Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

And the Hair Stands Up on the Back of Your Neck

Started by DragonSong, February 09, 2018, 06:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonSong

Brother and sister exchanged a quick look, speaking silently.

Should we-?

No.

But-

No!

We're going.

Bo gave a growl of annoyance as Arryn wriggled out of her grasp and darted after the stranger, but what could she do, save follow? "I swear if that boy doesn't get himself killed here, I'm going to murder him," she muttered to herself.

Their destination was a bit of a shock, especially to the young lord. He glanced around the cosy space with a soft, impressed whistle. "Not bad."

Celegwen

Kery closed the little door, facing his guests and never removing the cloth mask from the lower half of his face. "Call me Shadow," he said. "No, it's not my real name, and no, I'm not telling you my real name. This is one of my many hideouts around Zantaric; you'll be safe here."

He lit a few more candles and sat down on a chair. Sizing the two of them up, it was clear that the boy was much more enthusiastic about being there than his guard.

"The people in red are allies," Kery said. "Mindy Hughes and her ex, Luke Stroud. Luke is pure blooded Fae with power over lightning, and Mindy has three stolen dragon souls at her command. Basically, both are good to have on your side. "

The elves that you met are Selusa and Alderon Finicci. Do yourselves a favor and don't underestimate them. Selusa is a very talented woman, so you really don't want her pissed at you. Alderon... He's a bit of an enigma. All I know is that he's one of the Friends, and he has a dark history involving prison and slavery. Further than that, I have no idea. Both of them could either do you a world of good, or cause your lives to be a living hell."

He took a breath, glancing around. "By the way, you didn't get any of this information from me. I'm a friend, but you have to make sure to watch your own backs. Any questions?"

DragonSong

Bo and Arryn exchanged a look.

"Yes." The guard shifted slightly, protectively standing in front of her brother. "Why exactly did you help us? What do you want?"

Arryn shot her a quick frown, then added, "Not that we aren't grateful, sir. Just...confused."

Celegwen

"I don't get insulted," Kery said, waving off the boy's explanation. "Let's just say I'm one of the few people who actually stays on the good side of things. I collect information and kill people who deserve it."

He realized how that must've sounded completely contradictory, but it was true. He saw it as a way of cleaning up the city.

"I helped you because Selusa isn't exactly my favorite person in the world and Alderon just pisses me off. Anything to annoy them makes my life infinitely better. Now, I helped you out of a sticky situation, so you're going to pay me. Not with money, but information. What kind of business are you two here on?"

DragonSong

Another glance exchanged, Arryn's eyebrows raising and Bo's coming together in a dark frown.

"My- guard and I are here to renew an old contract between my family and a trading company that operates out of the city," the young lord said after a moment, turning back tot their rescuer.

Celegwen

Kery rolled his eyes. "Drop the act, kid," he said. "I know there's more of a relationship between you two, than just guard and charge. I make it my business to know people. What it is? Romantic? Family?"

He narrowed his eyes at the two of them, trying to figure it out without having them lie to him.

DragonSong

At the word "romantic" Arryn went bright red and actually gagged. "Kia, no! No no no no no! Ew, no."

Bo sighed and rubbed at her temples. "Right. You could probably guess we're...more familial, then."

Celegwen

"So, siblings," Kery concluded.

He smirked, though he knew they couldn't see his mouth, his eyes would probably give it away. "Trading company, huh? What's the trade? There are a lot of different trades out of here, not many of which are run by upstanding citizens."

DragonSong

Bo snorted and shot her brother a sharp look. He ignored her primly. "Raw materials," he answered crisply. "They ship them up north to our estate and we-"

Bo elbowed him and he cut off with a sharp yelp, glaring at her.

Celegwen

Kery released a long sigh. It wasn't likely that they would trust him fully, but he just saved their asses and was basically telling them that he would help them out in a village meant to break even the strongest. All he wanted was information!

"Look, guys," he started, clearly growing annoyed by the hesitance. "I'm literally asking for information. I don't give a shit if your family's into shady shit. Most families are. Why the secrecy?"

DragonSong

"Because I don't trust you," Bo responded bluntly. She shrugged. "Don't take it personally or anything, I don't trust anyone. And my brother's an idiot."

"OI!" Arryn glowered at her, then looked to Kery. "My...brother only means that he believes it pays to be cautious. And he thinks I'm not cautious enough.

Celegwen

"It's fucking information," Kery said, growing more and more irritated. "I'm not going to sell it to the next random fucker on the street. I save your asses, and all I want is a few facts in return. I think it's an even trade, but if you don't, I'll up the deal. You tell me what I want, and I give you something on me."

The man closed his eyes briefly, almost like he was gathering courage. He pulled the fabric wrap down from the bottom of his face to reveal the awful acid burns that singed his face to the bone.

DragonSong

Arryn's eyes widened and Bo whistled softly. "Ouch."

"Bo!" her brother hissed, glaring at her. A gentle elbow to remind her to be polite. Turning back to their rescuer, trying not to stare to much, he said quickly, "Look, honestly we're not all that interesting. We take ore and gems and such and turn them into weapons that better hold enchantment. It's common practice in Serendipity, our estate just happens to be very good at it."

Celegwen

Kery pulled his cloth mask back over his face and furrowed his brows. "That is some valuable information," he thought aloud. "So, why are you here, then? Deal gone sour? Renewing the contract? What's the reasoning?"

DragonSong

"Contract renewal." Arryn shrugged. "I took over the estate rather recently, and it's customary to meet with our suppliers in person when the ruler changes."

Bo huffed, folding her arms and hovering warily at her brother's shoulder, but she didn't say anything.

Celegwen

"Thank you," Kery said, putting his arms out to the side and giving a sarcastic bow. Whether or they were his superiors didn't matter. La Volpe didn't kneel.

He flopped back on a chair and put his ankle on his knee. "You're free to go whenever you wish, but there are some dangerous people out there. Alderon Finicci is one of them. Forget his sister. She's powerful, but only in muscle. Dr. Finicci is powerful in strength, mind, and connections. You piss him off, you'll make very angry enemies of the Friends. Take my advice and don't do that."

Kery stood up, opening a small drawer and taking out a very tiny whistle. He extended it to Arryn. "You need anything, blow on this. I'm gonna need that back when you leave Zantaric, though."

DragonSong

"Um...right." Arryn glanced at Bo, then the door behind them, then reached out to take the whistle. "That's- that's really very kind. Thank you."

He nodded politely, almost a half bow, though Bo remained rigid at his side. "We should...probably be going, then," the young lord said with a small smile. "Thanks again for your help back there."

Celegwen

Kery simply nodded, returning to his seat and not saying anything further to keep the duo in his little hideout.

Outside, Selusa crouched atop one of the buildings along the main street. She stayed as still as a statue, waiting for the newcomers to emerge. Whatever they were there for definitely wasn't done yet, so she knew it wouldn't be long before they returned to the area.

DragonSong

"Okay...bye then," Arryn murmured as Bo started shuffling him toward the door, carefully poking her head out to observe the street before she crept out ahead of him.

Tags: