouses and scars upon her palm, akin to a man'd but still somehow effeminate. She offers a vague smile, a tired one that crinkled the corners of her eyes," I never had the opportunity to shake your hand, I do applaud you sir. You've treated me with exceptional open mindedness,"

Chenquey

Yokeda returned the smile, showing perfect white teeth. "Well, I'm glad that I've caused you to reconsider. If you ever want to get to learn about the other units, I can tour you through the job of us Infantrymen sometime." He spoke with clear emotion now, his impassive visage melted away.

He met her outstretched hand with one of his, and gave a firm handshake, paying attention to the fact that she had several scars and calluses; likely from years of fighting. "It's an honor to shake your hand Major, it's a joy being complimented by someone as prestigious as yourself."

AevumEternity

As he relaxed, he seemed to allow his visage to change, which caused the Major to smile. She never wanted anyone to feel as if they had to wear a mask about her even though she kept her own held high. She pressed his hand, attempting to convey some warmth and camaraderie," Please, I'm just a cavalrymen who wears especially thick armor," she muses quietly.

Her eyes flicker to him, searching his face, as if looking for something familiar," You wouldn't happened to have fought along side me, would you?"

Chenquey

Yokeda took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.  He nodded to her to show that he understood and appreciated the gesture. "Well, if you've participated in any battles in the last seven years, then it is most likely I have." He then looked down and chuckled softly before raising his head again, "And what battles they have been." 

Yokeda's brow furrowed; as if trying to remember something. He snapped his fingers, "In fact, I think I remember a specific battle about two years ago, when my battalion and I joined up with another group to exterminate what was supposed to be a 'Small group of mages'. It turned out to be roughly two thousand mages, all of them quite capable. The troops were out numbered, and then out of nowhere, rode in a cavalry force that mowed down the opposition. They left before we could get a chance to thank them, but I believe that the lead rider was mounted on a massive six legged warhorse. That wouldn't happen to be you would it?"

AevumEternity

She blinks, vaguely seeming to recall a battle of such. Long, long ago- the mountains towering high above her unit as Mages seemed to descend upon all sides. The manical fear that came with purely fighting for survival- when order and drilling meant nothing but the instinct from years of training became the only thing to keep an individual sane....

She cracks a smile," I do remember that- from long ago-" she murmurs wistfully," I still cannot believe so many of us managed to survive, I suppose that is why training comes before all else, hm?" She shrugs gently, releasing his hand as she steps politely back, allowing him his space," Yokeda, perhaps you would be willing to join me for a drink?@

Chenquey

His grin widened, he had come here tonight to read and maybe think a bit, now he had made acquaintance with a great soldier. Yokeda was glad to be talking with someone outside his unit for once. The Major had a point; If not for the rigorous training, the brain forgets what to do in the heat of battle and defaults to sloppy maneuvers and ineffective tactics.

"Major, I would be delighted to accompany you for a drink." Yokeda tucked the book into his cloak and dropped his arms to his side, projecting a relaxed atmosphere.

AevumEternity

She smiles again, increasingly relaxed as she drops her hands to her side, carefully closing her cloak around her once more- the effects of sleeping on cold earth with nothing nut her cloak was certainyl taking effect. She felt sick- weak. Nothing a little Matron's root couldn't curse, she was sure. Moving slightly past him, she paused, just beneath an arch of branches and foliage, taking a momrnt to look at the great tangle of brush and blossom above before focusing back upon Yokeda.

" Kilandre-" she spoke after a moment," It is only fair you have the right to address me by my name, if you allow me your name," she tilts her head and smiles vaguely

Chenquey

Yokeda looked down and exhaled, his breath crystallizing in the cold. He then shivered slightly, it was a cold night. He then looked back at Hakon, "Well then, Kilandre, I appreciate that." He looked over her, and saw that despite the fact that she was trying to look strong, a nap face down in dirt in the middle of the night probably wasn't the best for you. He figured that she of all people could overcome whatever was ailing her.

He stepped forward, "So where would you suggest we go to get these drinks?" Yokeda spoke with a friendly smile.

AevumEternity

Hakon smiles faintly, cocking her head slightly away as if staring beyond the gardens," There is a place where Officers go on particularly uneventful nights, the Crest. I suppose it is an officer's club- but I see no reason why it needs to be exclusive, so perhaps we can break a tradition and drop a few jaws by bringing you in for a warm meal, hm?" She offers a surprisingly warm smile, though tired and perhaps delirious as it may be.

Damn. She really wanted some food and drink in her belly as well as a warmer cloak to hug about her right about now. No- this was not the worst weather she had ever endured, but if she could avoid discomfort, she tended to do her best to do so. She began to walk away," Come- lets head out Yokeda,"

Chenquey

Yokeda's eyes widened slightly, he had heard of the Crest, but had never gone personally. What she had said was true, it wasn't against the rules for lower ranking soldiers, but it was very rare that you would see one there. He felt that to just sit down somewhere it was warm and out of the wind would be nice for both of them. After all, Hakon still didn't look or sound too good.

He laughed briefly, a clear sound that pierced the night. "Sounds great Kilandre." He broke into a steady gait, easily catching up with Hakon. As he walked along, Yokeda place both hands on his spine and pushed, and as his back popped, he let out a sigh of relief, that had been bothering him for a while now.