Advertise/Affiliate Other Forum Main Page The World Before You Play

* War's A-brewin'!

There is a civil war brewing in Connlaoth! Check out its info page here and its plotting page here!
The SotE video game is accepting crafting item submissions right here!

Also, we have a Discord chat server! Check it out. 8D

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Everywhere Else / Re: A Simple Break-in for Minor Commercial Gain (Alize)
« Last post by Alize on January 17, 2018, 11:15:42 PM »
Unable to shake the feeling of eyes staring at the back of her head, Kino stepped forward and took point. This hallway was identical to the last, with a moss-green carpet and flickering emerald lamps.

A whorehouse? No, that wasn't quite right. Hildegarde's attire - while revealing enough - was quite unlike that of any streetwalker that Kino had ever see. It was more akin to something that belonged in a bored and decadent noble's costume ball. Yeah, that was it. One of those Connlaothian affairs where the ladies would all try to outdo each other with the most garish gowns and decadent dresses possible, like frumpy pink peacocks.

Kino guffawed at the image - Hildegarde Von Musel's head on a pink peacock's body, bobbing her head back and forth as she waddle-strutted around a ballroom. Classic.

"Pffft. Ahem. That's nonsense. I quite like your outfit. It's... distinguished. If the old fart can't see that, then his lack of fashion sense is but one more reason he deserves what's coming." She hoped she sounded sincere.

A few paces in, Kino paused to scatter more banyan. She reckoned she had enough bark to get the party to the end of the hallway, then they'd be at the mercy of the addled thaumaturge's demented tricks and traps. She hoped that the damned fool's laboratory was close.
Moraki Desert / Re: Falsification
« Last post by Magyar on January 17, 2018, 09:09:29 PM »
While he let her hands stay for a moment, Bolion didn't want this to be more than it was. He brushed her hands away, gentle but firm. "It's fine," He began, but decided that wasn't enough, "It's more than fine, it isn't your fault. Don't think of it."

He knew very little of her inner turmoil, only privy to the fact that it was happening most times. He could, however, get the general gist of her hurt. It only ever seemed to surface at times when he alluded to the future - but more importantly, their continued future - or to her past. Perhaps she thought of her husband still quite often. Maybe what he said was what reminded her. He did not think that to dwell on such things was wise, and cast the thoughts from his mind... but they still held quietly, on the edge of his consciousness. The sun only seemed to grow hotter as he rode on.
Matron's Hallow / Re: Der Geheime Staatspolizei
« Last post by Magyar on January 17, 2018, 09:03:48 PM »
Gwynne's armour scraped angrily against the cheap wooden walls of the Tanner's house. He probably shouldn't have brought his shield, if only because of these stairs. Every step was accentuated by a scratching gash into the wall, not deep but certainly not subtle. There would surely be a line dug into the panelling behind him, erratic and wavering with his gait.

There was nothing to be done about it now.

"Go away! I don't want to go to the church!"

Gwynne's brow furrowed, and his scowl deepened as he heard the voice. Why, by Ansgar's bleeding lips, did it have to be a child? His grip on the haft of his hammer tightened until the leather squeaked. In his realisation, he had paused on the steps. Forcing himself to continue, up and into the room, he hated what he would have to do. Each step was a lifetime and a heartbeat, mechanical and effortless but wracked by the knowledge of his now and future sin.

He would not take this child.

Then, through the door, over Mittermeyer's shoulder... he saw the source of that torturous voice. A young girl, barely beyond a babe, blonde as the sun and dirtier than all the rest of her family combined. Too young even to truly understand the situation in which she was placed as a result of her birth, but still... terrified.

He would not take this child.
Wester Highlands / Re: No Cure For Bad Luck (Magyar)
« Last post by Magyar on January 17, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »
"Leaving him could result in our future damnation," Raoun warned, though Naia berated him for his pessimistic language. Truth was truth, however, and a haggard angel man travelling with a na´ve healing boy and occasionally a spirit-like vanishing woman were not something easily forgotten. If this man were to notify authorities of them... it would make both of their journeys all the more dangerous - regardless of if they continued together or split later.

"As grim as he puts it, Raoun is not wrong," Naialei chimed, her ghostly features almost translucent against the gray stone, "You humans have a propensity for the holding of grudges."
Hyoite / Re: Ice Cold Death {Open To All}
« Last post by Jiaolong on January 17, 2018, 08:23:38 PM »
Ruby flung out his weapon, dropping his disguise. As the wolf lunged, he stuck out his weapon in front of him, trying to pierce the wolf's pelt.

He narrowed his eyes at the woman. She was bad news. "I normally don't try to interfere with someone else's matters, but this unfortunately will affect me as well. I only sense malice from you." He paused, taking a few steps back from the surrounding wolves. "What are you trying to do to that house?"
Seaside Town of Cerenis / Re: Stranger in a Strange Land [Aeyt!]
« Last post by Viscount Rhi-Rhi on January 17, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
Niamh snatched back her coin purse and tucked it away, glaring all the while at the thief. It was a good thing the guardsman had showed up when he did; Niamh had been dying to bloody the thief's face for what he'd put her through. And had he been the one who groped her? She felt tainted still, more angry about that than even her coin purse.

She figured the thief was busted, fit to be punished for his crime--lose a hand, maybe--but to her shock, the guardsman let him go. Her jaw dropped as the thief, Zipper, zipped away and was gone, and she whirled on the guardsman, staring at him in horror.

"Smiled on me? If that is your idea of some fake idol smiling on me, she sounds like a sick goddess, indeed!" she snapped, bristling. "He assaulted me! He...he touched me places not fit for mention! And you're just letting him go? So he can just do it again?! You may as well not have helped at all!"
Zantaric / Re: All Lit Up (SDB!)
« Last post by Eckhart_Von_Musel on January 17, 2018, 03:43:21 PM »
The air was crisp and chilly as Randal made his way to his third favorite place in the city- the only candy shop in Zantaric. Blue Orchid had exceeded their sales goals for the month, and it was cause to celebrate! The boy grinned as he felt the surplus of coins in his pocket. "Maybe they'll have maple nut toffee today!"

A familiar sounding voice snapped the boy out of his fantasies. "Hello!" he said as he turned around. His face went blank as he saw who it was. "Oh no!" he thought, eyes beginning to widen. "Taza told me not to talk to her!" He shifted in his feet uncomfortably. "But I can't tell her that I won't talk to her! That would be rude!" He swallowed. "I can't pretend I didn't hear her, I'm already staring right at her! What do I do?"

"Um..." Randal said. "I gotta go!" With that he'd hurry away. "Please, please don't follow me!"
Seaside Town of Cerenis / Re: Stranger in a Strange Land [Aeyt!]
« Last post by Aeytrious on January 17, 2018, 03:20:11 PM »
         Zipper had his goal in sight. A window sill with a small overhang above it. He could leap his way to the roof tops and get above the crowds. Then he could disappear. Just a few more strides and he’d be home free. There was no way that guard was catching him.
        “Oof,” Zipper grunted as he was tackled to the ground. “Give me back my stuff, you cur!” The Mark had her arms wrapped around him, and she was not letting go. Zipper pushed, and tried to kick the woman off, but the angle was wrong. He swung back an elbow, but it didn’t really connect right. No matter how he scrambled he wasn’t getting loose, at least not before that guard caught up.
        Guardsman Reid caught up quickly. He liked to keep fit, not like many of the other slack off guards that were growing fat under the Soot Wolves. Reid reached down picking up Niamh and Zipper, making sure to keep a good grip on the thief.
        “You know the drill Scavenger, give the woman her things.” At Reid’s command Zipper handed over the coin purse. “Good, now give me your marker and your name.” Zipper rooted around for a wooden token, painted brown and marked with a Wolf insignia, and gave it to Reid.
        “They call me Zipper, on accoun’ o’ me bein’ so fast.” The boy inflated with a bit of pride, even as Reid glared at him.
        “Not so fast today now were ya?” Reid pointed out. Zipper visibly deflated. “Well, get outta here Zipper, hope this failure doesn’t cost you too much.” With that, he let the Scavenger Wolf go. Zipper was up to the roof in moments and gone from sight. Had he not been a Wolf, Reid would have taken him to the guard house. Bad things happened to non-Wolves operating in Wolf territory. Then Reid turned to the disheveled Niamh.
        “The goddess has smiled on you today it seems. It’s not often that a Scavenger is caught. If you follow me to my post we have a healer.”
Northern Serendipity / Re: Lady of the Lake [Aeyt!]
« Last post by Viscount Rhi-Rhi on January 17, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »
Such an interesting kind of magic he had, that ability to speak to the plants. Adamaris watched Kheelan work curiously as he formed the table--but it was the knife that truly piqued her interest, and the fish laid out on the table.

Kheelan began slicing, and Adamaris's breath stilled, her blood pumping audibly in her ears. She curled her hands into loose fists, staring, transfixed, as the knife rose and fell, taking off the head and leaving a little puddle of blood, and soon its belly was opened and its innards spilled out. She swallowed, watching them get scooped aside. It was offal. Bad meat, meat no one wanted, but she wanted to taste it. Wanted to know what it would feel like to crunch those bones between her teeth.

She let her breath out slowly. She had to fight those thoughts. They weren't normal, and they were wrong and intrusive and even dangerous, little flashes of scenes playing out in her mind. This wasn't the worse thing she'd imagined, but she had to control even the little ones--otherwise thoughts would lead to impulses, and impulses would lead to action.

At least, that was what she feared. It had happened before--but she had been young then.

She was older now. That was behind her.

She looked away until Kheelan finished, and when he was done and demonstrated the meat's safety by eating a chunk for himself, and knelt down before the table and examined the cubes. "That so?" she said. She should be disgusted. That was raw fish, after all! Was she really hungry enough to try it? Well, she had heard rumors that in some places, it was a delicacy, and she had enjoyed fish eggs when she'd had them, and those had been raw.

Perhaps it wasn't so strange.

"I imagine one bite won't kill me," she said, still caught somewhere between what she knew was strange and inappropriate, and what she wanted. She picked up a cube, sniffed it, and then popped it into her mouth with far less hesitancy than she should have shown.

...And gods, was it good.

The soft texture, so different from dry, cooked meat. The salty taste of blood, soaked into the flesh and mingling with the natural, earthy sweetness of the fish. Adamaris closed her eyes to savor it, already craving more--and somewhere deep inside feeling like it wasn't enough. What would other raw creatures taste like?

She cracked her eyes open at the unbidden thought, and swallowed down her bite. "I'll admit, I wasn't expecting it to taste so good. I would have never thought to try it raw."
Adela / Vel Hartmut
« Last post by SilverDragonsBlood on January 17, 2018, 02:40:12 PM »
__________QUICK STATS

Name: Vel Hartmut

Species: Human

Height: 6'

Ethnicity: unknown

Residence: between Ketra and Arca

__________IN-DEPTH STUFF

Physical Description
A handsome, young man, Vel stands tall with well defined muscles that are usually hidden beneath robes or armor. He has a strong jaw with thin lips that are usually turned slightly upward. He has enchanting violet eyes beneath a firm brow, and his dark brown hair is on the shorter side.

He has two styles; day and night.

His daily dress is usually dark colored. He wears crimson pants inside brown leather boots with matching bands around both thighs. Vel has a black undershirt that's almost never visible beneath his black tunic. He wears a navy-grey half shirt with a high collar and a clasp in the front. More often than not, he has a red scarf on to hide a long scar that reaches across almost half of his neck. He has brown fingerless gloves that almost reach his elbows. He also wears a thick belt around his waist that supports his sword on the right side, and satchel and coin pouches on the left.

When night comes, Vel takes on a whole new look. He wears black pants tucked into knee-high armored boots. His shirt is grey and covered by a grey-brown tunic. He wears a silver and brown breastplate, as well as matching armguards. He wears a red hooded cloak and red fingerless gloves. Vel carries two swords crossed on his back. He also wears a helm that looks like it's fabric. It covers his head, nose, and mouth, leaving only his piercingly powerful eyes in sight.

Personality
Just like his clothing, Vel has two sides to him. He is proud and mysterious, never letting anyone truly get close to him. He enjoys being seen as an enigma, as no one knows the details of what brought him to the two cities and where he even came from. He's confident and authoritative, not taking nonsense from anyone. He'll fight for what he believes in and stand for the 'little guy' whenever he deems it necessary.

On the other hand, he is a thief and spy, willing to kill when necessary. He sees what he wants and takes it under the cover of night. He's fiercely intelligent and knows how to blend, making it difficult to actually pin anything on him.

Vel is a spiritual man, believing that there are forces at work beyond what anyone can comprehend. Then again, he also fancies himself good at reading signs and omens from the above, as well as being a good guide for people when they don't know where to turn.

Magic/Abilities
Vel is an exceptional fighter with swords, daggers, fists, bows, etc. If you can name it, he can use it. He's agile and determined, making him a devastating adversary. He's also incredibly stealthy, where you wouldn't even know it if he was standing right behind you.

He also is quite skilled at reading spiritual messages. He has a connection to the spiritual world that he has never been able to explain, but it has always been there.

Relationships
None - at least none that he talks about

History
He won't say. Vel is a secretive man and refuses to share where he came from or anything about his past. If someone can get close enough to him, maybe it will be possible to piece it together from the little hints he drops over time...

___________THREAD TRACKER

Current

Complete
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10